New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default [3.5 Feats] Fey Heritage

Background- I was planning on making some heritage feats for divinely descended beings like Aasimars as my next feat chain, but while I was looking through existing Heritage feats to see what was already out there....when I came across Fey Heritage. Which was quite frankly a disgrace. A few spell-like abilities and a bonus to Will saves. Plus a little damage reduction. So, I've decided to make my own Fey Heritage feats. Please enjoy!

Fey Heritage[Fey]
    Benefit:
    You are descended from the Fey, inheriting their skills and temperament. This grants multiple benefits. Firstly, you gain a bonus equal to 1 + 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have to all Cha-based checks. Secondly, you gain a pool of Fairy Points(FP) equal to 2 + the number of Fey feats you have. Thirdly, you may expend 1 FP in order to either create a minor illusion, as per the Silent Image ability, with your caster level being treated equal to 1/2 your level + the number of Fey feats you have, or to increase your bonus to Cha-based checks to be equal to 1 + the number of Fey feats you have. For any Fey feats that require a DC, the DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 level + number of Fey feats you have.

Glamours[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage
    Benefit: You know how to cloak things in illusion and disguise them. You may, as a standard action, create an effect that mimics the Disguise Self spell, treating your caster level as being equal to the number of Fey feats you have. You may expend 2 FP in order to mimic a Minor Image spell, or 1 FP to change your Disguise Self spell to extend to the same limits as an Alter Self spell, although the effect is still illusion.

Seemings[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, Glamours, 6th level
    Benefit: You know a deeper level of illusions than most mortals know. You may, as a standard action, turn into any creature with HD equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats as though through the Polymorph spell, except you do not regain hit points when transforming, and it is treated as a spell of the Illusion school with the Glamer descriptor. You may expend 1 FP to use this effect to turn into any creature with HD equal up to 1/2 your level + number of Fey feats you have for 2 rounds per Fey feat you have. You may also expend 3 FP in order to mimic a Major Image spell.

Feycraft[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, Glamours, 3rd level
    Benefit: You may make things seem as though they are something else. By taking 1 minute per 5 lb of item, you may create a Feycrafted item from any object you care to name, although you must still make a Craft check for the appropriate item, although you gain a bonus to this check equal to twice the number of Fey feats you have. You cannot make magic items or items with an apparent value exceeding 100 gp per Fey feat you have. Feycrafted items otherwise act as whatever item it appears to be. Afterwards, whenever interacting with a Feycrafted item, a person automatically gets a Will save to discover the true nature of the object, with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 your level + the number of Fey feats you have. If a Feycrafted weapon or armor is found out, it is treated as only 10% + 5% per Fey feat real. You may expend 1 FP in order to reduce an item's creation time to 1 round per 5 lb of item for one item's creation. The maximum weight of an item created this way is 5lb per Fey feat you have. Feycrafted items last for 10 minutes per Fey feat you have.

(Un)Seelie Soldier[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, Glamours, Feycraft, 6th level
    Benefit: You already know how to make items seem like other items. Now you know how to turn creatures into demi-illusions made to serve you. You gain one use of this feat per day per two Fey feats you have. Using this feat, you may expend a daily use as a full-round action to either make a creature seem to be another creature, or make it enhanced by fey power. If you choose to make a creature seem to be another creature, you must first select one creature near you. You then transform it into another creature of HD equal to or less than twice the number of Fey feats that you have as though it were Polymorphed into that creature, although it regains no hit points for doing so. The first time such a creature is attacked by this version of a Seelie Soldier, the attacked creature gains a Will save to disbelieve the illusion placed upon the Seelie Soldier, with a DC equal to that of a creature interacting with a Feycraft item. If disbelieved, the effects granted by the Seelie Soldier's new form are only treated as being 10% + 5% per Fey feat strong. The effects of this feat last for 1 minute per Fey feat you have. You may expend 2 FP for another daily use of this feat's effects.

Fey Favor[Fey,Luck]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, any Luck feat
    Benefit: A Fey's affections are as fickle as can be, but such affections bring benefits. So do yours. One per day per two Fey feats you have, as a standard action, you may grant a Fey's Favor to one ally of your choice. Choose one type of save or roll. The ally under the effect of Fey's favor gain a luck bonus to that kind of roll or save equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the number of Fey feats you have. Also, all Fey feats now count as Luck feats for the purpose of gaining Luck rerolls, and you may expend a Luck reroll in order to grant the effects of a Luck feat you have to an ally. You may expend 1 FP in order to gain another use of this feat.

(Un)Seelie Skin[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, 3rd level
    Benefits: You are as resistant to damage as your Fey forebearers. You gain DR X/Cold Iron, where X is equal to the number of Fey feats you have. You may expend 1 FP to increase this DR by 1 for a number of rounds equal to the number of Fey feats you have.

Fey Presence[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage
    Benefits: You have the same kind of alluring presence as your Fey ancestors. Your bonus to Cha-based checks changes to be equal to 1 + the number of Fey feats you have, and expending 1 FP now grants an additional bonus to such checks equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have. Lastly, you may expend 1 FP to mimic the effects of a Charm Person spell, except that it lasts for 1 hour per Fey feat you have.

Fey Charm[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, Fey Presence, 6th level
    Benefits: You know how to enthrall people as your ancestors did. You gain a bonus to Charisma equal to the number of Fey feats you have. Additionally, you gain a number of FP equal to 1 + 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have for the use of the effects of this feat and Fey Presence. Lastly, the Charm Person effect extends to 1 day per Fey feat you have, and you may expend two FP in order to mimic the effects of Charm Monster, which lasts for a number of hours equal to the number of Fey feats you have.

Fey Dominion[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, Fey Presence, Fey Charm, 9th level
    Benefit: You know how to completely dominate the minds of lesser mortals. You may now use the effects of the Charm Person effect granted by Fey Presence a number of times per day equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have for free, and may expend two uses of this to mimic the Charm Monster effect granted by Fey Charm. Also, the effects of Charm Monster extends to 1 day per two Fey Feats you have, and you may expend 3 FP to mimic the effects of Dominate Person for a number of days equal to the number of Fey feats you have.

Fey Travel[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, one other Fey feat
    Benefit: You know how to teleport in and out of the world, much like a fey. You may teleport 10 ft, at-will, as a move action. Also, you may, once per day per three Fey feats you have, teleport up to twice your land speed as a move action. You may expend FPs to expand any teleportation granted by this feat at a rate of 1 FP per 10 ft, and you may not expend more than 1/2 the number of Fey feats you have in FP on this feat at any time.

Feylord's Heir[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Fey Heritage, 3 other Fey feats, 12th level
    Benefit: You have reached the pinnacle of natural Fey power that can be wielded by mortals, showing that you are descended from a great lord amongst the Fey. This grants multiple benefits. Firstly, you gain the Fey type. Secondly, for a number of rounds per day equal to the number of Fey feats you have, you may make use of any FP-based effects of your Fey feats for free. These rounds do not need to be spent consecutively, but do need to be spent in two-round minimum increments. Lastly, select one type of Fey that has HD equal to or less than you. You may transform into a creature of this type as though you were polymorphed, except that you do not regain hitpoints upon transformation, and you also may use any supernatural abilities the form may have.

Well, that's all for now. Please PEACH.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Feats] Fey Heritage

Nice work, as always (though some feats that seem like they would need to have a FP cost don't...)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Nice work, as always
    Thanks.
    (though some feats that seem like they would need to have a FP cost don't...)
    Hmmm...Like what?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Any of the ones that have X number of uses based off of the number of Fey Heritage feats you have; you have the FP system in play that already accounts for the number of these feats you have, so you should just base the uses of that single pool.

Much like what you do with most of your other feat chains, for example.

As always, I must demand a way to connect this with, say, your Mage feats. Wasn't there one that made illusions?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Any of the ones that have X number of uses based off of the number of Fey Heritage feats you have; you have the FP system in play that already accounts for the number of these feats you have, so you should just base the uses of that single pool.
    The reason that some have X uses per day is because I didn't want people to necessarily have to expend FP in order to use some of the feats, and also to be able to expend FP if they did want more uses.
    As always, I must demand a way to connect this with, say, your Mage feats. Wasn't there one that made illusions?
    That's true, although this chain probably does a better job for illusion than the individual feat for Mage illusions. As for a feat that links the two, I'll think about it. After all, I already have plans to connect it to my next feat chain.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lessee...

Fae Feritage is really powerful... Even compared to most other decent homebrew feats, this one is a complete no-brainer if you're playing a social character. I suggest either adding a suitable weakness or perhaps moving the powerfil Silent Image effect to the Glammer feat and put the personal Disguise Self effect to fae heritage

Glammer This, compared to its predecessor is pretty lame, really. Disguise Self is useful and Alter Self are pretty useful [admittedly, the latter being useful only for seeming to be an ogre]. Again, I suspect that it would seem more useful if Disguise self were part of Fae Heritage and this gaining Silent Image. Similarly useful would be putting in the ability to apply Disguise Self to other creatures.

Seemings: I like this, but i'm not really following. How on earth can you literally BECOME Fine in size via illusion? Plus, infinite shape changing seems abusable. Actual shape shifting might be more useful, or just making it actual illusion, possibly with a Phantasmal component to convince the victim if you need to.

Feycraft: Well... I can make leprechaun gold...honestly stumped as to what else to do with it. Too likely to get discovered before it's used for stuff like switching out people's weapons or armour. Wouldn't take it.

Unseelie Soldier: I can make my ally into a giant. Most useful thing I can come up with. Never really was clear if Polymorph allowed you to make armour and stuff, so this seems like a poor gamble most of the time and there's the hillarious chance that they'll suck worse than before you changed them as a result of being 25% real...

Fae Favour: Not really understanding but if wat i think i grasp is true, it's solid.

[un]Seelie Skin: Nice. I'm surprised it's not a core feature of fairies really.

Fae Presence: Very tasty. Worth taking. The Charm Person [not that I like the spell, it's too blanket] effect seems like it could be easily trimmed down to 1 or 10 minutes per feat without it being less than worthwhile.

Fae Charm: I honestly think this is a bit ridiculous. I reckon that any two of these would be worth a feat. The Charm Person duration is too long for my tastes. Move that to Dominon, perhaps for an FP, given how extreme it is. Perhaps you 1 hour per feat would be alright for this feat.

Fae Dominion: Free uses are worth it on its own. The Charm Monster is a nice upgrade. I'm not sure about Domination, it seems rather, well, Un-fae to me. By this point, the "You're my friend" aspect of the fae has gotten really, really powerful.

Fey Travel: Well, the teleport is useful. We need to know if it's provoking AoOs. It seems like it might, possibly mitigated by an FP. The FP costs of the extension option seems too expensive for the benefits you get. I wouldn't use it unless desperate. If it were 20 or 30 ft, it probably would use it, though.

Feylord's Heir: Smashing feat. Its awesome. The only thing I have against it is actually the rather limited scope of the previous feats. I know that charm, illusions and DR/Cold Iron are the common things in D&D but this has left rather limited options for brewers.

Clean up Feycraft and it might be a better option. The issue with it at the moment is that "Interaction" is a wonderfully vague term and will tend to cause everything to become unreal with great regularity. Just being of limited duration would be fine, maybe based on the Djinn's ability. Fairy stories usually do things like turning willow sticks into swords, so the unreal thing doesn't really make sense anyway.

Other fairy aspects include tying abilties to totems to make them more powerful but adding the possiblity of losing them [see most magic hats] and probably an ability to fly using a stick [more fairies than witches in older stories].

Border Goblins can create items of black iron, that might be a nice upgrade to feycraft.

Pass Without Trace seems to be missing, which is a shame and there's no option to control plants by any means.

Finally, Charm is all well and good but Suggestion has always seemed to be the better option for being manipulative and tricky. Doesn't it seem capricious and fairy-like to tell someone that their friend is hiding a gem from them?
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Lessee...

Fae Feritage is really powerful... Even compared to most other decent homebrew feats, this one is a complete no-brainer if you're playing a social character. I suggest either adding a suitable weakness or perhaps moving the powerfil Silent Image effect to the Glammer feat and put the personal Disguise Self effect to fae heritage
    Hmmm....Maybe I should just give the bonus to Intimidate, Bluff, and Diplomacy, if this feat is too powerful, although I don't think it is.
    Glammer This, compared to its predecessor is pretty lame, really. Disguise Self is useful and Alter Self are pretty useful [admittedly, the latter being useful only for seeming to be an ogre]. Again, I suspect that it would seem more useful if Disguise self were part of Fae Heritage and this gaining Silent Image. Similarly useful would be putting in the ability to apply Disguise Self to other creatures.
    EH, I think it's fine as-is. However, I think you might be onto something with the Disguise Self for other creatures.
    Seemings: I like this, but i'm not really following. How on earth can you literally BECOME Fine in size via illusion? Plus, infinite shape changing seems abusable. Actual shape shifting might be more useful, or just making it actual illusion, possibly with a Phantasmal component to convince the victim if you need to.
    It's illusion as-is. Also, with the at-will shapeshifting....you can turn into any creature with 1 HD or less....at 6th level minimum. Not that overpowered.
    Feycraft: Well... I can make leprechaun gold...honestly stumped as to what else to do with it. Too likely to get discovered before it's used for stuff like switching out people's weapons or armour. Wouldn't take it.
    There's other uses for it. Lots of uses, actually.
    Unseelie Soldier: I can make my ally into a giant. Most useful thing I can come up with. Never really was clear if Polymorph allowed you to make armour and stuff, so this seems like a poor gamble most of the time and there's the hillarious chance that they'll suck worse than before you changed them as a result of being 25% real...
    The idea with this is more like Squirrel->Seelie Soldier->Insert creature here that's way better than a squirrel. Really useful if you have a familiar.
    Fae Favour: Not really understanding but if wat i think i grasp is true, it's solid.
    Good.
    [un]Seelie Skin: Nice. I'm surprised it's not a core feature of fairies really.
    Yeah. Based this off folklore, like most of the feats. No matter the culture, cold iron's a good way to piss off the fey and damage them. Still, the reason it's probably not a core feature of the Fey type is that not all fey in all cultures.
    Fae Presence: Very tasty. Worth taking. The Charm Person [not that I like the spell, it's too blanket] effect seems like it could be easily trimmed down to 1 or 10 minutes per feat without it being less than worthwhile.

Fae Charm: I honestly think this is a bit ridiculous. I reckon that any two of these would be worth a feat. The Charm Person duration is too long for my tastes. Move that to Dominon, perhaps for an FP, given how extreme it is. Perhaps you 1 hour per feat would be alright for this feat.
    Eh, I think I'll keep these as-is.
    Fae Dominion: Free uses are worth it on its own. The Charm Monster is a nice upgrade. I'm not sure about Domination, it seems rather, well, Un-fae to me. By this point, the "You're my friend" aspect of the fae has gotten really, really powerful.
    That's sort of the point. Also, Fey aren't just charming. Many pretty much enslave mortals with their powers. Call it the Dark side of the fey.
    Fey Travel: Well, the teleport is useful. We need to know if it's provoking AoOs. It seems like it might, possibly mitigated by an FP. The FP costs of the extension option seems too expensive for the benefits you get. I wouldn't use it unless desperate. If it were 20 or 30 ft, it probably would use it, though.
    Teleporting 20-30 ft at-will can be powerful. Which is why I allow it to be extended through FP. Still, maybe the FP extension should be changed to 1 FP per 20 ft?
    Feylord's Heir: Smashing feat. Its awesome. The only thing I have against it is actually the rather limited scope of the previous feats. I know that charm, illusions and DR/Cold Iron are the common things in D&D but this has left rather limited options for brewers.
    Grazie.
    Clean up Feycraft and it might be a better option. The issue with it at the moment is that "Interaction" is a wonderfully vague term and will tend to cause everything to become unreal with great regularity. Just being of limited duration would be fine, maybe based on the Djinn's ability. Fairy stories usually do things like turning willow sticks into swords, so the unreal thing doesn't really make sense anyway.
    Yeah, the willow stick-> sword thing is mainly an illusion thing, although I've never heard of stuff like that going down.
    Other fairy aspects include tying abilties to totems to make them more powerful but adding the possiblity of losing them [see most magic hats] and probably an ability to fly using a stick [more fairies than witches in older stories].
    Actually, I've got a really good thing planned for tying together my next feat chain and this one, involving Fairy Courts.
    Border Goblins can create items of black iron, that might be a nice upgrade to feycraft.
    No idea what this means. Unless you're talking about Bordertown, in which case I've only read a handful of short stories based off it.
    Pass Without Trace seems to be missing, which is a shame and there's no option to control plants by any means.
    Not sure what you mean by Pass Without Trace is missing, but there's a reason for the lack of fey plant-love in here. For the most part, I based these feats mostly off of the most common traits of the Fey in general. Not all, or even most of the Fey out there are necessarily plant-lovers or even remotely plant-affiliated.

Finally, Charm is all well and good but Suggestion has always seemed to be the better option for being manipulative and tricky. Doesn't it seem capricious and fairy-like to tell someone that their friend is hiding a gem from them?
    There's something called a Bluff skill. It's used for lying. Which they get a boost to, with this feat chain.

Also, you seem to have not used the same spelling as I did for my feats. Were you just doing what you wanted, or are you British or something?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of these feats fit very well into the D&D version of the fey. The folklore tends to be wider and much more specific to each species, barring a very strong trend towards illusions, usually "switcheroo" [you think that's your sword but it's actually a stick!] and "pixie-leading" [now the field is a cage!] effects.

Fey Heritage: My issue is that you gain advantage on these things regardless of what fey you are related to, which makes little sense. Usually the critters are good at one or two things only, unless they're nobles or queens or something. Plus, Use Magic Device, Use Psionic Device and Iaijutsu Focus hardly need more help.

Seeming: It's still not clear how the heck i'm supposed to be able to fly and fit through tiny cracks by dint of illusion magic for Seeming

Feycraft: There are plenty of potential uses of faecraft but its unreliable and specifcally states that you get a save every tiime the object is interacted with. By anyone, meaning that it's almost always going to be partially real within three touches, less if we're talking about level appropriate situations. Mostly useless for armour, weapons, trade-ables, tools, climbing equipment, shelter etc.

If you want to see about 5 examples of "stick to sword, straw to gold, poo to lollypop" transmutation, check out Grimm's Fairytales, available free on Kindle. Except the poo one, that's a Tibetan folk story about a mischievous yogin named Uncle Tompa.

Seelie Soldier: The seelie soldier thing...I suppose the familiar transmute is fairly useful but the wording of the feat is confusing, messy and heck, refers to a second option that's not even there. Still needs fixing.

Seelie Skin: I actually mean that the trait seemed like it would have made more sense as part of Fey Heritage. Not common outside of North Europe, mind.

Fey Dominion:
    That's sort of the point. Also, Fey aren't just charming. Many pretty much enslave mortals with their powers. Call it the Dark side of the fey.
    Yes...but that's a feature of nobles, which you've referenced having their own chain of feats and you've lumped it in with being charming, hence why there's a disconnect.

Not sure what you mean by Pass Without Trace is missing, but there's a reason for the lack of fey plant-love in here. For the most part, I based these feats mostly off of the most common traits of the Fey in general. Not all, or even most of the Fey out there are necessarily plant-lovers or even remotely plant-affiliated.
    Trouping fairies, the more "good" aligned ones, tend towards not leaving any trace of their passage [unlike, say, giants], despite moving in large groups. The fact that no feat grants this most fairy-ish of traits seems like an oversight, considering how strong the charm line is [stronger by far than the illusion]

There's something called a Bluff skill. It's used for lying. Which they get a boost to, with this feat chain.
    By the same logic, there is also the Diplomacy skill, making Charm Person unnecessary as there is a tasty boost to that from the above chain. Suggestion is able to cause you to act on something; no matter how nice that pool of acid/gently bubbling hot spring looks to your convinced victim, you're not going to convince them to take a dip in combat or without undressing...

Miscellany:

Border Goblins are one of the four type of goblin you'll find reference to in folklore books. They live in the border region between Scotland and England and are armed with black iron boots and iron lances. Redcap was one.

The fae thing is because it's the spelling used in most textbooks and references to fairies in medieval latin [see The Faerie Queen] and is a habit i've retained from Fae-o-matic.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Fey Heritage: My issue is that you gain advantage on these things regardless of what fey you are related to, which makes little sense. Usually the critters are good at one or two things only, unless they're nobles or queens or something. Plus, Use Magic Device, Use Psionic Device and Iaijutsu Focus hardly need more help.
    ...Yeah, thinking I should just limit it to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate, although UMD would fit in, if limited to items with illusion and enchantment effects.
    Seeming: It's still not clear how the heck i'm supposed to be able to fly and fit through tiny cracks by dint of illusion magic for Seeming
    You don't!
    Feycraft: There are plenty of potential uses of faecraft but its unreliable and specifcally states that you get a save every tiime the object is interacted with. By anyone, meaning that it's almost always going to be partially real within three touches, less if we're talking about level appropriate situations. Mostly useless for armour, weapons, trade-ables, tools, climbing equipment, shelter etc.
    Maybe the check should just be limited to the first time.
    Seelie Soldier: The seelie soldier thing...I suppose the familiar transmute is fairly useful but the wording of the feat is confusing, messy and heck, refers to a second option that's not even there. Still needs fixing.
    Oh, yeah. Originally was going to include a second option to boost allies.
    Seelie Skin: I actually mean that the trait seemed like it would have made more sense as part of Fey Heritage. Not common outside of North Europe, mind.
    Not cold iron specifically, but there's a lot of fey who are repelled by metals of some sort that I decided to include it.
    Fey Dominion:

Yes...but that's a feature of nobles, which you've referenced having their own chain of feats and you've lumped it in with being charming, hence why there's a disconnect.
    ....There's way more than just nobles that are charming.
    By the same logic, there is also the Diplomacy skill, making Charm Person unnecessary as there is a tasty boost to that from the above chain. Suggestion is able to cause you to act on something; no matter how nice that pool of acid/gently bubbling hot spring looks to your convinced victim, you're not going to convince them to take a dip in combat or without undressing...
    Doesn't really sound Feyish to try to enchant their enemy into a vat of acid. At best, they'd cloak it in illusion.
    Miscellany:

Border Goblins are one of the four type of goblin you'll find reference to in folklore books. They live in the border region between Scotland and England and are armed with black iron boots and iron lances. Redcap was one.
    Interesting. What game effect do you think it'd have?
    The fae thing is because it's the spelling used in most textbooks and references to fairies in medieval latin [see The Faerie Queen] and is a habit i've retained from Fae-o-matic.
    I've read a lot of texts and most that I've seen say Fey. Which is why I decided to use that spelling.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    ...Yeah, thinking I should just limit it to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate, although UMD would fit in, if limited to items with illusion and enchantment effects.
    That would be an unusual proviso.
    You don't!
    You do according to the feat as it is written. That's what i'm reviewing.

You know a deeper level of illusions than most mortals know. You may, as a standard action, turn into any creature with HD equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats as though through the Polymorph spell, except you do not regain hit points when transforming, and it is treated as a spell of the Illusion school with the Glamer descriptor.

The Polymorph spell grants you the extraordinary abilities and stats of your new form. This is basically true in Pathfinder too. Hence, you'd be whatever new size you adopted [Fine] and able to Fly, Burrow or Climb with the same basic gifts.
    Maybe the check should just be limited to the first time.
    Probably. Or not at all. It doesn't seem all that abusable to me unless you're never planning on returning to a city again...who's going to trade with someone who's known for trading in fairy gold or selling glammered rags?
    Oh, yeah. Originally was going to include a second option to boost allies.
    I'll assume that the reference is edited out then. Also, you're gonna want to link in to Shadow Conjuration as being 25% real isn't an intuitive phrase. Could be to hit modifiers and all sorts...
    Not cold iron specifically, but there's a lot of fey who are repelled by metals of some sort that I decided to include it.
    Might be interesting to offer a choice. Iron is northern Europe but there are American creatures that are vulnerable to stone, Chinese things are usually vulnerable to wood of some type, Japanese ones are driven off with paper whips, etc
    ....There's way more than just nobles that are charming.
    yes, but i've not seen domination or consuption of all free will by anything that wouldn't be "noble" if you choose to apply the whole "courts" redaction to fey creatures.

At no point did I say that only nobles were charming, quite the contrary.
    Doesn't really sound Feyish to try to enchant their enemy into a vat of acid. At best, they'd cloak it in illusion.
    It's a basic example, from the PHB, in fact.

It certainly does seem fairy like to lure people off cliffs, into bogs, into fires etc. Easiest to achieve with Suggestion if you wish to stick with core.
    Interesting. What game effect do you think it'd have?
    Permanent items? Better ability to wound other fey? Not disbelievable as long as it's iron [if you want to keep that in]

I've read a lot of texts and most that I've seen say Fey. Which is why I decided to use that spelling.
    I used to call then fairies but people kept wanting to know why i was studying homosexuals. Most of my books are fairly old, which may explain it. The pages i photocopied from Briggs used fairy and fae interchangably.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-09-18 at 07:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

That would be an unusual proviso.
    But that's what makes it all the more fun.
    You do according to the feat as it is written. That's what i'm reviewing.

You know a deeper level of illusions than most mortals know. You may, as a standard action, turn into any creature with HD equal to 1/2 the number of Fey feats as though through the Polymorph spell, except you do not regain hit points when transforming, and it is treated as a spell of the Illusion school with the Glamer descriptor.

The Polymorph spell grants you the extraordinary abilities and stats of your new form. This is basically true in Pathfinder too. Hence, you'd be whatever new size you adopted [Fine] and able to Fly, Burrow or Climb with the same basic gifts.
    That's true. It's a sketchy line. The idea is that you're fooling people, and sort of reality itself in a way into thinking a creature is what it isn't.
    Might be interesting to offer a choice. Iron is northern Europe but there are American creatures that are vulnerable to stone, Chinese things are usually vulnerable to wood of some type, Japanese ones are driven off with paper whips, etc
    That'd be more of a houseruled thing, I'd imagine.
    yes, but i've not seen domination or consuption of all free will by anything that wouldn't be "noble" if you choose to apply the whole "courts" redaction to fey creatures.
    I have.
    At no point did I say that only nobles were charming, quite the contrary.
    It's a basic example, from the PHB, in fact.

It certainly does seem fairy like to lure people off cliffs, into bogs, into fires etc. Easiest to achieve with Suggestion if you wish to stick with core.
    The point is not doing it. Luring tends to be done more with illusions than enhantment.
    Permanent items? Better ability to wound other fey? Not disbelievable as long as it's iron [if you want to keep that in]
    How about it just allows the creature to manipulate iron objects and change their material to Black Iron, which acts as Cold Iron for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction, plus acts as a Bane weapon towards Fey?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

But that's what makes it all the more fun.
    True enough.
    That's true. It's a sketchy line. The idea is that you're fooling people, and sort of reality itself in a way into thinking a creature is what it isn't.
    Probably still better to rewrite the feat so that your actual intentions are clear. There is the Seeming spell, which is pretty underwhelming for its level, and that does basically what you're sugesting here. Maybe reference that.
    That'd be more of a houseruled thing, I'd imagine.
    Fair.
    I have.
    Ok, colour me intruiged. I'd like to read these tales. Only ones i can think of are Queens, Knights, Dryads and Baba Yaga and i'm always interested in widening my sourcs.
    The point is not doing it. Luring tends to be done more with illusions than enhantment.
    I'll agree to disagree. mechanical level thing.
    How about it just allows the creature to manipulate iron objects and change their material to Black Iron, which acts as Cold Iron for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction, plus acts as a Bane weapon towards Fey?
    There is a lot of lore [not necessarily fey related] for people with contaminated blood using their nature to hunt that which bore them. Manga loves this too...as does pretty much every other kind of fiction.

Hell yes, roll with that.

"You brought me into this world a changeling, mother, hated and despised. And then you ABANDONED ME! Prepare to die!"

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Probably still better to rewrite the feat so that your actual intentions are clear. There is the Seeming spell, which is pretty underwhelming for its level, and that does basically what you're sugesting here. Maybe reference that.
    What is the Seeming spell? Never heard of it.
    Ok, colour me intruiged. I'd like to read these tales. Only ones i can think of are Queens, Knights, Dryads and Baba Yaga and i'm always interested in widening my sourcs.
    There's always a non-noble fey's beauty and similar examples, and many enslave a mortal's attentions or will for a short time to accomplish their aims, like the kelpie.
    There is a lot of lore [not necessarily fey related] for people with contaminated blood using their nature to hunt that which bore them. Manga loves this too...as does pretty much every other kind of fiction.

Hell yes, roll with that.

"You brought me into this world a changeling, mother, hated and despised. And then you ABANDONED ME! Prepare to die!"
    Here's how I'm thinking that'd go:

Black Iron Adept[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Benefit: You are descended from a Border Goblin, wielders and shapers of the material known as Black Iron. As a standard action, you may change the composition of any item made of iron in your possession into Black Iron for the rest of the encounter. This material acts as Cold Iron for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, and also acts as a Bane(Fey) weapon. Any Fey creature without the [Goblinoid] subtype that comes into physical contact(such as through a touch attack against a creature with Black Iron Armor) with a Black Iron object(aside from a weapon) is automatically dealt 2d6 damage as though through a touch attack, and that bypasses damage reduction as though it were a weapon made from Cold Iron. Any Feycraft item you make may be treated as though it were made of Black Iron, so long as the original object was made of iron. By expending 1 FP, you may treat all creatures as Fey for the purpose of being affected by Black Iron for a number of rounds equal to the number of Fey feats you have.

How's that?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the Seeming spell? Never heard of it.
    Seeming is basically Disguise Self but for a bunch of other people. Veil is the more adaptable version, which would actually allow you to seem to be a bug.
    There's always a non-noble fey's beauty and similar examples, and many enslave a mortal's attentions or will for a short time to accomplish their aims, like the kelpie.
    That sounds like Fascination rather than Domination. I've never heard of kelpie doing anything like that. Their MO is to look like something tempting, usually a nice horse, stick to you when you touch it and then drag you off and drown you.
    Here's how I'm thinking that'd go:

Black Iron Adept[Fey]
    Prerequisites:
    Benefit: You are descended from a Border Goblin, wielders and shapers of the material known as Black Iron. As a standard action, you may change the composition of any item made of iron in your possession into Black Iron for the rest of the encounter. This material acts as Cold Iron for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, and also acts as a Bane(Fey) weapon. Any Fey creature without the [Goblinoid] subtype that comes into physical contact(such as through a touch attack against a creature with Black Iron Armor) with a Black Iron object(aside from a weapon) is automatically dealt 2d6 damage as though through a touch attack, and that bypasses damage reduction as though it were a weapon made from Cold Iron. Any Feycraft item you make may be treated as though it were made of Black Iron, so long as the original object was made of iron. By expending 1 FP, you may treat all creatures as Fey for the purpose of being affected by Black Iron for a number of rounds equal to the number of Fey feats you have.

How's that?
    That's pretty good. Assuming dunters have this ability, they're much more dangerous than WotC's pitiful attempts at redcaps.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Seeming is basically Disguise Self but for a bunch of other people. Veil is the more adaptable version, which would actually allow you to seem to be a bug.
    Eh, I'm looking for an illusory effect that acts as a pseudo-transformation spell.
    That sounds like Fascination rather than Domination. I've never heard of kelpie doing anything like that. Their MO is to look like something tempting, usually a nice horse, stick to you when you touch it and then drag you off and drown you.
    It's a bit beyond Fascination, but less than true Domination. Still, there's others.

That's pretty good. Assuming dunters have this ability, they're much more dangerous than WotC's pitiful attempts at redcaps.
    What's a dunter?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes: