New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of the Warriors - a ToB expansion book idea

For those of you who don't feel like looking at the spread-sheets, here is what I have so far. Please tell me if I am getting slightly too spammy with this post, or in general. (I get nervous about social decisions like that, since, like a large part of the boards I am a stereotypical geek in many ways).

EDIT: Note that I haven't checked the discipline threads for the ones I made suggestions for to see if they had already made such items. These are only suggestions, and the discipline creators should take them or leave them (and , failing creator involvent, the group should deal with it).

I also have made some further additions since my last post on the subject.

[ Table]Discipline Name|Item and/or Reason
    Army of One | Helm with high plume so your enemies may find you in the press of their falling comrades, oriental style back-mounted battle banner (takes up cloak slot), or cestis(sp?) with "I am the" on the striking surface of one, and "Greatest" on the other.
    black heron
    Black Lotus | Ring - easily hidden when not using, and a traditional secret sign of an organization, as opposed to an amulet (which is the only other item slot that is near as easy to have a hidable version of). Also, poison rings are a standard sort of item.
    Black Rain | Cowboy Hat
    Blood Sage | Gloves or maybe Mask
    Broken Blade
    Chthonic Serpent | Snake Ring
    Coin's Edge | Lucky Amulet
    Dancing Leaf | Swirling Cape
    Dread Crown | Spiked Helm
    Falling Anvil |Cap of the Falling Anvil (hat/helm slot)
    Falling Star | Bracers or goggles
    Falling Wave
    Far Realm | Tentacled Mask or mantle made of displacer beast and/or octopus tentacles.
    Fool's Grip | Work gloves
    Frozen Zephyr / Acidic Fog / Shocking Sky | Cape/Cloak (to match Desert Wind that these are based on)
    Gentle Breeze
    Golden Saint | Amulet, to match Devoted Spirit
    Holy Word Discipline | Torc or Mask for speech
    Infinite Torment | Amulet, to match Devoted Spirit
    Kaleidoscopic Dream
    Knowing Heart | Amulet
    Leaping Gale
    Masked Moon | Spiked Collar
    Mental Grip | Headband, or Black Mask
    Mystic Cobra
    Narrow Bridge
    Ninefold Damnation | Amulet, to match Devoted Spirit
    Ocean Soul
    Ocean Tempest
    Oncoming Storm
    Placid Lake
    Quicksilver Aegis
    Rending Scream | Mask with wide, open, mouth
    Scarlet Bravura | Goggles, since based on my extremely limited knowledge of the series Kammina's (sp?) glasses are his most iconic worn item. Alternatively, a back mounted, oriental style battle banner, that takes up the cloak slot could work. A high-plumed helm would be good if neither of those works.
    Scarlet Rose
    Silver Crane | Amulet, to match Devoted Spirit
    Silver Pegasus | Riding boots
    Sleeping Goddess
    Solaris Arcanum
    Steel Mountain |Shining Steel Gauntlet
    The Discipline of the Lost Lyrics
    True Arrow | Bracers or goggles
    Twin Spirit | Riding boots
    Untamed Essence
    Viper Fang
    Way of the Gear
    Witch Razor [/Table]

Sidenote: Hiding columns in the sheet, then highlighting and ctrl-C was how I got the data out of the spread-sheet after that, I just had to insert the |'s and wrap Table tags around it... I say this so people won't be afraid to try it.

The Army of One and Scarlet Bravura stuff competing, vs not competing with a slot with each other and/or the White Raven Crown is a decision worth giving some attention to.

Bracers (actually arm-gaurds, but a wrap-around bracer functions as both) protect the arm from the bow-string, and the RAW recognizes this with the existence of Bracers of Archery and the Greater version. Goggles go with archery in the way of a targetting system (and Spot is generally the associated skill for the archery disciplines I remember), and/or shooters goggles.

EDIT: Also added Steel Mountain support to PairO'Dice Lost's Master of One PrC.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2017-04-28 at 04:35 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Banned

Chthonic Serpent already has a belt. Just saying.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

That works, I have edited the spread-sheet to that effect until and unless people convince you otherwise we will go with that. The discipline creators have precedence over my own brainstorming.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-24 at 07:18 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #484
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Wow, you actually came up with a mechanical way to use Kamina Sunglasses to increase your awesomeness. I love it.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

I alreddy suggested a singular glove for the mental grip item in it's own thread (And the creator seemed to like the idea).
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-02-24 at 11:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

frown Re: The Age of the Warriors - a ToB expansion book idea

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I alreddy suggested a singular glove for the mental grip item in it's own thread (And the creator seemed to like the idea).
    And thought he'd actually put that in there, but it turns out he hadn't. But he's fixing that now.
    Thanks to Dashwood for the avatar!

Check out my Homebrew.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I edited in the "Single Black Glove" thing.

Incidentally, I am keeping my suggestions after the official version in the cases where I am Jossed. This is in case the item distribution needs tweaking for balance purposes at some (probably distant) point in the future.

EDIT: Master of One stuff for Black Heron now posted. Also, it occurs to me that "Focused Rivalry" gets a BIT weaker the more disciplines there are, although a lot of the abilities have broader utility than just countering the specific discipline. Given that the idea here is that Adepts are supposed to be really common in this setting, I don't think this is much of a problem for AoW, since even the most obscure disciplines should come up once or twice in a given campaign.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-25 at 04:35 AM.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

Submitting this for critique - The Martial Warrior (from DBZ)

Includes five new disciplines that aren't fully fleshed out and aren't like regular disciplines - most of being a martial warrior relies on the much higher levels and the creation of your own maneuvers in game. The disciplines already there are just default grounding. Sorry if this causes confusion.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-02-26 at 06:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

I have read it before. I don't think it fits this project... but then again, people told me the same thing about Falling Anvil, so I may not be in any place to talk.

...or are you just coming here asking for help, and not meaning it should be included in this project at all?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-26 at 06:38 AM.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I have read it before. I don't think it fits this project... but then again, people told me the same thing about Falling Anvil, so I may not be in any place to talk.

...or are you just coming here asking for help, and not meaning it should be included in this project at all?
    It should be included.

I'll get more help that way too.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't make it, I am just linking it...
    Breath of Fire a discipline built around breathweapons.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

hmm... the DBZ one feels... well... okay, I don't feel that the fluff of that can work with what we got here at ALL. So I am not sure we should keep it in as is.

Having said that, I've looked over it quickly and I think most of my ambivalence about it stems from just the cosmetics of it. Step away from the actual anime source in terms of the fluff and I think it would be ok. Having said that, you still need to make sure these disciplines get completed if you want them to be included.

The fact that you have five of them almost makes it seem like you intended for them to exist in a universe by itself. I know this might not actually be the case, but if you want to include them all, we need to judge each discipline independently first and then after that as a whole package.

All I'm saying is that just make sure the disciplines themselves are complete products.

I would really like to start seeing some of the disciplines also get their final sign off before I include them into a definitive document too, so maybe we can start thinking about looking at specific disciplines and just give them an official "it's done" kind of column in the spread sheet. That way we can mark off the ones that I can safely move into the document without any further changes. This, of course, is subject to the agreement of the team itself.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

That seems reasonable. For what it is worth, Broken Blade and Narrow Bridge are completed for everything but their feats which should be completed very shortly.

I believe that all of Demented One's disciplines have the two feats also. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there). His have also been extensively examined so we can check those off as done also.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

14. - Top - End - #494
    Banned

Chthonic Serpent's about done, too, I'd think.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, for the associated items: For Broken Blade, amulet that has a sword crossed with a quill.

For Narrow Bridge, a helm in the shape of a skull.

Edit: Draco, also in the table above, the formatting for Falling Anvil is broken.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-03-01 at 12:25 AM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Falling Anvil:
    I need to get off my lazy rear and edit in D1's rules on alternate disciplines one of these days. If that is necessary for something to be considered "complete" then that and a legacy weapon are all I am lacking... and legacy weapons aren't really mandatory... short of that, this is the one part of my contributions that has actually received a minimal amount of Play-Test, so it should be good to go.

True Master of Nine:
    The fluff for this is "see the original Mo9", but if one doesn't mind that then it is ready to go.

Sublime Form Master:
    Next to no fluff for this, but does it really need it?

Leap Dragoon:
    Are we going to include this or not? It needs the backstory re-written, but until I know a bit more about the overall history of the Age of Warriors setting, I don't know what I could do to do that... unless you want to just go ahead and integrate Final Fantasy IX in here (in a very "No, you CAN'T go through the portal" GM Fiat sort of way).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-03-01 at 12:28 AM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

I need to get off my lazy rear and edit in D1's rules on alternate disciplines one of these days. If that is necessary for something to be considered "complete" then that an a legacy weapon are all I am lacking... and legacy weapons aren't really mandatory...
    Since no one will ever touch a legacy weapon...
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Yeah, the Legacy Weapons are important for the Nine Swords, but not for any homebrew'd disciplines.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Leap Dragoon:
    Are we going to include this or not? It needs the backstory re-written, but until I know a bit more about the overall history of the Age of Warriors setting, I don't know what I could do to do that... unless you want to just go ahead and integrate Final Fantasy IX in here (in a very "No, you CAN'T go through the portal" GM Fiat sort of way).
    It may make sense to just keep the stuff that doesn't fit with the fluff in its own chapter or such and just have it as "fun things that don't fit in the setting exactly but are very well done and so we thought they should be included." I'd imagine the DBZ stuff, the Leap Dragoon and the Falling Anvil all in that category.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Also, for the associated items: For Broken Blade, amulet that has a sword crossed with a quill.

For Narrow Bridge, a helm in the shape of a skull.

Edit: Draco, also in the table above, the formatting for Falling Anvil is broken.
    Have taken care of all of this in the appropriate places (although I am curious as to why you didn't handle the amulet and the helm yourself).

It may make sense to just keep the stuff that doesn't fit with the fluff in its own chapter or such and just have it as "fun things that don't fit in the setting exactly but are very well done and so we thought they should be included." I'd imagine the DBZ stuff, the Leap Dragoon and the Falling Anvil all in that category.
    I really only threw Leap Dragoon in on the theory of "Eh... why not?". We can leave it out perfectly fine. Falling Anvil we already decided what to do with I think (appendix, even if it does make it harder to cross-reference everything to make it work for those who are going to use it)... the DBZ stuff... isn't my problem.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-03-01 at 12:46 AM.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Have taken care of all of this in the appropriate places (although I am curious as to why you didn't handle the amulet and the helm yourself).
    Um, is there somewhere to put them down other than your big table?

(And honestly, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw your table that there was an issue). Maybe I should add them in to the original threads also.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Um, is there somewhere to put them down other than your big table?

(And honestly, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw your table that there was an issue). Maybe I should add them in to the original threads also.
    The spread-sheets in Elliot20's sig. Anyone with an up-to-date web-browser should be able to edit them as near as I can tell. You don't need any sort of an account, and the links themselves are your password.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

The spread-sheets in Elliot20's sig. Anyone with an up-to-date web-browser should be able to edit them as near as I can tell. You don't need any sort of an account, and the links themselves are your password.
    Er yes I know that. But I don't see anywhere there for the item lists. Am I blind?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

The one that is about disciplines, rather than PrCs. Second tab at the bottom, then scroll right at the top until you see the column for "Maneuver granting item" or whatever it is called.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

The one that is about disciplines, rather than PrCs. Second tab at the bottom, then scroll right at the top until you see the column for "Maneuver granting item" or whatever it is called.
    Ah. I didn't realize there were all these tabs at the bottom. Hmm, makes everything look much more organized. But also makes one realize how much work we have to do. And to think I thought I was being so helpful filling in the basic details on the PrCs sheet. Wow. This looks like a lot to do.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

26. - Top - End - #506
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've taken the archery discussion to a new thread

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. I didn't realize there were all these tabs at the bottom. Hmm, makes everything look much more organized. But also makes one realize how much work we have to do. And to think I thought I was being so helpful filling in the basic details on the PrCs sheet. Wow. This looks like a lot to do.
    Well, the legacy weapon stuff is optional, and the two feats and two class features stuff may or may not be.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm curious, would my Ascendant feats be useful in this endeavor? Basically, they're fluffed and balanced with the idea that only those that don't dabble at all in mystical arts can master them, so not even Sublime warriors would know them.

Basically, a way for non-sublime melee classes to keep up a little bit better.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to go ahead and veto that. This project, while allows for elements that combines other mechanics, is primarily a supplement for ToB based games. I have nothing against boosting non-TOB melee classes, but it needs to relate to the TOB mechanics in SOME fashion. Otherwise, we open the flood gates for too much content. And we already have a ridiculous amount of work ahead of us.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and veto that. This project, while allows for elements that combines other mechanics, is primarily a supplement for ToB based games. I have nothing against boosting non-TOB melee classes, but it needs to relate to the TOB mechanics in SOME fashion. Otherwise, we open the flood gates for too much content. And we already have a ridiculous amount of work ahead of us.
    Eh, no problem. I was just in there editing it, and I thought of the project.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):