New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e PrC] Omni-Caster (PEACH)

After my previous failed attempt at a Theurge class and my somewhat more successful attempt, I've decided to try my hand at it one more time. This time with a class combination that I can be pretty sure does not already have a PrC specifically designed for it. I give you:

The Omni-Caster
    "Arcane, Divine, Psionic... it's all the same. And I've mastered... ALL OF THEM.
    -Rhaigo, Omni-Caster

Some people are good at magic. Some people are so good, that they learn how to use both arcane and divine magic. Then some are so intrigued by the melding of these, that they throw in other types of arcane and divine magic as well. And then learn how to use Psionics just to top it all off. Yes, that's right. This is an Arcane/Arcane/Divine/Divine/Psionic Theurge class. Omni-Casters spend the vast majority of their time studying various sorts of supernatural powers and learn how to blend and harness their immense reservoir of energy.

Becoming an Omni-Caster
    Omni-Casters usually start there careers as a Wizard or Cleric, often angling for Mystic Theurge. Then they decide that's not enough. They travel the world looking for teachers in the various supernatural arts to perfect the True Art. They have not one, but many teachers in their search for the unifying truth of all magic.

Entry Requirements
    Feats: Any Metamagic feat and any Metapsionic feat
    Powers: Ability to manifest first level powers
    Spells: Ability to cast first level spells from two arcane sources (classes) and two divine sources.

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Heal, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Psicraft, and Spellcraft
    Skill Points each level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Hit Dice: d4

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting/Powers Known
    1st
    +0
    +0
    +0
    +2
    Singular Approach +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    2nd
    +1
    +0
    +0
    +3
    Increase Power +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    3rd
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +3
    Crossover +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    4th
    +2
    +1
    +1
    +4
    Spell Barrage +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    5th
    +2
    +1
    +1
    +4
    Spell Consumption +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    6th
    +3
    +2
    +2
    +5
    Crossover +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    7th
    +3
    +2
    +2
    +5
    Metafuel +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    8th
    +4
    +2
    +2
    +6
    Focus Power +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
    9th
    +4
    +3
    +3
    +6
    10th
    +5
    +3
    +3
    +7
    Singular Clarity +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class

Weapon and armor proficiency: Omni-Casters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Singular Approach: Along their journeys, the Omni-Caster has learned how to harness all portions of their mind to channel the immense power at their command. However, when they start walking the True Path, they select a single method of handling their talents. One approach to all of the universe's secrets. They choose one of their mental ability scores and this score becomes the ability which the DCs, casting requirements, bonus spells, and bonus PP are based off of for all of their casting and manifesting classes.

Increase Power: The Omni-Caster has forgone raw power in pursuit of something far more valuable - Versatility. However, with the vast number of spells and powers at their disposal, they've found a way to regain their lost potency. Whenever they cast a spell or manifest a power they may sacrifice a spell slot or spend a number of PP to increase their ML or CL by an amount proportional to this sacrifice, up to a +4 bonus. Spell levels count towards this at a one-for-one basis whereas PP count at a two-for-one basis (2PP = +1 CL/ML). This does not stack with Practiced Spellcaster and increases the casting time to a full-round action if it would normally be a standard action and otherwise increases the casting time by a single full-round action. The slot being sacrificed must be from a source different than that of the spell being cast if they are indeed both spells. If it is a power being manifested, the sacrifice must be in the form of a spell slot. Using this ability increases the maximum amount a Power can be augmented.

Crossover: From their extensive training the Omni-Caster has begun to unravel the mysteries that unify their eclectic practice. They select three spells or powers which they can cast/manifest from their lists and add them to other lists of their choosing (Not three from each, three total). Spells becoming powers are of the level that they were before with a suitable cost and no augments. Powers becoming spells are again of the same level, but by preparing them in higher spell slots, their Augments may still be taken advantage of (One slot higher = 2pp worth of augment). Assign a suitable discipline or school to these crossovers.

Spell Barrage: They have a lot of spells. Using conventional methods, it's difficult to use all of them in the course of a day. And what's the point of having them if you can't use them? By expending their Psionic Focus and spending a number of PP equal to 2N-1 where N is the total level of the involved spells, the Omni-Caster may perform a Spell Barrage. As a full-round action they cast a number of spells whose total level does not exceed their level in this class and whose casting times are all standard actions.

Spell Consumption: Magic energy is magic energy. The Omni-Caster has learned the odd technique of consuming their raw spell slots and converting them into PP. As a full-round action the Omni-Caster may sacrifice one of their spell slots and gain a number of PP equal to the level of the slot being sacrificed. They may not exceed their maximum PP in this way and may never use this ability to gain more than class level X 10 PP in a single day.

Metafuel: Metamagic and Metapsionics are good. They help the Omni-Caster view powers and spells from the angle of a mathematician working with a formula. Tweak the variables and tweak the result. Starting at 7th level they may expend some of their energy from other sources in order to fuel their use of Meta-Energy. When manifesting powers or spontaneously casting spells they may sacrifice a spell slot from one or more of their other sources of a total level equal to or greater than twice the slot adjustment or that would yield an amount of PP equal to or greater than twice the PP adjustment if Consumed to pay for a metamagic/psionic feat to be applied to a power or spell. For using PP to pay for a spell slot adjustment, the amount required is four times the slot adjustment. For example, an individual trying to Enlarge a Fireball could expend 4 pp to do so. They may spend a minute concentrating on one of their prepared spells and apply a metamagic feat to using the above costs. This ability may not be used to exceed the usual PP limit or to increase a spell's slot above the maximum which you may cast. This ability is usually utilized to expend the low-level slots that Omni-Casters find in such abundance.

Focus Power: Omni-Casters are a bit behind characters that chose to walk a narrow-minded, single-casting path. As a result, they have access to lower level spells and powers. Because of this, the DC of their supernatural abilities is a bit... sub-par. Well no longer. At 8th level the Omni-Caster learns how to channel their powers into increasing the DC of their abilities. This works just as Increase Power except it is the DC that is increased instead of the CL/ML, the max increase is +2 and it takes twice as much energy (2 spell levels or 4pp per +1). Only one of these may be applied at a time.

Singular Clarity: All of it is the same. Arcane, Divine, Psionic. It's all one. And the Omni-Caster knows how to work this to their advantage. At the cost of a number of spell levels from each of their spellcasting sources equal to their CL, a number of PP equal to twice their ML, and the expenditure of their Psionic Focus, they may achieve this Singular Clarity. For one minute per the lowest of their CLs or ML, they have the following abilities:

• Focus or Increase without casting time increase. Both can be used in the same round.
    • Use spontaneous slots to cast prepared spells or spontaneous spells from other sources regardless of arcane/divine.
    • Sacrifice prepared slots to cast spontaneous spells or prepared spells from other sources. Again, regardless of arcane/divine.
    • Use PP to cast prepared or spontaneous spells at the cost of 2N-1 where N is the spell level.
    • Manifest powers by sacrificing a spell slot of equal or higher level. Expending a higher-level slot yields PP to be used in an Augment, if one exists, at a 2pp per spell slot rate.
    • Two spells may be Consumed in a single round.

And that's it. When I started on this it was really a joke. It's become a slightly more serious class now, but the idea is still ludicrous. When I started I rationalized the large number of class features by the massive drop in power. It's like the Mysic Theurge times two. But after looking at all of this, I had to make some tweaks such that they couldn't abuse their immense power too terribly. For example, there didn't use to be a limit on Spell Consumption. I think it still may be a bit too powerful given some of the features I gave it. And before anyone asks, this was not an attempt to use all supernatural systems. I know that I did not include binding, shadowcasting, truenaming, incarnum and invocations. That's not what I was going for. There's a better than even chance that this simply is not possible. Progressing in five casting(/manifesting) classes at once is just too much. There's no way that one person could keep track of it all and again, it probably is way overpowered. Especially since a couple of the features get rid of some of the only weaknesses. In such a case, see it as a joke class and link to it when someone asks about a class that can cast everything. If, however, I have magically succeeded in balancing it (which I find unlikely)... then wow.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 07:55 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: [3.5e PrC] Omni-Caster (PEACH)

Considering the kind of prestige class this it, you should have as a capstone that all other prestige class that raise your caster level or manifester level raise it for your 5 classes so that you dont fall behind even more after level 15.

Or you cuold also make this a 15 level prestige class (you will still have the same problem after this for epic level)

My suggestion would be to have this Prestige class be 15 level AND the capstone to continue to progress all your 5 classes at the same time when you become epic.

But beside that this seem nice

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xzoltar View Post
    Considering the kind of prestige class this it, you should have as a capstone that all other prestige class that raise your caster level or manifester level raise it for your 5 classes so that you dont fall behind even more after level 15.

Or you cuold also make this a 15 level prestige class (you will still have the same problem after this for epic level)

My suggestion would be to have this Prestige class be 15 level AND the capstone to continue to progress all your 5 classes at the same time when you become epic.

But beside that this seem nice
    Why thank you! Well, now we get to the recurring Theurge problem. All Theurge classes are 10-level. All of them. Don't know why, but that's how things are. So going by RAW, you're screwed once you're done with it. However, a houserule I use and one that I advise others to use is to simply extend Theurge classes like this out till the character reaches epic (at which point an Epic Progression is made which seems a lot like the extension). All this would do is continue progressing the casting and manifesting, as well as the Barrage limit. And in general it's a good rule for most any kind of Theurge. Like really, what did they expect the Mystic Theurge to do once they reached the cap? But that was WotC, not me. I advise you to allow an extension, but it isn't really part of the class.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I will give you this, the class made me lol hard when reading it, and while I kinda suck at crunch-homebrew you have now inspired to make something even more ridicilous then this..an arcane/divine/psionic/invocation/shadowcaster/binder/incarnium/truenamer theurge...the class that really can cast everything...yeah, that would be a TOTAL joke class, even more so then this one, but you have inspired me so why not?
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maho-Tsukai View Post
    I will give you this, the class made me lol hard when reading it, and while I kinda suck at crunch-homebrew you have now inspired to make something even more ridicilous then this..an arcane/divine/psionic/invocation/shadowcaster/binder/incarnium/truenamer theurge...the class that really can cast everything...yeah, that would be a TOTAL joke class, even more so then this one, but you have inspired me so why not?

Glad that I could be of inspiration.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, now I just got to think of it's totally ridiculous class features....also, despite the absurdity of your class I actually feel like trying it out in a real game on a wizard/sorcerer/invoker(see my sig)/archivist/psion entry. Yeah, I have two casting stats, but I only need an 11 the secondary stat to enter the class and then I can choose a stat and stick with it(int, most likely.)...too bad bard dose not start out with level 1s or I'd replace sorcerer with bard and have access to ALMOST every list in the game....totally ridiculous class, but looks like it COULD be playable in a high level game where you do not have to weather the levels before you enter this...also, I chose archivist in place of druid as it has access to both the druid list AS WELL as every other divine list ever meaning I can cast shugenja spells, OA shaman spells, Paladin spells, Ranger ect....that and I am not forced to be neutral something/have more alignment freedom that way.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-05-27 at 08:31 PM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that's pretty much what it's meant for. Though you can certainly imagine the hell these characters went through for their first five levels...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

I want a pet one of these as a cohort for my Grand High Vizier character (who is actually a mostly-rogue and is VERY good at faking stuff). Then I could say 'Giles, sort this out would you dear fellow..' and he probably could. They'd be hilarious, universally competant and almost exclusively underpowered. One thing which does slightly scare the crap outa me is what would happen if you threw item creation feats into this roiling mass of multi-magics...you could make just about anything and everything given a little time.
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    I want a pet one of these as a cohort for my Grand High Vizier character (who is actually a mostly-rogue and is VERY good at faking stuff). Then I could say 'Giles, sort this out would you dear fellow..' and he probably could. They'd be hilarious, universally competant and almost exclusively underpowered. One thing which does slightly scare the crap outa me is what would happen if you threw item creation feats into this roiling mass of multi-magics...you could make just about anything and everything given a little time.
    Indeed, item creation becomes a very potent choice. Even just going with Craft Wondrous Item... I could imagine a high-level Rogue/Fighter who had one of these as his supplier of magic doohickies for missions...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow. I really hope the poor soul who plays this either takes duskblade as an arcane or uses Fractional BAB. Five 1st level casting/manifesting AND 0 BAB until SEVENTH LEVEL? That's a lot of hell to go through.

11. - Top - End - #11

*whistles*
    Five caster classes? Thats a lot of spells and versatility. I like.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Wow. I really hope the poor soul who plays this either takes duskblade as an arcane or uses Fractional BAB. Five 1st level casting/manifesting AND 0 BAB until SEVENTH LEVEL? That's a lot of hell to go through.
    Why in the world would they ever be using their BAB? Ray spells? Surely they can find a way around that... But I do advocate fractional BAB. It makes sense.

And I think Caster Level and upper-level spell/power access would be a more pressing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    *whistles*
    Five caster classes? Thats a lot of spells and versatility. I like.
    It's like the Mystic Theurge, times four. The pluses and the minuses.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Ray spells and touch spells, as well as for the first two or three levels when they have to rely on their crossbow/longbow (if they were an elf) to deal damage with their 2-5 1st level spells per day per class. (Plus up until 6th level they're still only dealing 1d4+1 with that Magic Missile, so yeah, the bow is important)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can already see a StP Erudite/Archivist/Wizard/Sorcerer/Druid taking this class and learning ALL MAGICS!1! HAHAHAHA!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    I can already see a StP Erudite/Archivist/Wizard/Sorcerer/Druid taking this class and learning ALL MAGICS!1! HAHAHAHA!
    Caution: Side effects may include:

• Ridicule from other casters
    • Loss of Caster or Manifester Level
    • Temporary loss of Power Points
    • Feeling of omnipotence
    • Maniacal laughter
    • Wish to rule the world
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-06-07 at 08:36 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Sign me up!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Even without any class features this class is amazing. To have a level 30 character, 4 levels in each class and 10 for Omni-Caster, we would have a character that can cast spells and psychic powers of five level 14 casters a total of a level 70 character.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2013-08-11 at 11:06 AM.