New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Girl Genius XII: For Doom The Bell Tolls

Previously on Girl Genius:

Everyone's finally out of the castle! This being a world full of sparks, that means that the town is under attack. However, most non-Mechanicsburg townfolk have been put out of commission by some existential despair, brought about by the ringing of THE DOOM BELL. This heralds a new time for the comic as all the Jägermonsters have recently been preparing for those events and have finally come home to their new Heterodyne.

Just to reiterate, we are finally out of the castle!

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF @ Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (Updated sporadically)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the entries can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Often will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    The News Page on the Girl Genius website. (updated slightly more frequently than the Studio Foglio LJ page)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil Foglio's LJ page. (hasn't updated in a while)

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky gating 101;
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Enjoy the comic!
    6. Alternately, be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2012-01-12 at 11:37 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XII: For Doom The Bell Tolls

I got bugged out on the last post so ill just redo it here.

You know, we were talking about higgs awhile back, i forget why, but this has to be the comic that raises the most questions and the most potentially interesting ideas about who or what he is. Here.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wait, when did we enter the castle? As I recall, it started with a recap of a fake opera intended to prime the public for a Tarvek/Agatha pairing, with, among other things, a jagermonster chorus ("famously bawdy") a love duet based on a moose mating call ("guaranteed to test the range of any vocal performer"), and a random clockwork giraffe "(that was only recently found in a barn in Essen)". However, I go back to thread 4 and they're talking about the Cinderella interlude, which was at least a year since the beginning of the saga, if not more. So at which thread did this start?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Er, Land, what are you referring to?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Wait, when did we enter the castle? As I recall, it started with a recap of a fake opera intended to prime the public for a Tarvek/Agatha pairing, with, among other things, a jagermonster chorus ("famously bawdy") a love duet based on a moose mating call ("guaranteed to test the range of any vocal performer"), and a random clockwork giraffe "(that was only recently found in a barn in Essen)". However, I go back to thread 4 and they're talking about the Cinderella interlude, which was at least a year since the beginning of the saga, if not more. So at which thread did this start?
    The Cinderella interlude does not relate in any way to the start of the zGreat Castle Arc.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post

You know, we were talking about higgs awhile back, i forget why, but this has to be the comic that raises the most questions and the most potentially interesting ideas about who or what he is. Here.
    Even beyond the words, think visually. Look how strong the resemblance is between Higgs and Agatha. Some of it is just the artist, but look at the faces. Mentally take away Higgs' side-burns and it's a very similar face.

Also there's three characters IIRC with that shade of blonde. Agatha, Lucrezia and Higgs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Wait, when did we enter the castle?
    That depends a bit on what you want for "castle" and "who":
    * Agatha enters crypt
    * Pinky enters castle
    * Agatha enters castle as "prisoner".
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

8. - Top - End - #8

Based on those dates, Agatha entered Der Kestle on page 17(or 16, not quite sure) of the original Girl Genius thread. That was 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Based on those dates, Agatha entered Der Kestle on page 17(or 16, not quite sure) of the original Girl Genius thread. That was 4 years ago.
    I was afraid of that. I'll go and check when the actual thread started (in relation to the rest of the story), but dang, for the entire lifespan of Girl Genius threads here, we've been in the castle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Er, Land, what are you referring to?
    I was referring to when we (the audience of posters here at Giantitp) entered the castle (in terms of at what point during our threads) along with Agatha. As Rockphed has told me, it is roundabout page 17 on the first thread. Which is a touch daunting.

Also, it's supposed to be one word, minus the numbers of course: "Landis"963, not "Land is"963. Now if I could figure out how to sig stuff, this wouldn't happen.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-01-04 at 12:02 AM. Reason: wrong source

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Go to usercp > edit signature. 'Nuff said.

And Land is shorter, just like how some people shorten mine to Tura.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The very next page also raises a very interesting point in that Tarvek (the only person who's seen Higgs' inhuman strength close up) points out that Higgs got permission from both Gil AND Agatha.

Actually that page I linked to shows that the Castle also knows Higgs and for some reason, Higgs doesn't want his identity known.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice observation tower, but with the castle occupying such a dominant position in Mechanicsburg why would it ever have been needed?

Perhaps Agatha will get her shot at trying to talk to the Sturmhalten monsters after all.

14. - Top - End - #14

The big guy does not mess around when it comes to rejoicing.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Am i the only one seeing the Godzille Vs MechaGodzilla scene here
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Nnnope
    Truth resists simplicity.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The monsters from Sturmhalten arriving bother me. Why would they head for Der Kastel? The Barons forces had the place contained last we knew ( http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070706 ). Are they acting on orders or without orders. And if they are follwoing orders, who's are they?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    The big guy does not mess around when it comes to rejoicing.
    He knows, what rejoicing might come along with perhaps?

It also reminds me of the poor jester in Wyrd Sisters (and the whole jester's guild).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #19

I now feel the need to sing Rejoice Greatly.

This is the new monster theme song in my head.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well, since it's still the holiday season: *ahem*

"Rejoice! Rejoice! Heteroooodyne,
    Shall ransom captive Meeechanicsburg! "

"We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    The very next page also raises a very interesting point in that Tarvek (the only person who's seen Higgs' inhuman strength close up) points out that Higgs got permission from both Gil AND Agatha.

Actually that page I linked to shows that the Castle also knows Higgs and for some reason, Higgs doesn't want his identity known.
    And there's also this:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20101018

One word pronounced the Jager way, that raised all sorts of speculation...

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Am i the only one seeing the Godzille Vs MechaGodzilla scene here
    I certainly am!

And there was much rejoicing!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The monsters from Sturmhalten arriving bother me. Why would they head for Der Kastel? The Barons forces had the place contained last we knew ( http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070706 ). Are they acting on orders or without orders. And if they are follwoing orders, who's are they?
    They're coming to join Agatha, of course. They respond to Lucrezia's voice, which A has. Their lady has been found!
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    They're coming to join Agatha, of course. They respond to Lucrezia's voice, which A has. Their lady has been found!
    ... That actually makes a lot of sense, if you think about it.

As we know, the sturmhaltenn monsters don't know Agatha is resisting the Other. Could this be an attempt to combine forces under her? Or is it an attempt to "legitimize" Lucretia-in-Agatha's body as the Heterodyne, by having her "defeat" the forces of the other?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by CJvR View Post
    Nice observation tower, but with the castle occupying such a dominant position in Mechanicsburg why would it ever have been needed?
    To spit on people of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

OK, let's see what we have here -

1. Gil is trying to assert control over his father's forces, believing his father is dead.

Given the chaos of everything happening, some may wind up under Gil's control and some may wind up fighting him - they may not get the message he's leading the Wulfenbach forces fighting with Agatha, may think the message is faked, may decide one of them has a better right to take over the Wulfenbach Empire than Gil, and so on.

2. The Metal Princess/Lucrezia - The monsters may be coming because she ordered them. She may have a fiendish plot or she may be unwittingly carrying out Pinky's fiendish plot.

3. The Baron - Never trust an offscreen death, especially of a major character. He may show up under Metal Lucrezia's control (in which case, the Wulfenbach forces may be further split and be more likely to fight each other) or he may show up under her control but cleverly working around her orders in ways to help Gil (and maybe Agatha) win.

Of course, he may be working around her orders to find clever ways of helping Gil and killing Agatha, which would complicate things.

4. Storm King - He might be able to control the monsters, he might be able to get Agatha to control the monsters, he might have had the foresight to put a turn-off-metal-Lucrezia button on Lucrezia (or a transmitter to turn her off some place else). He may also be in a really bad position to do whatever he'd hoped to do (for all we know, he called the monsters to help Agatha but will now be unable to direct them, leaving them to Lucrezia).

So, he may be very useful or he may be in a lot of trouble and need help himself.

5. Pinky - She has a plan to turn this to her favor, but we don't know what the plan is. For most everyone else involved, this is the fight for Mechanicsburg with a side helping of establishing Gil as his father's heir and in control of his father's territory - a major turning point in the game. For Pinky, this may be a more minor point. For example, if she can get away with the Baron under her control, Gil and Agatha could win at Mechanicsburg only to find themselves facing the rest of Europa (Pinky could combine the forces that support the Baron/don't want to fight the Baron with the ones outside Mechanicsburg who would support a Heterodyne AND Lucrezia's supporters - including the people controlled by wasps). Or she may have lost the Baron but is still planning on letting potential rivals weaken themselves at Mechanicsburg while whe establishes herself elsewhere.

Short version - She has a long range plan and the current situation is probably not messing it up - and may be playing into it.

6. Bang - She's psycho and may or may not support Gil. She also may change sides/charge off on her own as soon as she realizes Zeetha wiped out her pirate fleet. She's a wild card that could play for any side - or against all of them.

7. Punch and Judy - Would fight for Agatha but may still think Gil is bothering her.

8. Othar - May get fooled into fighting for Pinky or one of the others. May decide to wipe out a bunch of Sparks when they're all in one place. May be genre savvy and realize Pinky is the bad guy. May even decide this is one of those times when the Hero (him) must join forces with the Evil Villain (the Baron or Gil) to defeat the Greater Evil (Pinky, Lucrezia).

Another wild card who may wind up on any of the many sides.

9. Oh, and the Heterodyne brothers may yet show up when we least expect them.

10. And there are still other Mad Scientists running around loose.

So . . . expect the unexpected.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2012-01-04 at 12:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    My vote goes with clankcrezia summoning them. She is making a power play, and things are so confused right now that its childs play to slip in her own forces to seize control of the area. Or at least cripple all the sides enough so the entire place falls apart and she can try to pick up the pieces. I have to admit that im surprised to see pinky and clanky working together. I mean, lucrezia is the classic trust no one megalomaniac type, so she knows that at any time the other her could turn on her to take full control. Or maybe they intend to combine at some point, who knows? Another problem there is, clankcrezia only THINKS lucrezia is in charge of zolas body, I think it was already shown that zola kept her shunted off to the side and took her memories. Gah, the whole scenario is more complicated than 5 sparks trying to design a single device.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    7. Punch and Judy - Would fight for Agatha but may still think Gil is bothering her.
    Don't forget that Gil left orders for Punch and Judy to be transferred to the hospital ASAP. They may have been there when the place exploded. And while them having an off-panel death after everything that's happened would make it all kind of pointless, them being found at death's door and delivering one final message to Agatha before dying or even a message to Gil to give to Agatha (remember, Gil is heading for what's left of the hospital last we heard), would fit completely.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

My vote goes with clankcrezia summoning them. She is making a power play, and things are so confused right now that its childs play to slip in her own forces to seize control of the area. Or at least cripple all the sides enough so the entire place falls apart and she can try to pick up the pieces. I have to admit that im surprised to see pinky and clanky working together. I mean, lucrezia is the classic trust no one megalomaniac type, so she knows that at any time the other her could turn on her to take full control. Or maybe they intend to combine at some point, who knows? Another problem there is, clankcrezia only THINKS lucrezia is in charge of zolas body, I think it was already shown that zola kept her shunted off to the side and took her memories. Gah, the whole scenario is more complicated than 5 sparks trying to design a single device.
    The only problem I can see with Lucrezia summoning the monsters is, the means by which she'd do it. Simply sending a message wouldn't do; the Geisters are gone, nobody in Strumhalten knows she's Lucrezia, not Anevka, and hence Must Be Obeyed (and the power structure there appeared to have been pretty wrecked, anyway), and I doubt the Goo Monsters can read. She'd have to go herself, personally, and use the Voice to compel everyone to do as she wished. That would certainly be possible. She could have had Klaus issue orders to his troops to let her out of Mechanicsburg, take her to Strumhalten, let her in, let her gather up forces, and then march on Mechanicsburg. The interesting part of that would be, she wouldn't have been in the Hospital when the bomb hit. And if Klaus or a suspicious Bang had taken advantage of that to regain some freedom of action...

As to Pinky and 'Anevka' working together, don't forget, everything we've seen suggests all Lucrezias consider themselves expendable copies of the original, perfectly willing to work together to promote their goals. Mecha-Lucrezia would no problems working with Lucrezia-in-Zola's-body. Of course, if she had the slightest hint of the true situation...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

My guess is, monster army from Sturmhalten is the same one we've seen departing back when Lars was rescuing Agatha (or at least part thereof). The timing would be about right (armies travel somewhat slower then a small group of people). This would mean, that Lucrezia gave the orders to march before she got out of Sturmhalten.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I doubt it! Gil saved their lives, remember, and Punch thanked him for it, so I doubt they'd just dismiss him as a pest. They might still see him as too dangerous, but they're not going to just knock him out without giving him a chance to speak after he saved their lives.