New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 9: Contents Under Pressure

Plus Fire Emblem is awesome.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah, education comes first

Also, I sympathise with your hurry -_-
    ...I wish I had your motivation myself.
    Last edited by CWater; 2013-02-20 at 04:19 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Yeah, education comes first

Also, I sympathise with your hurry -_-
    ...I wish I had your motivation myself.
    I know, right? She's so motivated...
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Prelim week+Fire Emblem=Little time to work on the comic. Last prelim's next Tuesday, so expect an update by the middle-end of next week. I'm really sorry, guys.
    We can wait. Fire Emblem is very, very important.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    We can wait. Fire Emblem is very, very important.
    Very, very, very, very, very important! You forgot about 3 verys

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

So who else thinks this would double as Rust's theme pretty well?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

This

Here I sit on watch,
    guarding the house,
    defending the hall from the foe.

The wind wafts
    Gibich's son
    on his way to woo a wife.
    His helmsman is
    a hero bold
    who will defy danger for him.
    His own bride
    he brings back to the Rhine;
    but to me he brings - the ring!
    You sons of freedom,
    cheerful companions,
    gaily sail away!
    Though you deem him base,
    you will yet serve
    the Niblung's son.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #98

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    So who else thinks this would double as Rust's theme pretty well?
    Not bad, sounds sinister enough
    Last edited by CWater; 2013-02-21 at 12:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Janine is, in my mind anyway, a very frustrating person to deal with. With what happened to her when she was growing up, it left her emotionally vulnerable, so she seeks out intimacy to prove her own worth even when it really doesn't. I think that because of everything, Janine doesn't really understand what friendship is.
    What exactly happened to her?

I got the impression that she was sexually abused or raped, for a long time repeatedly. She is completely messed up.
    It's kind of common for women to measure their self-worth in terms of attractiveness, but she seems willing to kiss men who aren't attractive to her just to "prove her worth".
    Which is not normal, even for someone who has grown up in a world that objectifies women, and who feels very insecure.

But it seems the man who has done that to her is just considered "dangerously possessive", not a criminal of the worst sort? How can that be?

I sympathize with Janine in that discussion, and honestly cannot understand how someone can talk like this to her when all she did was sleep with a man who was willing; even though it might not have been a wise decision.
    Normally you would expect the person who hasn't been through a breakup to be wiser, but after what happened to Janine she can't be expected to make sensible decisions for other people.

Now, her molesting men is different, she should be called out on that, and I would actually understand anger in that context. But this doesn't seem to be what happened.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2013-02-21 at 04:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post

I got the impression that she was sexually abused or raped, for a long time repeatedly. She is completely messed up.
    It's kind of common for women to measure their self-worth in terms of attractiveness, but she seems willing to kiss men who aren't attractive to her just to "prove her worth".
    Which is not normal, even for someone who has grown up in a world that objectifies women, and who feels a bit insecure.

But it seems the man who has done that to her is just considered "dangerously possessive", not a criminal of the worst sort? How can that be?
    Pretty much sums it up. i believe what happened is that she was told it was the only good thing she was good at the entire time, with it being the only sort of reinforcement she got as she was growing up, it became burned into her mind that "if it came up so much it must be true!" or the like.

As for the final question, most likely he prevented her from telling anybody, or anyone who was aware of the relationship, was not aware enough to know what was fully going on, and just assumed he was over protective or the like from what they did in public.

They were also both clerics, so some "god says it's okay" shenanigans may also be involved.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    As for the final question, most likely he prevented her from telling anybody, or anyone who was aware of the relationship, was not aware enough to know what was fully going on, and just assumed he was over protective or the like from what they did in public.
    Probably. It's just that ... if I can deduce from what she talks like that she has been raped/abused then why can't a cleric whose job seems to be healing people, see that?
    Okay, maybe he's only healing bodies and doesn't want to see the truth for some reason. Of course my deduction can be wrong, but I think he should have asked what exactly happened after she told him what this Johan did to her.

I do hope she gets some help soon. Not just accusations, not even explanations. It is obvious explanations aren't enough to change her messed-up way of thinking.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2013-02-21 at 04:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

There's always a degree of tue-seeing when it comes to readers of a story, we can see how characters act in private, and can take our knowledge from that. however in public the character may act very differently, and any times their privacy was interupted, it may warrent nothing more then an odd look and an assumtion they were merely doing something the interupter was unaware of.

For example assume darth vader loved kittens, so much so that his private quarters is filled to the brim in the small felines, wich he spends all of his free time cuddling and playing with. He's still the exact same darth vader we and the rest of the star wars cast are aware of, it's just that when nobody is looking, he likes to cuddle kittens.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is not normal, even for someone who has grown up in a world that objectifies women, and who feels very insecure.

For what I've read, I got the impression that orc, Quark,had her as a slave or something while she was a child, and he was the first to abuse her and teach her that she was good only as a sexual object. Later, when she was fourteen she met the priest guy, Johan, who at the beginning was nice to her, taught her how to be a cleric, gained her trust...and then pressured her into having sex, telling her that he would kick her out if she didn't comply, reinforcing her idea that people would want her only for sex.

Johan probably was careful enough that he couldn't be accused of rape, just of having sex with female novices (he used brainwashing, emotional blackmail and the threat of kicking out Janine and Roxy, not overt violence).

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 9: Contents Under Pressure

I sympathize with Janine in that discussion, and honestly cannot understand how someone can talk like this to her when all she did was sleep with a man who was willing; even though it might not have been a wise decision.
    Normally you would expect the person who hasn't been through a breakup to be wiser, but after what happened to Janine she can't be expected to make sensible decisions for other people.
    I think Radic's anger was at the fact that Aludean was emotionally vulnerable and probably feeling at fault for the relationship ending (My understanding of "getting over a bad breakup", but I could easily be miustaken. ^_^') and Janine implied having used this to get sex. Essentially, Janine was reinforcing the idea that Aludean was only useful for sex and never for anything more.

While indeed, Janine very much deserves sympathy and comfort (I really wish I could hug fictional characters now! >_<), that does not make the actions excusable. Janine broke Radic's trust and tried to gain something from someone, while knowing that their emotional state would make it difficult for them to say no. What has happened to Janine is a much greater wrong, but we need rights to fix that, not to ignore the smaller wrong.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I think Radic's anger was at the fact that Aludean was emotionally vulnerable and probably feeling at fault for the relationship ending (My understanding of "getting over a bad breakup", but I could easily be miustaken. ^_^') and Janine implied having used this to get sex. Essentially, Janine was reinforcing the idea that Aludean was only useful for sex and never for anything more.
    I'm not sure whether Janine really wanted sex in the first place. She is so messed up I can imagine that she slept with him to get him to trust her, she said that "worked".

He was emotionally vulnerable, but then, so is she, all the time. And she doesn't even seem to be able to understand that a man might actually want to say "no", so I don't think she consciously took advantage of his vulnerability.

Of course she has, if I recall correctly, done some things that could be called molestation, but calling her a slut is the wrong course of action here. That's not what "slut" usually means.

@Clistenes: I can't even remember an orc - read the first part of the comic too long ago I guess. But yeah, that does make sense. Slavery would mess her up like this.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2013-02-21 at 09:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Someone needs to supply Serrin with a Mass Orgy spell and a lot of dwarven beer.

ETA: I wonder if the team would be powerful enough to stop Darth Rosenberg?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2013-02-21 at 11:24 AM.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Someone needs to supply Serrin with a Mass Orgy spell and a lot of dwarven beer.

You meant to say Janine, right...?

Right?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    There's always a degree of tue-seeing when it comes to readers of a story, we can see how characters act in private, and can take our knowledge from that. however in public the character may act very differently, and any times their privacy was interupted, it may warrent nothing more then an odd look and an assumtion they were merely doing something the interupter was unaware of.

For example assume darth vader loved kittens, so much so that his private quarters is filled to the brim in the small felines, wich he spends all of his free time cuddling and playing with. He's still the exact same darth vader we and the rest of the star wars cast are aware of, it's just that when nobody is looking, he likes to cuddle kittens.
    This is amusing. xD Can I quote part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Can I have that spell?

Power is irrelevant. Only cuddles can stop her.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose I should have known Lix would want that spell...

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose I should have known Lix would want that spell...
    I'd've thought Lix would've been the one to invent that spell... or at least she would have already had it
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I'd've thought Lix would've been the one to invent that spell... or at least she would have already had it
    I presumed the word "mass" was new.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

You meant to say Janine, right...?

Right?
    Janine doesn't need the spell. She needs serious therapy.

― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #113
    Colossus in the Playground

All will be clear in the prequel~! But seriously, I love you guys and your analyses.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

I do themes instead of analyses.

Lloyd Zephyr

Spoiler
    Show
    Like a blade of a sword I am forged in flame
    Fiery hot
    Tempered steel fire-bright to the night I take
    I fear not
    Now compelled by something I cannot see
    I go forth surrendering to history

Your glory, I swear I ride for thee
    Your power, I trust it rides with me
    Your servant, I am and ever shall I be

Through a dream
    I have a come to an ancient door
    Lost in the mist
    I have been there a hundred times or more
    Pounding my fists
    Now inside, the fire of the ancient burns
    A boy goes in and suddenly a man returns

I gave my word and gained a key
    I gave my heart and set it free
    There's no turning back from this odyssey
    Because I feel so alive suddenly
    And I wonder, is this really me?

Love theme for Radic and Matt

Spoiler
    Show
    I gotta tell you what I'm feelin' inside, I could lie to myself, but it's true
    There's no denying when I look in your eyes, girl I'm out of my head over you
    I lived so long believin' all love is blind
    But everything about you is tellin' me this time

[Chorus:]
    It's forever, this time I know and there's no doubt in my mind
    Forever, until my life is thru, girl I'll be lovin' you forever

I hear the echo of a promise I made
    When you're strong you can stand on your own
    But those words grow distant as I look at your face
    No, I don't wanna go it alone
    I never thought I'd lay my heart on the line

[chorus] - yeah!

I see my future when I look in your eyes
    It took your love to make my heart come alive
    Cos I lived my life believin' all love is blind

Tinder's Theme.

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me your gold
    Gold, gold
    Gold, gold
    Gold, gold
    Gold

Blue moon is walking
    These lips are smoking
    Big time disaster
    My heart gets faster

My pot is melting
    Doctors consulting
    Destiny
    Give it to me

This is your show
    And it's old and it's a wonder
    This day I give it to you
    Give it to you

Give me your gold
    Give me your gold

You got a nugget in your pocket
    Got a nugget in your hand
    Got a nugget for a grand

So forget your hesitation
    Take a dozen invitation
    Like it's for a great confusion
    Like it's for a grand illusion

Clouds, love, stars, colors

Goldrush Goldrush, rush

Got a nugget in your hand
    Got a nugget for a grand

So forget your hesitation
    Take a dozen invitation
    Like it's for a great confusion
    Like it's for a grand illusion

Clouds, love, stars, colors

Gold

Take it into the night

Gold

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2013-02-21 at 02:18 PM.

― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #115

Griffon

I approve of the metallishness of the first two

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I presumed the word "mass" was new.
    It's a frikken ORGY spell! Of course it's mass! How do you do a single-target orgy spell?!

Don't answer that.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

What's the difference between something being implicit or explicit?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    It's a frikken ORGY spell! Of course it's mass! How do you do a single-target orgy spell?!
    Well, I'd assume-

Don't answer that.
    Aww.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm guessing that word is considered PG13 because it occasionally means "big party in Ancient Rome," even though that's clearly not what you're talking about?

I'm guessing it's also okay to use the word "intercourse" whenever we want, and it would still be okay for this forum, because it could be used to mean "conversation?"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing that there's more leeway when it's related to the subject, and if you try to game the system, they come down on you like a tonne of bricks.