New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A New Kind of Roleplaying Game [HELP WANTED]

Yes, I am interested in building, quite probably from the ground up, a new roleplaying game, possibly using some OGL materials. I will need quite a bit of help with this, however, so I'll need more people!

I'll need 4-5 more designers to work on design with me.

I'll need (eventually) an artist (or more) to visually present all of the races, monsters, and to spice up the pages of the book.

I'll need someone who knows what they're doing around pdf files. This is probably never going to actually be printed on paper, so even if we do decide to distribute it in any way, someone who can put it all together in pdf files--and make the pages look all snazzy--would be awesome.

I have some baseline ideas for class systems, but I will need a lot of help with all of it. It's probably better to use OGL systems to build things, but perhaps it'll be decided along the way that it would be better not to.

Now, those of you who made it past my introduction intact, the premise is this: leveling system with freedom. What this means is while you'll chose the base class idea you want, you'll grow in strength in the areas you WANT to grow in strength in. Not just that; you'll thematically choose how you want to gain power. It's something similar to the simple class variant system in UA, taken a step farther.

So, I need help. Anyone up for helping me? (The artist and stuff is extra in case we want to make a pretty pdf, and would be nice, but I mostly need designers to help me right now. I can design well enough, but I need more than me)
    Avatar created by Wen-M of deviantart.com for a rpg called Anima. All credit for its awesomeness goes to him.

Origas of the Conflagration
    Gnaritas the Balancer
    Aenum, Keeper of Secrets, Teacher of Magic
    Athan'alik'golran'nikal'ishoth'faran'malandragos, He Who Consumes, The Consumer of All, The Devourer, Bearer of the Eternal Hunger
    Mother of Monsters, She Who Births

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A New Kind of Roleplaying Game [HELP WANTED]

I'm intrigued, but I have some questions. Are you looking to make a new game based on the d20 system, or something wholly new? Also, are you looking for something primarily fantasy oriented, or do you want to include other genres into the mix?
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

3. - Top - End - #3

Good questions. I am primarily focusing on what I know best, fantasy, but I want to leave it open to people of any tastes. I want to put rules and guides in place to build abilities, so they aren't that difficult to make for a player or GM.

However, as for whether it is d20 or not...depends on how it goes, I guess. I know d20 systems better than any other, but if it builds into something else, that doesn't devastate me.
    Avatar created by Wen-M of deviantart.com for a rpg called Anima. All credit for its awesomeness goes to him.

Gnaritas the Balancer
    Athan'alik'golran'nikal'ishoth'faran'malandragos, He Who Consumes, The Consumer of All, The Devourer, Bearer of the Eternal Hunger

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm interested. I want to get my feet wet in the realm of game design and this project would be a good start.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm down for art, if that's cool. Recently got a graphics tablet for Christmas, so uploading stuff will be a breeze.
    My wonderful Koala avatar was made by Xandar Morhaime. Thanks, Xandar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll want to focus on a skill based set up if you want a class free system. Grant skill points for deeds and let people "level" up freely when they want. Putting classes in the game or anything like that muddles the issue. The skills, what they do, matter more than the class name especially if you're letting them come up with it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    You'll want to focus on a skill based set up if you want a class free system. Grant skill points for deeds and let people "level" up freely when they want. Putting classes in the game or anything like that muddles the issue. The skills, what they do, matter more than the class name especially if you're letting them come up with it.
    I'd say it depends just how much freedom you want to give. If you want total freedom in terms of levelling, then an XP-buy or point-buy system works very well. If you want some choices to be naturally linked, though, then you probably want to have some classes, but make them more along the lines of "spend X points on a level of a class, whose features would, if bought individually, cost substantially more". (e.g. weapon mastery costs 2 points, armor mastery costs 2 points, and a combat feat costs 2 points, but you can get them all by buying a level in fighter for 4 points.)

8. - Top - End - #8

Ah, but I want a compromise between GURPS and D&D, not a GURPS ripoff. I do want the classes in the game, as a general proficiency sort of thing. I mean, you've got your general physical fighter type, your general magicker, and so on. There's still room to maneuver, easily. The thing that lets you make it your own is the abilities within the class itself.

And Shyftir, Koala, I'd be glad to have the both of you!

Gnaritas the Balancer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Overall that's definitely the right idea, but whether to go totally classless depends just how much freedom you want to give. If you want total freedom in terms of levelling, then an XP-buy or point-buy system works very well. If you want some choices to be naturally linked, though, then you probably want to have some classes, but make them more along the lines of "spend X points on a level of a class, whose features would, if bought individually, cost substantially more". (e.g. weapon mastery costs 2 points, armor mastery costs 2 points, and a combat feat costs 2 points, but you can get them all by buying a level in fighter for 4 points.)
    Last edited by Yitzi; 2011-12-29 at 07:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would recommend against a base class concept if you want leveling freedom. Base classes are restrictive: while this works well in something like 3.5, you have issues with the restrictions that base classes give if you want anything more modular than the rigid 3.5 structure.

My main concern with this is that we have seen nothing of your ideas, your brainstorming, or anything concrete (or even ethereal glimmers of something that could become concrete). I do a very large amount of RPG design, in both completely homebrew and already-existing systems, and so this is the sort of project that appeals to both my homebrew spark and my RPG design philosophy side, but I don't see enough here to be able to figure out whether what you're proposing is interesting enough to garner my attention.

For the record, I'm a very experienced homebrewer with a firm grasp of both RPG design theory and practice, and I've minored in graphic design (largely focused in logos and layout). I'm proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.

In short, it sounds like I'm the sort of guy you're looking for. So...can you sell me on the project? 'cause at the moment I don't see enough information to make an informed decision.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-12-29 at 07:53 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    I would recommend against a base class concept if you want leveling freedom. Base classes are restrictive: while this works well in something like 3.5, you have issues with the restrictions that base classes give if you want anything more modular than the rigid 3.5 structure.

My main concern with this is that we have seen nothing of your ideas, your brainstorming, or anything concrete (or even ethereal glimmers of something that could become concrete). I do a very large amount of RPG design, in both completely homebrew and already-existing systems, and so this is the sort of project that appeals to both my homebrew spark and my RPG design philosophy side, but I don't see enough here to be able to figure out whether what you're proposing is interesting enough to garner my attention.

For the record, I'm a very experienced homebrewer with a firm grasp of both RPG design theory and practice, and I've minored in graphic design (largely focused in logos and layout). I'm proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.

In short, it sounds like I'm the sort of guy you're looking for. So...can you sell me on the project? 'cause at the moment I don't see enough information to make an informed decision.
    We'll see on that. The idea is this: the 'classes' aren't classes in the strict D&D sense. You have a base...say...umbrella of abilities you fall under. Whether you are a berserker, a meat shield, or a paladin, you fall under the Physical Warrior category. Being an elementalist, a 'traditional' wizard, or even a warlock, you fall under the Magical Combatant category. Things like this.

Now, within these categories, you create a niche for yourself. Perhaps you are a Physical Warrior, but you blend steel with the powers of the elements; this is then the style of abilities you buy or create. You could even have a Magical Combatant who uses physical weaponry to channel their magical might; they would buy abilities that reflected their physical prowess, tied with their magic.

The entirety of the system is yet to be made; which is the main reason I need help. But those are my main ideas, as of yet. I want larger Categories to be chosen at "1st level", with the ability to choose your own path to using those abilities under that larger umbrella of a Category.

Even races might have something similar, or at least alternate features like Pathfinder gives.

Gnaritas the Balancer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be willing to take a peek at this. I'll be watching this take shape, and help where I can.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    I'd be willing to take a peek at this. I'll be watching this take shape, and help where I can.
    Thank you kindly!

Gnaritas the Balancer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkstone View Post
    Ah, but I want a compromise between GURPS and D&D, not a GURPS ripoff. I do want the classes in the game, as a general proficiency sort of thing. I mean, you've got your general physical fighter type, your general magicker, and so on. There's still room to maneuver, easily. The thing that lets you make it your own is the abilities within the class itself.

And Shyftir, Koala, I'd be glad to have the both of you!
    When you're making your own system you should strive to be your own thing, not a cross between other games. At least that's my gaming philosophy. As for base classes it seems Djinn and I are on the same page...makes me feel good to know another old timer and I think alike. After all, you said you want a "New Kind" of Roleplaying game. Slapping two separate wheel parts and calling it new isn't.

If you want a "class" then just say "Here are the skills to take for this class." and be done with it. If you want a free class system placing "archtypes" isn't the way to go. It never has been. Why can't the Paladin be a ragaholic? Why do they need "umbrellas" to be put under. Let the players make the niche, all you're doing is setting up a situation where people are going to want to min/max. If that's what you want then sure, you've got the right idea. But again, you said you want a new kind of game which isn't where you're headed on the outset. You're getting an old game with some extra bells and whistles with the weaknesses of both and none of the benefits.

15. - Top - End - #15

When you're making your own system you should strive to be your own thing, not a cross between other games. At least that's my gaming philosophy. As for base classes it seems Djinn and I are on the same page...makes me feel good to know another old timer and I think alike. After all, you said you want a "New Kind" of Roleplaying game. Slapping two separate wheel parts and calling it new isn't.

If you want a "class" then just say "Here are the skills to take for this class." and be done with it. If you want a free class system placing "archtypes" isn't the way to go. It never has been. Why can't the Paladin be a ragaholic? Why do they need "umbrellas" to be put under. Let the players make the niche, all you're doing is setting up a situation where people are going to want to min/max. If that's what you want then sure, you've got the right idea. But again, you said you want a new kind of game which isn't where you're headed on the outset. You're getting an old game with some extra bells and whistles with the weaknesses of both and none of the benefits.
    I don't think you and I both have the same idea of umbrellas. You can have a Paladin be a Physical Warrior, or anything else, really. You make the concept, and use the tools there to suit you. The Category does not exist to define you; that is reserved for the abilities. What the Category does is just, very simply, state what your base idea is, so when you take it further, you aren't adrift in a sea of abilities with no idea what you're doing.

Gnaritas the Balancer

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm just uncertain of the need for the categories. Sorry if this comes off as confrontational, but consider it more brainstorming from others interested in system design.

What is the purpose of the archetypes? Why do you feel they are necessary, if the rest of the system is so utterly modular?

In short, if I can be a Physical Combatant with Divine abilities or a Divine Combatant with Physical combat abilities, doesn't it effectively come down to the same thing? It seems that you're creating another, redundant design space that will only serve to make one approach to a character the mechanically superior one: that increases system mastery, but in my opinion the idea of "you're better at this system means you can make a better character" isn't a good design concept.

So what is the justification for the added level of archetyping? In short, if complete leveling freedom is your goal, why am I limited by a restrictive initial concept?

It seems you're afraid that players will get confused in a sea of options, but I'd be more afraid that players will feel limited and restricted in a system that seems to encourage maximum player choice.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-12-29 at 08:29 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm just uncertain of the need for the categories. Sorry if this comes off as confrontational, but consider it more brainstorming from others interested in system design.

What is the purpose of the archetypes? Why do you feel they are necessary, if the rest of the system is so utterly modular?

In short, if I can be a Physical Combatant with Divine abilities or a Divine Combatant with Physical combat abilities, doesn't it effectively come down to the same thing? It seems that you're creating another, redundant design space that will only serve to make one approach to a character the mechanically superior one: that increases system mastery, but in my opinion the idea of "you're better at this system means you can make a better character" isn't a good design concept.

So what is the justification for the added level of archetyping? In short, if complete leveling freedom is your goal, why am I limited by a restrictive initial concept?
    I understand, but if you check my response to Tebryn, the Categories are more of an aid to beginner players. Having them decide the basic Category to which they belong will help in the long run, I would think. Advanced players wouldn't necessarily need the Category label, but I think it helps for the distinction.

If you think it would be best without the Categories altogether, then I'm not too attached to them. But I think it would be a good newbie aid.

Gnaritas the Balancer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I just don't see why you can't make beginner "packages" of skills that fit standard categories like the "Mage" and such. Wouldn't that be just as easy and do away with the need for "Archtypes"

19. - Top - End - #19

I just don't see why you can't make beginner "packages" of skills that fit standard categories like the "Mage" and such. Wouldn't that be just as easy and do away with the need for "Archtypes"
    Point, but that takes away the creation from the player. I don't want that.

Gnaritas the Balancer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

How does that take creation away from the player? They're not forced to take the whole package. And isn't it taking creation out of the hands of the player to impose arbitrary "Archtypes" just so new players won't be confused? At least with a package the new player can say "Oh hey...I don't want skill X. Can I take something else?" and then the DM can go "Ya sure, let me help you with what you want to take." That's what DM is for after all, helping the newbies as well as setting up the game. In the end, the player gets a lot more freedom if they're allowed to pick and choose outside a set up package made to help them out. They see the structure and how the character is made and can go from there. It actually makes things easier on the new player. I just think players and people in general are smart enough to look at a set up design with an open class based system.

21. - Top - End - #21

How does that take creation away from the player? They're not forced to take the whole package. And isn't it taking creation out of the hands of the player to impose arbitrary "Archtypes" just so new players won't be confused? At least with a package the new player can say "Oh hey...I don't want skill X. Can I take something else?" and then the DM can go "Ya sure, let me help you with what you want to take." That's what DM is for after all, helping the newbies as well as setting up the game. In the end, the player gets a lot more freedom if they're allowed to pick and choose outside a set up package made to help them out. They see the structure and how the character is made and can go from there. It actually makes things easier on the new player. I just think players and people in general are smart enough to look at a set up design with an open class based system.
    Obviously, you have more faith in people than I do. I'm not "imposing arbitrary archetypes", I'm using an umbrella of possibilities to make it easier for beginner players to choose what they want to do. When I ask players what they want to make, usually they tell me a certain category (like, "a fighter" or "a mage" or sometimes "someone who uses fire"). So, categorizing it will make it easier, I think.

And in most cases, a DM/GM will show new players a character sheet from a game already being used, or one manufactured themselves. I know that because I do, and I know two others who do. So, there's that.

I don't make things for the general; I want everyone who wants to be able to learn this, able to learn this. I want to make it as painless as possible. GURPS' point system is wonderful, but difficult to learn (I think). D&D is restrictive, quite so. Other systems are great for what they do, but they aren't what I'm going for. I'm looking for an ideological blend of the two, the goal they try to achieve, not the systems.

A blend of the idea of pure optimization of GURPS, and the idea of leveling and heroes of D&D. Those two concepts I want to keep; as you gain experience, you level, allowing you to gain more abilities and progress in a path of your choosing. That is the ideal I want. Optimization within a level-based system.

Gnaritas the Balancer

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't make things for the general; I want everyone who wants to be able to learn this, able to learn this. I want to make it as painless as possible. GURPS' point system is wonderful, but difficult to learn (I think). D&D is restrictive, quite so. Other systems are great for what they do, but they aren't what I'm going for. I'm looking for an ideological blend of the two, the goal they try to achieve, not the systems.

A blend of the idea of pure optimization of GURPS, and the idea of leveling and heroes of D&D. Those two concepts I want to keep; as you gain experience, you level, allowing you to gain more abilities and progress in a path of your choosing. That is the ideal I want. Optimization within a level-based system.
    Fair enough. I must therefore respectfully withdraw interest in this particular project, as I think our design philosophies are do different for me to really be of help within the confines of the ideas you've laid out thus far.

If you'd like a design philosophy discussion at any point, let me know...I really love discussing this stuff, but I don't want to derail your thread by turning this into a debate of design theory.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-12-29 at 09:23 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

But the problem is that you won't be able to create new archetypes for every players needs. So you will need to A) create an archetype for literally everything, with enough detail under each (which could run into the problem of too general archetypes, as with the paladin), or B) accept not everything would have an archetype (which would have the obvious problem that some ideas would be unplayable), or C) give the ability to design their own archetypes to the players or the DM, which would be one step away from ditching the archetype idea and just having a totally modular system. I recommend the totally modular system. Instead of having the Paladin have to chose between being primarily magic and primarily might, he/she could buy as much of either as they wished.
    LGBTA+itP

24. - Top - End - #24

Fair enough. I must therefore respectfully withdraw interest in this particular project, as I think our design philosophies are do different for me to really be of help within the confines of the ideas you've laid out thus far.

If you'd like a design philosophy discussion at any point, let me know...I really love discussing this stuff, but I don't want to derail your thread by turning this into a debate of design theory.
    All right, I'll do so sometime. Thanks anyways!

Gnaritas the Balancer

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    But the problem is that you won't be able to create new archetypes for every players needs. So you will need to A) create an archetype for literally everything, with enough detail under each (which could run into the problem of too general archetypes, as with the paladin), or B) accept not everything would have an archetype (which would have the obvious problem that some ideas would be unplayable), or C) give the ability to design their own archetypes to the players or the DM, which would be one step away from ditching the archetype idea and just having a totally modular system. I recommend the totally modular system. Instead of having the Paladin have to chose between being primarily magic and primarily might, he/she could buy as much of either as they wished.
    Well, I already said I can ditch the categories if need be, but that will occur in the actual system-building portion. Right now, this is just turning into a huge argument over whether or not to do one small thing. Seriously. NOT why I created this thread.

Now, if we could be more constructive; rather than saying why I can't do this, or what my options are for changing one of my basic ideas, why don't we try and come up with new ones for the other features of the system, and then it can be decided logically whether we will need them or not?

EDIT: My apologies on the double post, I wanted to make sure everyone saw this.
    Last edited by thedarkstone; 2011-12-29 at 09:31 PM.

Gnaritas the Balancer

26. - Top - End - #26

Now, if we could be more constructive; rather than saying why I can't do this, or what my options are for changing one of my basic ideas, why don't we try and come up with new ones for the other features of the system, and then it can be decided logically whether we will need them or not?
    To actually be helpful: a large part of the reason this thread turned out the way it did is because we were discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of the only concrete part of the system you'd presented. Building a system entirely from scratch is a difficult and time-consuming project, and it's probably good to have some idea of what structure and mechanics you're looking for, so there's a common ground to work with.

For example...a number of people like d20, a number like dice pools, and any number like any number of differing systems, all with their respective merits and flaws. Certain mechanics only work in certain systems, so it's very difficult to work together in a group without having some common ground to work with.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

27. - Top - End - #27

To actually be helpful: a large part of the reason this thread turned out the way it did is because we were discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of the only concrete part of the system you'd presented. Building a system entirely from scratch is a difficult and time-consuming project, and it's probably good to have some idea of what structure and mechanics you're looking for, so there's a common ground to work with.

For example...a number of people like d20, a number like dice pools, and any number like any number of differing systems, all with their respective merits and flaws. Certain mechanics only work in certain systems, so it's very difficult to work together in a group without having some common ground to work with.
    Good point. So, I know and am most familiar with d20; does anyone else have alternative preferences?

Gnaritas the Balancer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, no problem. I think you are allowed to double post when it's your homebrew thread, actually.
    Perhaps divide the abilities up into various packages, which have point costs for each. So you could buy basic magic (divine [if you chose to make divine magic separate from arcane]), the advanced martial power package, and maybe minor healing abilities if that was your idea of a paladin. I could buy elemental manipulation and advanced/master magic if I wanted to be a magician of some sort. So it wouldn't be skill based (which you said you didn't want to do), but it would be modular.
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Yeah, no problem. I think you are allowed to double post when it's your homebrew thread, actually.
    Perhaps divide the abilities up into various packages, which have point costs for each. So you could buy basic magic (divine [if you chose to make divine magic separate from arcane]), the advanced martial power package, and maybe minor healing abilities if that was your idea of a paladin. I could buy elemental manipulation and advanced/master magic if I wanted to be a magician of some sort. So it wouldn't be skill based (which you said you didn't want to do), but it would be modular.
    See, a series of multiple packages might work. But I'm a little against point-costs; I'd much rather have a tiering ability power system, so you can have (at each level) so many of each tier, which can be traded up and down. Or, even better, all abilities be equal power, or grant equal power gains. The latter isn't likely, but I can always hope.

Gnaritas the Balancer

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds like Legend, is that what you meant by the tier thing?
    Last edited by Eldest; 2011-12-29 at 09:55 PM.
    LGBTA+itP