New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Iron MK II [3.5 Construct Resource]

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Hmmm, but what part of the dryad? Tree stride? Speak with plants?
    No, an actual Dryad.

Lay on hands is already taken by the positive energy core.
    Then casting as a cleric of HD/X.

Well, that's not really a function of the core itself, however. Steam gives you a steam breath weapon, but that's sort of core-related I think.
    Use of energy from the core to do damage, and the only thing I could think of.

So, like, a bonus essentia or something?
    Yeah.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    No, an actual Dryad.

Then casting as a cleric of HD/X.

Use of energy from the core to do damage, and the only thing I could think of.

Yeah.
    A dryad companion? That's... That's kinda awesome. I could certainly see a liveoak construct being made of a dryad's tree, which would definitely allow the dryad mobility. However, I think that's been done before. I can't recall the name exactly, but it was actually a treant/dryad combo. Also, no, because that's way too powerful. The cores are supposed to be relatively minor benefits.

Also no, since a warforged could get it's hands on these, and I REALLY don't want to give away free spellcasting. Plus, mindless constructs probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

Hmm. Maybe if I... *Strokes chin*

Yeah, I already finished that one at this point.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123

Alright, cores are finally finished! I'm going to go pop over to my totem barbarian thread and make a totem or two, but I'll be back to make the big three RL vehicles: Cars, bikes, and planes.

Here's the cores. I posted them up in the first post at the bottom of 'features'.
    Cores
    Spoiler
    Show
    When crafting a construct, the crafter may choose to replace the traditional construct core with a different sort of core. These cores have a number of effects, and often require the construct to be designed around the core in question, but they provide unique benefits to the constructs including them. Cores are generally around the size of a large fist, and sit well-protected deep in a construct’s chest.

Spellbound Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a six-inch cylinder, with a dozen parallel band wrapped around it. The ends are open, each opening ringed with a circle of geometric lines. Each band has several dozen runes scribed into it, circling around the tube. When installed properly, the runes glow a faint blue and begin generating pulses of energy that shoot out each end of the cylinder.

A construct with this core gains the ability to tap into it’s arcane lifeblood to empower it’s arcane spells and spell-like abilities. When using an arcane spell or spell-like ability, the construct may choose to increase it’s caster level for the effect by one and take 1d8 points of damage. If the construct has more that 8 HD, it may increase it’s caster level by two and take 2d8 points of damage, and if it has more than 15 HD, it may increase it’s caster level by 3 and take 3d8 points of damage. This caster level increase increases all caster level related effects, including range, damage, duration, and overcoming spell resistance.
    (Price?)

Spiral Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a pointed cone of gold, etched with a spiral that goes down the length of it, all the way from the tip to the base. It glows softly from within, and the base is set into an angular, metallic seat. When installed properly, the cone begins to spin, slowly at first, then faster and faster, the glow brightening until it’s almost painful to look at.

Three times per day, a construct with this core may add it’s charisma modifier as a morale bonus to any attack roll, damage roll, save, skill check, or ability check. However, constructs with this core are more vulnerable than others, taking a -2 penalty to saves to resist charm, morale, fear, and emotional effects.
    (Price?)

Searing Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core requires the most custom work to accommodate. Constructs with this core are usually made of brass and bronze, and bear chimneys or vents that constantly belch steam. This core involves a fist-sized mass of elemental fire, a coal chamber, and a boiler that powers the construct. Simple constructs with this core often have a locking grate over their abdomen that allows the coal that fuels them to be shoveled directly in, while more complex ones often will mimic eating the coal.

A construct with this feature gains a breath weapon attack that takes the form of a 15-foot cone of scalding steam and deals 1d4 points of fire damage for every hit die the construct possesses, allowing a reflex save for half damage (DC 10+wis+½ HD). After using this attack, the construct may not use it again for 1d4 rounds. However, a construct with this core must consume an amount of coal each day. One day’s coal costs 10 GP and weighs one pound for a medium construct. For every size category larger than medium, the amount doubles. For every size category smaller than medium, the amount is halved.
    (Price?)

Shocking Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a cylinder of tightly-coiled wire around a central mass. When installed properly, the core begins to spin rapidly, and electricity arcs between the wires around the edge.

A construct with this ability is fitted with conductive plates. These plates grant the construct electricity resistance 5 +5 for every 5 HD it possesses. Any points of electricity damage negated by this resistance are funneled into a pool of points, with a maximum size equal to 5x the construct’s HD. If a construct with this core hits with a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or a melee touch attack, it may choose to expend any number of points in its pool to deal an equal amount of electricity damage to the target. The construct may divide up these points as it wishes. However, a construct with this core is not as efficient as most. A construct with this feature must enter a state resembling sleep for four hours each day to charge.
    (Price?)

Clockwork Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    A construct with this core is powered by gears, springs, levers and pulleys. Constructs of this sort constantly produce a low sound of grinding gears, shifting metal-on-metal, and the periodic twang of a spring. The core of such a construct is a specially enchanted gear, about six inches across, ringed with teeth and emblazoned with runes on both sides. Once set in place, the gear turns a slow but steady pace, ticking softly.

A construct with this core can choose to deal 2d6 additional damage on any melee attack as a free action. However, the construct takes 1d6 damage whenever he uses this ability, as the additional surge of power wears on the joints and gears and strains springs. This damage cannot be reduced by damage reduction or any other method, and is always lethal damage.
    (Price?)

Soulbound Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is compsed of a thick-walled glass cylinder filled with an eternally roiling sapphire mist. Both ends are capped off with brass, and a single glyph on each ends maintains the core’s integrity. When properly installed, the mist glows softly inside the chest, and periodically the mist shapes itself into faces of men and beasts.

A construct with this core has it’s essentia pool permanently increased by 1. If it doesn’t have an essentia pool, this core grants it one with a single point of essentia.
    (Price?)

Soulburn Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core closely resembles the soul bound core, but the roiling mist is instead a deep purple, and the faces it shapes itself into are screaming in pain. Over time, the core’s mist grows thinner, and needs to be replenished by using the core’s ability.

A construct with this core can spend a swift action to deal 1 damage to all living creatures within 15 feet that are at or below -1 HP, stealing a tiny fragment of their soul to fuel it’s core. If the construct kills a creature with this ability, it gains temporary HP equal to the creature’s HD. These temporary hit points fade after one round.
    (Price?)

Atomic Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a basketball-sized shell of lead surrounding the true core, a fist-sized mass of relatively unremarkable metal. The core sprouts a number of connections and valves and sports a small window of specially-treated glass that opens onto the core, allowing it to be observed while the core is exposed. The core is remarkably volatile, but it can provide impressive power to the construct.

A construct with this core gains a +2 bonus to strength. However, when a construct with this core dies, it explodes violently. All creatures within 30 feet (+10 feet per size category larger than medium) take 1d6 force damage for every 2 HD the construct possesses. In addition, the creatures take 1d6 points of fire damage for per HD it possesses. Targets may make a reflex save (DC 15+½ HD) to halve the fire damage, but not the force damage.
    (Price?)

Life Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a living heart in a glass globe. The heart floats in fluid infused with positive energy and the beating heart provides the energy for the construct. A construct with this core gains some semblance of true life.

A construct with this core is healed normally by positive energy, and takes normal damage from negative energy. The construct also gains the ability to heal as positive enrgy floods it’s body. It gains the lay on hands ability, as though it were a paladin of a level equal to it’s HD. This connection to life makes the construct vulnerable, however, and it is not immune to death and necromancy effects.
    (Price?)

Death Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core consists of a necrotic heart in a glass globe. The heart is suspended in a fluid infused with negative energy, and gains a semblance of unlife. The heart beats, pumping negative energy all through the body of the construct.

A construct with this core is healed by negative energy and damaged by positive energy, like an undead creature. The construct can also inflict harm with a touch, gaining the deadly touch ability, as though it were a paladin of tyranny of a level equal to it’s HD. The connection to undeath, however, makes in vulnerable to turning and rebuking like an undead creature.
    (Price?)

Mindgem Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a fist-sized, flawless crystal bound tightly in a coiled wire cage that holds it in place. The core glows faintly from within. A construct with this core often incorporates crystal into it’s construction somehow.

A construct with this core gains a pool of power points equal to 2 per HD. In addition, the construct acts as a living cognizance crystal, storing up to 1 PP for every 2 HD it possesses. However, a construct with this core is vulnerable to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
    (Price?)

Solar Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is simple metallic cylinder, but it is connected to a number of black, glossy plates on the shoulders, head and back of the construct. These plates convert sunlight to energy, granting the construct additional energy while operating in such conditions.

A construct with this core gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls, as well as saves, skills and ability checks while in areas of direct sunlight due to the excess energy. However, in areas of shadowy or darker illumination, they instead take a -1 penalty to the same rolls.
    (Price?)

Wood Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is a six-inch ball of living wood embedded in the heart of many druidic creations. When not installed, the core is a featureless orb but for a single pair of tiny leaves emerging from the top. The wood is green and vital, but clear of bark. When installed properly, the core rapidly extends roots into the construct’s body.

A construct with this core bears a deep bond with nature. It gains the wild empathy ability as a druid of a level equal to it’s HD. In addition, if the construct possesses at least 5 HD, it may use speak with animals and speak with plants as spell-like abilities at will. However, the construct becomes vulnerable to spells or abilities that would affect creatures of the plant type.
    (Price?)

Sanctified Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    This core is usually comprised of a mechanized prayer wheel or a wheel of divine scriptures, set in the core of the construct. When properly installed, the core spins and the words of the prayers glow. The construct is constantly accompanied by the faint sound of soft prayer and whispered sermons.

A construct with this core becomes aligned, gaining one of the following subtypes: [Evil] [Good] [Lawful] or [Chaotic]. In addition, any attack the construct makes against a creature of an alignment opposed to it’s subtype deals an additional 1d6 points of damage.
    (Price?)

My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Atomis is undoubtedly the strongest(love it), and everything above it is pretty weak. Especially the soulbound one. 1 essentia? what can you do with that? the psionic version gives many more powerpoints. Admitted im not an expert in incarnum but it sounds weak to me.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Atomis is undoubtedly the strongest(love it), and everything above it is pretty weak. Especially the soulbound one. 1 essentia? what can you do with that? the psionic version gives many more powerpoints. Admitted im not an expert in incarnum but it sounds weak to me.
    Well, they were originally intended so a warforged character or a character with constructs could apply these without seriously affecting CR/LA. I figure +2 str wouldn't really be game-breaking if using it carried a significant chance of your character's body exploding and taking out your teammates, as well as leaving any remaining allies without a body to resurrect.

As for incarnum/PP, they are very much not the same. A psion get 350 PP/day, BEFORE ability bonus points, at 20th. An incarnate gets 26 essentia at 20th. They are very different systems.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126

Alright, posted motorcycle!

Also, I had an idea that since vehicles are mostly objects, then a convenient way to move them about would be under the influence of shrink item. So, I'm thinking a 'keystone chain' of some sort. Each one is keyed to a specific vehicle. Only the holder of the keystone can activate said vehicle, and the holder can 1/day shrink down his vehicle to fit on the chain so he can carry it around.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alright, posted motorcycle!

Also, I had an idea that since vehicles are mostly objects, then a convenient way to move them about would be under the influence of shrink item. So, I'm thinking a 'keystone chain' of some sort. Each one is keyed to a specific vehicle. Only the holder of the keystone can activate said vehicle, and the holder can 1/day shrink down his vehicle to fit on the chain so he can carry it around.
    I like this idea although it would have to be pretty expensive.....though is you car afford the car in the first place.......anyway cool idea
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

8. - Top - End - #128

Alright, I also provided statistics for cars! This is built more to model muscle cars than lightweight cars. Because, frankly, muscle cars are more awesome.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I really like this but only have one problem; what is the 'standard' for the construct? Specifically the Warforged. For example, in the 'Core' section, you say that you can replace the existing, default, core with another. Which is a good and jolly idea. But, what do you LOOSE in order to gain these benefits? What's the 'default' core that is replaced?

Also, maybe making a PrC or three (one for casters, one for fighters and one for rogues) to mkae a construct out of a character would be usefull. For example, a human that starts replacing parts of him with costruct components.

There are a couple like that around the forums, I was just thinking of how YOU would do it so they would be compatible with your creation.

10. - Top - End - #130

All right, I just finished the fighter plane. Unfortunately, that kicked the whole 'one post for all constructs' thing out the window. It got too long, so I split it up into piloted/normal constructs and vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazer87 View Post
    Well, I really like this but only have one problem; what is the 'standard' for the construct? Specifically the Warforged. For example, in the 'Core' section, you say that you can replace the existing, default, core with another. Which is a good and jolly idea. But, what do you LOOSE in order to gain these benefits? What's the 'default' core that is replaced?

Also, maybe making a PrC or three (one for casters, one for fighters and one for rogues) to mkae a construct out of a character would be useful. For example, a human that starts replacing parts of him with construct components.

There are a couple like that around the forums, I was just thinking of how YOU would do it so they would be compatible with your creation.
    Well, generally speaking, most constructs tend to have a magical core of a nondescript variety (Mostly, I leave it up to the DM). It grants no benefits and no penalties, but it doesn't cost anything. Well, no more than it does to normally create the construct. The alternative cores cost extra and, as such, grant extra benefits.

I DEFINITELY like that idea. I'm going to have to make those, now.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Star Adept turns casters into constructs (despite its rather "meh" mechanics, I love it for the flavor).

Anyways, I made this D&D version of Adam from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Is it any good? Also, I know I went beyond treasure by CR here, but hey, he's supposed to be a minor BBEG. This guy might use your core idea, cause I like how its looking so far.

EDIT: Just looked through your cores again. Atomic core, anyone?

Adam
    Medium Construct
    Hit Dice:
    6d10+26; Hit Points: 62
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 22 (+12 natural), touch 10, flat footed 22
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
    Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+9 damage)
    Full Attacks: 2 Slams +13 melee (2d6+9 damage), or Claw +13 melee (1d6+7 damage)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: -----
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, Immunity to magic, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Powerful Build, Sneak Attack +3d6
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 29, Dex 11, Con ---, Int 24, Wis 19, Cha 11
    Skills: Decipher Script +16, Gather Information +13, Intimidate +9, Jump +48, Knowledge (The Planes) +16, Listen +13, Sense Motive +13, Search +16, Spot +13
    Feats: Iron Will, Improved Toughness, Power Attack
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Equipment: Grafts (Enervating Arm*, Clawed Arm**, Plated Skin**, Springing Leg**; already in stats)
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    *Libris Mortis
    ** Fiend Folio

A hulking mass of flesh can be seen on the battlefield. It is picking up pieces of several corpses, which it seems to be made out of itself. Despite this hideous appearance, it seems very meticulous in its work.

Adam is a complex creature, created by a mad fleshgrafter hired by a local kingdom to create a supersoldier. He was meant to rival the warforged in physical power and intelligence. The fleshgrafter went out of her way to make as many improvements to her “child” as possible, including pieces of beholders, fiends, and undead creatures in addition to standard humanoid body parts. Her hard work turned out to be the end of her, however, when her creation killed and dissected her to learn more about humanoid biology. After spending his first few days locked in the dungeon he was created in, he broke the locks containing him inside, and quickly learned he was the only one of his kind. After several more forced dissections, he discovered that his own anatomy was far more resilent than any of his component parts. From that point, he had a new mission in life: construct a race of constructs in his own image. To perform such a daunting task, Adam plans to open a portal to the Abyss in a heavily populated area. When the dust settles, he hopes enough bodies would have been produced to create his army of demonic cadaver golems.

Combat
    Adam prefers to fight on his terms, in areas where he can put his grafts (particularly his Springing Leg) into good use. As a result, he often chooses areas with multiple levels where he can jump from one to another, squashing opponents from above.

Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of Adam lets him function in many ways as if he was one size category larger. Whenever a Adam is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), Adam is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. Adam is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. Adam can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): Adam is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. A magical attack that deals cold or fire damage slows Adam (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw. A magical attack that deals electricity damage breaks any slow effect on Adam and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause Adam to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, if Adam was hit by a lightning bolt, he would heal 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage. Adam gets no saving throw against attacks that deal electricity damage.

Enervating Slam (Ex): Twice per day, Adam may bestow a negative level to a target hit with his slam attack (Fortitude DC 14 negates).
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-20 at 09:02 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, well, I know of the Green Star Adept (and its infamy), but the point is to make a PrC that is compatible with the tome of Iron. Maybe a PrC that allows you to change only parts of yourself, such as eyes or hands... Progressively getting more and more 'warforged-ized'.

A spellcaster could cast through runes embedded on the metal plates. A fighter type would more than likely just smash people's faces in while a rogue would depend on cloaking devices and the like.

13. - Top - End - #133

Yes, well, I know of the Green Star Adept (and its infamy), but the point is to make a PrC that is compatible with the tome of Iron. Maybe a PrC that allows you to change only parts of yourself, such as eyes or hands... Progressively getting more and more 'warforged-ized'.

A spellcaster could cast through runes embedded on the metal plates. A fighter type would more than likely just smash people's faces in while a rogue would depend on cloaking devices and the like.
    Also, GSA is TERRIBLE. I'm going to be making a good version.

Although, there is the renegade mastermaker, which sort of does the spellcaster human-> warforged thing already, though I may fiddle with it...

LOTRfan, unfortunately, I haven't watched that much of buffy, so I really can't comment on Adam.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, GSA is TERRIBLE. I'm going to be making a good version.

Although, there is the renegade mastermaker, which sort of does the spellcaster human-> warforged thing already, though I may fiddle with it...

LOTRfan, unfortunately, I haven't watched that much of buffy, so I really can't comment on Adam.
    vorpal tribble has a pretty cool rewrite:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177627
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    vorpal tribble has a pretty cool rewrite:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177627
    That is pretty good. Still, I think I'll stick with coming up with my own.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been looking through the cores, to see if I can come up with prices.

Clockwork Core: Its identical to vicious, so +2,000 gp.
    Wood Core: +8,000? Perhaps I did something wrong in calculating it?

Oh, and for weapon arm, I'd just multiply the weapon's cost by 10.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-25 at 05:06 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

You don't know how much I love what you've done with this. The stuff in here is perfect for the campaign that I'm going to be doing sooner or later. I picked up so source books that deals with Steampunk and constructs, which allowed me to help customize my player's power source. I'll give them a chance to replace what they've got already with a core from the list you've made, but I don't know what the chances will be. They kind of like what they have right now, and I can understand why. This is the party so far. I warn you, it's pretty long. And I'm only telling you this stuff so you can get some ideas.

1) True Xenotheurgist Construct, level 1. He has a custom body I designed for him: Replicator Form. He wanted something along the line of being made out of a bunch of smaller robots with a core controlling them all. I really did like the idea, so I went with it. I drew my inspiration off of the Replicators from the Stargate Series (A construct you really should do) and rolled with it. Right now, he can create diminutive objects out of a small portion of his body a certain number of times per day. They function just like the original object it's trying to mimic, but he can't go over diminutive and it's obviously made out of a bunch of interlocking pieces of metal. Later on, he'll be able to make creatures, turn into a swarm, and let critical and sneak attacks pass right through him. But that's at higher levels. As a trade off, he can't modify his body, since it's always changing. He's powered by a core that draws off of power from the Far Realm, so this should be pretty interesting. I'm wondering if constructs can go insane? :P

2) Demolitionist (Custom Base Class I made, based off the Inventor from the WotC forum. Think Demo-Man) Construct Level 1. He's got a translucent armor that can absorb shocks well and is powered by a Corpse Burner Engine, a necromantically powered steam engine. It does exactly what it sounds like. He burns the bodies of his enemies for fuel. He plans to blow people to bits and shovel them inside his body. He's got a pretty large smokestack on his back, which exudes a sickening smell (Gee, I wonder why :P). As for Mods, he has an interchangeable hand which can be swapped out for a hand cannon. He wants something that can plant himself into the ground, probably so he can increase the size of the cannon.

3) Inventor Human Cyborg Level 1. This one is Interesting. He's 75 years old, 55% of his body is replaced with Cybernetic grafts, including an eye, lungs, heart, and three limbs. In one arm, he's got a couple sets of tools embedded into it, so he always has them on hand, no pun intended. What's interesting is the fact that he wants to create a robot army, basically. Mobile Sentry Guns and the like. Like the others, he also needs a power source. At first, he wanted a reverse entropy engine, but I said that it was too rigged for level 1. So we settled on an electrical power source. He has to keep himself charged, or else he could die. I suspect he'll build some sort of hand crank generator so he's always got a power source on hand.

4) Paladin Human Cyborg Level 1. Okay, when I said the previous one was interesting, then this one is freaky. But in a good way. He's missing a good portion of his body as well, about the same amount as the previous player. But here's where it takes a left turn. He wants to be a Blackguard, so he wanted a Blood Drinker Engine, another necromantic engine, which basically needs blood from a sentient creature to function. I thought "Okay, this good. He can roleplay how he has been turned into something that is pretty much a vampire and he can try to keep his code while sating his hunger." Then he wanted his mod. And what did I suggest? A Skull Homunculus. This thing is awesome and creepy at the same time. Basically, think of a human skull supported by six metal legs that allow it to climb up walls, just like a spider. And it doesn't stop there. IT TALKS. It can speak two languages and it actually has more intelligence than the Paladin. He liked it and then I asked him what he thought of a port that the skull can enter on his body, like on his shoulder so it looks like he has a skull shoulder pad. He really like that idea and went for it. What I plan to do, however, is give the skull control over the player's arm when docked. Not all the time, but it can make him do things.

This is a really interesting party, I must say.

And I can't wait to see what comes next.
    What is this, I don't even.

18. - Top - End - #138

All right, LOTRfan, I added the suggested prices.

Also, Dencero, I do like that party. There's a bunch of ideas in there I should work on.

Let's see... I'm thinking I'll go down the list o' ideas like so:
    Shield Generator
    Druidic Constructs/Tradional Constructs (does anyone have any ideas they'd like to see in here?)
    Transforming Robots/Vehicles
    Combining Robots
    Construction Vehicles (Bulldozer, Wrecking Crane, Dump Truck, others?)
    Colony Robots
    Cyborgs (a component-by-component breakdown)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Added in the shield generator under 'plating' features. What do you guys think? Not strong enough? Too strong? Just not the right mechanic?

Also, I'm still stumped (hur hur, punny) as to what I should do for the druidic constructs. I know I want one of the 'normal' constructs to be a lumberjack mech, with sawblades and maybe a tree-carrying bed on it. But beyond that, I've got nothing. I'm not even sure what CR I should be aiming for.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added in the shield generator under 'plating' features. What do you guys think? Not strong enough? Too strong? Just not the right mechanic?

Also, I'm still stumped (hur hur, punny) as to what I should do for the druidic constructs. I know I want one of the 'normal' constructs to be a lumberjack mech, with sawblades and maybe a tree-carrying bed on it. But beyond that, I've got nothing. I'm not even sure what CR I should be aiming for.
    I like what's happening so far, but I'm pretty mad right now. Not at the Thread, but at the fact I accidentally closed out of my post and lost everything I wrote.... SO!

Here are the cliff notes:

1) The Shield Generator seems more like a Repair Module, if the temporary hit points became a pool per day that it could use to repair itself in a pinch. Damage Resistance or even Damage Immunity for stronger shields seems more appropriate.

2) Druid Constructs: Four Words: Shadow of the Colossus. Think giant creatures with earth that seems to have just grown on it naturally. Like so:
    Spoiler
    Show

Next, try to get into the mindset of a Druid. How would you build a defender of the forests without actually tearing down the forest? Bend the forest to form it. A mass of stone, wood, and other natural materials that vaguely resemble a humanoid form in some cases. Ancient runes carved into it. That sort of thing.

Hope that helps.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since it has come up, I will now shamelessly introduce what I had created as an energy shield way back when I was playing the Halo.

An armor enchanted with this ability grants its bearer a given number (X) of temporary hits points every few (Y) rounds. These temporary hit points are lost before the wearer's actual hit points take damage.

Notes:
    • A shield may not take more than 5 rounds to recharge.
    • A shield recharges at the beginning of the user's turn if an appropriate number of rounds have passed.
    • A [Death] effect immediately removes all temporary hit points granted by the shield and the wearer must then save against the original DC or be dazed for one round.
    • A shield confers no special immunity to grappling or status effects, though it does protect the bearer from other types of damage, such as from energy sources.

The cost of this enhancement depends on the shield's deflective power and how quickly it regenerates once overwhelmed.

The formula for determining shield value is as follows: X * (1/Y). To determine price this figure is first divided by 5, then squared, then multiplied by 1000. A table is given below for quick consultation.

{table=head]Shield Value | Cost (in GP)
    5 | 1000
    10 | 4000
    15 | 9000
    20 | 16000
    25 | 25000
    30 | 36000
    35 | 49000
    40 | 64000
    45 | 81000
    50 | 100000
    55 | 121000
    60 | 144000
    65 | 169000
    70 | 196000
    75 | 225000
    80 | 256000
    85 | 289000
    90 | 324000
    95 | 361000
    100 | 400000[/table]
    I'd generally use math from PC attack routines to determine what is appropriate at any given CR, but also consider other defenses (fast healing, overall AC, etc) before making a decision. Wealth by level (since that's more or less what the numbers are based around) might also function, keeping in mind that an equivalent shield will again depend on whatever other goodies the creature in question has. I don't think the formula holds up quite as well at higher end, but the lower end should be a bit better.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Jota View Post
    Since it has come up, I will now shamelessly introduce what I had created as an energy shield way back when I was playing the Halo.

I'd generally use math from PC attack routines to determine what is appropriate at any given CR, but also consider other defenses (fast healing, overall AC, etc) before making a decision. Wealth by level (since that's more or less what the numbers are based around) might also function, keeping in mind that an equivalent shield will again depend on whatever other goodies the creature in question has. I don't think the formula holds up quite as well at higher end, but the lower end should be a bit better.
    Level 3, WBL 2700.
    40 hp energy shield which charges every 5 rounds
    40*(1/5)=8
    Shield value is 8.
    ((8/5)^2)*1000= 2560.
    That's 2560 gp for 40 extra hp every combat.

Or, for 1 point every 5 rounds, it has a shield value of 0.2, and costs 1 gp and 6 sp.
    For 1 point every round, or 5 points every 5 rounds, it has a shield value of 1, and costs 40 gp. By all means, walk into every combat with a 5 extra hp for just 40 gp. I could outfit an army with that and troops would have just under double the normal hp.
    For just 160 gp, you can get 10 hp every 5 rounds. That means you walk into every combat with 10 extra hp.
    For just 774 gp, 4 sp, you can get a 22 hp shield with a 5 round charge. That's just over the cost of a belt of healing, which costs an action and averages 27 points of healing per day.
    And at level 20, for half your WBL, a pool of 95 hp that regenerates every round, or 475 hp every five rounds?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Level 3, WBL 2700.
    40 hp energy shield which charges every 5 rounds
    40*(1/5)=8
    Shield value is 8.
    ((8/5)^2)*1000= 2560.
    That's 2560 gp for 40 extra hp every combat.

Or, for 1 point every 5 rounds, it has a shield value of 0.2, and costs 1 gp and 6 sp.
    For 1 point every round, or 5 points every 5 rounds, it has a shield value of 1, and costs 40 gp. By all means, walk into every combat with a 5 extra hp for just 40 gp. I could outfit an army with that and troops would have just under double the normal hp.
    For just 160 gp, you can get 10 hp every 5 rounds. That means you walk into every combat with 10 extra hp.
    For just 774 gp, 4 sp, you can get a 22 hp shield with a 5 round charge. That's just over the cost of a belt of healing, which costs an action and averages 27 points of healing per day.
    And at level 20, for half your WBL, a pool of 95 hp that regenerates every round, or 475 hp every five rounds?
    In order:

1) If you spend all your money on 40 extra hit points, you'll have limited AC and weaponry. A moderately optimized third level character (barbarian, warblade) should be able to do about 15/20 per round to something with limited AC. In one on one combat you might have some advantage, but you can always be ignored until it's many versus one, and there's also point number two.

2) A rule I've often seen bandied about is not spending more than half or perhaps a third of your wealth on any single item. This is what the price was based on. If one subscribes to this, then extreme examples like yours are no longer an issue, if they even were to begin with.

3) Do you have any idea how much money 40 gold pieces is? The typical level one commoner might earn 6 gold pieces a week, assuming both of their skill points were put into Profession, and they had no Wisdom or Intelligence penalty. A person without ranks in Profession earns a single silver piece a week. At that rate, it'd take about 10 months to afford the type of shield you're talking about, and that's before food and shelter and whatever else. Even for people for whom money is not an issue, one hit point per round or five extra at the beginning of the battle is hardly worth it, when you can pay for three first level warriors for a little over a month at the same cost. At the point in the game (level-wise), numbers and luck count more than skill and equipment.

4) There's a distinct difference between healing and temporary hit points. Try again.

5) Numbers without significance or context...

6) Belts of healing suck. 27 hit points for 774 gold pieces is 28 gold pieces per hit point, more or less. Yes, it recharges everyday, but a wand of lesser vigor has a rate of 1.36 gp per hit point. How long do you really expect your campaign to last? Long enough for the belt to pay for itself? Jaright. And the uses in combat aren't comparable either, since you're almost always better off killing the other person than healing yourself, high level spells like heal aside.

7) Do you know what a level 20 attack routine looks like? Most people don't play the game at that level so it is a bit foreign to them, but I have seen my fair share of optimized builds. 475 is a round or two (or less) worth of damage. If you want to spend your money on that, great. It's done what you intended it do. But may I direct you to the cost of the Big Six? Let's skimp and say +6 weapon (you're casting GMW each day or whatever), +5 armor, ring of deflection +5, amulet of natural armor +5, cloak of resistance +5, and stat-boosting item +6. 72000 + 25000 + 50000 + 50000 + 25000 + 36000 = 258,000. Congrats on not being able to afford other integral stuff, like the aforementioned healing, flight, teleportation, whatever, etc. You're even more screwed if you happen to need two weapons.

24. - Top - End - #144

Now, now, no need to argue.

Back to the point, though, I was thinking on the shield thing. I realized that the shield protects you from anything aimed at you, not anything that gets through your armor and DR. It's more like touch AC. I'm not entirely sure how to work it, but I was thinking the shield would count as a separate object that provides you with total cover. The shield would use your touch AC as it's regular AC.

Also, the druidic construct thing is not making much progress. The colossus (just watched a 2.5-hour play-through of the entire game on youtube) would work nicely for the druidic attacker, but the defender still has me stumped.

I DID have a cool idea for the forest-attacker though. Four arms, two with saw blades, and two with big, industrial claws. Then it's got a 'mouth', which it feeds the trees into to strip them of bark and branches (swallow whole with slashing damage).
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Alright, we've got the stats for the first of the transforming vehicles, the Robotech fighter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Huge Construct [Vehicle]
    Hit Dice:8d10+40
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 40 feet (8 squares), Fly 40 feet (good)
    Armor Class: 20 (+7 Natural, +5 Dex, -2 Size), 13 touch, 15 flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+19
    Attack: Machine Gun +9 Ranged (1d6/1d8) Or Slam +9 Melee (1d8+5)
    Full Attack:Machine Gun +9/+4 Ranged (1d6/1d8) Or Two slams +9 melee (1d8+5)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft/15 ft
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Vehicle Traits, Hardness 10
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 20, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
    Skills:-
    Feats:-
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, wing (3-5) or Squadron (15-30)
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

Machine Gun:
    Robotech fighters wield machine guns. The machine gun has a range increment of 60 feet. If you hit, roll 1d6 to determine the number of shots that hit the target. Each shot deals 1d8 points of damage.

Alternate Form:
    A robotech fighter can assume the form of a fighter plane or a hybrid form known as guardian mode. A robotech fighter in guardian mode has a fly speed of 80 feet with good maneuverability, and may use a fighter plane’s missiles. It loses the robotech fighter’s slam attacks, and it’s land speed decreases to 20 feet

Vehicle Traits:
    A robotech fighter offers total cover to it’s pilot, and deals 4d6 damage to it’s pilot when it reaches 0 HP.
    {table=head]Piloting Use|DC
    Move|15
    Floor It|15
    Attack|15
    Full Attack|20
    Maintain Control|20
    Cover|10
    Skill|Varies
    Maneuver|25
    Bail|15
    [/table]

After them, it's transformers. does anyone have a transformer to request? (Other than Optimus Prime, he's already on the list.)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing as you started on homonculi, here's an idea; the burrower. This thing looks much like a minature Sentry drone from the Matrix, only with an even smaller body and only sixtentacles (at least the basic versions, gods know what an artificer can really do). Their job is simple; they have a burrow speed which they use to launch surprise grapple checks against flatfooted enemies. After grabbing them, with four tentacles, they begin to drag them underground where the poor sod begins to suffocate and suffer the crushing weight of the earth around. Quite a nasty thing huh? Oh, and the four tentacles thing is for medium sized enemies; they wouldn't be able to pull down a giant or, god forbid, a dragon unless you set loose a whole freakin' battalion of the things.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is my attempt at adding some new Construct Features and Warforged Material. Got nothing better to do, so here it goes:

Hands:

Spoiler
    Show

Utility Hands: The construct's hand has been hollowed and modified to fit a variety of tools. Upon choosing this feature, a set of tools must be chosen, which can be everything from Masonry, Blacksmithing, Metalworking, Alchemy, or the like. Once chosen, the construct may, as a free action, draw these tools. The tools that are chosen for the Construct are considered to be Masterwork and grant such bonuses that a normal Masterwork tool set confers. Because of this integrated design, the construct is always considered to have the required tool set for a craft or profession check. It takes a Spot check DC 25 to notice that the Construct has these tools incorporated into their design.

Remote Control: The construct's hands have been designed so they may be removed and controlled remotely by the construct themselves. As a move action, the construct may remove one or both hands from their body. If one hand is removed, the construct takes a -4 penalty to all checks requiring manual dexterity and may not wield weapons that require two hands. If both hands are removed, then the construct cannot wield any weapons, automatically fails any checks that require the use of their hands, and cannot preform many rudimentary tasks. When detached, the hand has the following stats (A little help would be nice here. How strong would a disembodied hand be?) and is considered to be diminutive in size. The hand has blindsight out to 30 feet. To move itself, the construct must use a move action and move the hand itself. The construct sees everything its hand sees, but cannot hear anything from it and cannot read through its hand, unless there are exigent circumstances (Construct can read braille and sends out its hand and finds a book written in braille. That kind of stuff.) If destroyed, the construct must pay a price equal to 1/2 of the hand's original cost for repairs. If both hands are destroyed, then the construct must totally replace their hands.

Head:

Spoiler
    Show

Bloodsight:
    The construct's eyes are tinged a crimson red and are designed to specifically seek out blood. As a move action, the construct may activate its Bloodsight. While active, the construct no longer sees fine details or color, taking a -4 to spot and search checks. But any living creature with a heartbeat is lit up and seen more easily to the construct. The construct has a maximum viewing distance of 60 feet while using Bloodsight and may see through any material, except lead, at least 5 feet thick. When looking through materials, creatures with a heartbeat are seen only as mass vaguely resembling the creature. If the construct focuses on a target with a heartbeat for a full round, the construct clearly sees the creature's circulatory system, allowing it to target more vital areas. Once focused, the construct threatens a critical hit to the target. During the time that the Construct focuses, it may not partake in any other action and must succeed a concentration check, DC 10 + HD.

Gnashing Teeth:
    The construct's mouth has been fitted with sharp, jagged teeth meant for battle. A construct with this feature gains a bite attack equal to its size and a critical threat range of 19-20.

AAAAND now I'm out of steam.... I'm going to work on more later. Feel free to change and modify as you see fit. I definitely know it needs balancing. :/

28. - Top - End - #148

Seeing as you started on homonculi, here's an idea; the burrower. This thing looks much like a minature Sentry drone from the Matrix, only with an even smaller body and only sixtentacles (at least the basic versions, gods know what an artificer can really do). Their job is simple; they have a burrow speed which they use to launch surprise grapple checks against flatfooted enemies. After grabbing them, with four tentacles, they begin to drag them underground where the poor sod begins to suffocate and suffer the crushing weight of the earth around. Quite a nasty thing huh? Oh, and the four tentacles thing is for medium sized enemies; they wouldn't be able to pull down a giant or, god forbid, a dragon unless you set loose a whole freakin' battalion of the things.
    Hmmm. Well, I like the idea of one of those floaty things as a homunculus, though I dunno about the whole dragging underground thing. I could, however, see something like that as a repair-bot or something... I DO want to use the design for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dencero View Post
    This is my attempt at adding some new Construct Features and Warforged Material. Got nothing better to do, so here it goes:

Hands:

Spoiler
    Show

Utility Hands: The construct's hand has been hollowed and modified to fit a variety of tools. Upon choosing this feature, a set of tools must be chosen, which can be everything from Masonry, Blacksmithing, Metalworking, Alchemy, or the like. Once chosen, the construct may, as a free action, draw these tools. The tools that are chosen for the Construct are considered to be Masterwork and grant such bonuses that a normal Masterwork tool set confers. Because of this integrated design, the construct is always considered to have the required tool set for a craft or profession check. It takes a Spot check DC 25 to notice that the Construct has these tools incorporated into their design.

Remote Control: The construct's hands have been designed so they may be removed and controlled remotely by the construct themselves. As a move action, the construct may remove one or both hands from their body. If one hand is removed, the construct takes a -4 penalty to all checks requiring manual dexterity and may not wield weapons that require two hands. If both hands are removed, then the construct cannot wield any weapons, automatically fails any checks that require the use of their hands, and cannot preform many rudimentary tasks. When detached, the hand has the following stats (A little help would be nice here. How strong would a disembodied hand be?) and is considered to be diminutive in size. The hand has blindsight out to 30 feet. To move itself, the construct must use a move action and move the hand itself. The construct sees everything its hand sees, but cannot hear anything from it and cannot read through its hand, unless there are exigent circumstances (Construct can read braille and sends out its hand and finds a book written in braille. That kind of stuff.) If destroyed, the construct must pay a price equal to 1/2 of the hand's original cost for repairs. If both hands are destroyed, then the construct must totally replace their hands.

Head:

Spoiler
    Show

Bloodsight:
    The construct's eyes are tinged a crimson red and are designed to specifically seek out blood. As a move action, the construct may activate its Bloodsight. While active, the construct no longer sees fine details or color, taking a -4 to spot and search checks. But any living creature with a heartbeat is lit up and seen more easily to the construct. The construct has a maximum viewing distance of 60 feet while using Bloodsight and may see through any material, except lead, at least 5 feet thick. When looking through materials, creatures with a heartbeat are seen only as mass vaguely resembling the creature. If the construct focuses on a target with a heartbeat for a full round, the construct clearly sees the creature's circulatory system, allowing it to target more vital areas. Once focused, the construct threatens a critical hit to the target. During the time that the Construct focuses, it may not partake in any other action and must succeed a concentration check, DC 10 + HD.

Gnashing Teeth:
    The construct's mouth has been fitted with sharp, jagged teeth meant for battle. A construct with this feature gains a bite attack equal to its size and a critical threat range of 19-20.

AAAAND now I'm out of steam.... I'm going to work on more later. Feel free to change and modify as you see fit. I definitely know it needs balancing. :/
    Utility hands: This seems pretty cool, I might tweak the wording a little, but it's pretty solid.

Remote hand: Perhaps it should instead be tiny. A rat is tiny, and your hand is not smaller than a rat. Other than that, there's nothing really wrong with it. Again, I'll probably tweak he wording a bit, but it should be fine.

Bloodsight: Again, looks solid, though I might need to fiddle with the wording.

Gnashing teeth: Well, technically there is no 'normal' bite damage. Secondly, 19-20 is usually reserved for blades or things with long cutting surfaces. A x3 crit mod would make more sense.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Well, technically there is no 'normal' bite damage.
    There is. It's Piercing and slashing.

30. - Top - End - #150

There is. It's Piercing and slashing.
    There's a normal damage type, but not a normal damage dice. There is a sort of 'suggested' die size, but it's hardly set in stone.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show