Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Elemental Blade - PEACH

ELEMENTAL BLADE
    10 Level Prestige Class

Description: (Fluff to follow)
    Hit Die: d6

Requirements
    Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks, Concentration 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Feats: Energy Substitution (any), Martial Weapon Proficiency (any melee)
    Spells: Ability to cast Arcane spells of 2nd level

Elemental Blade
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Elemental Resistance 5, Energy Blade +1d6|-

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Elemental Movement, Energy Substitution|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Energy Blade +2d6|-

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Elemental Resistance 10, Energy Substitution|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Energy Blade +3d6, Swift Charge|-

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Elemental Defense, Energy Substitution|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Elemental Resistance 15, Energy Blade +4d6|-

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Energy Substitution|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Energy Blade +5d6|-

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Elemental Resistance 20, Full Charge|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class [/table]

Class Skills
    The Elemental Blade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge(the planes) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Elemental Blades gain no proficiency with any weapons or armors.

Spells: At every even numbered level gained in the Elemental Blade class, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class he sbelonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an Elemental Blade, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Elemental Resistance: The Elemental Blade's attunement to the elements make her resilient to damage from such sources. The character has Resistence 5 against any 1 type of element damage that she has Energy Substitution for, which is chosen at the beginning of each day from the following list: Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, or Sonic. This Resistance increases to +10 at level 4, +15 at level 7, and +20 at level 10. At any time as a Full Round action she may reselect which energy type this ability applies to.

Energy Substitution: At 2nd level, the Elemental Blade gains Energy Substitution as a bonus feat. She gains this bonus feat again at 4th, 6th, and 8th level.

Energy Blade: The Elemental Blade can channel the power of the elements into any held melee weapon. Each morning she chooses 1 element that she has Energy Substitution for from the following list: Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, or Sonic. As a move action, the character can charge his weapon to do an extra +1d6 damage on his next melee attack of any the chosen energy type. This damage increases to +2d6 at 3rd level, +3d6 at 5th level, +4d6 at 7th level, and +5d6 at 9th level.

Elemental Movement: Starting at 2nd level, the Elemental Blade is able to grant herself alternate types of movement by harnessing the energy of specific elements. She may use any ability to which she has Energy Substitution to the corresponding element, per the following table:

{table=head]Element|Movement Type|Speed|Special

Air (Electric)|Fly|
    |Perfect Maneuverability

Earth (Acid)|Burrow|
    |-

Fire|Flicker|
    -
    |Movement does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity

Sonic|Acceleration|
    +30
    |Enhancement bonus to Land Speed

Water (Cold)|Swim|
    |Can also breathe underwater.
    [/table]

Only one Elemental movement type may be used at a time. This ability requires a swift action to activate. Duration is (3 + Con modifier) rounds, minimum 1. Usable (Class Level times / Day).

Elemental Defense: Upon reaching 6th level, the Elemental Blade can infuse her body with the different elements, granting herself various defensive qualities. She may use any ability to which she has Energy Substitution to the corresponding element, per the following table:

{table=head]Element|Ability|Description

Air (Electricity)|Lightning Speed|The character gains a Dodge bonus to her Armor Class equal to her Class Level.

Earth (Acid)|Riposte|Wounds from melee attacks deal 1d4/Class Level Acid damage to the attacker. Ref 1/2, DC 10 + Class Level + Con Modifier

Fire|Inner Fire| Fast Healing equal to her Class Level

Sonic|Deflect Projectiles|1 ranged weapon attack per Class Level automatically misses the character each round.

Water (Cold)|Ice Form|Character's skin forms a hard coating of Ice which grants a Damage Reduction (Class Level) / -
    [/table]

Only one Elemental Defense ability may be used at a time. This ability requires a swift action to activate. Duration is (3 + Con modifier) rounds, minimum 1. Usable (Class Level times / Day).

Swift Charge: At 5th level the Elemental Blade has become so adept at charging her weapon with her Energy Blade ability that she can now do so as a Swift action instead of a move action. The charge is still expended after one attack, however, even if a Full Attack action is made.

Full Charge: At 10th level, the Elemental Blade has mastered the usage of her Energy Blade to the point where she can now charge the weapon as a free action. This allows her to use the Energy Blade ability on multiple attacks in the same round. Doing so is draining to the character, however. Any time the Elemental Blade uses her Energy Blade ability more than once in the same round she cannot activate it on her next turn.
    Last edited by DLoFunk; 2011-11-10 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Overhaul

2. - Top - End - #2

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Elemental Blade - PEACH

First attempt at a homebrew PrC. Thoughts?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't look bad, but the formatting is a bit off. Usually the class table goes at the start. You're also missing a bit of fluff about the class as a whole as well as "Becoming an Elemental Blade".

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4

BarbarianGuy

Moved the Table up. Thanks for the tip.

I still need to right the fluff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Been reading through a little more thoroughly. At first glance I thought that you had to select a single element upon entering the class (Likely the same one that you had the feat for) but it appears that that is not so. This means that for the features that are element-dependent the Blade has access to all of the variations, not just one. That's quite powerful. I'd advise you to consider limiting the class to a single element, or otherwise at least making the character choose a single element each day.

I don't think that there's "Water Damage". We just have Cold.

You state that the duration of Elemental Movement and Elemental Defense is equal to the Con modifier of the Blade. Firstly, I must point out that not everyone has a Con bonus. What if you have a penalty? I'd add in "With a minimum of one". This brings me to the second point. You don't specify the unit of time. I'd assume that it's rounds, but you don't state this.

Now going through the specific abilities in Elemental Defense and Movement.

Edit: Flame Shield: Concealment only comes in 20% (Partial) or 50% (Total). 100% miss chance to ranged attacks.... What? Not to mention, shouldn't you include something about it BURNING? Perhaps something along the lines of dealing damage to melee attackers? More like the actual Fire Shield spell?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-05-14 at 05:44 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

Cut the Resistance and Energy Blade down to Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, and Sonic. Also eliminated the ability to change it mid-day. You're right, they were overpowered as they were.

Not quite sure how to fix the Flame Shield concealment issue. I also don't want abilities to overlap, i.e. making the Flame Shield damage melee attackers makes the Acid ability redundant. Any ideas? I'd like it to stay a "something/class level" ability.
    Last edited by DLoFunk; 2011-05-14 at 06:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps the Acid one should damage the weapon instead of the wielder? Hmm.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

BarbarianGuy

got an overhaul in the works to not double up elements, like Water and Cold in the same ability. Ditto for Air and Electricity. Update soon.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I just wanted to state that I don't see any issue with the class having access to multiple elements, since it's a partial-casting, partial-BAB class. You're entering this class in one of three ways:

1) Level four, with three levels in Duskblade, in which case strong class features would be the only thing preventing this class from being a blatant downgrade.

2) Level seven, with six levels in Wizard/Sorcerer/whatever, same as 1.

3) Level five, as a multiclassed caster/full BAB class. This is mechanically bad, unless you take levels in one of a number of full-Casting/full-BAB prestige classes - many of which have good class features to boot. See 1.

So really, don't obsess too much about this class being overpowered. In the worst case, it's no more powerful than the character would have already been; in the best case, you're giving a boost to a mechanically inferior playstyle.

I'll hold off on any further judgment until after you do the rewrite. One question - what balance point/tier/what-have-you are you aiming for?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the class, and I like the ability to switch elements every day. It changes the fluff from master of one to master of all. One problem I see is that it doesn't really seem like a caster Prestige Class. All the class features are melee oriented, and never really boost casting. I'd suggest changing the prerequisites and making it a full BAB class.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    I'll hold off on any further judgment until after you do the rewrite. One question - what balance point/tier/what-have-you are you aiming for?
    I actually already updated, i just forgot to bump it.

As for tiers and such, that stuff is unknown to me.

12. - Top - End - #12

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I like the class, and I like the ability to switch elements every day. It changes the fluff from master of one to master of all. One problem I see is that it doesn't really seem like a caster Prestige Class. All the class features are melee oriented, and never really boost casting. I'd suggest changing the prerequisites and making it a full BAB class.
    Ya know, I had gone back and forth as to whether this should be a caster class at all. I went with caster because Energy Substitution just seemed way too perfect as a prereq. But yeah, I suppose I could lessen the Caster Prereqs a bit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DLoFunk View Post

As for tiers and such, that stuff is unknown to me.
    For the original tier list read here.

Essentially Wizards, Clerics, and Druids are at tier 1, the top. They can break the game in a large amount of ways. At Tier 3 are the ToB classes, Bard, and limited caster classes like the Beguiler. This is the balance point most people try to aim for. Tier 5 is the likes of the Fighter and Monk, classes which are just not as good as other classes, especially at what they try to do.

Also applicable to this class is system for prestige class tiers.
    Last edited by Dumbledore lives; 2011-05-14 at 11:58 PM.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

14. - Top - End - #14

BarbarianGuy

Changed Prereq's. Swapped Combat Casting for Run which given the Movement ability seems quite fitting. Dropped the Knowledge prereq from 6 to 4 so only 1 level of caster is really required, which is good as it's casting is more of a back-seat ability. I'm considering upping the BAB req from 3 to 4 or 5 to compensate. Think so? or is early entry suitable?

Edit: Thanks for the links. I scanned them and quickly realized I am uninterested in the whole "Tier" thing. But at least I now know what people are talking about when the talk about it, so thanks again.
    Last edited by DLoFunk; 2011-05-15 at 12:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BarbarianGuy

Is it just me or do the Con Modifier durations seem too short? Maybe I should up them to something like 3 + Level?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, how did I overlook that? Standard procedure is to make PrCs such that they cannot be entered prior to level 6. You can go against that, but it's not common and usually warrants a bit of explanation.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Wow, how did I overlook that? Standard procedure is to make PrCs such that they cannot be entered prior to level 6. You can go against that, but it's not common and usually warrants a bit of explanation.
    Makes sense. How to do it however...

+5 BAB seems too high with casting ability also required, and raising one of the skills to 8 ranks seem also seems high unless there's a non-caster skill I could throw in. Only needing 1 level of wizard makes 8 ranks in knowledge seem unreasonable to me. Am I wrong? Does it seem appropriate to you?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

+5 BAB seems too high with casting ability also required, and raising one of the skills to 8 ranks seem also seems high unless there's a non-caster skill I could throw in. Only needing 1 level of wizard makes 8 ranks in knowledge seem unreasonable to me. Am I wrong? Does it seem appropriate to you?
    Well, you determine what kind of character would enter a PrC by the entry requirements. What class mix are you looking for? Half and half with an Arcane Caster and a full BAB class? Or all the full BAB with a single level of the Arcane?

Using skill ranks is usually a decent way to regulate entry, but with a theurge class like this, that doesn't really work. So I'd focus primarily on the casting and BAB. For the Half and Half, go BAB +3, Able to cast second level Arcane spells. For the Mostly Full BAB go BAB +4, Able to cast first level Arcane spells.

Then again, you may not be looking for a Full BAB class to enter into this anyways. For example, the Swashbuckler seems like they should be able to enter. In that case, going the skill route really does seem better. It'll be a bit costly if the skill isn't available to both sides, but it is possible.

So it really comes down to who you want to enter the class.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

BarbarianGuy

+4 BAB seems like the way to go.

<changed>

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still new to homebrewing and can use all the tips you guys give.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Oh ah. Indeed.

Edit: Thanks for the links. I scanned them and quickly realized I am uninterested in the whole "Tier" thing. But at least I now know what people are talking about when the talk about it, so thanks again.
    Just realize that since you aren't setting a standard, you're not going to get a clear consensus on whether the class is balanced or not.

I don't see a problem with early qualification; there's plenty of PrCs that allow entry before sixth. Also keep in mind that Energy Substitution requires 5 ranks of Know(Arcana) and another metamagic feat to qualify. Other requirements aside, that's three feats to enter. You're not going to meet that requirement until sixth level unless you're human (third level) or spent a wizard bonus feat on Energy Sub (fifth level).

If you do want to bump it up, the best way to do it would be to require 2nd-level spells and BAB +3, combined with the feat requirements. That means at earliest it takes being a human and five levels of duskblade (six if you're not human), being a human and three levels of another arcane caster/two of any full BAB class (plus another level in either if you're not human), or six levels of a caster in order to qualify.

You can also replace Run with, say, proficiency in all martial weapons. That keeps the entry levels for the human duskblade and warrior/caster at sixth, brings the entry level for non-humans to the same as for humans, and prevents you from entering as a pure caster (which I don't think you want). It also prevents the odd Bard entry, unlikely as it may be.

Elemental Resistance seems a little odd in that you select a single element for the whole day, while the other abilities let you use multiple elements over the course of the day. Maybe let you change it as a full round action, or a minute if you really don't want people to do it in combat?

Energy Blade is cool, though I would suggest moving Swift Charge to fifth level.

Elemental Movement and Elemental Defense are good. The 3+Con modifier durations are fine, since any decent warrior is going to have respectable Constitution.

Suggestion 1: Energy Substitution only lets you substitute one type of energy, selected when you take the feat, though you can take the feat multiple times. Perhaps give Energy Substitution as a bonus feat on even levels? You can even go a step further and tie www.giantitp.comit, i.e. you can only use the abilities that correspond to the energy types that you have Energy Substitution for. Gives it more of a scaling power curve.

Suggestion 2: Have you considered expanding the class to other damage types? Positive energy, negative energy, force, dessication, etc?
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2011-05-15 at 11:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Suggestion 1: Energy Substitution only lets you substitute one type of energy, selected when you take the feat, though you can take the feat multiple times. Perhaps give Energy Substitution as a bonus feat on even levels? You can even go a step further and tie the class features to it, i.e. you can only use the abilities that correspond to the energy types that you have Energy Substitution for.

Suggestion 2: Have you considered expanding the class to other damage types? Positive energy, negative energy, force, dessication, etc?
    1: I was thinking something along the same lines. It would make sense if the features corresponded to the specific element which the Blade had been specializing in, whether or not they have the ability to gain access to the other elements.

2: Problem with this is that it conflicts with 1. You can't get Energy Substitution (Force). Also, I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as "Dessication" damage. I thought that it fell under Negative Energy. Also, I am unaware of a Positive Energy spell that harms an opponent, though there likely is one. Nevertheless, this class is the Elemental Blade, not the Energy Blade. It could potentially be expanded, but I wouldn't do so without some consideration. Additionally, Negative and Positive seem more like they'd be used with a Divine version of this class...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

2: Problem with this is that it conflicts with 1. You can't get Energy Substitution (Force).
    Class feature, maybe. "When you take Energy Substitution, you can also select X, Y, and Z."

Also, I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as "Dessication" damage. I thought that it fell under Negative Energy.
    It was introduced in Sandstorm. Not a common source, I admit, but interesting.

Also, I am unaware of a Positive Energy spell that harms an opponent, though there likely is one.
    Probably, but even if there isn't...
    "I charge my sword!"
    *THWACK*
    "Hey, I feel better!"

Nevertheless, this class is the Elemental Blade, not the Energy Blade. It could potentially be expanded, but I wouldn't do so without some consideration. Additionally, Negative and Positive seem more like they'd be used with a Divine version of this class...
    So where's the Elemental Plane of Acid? Elemental Plane of Sonic? Heck, in standard cosmology, Positive and Negative have their own planes situated similarly to Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, so they're arguably more of an element than Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Sonic. D&D elements don't really make sense, and what's considered an element is entirely arbitrary.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

So where's the Elemental Plane of Acid? Elemental Plane of Sonic? Heck, in standard cosmology, Positive and Negative have their own planes situated similarly to Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, so they're arguably more of an element than Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Sonic. D&D elements don't really make sense, and what's considered an element is entirely arbitrary.
    There is no "Earth" damage. Acid takes its place. Sonic is just... weird. But if Positive Energy were to be added, it would make sense for it to heal. Healing is almost entirely in the purview of Divine magic.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

BarbarianGuy

As I understand it, there are elements and then there are associated energies that go with them.

Earth -> Acid
    Air -> Electric
    Water -> Cold
    Fire -> Fire (yeah, I know)

The addition of Sonic, I believe, is like Fire where it's both the Element and the Energy type.

Thats how I laid out the Movements and Defenses. Elements in one and Energies in the other.

I agree that Positive and Negative are really Divine territory and as such unfitting.

25. - Top - End - #25

BarbarianGuy

Just realize that since you aren't setting a standard, you're not going to get a clear consensus on whether the class is balanced or not.
    Personally the whole "Tier" concept feels like it goes against the idea of "Balance" to me. Tier 1 = Balanced only if nothing is Balanced. Tier 5 and below = Same. Tier 3 = Balanced as long as no one is using anything unbalanced.

I've always looked at content as Balanced vs Unbalanced, not Balanced vs Balanced but not as compared to other "Balanced" content.

If you do want to bump it up, the best way to do it would be to require 2nd-level spells and BAB +3, combined with the feat requirements. That means at earliest it takes being a human and five levels of duskblade (six if you're not human), being a human and three levels of another arcane caster/two of any full BAB class (plus another level in either if you're not human), or six levels of a caster in order to qualify.

You can also replace Run with, say, proficiency in all martial weapons. That keeps the entry levels for the human duskblade and warrior/caster at sixth, brings the entry level for non-humans to the same as for humans, and prevents you from entering as a pure caster (which I don't think you want). It also prevents the odd Bard entry, unlikely as it may be.
    I like this. More modifications in the works.

Elemental Resistance seems a little odd in that you select a single element for the whole day, while the other abilities let you use multiple elements over the course of the day. Maybe let you change it as a full round action, or a minute if you really don't want people to do it in combat?
    That was the original mechanic but I nerfed it to 1 per day after posting it. Perhaps this should be changed back?

Energy Blade is cool, though I would suggest moving Swift Charge to fifth level.
    I agree, however I am not thrilled with leaving a 1 dead level with 9 good ones. (Fix possible with the Energy Substitution idea below)

Suggestion 1: Energy Substitution only lets you substitute one type of energy, selected when you take the feat, though you can take the feat multiple times. Perhaps give Energy Substitution as a bonus feat on even levels?
    Great idea. Fits thematically and give a small but needed boost to the casting ability.
    Last edited by DLoFunk; 2011-05-15 at 12:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

BarbarianGuy

Ok, major overhaul.

Swapped Run for Martial Weapon in prereqs.

Gave Resistance a swap out option as a Full Round action.

Moved Swift Charge to 5th.

Added Energy Substitution as a bonus feat at 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th.

Nerfed ALL abilities to so that only elements that have been mastered (Energy Sub) are selectable.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

This is an AWESOME class! I can just imagine a duskblade or a swashbuckler staring down a red dragon and smirking, then touching his sword and watching it freeze before gesturing tauntingly and saying something like "Come here, I've got something for you!"

Thematically speaking, it's like the Enlightened Fist class from Complete Arcane, except it applies to classes who can actually stay in melee for a long time (sorry monk, but d8 HD, no armor and 3/4 BAB do not combine well with 4 levels of sorcerer). As cool as punching things with fire is, putting it on a sword or an axe seems even better, and I really like image you chose to represent it.

Okay. Done critiquing the fluff, now for the class itself.

Seems I got here after all the pre-req stuff got sorted out so I'll leave that alone. I want to start by saying that I really like the Energy Substitution requirement and bonus feats and how they tie into the class. It makes the prestige class feel much more like advancement than most of them do, because you gain class features and then retroactively add new elements to them, instead of starting with all five elements and learning new class features. So kudos on that choice.

I would like to point out, however, that with the flavor of the class AND the class features, you might want to impose a certain restriction, namely, that the pre-req Martial Weapon Proficiency should only count if it applies to a melee weapon. (A wizard who took Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longbow) wouldn't be able to get into this class, would he?)

The capstone is good, the spellcasting progression is balanced, and taking Elemental Charge away for a full round after they burst it as a free action is also balanced, however, the way you've set it up now means that the Elemental Blade can charge their swords before making attacks of opportunity. (Which, at level 10 in a prestige class, seems totally fair in my opinion, just wanted to point that out) If you didn't like that, my suggestion would be to change it to "Free action that you may only use during your turn".

Great class. Hopefully I can get my next DM to let me playtest it!

Edit: Something else that I thought of: If this character spends most of his time studying and perfecting elemental based spells (The majority of which, at least evocation wise, allow Ref saves for half), I think he should have developed some knowledge about avoiding them. So maybe switch his good Fort to good Ref? If you think about it, Good Will for the arcane, good Fort for the BAB, and good Ref in the actual prestige class make for a pretty balanced character.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-05-15 at 06:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Duskblades enter this at level 5?

29. - Top - End - #29

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    This is an AWESOME class!
    Thank you!

...you might want to impose a certain restriction, namely, that the pre-req Martial Weapon Proficiency should only count if it applies to a melee weapon. (A wizard who took Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longbow) wouldn't be able to get into this class, would he?)
    How did I in all these years never realize the M.W.P. only gave proficiency with one specific weapon?!?! Ok, yeah, that DEFINITELY needs fixin'.

Edit: Something else that I thought of: If this character spends most of his time studying and perfecting elemental based spells (The majority of which, at least evocation wise, allow Ref saves for half), I think he should have developed some knowledge about avoiding them. So maybe switch his good Fort to good Ref? If you think about it, Good Will for the arcane, good Fort for the BAB, and good Ref in the actual prestige class make for a pretty balanced character.
    Well, that's kind of what the Resistance ability is in there for, however, I just kinda guessed wildly on what the saves should be. I was actually thinking of going "Average" on all 3 rather than any Good or Bad ones, so I'm certainly open to advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Duskblades enter this at level 5?
    Duskblades don't get 2nd level spells until 5th level, thus qualifying them to enter at 6th.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

There is no "Earth" damage. Acid takes its place. Sonic is just... weird.
    As I understand it, there are elements and then there are associated energies that go with them.

Earth -> Acid
    Air -> Electric
    Water -> Cold
    Fire -> Fire (yeah, I know)

The addition of Sonic, I believe, is like Fire where it's both the Element and the Energy type.
    That's the convention, yes, but all I'm pointing out that it's entirely arbitrary. Not giving them access to Positive and Negative because those are typically used by divine casters is a perfectly valid reason, but doing it because "Those aren't elements!" is entirely silly. Just sayin'.

Personally the whole "Tier" concept feels like it goes against the idea of "Balance" to me. Tier 1 = Balanced only if nothing is Balanced. Tier 5 and below = Same. Tier 3 = Balanced as long as no one is using anything unbalanced.

I've always looked at content as Balanced vs Unbalanced, not Balanced vs Balanced but not as compared to other "Balanced" content.
    "Balanced" doesn't mean anything unless you're balancing it to something, and in D&D there is no clear standard. A wizard, even with the game-breaking exploits removed, is obviously more powerful and versatile than a rogue, who is more versatile than a fighter, and all of them are superior to monk. I personally tend to balance towards the aforementioned fixed wizard, while most of the people here probably go for the rogue or fighter level. So you're going to get some mixed voices on whether the class is balanced or not, s'all.

I think I've sidetracked enough, though. Back on topic.

How did I in all these years never realize the M.W.P. only gave proficiency with one specific weapon?!?! Ok, yeah, that DEFINITELY needs fixin'.
    Hence you require proficiency in ALL martial weapons, which is something you only get by taking a level in fighter/barbarian/whatever. That way, you don't have to worry about the hypothetical pure wizard grabbing MWP(Longbow) and getting into the class, nor does the character have to spend a(nother) precious feat.

Other than that, I'm not seeing much else to critique with the class. You can seriously justify whatever saves you want to give them, and the class features work well. Good job.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2011-05-15 at 08:20 PM.