New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Banned

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

A large part of the guess came based on the fact that it was the only series big enough to be both well-known and popular and have three full untranslated games. So i probably wouldn't have begun guessing at it if i had known it was from three different series. This does make it harder though. Action RPG could be the Seiken Densetsu that is famous but never got translated, i can't remember the number though. Strategy RPG could be a lot of different things, though one of the early Fire Emblem games sound likely. No clue about the last one, though. Can't think of any hybrids between those two genres.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

For the battle against Blaine, you should take Magic Mary, Poppins, China-li, Believe it, Shinku, and Mukyue. Several of them know rock, water, or ground type attacks, so the fire types in the gym will not be much of a problem. China should also have some resistance to the attacks due to being a dragon type.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

No real input on the gym. Just realized that a water/psychic is basically a quick way to make Bruno cry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone else feel that it's wrong so many characters lose their hats in their highest evolutions? I mean, it's Touhou, for crying out loud!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Does anyone else feel that it's wrong so many characters lose their hats in their highest evolutions? I mean, it's Touhou, for crying out loud!
    Where do you think TF2 gets its hats from? They're exporting their hats.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #486
    Banned

By the time they reach their final evolution they are powerful and confident enough that they aren't afraid to break social mores, so they live out their nudist fantasies!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    By the time they reach their final evolution they are powerful and confident enough that they aren't afraid to break social mores, so they live out their nudist fantasies!
    I though those fantasies were those of Ran, or so the Tenko meme says.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

What? She's not a nudist normally, she keeps her cap on! Unlike that pervert Kaguya. Just look at her, indecently prancing around with nothing to decorate her head, not even a pair of animal ears making such decorations impractical. Yet, when they reach their final evolution so many of these girls rebel against social mores by dropping their headgear and prancing around like a group of nudists!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Uhh... okay, then...

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Pixie in the Playground

You know, what I don't like about this part of the game is this: if you're going to make an SDM-themed dungeon and even have the entire stage 3+ cast of EoSD catchable here, why is the music for the place "Satori Maiden - 3rd Eye"? Granted, I love that song, and both "U.N. Owen was Her" and "Septette for the Dead Princess" were taken for other tracks in the game, but why couldn't they at least have gone with "Voile Magic Library" or "Locked Girl" or something? Oh well...
    That's because in the original Japanese version (which inspired all hacks in English, I believe), the Pokémon Mansion was supposed to be a homage to the Palace of the Earth Spirits, with the music and the fact that Rin and Satori were only found there. Seeing the SDM mentioned on the title of the most recent chapter surprise me and left me a bit clueless until I remembered where's the mansion in the game.

By the way, what sets BAlice apart from EAlice?

11. - Top - End - #491
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randfeon View Post
    That's because in the original Japanese version (which inspired all hacks in English, I believe), the Pokémon Mansion was supposed to be a homage to the Palace of the Earth Spirits, with the music and the fact that Rin and Satori were only found there. Seeing the SDM mentioned on the title of the most recent chapter surprise me and left me a bit clueless until I remembered where's the mansion in the game.
    You know, I actually played the original Japanese hack when it first came out, and I still forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

Different stat distribution (trades some attack and a lot of defense for more speed and special), different typing (Ice/Water), and different learned movepool.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, not water/psychic? Pity. Here I was hoping for a Starmie-esque team member that would hate Bruno and everything he stands for.

Also, does anything top EX-Utsuho in terms of special attack? It was a bit like that even pre-evolution, but by the EX stage, the sheer amount of special attack is absolutely horrifying.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randfeon View Post
    It's the swimsuit, obviously.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, does anything top EX-Utsuho in terms of special attack? It was a bit like that even pre-evolution, but by the EX stage, the sheer amount of special attack is absolutely horrifying.
    Nope, don't think so. With 160 base special attack, she just barely tops EX Patchouli, Last Word Yuyuko, Last Word Marisa, and Super Flandre.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd like to actually know these characters better, but the TV Tropes page is so hard to navigate...

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #496

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 7-3

Spoiler
    Show
    I had thought I'd seen enough of annoying gym puzzles. Invisible barriers, teleportation pads, that awful trash can puzzle, and the like. However, at least those were all doable. But today, I came across a challenge that I simply cannot overcome.

Trivia quizzes.

No, it's not that I'm stupid or anything. After all, I'm maintaining a pretty decent GPA in my college curriculum. Rather, this quiz is asking me things that I simply learned about. If you ask me, that's downright unfair. Observe.

Oh come on, how was I suppose to know that?! I mean, she lives in a lovely shrine, and is friends with a wealthy aristocratic vampire, a mage that can make it literally rain gold, and a shinigami who throws money around like confetti! And I should have assumed that she was poor? I'm not sure if they ever even talked about that in Labyrinth of Touhou!

At least I can make up for my deficiencies with good old-fashioned bullying of nerds! Actually, come to think of it, that doesn't sound very appealing. It's like Academic Decathlon all over again...

Anyway, moving on now...

Well, come to think of it, how am even I suppose to know this one? It's not like I get to routinely chat with Marisa, you know. And are the PC-98 games even considered the same continuity as the Windows games? I don't know; actually, I don't know how I'm even expected to know the difference between the two.

See? Totally unfair. Not all of us get to spend our lives studying Touhou Project, despite how awesome that sounds. Some of us have to make do with analytical psychology.

Oh, how am I suppose to know this? I haven't even appeared in any of the Touhou games! From my point of view, I'm not even suppose to know the difference between danmaku and fighting games! As if the numbering system weren't screwed up enough!

(Just watch, this question will be so incorrect in a little over a year's time.)

Incidentally, I'm not the only one who overlooked Marisa's penchant for stealing things.

Okay, this one I'd better have gotten right. I mean, it's not like I just spent the entire previous dungeon listening to this theme or anything. And it's not like it's this LPer's favorite Touhou song or anything. And it's not like I just broke the fourth wall or anything.

Although...that felt a bit unfulfilling. I just can't justify stepping out of this room without first beating up the trainer standing here. Oh no...I'm finally beginning to understand why trainers challenge everyone in sight! I've become the very thing I despise! I have been infected with the hate plague!

Yeah...who's ZUN again? That guy I met just north of Cerulean City? Hmm, I didn't realize he was so important. Just what's so special about him?

And no, I am NOT getting these wrong on purpose. I guess I'm just dumb like that.

Or am I? Could it be that I'm just using these quizzes as an excuse to challenge trainers without making myself the aggressor, and thus circumventing the effects of the hate plague? I don't know, I just enjoy messing with you all. It's true, psychology majors enjoy trolling humanity like that. One day, I hope to join the majestic ranks of Frederica Bernkastel, Izaya Orihara, and Kyoto Animation.

Okay, enough screwing around. Let's just end this with the direct approach.

Hey, Blaine! I've got a riddle for you! Why don't need the Secret Key yourself?

Because you've lost your locks! Hahahaha! Get it?

Er...or we could just cut to the fight sequence.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

So Maribel wants to join the ranks of Trollkastle... She better watch out for Battler and Beatroll.

Now all that is left for gyms is Giovanni. Considering the number of ground types, a team similar to the one used against Blaine might suffice , but then again there might something I am not aware of, like fan characters or variations of regular characters.

On a side note, how many swimsuit touhou are there? I saw Okuu in a school swimsuit, and then there's Alice in a bikini.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-06-23 at 09:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    On a side note, how many swimsuit touhou are there? I saw Okuu in a school swimsuit, and then there's Alice in a bikini.
    Six. They're all part water-type, with each a different secondary type. They all have stats that lean towards special sweeping.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking when they made these.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Six. They're all part water-type, with each a different secondary type. They all have stats that lean towards special sweeping.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking when they made these.
    I have an idea of what they were thinking. Fanservice.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Firbolg in the Playground

BOO! Hiss! Blaine's got Mokou! Why isn't she available before the E4? not really angry
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-06-23 at 10:19 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

21. - Top - End - #501

I opened a thread for determining my next Let's Play game. Oh, and Terra, your guesses were amazing.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Banned

Or i'm just scarily nerdy and know what would by far be the most likely choices for something like this. Still neat to actually be right.

Also Maribel, as much as you trolled us there, you are still a long way from the masters, KyoAni and Ku:Nel Sanders. You might seek them out together with Tengu to study the ways of trolling.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    I'd like to actually know these characters better, but the TV Tropes page is so hard to navigate...
    Try the characters page of the Touhou Wiki. I just read through all the profiles in alphabetical order.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Sunnymilk used Sunny Milk? Huh...
    And I wonder what Sunny Day does. Looked pretty useless.

Also, surprised that Kogasa actually managed to scare someone! Not surprised that a certain someone jobbed terribly though. Jiao.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Also Maribel, as much as you trolled us there, you are still a long way from the masters, KyoAni and Ku:Nel Sanders. You might seek them out together with Tengu to study the ways of trolling.
    Don't forget Hideo Kojima, the grandmaster! He's roughly the same troll as Ku:Nel, but scores extra points for being an actual, existing person.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Don't forget Hideo Kojima, the grandmaster! He's roughly the same troll as Ku:Nel, but scores extra points for being an actual, existing person.
    And don't forget Captain Broken Aizen. Or the Ebon Dragon, who even trolls himself.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Terumi from BlazBlue got declared the god of trolling a while back.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-24 at 08:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    And I wonder what Sunny Day does. Looked pretty useless.
    In the normal Pokemon games, Sunny Day increases the power of Fire attacks by 50%, cuts the power of Water attacks in half, lowers the accuracy of Thunder, lets Solarbeam fire without having to charge up first, and a few more stuff.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground

And in Touhoumon? Same thing?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

30. - Top - End - #510

Should be. EX Utsuho one-shots Meiling with Hells Tokamak when Sunny weather is up, and Beach Utsuho uses Solarbeam without needing to charge up. (This occurred on an earlier unrecorded run.)