New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [4e] Holy Crap!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [4e] Holy Crap!

Has anyone looked at the Cleric Daily called "Seal of Binding"? Maybe this is old news, but WOW.

If you use the Demi-God power that gives you regeneration, you're going to kill anything you can hit and only need 1 attack roll.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: [4e] Holy Crap!

That looks like a nasty combo, but it would certainly be pretty boring for everyone else in the party, not to mention the DM. Still, you could only do that once a day, and it's not guaranteed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it's been mentioned. But thanks for reminding me. I'm playing a Cleric.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, its been mentioned. Its really overpowered. It should probably not work as written; it is way too good. Even slapping a "no regaining hit points" clause on its sustain probably leaves it as too powerful an ability.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dragon View Post
    Yeah, its been mentioned. Its really overpowered. It should probably not work as written; it is way too good. Even slapping a "no regaining hit points" clause on its sustain probably leaves it as too powerful an ability.
    Too good? It works once per day and requires you to be in the high Epics already. I'm willing to let it slide for someone who is actively working on becoming a god
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The only real problem is if you use it against a monster that the DM planned on being an epic battle, just between him and your party.

That's a Solo monster, right? I don't know much about DMing 4e, just bashing stuff with hammers.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I forget the exact details of the power, but I recall hearing about 1-shotting Orcus with it. That might be an exaggeration, but it always struck me that the obvious answer from a DM perspective is:

1. Push/pull/slide the cleric out of range (which automatically ends the power) or

2. Make the cleric so busy that he can't spend the action to maintain it.

It's an amazing power against Solos, but not even all solos are encountered alone.
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-07-10 at 01:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You can't One-Shot anything with it, because you have to maintain it for several rounds. :P

But I kid. Whoever killed Orcus with it must have rolled a natural 20, though.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    You can't One-Shot anything with it, because you have to maintain it for several rounds. :P
    Ahh, but I was using "one-shot" in the sense of "I don't need any help and I'll only use this one power".

I am thinking of the right power, aren't I? The one with no save that prevents the target from taking actions?
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-07-10 at 01:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, that is the one. But it's still extremely unlikely you would hit.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

BlackDragon

It would actually be an incredibly crappy power if it had a no regaining hit points clause, because you have less HP then any monster you will ever face after getting the power that isn't a minion.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Yep, that is the one. But it's still extremely unlikely you would hit.
    Um? So if no one can ever hit Orcus, then isn't he immortal, of wait, you can hit Orcus really easily. He never said he was a level 1 Cleric, or the minimum level with the power, he could be talking about level 30.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can't kill Orcus with this before hitting the maximum duration of the power. The maths doesn't add up :). Still you can seriously weaken him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Um? So if no one can ever hit Orcus, then isn't he immortal, of wait, you can hit Orcus really easily. He never said he was a level 1 Cleric, or the minimum level with the power, he could be talking about level 30.
    Even at level 30, though, I don't see how you could do it.

Assuming you put an 18 into Wisdom at level 1 and increasing it at every opportunity, you'll have a 28 by the end. That's a +9.

The attack has the implement keyword, so if you use the best Holy Symbol you can get, that's another +6. We're up to 15.

Now add half your level. Let's assume it's at level 30. That's another +15, so we have a +30 to hit. That's decent!

But Orcus has a Will defense of 49. Barring more buffs, you'd still need a 19 or 20 (10% chance) to hit.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmmm... The demigod's regeneration is (if I don't recall it wrong) based on your highest ability score, right? That means that, since if your highest ability score is Wisdom it simply nullifies part of the damage (also based on Wis) and let you take 2d10 damages per round, to nullify it completely you would need an ability score that has a modifier 20 points higher that your Wis modifier. How is that possile? And even if it was, how could you hit anything with that Wis score? And that's not talking about monsters with regeneration... Even then, it's a good power on solos since, if you hit, you soften him up a lot using your other healing powers (minor actions) to heal yourself. It could actually work well even on Orcus, you know, if you can hit him (not impossible, I'm sure there were other ways to improve one's hit...).
    Not an awfully broken power, anyway. Cascade of Blades is worse, for what I'm concerned.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Hmmm... The demigod's regeneration is (if I don't recall it wrong) based on your highest ability score, right?
    The regeneration is equal to your highest ability score not modifier. With a 28 Wis, you're healing 28 damage per round, and taking a maximum of 29. (Average 20)
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Did anyone else prior to opening this thread think: "Poop Golem that deals Radiant damage"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah I thought he'd been eating too much swiss cheese.

This Cleric ability is good for Solo monsters, I'm not sure it is broken, and it does take a while to work, but it is dull as heck for everyone else so it is to be avoided as far as I'm concerned.

Orcus is soooo nasty I'd be suprised if he could be defeated without major recorse to beardy Stilton anyhow. His defences are very high making his effective HP's astronomical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Did someone say cheese?

Blade Cascade - stupidly overpowered.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes and there is also the infinate reroll cheese with the demigod epic destiny capstone power along with the elven accuracy.
    (use up all your encounter powers except Elven accuracy, then use it to re-roll any miss on blade cascade, then it refreshes, then do it again etc.)

but it's we are discussing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Did someone say cheese?

Blade Cascade - stupidly overpowered.
    Hey, wait, someone here knows statistics. Run the maths here and see what the probability of one-shotting Orcus is with this build. Since it seems like you need to hit 55 times in a row to do that, I'm pretty sure that the probability is low.

Plus, if you fail to one-shot him, you get to have a Touch of Death to the face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Touch of Death (standard; recharge) ✦ Necrotic
    Reach 4; +33 vs. Fortitude; the target is reduced to 0 hit points (resistance or immunity to necrotic damage does not apply).
    Miss:The target takes necrotic damage equal to its bloodied value.

Plus, getting next to him results in a Tail Lash to the face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    +36 vs. AC; 2d8 + 12 damage, and the target is stunned until the end of Orcus’s next turn and is knocked prone.

So yeah, I think Orcus is going to be OK

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Then again, Orcus has the Leader role, meaning your not supposed to fight him alone. So while your doing this, his minions/allies will be trying to maul you.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Hey, wait, someone here knows statistics. Run the maths here and see what the probability of one-shotting Orcus is with this build. Since it seems like you need to hit 55 times in a row to do that, I'm pretty sure that the probability is low.

Plus, if you fail to one-shot him, you get to have a Touch of Death to the face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reach 4; +33 vs. Fortitude; the target is reduced to 0 hit points (resistance or immunity to necrotic damage does not apply).

Spoiler
    Show
    +36 vs. AC; 2d8 + 12 damage, and the target is stunned until the end of Orcus’s next turn and is knocked prone.

No, you still only need one attack roll, because the rest of the damage is simply sustaining the power, after it hit. So all you really need is to insure that it'll hit and you're done. Plague of Doom and Nimbus of Doom are both Cleric powers that can help lower Orcus' Will Defense, Divine Oracle Lets you roll twice, and that just in-class help. You can further help by going Elf, and your allies can help lower the defense/increase your to-hit as well.

And it's Ranged 10, so you aren't automatically nailed by a Touch of Death or Tail Lash.

EDIT: Oh, and on the OP, yeah, the ability is crazy awesome against Solos, but only ok against the vast majority of what you'll fight. While it could use a bit of toning down (only if you go Demi-God though), I think DMs that actually have players that wind up with this will be able to manage alright (like adding enough minions or terrain features or whatever to ensure the lockdown doesn't happen for more than a few rounds at the most.)
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-07-10 at 10:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Someone in the previous thread where this build was mentioned already addressed both of these points. Feel free to look it up - I am not going myself, though, since roughly 60% of this thread is anti-4e folks flaming. Just as it was with most of the early 4e threads.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2008-07-10 at 10:23 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    No, you still only need one attack roll, because the rest of the damage is simply sustaining the power, after it hit. So all you really need is to insure that it'll hit and you're done. Plague of Doom and Nimbus of Doom are both Cleric powers that can help lower Orcus' Will Defense, Divine Oracle Lets you roll twice, and that just in-class help. You can further help by going Elf, and your allies can help lower the defense/increase your to-hit as well.

And it's Ranged 10, so you aren't automatically nailed by a Touch of Death or Tail Lash.
    I was talking about the Orcusslayer which relies upon Blade Cascade and Imperiling Strike to kill Orcus. What are you talking about?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I was talking about the Orcusslayer which relies upon Blade Cascade and Imperiling Strike to kill Orcus. What are you talking about?
    I thought you were referring to killing Orcus with the Seal of Binding. Oops.

But since you're referring to Blade Cascade, while it's true, it's also be pretty thoroughly gone over and polished, and the chances of it really failing are surprisingly low.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    And, oh yeah, not getting killed by Orcus or Orcus' allies in all those rounds you're sustaining it - because they're not going to divert any attention to you, right?
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    And, oh yeah, not getting killed by Orcus or Orcus' allies in all those rounds you're sustaining it - because they're not going to divert any attention to you, right?
    Since Orcus is forced to don't have allies(solo) and it's godlike powers have been crippled to be unable to one shot players, and the cleric has plenty of healing and defensive powers, I say surviving those turns isn't that hard.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

This reminds me of the Super Metroid Boss "Draygon", who could be defeated by letting him grab Samus, then grappling onto an exposed electrical outlet, electrocuting both of you. At that stage in the game, you were likely to have enough energy tanks to outlast him (though my first time ever, I did end up running on the fumes of my reserve tanks...)

A bit more on topic: It looks like this is a good reason for epic solo opponents to never fight alone, lest they fall prey to The Zero Sacrifice. (Sorry, video games on the mind today.)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Since Orcus is forced to don't have allies(solo) and it's godlike powers have been crippled to be unable to one shot players, and the cleric has plenty of healing and defensive powers, I say surviving those turns isn't that hard.
    To quote the monster manual "Orcus is one of the most powerful creatures that adventurers can ever hope to defeat. Unfortunately for them, he is rarely encountered alone." Then, on the encounters listing, the standard/recommend Orcus encounter is "1 Orcus (Level 33 solo brute). 2 Atropals (level 28 elite brute). 8 Lich Vestiges (level 26 minion)." So if you fight Orcus by himself, that's the DM's fault.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

At least Atropals aren't creepy, floating undead fetuses anymore. If they were, they'd steal the spotlight from Orcus in this encounter by being much more disturbing than him.