New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Anybody Know What "Battle Master Builds" are in Tasha's?

So the table of contents has "battlemaster Builds" listed under the fighters updates, after subclasses and alternate features and new maneuvers. does anyone knows what these are? New abilities? just suggested builds for Battlemaster? if so why rint builds only for that subclass? I've never seen anyone have issues with playing or flavoring it before.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Anybody Know What "Battle Master Builds" are in Tasha's?

I believe they are there to make fighter players never have to build their own character. So likely they want battle master to be the new default fighter with the ability to auto build a character.
    Last edited by Teaguethebean; 2020-10-31 at 04:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    I believe they are there to make fighter players never have to build their own character. So likely they want battle master to be the new default fighter with the ability to auto build a character.
    As it should always have been. I am heavily in favour of the idea of letting all Fighters use Superiority Dice and Battle Maneuvers as part of the class' core chassis, like it was in the playtest material IIRC.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    As it should always have been. I am heavily in favour of the idea of letting all Fighters use Superiority Dice and Battle Maneuvers as part of the class' core chassis, like it was in the playtest material IIRC.
    But it isn't that, really, it's just a few thematic packages for the battlemaster. E.g. "A gladiator might take these maneuvers; an archer might take these."

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    But it isn't that, really, it's just a few thematic packages for the battlemaster. E.g. "A gladiator might take these maneuvers; an archer might take these."
    "It is" as in it has been leaked, or "it is" as in we suspect? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the Tasha's leaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

"It is" as in it has been leaked, or "it is" as in we suspect? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the Tasha's leaks.
    It isn't this:
    I am heavily in favour of the idea of letting all Fighters use Superiority Dice and Battle Maneuvers as part of the class' core chassis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So the table of contents has "battlemaster Builds" listed under the fighters updates, after subclasses and alternate features and new maneuvers. does anyone knows what these are? New abilities? just suggested builds for Battlemaster? if so why rint builds only for that subclass? I've never seen anyone have issues with playing or flavoring it before.
    Battle Master Builds are basically just suggestions of what options to take to make X flavor of Battle Master.

It's really just to help building your character quickly.

It wasn't a leak, but it was part of a preview pic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The Battle Master Builds are thematically picked pre-selected maneuver lists.

Its designed for more inexperienced players so they aren't overwhelmed at the large number of selectable maneuvers, to make it more user friendly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

From what it looks like, it’s just “Apparently there are some people who have trouble building the Battlemaster... somehow. So hey here’s a list of suggested maneuvers and feats for a couple of potential builds. If you want to play an archer maybe take the Sharpshooter feat and the maneuvers Precision Attack and Goading Attack.”

To me seems like something that would have been useful back when the PHB was written, but now seems kinda silly 6 years in. Battlemasters aren’t even that hard to build. And I guarantee you at least one of them will suggest the player picks the Lunging Attack or something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

They said something about this on one of the DnDbeyone videos. I think its just going over different builds. Like if you want to play a archer type you might want x, h, and I battle maneuvers. If you want to play a army general you might want f,e,and l maneuvers.