1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Girl Genius VI:Der Pestle in Der Kestle

Well, it's that time again.

Thanks to Mauve Shirt for the links!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    Thread V
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip.
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (A compliation [and much easier to read if you're just catching up] of the entries can be found here at the GG website)
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background infomation on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)
    Last edited by Teln; 2009-11-05 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius VI:Der Pestle in Der Kestle

ProTip: Always link from the old thread to the new thread - or nobody'll know it's there
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I've been wondering about something for a while, but only came across it again a bit ago; Has there been any speculation about the different lights that come on? The one's where Agatha has proven that she's got the command voice and she's a heterodyne?
    Pasted .
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Spark
    2. Blood
    3. Music

The Heterodynes are a musical family, after all.

5. - Top - End - #5

Speaking of which, the other day I had an idea about the Heterodynes. What if, unlike most sparks who make giant war machines or abominations of science, the Heterodynes made Music? Thus, their crowning glory is not the Jagers or the Castle, but their music that gives them the spark they need to do whatever they want! Their library probably contains more on the spark than the baron could compile in a hundred lifetimes. Then again, their library also contains more on giant spiders than the baron could compile in a thousand lifetimes, so my point is doubly moot.

I wonder if they actually designed Mechanicsburg as a giant maze, but got bored and started knocking out walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Love The Court Jester reference
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2009-10-17 at 07:26 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sparks don't need your sense, Moloch!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Has Agatha unleashed an irrevocable change to Sparky society by allowing her minion to actually contribute suggestions?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Has Agatha unleashed an irrevocable change to Sparky society by allowing her minion to actually contribute suggestions?
    Sparks don't strike me as people that 1) subscribe to a "society" and 2) care about traditions they didn't start themselves.

So, no. Thankfully. Agatha's allowances will remain in strength only as long as she remains at the top of the heap - i.e. in Castle Heterodyne.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I do so love the Mad Social Scientist.

I mean, Annual Brain Wipes for his minions? I guess he really is soft-hearted.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-10-18 at 09:15 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #11

Silly Moloch, Spark don't do practical solutions.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueWizardGirl

Yea! Love the thread title!

Ah, mad scientists, gotta love 'em. From a safe distance.

Just going to state my general happiness with this comic and wonder if the spider powers means there's a chance of the GG world getting a spider-man.

You know, with GG, I always wonder if I should put spoilers around jokes like that, just in case.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

That's crazy talk.

Beats me how he was able to disguise himself as a Spark, actually.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    That's crazy talk.

They were in the process of testing him when everything went balls up. They would have found out eventually.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    That's because he didn't do a very good job of fooling people.

Even Klaus, who had next to no interactions with Moloch, had his doubts.

It was only because Moloch was working with a geniune Spark (albiet one slowly breaking through) that he was able to fool people as long as he did. Well that, and the fact that Agatha's First Clank made quite the impression on Klaus. Which bought Moloch some much needed time to try to figure out what to do. Sadly he really never came up with an answer to his prediciment.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-10-18 at 11:51 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #16

Moloch, Moloch, Moloch.
    Watch your language around these people!

And yes, the social scientist is a big softie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Yea! Love the thread title!
    Would it be possible for you to explain it to those of us less linguistically gifted (and really bad at puns)?

Kestle I get, it's the written germanic accent for 'castle', but the pestle bit confuses me.

A pestle is the blunt instrument used for grinding things (used with a mortar), however since castle is written with the accent, that would indicate pestle is as well (pastle?).

A pastille is some sort of soft flavoured/medicated lozenge, unless it's pastel, which means it's a stick of soft chalk used for drawing, but what do either of these things have to do with Castle Heterodyne?

My brain hurts...
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2009-10-19 at 04:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Girl or not, heir or not, if you are a spark then I need you. Only you could possibly fix me. Because there certainly aren't upwards of half a dozen sparks already running around inside the castle.

I know sparks are fun to write for.. but this doesn't make that much sense. There are a large number of sparks inside the castle. That has probably been the situation for years. They haven't even gotten close to fixing the Castle. They haven't been very successful at achieving freedom. Why would the Baron even send them to the Castle? Isn't he in the middle of a series of horrifying experiments on those with the Spark, needing a constant supply of expendable sparks?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Would it be possible for you to explain it to those of us less linguistically gifted (and really bad at puns)?

Kestle I get, it's the written it the written germanic accent for 'castle', but the pestle bit confuses me.

A pestle is the blunt instrument used for grinding things (used with a mortar), however since castle is written with the accent, that would indicate pestle is as well (pastle?).

A pastille is some sort of soft flavoured/medicated lozenge, unless it's pastel, which means it's a stick of soft chalk used for drawing, but what do either of these things have to do with Castle Heterodyne?

My brain hurts...
    I do believe it's a referance to this memorable scene from an old comedy.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2009-10-19 at 02:41 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Girl or not, heir or not, if you are a spark then I need you. Only you could possibly fix me. Because there certainly aren't upwards of half a dozen sparks already running around inside the castle.

I know sparks are fun to write for.. but this doesn't make that much sense. There are a large number of sparks inside the castle. That has probably been the situation for years. They haven't even gotten close to fixing the Castle. They haven't been very successful at achieving freedom. Why would the Baron even send them to the Castle? Isn't he in the middle of a series of horrifying experiments on those with the Spark, needing a constant supply of expendable sparks?
    Those are all minor sparks, Klaus would newer put a major spark into the Castle, since there is a decent chance they could break out again.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #21

An impertinent mechanical squid. Some things just don't bear thinking of.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post

They're minor sparks, what do you expect; hell this latest update should show just what kind of crap could hold them back from finishing der Kestle

As for why Klaus isn't using them in his experiments, it is possible that part of his deal with Der Kestle was to maintain a certain "spark" quota as they are better at repairs...

23. - Top - End - #23

The part of the castle that said that to Agatha is also, in its own opinion, the main part of the original system, cut off from the other parts by damage and unable to communicate with the rest of the systems. It wants Agatha to fix a specific issue that it hasn't been able to tell any of the other sparks about, because they've never made it to the library (or don't seem to have at any rate) where it can talk to them.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    An impertinent mechanical squid. Some things just don't bear thinking of.
    Why? Don't you like naughty tenticles?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus is probably smart enough to realize that by putting particularly nutty mild sparks in the Kestle he's hindering rather than helping the repair process. The kind of spark that would be useful to the castle is rather special, almost unique.

He/She would have to be relatively sane, so they could be reasoned with and understand what needed to be done.

They'd have to be pretty sparky to understand how the castle works and what needs to be done to fix it.

They'd have to stay focused, so they'd actually fix something rather than, say, turn it into a maze for orphans.

They'd have to want to help, rather than serve their own self interests.

Also Klaus probably has specific things he's looking for in the sparks he's experimenting on, not just any run-of-the-mill sparky loon will do.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Moloch continues to be among my favorite characters in the comic.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Moloch continues to be among my favorite characters in the comic.
    Heh! Yeah, he may only be a mechanic, but he can hold his own against the average madboy.

Or at least know when to run like hell... :D

28. - Top - End - #28

Also recall that there are not a lot of sparks like Agatha, Gil, or Klaus in the world. Consider the scale that I think DnD used for levels of wizard. IE-For every 9th level wizard in the world, there are 9 of 8th level, and for each of them 9 of 7th level and so on.

Even if we only figure Agatha for a 4th level Spark (interchangeable with wizarding, as Agatha so elequently said on this page.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081205)

Thats 9*9*9*9 = 6561 1st Level Sparks in the world, and even that is a lot. Even if we change the scale to 5 instead of 9, thats 625 1st Level sparks for every one of Agatha's Calibre. If the rareness index is only 3, that would be 81 1st Level Sparks for every Agatha, Gil, or Klaus, or Tarvek in the world, assuming that those 4 are all of equal skill.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I don't think Tarvek is on the same level as Agatha, Gil and Klaus. Tarvek is clearly good (as demonstrated by his "sister"), but I don't think he can pull of the stuff the others can.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    Heh! Yeah, he may only be a mechanic, but he can hold his own against the average madboy.

Or at least know when to run like hell... :D
    I must say, he did think of murdering Agatha for almost no reason, when on Castle Wulfenbach.

And he didn't try and stop his brother when he beat up a women who just happened to be passing.

Not particularly sympathetic if you ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I don't think Tarvek is on the same level as Agatha, Gil and Klaus. Tarvek is clearly good (as demonstrated by his "sister"), but I don't think he can pull of the stuff the others can.
    Klaus is boss, so he's probably on Hetrodyne level. After all, the female lead is never caught up in a love triangle with the bumbling sidekick. I'd say he was just content to let others lead,given that he seems to have incredible levels of humility. (I mean, look how he is portrayed in literature. Do you see a cult of personality?)
    He doesn't care who does the job, as long as it gets done.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2009-10-20 at 01:07 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.