New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

furious OOTS #603 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #603 - The Discussion Thread

Haley's gonna kick a lot of asses...

And the cleric survived another strip. Hooray, all around...
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2008-10-23 at 04:46 AM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Poor Toby. He wasn't even in three panels before he died.

And he had a name, too.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good comic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like the message to Durkon.
    I wonder how it will be perceived.

Uhm, and they left Belkar behind...
    Last edited by Jan Mattys; 2008-10-23 at 04:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I do hope Haley does have the money for the triple fees... It'd be rather embarassing to find herself out of money to resurrect Roy because she had to spend it all on other spells...

(I assume that money is not limitless, given that she did not want to spend any for Belkar's cure)

BTW, I love how things are MOVING again. All that slow development really accentuates the action of this series :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Iuris View Post
    I do hope Haley does have the money for the triple fees... It'd be rather embarassing to find herself out of money to resurrect Roy because she had to spend it all on other spells...

(I assume that money is not limitless, given that she did not want to spend any for Belkar's cure)
    Well, if the cleric successfully contacts Durkon, she won't need to spend money on Roy's resurrection. Durkon will do it for free when he gets there.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, that was before I remembered everyone I grew up with was an *******." Fantastic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I thought Haley was being unnecessarily mean and preachy when she initially refused to have Belkar de-cursed. After all, she didn't know whom he killed and why - and, his personality nonwithstanding, most of the time he killed someone in the recent past it was a bad guy.

But now she's just being stupid. She should have him healed ASAP, even if it was just to prod him towards the front line as a makeshift meatshield. (Belkar, with his proven singleminded destructiveness, would probably not even notice, much less mind, it.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Waiiiit... ******* is used in the comic, but it is censored on the boards?

How's that work?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

11. - Top - End - #11

Haley had better never meet Michael Vick.

Or maybe she should...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I think "woo Haley, you go girl" about covers it.

Can't wait for the next strip.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Koshiro View Post
    I thought Haley was being unnecessarily mean and preachy when she initially refused to have Belkar de-cursed. After all, she didn't know whom he killed and why - and, his personality nonwithstanding, most of the time he killed someone in the recent past it was a bad guy.
    The last person he killed in front of Haley was an innocent gnome traveler.

But now she's just being stupid. She should have him healed ASAP, even if it was just to prod him towards the front line as a makeshift meatshield. (Belkar, with his proven singleminded destructiveness, would probably not even notice, much less mind, it.)
    And what would she have done with him afterwards? She knows she can't control him. Plus, she already refused to have him de-cursed in front of him, so if he is de-cursed now, he may well turn on her. And she still can't win against him in a close-range duel.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Wait. Sneak attack? He's standing there looking at her. He's standing there talking to her. Is it a sneak attack because she suddenly attacks in the middle of a conversation. Which interrupted a fight.

Granted the fight could be said to start with him speaking first, then Haley, then his turn again, then Haley uses a sneak attack. I thought speaking was a free action though.

Must remember that's how the rules work :)
    Last edited by Dark Wolf; 2008-10-23 at 05:03 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Remnants of party from previous DM's campaign appeared in a ruined castle along with new players after they stopped a ritual that went wrong. They were just in time to stop another ritual.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another fun comic.

I don't imagine there's any real significance to the thread icon, unless it's supposed to represent Haley's mood in this case, but I found it funny that the strip update thread has an icon usually used for complaining.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wolf View Post
    Wait. Sneak attack? He's standing there looking at her. He's standing there talking to her. Is it a sneak attack because she suddenly attacks in the middle of a conversation. Which interrupted a fight. Must remember that's how the rules work :)
    All you have to do to get a sneak attack when there's not surprise round is win initiative. Which she clearly does, since she calls for the initiative roll in the same panel. So in other words, it goes like this:

DM: The rogue draws his daggers and advances. Roll initiative; he got a 10.
    Haley's Player: I got a 17! Sneak Attack!
    Spod has it right.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    And what would she have done with him afterwards? She knows she can't control him. Plus, she already refused to have him de-cursed in front of him, so if he is de-cursed now, he may well turn on her. And she still can't win against him in a close-range duel.
    Or he just dies in the battle against the guild.

This is a likely outcome, in my opinion. Haley gets beaten but not killed, Celia gets away. The guild breaks in the room, the cleric heals Belkar to have a weapon ready, but Belkar kills him and wreaks havoc among the thieves, but fails ultimately and dies before Celia performs a deus ex machina or something.

Simon

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    I like the message to Durkon.
    I wonder how it will be perceived.

Uhm, and they left Belkar behind...
    I think the cleric is going to cure Belkar´s condition. That´s the better chance of himself (and Celia, and Haley) surviving this encounter.

19. - Top - End - #19

Woo! Go Haley!
    Thanks to the great Exeson for the avatar!

Member of the "That Guy with a Halberd" Fanclub

20. - Top - End - #20

SolithKnightGuy

I have to admit, #602 - and I didn't want to post this - left me rolling my eyes a bit and wondering "how long will this drag out?"

Now with #603, I feel newly invigorated! This comic just KICKED ASS. I *loved* Haley's quickly-made-up plan, I loved her taking charge and the thoughtful way she implemented the plan. I loved her moment of regret over knowing the people she would fight and her quick change of heart about it when it hit her about just how well she really does know these people.

But, all in all, the BEST part is that I see light at the end of the tunnel, and hope that the Order will finally be together again as a group. Perhaps sans V at the moment, but hey! If we can get Roy resurrected, and get Roy/Haley/Belkar/Celia (yeah, I'll include her at this time) back with Elan and Durkon, then I'll call it a win right now!!!

Anyway...great job, Giant. And yeah, I'll include 602 in that compliment, since it set up 603. Which is part of the fun, right?

And yeah...I like the cleric. I hope he's not TOO temporary. If he filled in V's spot on the team for a while, I wouldn't mind it too much. Still, I would love to see V back before too long. In the real world, groups split up and change over time...but this is fiction, and the focus of the story is on this group. I'd rather it be more like the Peanuts with a largely unchanging (possibly expanding) cast of characters. And less like the Justice League, with its rotating cast of changing (and sometimes forgettable; anyone else remember Vibe besides me?) characters.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    All you have to do to get a sneak attack when there's not surprise round is win initiative. Which she clearly does, since she calls for the initiative roll in the same panel.
    Ok. It seems I'm confusing Surprise attack and Sneak attack.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Remnants of party from previous DM's campaign appeared in a ruined castle along with new players after they stopped a ritual that went wrong. They were just in time to stop another ritual.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Darn, I sure hope that the cleric ressurects belkar so he can do his heroic last stand there. And as he takes his last shuddering breaths Haley will forgive him his missdeeds, or smth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah I know this is so cliché, but anyway

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimus View Post
    I think the cleric is going to cure Belkar´s condition. That´s the better chance of himself (and Celia, and Haley) surviving this encounter.
    My thought, too. I don't remember clerical spell, but could the Loki priest dominate or impose a quest on the feebled Belkar (his Will save should be even more rubbish that normal, this moment), than de-curse him to use as meat shield?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Really the only people Belkar's killed in the "recent past" was a hobgoblin, a gnome trader and the Oracle - and Haley knows whoever Belkar killed must have been at the Oracle's place, since that is where he became ill, ergo that is where his mark activated.

And in the case of the first two neither of them were planned and certainly highlighted in Haley's eye how little control she really had over him.

I don't think so, she seems to have a plan, and a fairly pragmatic one at that. Belkar, being Belkar, could be a dangerous variable. Sure, he probably would happily kill the thieves. Afterwards? Chaotic evil, unpredictable Belkar in evil city with no MoJ or Roy to control him?

At the very least he's safe where he is.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Btw, anyone think Celia's reference to her not being able to be raised is a bad sign?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I loved the strip.
    I think everything went pretty cool and I loved Celia`s drawing of the old Durkon on the wall.

I do to wonder if the message may be messed with, specially with the guild gets in the room while he is casting it and somehow disrupt the spell.

Im also wondering if:

Haley and Celia are surrounded. they are both wounded. badly. Then the big boss cames along. And when they think its their end... V shows up, looking like hell (perhaps literally) to save the day and kills everyone. (except for celia and haley).
    After all we do not know what V has been doing for the past 8 days and if he indeed made any contracts with the imp.

It would also be great because at first, haley perhaps wouldn`t notice the crazy-evil thing going on with V - he saved her after all - but when se goes hug him... se realizes how twisted her friend has become.

Oh good moments
    Last edited by Njord; 2008-10-23 at 05:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I lol'ed at the last panel. I haven't done that in a while.
    The problem with a knife fighting monkey is that unless you let him win, you have to keep buying a new one.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grunjon View Post
    (and sometimes forgettable; anyone else remember Vibe besides me?)
    Yeah, Vibe. The Marvel's Victor rip-off. Or the one Victor ripped off. Or... but really, who cares?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Haley's talking to Toby was to make him temporarily forget she was a threat, so she would then get a surprise round, and all that that entails.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #30

I think Bozzok gave his crew the old "Make sure you attack the good guy...er girl one at a time" speech.