New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Balor Monster Class

Balor (Demon)

A balor is soon to do away with a pesky hero.

Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
    Masters of the Abyss and powerful generals of the Blood War, balors are indeed a fearsome foe and even at times a fearsome friend. Born from pure chaos and evil they are the essence of pure destruction taken material shape in its most brutal form.
    This is a class for those who plan on using thier monster character up into epic levels and maybe beyond, and as we know; Who hasn't wanted to play a balor?

Racial Traits
    • Starting Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Str, +2 Cha. Balors are strong and frightening creatures.
    • Speed: Balor base land speed is 40 feet.
    • Darkvision: Balors can see in the dark out to 60 feet.
    • Poison Immunity: Balors are native to a plane where poison is omnipresent and are thus immune.
    • Skills: +8 racial bonus on Listen, and Spot checks
    • Automatic Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic.
    • Favored Class: Balor and Barbarian. Balor and barbarian levels do not count when determining penalties for multiclassing.
    Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any two) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha).

{table="head"]Level|HD|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill-points|CR|Special
    1st|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|8+Int modifier|1|Feat, 2 slams 1d4, subtypes, +3 natural armor, resistances (acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5), masterword longsword
    2nd|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|-|1|+2 Str, +2 Int, flaming body 1d6
    3rd|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3|8+Int modifier|2|+2 Wis, +2 Dex, death throes 30, +4 natural armor
    4th|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3|8+Int modifier|3|Feat, +2 Cha, +2 Con, spell resistance
    5th|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3|-|3|+2 Str, +1 longsword, slams 1d6, flaming body 2d6, +5 natural armor
    6th|4d8|+4|+4|+4|+4|8+Int modifier|4|+2 Cha, fly speed 50 feet (average), telepathy 30 feet
    7th|5d8|+5|+4|+4|+4|8+Int modifier|5|+2 Con, true seeing 2/day, resistances (acid 10, cold 10, electricity 20, fire 20), +6 natural armor
    8th|5d8|+5|+4|+4|+4|-|5|+2 Con, slams 1d8, DR 5/cold iron or good, flaming body 3d6
    9th|6d8|+6|+5|+5|+5|8+Int modifier|6|Feat, +7 natural armor, summon tanar'ri(1d8 dretches, 50%)
    10th|7d8|+7|+5|+5|+5|8+Int modifier|7|+2 Str, +2 Cha, lesser balor powers 1/day, fly speed 70 feet (average), death throes 50, Entangle
    11th|7d8|+7|+5|+5|+5|-|7|+2 Con, large size, reach 10 feet, slams 1d10, flaming body 4d6, +8 natural armor
    12th|8d8|+8|+6|+6|+6|8+Int modifier|8|+2 Wis, DR 10/cold iron or good, electricity immunity, telepathy 60 feet
    13th|9d8|+9|+6|+6|+6|8+Int modifier|9|+2 Con, feat, +10 natural armor,
    14th|9d8|+9|+6|+6|+6|-|9|+2 Str, fly speed 90 feet (average), fire immunity, flaming body 5d6
    15th|10d8|+10|+7|+7|+7|8+Int modifier|10|+2 Int, balor powers 1/day, DR 15 cold iron or good, +12 natural armor
    16th|11d8|+11|+7|+7|+7|8+Int modifier|11|+2 Str, +2 Dex, telepathy 100 feet, summon tanar'ri(2d6 dretches, 1d2 hezrous, 60%)
    17th|11d8|+11|+7|+7|+7|-|11|+2 Int, +2 Wis, continuous true seeing, fly speed 90 feet (good), death throes 70, flaming body 6d6
    18th|12d8|+12|+8|+8|+8|8+Int modifier|12|+2 Dex, feat, +15 natural armor, balor powers 3/day, +1 Vorpal Longsword
    19th|13d8|+13|+8|+8|+8|8+Int modifier|13|+2 Str, +2 Con, greater balor powers 1/day
    20th|13d8|+13|+8|+8|+8|-|13|+2 Wis, +2 Cha, DR 15/cold iron and good, summon tanar'ri(3d6 dretches, 1d3 hezrous, 1 nalfeshnee, 70%)
    21st|14d8|+14|+9|+9|+9|8+Int modifier|14|+2 Dex, +17 natural armor, balor powers 5/days
    22nd|15d8|+15|+9|+9|+9|8+Int modifier|15|+2 Str, +2 Int, feat
    23rd|15d8|+15|+9|+9|+9|-|15|+2 Wis, +2 Cha, Death throes 100
    24th|16d8|+16|+10|+10|+10|8+Int modifier|16|+2 Con, +2 Cha, +19 natural armor, summon tanar'ri(3d10 dretches, 1d4 hezrous, 1 nalfeshnee or glabrezu, 80%)
    25th|17d8|+17|+10|+10|+10|8+Int modifier|17|+2 Str, +2 Dex
    26th|17d8|+17|+10|+10|+10|-|17|+2 Con, +2 Int, balor powers at will
    27th|18d8|+18|+11|+11|+11|8+Int modifier|18|+2 Str, +2 Dex, feat
    28th|18d8|+18|+11|+11|+11|-|18|+2 Dex, +2 Int, summon tanar'ri(4d10 dretches, 1d4 hezrous, 1 nalfeshnee, glabrezu or marilith, 90%)
    29th|19d8|+19|+11|+11|+11|8+Int modifier|19|+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int
    30th|19d8|+19|+11|+11|+11|-|19|+2 Str, +2 Wis
    31st|20d8|+20|+12|+12|+12|8+Int modifier|20|+2 Con, +2 Dex
    32nd|20d8|+20|+12|+12|+12|-|20|+2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, summon tanar'ri(4d10 dretches, 1d4 hezrous, 1 nalfeshnee, glabrezu, marilith or balor, 100%)
    [/table]

Class Features
    The following class features of the Balor Monster Class

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Balors are automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons and the whip. They are not proficient with any armors or shields.

Feats: A balor recieves one feat at first level and additional ones at 4th, 9th, 13th, 18th, 22nd and 27th. After 32nd level it gains feats normally according to class levels and HD (which requires epic level advancement rules; see Epic Level Handbook for more information).

Balor's sword (Ex and Su): Balors start thier adventuring lives with weapons wrought from internal magical power and the forges of the Abyss. At first level they have a masterwork longsword, which turns into a _1 longsword at 5th level and a +1 vorpal greatsword at 18th level(still acting like a longsword for thier large size). This sword often looks like a flame or bolt of lightning. It can be enhanced further just as any other weapon following the normal costs and rules for enhancing weaponry.

Flaming Body (Su): Balors grow a destructive flaming sheath of flame about thier bodies. At 2nd level it deals 1d6 fire damage against anyone the balor grapples. This damage advances to 2d6 at 5th level, 3d6 at 8th level, 4d6 at 11th level, 5d6 at 14th level and 6d6 at 17th level.

Death throes (Su): When balors die they explode in a massive explosion of light that damages those around it. At 3rd level, when it dies all foes within 100 feet take 30 points of damage. At 10th level it increases to 50 damage, 70 damage at 17th level and 100 damage at 23rd level. Those within the blast radius may make a reflex save (DC 10+half balor HD+Con modifier) for half damage.

Spell resistance (Su): At 4th level balors gain spell resistance equal to thier HD + 8.

Telepathy (Su): Balors gain telepathy out to 30 ft at 6th level. This increases to 60 feet at 12th level and 100 feet at 16th level. They may speak telepathically to any creature with a language.

Lesser Balor Powers(Sp): At 10th level a balor can use greater dispel magic and telekinesis as spell-like abilities once per day, and then the same number of times per day as balor powers(see below) at 15th level.

Balor Powers (Sp): At 15th level, balors can use blasphemy, dominate monster, greater teleport, insanity, power word stun, and unholy aura the indicated number of times per day on the chart. The caster level is equal to the balor level, with a maximum of 20th level.

True Seeing (Su): At 7th level, a balor may use true seeing as a supernatural ability twice per day. At 17th level it becomes continuous. The caster level is equal to thier balor's HD.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Once per day at 9th level a balor may summon other tanar'ri of the indicated type and number on the chart, as well as successful percent chance of summoning them.

Entangle (Ex): At 10th level, a balor gains the ability to entangle his foes while wielding the proper weapons. If he wields a whip or a spiked chain he may entangle someone much like a net. The whip or chain does not need folding. If it hits, the target and the balor immediately make opposed Strength checks; if the balor wins, it drags the target against it's flaming body. The target remains anchored against the balor's body until it escapes the whip or chain.

Greater Balor Powers (Sp): At 19th level a balor may use fire storm and implosion as spell like abilities once per day. With a caster level equal to thier level to a maximum of 20th.
    --
    Two landmarks with this class; first monster class and the longest class I've ever made. So there's bound to be plenty of glaring errors I can't seem to find, so please inform me of mistakes and give me balanced alternatives where necesarry. Thank you.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to work on pit-fiend and solar monster classes when I've got a hang of balance from looking at this.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-06-09 at 08:59 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Balor Monster Class

the saves, BAB are weird. also, what is the LA of the Balor race?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    the saves, BAB are weird. also, what is the LA of the Balor race?
    The saves and BAB are accurate according to HD and I've been informed the Balor's LA is 12, so it's an ECL of 32.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just a pair of nitpicks; I'm really not qualified to comment on monster classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    pure destruction taken material shape in it's most brutal form.
    That should be "its", not "it's".

Who hasn't not wanted to play a balor?
    Double negative. What you're saying is, "Everybody wants to NOT play a balor." Which is, I assume, the opposite of what you want. Should be, 'Who hasn't wanted to play a balor?"
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Just a pair of nitpicks; I'm really not qualified to comment on monster classes.

That should be "its", not "it's".

Double negative. What you're saying is, "Everybody wants to NOT play a balor." Which is, I assume, the opposite of what you want. Should be, 'Who hasn't wanted to play a balor?"
    Oh, well glad those are your only nitpicks. I'll change those, I was typing this up while distracted.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'd advise giving it less starting ability score adjustments; at this point, a level 1 Balor looks much more attractive than a fighter or almost any other comparable martial class.

And I would delay a lot of those spell-like abilities. In fact, pretty much all of them. Blasphemy is a powerful area effect that (usually) excludes allies, Dominate Monster is a 9th-level spell... in fact, all of those are powerful or useful spell-like abilities, and not one of them has a spell level lower than 5th, which is pretty powerful at 7th level. You might give Greater Dispel and Telekinesis at 10th or something like that, but delay the others until at least 15th or 16th level; most of them are powerful enough to warrant it.

Other than that, looks pretty good—you haven't fallen for the mistake of giving too many hit dice at low levels, which is particularly dangerous with outsiders. A lot of the Savage Species monster classes make that mistake, and end up powerful at low levels and falling behind at high levels.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I'd advise giving it less starting ability score adjustments; at this point, a level 1 Balor looks much more attractive than a fighter or almost any other comparable martial class.

And I would delay a lot of those spell-like abilities. In fact, pretty much all of them. Blasphemy is a powerful area effect that (usually) excludes allies, Dominate Monster is a 9th-level spell... in fact, all of those are powerful or useful spell-like abilities, and not one of them has a spell level lower than 5th, which is pretty powerful at 7th level. You might give Greater Dispel and Telekinesis at 10th or something like that, but delay the others until at least 15th or 16th level; most of them are powerful enough to warrant it.

Other than that, looks pretty good—you haven't fallen for the mistake of giving too many hit dice at low levels, which is particularly dangerous with outsiders. A lot of the Savage Species monster classes make that mistake, and end up powerful at low levels and falling behind at high levels.
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if all those SLAs at low level was a bad idea, so now I know for sure.
    And yeah, I try to keep things as even as possible without making it a robot.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

An Epic monster class? This is an abomination.

Errr... In a good way...
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    An Epic monster class? This is an abomination.

Errr... In a good way...
    Glad to hear it.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the starting racial traits you need to put the thing about it being Large. The -1 to hit/AC and whatnot.

Also, I think that the first level may be a bit much. +2 to two stats with no penalties, 5 Resist to four elements, a free MW weapon, two Natural Attacks, and +3 Nat Armor is a lot of bonuses. May want to delay some of that stuff.

Just my 2cp.
    Last edited by Elistan; 2009-06-09 at 03:10 PM.
    Cool Valkyrie Avatar by Edwin!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thing: that picture looks more like some kind of half-dragon balor (think I've heard of something like that somewhere) than a regular balor. Just noting. Class looks good, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Balor Monster Class

Cool class.
    Post links of any pit fiend/solar monster class you make.
    Please?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
    In the starting racial traits you need to put the thing about it being Large. The -1 to hit/AC and whatnot.

Also, I think that the first level may be a bit much. +2 to two stats with no penalties, 5 Resist to four elements, a free MW weapon, two Natural Attacks, and +3 Nat Armor is a lot of bonuses. May want to delay some of that stuff.

Just my 2cp.
    Monster classes are not an exact science, so to speak. It gets a lot right away but less so as it advances, seeing as they retain the same number of hp over their two first levels and no armor proficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    Another thing: that picture looks more like some kind of half-dragon balor (think I've heard of something like that somewhere) than a regular balor. Just noting. Class looks good, though.
    I suppose I could find a better one, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    It happens to me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Cool class.
    Post links of any pit fiend/solar monster class you make.
    Please?
    Whenever they get done.

Spoiler
    Show