New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    It wasn't made by the same guys as Three Kingdoms, afaik. Troy was developed by the B-team, the same one that made Britannia. And yeah, it shows.
    That's a shame. I'd have thought they would have just reskinned Three Kingdoms for the greek setting. How did they screw that up?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Subnautica is next on my list of unplayed games to play- any reccomendations for a new player?

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    That's a shame. I'd have thought they would have just reskinned Three Kingdoms for the greek setting. How did they screw that up?
    Money, I assume. The Three Kingdoms team is still making DLC for Three Kingdoms, or maybe making the next main game (WH3 hopefully). The B team probably got the same engine to work from, but they're certainly less skilled and therefore cheaper.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I've been playing Phoenix Point, the XCOM-like game from the original designer of XCOM. It's pretty good – started out very buggy when it was released in December, but since then the devs have been very active with patches and fixes. It almost feels like they're treating the Epic release as an alpha in preparation for the Steam launch this winter – they've done tons of rebalancing and have completely reworked things like the base and exploration system.

The game's pretty fun, but man, the campaign is LONG. I've been playing the same campaign for more than two weeks now and I'm only finally getting close to the end. Getting coverage of the whole globe means you have to do a ton of missions defending settlements from alien attacks, and you need multiple teams spread across different continents.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I've been playing Phoenix Point, the XCOM-like game from the original designer of XCOM. It's pretty good – started out very buggy when it was released in December, but since then the devs have been very active with patches and fixes. It almost feels like they're treating the Epic release as an alpha in preparation for the Steam launch this winter – they've done tons of rebalancing and have completely reworked things like the base and exploration system.
    Advantage of Epic Eclusives I really, really, don't have to care until it comes out proper-like, especially since I usually wait until a year after release to play most stuff nowadays anyway...

By the time that and MW5 come out elsewhere, they'll be better expereinces.

(I passed on Troy as well; not even going to make an Epic account for a free game, lads, sorry. Call me, Epic, when you at least have managed a basic shopping cart and then MAYBE I'll consider looking in your direction, ever... Yes, Steam's bad, but I don't propose the solution is to be as bad or worse...)

Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    The game's pretty fun, but man, the campaign is LONG. I've been playing the same campaign for more than two weeks now and I'm only finally getting close to the end. Getting coverage of the whole globe means you have to do a ton of missions defending settlements from alien attacks, and you need multiple teams spread across different continents.
    I mean, I should hope it would take a good few tens of hours to play; my last X-Com 2 game was a good 120+ hours (and I wasn't writing it up this time)...

Don't suppose there's anything like the X-Com 2 photobooth is there? that's a feature that could do with becoming standard across all these sorts of games if there ever was one.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post

I liked that game until the Factions decided they wanted to fight and the enemies started getting powerful enough to kill my guys instantly even though recruiting was very expensive. Might give it another go to see if the tweaks have made it more fun. Weirdly humans where always more fun to fight than the pandorans which is abit of an issue.

7. - Top - End - #757

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I liked that game until the Factions decided they wanted to fight and the enemies started getting powerful enough to kill my guys instantly even though recruiting was very expensive. Might give it another go to see if the tweaks have made it more fun. Weirdly humans where always more fun to fight than the pandorans which is abit of an issue.
    Faction warfare has been slowed down a lot with the latest patch (Cthullu). I'm currently in mid-February, researching endgame tech, and the factions have barely hit -50 opinion with each other (war threshold is -75). At the current rate I should be able to finish the game before the faction war starts.

Which is good, because with the new patch the doom tracker has been replaced with a "human survival count" on the strategic map, and you lose if the global human population dips below a certain percentage. The game would be REALLY hard if you had to somehow stop the three groups murdering each other while somehow keeping them all alive. As it is, my current survival percentage is 70% or so, which is nowhere near the 20% mark that causes you to lose the game.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #758

Beat BotW this morning.

I'd say that the last dungeon was the most fun I've had doing a dungeon in any video game, ever. Between the hidden legendary weapons on racks or held by statures, or badguys "eating" in the dining room making them easier to sneak up on, or the fact that the clever use of Malice walls blocking off later levels of the castle until you take the "scenic route" to open up the interior as a shortcut.

It has multiple avenues for progress, whether that meant sneaking around sentries on the outside, finding secret entrances behind waterfalls, or going through the meat grinder by just stomping through the front door.

The boss fight, like most BotW boss fights, was disappointing. The final boss isn't any harder than a Lynel.

Had you pitted two generic Lynels against Link as the final boss, it would have been something that most Dark Souls players would find impossible.

Instead, we got a creepy spider Ganon thing that has 10 weapons but 4 attacks, and a giant Ganon boar boss that stands there until you hit 10 large bullseyes on his body while riding a horse and using a bow with infinite ammo.

I spent more HP recovery items against a single Guardian Turret on the outside of the castle.

Ending was disappointing, but the game was good up till then.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-08-15 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #759
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Beat BotW this morning.

Ending was disappointing, but the game was good up till then.
    Agree on both points, the ending dungeon was fun but the actual final boss felt pretty meh. The other thing that bothered me in the final, final fight was: I just spent a bunch of time getting the best weapons and all sorts of special upgrades and... nope, you have to fight him with this one bow thing which is the same no matter what you do. Why did I spend all that time prepping?

Did you do the chamber under the maze (far northeast corner of the map)? Now that was a fight.

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Agree on both points, the ending dungeon was fun but the actual final boss felt pretty meh. The other thing that bothered me in the final, final fight was: I just spent a bunch of time getting the best weapons and all sorts of special upgrades and... nope, you have to fight him with this one bow thing which is the same no matter what you do. Why did I spend all that time prepping?

Did you do the chamber under the maze (far northeast corner of the map)? Now that was a fight.
    Oh yeah, the Guardian graveyard fight. That was crazy fun. The fact that they put in 2 walker Guardians that were pretending to be dead while you dodge the 4 turrets was pretty genius, if something of a douchebag move. Thankfully, I had half the sense to use my camera on all of the "dead" Guardians to see which ones were living and just avoided those areas while I picked off the turrets. I'd feel bad for anyone who tried to take cover behind one of them, though. That'd be a bad case of the Mondays.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

The big problem with BotW's difficulty is that every enemy has easily exploitable weaknesses. The only foes that don't become a joke after you kill a few of them are Lynels, and those give you absurdly powerful weapons after you beat them. Everything else is a "oh, that's how you make these not matter" moment.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

So, tried to play Soul Calibur 6 online today, and ran headfirst into an annoying reality of the game: it just does not have many players. After a half-hour searching for matches on ranked where I found only one, I went and checked in the only other online mode, the lobbies. There were a few, but only a couple where the players had decent connections to me. I played some rounds there, but the thing that I hate about those kinds of lobbies quickly reared its head - if you lose, you need to wait through a bunch of other peoples' matches in order to play again. Sometimes I'm okay with that, but normally I just want to play as much as possible, and that gets in the way of it a lot, especially when I'm coming back to a game I haven't played in almost two years, and was never that good at to begin with.

Also, doesn't help that the game was not even allowing me to spectate the other players' matches some of the time. Can't figure out why - it just sometimes let me and sometimes didn't, no apparent rhyme or reason I could see. Gets pretty boring just sitting there staring at nothing, waiting for the other players' match to finish.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll even bother trying again. Which is a shame, I just bought 2B and one of the DLC character creator packs they put out, and was enjoying that character and made some new customer characters that I like. And I'm definitely happy with the option to turn off outfit destruction they added recently. But if I just can't get matches except in a lobby system that's going to make me wait an extra 5-10 minutes (or more, depending on how many people are in the lobby) in between matches, what's the point?
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

SC6 was a huge disappointment for me. Most everything was good, but the crappy rock-paper-scissors mechanic ruined the flow of every match.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    SC6 was a huge disappointment for me. Most everything was good, but the crappy rock-paper-scissors mechanic ruined the flow of every match.
    I never had a problem with reversal edge myself. If done blindly, it can always be side-stepped for a huge punish; if done intelligently, hey, fair game. And honestly, with the way that the benefits of each of the three possible hits varied from character to character, I enjoyed the sort of complex mind-games the clash sequence could add (i.e. "I know this character gets a big reward off their vertical strike; is this player the sort who will go for that because of it, or are they more likely to guess that I'll counter that because of it?"). And if what I've been reading is right, it was nerfed in later patches - it no longer triggers the clash sequence on block when fully charged and is no longer guaranteed after parrying an attack, you have to land it in order to enter the clash.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #765
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Subnautica is next on my list of unplayed games to play- any reccomendations for a new player?
    To be honest, it's a lot more fun going in blind and discovering stuff for yourself. The only slightly annoying part of that is that you have to find specific blueprints to, for example, unlock building the big submarine that allows you to go deeper, and then *other* blueprints to upgrade it to the max depth possible that will be needed to finish the storyline, and that can be a bit of a random process.

One thing I will say: when building a base, be sure to pay attention to the hull strength. This goes down when adding new modules, and up if you add reinforcements to the base. If the hull strength goes below 0 then you'll start getting flooding and that's a real pain to deal with.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Banned

Go into it blind. It's such a great experience when you're exploring and discovering everything the first time.

If you find yourself stuck and don't know what to do, either listen to radio messages or look for ways to go deeper.

Oh. Also play on the filmic setting if you can tolerate it. It decreases visibility but makes the colors more vibrant and amps up the atmosphere. It's how the game is meant to be experienced.

If the decreased visibility is bothering you then you can turn it off, but I would at least try it first.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2020-08-16 at 03:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, tried to play Soul Calibur 6 online today, and ran headfirst into an annoying reality of the game: it just does not have many players. After a half-hour searching for matches on ranked where I found only one, I went and checked in the only other online mode, the lobbies. There were a few, but only a couple where the players had decent connections to me. I played some rounds there, but the thing that I hate about those kinds of lobbies quickly reared its head - if you lose, you need to wait through a bunch of other peoples' matches in order to play again. Sometimes I'm okay with that, but normally I just want to play as much as possible, and that gets in the way of it a lot, especially when I'm coming back to a game I haven't played in almost two years, and was never that good at to begin with.

Also, doesn't help that the game was not even allowing me to spectate the other players' matches some of the time. Can't figure out why - it just sometimes let me and sometimes didn't, no apparent rhyme or reason I could see. Gets pretty boring just sitting there staring at nothing, waiting for the other players' match to finish.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll even bother trying again. Which is a shame, I just bought 2B and one of the DLC character creator packs they put out, and was enjoying that character and made some new customer characters that I like. And I'm definitely happy with the option to turn off outfit destruction they added recently. But if I just can't get matches except in a lobby system that's going to make me wait an extra 5-10 minutes (or more, depending on how many people are in the lobby) in between matches, what's the point?
    That's one thing that really, really bugs me about fighting games: How hard is it to make a decent matchmaking system for a 1v1 game? It's probably the easiest form of matchmaking you could every get in a game!

5th Edition Homebrewery

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

The Aurora wreck is on the east side of the playable space. That fact of orientation will help immensely.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    One thing I will say: when building a base, be sure to pay attention to the hull strength. This goes down when adding new modules, and up if you add reinforcements to the base. If the hull strength goes below 0 then you'll start getting flooding and that's a real pain to deal with.
    Minor caveat: that only applies if you’re building underwater. If your base is over the waves you can ignore reinforcement.

That said, there are a few modules later in the game that can be problematic if you build them in open air.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Banned

I've never had many issues with base durability. It's an easy fix even if you accidentally break it. Sometimes I'll even let them fill with water so I can traverse them faster from my moonpool. There's also a bug where if you leave a flooded moonpool with your seaglide you gain super speed. It breaks the game, but can be fun to play around with.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Friend of mine gave me a copy of "Night of the Rabbit", cute little point & click game that's caught my attention. You're a human child who's become the magician's apprentice to a rabbit.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    That's one thing that really, really bugs me about fighting games: How hard is it to make a decent matchmaking system for a 1v1 game? It's probably the easiest form of matchmaking you could every get in a game!
    Now, granted I do recall SC6's matchmaking being notably slow even when the game first came out... but I don't necessarily think that's the issue here. It's a fighting game that's almost two years old and is neither one of the big, popular ones (Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Smash Brothers), nor is it a licensed game based on a very popular franchise (such as Dragon Ball FighterZ). The daily active player base has probably just dwindled that much at this point, so finding games on ranked is no longer very practical, as most of the few remaining players just stick to lobbies. Happens to most fighting games at some point, and unless you're one of those big names, typically a couple of years after release is enough to do it.

I'd just forgotten about how much of an issue that was likely to be in this case, since I've spent the past couple of years either playing games that are relatively insulated from that issue (Smash and DBFZ), or one where the lobby system is better and doesn't induce those annoying wait times while other people play (BlazBlue Cross Tag).

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

It may also be harder in a 1v1 game, since you need both players to be well matched. If you've got bigger teams, you can average out player skill, which will also tend to minimize the error due to your observed skill not being your real skill.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Minor caveat: that only applies if you’re building underwater. If your base is over the waves you can ignore reinforcement.
    Yeah, but who builds an above-water base in a game called Subnautica?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, but who builds an above-water base in a game called Subnautica?
    Anyone who wants to build a 1,000+ meter bridge out of pure glass, or anyone playing during early access who wants a base that doesn’t flood after a patch that tweaks all the durability values. (Admittedly the latter is no longer an issue with vanilla Subnautica, but it was a thing at one point.)
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-08-16 at 04:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've back in Battle Brothers trying out the new Blazing Deserts DLC.

My first attempt was with the Gladiator origin, but I pretty quickly got frustrated dealing with the diva gladiators that make up the core of your company in that origin. They aren't as crazy good as the Lone Wolf player character, and their upkeep cost is absurd. I quickly found that I couldn't explore any of the new stuff in the DLC because I was tied to the arena to keep the greedyguts in the manner to which they had become accustomed.

So I ditched that lot and tried an origin I've never managed to make work - the Trade Caravan origin. The original game wasn't set up for caravan simulation and it showed, which led to the trade caravan ignoring the "trading" part of the origin and just becoming a mercenary company like any other.

With this DLC? It works amazingly. The discounts make a huge difference when you're buying in bulk from the southern city states, and the existence of trade hubs means that you can actually set up a legitimate "caravan route". I got into a nice pattern quickly - complete a couple contracts to clear any bad conditions in the city states, then buy their stuff at discounted rates. Travel up through the small villages, clearing out any brigands along the way and buying their trade goods. Arrive at a big city and sell everything for an absolute fortune. Grab a caravan contract from the big city that's heading back south and repeat.

Unfortunately, my plan appears to have backfired a little bit for the Holy War crisis. Because I spend a lot of time on the road I'm selective with my contracts, which means that nobody has strong feelings of loyalty to me. The noble contracts in particular are higher risk and lower reward than just buying and selling stuff, so I'm a virtual unknown to the nobility. As a result, nobody wants me to help with the Holy War! I'm a month into the crisis and haven't been offered any contracts. If I do insert myself into a combat I risk angering the towns where I do all my trading.

I can't believe I actually miss the hordes of Undead.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Picked up Total War Troy and I'm really enjoying it.

I hadn't planned on getting it, despite being a long time total war player. I didn't like the idea of it being an Epic exclusive. Luckily I saw some youtubers playing it early and they were enjoying it and it looked fun, so I picked it up when it was for free and I'm glad I did.

I much prefer it over 3K. I found 3K shallow - it looked pretty but it became a monotonous grind very quickly, especially given all armies felt very muck like clones of each other. The improvement of diplomacy and sieges was welcomed, but given combat is a very big part of the game, that fact that it felt lacking played a big part of that.

So going in, with the memory of Thrones of Britannia and the Epic exclusive colouring my initial views of the game, I had a remarkable turn around. It isn't the best total war game ever (my favourite still remains Empire), but it is fun. The heroes all have interesting mechanics and play different, even on the battlefield.

The battle maps have a lot more detail and encourage the use of tactics. My very first battle I took a while to actually find where the enemy was given all the trees and hills around. They also had the ranged advantage with their slingers and javelin troops, which could have caused problems but I had managed to sneak my light troops undetected through the trees onto their flank and were able to get in among their ranged troops and drive them off before turning on their infantry and hitting them from behind. Flanking manoeuvres are very important in Troy. And the AI does it as well. A number of times I've had AI troops appear out of nowhere on my flanks having snuck around through the terrain.

The other thing I like is that they are using a proper resource system rather than just gold - in this case grain, stone, timber, bronze and gold. If you are short on one you can trade with other nations, which helps foster relations. And you will need them, as the game is based on the Trojan war and so heads towards two large alliances duking it out.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

Subnautica, 2 hours in.

So I think I'm stabilized now. I've figured out how to get food, filtered water, and the basic rock-type resources. I've built a scanner, seaglide, enlarged o2 tank, flippers, repair tool, and a few other things. I have the lead for a rad suit, but not the right kind of cloth- It's probably going to be a matter of hunting for the right ind of fish again- I died to lack of water once, and almost a second time before I discovered the right fish for filtered water. I missed the seapods for lubricant until I started reading the description of the thing I couldnt find and realized it referred to somethig I had seen.

I usually die to lack of oxygen after missing the 30 second warning. it feels inconsistant, but i could just be getting caught up in things and miss it. the seaglide should help.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Fabric doesn't smell fishy. Just saying.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

30. - Top - End - #780
    Banned

Sometimes you can cut things with the knife for new resources, if you missed that mechanic.