New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Respectful term for nonbinary people and people of unknown gender?

Just re-introduce thou and be be done with it! There is noting wrong with T-V distinction.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

if i don't have previous aquintance with the person i go with whatever feels more natural. i do this as respectfully as posible.

if they respectfully tell me to adress them otherwise i'll do so. if they are rude doing so i'll call on their rudness and won't adress them untill they change their tone.

i don't play the game of "how did you dare call me?". Nor will i play a guessing game.

There are some standards in society. Being an exception to those standards is a choice and it's up to you to inform that you don't want to play by the social standards; until i am informed of the fact i have to treat you by formal social etticet otherwise i'd consider myself rude towards you.

Furthermore i have bought an english title of Lord for my passport. if someone would have me address them on a weird pronoun i'd have them address me as my formal title of Lord just to have a hillarious conversation. :P

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    I have had a man put me through attempted brainwashing via DnD because I didn't notice the red flags about his misogyny early on. (He, like many other misogynists, would never have admitted to hating women. We are simply objects to him, objects he wants to serve a specific purpose, and apparently he was greatly offended that I choose to not be a sexy submissive housewife for some male)

And I was lucky. He actually hit on another woman in that group, who fortunately wasn't interested in him for unrelated reasons.

Men usually don't understand that, for women, this is a question of safety. I actually invited that emotionally abusive a-hole to my home. What would he have done if I had asked him to leave when he finally showed his true face, instead of nodding and smiling and waiting for him to leave on his own accord and then telling him he wasn't welcome back? I don't know. But I know I wouldn't have been able to overpower him in a fight, not without using potentially lethal methods.

So, don't wave that red flag if you don't want women to run away. Just saying.

(Also, lots and lots of women are killed by doctors who just dismiss their existence when testing medication, dismiss their pain, dismiss their heart attack symptoms. We cannot right that if we do not acknowledge it exists.)
    As harrowing as that anecdote is, it is not representative of the term "dude" and a sample size of exactly one does not inspire my confidence in your study of the correlation between misidentifying someone and sociopathic tendencies.

Only women? Mostly women? Is there a study?
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Just re-introduce thou and be be done with it! There is noting wrong with T-V distinction.
    There is also nothing necessary about a distinction between singular and plural, anymore than there is a need for words to be gendered. Adverbs and adjectives already can fill that niche when the context might be in doubt.

Put another way: many languages have distinctive version of the first person plural - inclusive and exclusive. So if I say "we've won the lottery", in those languages you can tell if that includes you, the listener, or not. But while it's a neat characteristic, it's hardly essential - English and French both lack it, and it has yet to lead to major issues.

Genderization of language, on the other hand, does lead to issues such as reinforcement of cultural mores. So I find that using "they" as the standard pronoun for everyone would be a much better scenario than status quo, which is why I use it and bring it up every time.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe I should have taken a page from Pendell’s book and signed that ‘‘tongue-in-cheek’’.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    etticet
    Etiquette.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Maybe I should have taken a page from Pendell’s book and signed that ‘‘tongue-in-cheek’’.
    Bah. Everyone knows the French are only funny when dinning with fools.

[/tongue-in-cheek]

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Bah. Everyone knows the French are only funny when dinning with fools.

[/tongue-in-cheek]

Grey Wolf
    Unlike wolves who consider dining a most serious event, whatever the company.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-04-12 at 09:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Spoiler: They
    Show

Singular Nominative Accusative Genitive
    Male He Him His
    Female She Her Her
    Neutral (Human) They Them Their
    Neutral (object) It It Its

Plural Nominative Accusative Genitive
    Everything They Them Their

Issues: Uses the same pronoun for singular and plural.

because nearly everyday they bring battle against the Germans, either keeping them from their lands or waging war themselves in their territory. —translated from Bellum Gallicum 1.1

Spoiler: Xe
    Show

Male He Him His
    Female She Her Her
    Other Xe Xem Xer

Issues: I don't know how to pronounce them. Also, I dislike the letter "x".

Spoiler: Ze
    Show

Male He Him His
    Female She Her Her
    Other Ze Zir Zes

Issues: I dislike the letter "z".

Spoiler: Ze, version two
    Show

Male He Him His
    Female She Her Her
    Other Ze Zem Zir

Issues: I dislike the letter "z".

Spoiler: Ze, version three
    Show

Male He Him His
    Female She Her Her
    Other Ze Hir Hir

Issues: "Hir" looks like it would be pronounced "her." Also, I dislike the letter "z".

(Source: What I remember being advocated + Wikipedia. Also The Extinguisher. Let me know if I missed something/screwed up.)

Conclusion: Nothing will make English be consistent. Let us just steal something from another language already.

—Caerulea
    All valid concerns. If anyone wants some more discussion of the issues (or perceived issues) with many of the options, I enjoyed this article: https://genderneutralpronoun.wordpre...utral-pronoun/

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    The point was that English pronouns are terrible. The sentence is perfectly unambiguous and clear in Latin. When translated to English, you get a mess of they and them. I wanted to point out that adding yet more uses to they could lead to even more confusing sentences.

—Caerulea
    Regarding the singular they, it's already in use in many cases. This would simply be an expansion of that use.

I actually had this discussion with my mother-in-law a while back. She was concerned that "they" was specifically plural and would result in confusion. For a couple hours after that, I listed to our conversations, and pointed out where she unconsciously used the singular "they" already. After 3 or 4 times, she laughed and admitted that ok, it's already super common. It just might require some care if the context isn't clear (just like "you" does).

Some examples of current use, generally when talking about a theoretical person with no determined gender:
    - Somebody left their hat on the hook.
    - If this made a person sick, I'd feel bad for them.
    - Even one person can make a difference by donating their time to the cause!

(Also, I just learned, singular they dates back to at least the 1300s, and includes such users as Shakespeare and Jane Austen. https://www.dictionary.com/e/they-is...gular-pronoun/ )

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    Only women? Mostly women? Is there a study?
    Not only, or maybe even mostly, but at a much larger rate than men were, historically. There are, in fact, studies, though I don't have them on hand. I'd suggest reading up on the medical history of the condition known as Hysteria, aka "Women be crazy because they gots a uterus!"

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria
    "With so many possible symptoms, historically hysteria was considered a catchall diagnosis where any unidentifiable ailment could be assigned."
    https://www.glamour.com/story/the-hi...-with-hysteria
    epilepsy was frequently confused with hysteria

There are other things as well, including the fact that most medical research was done with the male body for a long time, so medical techniques just weren't developed with women in mind. These things have gotten much better in recent years, but still aren't perfect.
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2019-04-12 at 09:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

1) As a resident of the San Francisco bay area "Dude" hella repels me, it's an L.A.-ism and is right out no matter the genders of those addressed!

2) "Folks" instead of "Ladies and gentlemen" works fine.

3) 'Please excuse me ma'am" and "Pardon me sir" are easily substituted with "Please excuse me" and "Pardon me".

So what's the problem again?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    1) As a resident of the San Francisco bay area "Dude" hella repels me, it's an L.A.-ism
    What about His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Isn't there a world like "hey peeps" from "people", not that I think about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyway, in the interests of actually contributing.

Tā in Chinese, for some reason means both He and She when spoken. Despite the words having distinctive written symbols.

Tā de = His / Her (Of Him/Her, literally translated.)

Tā = He/She

Tāmen = He/she in the plural.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What about His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing?

"His Dudeness" is passable, "Duder" is marginal, "El Duderino" is repulsive.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "El Duderino" is repulsive.
    I love Spanish, but it is the last language you want to borrow from when looking for any kind of gender-neutral word. They're so gendered, they've got genders in their genders, iykwim.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Anyway, in the interests of actually contributing.

Tā in Chinese, for some reason means both He and She when spoken. Despite the words having distinctive written symbols.

Tā de = His / Her (Of Him/Her, literally translated.)

Tā = He/She

Tāmen = He/she in the plural.
    Georgian and Armenian also have no gender-specific pronouns-- Armenian has the same pronoun for men and women (and presumably for non-binary people), and Georgian goes even further and has the same pronoun for pretty much any third person reference, whether it's a person of any gender, an animal, or an object.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I love Spanish, but it is the last language you want to borrow from when looking for any kind of gender-neutral word. They're so gendered, they've got genders in their genders, iykwim.

Grey Wolf
    Seriously. "El Duderino" contains three separate male-gendered parts, in only two words!

So if nothing else is accomplished here, at least we've rules out El Duderino.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Grey Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Seriously. "El Duderino" contains three separate male-gendered parts, in only two words!

So if nothing else is accomplished here, at least we've rules out El Duderino.
    The Dude abides.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #199

Here's an 18th century rant about how singular "you" is destroying the English language.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2019-04-12 at 04:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Here's a 17th century rant about how singular "you" is destroying the English language.
    Plus ça change...

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-12 at 02:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a 17th century rant about how singular "you" is destroying the English language.
    Pahahahahahahahahaha!

I'mma remember that one.

Thanks, Mr Ellwood. Not the memorial you might have wanted, but apparently, as you're been in print since 1714 (so, 18th century, 137ben, yes I am that pedant...), so, hey.

(For the record, I do use "they" in that format if required, now I think about it, which, to be fair, I also forgot to mention in my previous rant, not that anyone was paying attention anyway...)

22. - Top - End - #202

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Regarding the singular they, it's already in use in many cases. This would simply be an expansion of that use.
    Singular they is the best possible candidate, in my opinion.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Here's an 18th century rant about how singular "you" is destroying the English language.
    Wow, talk about getting worked up over nothing.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #204

So, themselves or themself?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #205

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So, themselves or themself?
    I use themself for a singular they. It just makes far more sense and reduces ambiguity, and the only "Drawback" is annoying linguistic prescriptivists (although my spellcheck thinks that "Themself" and indeed "Spellcheck" are words but "Prescriptivists" isn't. Not sure what the moral of that is).

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. So that's why we treat each other so badly. Here I was blaming the internet.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Huh. So that's why we treat each other so badly. Here I was blaming the internet.
    You want to know what happened, when he began thouing and theeing his father?

"...whenever I had occasion to speak to my father, though I had no hat now to offend him [the author had stopped taking off his hat before his dad], yet my language did as much; fur I durst not say "you" to him, but "thou", or "thee" as the occasion required, and then would he be sure to fall on me with his fists.

At one of these times, I remember, when he had beaten me in that manner, he commanded me, as he commonly did at such times, to go to my chamber, which I did, and he followed me to the bottom of the stairs. Being come thither, he gave me a parting blow, and in a very angry tone said, "Sirrah, if ever I hear you say 'thou' or 'thee' to me again, I'll strike your teeth down your throat." "

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

So if I understand correctly, Dad got offended when the author said "you" but also got offended when addressed as "thou".

Looks like Dad was looking for an excuse to be offended. Another thing I was blaming on the internet.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    So if I understand correctly, Dad got offended when the author said "you" but also got offended when addressed as "thou".

Looks like Dad was looking for an excuse to be offended. Another thing I was blaming on the internet.
    I think the dad was only offended when addressed as "thou", which is why the child made a point to use it.