New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default "Mystic Hand"[Base Class](Update #3)(In Testing)

EDIT:
    EDIT: As always this class is still a work in progress. I've been lucky enough to find somebody who is going to let me test this class in their game, here on the forums. Hopefully the next update will have some very meaningful experience-based changes. As always, feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated even as the class enters a test phase.

Update(#3)! The format for technique entries has been changed to make them a bit easier to read. They are a bit closer to the format for spells than the previously were, and should have effects spelled out more clearly. A few techniques have been changed a few have been removed and a few have been added. Additionally many techniques have "Synergy Bonuses" with feats they are simliar in theme to, or would have overlapped.

The awkward fix for the Charisma AC bonus was removed, the ability is simply gained at level 4 now. I'm considering adding a bonus at the start to compensate (an extra technique?). As a mystic hand is quite possibly very flimsy from level 1-3.

Expanded the fluff a bit, by adding the "Other Classes", "Adaptation" and "NPC Reaction" entires. I also added a few personal notes that I didn't feel fit else where on why Mystic hands use charisma, and what understanding they have of their abilities. It's a teeny-bit redundant with some of what is the main entry, but not much.

Updated(#2)!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I added in a new technique to cover the classes inability to deal with DR/Material. As well as a few other techniques that I just liked the flavor of. Also with variable technique in the class, It probably leaves room to adjust things for more highly circumstantial techniques.

If anyone can provide feedback any feedback on the balance/numerical aspects of this class, I'd be appreciative. Many of the figures were just done off the top of my head, to get a concept down.

While I wait to see if anyone is willing help me by commenting on that, I'll work on expanding the fluff quite a bit. I'll also try to build an example character or something along those lines, just to give a better of feel of the class. Hopefully after the next update this will feel a little less like just a collection of abilities.

Update #1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Updated. Putting back most of things I cut out before posting it. In any case hopefully that makes it a bit stronger/interesting. I think I was perhaps a bit too conservative in the final editing.

Included in the restoration is Evasion, Uncanny Dodge and the overall equivalent of Mettle, split into two evasion-like abilities. Also an ability to use techniques he doesn't know a limited number of times per day.

Original Statement on what this class is.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first attempt at making a non lawful monk-like class based on activating ki charges from a daily pool, the "Wild Fist", turned out poorly.I didn't like the result, revised it and still didn't like the result. So I scrapped almost all of it and started over again.

I'm much happier with this second result, the "Mystic Hand". All of the numbers involved are likely off (but hey that's what comments are for). However I'm fairly happy with the core mechanics and concept of the class.

Please feel free to be critical! Any comments on the class, problems improvements & changes are appreciated.

The technique especially list is far from being vital/sacred in it's current form, I'm more than happy to hear suggestions for techniques that should be added or need to be removed.

EDIT:
    Changes Based On Feedback.
    -It was pointed out that the AC bonus would be too readily accessible to charisma based casters taking 1 level in the class. Restriction added that suppresses the AC bonus for 1 round if an attempt at casting an arcane spell is made. Added a feat, "Intertwined Energy" for those characters actually multi-classing between a caster and Mystic hand.

EDIT: Feeling the suppression mechanic was cumbersome, I've simply moved the AC bonus to the 4th level.

Mystic Hand Introduction. & Fluff!
    Spoiler
    Show

A mystic hand is someone who draws their power from within themselves, tapping into their true potential . A mystic hand’s powers are fueled by his ki, the energy within living beings that monks and certain other individuals train themselves to utilize. The primary difference between a mystic hand and those users of ki, is that he does not train himself to use it, he simply does. For the mystic hand, his ki is an extension of his being that he is able to call to action with nothing but a strong desire to accomplish something. The nature of this relationship between the mystic hand of his source of power means that little of what a mystic hand does can be taught, or perfected through training.

While the direction and focus for his power comes entirely from what he wants to do with it, it's source is still his body. Mystic hands fight unarmed and unarmored because doing so allows them to remain focused on their body, instead of something external to the source of their ki.

Adventures: A mystic hand may have any reason for adventuring, though they always do have a reason, one they see as quite compelling. A mystic hand never has the lack of direction needed to do things because they “Seemed like a good idea at the time.”. A mystic hand takes on any task, so long as it will help him to achieve something of value to himself. A good mystic hand might adventure to help make things safer for the defenseless, while a lawful mystic hand might jump at any chance to see criminals face their punishment.

Alignment: The mystic hand’s path through life is determined by whatever drives him and thus may be perused by anyone with something to believe in. Since their powers stem from individual strength and personal drive, their can be no tradition for their methods, this means they have a moderate tendency away from lawfulness. Mystic hands have no strong tendency towards good or evil and are as likely to be either as anyone else is. Whatever his alignment, a mystic hand may never be completely neutral, they need something to feel strongly about and give them the drive that shapes their abilities.

Characteristics: It is a mystic hand’s ability to manipulate his ki precisely that defines his abilities. This means that a mystic hand's powers are as varied as the beliefs and desires that drive them. Despite this variety some things are almost universal: Since a mystic hand never fights with any weapons or any armor, they are almost always light, mobile combatants. They fight with care and use tactics that play into their own strength and potential, never facing an enemy on their own terms.

Religion: Mystic hands have no strong religious tendencies and are as likely to worship a given god as any member of their race. Many are not religious at all, a mystic hand needs only have something to feel strongly about, it doesn’t have to be god. Even a mystic hand who does worship a deity might not be zealot (though they frequently are) if his faith isn’t what drives him.

Background: No background is “Typical” for a Mystic Hand. They can come from any walk of life and follow any course to tap into their potential. Anyone given the chance to explore their limits can become a mystic hand, provided they have something to drive them to do so.

Other Classes: A mystic hand's ability to get along with others is far more a result of his alignment than anything else. They work especially well with those that share their alignment, often mistrust those that do not. Clerics, Paladins and others with strong beliefs often get along with Mystic Hand's amazingly well, assuming that they share those strong beliefs. His connection to his body means a mystic appreciates physical prowess, Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians and others skilled in combat have his respect because of it. Bards, Rogues and others who can master of a variety of skills typically impress a mystic hand, as they contrast sharply with his mastery of only a small set of skills. A mystic hand doesn't generally feel too strongly about Wizards or Sorcerers either way. Mystic Hand's generally feel competitive with monks as they too rely solely on their own bodies to fight. A Mystic Hand that is aware of the source of his power may find an even greater connection to monks.

Mystic Hand Additional Information & Fluff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Notes on Charisma, Ki & Use of Powers
    Charisma was chosen as the Mystic Hand's primary attribute because it represents strength of personality. A mystic hand calls his ki to action with no more than a desire to do something he believes in. All that is involved is his ability to feel strongly about something.

A mystic hand does not even have to know what it is that fuels his powers. A mystic does know that it is something about his body that allows him do what he does. He can feel that "something" as he manipulates it, no differently than any person can feel their own arm. However, a mystic hand doesn't have to be and often isn't aware of the exact nature of his power. A mystic hand can go his whole life without ever hearing the word "ki" or even grasping the concept of being in command of a special energy. A mystic hand simply does what he does because he is able, understanding the process is irrelevant.

This does not mean a Mystic Hand is always ignorant of how his powers work. Many learn about their ki and what it is they are doing, from scholars, monks or others who know about ki. Some feel compelled to intentionally seek out this information by their own curiosity. Some are aware of ki before they become mystic hands, and unlock their hidden potential through a conscious effort. A few mystic hands remain ignorant but invent their own explanations as to why they can do what they can do. Some credit their abilities to divine intention, descent from magical beings, some even credit it to exposure to arcane magic or other hazards.

NPC Reactions: Until he preforms some act that cannot normally be achieved, people react no differently to a Mystic Hand than they would any other person. A mystic hand's power has no visible outside signs, they do not wear armor or use weapons that give away their skills. This means that mystic hands are not judged any differently than a random commoner, unless they have a special status or reputation that would have them treated differently in the first place.

Adaptation: The Mystic Hand is a flexible class when it comes to adaptation. They can fit into any setting where a person can draw on some form of extraordinary power. A mystic hand could for instance, be driven by a divine power like a Cleric instead of ki, their body having been blessed by a deity. Any power source that can be used something simply with a desire to do so works for the Mystic Hand.

Since they have no traditions, organization and rarely even identify themselves as anything but a person who believes in something they can easily be changed to fit the needs of the setting.

Game Rule Information:
    Abilities:Charisma is a mystic hand's most important attribute, as it determines the effectiveness of many of his abilities. In some cases he is able to may make his charisma modifier apply in places it wouldn't normally. Dexterity is important as the mystic hand wears no armor, it is also the key ability for some class skills. Strength can still help him in combat when he can't afford to use his Spirited Attacks ability.
    Alignment: Any but Neutral
    Hit Die:d8
    Class Skills:
    The Mystic Hand's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are:
    Balance(Dex), Climb (Str),Craft (Int),Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex),Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level

(4 + Int modifier) ×4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level
    4 + Int modifier.
    Mystic Hand
    Mystic Hand
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Unarmed Damage|Ki Charges per Day|Techniques Known

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Unarmed Damage, Focus Ki, Spirited Attacks|
    1d6
    |
    |

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Special Ability|
    1d6
    |
    |

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |True Potential|
    1d6
    |
    |

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |AC Bonus|
    1d8
    |
    |

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Variable Technique 1/day|
    1d8
    |
    |

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Energetic Attacks|
    1d8
    |
    |
    |

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Special Ability|
    1d8
    |
    |

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |True Potential|
    1d10
    |
    |
    |

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    ||
    1d10
    |
    |

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Variable Technique 2/day|
    1d10
    |
    |

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Aligned Attacks|
    1d10
    |
    |

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Special Ability|
    2d6
    |
    |

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |True Potential|
    2d6
    |
    |

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    ||
    2d6
    |
    |

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Variable Technique 3/day|
    2d6
    |
    |

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Adamantine Attacks|
    2d8
    |
    |

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Special Ability|
    2d8
    |
    |

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |True Potential|
    2d8
    |
    |

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    ||
    2d8
    |
    |

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Variable Technique 4/day|
    2d10
    |
    |
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    The Mystic Hand is Proficient with no weapons and no armor.

The mystic hand's power stems from only his body, he does not learn to use even the simplest of weapons or armor, as doing so would only detract from developing his unique abilities.

EDIT: I can't believe I left out the "Unarmed Strike" entry all this time. Of course it's rather obvious it's a duplicate of the monk ability! But still!
    Unarmed Strike

At 1st level, a mystic hand gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A mystic hand's attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a mystic hand striking unarmed. A mystic hand may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.

Usually a mystic hand’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A mystic hand's unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A mystic hand also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on the table above.

For all feats, items and prestige classes that refer to a m,onk's Unarmed Damage(Such as a monk's belt) the mystic hand's Unarmed Damage also applies.

Ki Charges
    At the 1st level a 4 ki charges available daily. He gains 1 additional ki charge each level until the 20th, at which point receives a one time bonus of 2 additional charges. Ki charges may not be consumed to power abilities until they have been unlocked, "Activated" through use of the mystic fist's "Focus Ki" ability.

When the Mystic Hand rests for the day his body replenishes it's natural Ki energy. The mystic fist recovers 1/4 his maximum ki charges after 4 hours of sleep, 1/2 after 6 and all of them after 8.

If he does not get a full 8 hours of sleep and only recovers a portion of his ki charges, he may rest for 4 hours later in the day to recover the remainder. This rest must be continuous, periods of rest less than 4 hours long do not contribute to ki charge recovery.

A Mystic hand may not exceed is maximum ki charges per day in any given 24 hour period no matter how much he rests.

There is no additional preparation time or required activities for the Mystic Fist to gain his ki charges, it is simply a matter of having adequate time for his body to recover.

Focus Ki(Ex)
    With the use of his Focus Ki ability, the Mystic Hand can "Active" some of his daily ki charges making them available for use. Forcing his body to do this takes a small amount of time. Depending on how long he spends on the task the Mystic Hand will be able to release a different amount of his ki. Used as move-equivalent action, Focus ki grants 1 active ki charge from his daily pool, used as a standard action it grants 2, used as a full-round action it grants 4. A Mystic Hand may never have more 4 ki charges active, if he tries to activate more than 4 the extra charges remain in his daily pool.

Focus ki has no visual effect, it is an entirely an internal change. Sometimes a mystic hand may somehow reflect that change in his actions, but that's just a product of his personality.

Spirited Attacks(Su)
    At the 1st level the mystic hand may use his Ki to guide his attacks with invisible force, increasing their accuracy and power. By spending 1 ki charge as a free action the mystic hand may use his charisma modifier in place of his strength bonus on Attack and Damage rolls with his Unarmed Strike. This effect lasts until dismissed with a free action, and it can be active a total number of rounds a day equal to his mystic hand class level.

Special Abilitity
    At the 2nd, 7th,12th and 17th levels the Mystic Hand selects one of four special abilities. This means he eventually gains all special abilities, he simply chooses the order in which he receives them. The list of special abilities is as follows:
    • Evasion(Ex)Once he selects this ability, the Mystic Hand can avoid even magic and usual attacks with great agility. If he makes a Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save he instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the Mystic Hand is no armor. A helpless Mystic Hand does not gain the benefit of evasion. If the Mystic Hand already has evasion from another class when he chooses to gain this ability he instead gains improved evasion.
    • Preponderance(Ex)The Mystic Hand's power and influence over his own mind and spirit increase, allowing him to more easily defeat supernatural assaults against his being. If the Mystic Hand makes a successful Will save saving throw that would normally reduce an effect, he suffers no effect at all. Only those effects listed as having "Will partial" may be negated through this ability.
    • Weather(Ex)The Mystic Hand's body becomes tougher and more resilient, he is now able to more easily defeat supernatural assaults against his body. If the Mystic Hand makes a successful Fortitude save saving throw that would normally reduce an effect, he suffers no effect at all. Only those effects listed as having "Fortitude partial" may be negated through this ability.
    • Uncanny Dodge(Ex)Once he selects this ability a Mystic Hand can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught-flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker. If a mystic hand already has Uncanny dodge from another class when he selects this ability he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Techniques
    As the mystic hand becomes stronger, he is able to discover new ways to utilize the energy within him. He develops these into "Techniques" that define his personal combat style.

The Mystic Hand knows as many techniques as show in the table above.

True Potential(Ex)
    As the mystic hand grows in experience, he explores more and more of what his ki can do. He finds that when it comes to his skills, he was not realizing his true potential.

At the 3rd, 8th 13th and 18th levels the Mystic Hand is able bring his body's ki to it's full potential for an additional task. He selects a single class skill, from then on he may make use of that skill enhanced with his ki. By expending 1 ki charge he when he makes a check with the selected skill, he gains his charisma modifier as a bonus on the check.

AC Bonus(Ex)
    At the 4th level a mystic hand's ki protects him, he is instinctively able to use it to help guide attacks away from him.

When unarmored the Mystic Hand adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his AC.

This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the Mystic Hand is flat-footed. He loses this bonus when he wears any armor, or when he carries a shield.

Variable Technique
    Finding new ways to manipulate his body and ki, a Mystic Hand has the potential to adapt to new situations on the fly and apply unknown techniques.

Starting at the 5th level the Mystic Hand gains the ability to use Variable Technique once per day.The Mystic Hand may use any Technique from the standard list he does not know, just as if he did know it. He may do this twice per day at the 10th level, three times per day at the 15th, and four times per day at the 20th.

Energetic Attacks
    At the 6th level the Mystic Hand may use his Ki to channel energy into his Spirited Attacks. By spending 1 ki charge in addition to the one used to activate Spirited Attacks, the mystic hand may choose an energy type. For the duration of that use of Spirited Attacks, his unarmed strike will be considered a magic weapon and cause an additional 1d6 energy damage of the type he chose. Energetic Attacks may not be used in combination with any other ability that modifies Spirited Attacks.

Aligned Attacks
    At the 11th level the Mystic Hand may use his Ki to channel the power of his beliefs into his Spirited Attacks. By spending 2 ki charges in addition to the one normally used to activate spirited attacks, the mystic may choose a non-neutral aspect of his alignment. For the duration of that use of Spirited Attacks his unarmed strike will be considered as having that alignment for overcoming damage reduction. In addition, his unarmed strikes will cause 2d6 additional damage to creatures with the opposite alignment of the one he chose. Aligned Attacks may not be used in combination with any other ability that modifies Spirited Attacks.

Adamantine Attacks
    At the 16th level the Mystic Hand may use his Ki to make his Spirited Attacks hit with as though there were made of adamantine, by spending 3 ki charges in addition to the one normally used to activate Spirited Attacks. For the duration of that use of Spirited Attacks his unarmed strike will be treated as an adamantine weapon for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction and hardness. In addition his unarmed strikes will deal an additional 2d6 damage, this damage is the same type as his unarmed strike damage. Adamantine Attacks may not be used in combination with any other ability that modifies Spirited Attacks.

Ex-Mystic Hands:

A mystic hand who becomes neutral no longer has enough drive to shape his ki. He may no longer raise his Mystic Hand level or use any of his Mystic Hand abilities. Should he become any non-neutral alignment, even one that is different from or opposed to his previous alignment he regains use of all his Mystic Hand abilities and may again advance his Mystic Hand levels.

Mystic hands face no special multi-classing restrictions.

Techniques (List Spoiler-Tagged to make post less cumbersome.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Avoidance(Ex)
    Charge Cost: 1
    Action: Free Action
    Duration: (1 + ½ Charisma Modifier) Rounds
    "You weave back forth and forth with every action you take. You cover your vulnerabilities with super human precision."
    While active avoidance grants you a dodge bonus to your AC against attacks of opportunity. This bonus varies depending on your level.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level : Dodge Bonus +2
    • 5th Level : Dodge Bonus +4
    • 10th Level: Dodge Bonus +6
    • 15th Level: Dodge Bonus +8
    • 20th Level: Dodge Bonus +10

Synergy Bonus: Avoidance receives a Synergy bonus if you have the "Mobility" feat: While avoidance is active, you receive an additional +2 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity you provoke for moving into or out of a threatened area.

Mobile Attack(Ex)

Action: See Text
    Duration: N/A
    “As you run past your opponent, you deliver a spinning kick that does not even break your stride”
    Mobile Attack is used as part of a movement that passes adjacent to an opponent’s space, you make a single attack with your unarmed strike against that opponent as part of that movement. You may not make a standard action in the same round you use mobile attack, though you may make a second movement action.
    Synergy Bonus: Mobile Attack receives a synergy bonus if you have the “Spring Attack” feat: Mobile attack allows you to make a full-attack action as part of your movement, though if you do so you may not take a second movement action that round.

Perfect Reaction(Ex)
    “With a boast or an intimidating gesture, you make it clear you are ready for anything”
    While active perfect reaction grants you 2 extra attacks of opportunity per round.
    Synergy Bonus: Perfect reaction receives a synergy bonus if you have the “Combat Reflexes” feat: While Perfect Reaction is active you receive 1 additional attack of opportunity per round.

Blade Knuckle(Ex)
    Action: Swift Action
    Duration: (1 + Charisma Modifier) Rounds
    “With clever attacks augmented by your ki, you rip and pierce your enemies with your unarmed strikes, instead of simply hitting them”
    While active blade knuckle allows you to inflict piercing or slashing damage with your unarmed strike instead of bludgeoning damage. Additionally your unarmed strikes will cause additional damage, the amount of bonus damage is dependent on your level.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level: +1 Damage
    • 5th Level: +2 Damage
    • 10th Level: +3 Damage
    • 15th Level: +4 Damage
    • 20th Level: +5 Damage

Bonus damage from Blade Knuckle & Solid Body do not stack.

Hefty Strike(Ex)

Action: Move-equivalent Action
    Duration: 1 Hour or until all uses are consumed.
    “As you attack your unarmed strikes seem heavier, they carry more force behind them. It is as if your ki has mass
    Once activated, hefty strike grants you the ability to treat your unarmed strike as a Two-Handed weapon. You declare you are expending one use of hefty strike before taking the action you are applying it too. Hefty strike may be used a number of times equal to your charisma modifier each time you activate it, however all uses are lost if not consumed before the duration expires.

Defensive Opportunity(Ex)
    “As you dodge your opponent’s attack, you lunge forward and punish them for their mistake with a well-placed attack.
    While active Defensive Opportunity causes any attack that fails to hit your Touch AC to immediately provoke an attack of opportunity from you.
    Synergy Bonus: Defensive Opportunity receives a synergy bonus if you have the “Dodge” feat: The opponent you selected as for your dodge bonus always provokes an attack of opportunity when attack you, even if he would hit your touch AC.

Solid Body(Ex)

Charge Cost:1
    “You feel different, somehow more dense as you make your attacks. You your attacks stagger opponents that would normally shrug off your attacks”
    While active Solid Body allows you to treat your unarmed strike as if it was constructed of Silver or Cold Iron for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Additionally your unarmed strikes will cause additional damage, the amount of bonus damage is dependent on your level.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level: +1 Damage
    • 5th Level: +2 Damage
    • 10th Level: +3 Damage
    • 15th Level: +4 Damage
    • 20th Level: +5 Damage

Bonus damage from Blade Knuckle & Solid Body do not stack.

Strike & Return(Ex)
    Charge Cost: 2
    “You charge at a distant opponent, as you approach them you spring off them with an unarmed strike flipping back towards you original position in a great display of acrobatics”
    Strike & Return is used as part of a charge. If you make a successful unarmed strike at the end of a charge you may move back in the direction in the charge was made a distance up to any unused any portion of the charge movement. If half or less of the charge movement was used you stop your movement in the space from which you started the charge.

Adaptive Style(Ex)
    Duration: Until used again or a period of 4 hours rest.
    “With a dramatic flourish you change your stance, adapting your fighting style to the demands of the situation”
    Choose one of the following feats when you activate Adaptive style: Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Improved Grapple. Until you use adaptive style again, or you rest and recover your ki charges you are treated as having that feat.
    Synergy Bonus: Adaptive Style receives a synergy bonus if you already have one of the feats it emulates: If you already have Improved Disarm, Improved Trip or Improved Grapple when you select that feat for adaptive style, you instead gain a +2 bonus on all rolls for that ability.

Ki Bloom(Ex)
    Duration: N/A.
    “Throwing efficiency out the window, you expend some of your ki to pull out a greater amount from within yourself ”
    Ki Bloom activates 4 Ki charges from your daily pool.

Sixth Sense(Ex)
    Duration: (1 + ½ Charisma Modifier) Rounds.
    “You focus on ki, using it to sense the tiniest changes around you. You become much more aware than you are normally.”
    While active Sixth Sense grants you Blindsight. The range is dependent on your level.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level: 5' Range
    • 5th Level: 10' Range
    • 10th Level: 15' Range
    • 15th Level: 20' Range
    • 20th Level: 25' Range

Synergy Bonus Sixth Sense gains a synergy bonus if you have the "Blind-Fight" feat: The range of Sixth Sense is increased by 5'.

Precision(Ex)
    Charge Cost: 3
    “You focus on making quick, precise strikes that allow you maintain your mobility in battle”
    While Precision is active you gain a bonus on all attacks rolls made with your unarmed strike that are not part of a full attack action. The amount of the bonus is dependent on your level.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level: +1 on Attack Rolls
    • 5th Level: +2 on Attack Rolls
    • 10th Level: +3 on Attack Rolls
    • 15th Level: +4 on Attack Rolls
    • 20th Level: +5 on Attack Rolls

Synergy Bonus: Precision gains a synergy bonus if you have the feat Weapon Focus(Unarmed Strike): While Precision is active you receive an additional +1 bonus on attack rolls not made as part of a full attack action.
    Precision applies to actions that take the place of attacks, such as Grapple Checks and Trip Attempts.

Tracking Vision(Ex)
    “Your irises glow softly for a moment, your enemies appear to move in slow motion to you. You can easily see their movements as they attempt to dodge your blows”.
    While active, tracking vision allows you to ignore a portion of your enemies AC bonus. This is dependent on your level and cannot exceed their dexterity bonus + dodge bonuses that would apply to the attack.
    Advancement:
    • 1st Level: Ignore 2 points of AC
    • 5th Level: Ignore 4 points of AC
    • 10th Level: Ignore 6 points of AC
    • 15th Level: Ignore 8 points of AC
    • 20th Level: Ignore 10 points of AC

Double Strike(Ex)
    “You feel a surge of energy throughout your body, in the time it normally takes you to take a single attack you unleash two furious blows”
    Double Strike is used with any action that requires an attack roll and is not part of a full attack action. You perform the action twice at your highest base attack bonus, without penalty or changing what type of action it is.

Awesome Speed(Ex)

“As you run you feel lighter and lighter, your legs feel as if they separate from your body as your stride grows longer and more rapid.”
    While active Awesome speed increases your movement speed by 5’ per mystic hand class level you possess. This bonus applies to all movement modes you have available to you and stacks with all other bonuses that increases movement speed.

Sudden Step(Ex)

“Though you have little time react, you are able to call on your ki to allow you to move a greater distance in a short period”
    While active Sudden Step allows you to move 10’ any time you would take a 5’ step.

Return to the Source(Su)
    Charge Cost: 4
    Action: Immediate Action
    “A calm washes over you, you can feel your ki spread throughout your body and heal some of your injuries”
    Return to the Source cures you of a number of points of damage equal to (Charisma modifier + ½ your mystic hand class level). Return to the Source may be used in response to an effect that would cause you to fall below 0 hp, even if the damage would be enough to kill you. It will not prevent death from massive damage, or effects that would kill you without causing hit point damage. Return the Source may be used even while you are paralyzed, restrained, unconscious or otherwise helpless.

Perplexing Steps(Su)
    “As you move, you channel your ki outwards your outline blurs, your image becomes more and more distorted the further you run”
    While active Perplexing Steps grants you a dodge bonus to AC that increases as you move. The dodge bonus is +1 if you’ve moved at least 20’ during that duration of Perplexing Steps, +2 if you’ve moved at least 40’, +3 if you’ve moved at least 80’, +4 if you’ve moved at least 160’, +5 if you’ve moved at least 320’, and so on. All movements you make during the duration count towards the total.

Life Bridge(Su)

Action: Full Round Action
    “A faint thread of energy can be seen between you and an ally, you feed some of your ki into their body restoring part of their life, in exchange for of some of your own”
    You may choose take up to (Charisma Modifier * 10) lethal damage, for every 10 points of damage you take you may cure an ally within (10 + [Mystic Hand Level *2])’ of 1d6 damage.

Instant Action(Su)
    “You feel a massive surge of energy within yourself, the world seems to stand still as you perform a task in an instant”.
    Using instant action allows you perform a single move action or move-equivalent action as a swift action. If the action normally provokes attacks of opportunity, it does not. Instant action may never be used with an action that is normally a Standard or Full Round Action that has been somehow been modified to be a move-equivalent action.

Feats

Extra Ki
    Prerequisites : Focus Ki class feature.
    Benefits:: You gain an additional 2 ki charges per day.This feat may be selected multiple times, it's effects stack, granting 2 ki charges per day each time.

Spiritual Energy
    Prerequisites : Spirited Attacks class feature.
    Benefits:: You may have Spirited Attacks active for an additional round per day. This feat may be selected multiple times, it's effects stack, allowing 3 additional rounds of Spirited Attacks each time.

Technique
    Prerequisites : At least 2 Techniques known.
    Benefits:: You gain an additional Technique. This feat may be selected multiple times, gaining an additional Technique each time.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2007-11-02 at 02:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Mystic Hand"[Base Class]

The biggest problem I see is the noticable amount of dead levels present throughout the classes' advancement. I feel you would do better to condense this class into a monk PrC rather than leave it as a base class with a full 20 levels.

Plus, as a one level dip, I don't know of any Charisma-based caster who wouldn't take a level of this class for the AC bonus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    The biggest problem I see is the noticable amount of dead levels present throughout the classes' advancement. I feel you would do better to condense this class into a monk PrC rather than leave it as a base class with a full 20 levels.

Plus, as a one level dip, I don't know of any Charisma-based caster who wouldn't take a level of this class for the AC bonus.
    That's a good point on the charisma AC bonus, I'll start thinking of a workaround for it.

As for the dead level thing, new techniques are (or at least supposed to be) meaningful points of advancement for the class. So I wasn't really looking at them at as "Dead Levels" if they aren't meaningful, I think the solution would be to increase the power of techniques rather than try and force the new mechanics into a monk PrC.
    EDIT: As for the levels with no new techniques and no other features (5, 10, 15, 20) is when several techniques with level-based scaling increasing in power.

Techniques were originally listed under the "Special" catagory rather than on a separate entry on the table. I only took it out because I thought it looked silly. However if that's a common sentiment I have a few ability ideas I cut early because I was afraid of them being too powerful. They could easily be re-included in the class if there isn't enough there as-is.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2007-10-18 at 01:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Generally, you should look at it this way. Is your player going to take this through all twenty levels? Would he get more mileage out of Tattooed Monk? Or any other Monk PrC? Personally I still advocate turning the class into a PrC rather than leaving it as a base class.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Generally, you should look at it this way. Is your player going to take this through all twenty levels? Would he get more mileage out of Tattooed Monk? Or any other Monk PrC? Personally I still advocate turning the class into a PrC rather than leaving it as a base class.
    Thank you for your input. If that's the general sentiment of the comments, I'll attempt to do so. Though I'd like to find ways to make it viable separate from the monk, due to the flavor differences. Though it's monk-like in that it fights unarmed and uses ki, it's supposed to represent something fairly different from that sort of disciplined traditionalist.

New- I still think the lack of interesting options may have been a result of my conservative nature making me cut a lot of stuff before presenting it. I've added back (almost) everything, I had originally intended. Which hopefully makes it more interesting, without making it silly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "Mystic Hand"[Base Class](Update #1)

I personally like it as a straight up 20 level base class, but I think giving it all good saves is a tad strong. I know its basically an improved monk (a much needed improvement, btw), but all good saves is a little too powerful now that it has useful abilities and the techniques (very cool). I'd consider just giving it good will and reflex saves. Maybe exchange will for fortitude or give the player that option (to be more mystic or more martial).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "Mystic Hand"[Base Class](Update #3)

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    I personally like it as a straight up 20 level base class, but I think giving it all good saves is a tad strong. I know its basically an improved monk (a much needed improvement, btw), but all good saves is a little too powerful now that it has useful abilities and the techniques (very cool). I'd consider just giving it good will and reflex saves. Maybe exchange will for fortitude or give the player that option (to be more mystic or more martial).
    Ahh, thanks a lot for the input. I tended to agree with you when I was putting it together, which is why I pulled the save-related special abilities when I originally posted it. However as the only comment I got was that it didn't give enough mileage/was boring, so I threw them back in.

I think if anyone else comments on the save issue I'll scale it back again, instead of totally dropping it.

You mention you like the techniques, do you (or anyone reading this!) have specific ones you could point to that are better, or some that feel out of place? I'll probably looking to expand/refine the technique list at some point and that kind of input would be very helpful/appreciated. Even if you don't, thanks again for taking the time to read it!

-New: Added a handful of new techniques. Most notable Solid Palm to deal with the fact the class had no means of getting around DR/Material. Tweaked the bonus for the Extended Attacks feat.

Also: I'd like to note that I don't just intend for this class to be a monk alternative. It's really supposed to be something different, even if it has some simliar themes.

Update #3.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As I was saying in another thread, I was curious as to why Bluff was left off, I understand why not Diplomacy, but I pictured the characters who would choose this class as the scoundrely type, and while he couldn't rationally persuade people for crap, Han Solo, scoundrel paragon, could out-bluff anyone but Indianna Jones. Now, Bluff is useful in social situations (unlike the rest of the skills this class has), but if used improperly, or impetuously, it could cause many more problems. I just associate liars with cocky street-fighters.

Again, as I mentioned elsewhere, Stunning Fist could work well here, subbing Cha for Wis. I know this is supposed to be seperate and different from the Monk class, but I would assume Stunning Fist would work for the Mystic Hand like it does for the Monk based on the similarities they do share, as they know the things Monks learn. Also, this feat allows a flavor differentiation from other Mystic Fists. 'Adaptive Style' is nice, and powerful, but it almost assures that Mystic Fists all learn this technique, and therefore are sort of similar. It also negates the need to take that feat progression. This isn't so bad, as it displays the 'intuitive' nature of the class, but it shrinks the amount of feat trees and combinations to interest the player in, and the powerful abilities and satisfaction achieving this brings.

As for the techniques, I'm a big fan of the Rogue, so I'd be interested in seeing some version of precision damage bonus. Another thing I thought would be fun, and could work well as an expensive technique is the ability to threaten 10 ft, as opposed to 5.

Also, real quick, I suddenly started wondering how this class is supposed to deal damage. Monks get flurry, supposedly making up for a limited BAB by more opportunites, this class de-stresses Str, while taking away flurry and keeping the BAB low, further reducing the amount of attacks the character gets. Yes, some of the uses of ki help out, but they are limited, especially as ability bonus doesn't translate to more ki uses.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    As I was saying in another thread, I was curious as to why Bluff was left off, I understand why not Diplomacy, but I pictured the characters who would choose this class as the scoundrely type, and while he couldn't rationally persuade people for crap, Han Solo, scoundrel paragon, could out-bluff anyone but Indianna Jones. Now, Bluff is useful in social situations (unlike the rest of the skills this class has), but if used improperly, or impetuously, it could cause many more problems. I just associate liars with cocky street-fighters.
    Well, bluff & diplomacy were both on the classes skill list when I was originally developing it. However they were removed because I wanted to limit options initially. As you know, I've entered a game where the DM is being generous to let me test this class and even adjust it mid-game. The reappearance of social skills is something certainly likely to happen if the classes options are feeling limited.

Ass for the character type issue, a Mystic Hand can be anything. They certainly can be a scoundrel, and given the lack of tradition it's somewhat more likely. However it isn't key to the class, Mystic Hand could just as easily be as up-tight and self-righteous as the most conservative of paladins. They are only defined in having some strong approach to life, it doesn't really mattered what that approach was.

Again, as I mentioned elsewhere, Stunning Fist could work well here, subbing Cha for Wis. I know this is supposed to be seperate and different from the Monk class, but I would assume Stunning Fist would work for the Mystic Hand like it does for the Monk based on the similarities they do share, as they know the things Monks learn.
    Mystic Hands actually had stunning fist like technique up until the last update. It cost 3 charges and had a variable effect depending on the enemies level compared to the mystic hand. I wouldn't be strongly against bringing it back, and I've also considered giving them access to stunning-fist based feats at various points. It's good to see concrete feedback on the issue, it'll certainly something I'm taking into account on future updates.

Also, this feat allows a flavor differentiation from other Mystic Fists. 'Adaptive Style' is nice, and powerful, but it almost assures that Mystic Fists all learn this technique, and therefore are sort of similar.
    I'd argue because of the long duration, many mystic hands would choose to save the technique slot and just pop variable technique once a day to gain the aspect they wanted. That of course requires waiting until level 6 to benefit from it. You're correct though in that it's a powerful technique, it may need to be adjusted down (duration decreased) or others may just need to be changed to be more in-line with it.

It also negates the need to take that feat progression. This isn't so bad, as it displays the 'intuitive' nature of the class, but it shrinks the amount of feat trees and combinations to interest the player in, and the powerful abilities and satisfaction achieving this brings.
    You're right about the lack of direction in feats. I ran into this when generating my first test characters. It's defiantly something I'm looking into a solution for. As I mentioned opening up stunning fist feats to them is something I considered, I also think adding a line of "Technique" feats that add new non-standard feats would be good. I also intended to expand the technique list and use the synergy bonuses to tie them more into specific feat lines.

The exact scope of these changes will all be determined by how the testing goes.

As for the techniques, I'm a big fan of the Rogue, so I'd be interested in seeing some version of precision damage bonus.
    A possibility. I'd probably be more inclined to give an incentive to multi class than really take features straight out of another class.
    Another thing I thought would be fun, and could work well as an expensive technique is the ability to threaten 10 ft, as opposed to 5.
    I like suggestion, I'll probably use it. Given that Defensive Opportunity and Perfect Reaction both tie into AoOs it can see it fitting in thematically.

Also, real quick, I suddenly started wondering how this class is supposed to deal damage. Monks get flurry, supposedly making up for a limited BAB by more opportunites, this class de-stresses Str, while taking away flurry and keeping the BAB low, further reducing the amount of attacks the character gets. Yes, some of the uses of ki help out, but they are limited, especially as ability bonus doesn't translate to more ki uses.
    This all ties in to me being conservative to start with. When I initially posted it, this class was even more strapped for features than it currently was. The power level is probably somewhat low, if testing confirms this the class will be "Buffed". You're right that the ki techniques are what were intended to make up for the low BaB. When adjustments are made they'd be made by giving expanded technique lists, moving some techniques to class features and/or increasing charges per day.

I'll point out the intention of the low BaB thing. If you'll notice some class techniques: Mobile Strike, Double Strike, Precision tie into enhancing single-attacks and many of the others: Avoidance, Perplexing Steps, Awesome Speed are designed around rewarding and enhancing mobility. The BaB is low specifically to avoid rewarding trying to find ways and get a full-attack action in. With techniques compensating for the loss and offering something of equal value. Chances are, I just simply haven't gone far enough to really make up the difference. Again, testing should give me a much clearer idea of all this. I've got a lot of techniques and even a features in the waiting to add to the class, I'd just rather add things than be forced to try and cut features.

EDIT: I'll probably compile a list of things I'm considering adding, that way they could be commented on.

Technique list is defiantly getting expanded, if not for issues of power just for to provide more options. It's very skimpy compared to a caster's spell list, or a martial adepts maneuver list.

Possible Changes (if improvement is needed):
    Spoiler
    Show

-Spirited Attacks becomes passive. Energetic/Adamatine/Attacks retain their prices for X/Charge = Charisma Modifier Rounds.

-Remove Precision Technique. Class gains a feature that gives a passive bonus attack rolls on non-full attack actions. +2@4thLevel,+5@9,+7@14,+10@19.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2007-11-02 at 05:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

Default Re: "Mystic Hand"[Base Class](Update #3)(In Testing)

As a player taking this class I immediately noted that Str was intended to be not as much of a factor in dealing damage in combat, helpful but not what the class was centered around. Unfortunately to benefit from some of the techniques, such as Hefty Strike, one needs to either have a sizable Str score (weaking the class as the Monk is weakened by the need for so many high abilities) or use the Spirited Strike attack often. I'm afraid the ki pool will be too limited, without a efficient way to increase it. Perhaps it could have a more psionic power point-like progression.

Perhaps in the social skill debate, a MF could choose either Diplomacy or Bluff when entering the class, and be able to change only if their alignment changes.

I do like the concentration on decisive strikes and mobility, vs drawn out slugging match. What is that Fighter variant in PHBII that allows them to forgo additional attacks in order to deal more damage? Perhaps that could be worked in. Maybe a MF could receive Weapon Spec: US, but only when using a standard action?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    As a player taking this class I immediately noted that Str was intended to be not as much of a factor in dealing damage in combat, helpful but not what the class was centered around. Unfortunately to benefit from some of the techniques, such as Hefty Strike, one needs to either have a sizable Str score (weaking the class as the Monk is weakened by the need for so many high abilities) or use the Spirited Strike attack often.
    Hefty Strikes was originally intended as a disarm-fix, thought the synergy with Power Attack is obvious. I agree the classes is still feeling a bit too MAD, as I got through various builds.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but once "It's confirmed in testing" I have a solution in the works. For this.

I'm afraid the ki pool will be too limited, without a efficient way to increase it. Perhaps it could have a more psionic power point-like progression.
    I don't know much of anything about psionics but...

I agree, though I'm still going to wait for a day or two of play just to see how the fuel tank lasts. Provided Focus Ki provides a big enough throttle to keep the Mystic Hand from burning ALL his abilities at once, I wouldn't be against dramatically increasing his resource pool.

Perhaps in the social skill debate, a MF could choose either Diplomacy or Bluff when entering the class, and be able to change only if their alignment changes.
    I love that idea actually. The class is pretty strongly tied into it's beliefs. This suggestion is under serious consideration.

I do like the concentration on decisive strikes and mobility, vs drawn out slugging match. What is that Fighter variant in PHBII that allows them to forgo additional attacks in order to deal more damage? Perhaps that could be worked in. Maybe a MF could receive Weapon Spec: US, but only when using a standard action?
    The same fix I'm speculating on for the first point, would fix this problem as well (it actually goes beyond what you're suggesting). It's in the spoiler tag I edited into my previous post. It might be too much, just gotta see what the testing warrants.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2007-11-02 at 08:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

NinjaGuy

Looks good, though I'm getting the sense that all the power comes from the ki ability, needed to activate the Hefty Strike (which, when intended to disarm, would need the technique that allows it to make Disarm attempts active as well) each encounter will eat up a lot of fuel. This will be worked out after a playtest, I know, but maybe consider having a pool per encounter, or a constantly recharging one (perhaps like the spellcaster variant that allows them to cast spells all day).

Allowing the 'Stunning Fist' feat to work for MHs provides them an additional fuel tank, allowing a little more flexibility in combat and decreasing the hording of ki.

On the last point, I was suggesting Specialization, not Focus, so the damage would be increased, not necessarily the attack. Another possibility, have an alternate 'to hit' score like the Monk has with her Flurry o' Blows. Maybe have a 'to hit' modifier that is higher when the player just uses a standard action.
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2007-11-04 at 11:45 AM.