New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

The moemon thing was a huge turn-off at first, but I cannonballed through this thread tonight and I have to say I'm awfully impressed. The writing is most excellent. Great work!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

Chapter 29: Memories and Revelations in a Foggy City
    Spoiler
    Show

The air here is cool and foggy. The film of clouds over the pale sky seems a pale purple color. There's a feeling in the air that makes one catch my breath.

Ghosts? Is there such a thing? Before, I'd have said no. Now? Heck if I know. I don't claim knowledge at all. Add it to my 'ask someone else' pile.

...I wonder how pokemon dying works. I mean, Mellow... but her body's still running fine. Her body isn't even real. How does that work?
    Still, Team Rocket... they've seemed pretty tame, but now killing? Someone has to stop them. Why is it always turning out to be me?

Hmmm... Maybe I should pay some respects.

Like the fanclub in Vermillion?
    ... On second thought...No. Just no.

"Yeah!" At least someone's with me.

How terrible!
    ...Come to that...
    I step outside.
    "Guys, do you...have parents?"
    "I never knew mine. I came to this world wild, my soul formed of the fire on its own."
    "Many of us are the same; we're not a terribly maternal beings."
    "YES."
    "I knew my Momma. I came here through her!... I bet she's still doing alright. Maybe I should try and give her a message."
    "I had a mom, but she didn't decide to come here. I don't know what she'd be like."
    "...I knew my grandfather..."
    I hear an edge of a growl there.
    "I couldn't stay there. I couldn't stay there... One of these days I'm gonna go back, and I'm gonna destroy him!"
    "S-Spike!"
    "...I've felt the same way."
    ...But it wouldn't help. He spent so long lying in a hospital bed, where all it would have taken is the tiniest thing... But it wouldn't have brought her back. And it would have been wrong; it's just a feeling I have sometimes. I'd never...
    "But do you think you really could, Spike?"
    "...I used to say no....I want to say no."
    "Can you really openly discuss murder while condemning murderers?"
    "It was just one of those things I used to think about...Everyone dies but the right people sometimes..."
    "...If I do, he wins, and I lose, right?"
    "Winning and Losing have careful definitions right? Him winning and you losing aren't the same thing, riight?"
    "Wait, do you want me to kill him, or don't you?"
    "I'm asking if you're morally justified in discussing the matter; The conclusion you reach...is the conclusion you reach."
    "Darnit, tell me what you want from me! I mean, I said that, but I just got mad, thinking about it!"
    "Oh, I don't waaant anything..."
    She laughs, and the whole discussion goes away, nothing more than bad memories, brought to life by the dull, misty air.

The ground? That's where I find them… That’s a really bad shopping strategy.

Why did they do that? Why waste the time on a single pokemon? Why ruin a child's life…For the hell of it?!

How does that work, though? I mean, they don't really wear... I'm pretty confused now.

...When you pair that with that orphan Cubone, the story tells itself, doesn't it? Its mother was killed by Rockets who wanted... money.

Why this obsession with money? I mean, yes! Money's great! I'd be really happy if Mom and I could have enough money that we'd be secure for a long, long time! This trip's working on that for me... but...
    "Money isn't worth everything."
    "Of course not. Power is."
    "I don't think that's right."
    "... Mistress. Be careful with a belief like that. It's very delicate. Like a flower."
    I guess that's Azula's way of calling me naive. But it’s not. There’s more to life than money, than power. Even if I’m the only one to understand that, it’s still true. That’s…something I’m going to have to prove to her.

No, I don't think...

"...ChuChu, did you sneak out of your pokeball to freak her?" I hiss through my teeth.
    "Aw, how'd you know it was me?"
    "Rya's not mean enough, the prank wasn't a mindgame so much, and everyone else generally tries to have dignity."
    "TRIES?!"
    "Anyway, we may want to actually go look at this tower."

The air here, even more than Lavender town, is cold and misty: I get the sense that this place would go moldy in a matter of minutes.
    I let the gang out, in case they have their own respects to pay.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Yeah, though it's... a lot more general..."

…Shucks.
    ”Accept the blessing; it’ll be good luck.”

...I’ve been asking a similar question…for what feels like a long time. I don’t have an answer.

"So...Azula, how exactly does that work? I mean, you guys aren't really physical... and you're really durable, too."
    "Yes, but we're not immortal. After a while, our souls wear out, and we pass away. We also sometimes tire of this world and decide to leave our bodies and mantles here behind -- to humans, that must look like death... Our masters can banish us in the same manner with their wills, and human hands can wound to the point where we must abandon this world... And we can be fully destroyed in our own world, of course...And..."
    Here she hesitates -- after this long list of death, her silence shocks. She looks up into my face, as if trying to judge what's inside.
    "There are times in battle... where the stakes are too high. There is no room for loss, and then...we leave this world and cannot return."
    I think about that pause.
    "...Can we afford a loss?"
    "Ah. Ah-ah.... You've gotten cleverer about the way I do things, Mistress... No. We cannot afford a loss. If one of us falls in battle...Only I, as your first, would be permitted to linger here."
    ...I don't know. Was I expecting that answer? Is it a surprise? It punches like one, straight into my gut. All their hopes and dreams, the reasons why they came to this world... Are on my shoulders, aren't they? Our friendships... Rely on me.
    I don't want to lose. I don't want to lose them.
    Not again. Not anyone else.
    "We've really been lucky so far."
    I try to force a smile, and it falls.
    "Why? Why is it like that?"
    "I didn't ask for it to be this way -- but that is how it is. I feel it in my essence. Those questions... could only be answered by the High Spirits themselves. They know more of our world, of this world, than any other." She pauses, then looks up again into my face with a soft expression. "If I had to guess... It is because through you, we have so much to gain."
    "Some believe that magic arises only because there is risk -- if we have such risk, we have more magic for it."
    I don't care about magic or stuff like that! Magic's just money, money's just power, power's just junk! I don't want to lose a friend... just for some stupid power!
    "It's OK, Mistress."
    "Yeah! I'm sure we'll all be OK!"
    "We've always known, so we're just going to keep doing our best, alright? You don't need to worry about us."
    "THAT'S RIGHT."
    ...I don't want to lose. I can't.
    Time to put my 'life goes on' face on.
    That's all there is to it. I cannot.
    I promise you, I won't let this journey end with regrets, Sage...

And this raises soo many questions. Maybe I'll hold all cosmology questions until the end of the tour.

It must be waves and waves of graves, all the way up...
    It's just like a human graveyard. But with a solid floor…they’re markers without bodies.

"...I just heard...about this place...and thought I should see."
    Beau: "This must be bringing back a lot of bad memories, huh?"
    His face looked red...and his eyes. I smiled and waved his concerns here away.
    "I'm fine. I'm fine."

...I suspect he does not know the differences in battle terms. I guess he can afford a loss, huh?
    ...Well, I won't show weakness to him!

I used to dislike that little sliver of life... Now it really worries me. ChuChu can't take a hit well...
    She takes the Pidgeotto’s quick attach, wincing through the pain.
    But she can do it well enough. OK. Don't let fear distract you.

And down she goes.

"Where'd you get one of those?"
    Beau: "Outside of town. She's quite the looker, huh?"
    Beau's Growlithe: "Oh yeah. Aren't I something, Miss Rival?"
    "...Not half as pretty as Rya. Rya, show them your beautiful water pulse!"

"See?"
    Beau: "...Ha-ha, very nice..."
    Too much sarcasm there.

What the heck's that?!
    It's seriously freaking me.
    ...I hope it's not too much trouble for Azula.

Nope, I guess it's not.

"Hi there again!"
    Beau's Wartortle: "You again?"
    "Enough pleasantries, ChuChu."

The Wartortle tries to boost her defense -- I admit, I'm relieved. As long as she stays on the defensive, it doesn't matter how long the battle takes.

And either way, it's not long. I really think that, for me... the best defense is a good offense. No doubt.

I wouldn’t say no to a better anti-psychic option.

"Oooh...lookit the pretty birds..."
    "Rya, stay with me!"
    I think I start to feel a flutter of panic. What should I do? If Rya hurts herself... well, she doesn't really know her own strength. She probably has no idea how much she could hurt herself!
    But no. Best defense. No hesitation.
    I command Rya to bite and she ends of chewing on her own arm, not noticing the pain...
    "Rya, please focus! Try again!"

This is getting bad, fast.
    I need to end this fight, before it's too late! Once more, and then... I don't know.
    I'll cross that bridge.

Aah!
    Ok, don't panic. Don't look at how many bite marks, painful welts with faint trickles of blood, are starting to cover her... don't panic.
    Don't think how close you could be to losing her.
    ”Decide a path, Mistress.”
    Again…she must feel that shaking.
    Ok. Healing time. I give Rya a super-potion, which seems to bring her to her senses.
    "...Oh. I'm all bitten..."
    "Don't worry, Rya. Just pull through a little more..."
    "...Hey, we said not to worry, right, Mistress?"
    She smiles as if she hadn't been two hits from the end.
    She bites the Kadabra for a second, final time.

I heave a sigh of relief, and then notice something...

I can’t afford to lose, Beau.
    "Didn't you used to have a Raticate?... Did something...happen?"
    Beau:"...Yeah. I got into a fight with this big guy in Vermillion: some muscle-man, with long hair... Watch out for him. He very nearly attacked me out of nowhere, and..."
    "...And?"
    Beau:"...You can imagine the rest. I surrendered after that. I've never seen a Pokemon go down like that. He knew about me; Said he didn’t want anymore threats."
    "I'm really sorry, Beau."
    I reach out across the distance that served as a battlefield and hug him.
    He laughs, nervously.

"...If more than just the one's gone... I bet there's a lot to be worried about."

Then he detaches himself from my hug and looks away, trying to hide a bright red face.

"A lot of losing to accomplish, you mean."

...Man, I hate that jerk. No, really! I really do!

Curiouser and Curiouser... (Man, my life is full of Alice in Wonderland references, isn’t it?)

...How? Is there a fog machine in here? Or did they just open up a window?

...What?
    Shoot! It's an actual ghost, isn't it?
    I mean, what is that? Shouldn't it be a pokemon?

I am not fighting something I can't identify. No way I'm taking that risk!
    "Retreat!"

I leave the tower as if on rollerblades
    "Ok, I think I've been very patient about not asking, but WHAT THE SWEET MONKEY BLIPPING RAPTOR JESUS WAS THAT?"
    "Allow me."
    "Absolutely not. This is my duty..." Terra turned, pouting. [color=red]"They are ghosts. Pokemon that either have not fully left the world, or not yet fully entered it. Even one such as you can only see them vaguely -- that's because they don't have a place. If humans have developed the technology to create a mantle for your eyes for these cheaters of the system... I'd be very curious to see it."
    "...OK, so they're not from beyond the grave, they're just not fully present as pokemon yet?"
    "Something like that."
    ...Maybe a Silph Scope would help, then. Pity I can't get to Saffron.

But maybe they have a department in Celadon! I guess that's my next goal.
    But first... I made a promise, didn't I?
    ...Yes, to someone who's risking their happiness to be with me.

"R-really? At last! Thank you,. Thank you, Boss!"

"Yes! Let me finally, finally be... in the... TOP PERCENT!"
    I re-enter the name in the database. Officially.

I grin as I listen to how happy TopPercen...t sounds.

"Yeah, but really... I was just changing the name to reflect what was already there."
    "YOO-HOO~!"

Parts of this chapter have been in my head since at least Brock, so it's a relief to have stuff explained. Also, wow...Almost 30 chapters of little adorable chibi folk in costumes.
    That's not even counting chapters that are bizzarely numbered or bonus chapters, too.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-21 at 11:15 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

I think, from a purely narrative standpoint, that your Pokemon shouldn't die in battle against Beau. He doesn't seem to want to fight to kill them. Bad for the relationship and stuff.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Exeggcute looks... strange.
    Beau's dialogue doesn't easily lend itself to your characterization of him.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Exeggcute looks... strange.
    Beau's dialogue doesn't easily lend itself to your characterization of him.
    I never plan for what he'll say next when I'm writing, so it's a little tough at times, but usually he says exactly what I want him to say, or near to it in sentiment. What he says in-game is also a part of my characterization of him, after all -- I want him to say very nearly everything he says in the game... But, because you see more of him here, I want it to 'read' differently. Call it his youthful uncertainty paired with his immature refusal to show weakness: it's what I call it.

Edit: I'd say my main complaint about the game's dialogue for the rival is that it's really inconsistant about exactly his degree of hostility/rivalry and his overall maturity level: it bounces around like a rubber superball throughout the game.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-21 at 10:32 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's usually just one line (as far as yours goes) that seems out of character. Meh, can't be helped, I suppose.

...I think my favorite line in any of the games is Gold/Silver/Crystal/Remakes
    "Some (insert rival's name) guy just made fun of my Pokemon!"
    That's a fun line.

And yeah, they move him around a lot.

Still, I'd rather have an actual rival than a wannabe. (Third Gen!)
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2010-09-21 at 10:33 PM.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

It's usually just one line (as far as yours goes) that seems out of character. Meh, can't be helped, I suppose.
    Wait, do you mean one of the lines I write, or one of the lines the game writes? Either way, it's something I need to look out for more carefully.

...I think my favorite line in any of the games is Gold/Silver/Crystal/Remakes
    "Some (insert rival's name) guy just made fun of my Pokemon!"
    That's a fun line.

And yeah, they move him around a lot.

Still, I'd rather have an actual rival than a wannabe. (Third Gen!)
    I think we had a big comparison of all the rivals at some point in this thread... I can't remember what conclusions we came to.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-21 at 10:37 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I meant one of the game's lines.

Was it this thread where we discussed rivals? I don't remember. I do remember .... parts of the conversation.

So... anybody use Serebii? ... It's no fun when you can't see what's coming up. (Well, at least, coming up where I am. It's out in Japan.)

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

I meant one of the game's lines.

Was it this thread where we discussed rivals? I don't remember. I do remember .... parts of the conversation.

So... anybody use Serebii? ... It's no fun when you can't see what's coming up. (Well, at least, coming up where I am. It's out in Japan.)
    I think we had that talk here. That or in the thread for Phoe-Kun's LP: It basically started because I mentioned that it's really hard to read the R(G)BY Rival as really and truly evil, given his insult's incredibly lameness, which sounds like the line of thought I used to reach Beau as a character.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You might want to fix the formatting errors on the last chapter, Deme...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Pokemon finds it difficult to make anybody truly evil, it seems. They always want to give their villains redeeming qualities, blah, blah, blah... Or, at least, (and this is less "they're not evil" and more "protagonist is good") the protagonist sees enough good in them to want to protect them from whatever legendary they summoned.
    Cyrus cuts pretty close, I suppose. Giovanni's not so great, either.
    But, seriously. They don't need multiple villains to have "What Have I Done" moments. /endpointless, easily debated rant.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    You might want to fix the formatting errors on the last chapter, Deme...
    Gah! Thanks for pointing it out ^^ There were a lot I didn't catch...
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still loving it. Produce more, citizen Deme.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Halfling in the Playground

I think it would've been pretty funny if Seed had forgotten about the Name Rater and gone another few episodes before TopPercen finally reminds her.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Now she can be in the top percent of Rattatas! o/

(...by not being used, ever.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post

And, y'know, being a Raticate.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post

Hey, who didn't vote last time to keep her in the level-up loop? That's right. You guys. Who voted her out? Also you guys. I don't blame you, of course, I'm just pointing out.
    ...But, yeah. the irony's not lost on me or her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    And, y'know, being a Raticate.
    Well, she can still hope to be in the Top Percent of Raticate -- that's surely the fate of those in the Top Percent of Rattatas. That's what she'd say, anyway.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-22 at 10:54 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #438

I like Rattatas more. They're purple. Why do they change to that boring orangeish color when they evolve? The idea of a big purple rat is just so amusing to me.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Now I need to name a Rattata in another game named some variation of Chuck E. Cheese. Just because that's what my brain associates with a big purple rat...and I will never be able to unthink it.

Also, I agree with the sentiment of "why tannish-brown evolution"? I mean, 1st-gen pokemon have so many tannish-brown colorschemes. I mean, I've basically run out of usable light/tan/golden-brown fonts. I was pretty desperate when I picked Terra's font, even. That's why Erika uses a purple color (given her namesake, a shade of blue would be better, but purple works the psychic connection): I was just out of fonts I could use from her natural colorscheme. I don't know what I'll do about Evee's font.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-22 at 06:36 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Now I need to name a Rattata in another game named some variation of Chuck E. Cheese. Just because that's what my brain associates with a big purple rat...and I will never be able to unthink it.
    ....when did Chuck E. Cheese become purple?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    ....when did Chuck E. Cheese become purple?
    When he started occupying my head. My brain automatically colors him purple-grey...I have no clue why.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    When he started occupying my head. My brain automatically colors him purple-grey...I have no clue why.
    okay. Just making sure I wasn't going crazy...er

23. - Top - End - #443

You could still be going crazy, just not for that reason.

Also, for Eevee, you could use whatever color corresponds to what you'll evolve her into. It'd save a color change in the future, too.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Speaking of which...
    Just don't let it be Flareon.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by originalpimp View Post
    You could still be going crazy, just not for that reason.

Also, for Eevee, you could use whatever color corresponds to what you'll evolve her into. It'd save a color change in the future, too.
    This would involve starting the vote before I introduce her, though... Which... OK. Voting for what I should do with the Eevee should be evolved into starts now. You could also suggest names, though I'll hold off 'What should we do with her' until after.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... See if you can make her an Umbreon. Or maybe a Jolteon if ChuChu goes down. (She seems to be the weakest, physically)

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Espeon. Don't know about a name.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-09-22 at 09:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry...but...I have no reason to believe I could do Espeon or Umbreon in this. OK, I have a reason to believe it'd be possible, but that reason is only "Version Exclusives not Exclusive" and "Magic Doors," as opposed to actual knowledge. If it's possible, it'd take me doing a lot of fiddling to find that out, since I know very little about the changes made by this patch. So it's easy to assume you only have the basics: Jolteon, Flareon, and Vaporeon.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-09-22 at 09:41 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Vaporeon then.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yeah, Flareon is fairly useless, especially since you have a Fire type (with temporary death immunity). And you already have a fast electric type. Vaporeon makes a decent tank, which you don't have too many of, doesn't have too many weaknesses, and is fairly versatile.

Vaporeon for the win.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.