New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Kill Me Thrice, Shame On Me [3.5 Race]

TRESMORTIC-THOSE WHO DIE THRICE

No-one knows the origin of the Tresmortic. They, as well as many proponents of undeath, insist that they are a natural development, an example of necromancy that is at peace with nature. Most druids, and those that despise the powers of necromancy, claim instead that they are the creation of a mad wizard, a corruption of the natural order and a mimicry of all that should be using the dark, evil powers of undeath.

TYPICAL TRESMORTICS
    Against most expectations, Tresmortics tend to be a very cheerful race. They can be a little superior, their constantly superior smirk grating on those around them, but they are brave, tough, and rather foolhardy. Their difficulty in dying permanently often makes them a little blasé towards death, and they have dual racial tendencies towards foolhardy stunts and the dispensing of unwanted advice.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
    In their initial state, Tresmortics appear similar to humans, albeit often being thin and lithe, even the strongest among their number being relatively small. However, after their first death their flesh slowly turns to the grey of death. Most Tresmortics remain in that state, appearing as a badly coloured being, but some cast off pretenses of life and keep only a skeletal form. After their second death, a Tresmortic appears ghostly, often looking identical to their original form, although some become fond of their second form.

Relations With Other Races
    Only the most free of races can get past the common dislike of undeath, and treat Tresmortics with a degree of fairness. Generally, only races with their own proclivity for necromancy ever manage to do so-even if the savants of a country understand that Tresmortics are no threat, persuading the people is a herculean task.

Alignment
    Contrary to popular belief, Tresmortics have no real leanings on the alignment spectrum, but a single Tresmortic raised in a place that despises him often drive the victim to the extremes of good or evil.

Tresmortic Lands
    Most Tresmortics would be perfectly content to live among the other races, but are rarely accepted. Their lands are often dark, spellcasters blocking out the sun above them, due to a racial dislike of bright sunlight. However, they have a fondness for impressive architecture, often using marble. Some communities embrace their dark reputation, creating dark castles. Tresmortics can be a very superficial, aesthetic species.

Religion
    Against most expectations, many Tresmortics are religious. Evening Glory is common, but generally more ‘acceptable’ deities of creativity are the favoured of the night loving race.

Language
    Most Tresmortics simply speak Common, but those that embrace the darkness attributed to them often use Abyssal, Infernal, or other ‘evil’ languages.

Common Names
    Tresmortic naming conventions are similar to those of humans, but often favour dramatic names-Mannfred, Johann, Vlad, Edward, Isabella and Ulrika are good examples.

Adventurers
    Tresmortics often take on the mantle of adventurer. Their long lives, natural proclivities, and a desire to prove themselves heroic often combine to make them leave their home for fame and fortune.

Tresmortic’s First Life’s Racial Traits
    Abilities: +2 Cha, +2 Con
    Size: Medium
    Type: Humanoid
    Movement Rate: 30ft land
    Touch of Death: A Tresmortic is naturally inclined to the power of death. She gains +1 to caster level, class level, and character level relating to necromantic spells and effects. By an increase to class level, effects that grow in power as you grow in levels treat your level as one higher. A good example would be the Ebon Initiate's Netherchannel. A Tresmortic with two levels of Ebon Initiate would deal 2d6 damage with their Netherchannel.
    In addition, a First Life Tresmortic is healed equally well by negative and positive energy.
    First Life: A Tresmortic using these rules has never ‘died’, or has been returned to this state with powerful magics. If she would be slain, for any reason, she reforms and returns twenty four hours later in the Second Life. On her return, she begins with half her new hit point total, and no prepared spells. She appears at the spot where she was killed.
    The Revolving Door: No matter how many times you do it, they keep coming back. Spells that return life to the dead require only half the material components they usually would when cast upon Tresmortics.
    Favoured Class: Druid*, Dread Necromancer or Ebon Initiate. A Tresmortic’s highest level in one of these classes does not count towards multiclassing penalties.
    *Tresmortics with at least five levels of Druid qualify for the Children of the Mausoleum class at sixth level and beyond, even if they do not meet prerequisites. However, if they do NOT take it, they no longer treat Druid as a favoured class.
    LA: +3

Tresmortic’s Second Life’s Racial Traits
    Abilities: +2 Cha, Con -
    Type: Undead. As a special benefit, a Tresmortic improves all hit dice he possesses while undead by one size, to a maximum of d12.
    Touch of Death: A Tresmortic is naturally inclined to the power of death. She gains +1 to caster level, class level, and character level relating to necromantic spells and effects. By an increase to class level, effects that grow in power as you grow in levels treat your level as one higher. A good example would be the Ebon Initiate's Netherchannel. A Tresmortic with two levels of Ebon Initiate would deal 2d6 damage with their Netherchannel.
    Knitting Bones: A Tresmortic has Fast Healing 2, and a very limited form of regeneration. She does not treat damage as nonlethal, but can reattach lost limbs and survive in pieces.
    Second Life: A Tresmortic using these rules has died but once, or has been returned from the third state with powerful magics. If he would be slain, for any reason, his spirit reforms and returns twenty four hours later in the Third Life. On his return, he begins with half his new hit point total, and no prepared spells. He appears at the spot where he was killed.
    A Tresmortic in their Second Life can be targeted with Raise Dead, Resurrection, or similar spells. if they are, they return to their First Life with no level or con loss.
    The Revolving Door: No matter how many times you do it, they keep coming back. Spells that return life to the dead require only half the material components they usually would when cast upon Tresmortics.
    Favoured Class: Druid*, Dread Necromancer or Ebon Initiate. A Tresmortic’s highest level in one of these classes does not count towards multiclassing penalties.
    *Tresmortics with at least five levels of Druid qualify for the Children of the Mausoleum class at sixth level and beyond, even if they do not meet prerequisites. However, if they do NOT take it, they no longer treat Druid as a favoured class.

Tresmortic’s Third Life’s Racial Traits
    Abilities: +2 Cha, Con -, Str -
    Type: Undead (Incorporeal). As a special benefit, a Tresmortic improves all hit dice he possesses while undead by one size, to a maximum of d12.
    Movement Rate: 30ft land, 15ft flight (Poor)
    Ectoplasm: A Tresmortic has Fast Healing 1, and is Incorporeal, gaining all effects of that type, including a deflection bonus to AC equal to their Charisma, immunity to nonmagical attack, and the ability to make many attacks as touch attacks.
    Third Life: A Tresmortic using these rules has died twice. They must be careful if they wish to stay in the realm of life. Third Life Tresmortics die when they are killed.
    A Tresmortic in their Third Life can be targeted with Raise Dead, Resurrection, or similar spells. if they are, they return to their Second Life with no level or con loss.
    Even a truly dead Tresmortic is a valid target for Raise Dead and the like, returning only to the third life, with the normal effects.

Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Controlled Return
    Prerequisites: Tresmortic
    Benefit: When killed, you may reform in as little as twelve hours, and may do so anywhere you had been up to a day before your death.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-08-18 at 11:27 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kill Me Thrice, Shame On Me [3.5 Race]

Looks neat, and I like the concept but you probably want to define what all they get from the Incorporeal subtype if anything and how it works. Normally incorporeal creatures lack a strength score entirely, and incorporealness is actually a pretty strong ability.

Also what does +1 Class Level entail, presumably not BAB, HD, base saves, or skills, but it should be defined within for clarity. For example do you get class features that have to do with necromantic abilities or only count as one class level higher for those you do have?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Whoops, I checked Incorporeality for strength scores and missed it. They get all the benefits thereof, as by that point that's basically all they get.#

I'll clarify for the class level part.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shouldn't the LA of an incorporeal undead be at least +4, maybe +5? I'm asking, this is actually an ability that is hard to counter.

You could also increase the LA as they raise again and again. This may or may not substitute to one of their level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interesting use of the Children, though I must ask - how does the Mausoleum treat such renegades in your world, who display their skills without offering allegiance?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, these would be interesting in a Ghostwalk game, with everyone else going back and forth as ghosts and living and then these guys shifting between Lives in Manifest...
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    Shouldn't the LA of an incorporeal undead be at least +4, maybe +5? I'm asking, this is actually an ability that is hard to counter.

You could also increase the LA as they raise again and again. This may or may not substitute to one of their level.
    The major issue is that I can't find anything to give to the first life to make up for the power of incorporeality. And that's even with the LA they have now...
    If you have any ideas, please tell me. ._. There are very few cool physical abilities to give a humanoid race.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Interesting use of the Children, though I must ask - how does the Mausoleum treat such renegades in your world, who display their skills without offering allegiance?
    Hmm. Well, they could go in several directions.
    They could be upset about having their secrets mimicked.
    They could think they're great examples of the balance of life and unlife.
    Or they could even be the inspiration, with the Tomb Orphans having based their techniques on the natural abilities of the Tresmortics.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    The major issue is that I can't find anything to give to the first life to make up for the power of incorporeality. And that's even with the LA they have now...
    If you have any ideas, please tell me. ._. There are very few cool physical abilities to give a humanoid race.

Hmm. Well, they could go in several directions.
    They could be upset about having their secrets mimicked.
    They could think they're great examples of the balance of life and unlife.
    Or they could even be the inspiration, with the Tomb Orphans having based their techniques on the natural abilities of the Tresmortics.
    All interesting ideas. A few notes:

1. Right now, as worded, the Tresmortics don't even need druid casting to get into the Children PrC. Might I suggest instead that you alter the pre-reqs for your race to get in, or state that some of their racial abilities count as certain feats or skills?

2. If the Children tickled your fancy, or if you want to use them in your campaign setting, you may have an interest in the companion PrC I just made for the contest, the - Judex of the Pale Thorn. Also, you should totally come vote for your favorite entries.

Otherwise, love the race and the concept ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    All interesting ideas. A few notes:

1. Right now, as worded, the Tresmortics don't even need druid casting to get into the Children PrC. Might I suggest instead that you alter the pre-reqs for your race to get in, or state that some of their racial abilities count as certain feats or skills?

2. If the Children tickled your fancy, or if you want to use them in your campaign setting, you may have an interest in the companion PrC I just made for the contest, the - Judex of the Pale Thorn. Also, you should totally come vote for your favorite entries.

Otherwise, love the race and the concept ^_^
    Oh whoops. They should have to have taken the druid levels.

...hello there, Zyra! (Reads)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Third Life Tresmortics die when they are killed.
    Don't lie, you created the entire race just so you could drop that sentence in there, didn't you?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

No, but it was a lovely co-incidence when I realised.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I keep trying to compliment this fine piece of art, but the site keeps showing errors.

It's almost like software wants Lix to hate me for the thoroughly inaccurate things I said at one point.

Either way, great homebrew, and you're a Good person, too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

...thank you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I want apologize for not responding sooner. I love your races but I think this might be my favorite. I think the feat should make it so you can take it multiple times. That would very scary. Definitely a good BBG and unique hero.

Maybe some.feats that are unique for each life.

As for the first life why not give him more hit points that point to an unnatural vitality or DR?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you!

What exactly would taking the feat repeatedly do?

The problem with that is that why would the first life be tough and the others not? I mean, unnatural vitality would last, wouldn't it?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The feat would similar to your lesser phoenix race feat that the time is split in half. Well the other two races have different ways to survive. Fast healing and the other is incorporeal.

What about regen 1? Constitution to AC. Doube Con modifier to stabalizing checks. Constitution modifier increases the the limit of when a dies (-10).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

What about regen 1?
    It's powerful... But the others suggestions are good.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Constitution modifier increases the the limit of when a dies (-10).
    That one I like! Their spirit is tightly bound to their body, so needs MASSES OF DAMAGE to actually give in.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The race seems quite interesting and goes about the whole multiple lives thing quite well.
    However, what happens when a Tresmortic in their first life dies of old age? The text says if they're slain for any reason (Which I'd assume would include old age), they go into their second life. How would this work if a Tresmortic dies from old age and goes to their second life, but then has raise dead cast on them so they return to their first life?
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zetapup View Post
    The race seems quite interesting and goes about the whole multiple lives thing quite well.
    However, what happens when a Tresmortic in their first life dies of old age? The text says if they're slain for any reason (Which I'd assume would include old age), they go into their second life. How would this work if a Tresmortic dies from old age and goes to their second life, but then has raise dead cast on them so they return to their first life?
    Unless they've deaged or somehow become younger, they couldn't.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think dread necro would suck for this race. What would happen if life 1 became a lich?

I have a challenge. Make feats that apply benefits to all three lives.

If that is too much how do you feel about giving 2nd and 3rd abilities similar to other. Undead of the same types. 2nd might be able to bcome more vampire like. 4xample.

What happens if a necro tried to animate them before they reform? Do they get bonus vs that. Can they take templates and keep themif they return to previous form?

How about a feat/ritual that allows them to shift between forms for a limited time.
    Last edited by Merchant; 2012-08-23 at 10:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I think dread necro would suck for this race. What would happen if life 1 became a lich?
    They'd be a lich. Am I missing something?

I have a challenge. Make feats that apply benefits to all three lives.
    Like... what?

If that is too much how do you feel about giving 2nd and 3rd abilities similar to other. Undead of the same types. 2nd might be able to bcome more vampire like. 4xample.
    Nooot likely. The 3rd is too strong already. The 2nd is probably about right.

What happens if a necro tried to animate them before they reform? Do they get bonus vs that. Can they take templates and keep them if they return to previous form?
    Good question, not sure.
    Yes.

How about a feat/ritual that allows them to shift between forms for a limited time.
    That might be interesting. I'll think about that.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes they would be lich with their soul preserved in the phylantory(?). What happens when their soul is destroyed? They still reform? Doesn't being a lich get rid of other two forms? Is it even possible, wouldn't they go to second form if they die?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I think their racial thing would trigger first.

So.

Lich Tresmortic is shot in the face. He becomes undead. Undead-er. He is then shot in the face again, harder. He becomes a spirit. They then shoot him with ghost bullets and he goes poof.

However, his phylactery would then bring him back, but only to the ghost form. He's probably strong enough to raise himself, though.