New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Non-Dysfunctional sample characters.

We all know that all sample characters break the rules which they are supposed to be showcasing: but is this true ?

Are there any example characters, in any books, which are correct ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Non-Dysfunctional sample characters.

I wanted to say that probably the majority of sample characters are correct and that people only tend to accentuate the negative, and backing up my claim with a random sample character.

So I opened Complete Warrior and looked at the sample Bear Warrior. Hey look, his HP are miscalculated. He should have 119 hp instead of 114 (12 + 6,5*11 + 36 = 119,5).

Yeah, I give up

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

"max at first level and half at each following level" is not actually an official rule, as far as I know.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom View Post
    "max at first level and half at each following level" is not actually an official rule, as far as I know.
    Well, if it's not an official rule then the warblade stat block in tome of battle is wrong. He has 5 HD, each of which are d12's, and 16 con. If you don't max out the first hit die, then that's 9.5 HP per level, which comes out to 47.5 HP. His HP is listed at 53 which means that his first hit die was maxed out. I went into that book to look up the stat block of the incorrectly religioned ruby knight vindicator, so I'll do that one too. It has 4d10, from crusader, 4d8 from cleric 1/ RKV 3 and no con at all. Altogether, that comes out to 40 HP, and the HP is listed at 39. That's close enough I think. So, it's arbitrary I guess? Stat blocks are dumb.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You are still allowed to actually roll the HP of characters after level 1, yes? In which case, any result within the minimum and maximum possible would be 'correct' from a rules perspective.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    You are still allowed to actually roll the HP of characters after level 1, yes? In which case, any result within the minimum and maximum possible would be 'correct' from a rules perspective.
    Sort of, but for monsters, and therefore presumably most NPCs, taking the average of possible values is conventional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom View Post
    Actually, it is. Elite characters get max hp at first level. DMG p. 110.

And since all sample characters do not have average ability scores, they are by definition elite.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Monster Manual p. 5 describes the hp in its stat blocks as the 'average' for such a creature (not the hp for the average creature, I might add).
    DMG p. 110 tells you to use the same method as stated in PHB when bulding an NPC from scratch. This would include rolling hp, unless you use the variant of getting average hp and choose to apply it.

I find no textual support to indicate that NPCs can't have rolled hp.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Actually, it is. Elite characters get max hp at first level. DMG p. 110.

And since all sample characters do not have average ability scores, they are by definition elite.
    Well, there ya go then. The bear warrior is dysfunctional, and the ruby knight vindicator is double-dysfunctional because of the whole incorrect god thing. As a plus though, the warblade is evidently not dysfunctional, so we can slot that one under the category indicated by the thread title for now. Hooray, I guess, for we have found a single stat block without a glaring error.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2013-05-16 at 04:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

You haven't actually been looking, though, have you? The bear warrior's reported mistake isn't one, and you mention two (in)famous counts of a bad stat block.
    I think Zombimode was right in his initial reaction, things are probably less bad than the impression we give by pointing out the actual mistakes.
    Last edited by hymer; 2013-05-16 at 04:38 AM.