New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Quick and sharp, or big and heavy? Your choice. [2 new PrCs]

Yea boy. Time for more of my creations. These two buggers would've been up last week, except that I couldn't come up with decent names for the classes, and I was having a case of writers block the size of New Jersey trying to whip up the flavor text (still not all that happy with that part). And I don't post incomplete projects. Just my way.

Anyways, these two PrCs almost built themselves in my head without me even trying. I simply tried to think of something that a front line combatant (fighters specifically) would be cool at doing, besides hitting things until they stop moving. So this is my attempt to give combat oriented characters a little flair, without digging too deeply into what defines them as a class or character.

So, read, enjoy, and critique.

The Adroit Blade v1.3
    Quick, nimble, deft, and deceptive. These are the qualities of an Adroit Blade. Adroit blades are usually warriors that believe that making the sure strike is often more beneficial than making the deep cut. They tend to be less strong, though more dexterous than other combatants of similar training, but that makes them no less dangerous to their opponents. In fact, one of the adroit blade’s key talents is misleading his target into thinking that he is about to do one thing, and then do another. After all, the surest strike is one they don’t expect.
    Adroit blades are often fighters with a more finessed fighting style, as opposed to the more straight forward assault styles of other fighters. Rangers also find the skills that this training can provide worthy of some of their attentions. Occasionally, even the more combat oriented rogues have been known to become adroit blades. Usually with deadly efficient results.
    Hit Die: d10

Requirements
    To qualify to become an Adroit Blade, must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +5
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Weapon Focus (any light or one-handed slashing weapon)

Class Skills
    The Adroit Blade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skill Points Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Art of the deceptive blade, disarming surprise

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Deflecting shield

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Deadly slash

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Effective shielding

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Hamstringing strike[/table]

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Adroit Blade gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Art of the Deceptive Blade: An Adroit Blade focuses on catching his opponents off balance, so that he might deliver a more dangerous blow than he could by simply charging them head on. As such, adroit blade's get much practice in the art of being misleading and deceitful in battle. An adroit blade gains a bonus equal to his class levels to all bluff checks he makes as part of a feint attempt, but only while using a light or one-handed weapon for which the Adroit Blade possesses the Weapon Focus feat. Additionally, an Adroit Blade has learned to perform his feints with great alacrity. As long as an Adroit Blade is using a light or one-handed weapon for which he possesses the Weapon Focus feat, he may make feint attempts as a swift action.

Disarming Surprise (Ex): An Adroit Blade can surprise his opponents by using his attacks to not only injure, but to also disarm them. If the Adroit Blade makes a successful feint attempt against an opponent before attacking, and then strikes that opponent before the beginning of his next turn, the Adroit Blade may make a free disarm attempt against that opponent. This ability is only usable with a light or one-handed weapon for which the Adroit Blade possesses the Weapon Focus feat.

Deflecting Shield (Ex): An Adroit Blade learns how to better deflect incoming ranged attacks with his shield. If the Adroit Blade has a shield equipped, he gains the benefit of the Deflect Arrows feat, except that he can deflect a number of arrows per round equal to his class level. As with the Deflect Arrows feat, the Adroit Blade cannot benefit from this ability if he is flat-footed, or otherwise unaware of the incoming attack.

Deadly Slash (Ex): An Adroit Blade learns to make his strikes especially dangerous when he catches an opponent off guard. If the Adroit Blade makes a successful feint attempt against an opponent before attacking, and then strikes that opponent before the beginning of his next turn, the Adroit Blade’s strike deals damage as normal plus the wound bleeds for one point of damage per round thereafter until a Heal check (DC 15) is made, any cure spell is applied, or a number of rounds equal to the Adroit Blade’s class level have elapsed. Multiple wounds are cumulative, but creatures without discernable anatomies such as constructs, undead, and plants are immune to this effect. This ability is only usable with a light or one-handed weapon for which the Adroit Blade possesses the Weapon Focus feat.

Effective Shielding (Ex): When an Adroit Blade is focused more on defending himself than other activities, he has learned to better utilize his shield with increased effect. If an Adroit Blade has a shield equipped and is fighting defensively, the AC bonus granted by the shield increases by 1. If the Adroit Blade has a shield equipped and is using the Total Defense action, then the bonus to AC granted by the shield increases by 2.

Hamstringing Strike (Ex): At 5th level, the Adroit Blade has learned how to not only wear his opponent down, but to deal severe bodily damage as well. If the Adroit Blade makes a successful feint attempt against an opponent before attacking, and then strikes that opponent before the beginning of his next turn, the Adroit Blade’s attack instead deals half normal damage, plus 1d3 Dexterity damage. Creatures that have no discernable anatomies, or are immune to critical hit damage, are immune to this effect. This ability is only usable with a light or one-handed weapon for which the Adroit Blade possesses the Weapon Focus feat.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

The Smasher v1.0
    Smashers are typically fighters that believe the best way to deal with a problem is to hit it, as hard as they are physically capable of doing, until the problem is either no longer a threat or just plain dead. Smashers believe that there is no obstacle that can’t be overcome with the application of enough force, and therefore focus their training on using their large weapons to the most damaging effect. This training often gives them a damaging edge over other combatants, though their accuracy may sometimes leave something to be desired.
    Smashers are almost exclusively fighters, for whom the training goes hand-in-hand with their already combat oriented nature. The occasional barbarian also finds the class to be a welcome addition to their already deadly rages. Paladins and rangers, though more than capable of taking up the mantle of a smasher, often find that the methodology doesn’t always mesh well with their particular brands of combat.
    Hit Die: d10

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Smasher, must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +5
    Feats: Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Weapon Focus (any two-handed weapon)

Class Skills
    The Smasher class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skill Points Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Staggering Blow

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Heavy Sunder

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Improved Power Attack

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Follow Through

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Impacting Strike[/table]

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Smasher gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Staggering Blow (Ex): A Smasher can strike her opponent with such force that those on the receiving end find themselves seeing stars. As a standard action, the Smasher can make a Power Attack against an opponent, and upon successfully dealing damage, the opponent must make a Fortitude save. The DC for the saving throw is equal to 10 + the Smasher’s class levels + the Smasher’s Strength modifier. On a failed save, the damaged opponent is staggered for a number of rounds equal to the Smasher’s class levels. On a successful save, the damaged opponent is instead only shaken for 1 round. Creatures that are immune to critical hits are immune to the effects of this ability. This ability is only usable with a two-handed weapon for which the Smasher possesses the Weapon Focus feat.

Heavy Sunder (Ex): Everyone knows that destroying an opponent’s gear is a step towards victory. But a Smasher takes it a step further, by not only damaging her enemies’ defenses, but also injuring them at the same time. As a standard action, the Smasher makes a sunder attempt against her chosen target, using a Power Attack while doing so. On a successful hit, the person holding the targeted item takes one-half of the damage that the item receives, before calculating for hardness. The opponent takes this damage whether the item they are holding is destroyed or not.

Improved Power Attack (Ex): A Smasher learns to put as much of her strength as possible behind her power attacks. Beginning at 3rd level, a Smasher gains a +3 bonus on her melee damage rolls for every –1 penalty that she takes on her melee attack rolls when using the Power Attack feat. This ability only functions with a two-handed weapon for which the Smasher possesses the Weapon Focus feat. This benefit does not stack with the normal effects of Power Attack.

Follow Through (Ex): A Smasher eventually learns how to use the power and momentum of her Power Attacks to carry her weapon through to strike additional opponents beyond the first. As a full round action, the Smasher can make a single Power Attack against an opponent she threatens. If she successfully damages her target, she can then make an additional attack against one other opponent that she currently threatens. This second attack is made at a -4 penalty, in addition to the penalty that she took as part of her power attack. If the Smasher hits her secondary target, the damage dealt also includes the increase from her use of her Power Attack ability. This ability is only usable with a two-handed weapon for which the Smasher possesses the Weapon Focus feat.

Impacting Strike (Ex): At 5th level, the Smasher has learned how strike her opponents so hard that she can cause grievous bodily harm. As a standard action, the Smasher can make an Impacting Strike against an opponent she threatens. To make an Impacting strike, the Smasher must make it as a Power Attack. If the Smasher successfully strikes an opponent, she deals damage as normal, and in addition the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the Smasher’s class levels + the Smasher’s Strength modifier). If the opponent succeeds at this saving throw, they suffer no additional effects beyond the normal damage. If the saving throw fails, then the opponent takes 1 point of Constitution damage per 5 points of penalty that the Smasher applied to her attack roll as part of the Power Attack. Creatures that are immune to critical hits are also immune to the effects of this ability. This ability is only usable with a two-handed weapon for which the Smasher possesses the Weapon Focus feat.
    Last edited by FireSpark; 2007-11-14 at 01:14 PM.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Wanna check out all the nifty Homebrews I've done? Click Here! Hurry!

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

Come on in and give a shout out from where ever you are!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Quick and sharp, or big and heavy? Your choice. [2 new PrCs]

Wouldn't a shield weigh down the Adroit Blade?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Possibly allow the Adroit Blade to use the Einhander feat with any non-tower shield at 3rd level?

Just tried to remove a bit of the awkwardness in the fluff, while keeping the actual ideas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick, nimble, deft, and deceptive: these are the qualities of an Adroit Blade. Adroit blades are usually warriors that believe that making a sure strike is more beneficial than making a deep cut. They tend to be weaker, though more dexterous than other combatants of similar training, but that makes them no less dangerous to their opponents. In fact, one of the adroit blade’s key talents is misleading his target into thinking that he is about to do one thing, and then doing another. After all, the surest strike is one the enemy doesn’t expect.
    Adroit blades are often fighters with a more finesse-focused fighting style, as opposed to the more straight forward assault styles of other fighters. Rangers also find the skills that this training can provide worthy of some of their attentions. Occasionally, the more combat-oriented rogues have been known to become adroit blades, usually with deadly and efficient results.
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2007-10-25 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Why does adroit blade not have a bluff requirement?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Wouldn't a shield weigh down the Adroit Blade?
    The idea I was trying to get at is that the warrior's blade is what is being all elusive and misleading. Not necessarily all of him. And considering that a heavy steel shield is the heaviest of the typical shields (not counting towers) and weighs in at only 15 pounds, and is weighted to be used on the forearm, I don't think it would really throw one off by that much. Although, I suppose I could go in and add clarifying text to the class abilities, stating that the abilities don't work with a tower shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Palin View Post
    Possibly allow the Adroit Blade to use the Einhander feat with any non-tower shield at 3rd level?
    I must confess that I do not immediately recall that feat. Where can I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Why does adroit blade not have a bluff requirement?
    Namely because I designed the class to be taken by front line fighters. I wanted to give them a little bit of flair, so that their actions didn't always boil down to "I hit it again". At the same time, I didn't want to create a large PrC that would detract from whatever aspect that would be defining the character. Of the core classes, the only two that even have Bluff as a class skill are Bards, Rogues, and Sorcerers. If I were to add a Bluff ranks requirement, it would be in the neighbourhood of 3, maybe 4 tops.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

I like adroit blade a lot - it seems like a nice companion to the Invisible Blade PrC from Complete Warrior (one of my favourite prestige classes of all time) and is a nice duelist-style class.

Be aware, though, that feinting is incredibly hard without ranks in bluff. At the table, in my real experience, no front-line warrior ever has cause to feint. They can't spare the move action (from IMPROVED feint) to do so, and without bluff as a maxed-out class skill, you're competing against an opposed check of d20+sense motive (a much more common class skill) + BAB, which is a real tacticbreaker.

Improved Feint is an unfortunately-written feat - Most of the Combat Expertise line, like Improved Trip and Disarm, allow you to not lose an action, AND gain a bonus on the check, AND avoid an attack of op. Now, feinting doesn't provoke an attack of op to begin with, but it's a hard to get in a feint AND an attack unless you spend your whole turn right next to the enemy. Also, as mentioned, you're not getting the nice +4 bonus on the check (like Imp Trip and Disarm), against an especially hard opposed roll.

One way of making this more fighter worthy would be to whip up a class feature like:
    Superior Feint: You gain a +4 bonus on your bluff check to feint against your opponent. If you successfully feint against an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent.

The problem there is that Improved Feint is so strangely written that that sort of supercedes Improved Feint - maybe just have it replace the effects of Improved Feint. Not sure about that just yet...

One last thing worth mentioning - You'll find that this is a class more for rogues than perhaps intended. Front-Line fighters don't need to get their opponents flat-footed to hit them. They can usually hit A-OK, unless they're power-attacking, which it's more advantageous to do with a two-handed weapon than a light or one-handed, which nixes taking this class. Sword-and-board or TWFighters are the only fighters that would take this class, and they still don't need to worry as much about hitting (ok, maybe the TWF). The class that REALLY needs to worry about hitting, because of only a medium BAB, and which needs its opponents to be flatfooted, is he rogue. Face it - feinting's for rogues.
    My newest creation -
    The Daemon - A New Two-Weapon Fighting Expanded Base Class
    PEACH
    Spoiler
    Show

My homebrew projects -
    The Velocimancer [Base Class] (PEACH)
    Weak Spots Mechanic (PEACH)
    RPITP -
    My "To Build A Kingdom" Campaign.
    My character Videln Rijhad in The Scion of Kamlita (Garnet)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finerty View Post
    I like adroit blade a lot - it seems like a nice companion to the Invisible Blade PrC from Complete Warrior (one of my favourite prestige classes of all time) and is a nice duelist-style class.

Be aware, though, that feinting is incredibly hard without ranks in bluff. At the table, in my real experience, no front-line warrior ever has cause to feint. They can't spare the move action (from IMPROVED feint) to do so, and without bluff as a maxed-out class skill, you're competing against an opposed check of d20+sense motive (a much more common class skill) + BAB, which is a real tacticbreaker.

Improved Feint is an unfortunately-written feat - Most of the Combat Expertise line, like Improved Trip and Disarm, allow you to not lose an action, AND gain a bonus on the check, AND avoid an attack of op. Now, feinting doesn't provoke an attack of op to begin with, but it's a hard to get in a feint AND an attack unless you spend your whole turn right next to the enemy. Also, as mentioned, you're not getting the nice +4 bonus on the check (like Imp Trip and Disarm), against an especially hard opposed roll.

One way of making this more fighter worthy would be to whip up a class feature like:
    Superior Feint: You gain a +4 bonus on your bluff check to feint against your opponent. If you successfully feint against an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent.

The problem there is that Improved Feint is so strangely written that that sort of supercedes Improved Feint - maybe just have it replace the effects of Improved Feint. Not sure about that just yet...

One last thing worth mentioning - You'll find that this is a class more for rogues than perhaps intended. Front-Line fighters don't need to get their opponents flat-footed to hit them. They can usually hit A-OK, unless they're power-attacking, which it's more advantageous to do with a two-handed weapon than a light or one-handed, which nixes taking this class. Sword-and-board or TWFighters are the only fighters that would take this class, and they still don't need to worry as much about hitting (ok, maybe the TWF). The class that REALLY needs to worry about hitting, because of only a medium BAB, and which needs its opponents to be flatfooted, is he rogue. Face it - feinting's for rogues.

You make good and strong points all over. I confess that I had thought about granting bonuses to feint checks, but wasn't sure. Then after reading your post, then rereading the Improved Feint feat, I promptly smacked myself in the forehead. Granting additional bonuses to bluff checks when feinting would certainly help without overpowering. I'll be changing that after lunch for sure.

Thanks for pointing out the stuff about that feat.