Spellcraft DC: 174
    Components: V, S, F, XP
    Casting Time: 10 hours, 20 minutes
    Range: Touch
    Target: One Crystal at least 150ft. in diameter
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

To Develop: 1,566,000gp; 32 days; 62,640xp. Seeds: Transform (22 DC), Conjure (21 DC). Factors: Create a Mythallar (Ad-hoc +50 DC), Change Range to touch (+4 DC), Increase hardness by 50 (+25 DC), Allow creation of magical items without XP cost (Ad-hoc +25 DC), Increase area of Mythallar (+65 DC), Mythallar functionality is permanent (x5 DC). Mitigating Factors: increase casting time (10 min)(DC – 20), increase casting time (10 hours) (DC – 20), Requires Craft Artifacts (Ad-hoc -20), Burn 1 ability point from all the casters ability scores (-30 DC), Created magical items only function within range of Mythallar (Ad-hoc -20 DC), Burn 10,000xp (- 100 DC), Arcane Focus (Nonmagical Crystal Ball) (x1/5 DC).

It is unknown how Ioulaum originally created his Mythallar some believe that Mystryl sent the visions of its design down to him as he slept one dark night while others believe that Ioulaum managed to attain a level of divinity and that his divine power allowed him to create this item. The origin of this creation process is still up to speculated to this very day...

The long arduous casting of this spell can only be performed by a caster with the knowledge of the creation of artifacts and even then the processes is an incredibly difficult task which requires the caster to force a tiny piece of his arcane powers into the soon to be Mythallar. The resulting arcane power in addition to some of the casters own essence is then forced into a large blank crystal ball of atleast 150ft. in diameter. The end results of this process creates a Mythallar.

Arcane Focus: One Crystal at least 150ft. in diameter

Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Removed Material component
    • Arcane Focus now makes sense
    • Re-discovered old homebrewed Mitigating factors from WoTC Forum

Homebrewed Mitigating Factors
      Spoiler
      Show

{table=head]Mitigating Factors|DC Adjustment

+5 days to research time|
      ||

Arcane Focus|
      x1/5
      |

Expensive Material Component|
      -1 per 2,500gp
      |

Lose ability to cast spells|
      -10 per day
      |

Lose a level1|
      -20 for each level
      |

Attuning self to weave|
      -2 every 1 days
      |

Reduce duration from permanent|
      x 1/3
      |

Caster Ages rapidly 1d10 years|
      -10 every additional 1d10 years
      |

1 hour to casting time2|
      -2 for each hour (Max 10 hours)
      |

Caster(s) must concentrate|
      -6 per caster (Concentration DC set by Spellcraft DC)
      |

Non-Ritual participants supplying XP (Max 20,000xp) 3 |
      -1 per 100xp
      |

Caster loses 1 ability score1|
      -5 per permanent ability damage
      |
      [/table]

{table=head]Note: Mitigating factors are always applied after all epic spell factors (see above) are accounted for in the development of an epic spell.

1. Caster cannot make himself immune to this effect. If the caster dies then nothing, not even an epic spell using the life seed can resurrect him, he is irrevocably dead. The ability damage cannot be healed except by the interventions of a deity.
      2. When increasing the casting time of a spell in order to reduce the Spellcraft DC, a character must first “use up” the maximum of 10 minutes (for a total DC modifier of -20). After that, a character can continue to add hours to the casting time, with a further modifier of -2 per hour, up to the maximum of 10 hours.
      3. When decreasing the DC using this factor you must first reduce it by burning 20,000xp and then you can start draining XP from external, non-ritual sources. This Mitigating Factor is only available during a Ritual.

[/table]

*Tiredly breathing* It may have taken me about 6 months to figure out but eventually I think I might have gotten it... I started this quest to craft a spell that managed to create the single most powerful magical item I've ever heard of in my entire life... I originally heard of this spell while reading old WoTC threads, post, and other notes... but damn the sheer difficulty in re-creating such a spell was just... amazing... I'd like to believe I hit the nail on the head but I'll leave that for the playground to decide

I'm usually afraid of judgement but for now? I actually want my product to be judged so comments and opinions if you will? please?

as a note: I used some (A LOT) of liberties for this spells production so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll edit the OP to answer your questions

Former Design [Currently scraped]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ioulaum's Imbue Mythallar

Evocation/Transmutation/Conjuration [Netherese]
    Spellcraft DC: 190
    Components: V, S, M, F
    Casting Time: 20 days, 10 hours, 20 minutes
    Target: One Crystal at least 150ft. in diameter

To Develop: 2,160,000gp; 44 days; 86,400xp. Seeds: Transform (22 DC), Mythal (25 DC), Conjure (21 DC). Factors: Create a Mythallar (Ad-hoc +50 DC), Change Range to touch (+4 DC), Increase hardness by 50 (+25 DC), Allow creation of magical items without XP cost (Ad-hoc +25 DC), Create 150ft. diameter Crystal ball (+65 DC), Mythallar functionality is permanent (x5 DC).Mitigating Factors: increase casting time (10 min)(DC – 20), increase casting time (10 hours) (DC – 20), increase casting time (20 days)(DC – 40), Requires ability to craft artifacts (Ad-hoc -20), Burn 3 ability points from all the casters ability scores (Ad-Hoc -15), Created magical items only function within range of Mythallar (Ad-hoc -20 DC), Expensive Material component (+450,000gp to development cost) (- 100 DC), Arcane Focus (The Weave) (x1/5 DC).

It is unknown how Ioulaum originally created his Mythallar some believe that Mystryl sent the visions of its design down to him as he slept one dark night while others believe that Ioulaum managed to attain a level of divinity and that his divine power allowed him to create this item. The origin of this creation process is still up to speculated to this very day...

The long arduous casting of this spell can only be performed by a caster with the knowledge of the creation of artifacts and even then the processes is an incredibly difficult task which requires the caster to deeply channel The Weaves power. The resulting arcane power in addition to some of the casters own essence is then forced into a large blank crystal ball of atleast 150ft. in diameter. The end results of this process creates a Mythallar.

Arcane Material Component: One Crystal at least 150ft. in diameter
    Arcane Focus: The Caster channeling the power of the Weave
    Last edited by Calanon; 2012-05-07 at 08:18 PM.
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ioulaum's Imbue Mythallar [Reverse Engineered]

That is one groovy spell. I am putting that on my Homebrew Request list for all future epic games

And IIRC mythallars can also be used to keep cities afloat, maybe put some rules in for that too?
    Extended Hombrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Apart for seeming to be more rules ninjaing than home-brew per-say, I'm still a bit sketchy on this spell does mechanically.

However I believe one can make cities fly with the stronghold building rules and the flying part is a "magic item" thus you could make a city fly that way also plane shift and other funky stuff.

Still a full write up of what it does and maybe the actual range would be nice.

Also it's not to hard for a lvl 21 char to hit a DCD in the 250s (I believe) with magic items and prep, so this spell could easily be made with a chunk of the ad-hoc modifiers dropped and still be doable...
    Last edited by Dumorimasoddaa; 2012-05-06 at 08:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Nooooo WotC actually fleshed out the spell to create these. I'm going to start hunting through my books so I can give you the actual stats on it.

Before I go do that, I do want to make some comments on the balance of this spell.

First off, having Arcane Focus (The Weave) it wholly inappropriate. Especially to give it that much of a discount! The Mythallars were first developed by the elves, who don't tap that weave at all. Beyond that, it's everywhere. The only way you wouldn't be able to use it is if Mystra had personally barred you from arcane magic. There shouldn't be a discount at all for a universal constant. It would be like saying you got a discount while casting where there was gravity.

Second, saying that the caster must know how to create Artifacts is self-defeating, and inappropriate. If you wanted something in the realm of plot devices, there's no real need to stat this. If you want it to be fleshed out, it has to be usable by PCs. Artifacts shouldn't enter the picture, though the end result of an epic level spell could be considered such if you took a loose view of the definition, such as by ignoring the part where it says that their methods of construction are lost unto time and madness. (My words, not theirs, their idea though.)

Lastly, I would say that you need to include the factor for the mythallar's range in the spell. Unless you're saying you have to be within the crystal/part of it, then it has to have some sort of broadcast range, which would be included in the casting.

Off to find that spell, be back in a few.

Edit: Also, there is a different spell to make the floating cities. Related: This spell shouldn't be Nertherese. Elves=Mythallars Nertherese=Floating Cities

I'll grab that spell as well.

Edit 2
    My memory held out for me and I found the notes right away. The book is Lost Empires of Faerun, the page is 43. That's where they start talking about epic magic. As it's a book that is for sale theoretically I'm not going to spill all of the stats here, but here are some selections from their extensive section on Mythallars.

Epic Spell Seed: Mythal
    Evocation
    Spellcraft DC: 25
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 10 min
    Range: 30ft
    Area: 100ft radius emanation

You create a persistent magical field centered on the point you choose. You (or other casters cooperating with you) can then cast a number of other spells into this field, thereby either granting or denying access to them to creatures within the field. Effects you can include in your mythal fall into four categories: prevalent spells (always active), arointed spells (always denied to those within the field), vanguard spells (available on demand to those within the field), and prevalent powers (persistent effects that do not map to any particular spell). Your mythal can include up to one effect per caster level, but each component spell you cast into it affects the Spellcraft DC of your raise mythal spell (see Mythals, [pg 45]).
    Once raised, a mythal cannot be dispelled, disjoined, or suppressed by any nonepic spell. A character attempting to dispel your mythal with an epic spell (such as superb dispelling) must succeed on a caster level check (DC 21 + your caster level) to succeed. An antimagic field supresses the portion of the mythal that it overlaps but otherwise does it no harm.

So there's that. The rules go on to explain each Mythal is a unique formulated epic level spell which must be researched with all powers and spells included. They also map the prevalent powers (such as the discount) to minor (spell level 1-3) moderate (4-6) and major (7-9) so the free crafting would be major, likely. Here are their tables, sans formatting because I don't actually know how to do that. For this first table, you add up all the factors, then divide by 1,000, then add that to the Spellcraft DC.

Component: Cost [Table 2-9]
    Prevalent spell base cost: Spell level x caster level x 100
    Duration in Rounds: Base cost x 4
    Duration in minutes: Base cost x 2
    Duration in 10 minutes: Base cost x 1.5
    Renewable: Base cost x 1/2
    Arointed spell: Spell level x caster level x 100
    Arointed descriptor or subschool: 15,000
    Arointed school: 20,000
    Vanguard spell, at will: Spell level x caster level x 100
    Vanguard spell, 3/day: Spell level x caster level x 50
    Vanguard spell, 1/day: spell level x caster level x 25
    Prevalent power, minor: 5,000
    Prevalent power, medium: 20,000
    Prevalent power, major: 50,000
    Modifiers to component cost
    Keyed power: Component cost x2
    Spell trigger only: 1/2 component cost
    Limited area: 1/2 component cost

Special Mitigating Factors for Mythals [Table 2-10]
    Mitigating Factor: Cost Adjustment
    Caster dies (no resurrection possible) : -50
    Capstone [a physical component] : -20
    Corruptible (weakens over time) : x3/4
    Anchored: x 3/4

So there's those. Not sure where the floating city spell is, but I know I've seen it.
    Last edited by Pennance; 2012-05-06 at 09:56 AM.
    Friends don't let friends calcify. Share a pennant today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pennance View Post
    Nooooo WotC actually fleshed out the spell to create these. I'm going to start hunting through my books so I can give you the actual stats on it.

Before I go do that, I do want to make some comments on the balance of this spell.

First off, having Arcane Focus (The Weave) it wholly inappropriate. Especially to give it that much of a discount! The Mythallars were first developed by the elves, who don't tap that weave at all. Beyond that, it's everywhere. The only way you wouldn't be able to use it is if Mystra had personally barred you from arcane magic. There shouldn't be a discount at all for a universal constant. It would be like saying you got a discount while casting where there was gravity.

Second, saying that the caster must know how to create Artifacts is self-defeating, and inappropriate. If you wanted something in the realm of plot devices, there's no real need to stat this. If you want it to be fleshed out, it has to be usable by PCs. Artifacts shouldn't enter the picture, though the end result of an epic level spell could be considered such if you took a loose view of the definition, such as by ignoring the part where it says that their methods of construction are lost unto time and madness. (My words, not theirs, their idea though.)

Lastly, I would say that you need to include the factor for the mythallar's range in the spell. Unless you're saying you have to be within the crystal/part of it, then it has to have some sort of broadcast range, which would be included in the casting.

Off to find that spell, be back in a few.

Edit: Also, there is a different spell to make the floating cities. Related: This spell shouldn't be Nertherese. Elves=Mythallars Nertherese=Floating Cities

I'll grab that spell as well.
    You are confusing Mythals and Mythallars. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mythallar

The Mythallars are the magic orbs that made the flying cities work. They boradcast for about a mile. Though I agree on the wave statement it either need more fleshing out or to be droped, as all magic works on the weave bar shadow magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

...Hm. I am surprised. Even so, there was a spell presented for the floating cities that was prebuilt and of epic level, though "all" it does is shear the top of a mountain off, invert it, and make it float. So that you have a place to make your city. Atop the floating spire of earth that used to be a mountain top. Makes me wonder why there aren't flat-topped mountains all over Faerun.

Aaaand found it too. Pg 137 of the Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Proctive's Move Mountain
    Transmuation (Netherese)
    Spellcraft DC: 280
    Components: C, S, XP
    Casting Time: 1 Day
    Range: 1 mile
    Target: Mountain (rough cone of earth 1 mile tall and 1 mile in radius at the base)
    Spell Resistance: no
    Development: 2,520,000gp; 51 days; 1000,800 XP. Seeds: transform (DC 21), transport (to move mountain into the air, DC 27). Factors: Increase range (+34 DC), hardness of stone (+4 DC), make transport permanent (x5 DC), increase casting time (-20 DC), burn 5,000 XP (-50 DC).

You shear off the top of a mountain, levitate it into the air, and invert it, creating a floating mass of earth with a smooth surface suitable for construction. The ancient archwizards of Netheril used this spell to create their famous floating enclaves. You control the movement, both vertical and horizontal, of the floating mountain. XP Cost: 5,000

So that looks like it covers that. Ignoring the overlap in use, this is a good guide for effect. Making something permanent has a x5 DC tag.
    Last edited by Pennance; 2012-05-06 at 10:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Shouldn't it be:

Target: One Crystal at least 150 feet in diameter

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dumorimasoddaa View Post
    Also it's not to hard for a lvl 21 char to hit a DCD in the 250s (I believe) with magic items and prep, so this spell could easily be made with a chunk of the ad-hoc modifiers dropped and still be doable...
    Which ad-hocs do you recommend I remove?

...Hm. I am surprised. Even so, there was a spell presented for the floating cities that was prebuilt and of epic level, though "all" it does is shear the top of a mountain off, invert it, and make it float. So that you have a place to make your city. Atop the floating spire of earth that used to be a mountain top. Makes me wonder why there aren't flat-topped mountains all over Faerun.
    This is why faerun isn't covered in floating enclaves

Aaaand found it too. Pg 137 of the Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proctiv's Move Mountain
    Transmutation (Netherese)
    Spellcraft DC: 280
    Components: C, S, XP
    Casting Time: 1 Day
    Range: 1 mile
    Target: Mountain (rough cone of earth 1 mile tall and 1 mile in radius at the base)
    Spell Resistance: no
    Development: 2,520,000gp; 51 days; 1000,800 XP. Seeds: transform (DC 21), transport (to move mountain into the air, DC 27). Factors: Increase range (+34 DC), hardness of stone (+4 DC), make transport permanent (x5 DC), increase casting time (-20 DC), burn 5,000 XP (-50 DC).

You shear off the top of a mountain, levitate it into the air, and invert it, creating a floating mass of earth with a smooth surface suitable for construction. The ancient archwizards of Netheril used this spell to create their famous floating enclaves. You control the movement, both vertical and horizontal, of the floating mountain. XP Cost: 5,000

So that looks like it covers that. Ignoring the overlap in use, this is a good guide for effect. Making something permanent has a x5 DC tag.
    Actually Proctiv's Move mountain as described in the Player's guide to Faerun has an incorrect DC (The Accurate DC is 360) this is due to the fact that the epic spell has the Permanent modifier applied after the mitigating factors are applied Gotta love that Erreta to the ELH

as described in the Netheril: Empire of Magic set, the original Proctiv's Move Mountain required a Mythallar as a material component (as with Mavin's Create Volcano... definitely want to cast that in a campaign one day...) the reason for this was that the Mythallar was required to keep the spell active (otherwise the enclave would fall within the next 2 weeks, when the spell would give out)

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Shouldn't it be:

Target: One Crystal at least 150 feet in diameter

Debby
    True facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    That is one groovy spell. I am putting that on my Homebrew Request list for all future epic games

And IIRC mythallars can also be used to keep cities afloat, maybe put some rules in for that too?
    See Netheril: Empire of Magic (Encyclopedia Arcana p.11)

Spoiler
    Show
    As of yet, there has been no connection between the Mythal and the Mythallar established as canon so I'll just say that now.

Its... Its an epic spell that creates an Artifact... Did you really expect balance?

First off, having Arcane Focus (The Weave) it wholly inappropriate. Especially to give it that much of a discount! The Mythallars were first developed by the elves, who don't tap that weave at all. Beyond that, it's everywhere. The only way you wouldn't be able to use it is if Mystra Mystryl had personally barred you from arcane magic. There shouldn't be a discount at all for a universal constant. It would be like saying you got a discount while casting where there was gravity.
    The Elves did NOT create the Mythallar, they created the Mythals (However some theories believe that Ioulaum had the notes for the Mythal stolen so it can be integrated with his designs for a Mythallar, but this is very much so up for debate) Essentially I stated that Channeling the weave is where the cost for burning 3 points from all of your ability scores as the results of channeling the raw powers of the weave. Simply casting a fireball isn't channeling the weave, it is using it however but certainly not channeling. Truly channeling the weave can require weeks and weeks of meditating and attuning yourself to it in an attempt to tap into its raw power (very much like Elven High Magic), normally such a strong concentration of magic would destroy a mortal unless they are able to force it into something (such as a Crystal ball). Effectively the Mythallar is a crystal ball that bounces off energy around (very similar to Tony Stark's Arc Reactor)

Someone hasn't examined the Nether Scrolls (LEoF P.156) The Mythallar is a minor artifact, the knowledge of its creation isn't so much lost as it is hard to obtain. For example: If you were around in the Golden Age of Netheril then creating a Mythallar would be very much like creating a wondrous item while if you were trying to create one after fall of Netheril it would be nigh impossible. This is due to the fact that during the Golden Age the process of creating a Mythallar could literally be picked up at your local library while after the Fall of Netheril you would have to go on an Epic level adventure just to get a chance to even touch the scrolls with the information on its creation and if you even get to read it there is a chance it might not even work, so its simply about ease of access really.

This spell was never meant to be cast after the Fall of Netheril anyway (and it couldn't anyway, due to the whole: Mystra's ban). I'm trying to convert some stuff from Netheril: Empire of Magic (2nd Edition book) to 3.5 and making a creation process for a Mythallar makes it so much easier (since when you hear of the "Netherese" you think of 3 things: Floating Cities, Mythallars and Karsus's Avatar)

After the fall of Netheril the only way to obtain a Mythallar was:

1. DM's fiat
    2. Time travel
    3. repairing a broken one

The last one was legitimately the easiest one Otherwise the Shadovar would have just traveled back in time and prevented Karsus from casting his Avatar spell thus preventing the fall of Netheril (But Karsus was a stubborn man so that might be up for debate on if that would change history)

Actually the spell is for the creation of the Mythallar in general. The Mythallar itself provides its own effects (Extend out magical power out to a mile). simple as that and I believe that touch a mythallar is a very lethal decision (Disintegrating you with no save)

Also, there is a different spell to make the floating cities. Related: This spell shouldn't be Nertherese. Elves=Mythallars Nertherese=Floating Cities Enclaves
    ...Umm... both of those things belong to the Netherese
    Last edited by Calanon; 2012-05-06 at 02:17 PM.

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

The DC of the Move Mountain spell isn't really what I was pointing at. You're obviously capable of adding up all the factors. I was just pointing out that you were doing the duration oddly.

Also, I am aware of that event you linked, what I am commenting on is not that there are not still floating cities, but that the materials for such were smoothly sheared from mountaintops. So theoretically, folly or not, there should be a bunch of poor butchered mountains. That's the joke I was trying to make.

10. - Top - End - #10

The DC of the Move Mountain spell isn't really what I was pointing at. You're obviously capable of adding up all the factors. I was just pointing out that you were doing the duration oddly.
    Honestly? The duration of this spell should be instantaneous (Since it is bringing something into existence) Hmm... I suppose that could work thanks for the advice.

Also, I am aware of that event you linked, what I am commenting on is not that there are not still floating cities, but that the materials for such were smoothly sheared from mountaintops. So theoretically, folly or not, there should be a bunch of poor butchered mountains. That's the joke I was trying to make.
    You clearly didnt read where it said that the sharn took care of that

Quote Originally Posted by 1st sentence of the link i sent you
    After decades of war with the Phaerimm, the homeland of Netheril was quickly becoming a wasteland. Partly because of the strange help the Netheril got from the Sharn. The spells of the sharn altered the very geography of the land when it came in contact with the phaerimm’s magic drain and life drain spells, transforming mountains into rolling hills or increasing the spread of the desert.
    Meaning the butchered mountains were eventually flattened/rounded out into smaller hills or just removed all together ...Anyone ever notice how the realm always manages to clean itself up after a great catastrophe?

EDIT: After having a break through on the discovery of old homebrewed Epic Spell mitigating factors from the WoTC boards. I've decided to revise this spell to make it more accurate (I even found rules for burning ability scores, attuning yourself to the weave, and even losing the ability to cast spells all together ) I'll post the revamped version tomorrow, as it is 3 in the morning for me I think its time to get some sleep.
    Last edited by Calanon; 2012-05-07 at 04:21 AM.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

did you ever finish that spell? i am very interested in seeing the finished version, plus, any chance of reposting that list of epic dcs?
    Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshyo ka?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    did you ever finish that spell? i am very interested in seeing the finished version, plus, any chance of reposting that list of epic dcs?
    I completed the spell months ago, but I refused to publish it for the sake of comfort. I considered that perhaps I might be wrong in my design for it... I discovered that not all Mythallars are designed equally, more specifically the Shade Mythallar (which creates a Darkness around the city) and the Sakkors Mythallar (which makes the Mythallar sentient and allow for the flow of magic throughout the Enclave).

I'll put my updated notes for the spell just for the sake of completeness here.

Spoiler
    Show

Evocation
    Spellcraft DC: 42
    Components: V, S, XP
    Casting Time: 50 days, 20 minutes (8/day)
    Range: 30ft.
    Area: 1 mile diameter (5280ft.)

To Develop: 423,000gp; 9 days; 16,920xp, Seeds: Mythal (DC 25), Factors: Major Prevolent Power: Items created under Mythal's effects have no XP cost, but function only within its bounds (50,000gp) (+50 DC), Increase area by 5,180% (+207 DC), Mitigating Factors: Capstone (-20 DC), +10 minute casting time (-20 DC), +100 day casting time (-200 DC)

The act of casting this spell resembles more along the lines of Item creation rather then actual spellcasting. Its function was a simple one—it converted raw magic from the Weave and sent that power throughout an enclave to provide the magical energies required for the continued operation of quasimagical items. Every enclave contained at least one mythallar-especially since the mythallar was absolutely necessary to keep the city afloat.

The mythallar had an effective range of one mile. Therefore, if an enclave was larger than one mile in diameter, it had to have more than one mythallar.

When a quasimagical device was within the effect of the mythallar, it gained the ability to use the magical powers that had been imbued into it. Outside the area‚ quasimagical devices ceased to function as magical devices.

After reading through this new write up, it's a little troubling how strange it was... Hmm... I need more time to think on how the Epic spell would actually work, baring the need for such a high DC... Might remove that to make it more accurate in it's difficulty in casting.

EDIT: Made it more accurate and I believe that is all she wrote my friend
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-03-22 at 04:52 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something you forgot to list, and you were off on the calculation of the final DC by just a little bit.

Spoiler
    Show

Evocation

To Develop: 423,000gp; 9 days; 16,920xp, Seeds: Mythal (DC 25), Factors: Major Prevolent Power: Items created under Mythal's effects have no XP cost, but function only within its bounds (50,000gp) (+50 DC), Increase area by 5,180% (+207 DC), Mitigating Factors: Capstone (-20 DC), +10 minute casting time (-20 DC), +100 day casting time (-200 DC)

The act of casting this spell resembles more along the lines of Item creation rather then actual spellcasting. Its function was a simple one—it converted raw magic from the Weave and sent that power throughout an enclave to provide the magical energies required for the continued operation of quasimagical items. Every enclave contained at least one mythallar-especially since the mythallar was absolutely necessary to keep the city afloat.

The mythallar had an effective range of one mile. Therefore, if an enclave was larger than one mile in diameter, it had to have more than one mythallar.

When a quasimagical device was within the effect of the mythallar, it gained the ability to use the magical powers that had been imbued into it. Outside the area‚ quasimagical devices ceased to function as magical devices.

If you want to add a prevalent spell to the mythal in the case of the shade mythallar... you could base it on this, or just cast this seperately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Skyrift
    Illusion (Shadow)
    Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
    Components: V, S, M, F, XP
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Area: One mile radius

Skyrift cloaks a large circular region with a radius of one mile in eternal night. The focal point of this region must be an obsidian stele of at least 10 feet in height carved with arcane runes by the caster. Once the spell is cast, the sun never seems to rise in the region. The affected area is either dark or lit with shadowy light, depending on the conditions outside. For example, the area has shadowy light when the sun is up on a clear day. Artificial light sources work normally within the affected area. Creatures and magical effects that rely upon night to work can function at all times in an area that a skyrift cloaks. Likewise, beings and objects that sunlight harms can exist with comfort anywhere in a skyrift at any time of day.

This spell may be cast in outdoor areas only, although its area can contain structures provided they are wholly within the area affected. Viewed from outside, a region blanketed under a skyrift seems to be dark and gloomy, as if on an overcast day late in the afternoon.

Material Component: A scepter of onyx and obsidian worth no less than 5,000 gp which must be broken upon the face of the spell's focus.

Focus: An obsidian stele. Preparing the stele takes one week and costs 2,500 gp.

XP Cost: 500 XP.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050114a
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2012-12-13 at 03:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ioulaum's Imbue Mythallar

Evocation

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    If you want to add a prevalent spell to the mythal in the case of the shade mythallar... you could base it on this, or just cast this seperately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Skyrift
    Illusion (Shadow)
    Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
    Components: V, S, M, F, XP
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Area: One mile radius

Skyrift cloaks a large circular region with a radius of one mile in eternal night. The focal point of this region must be an obsidian stele of at least 10 feet in height carved with arcane runes by the caster. Once the spell is cast, the sun never seems to rise in the region. The affected area is either dark or lit with shadowy light, depending on the conditions outside. For example, the area has shadowy light when the sun is up on a clear day. Artificial light sources work normally within the affected area. Creatures and magical effects that rely upon night to work can function at all times in an area that a skyrift cloaks. Likewise, beings and objects that sunlight harms can exist with comfort anywhere in a skyrift at any time of day.

This spell may be cast in outdoor areas only, although its area can contain structures provided they are wholly within the area affected. Viewed from outside, a region blanketed under a skyrift seems to be dark and gloomy, as if on an overcast day late in the afternoon.

Material Component: A scepter of onyx and obsidian worth no less than 5,000 gp which must be broken upon the face of the spell's focus.

Focus: An obsidian stele. Preparing the stele takes one week and costs 2,500 gp.

XP Cost: 500 XP.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050114a
    Now, I had no idea that spell had existed until now. Wondrous! I applied your corrections to the spell
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin