|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+9|+12|Bonus Feat, Uncanny Power +10, Drain Mind|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
    Class Skills for the Psionicst Knight (Henceforth referred to simply as the Gloamknight) are... Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Disguise, Escape Artist, Heal, Hide, Hypnosis, Jump, Knowledge (any two), Listen, Move Silently, Profession (Any one), Psicraft, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble, Use Psionic Device.
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features:
    Weapons and Armor: Gloamknights are proficient with Light armor, Medium armor, no shields, Simple weapons, and a martial weapon of choice.

Power Points/Day:
    A Gloamknight’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points she has available. Her base daily allotment of power points is given on the table. In addition, she receives bonus power points per day if she has a high Charisma score. Her race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.

Powers Known:
    A Gloamknight begins play knowing one Gloamknight powers of your choice. She unlocks knowledge of new powers infrequently, as shown on table.

Choose the powers known from the psion power list. The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge allow a Gloamknight to learn powers from other lists, and gain the power usable. (Effectively giving her the power in addition to what she has available. Example; a third level Gloamknight gets Expanded knowledge, she has 1 power, and the new power gained from the feat usable.) A Gloamknight can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than her manifester level.

The number of times a Gloamknight can manifest powers in a day is limited only by her daily power points.

A Gloamknight simply knows her powers; they are ingrained in her mind. She does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though she must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all her spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against Gloamknight powers is 10 + the power’s level + the psion’s charisma modifier.
    Maximum Power Level Known: A Gloamknight begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As she attains higher levels, a Gloamknight may gain the ability to master more complex powers.

To learn or manifest a power, a Gloamknight must have an charisma score of at least 10 + the power’s level.

The Gloamknight can reselect her Powers available to her once every five levels.

Channel Psionics:
    The Gloamknight can channel one power through her melee weapon, channeled power changes to have a range of 0, and no area effect if any. Otherwise the power is subject to metapsionics, but is only subject to augmentation from Psionic Amplification.

Psionic Amplification:
    The Gloamknight, when Channeling a power through her weapon, gets a number of free PP for use in augmentation equal to her manifester levels. You don't need to spend all of it, naturally. This is in effect each time you channel, and is not a single stagnate pool of #PP.

Mindspeed:
    The Gloamknight directs her power inward. When ever psionically focused she gains the indicated bonus to her speed as shown on the table. Stacks with any bonuses of speed from elsewhere, such as Speed of Thought.

Uncanny Power:
    The Gloamknight gains the ability to share the power strain between her and the very energy of her weapons impact. She gains the listed bonus to the total PP she may spend on one power when ever she channels a power through her melee weapon.
    Example. Charles, a fourth level Gloamknight can spend two extra pp per power use then normally allowed when ever he channels a power through his trusty Warhammer.

Bonus Feats:
    A Gloamknight gains a bonus feat at fifth, and every five levels thereafter. This bonus feat must be [psionic] or [metapsionic].

Drain Life:
    The Gloamknight can sap the life force from an enemy. When Psionically focused, foe they damage lose 1 point of Charisma per melee hit as they're personality is drained away. For every two points of charisma the Gloamknight deals, they gain one temporary bonus to charisma.
    Damage lasts 1d10 rounds, Temporary bonus lasts 1d8 minutes. If the blow that caused the drain kills the target, you instead get +2 temporary charisma bonus for 24 hour.

Drain Mind:
    The Gloamknight saps the mental reserves of those she kills. When ever the Gloamknight kills a foe, she gains half they're remaining power point as temporary points to herself. they go away at a rate of 1 per round. She also gains a single power point recovered for every critical hit she lands. All this is while Psionically focused.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-10 at 11:17 PM.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [base] Psionicist Knight

First of all, although I like the idea (full bab psionic class, like a psionic duskblade), I think there are some pretty major issues with this class.

First, the hit-dice (d6) is tiny for people who are supposed to be in melee (unless they are sneaky skillmonkeys with 3/4 bab, which this isn't). I know this is probably a balancing factor, but I think it should be bumped to at least d8 (some hit dice as the duskblade). Also, unless it's a house rule you use (and it should therefore be mentioned) there is no "medium" save progression, and I believe that a good fortitude save would be more fitting.

Second, the power point per day progression is completely out of whack. There is no logic to it, and it even goes down on some levels. I'd recommend something similar to the psy-wars PP progression or, if you want a number similar to yours, something following the same equation but starting with 3 instead of 2 and increasing every 4 levels instead of every 5 levels.

Third, although this might be a personal thing, I am really not a fan of the 9th level casting with only 5 powers. I just don't see this class as being a full manifester, and as such, I'd recommend giving it PP similar to psychic warriors (if you keep the free augmentation thing) but only half the powers known (so 1 per 2 level) and up to 6th level powers. If you really want to keep the power progression, you might want to let them switch out their powers known everyday from a larger list (that grows at maybe 1 or 2 powers per level). You might also want to restrict access to some of the more iconic psy war powers, unless this class intends to replace it.

Finally, channel psionics should be clarified as only allowing targeted spells. You probably don't want your Psionicist Knight summoning astral construct 5 levels stronger than they are for less pp than they should be (even more if you use overchannel). I also do not understand why this class gets a speed bonus when it really doesn't gain anything from the mobility.
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I like this idea, but I think the powers aspect of the class needs reworking. The odd progression of power points per level (as in, some going down, as at 8th, 14th, 17th, and 20th level), as well as the truly limited number of powers known, seems to make this a highly limited class. Combine that with the low hit dice, and it's not a terribly effective class.

That being said, I would say boosting the hit dice to d8 would work. If you fix the progression of power points to something less counter-intuitive, then that will be cool. Finally, I think the class needs more powers. I mean, it grows in top manifesting levels, but only learns a new power every four levels or so. That's extremely limited. Even the Psychic Warrior gets a new power every level. I would place it similarly to that, or maybe half that, but definitely not as low as 1 every 4 levels.

In all, I like it. Something I could see using.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

any better?

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    any better?
    I don't know...you cut their power points by a third in order to give them 3 more powers known? It's...better and worse. I'm not sure.

6. - Top - End - #6

hm...

fine.

there, now is it any better?

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

Hmmm...using the Psychic Warrior for balance (Because we don't really have any other melee based psionic base classes to balance it against) I'd say it's fair. 7 less PP per day and half as many powers known (as well as selection from a much less gish-helpful power list), in exchange for channeling psionics, two extra skill points per level, access to 9th level powers, full BAB and a medium saving throw.

(Uncanny Power and Psionic Amplification replace a plentiful amount of bonus feats, so they seem to even out as well)

I like it much better now.

8. - Top - End - #8

Though I'm not used to psionics, this class does look cool. Did you get your idea for this class off of the duskblade by chance? Actually it is more usable than that class (with its higher level powers), especially at higher levels where the extra strength counts.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar View Post
    Though I'm not used to psionics, this class does look cool. Did you get your idea for this class off of the duskblade by chance? Actually it is more usable than that class (with its higher level powers), especially at higher levels where the extra strength counts.

I didn't think about the duskblade until after I made this. It was created in almost literally 1 minute on the fly when I needed to use full progression powers, full BAB, on a melee character.
    It was still a jury rigged class held together by mental rubber bands and toothpicks, so took it apart and remade it here with more solid components.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

Because I am a fan of your work, I would normally be disappointed by the lack of a capstone, were I not aware you were planning to prestige out of this class.

You should probably add that Psionic Amplification is determined by manifester level, not class level, so that if someone does prestige out, it continues to advance for them.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-09 at 12:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

added.

fix'd.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Agreed. The newest incarnation is far more to my liking.

13. - Top - End - #13

Charisma drain huh? Interesting...Does the temporary increase in Charisma grant you temporary bonus power points for having a high Charisma score?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Charisma drain huh? Interesting...Does the temporary increase in Charisma grant you temporary bonus power points for having a high Charisma score?
    I think by RAW you do.
    Also, maybe make this work better in campaigns with the magic/psionics transparency rule?
    IE: when you kill a caster work out the equivilant pp of their spells and allow SLA's to be affected. Other than that, I like it and want to use it at some point.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

15. - Top - End - #15

A full BAB full manifester, eh. Do the words "Lightning Warrior" mean anything to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #16

I hardly think 10 powers known is the same level as "full manifester". Besides, psionics isn't magic. There's only the XPH, Hyperconscious, and Complete Psionic to choose powers from, as opposed to all the splatbooks that printed new spells. The psionicist knight doesn't even get to choose a discipline, so his access to powers is severely limited when compared to the psion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A full BAB full manifester, eh. Do the words "Lightning Warrior" mean anything to you?
    It is hardly as broken as lightning warrior.
    That gives wizard casting without speclising and a familier.
    That will hardly break the class to unplayable.

Note: This is me talking serious with a serious face.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Re: [base] the Gloamknight

Renamed.

Gloamknight seems to have a feel similar to the Dawn/Duskblades. Gloam even being synonymous with Dusk.

It also seems to capture the feel of they're pp stealing abilities drawing from the subjects death or personality.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-09 at 11:03 AM.

My Homebrew