New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Interesting Character combos 4E

Hey,
    This thread is inspired partly by the old SNES game Chrono Trigger. For those who haven't played it (shame on you), you can only have 3 people in your party, each of whom gets several abilities. But they also gain other abilities which they can use only in conjunction with certain other characters.

We had one the other day:
    Spoiler
    Show

We were ambushed by an imp, a madness wraith who both popped up in the center of the party, and the door next to us opened up to reveal several homunculi of some sort.
    Right at the start, the madness wraith attacked my avenger, causing me to attack the warden. My avenger attacked the wraith, and missed.
    Then the imp appeared and dealt ongoing poison damage to my avenger. And DM realized the imp was smart enough to set off the fire traps in the room.
    The shifter warden put up a zone of cold in several squares centered on him, which did a flat amount of damage a turn.
    Next the shaman summoned her bear spirit and parked it in front of the door, blocking the homunculi from attacking anyone else. They could do a little conga line so more than one could attack the spirit at a time. But they weren't likely to do the 14 points of damage needed to dispel the bear spirit (which dealt damage to the shaman when it happened)
    Luckily we managed to get rid of the wraith in the next round with focused fire (and a high crit radiant attack power), and the imp was soon taken care of after that. With that done, it was a matter of time, us pegging the homunculi from out of the cold area, while they took continual damage from the cold, while trying to dispel the bear.

Result: Shaman's bear spirit + doorway + encounter duration AOE + low damage dealing enemies = easy fight.

So, can anyone think of especially neat power combinations using 2 or more characters?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting Character combos 4E

I play a Divine Oracle in a 4E game, and they are just great at setting up combos:

Divine Oracle + Striker = Doom Strike
    The Divine Oracle uses Prophecy of Doom on a Striker, who then hits and gets an automatic critical hit - maximizing bonus striker damage too! For extra lulz, the Oracle wears a Symbol of Victory and uses its Daily power to give the Striker a free AP.

Divine Oracle + Ranger = Lucky Cascade
    The Divine Oracle uses Good Omen to give the Ranger +5 on all d20 rolls until the Oracle's next turn. The Ranger can open up with any power, but Blade Cascade is an excellent opener.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Divine Oracle just rocks, reguardless of what class you are. All it's abilities are good, and it only has one technique that requires wisdom/holy symbol, and it's one you get back on a miss.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Divine Oracle just rocks, reguardless of what class you are. All it's abilities are good, and it only has one technique that requires wisdom/holy symbol, and it's one you get back on a miss.
    It rocks nearly as much as Warpriest sucks

Seriously though, it's like the Pit Fighter for Cleric - who doesn't like awesome powers plus incredible PP Features? Communists, that's who!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmmm how about this one.

Blood Mage uses Blood Pulse on nearby somewhat distant foe.

Fighter uses combination of Grasping (Adventurer's Vault) Javelin + Polearm Gambit, throws Javelin at Pulsed foe who is then DRAGGED adjacent to the Fighter, knocked prone, and takes damage the whole journey thanks to Blood Pulse. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch oops!

2 encounter powers = stfu and die
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Blood Mage uses Blood Pulse on nearby somewhat distant foe.
    Also, a spellscarred character has access to a power that slides fifteen on a hit...

Oh, and Polearm Gambit works on a slide or push, not a pull. Grasping Javelin is a pull.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-04-19 at 04:12 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Oh, and Polearm Gambit works on a slide or push, not a pull. Grasping Javelin is a pull.
    Oops, my bad. Regardless, the Blood Mage + Grasping Javelin part still works. Thats the main combo. I thought you could throw Polearm Gambit on there as gravy, but guess not. That'll teach me to call things out from memory and not triple check my sourcebooks....

:(
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I think my favorite low-level (IE, managable at level 1) combo I have found (I mostly play low-level games) is:

Promise of the Storm + Booming Blade + Freezing Cloud.

Nothing too fancy, I admit, but it sure is fun for an enemy to realize that he is screwed no matter what he does.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

a nice "one man combo" is the Warlock's "Fey Switch" + "Otherwind Stride". it's a great "save your buddy's bacon" combo that can be used in conjunction with the Fighter's "Come and get it" beforehand so you can actually draw more enemies in one spot for the stride to hit.

your buddy is swamped? swap places with him, gather enemies in one place, action point to immobilize a bunch of them, teleport out of there, laugh.

alternatively you can have your Fighter buddy use CaGi and then you can FS into OS.
    ------------------------------
    any push/pull through a wall of damage is a great combo. 2 swordmages + wall maker with 3 squares between them can have a field day using lightning lure

setup = S1_WES2
    S1 = swordmage 1
    _ = empty square
    W = Wall of damage
    E = Enemy
    S2 = swordmage 2

round 1) S1 uses lighting lure, hits for 1W+int and drags enemy through wall, S2 then uses lightning, hits for 1W+int and drags enemy through wall and action points into a foe snare for 1W+int and immobilized

round 2) S1 holds until S2 has finished his turn. S2 uses Backblast Swipe for 1W+int, pushes enemy 2 squares through the wall and into S1. S1 uses Backblast swipe for 1W+int and pushes enemy 2 squares into the wall and into S2. S1 then uses and AP and lightning lures enemy for 1W+int and drags him through the wall.

used in conjunction with the cleric's blade barrier (for example) for massive damage: 15d6+5xWis and 6x(1W+int). nice damage for 2 turns worth of actions

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warlord and Rogue. Seriously, doesn't require any more optimization than that. Warlords have a lot of abilities that grant allies combat advantage, and Rogues, well, love having CA.

The other one I've see involves having two defenders in the party. It's rather mean to your DM, unfortunately, who will go batty trying to figure out which monster can attack which PC.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Hal,
    I'm not sure I see how using 2 defenders makes it hard for the monsters to figure out who to attack. They just get stuck attacking whoever marked them.

I mean, yes, 2 defenders means twice the stickiness, especially since I think most fights assume PCs only have 1 of each character type (defender, leader, striker, controller, healer). But since fighter/warden marks dont' stack with one another (can't be marked by fighter AND warden at same time), I'm not sure how that makes a super combo.

Granted, I'm also not sure how the paladin's mark works, since no one in our group has played one yet.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

For the record: Marking always supercedes a previous mark, unless a specific power is used to preserve the original mark. I can think of only one power that doesn't allow another mark to supercede it. So... Yeah...
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...