New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout Equestria: Pie and Predation

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinale View Post
    "It wasn't, but you'd have to understand what the Emperor did to keep the nation from collapsing. The Emperor used to be thought of being the one to move the sun until Alicorns were discovered, and when most of the country learned that the Emperor had no special powers, the moral authority his ancestors had almost evaporated overnight except for everyone in the same room as him. When he came to power, he altered the government's stance on shrines and temples so that they became part of the bureaucracy; they really didn't fund it too much more then they had, but they made it so that participating in shrine activities was the most basic aspect of being Neighponese. About halfway though the war, though, there were several members of the higher ups who were closely aligned with the Imperial ideology, the same people who'd support the new Emperor. The board that made the new tournament thought the nation itself was impure after accepting the use of guns, so they thought that the most suitable penance was to have some initiates ritually kill each other to make it clear that the individual value of a solder was lesser than it ever had been and that one Neighponese solder needed to fight with the skill of many more in order to survive, or something stupid like that. They might had some sort of master plan that involved creating a new army core that was even more elite and smaller than it already was, but I never learned of it." \
    "Huh..." Viridia considered something. "I wonder why there aren't more ghoul leaders in the wasteland. Just about all of them have a lot of life experience, practical stuff if they've lived up to now, and all the time in the world to learn."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

"I live to serve!" Bertly said, sounding about as enthusiastic as Butch was trying to wolf down two hundred year old canned food.
    Doc smiles warmly in Bertly's direction.

"I knew many wizards. Some use dark magic, but most do not. There are no magic laws, but illusions are not popular, and magic that can change ponies thoughts and feelings are also not liked." Mirror replied, "My sister is a wizard, but I do not think you would want to see her."
    "We can certainly do with less dark magic around here. Snowflake was not pleasant to fight," Doc says. He pauses a moment then asks, "It sounds like magic that affects your senses are considered bad. Why are no laws made to ban them? Just no support by the ruler to make the law?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    "Huh..." Viridia considered something. "I wonder why there aren't more ghoul leaders in the wasteland. Just about all of them have a lot of life experience, practical stuff if they've lived up to now, and all the time in the world to learn."
    Fan Knife shook her head, and a brief look of surprise appeared on her face before vanishing.

"Becoming a ghoul instead of dying is entirely random, and I don't think you can understand that the vast majority of Equestrians back then were not strong ponies. They spent their entire lives trying to separate themselves from any kind of hardship, and most threw themselves into the systems they built to try and escape the fact that the war wasn't going to end peacefully. As soon as all those systems collapsed, I'd say that most of the ghouls that were made either tried to retreat to somewhere safe and pretend the world didn't end or go insane because they woke up and they had worms under their skin. I mean, look at the hospital; there were only a few ponies who became ghouls out of about several hundred patients and doctors, and out of them I'd guess myself, my sister, Tenaculum, and that Strata mare were the only ones who didn't have a mental breakdown after they woke up, and those last two did mostly nothing for centuries until you guys woke them up.

I'd say you're average Equestrian ghoul used to be a office worker or something useless like that, and if they could get pass the idea that their living years were mostly meaningless because their company doesn't exist anymore and their life will never be better than it used to be, then they'd still need to be able to survive in the wasteland, which they probably wont and they'll probably go feral anyway because it actually doesn't matter if they do their best if they wake up one day and hear their wife's voice coming from their pistol or whatever. Most ghouls that have made it this far have done so because they've resisted changing as a person as much as possible, because at a certain point I don't think becoming a ghoul has made any wartime Equestrian a better person."

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Doc smiles warmly in Bertly's direction.
    Bertly probably would've smiled back, if he wasn't a Mr. Handy.

"We can certainly do with less dark magic around here. Snowflake was not pleasant to fight," Doc says. He pauses a moment then asks, "It sounds like magic that affects your senses are considered bad. Why are no laws made to ban them? Just no support by the ruler to make the law?"
    Mirror seemed to find the idea to be strange.

"Some times they are needed." Mirror replied, shaking her head slightly, "But they are not needed most of the time. Most wizards who make fake images or fake feelings are not common or strong and defenses against them made into magic items that are common and easy to find."
    Last edited by Dalinale; 2018-08-06 at 06:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

"Some times they are needed." Mirror replied, shaking her head slightly, "But they are not needed most of the time. Most wizards who make fake images or fake feelings are not common or strong and defenses against them made into magic items that are common and easy to find."
    Doc nods in understanding. He was just genuinely curious about magical laws. "How are the laws made in Everfrost? Is it solely the queen or do you have a court that votes on them? Just wondering how it works there compared to what someone like Abbas might want to do."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Choro seems to be fiddling with her small pile of personal possessions in one corner of the bus. However, her ears perk at the conversation turning towards Everfrost. She doesn't interrupt, but it's easy to tell the little mare is listening intently to this. She didn't want to pester Ms. Mirror about the matter but a land of unicorns was so intriguing. Better than the stupid land of pegasi jerks. At least Everfrost didn't betray Equestria, they were just never on the same page as us to start with.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Moonshadow went down the stairs without issue; the ceiling was ribbed, while torch holders poked out between every pair of pillars carved into the wall itself. Soon, however, she found herself standing in front of a chamber that looked more like a museme set than a functioning room.

The room itself had a simple layout; to her left were two very old looking desks with two very old looking wooden chairs in front of them, the desks messily covered in papers and each having a ink well and quill present. To her right was single very large filing cabinet, eight cabinets high and ten cabinets wide and with a top bearing the load of several large square baskets, as well as a large wooden dresser with opaque glass doors that were dusty enough determine what was inside was impossible.

The far end of the room was slightly raised, and had a small square alter of sorts, one with a flat head and a rounded base and four lit candles on top of it, one on each corner. Directly behind the alter was a small, abstract marble statue of a alicorn wearing a shawl, about the size of a filly; the statue's features were vague, but a pair of wings and a horn was present, but there were no signs of a mouth or eyes.

Directly behind the alter was a set of large stone doors that blended in rather well with the walls themselves; they didn't appear locked, and were cracked open, just slightly.
    Moonshadow couldn't help but sneer at the alicorn statue. Still she kept her guard up as she peered through the cracked open alter doors
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #67

Fan Knife shook her head, and a brief look of surprise appeared on her face before vanishing.

"
    I'd say you're average Equestrian ghoul used to be a office worker or something useless like that, and if they could get pass the idea that their living years were mostly meaningless because their company doesn't exist anymore and their life will never be better than it used to be, then they'd still need to be able to survive in the wasteland, which they probably wont and they'll probably go feral anyway because it actually doesn't matter if they do their best if they wake up one day and hear their wife's voice coming from their pistol or whatever. Most ghouls that have made it this far have done so because they've resisted changing as a person as much as possible, because at a certain point I don't think becoming a ghoul has made any wartime Equestrian a better person."
    "I guess." Viridia conceded "Speaking of that, has your sister never looked into the feral problem? It seems like a real pain in the flank, and it's not like they'd have a choice about being test subjects."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Doc nods in understanding. He was just genuinely curious about magical laws. "How are the laws made in Everfrost? Is it solely the queen or do you have a court that votes on them? Just wondering how it works there compared to what someone like Abbas might want to do."
    "Our laws are made from ancient sources, and are open and not precise." Mirror said, not sounding confident in her word choice but sounding like she was sticking with it, "Every two years, all the law speakers gather at the capital and review complex cases, and they take copies of the revised books of laws back to their villages if changes are made. When a wrong is done, the lord is the judge and it is solved through exchanges of gold, property, or other crimes. It it the judges right to make the punishment for a crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Choro seems to be fiddling with her small pile of personal possessions in one corner of the bus. However, her ears perk at the conversation turning towards Everfrost. She doesn't interrupt, but it's easy to tell the little mare is listening intently to this. She didn't want to pester Ms. Mirror about the matter but a land of unicorns was so intriguing. Better than the stupid land of pegasi jerks. At least Everfrost didn't betray Equestria, they were just never on the same page as us to start with.
    Choro found that the dog had decided to sit in front of her at some point, and was looking at her with the unlimited affection inherent in such specimens of dog kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Moonshadow couldn't help but sneer at the alicorn statue. Still she kept her guard up as she peered through the cracked open alter doors
    Moonshadow found herself staring down... what looked like a old-ass library of moderate size. There was no sign of any stumpy ghouls or pretty pegasi around, anywhere.

"I guess." Viridia conceded "Speaking of that, has your sister never looked into the feral problem? It seems like a real pain in the flank, and it's not like they'd have a choice about being test subjects."
    "From what she's seen, it's not reversible." Fan Knife said, stepping out into the mouth of the cavern and turned back out towards the abyss, looking out at where the crystal outcrop was, "Some ghouls woke up feral because they snapped as soon as they woke up, or were conscious for a decade while their bodies rotted away. But it's more of a long-term process."

9. - Top - End - #69

"Our laws are made from ancient sources, and are open and not precise." Mirror said, not sounding confident in her word choice but sounding like she was sticking with it, "Every two years, all the law speakers gather at the capital and review complex cases, and they take copies of the revised books of laws back to their villages if changes are made. When a wrong is done, the lord is the judge and it is solved through exchanges of gold, property, or other crimes. It it the judges right to make the punishment for a crime."
    "Judges? I think I read a history book about Equestria having those once," Doc says. He looks to Choro. "Hey, Choro, Equestria had judges once, right? Handled law and punishments?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Moonshadow found herself staring down... what looked like a old-ass library of moderate size. There was no sign of any stumpy ghouls or pretty pegasi around, anywhere.
    Moonshadow stifled a sigh. How is she not showing up on this thing? Also is there no pony around at all? Maybe it's broken. Moonshadow thought, staring at her Pipbuck's EFS as she slowly scanned the room.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #71

"From what she's seen, it's not reversible." Fan Knife said, stepping out into the mouth of the cavern and turned back out towards the abyss, looking out at where the crystal outcrop was, "Some ghouls woke up feral because they snapped as soon as they woke up, or were conscious for a decade while their bodies rotted away. But it's more of a long-term process."
    "Hm, a shame. You'd hope that somepony would be looking into fixing that problem." Viridia said.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The little wizard hums, not even pretending to not be following the conversation now. This whole question of a foreign land of unicorns was too fascinating by half. Once Mirror's done, C tilts her head quizzically. "So... what do the law speakers do? Try to talk to the lord about how the crime fits within the law? Intemperate the laws?"

Choro found that the dog had decided to sit in front of her at some point, and was looking at her with the unlimited affection inherent in such specimens of dog kind.
    "Aww..." Choro can't help but gently pet the big fellow, smiling back at it. It was nice to see a face that didn't judge her, or that she hadn't disappointed. She briefly checks her bag to see if she had anything appropriate to provide the dog in terms of food.

"Judges? I think I read a history book about Equestria having those once," Doc says. He looks to Choro. "Hey, Choro, Equestria had judges once, right? Handled law and punishments?"
    Choro looks up from her search to smile at Doc, "Yes, that's right. They weren't lords though, they were independent officials. Celestia sometimes heard cases but most of the time a very wise pony knowledgeable about the law oversaw the presentation of events to a jury: a group of mares and stallions of the public. The jury had the power to decide guilt or innocence, while the judge used past law and precedent to determine the sentence, if the pony accused was found guilty."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonshadow stifled a sigh. How is she not showing up on this thing? Also is there no pony around at all? Maybe it's broken. Moonshadow thought, staring at her Pipbuck's EFS as she slowly scanned the room.
    According to EFS, there wasn't even a radroach down here. In addition, the book cases themselves nearly reached the low roof, causing her immediate visibility of the area to be highly limited. Sickeningly, it appeared that the only real way to determine what was in front of her was to venture forward into the dark, ancient-seeming chamber.

"Your home has no laws?" Mirror asked, sounding somewhat alarmed.

The little wizard hums, not even pretending to not be following the conversation now. This whole question of a foreign land of unicorns was too fascinating by half. Once Mirror's done, C tilts her head quizzically. "So... what do the law speakers do? Try to talk to the lord about how the crime fits within the law? Intemperate the laws?"
    "In villages, they advise elders and make sure all know the laws. When they are with lords, they make sure their rulings are put down and discussed if they are problematic to them." Mirror replied.

"Aww..." Choro can't help but gently pet the big fellow, smiling back at it. It was nice to see a face that didn't judge her, or that she hadn't disappointed. She briefly checks her bag to see if she had anything appropriate to provide the dog in terms of food.
    The amount of pure, unadulterated love coming off the dog was a rare thing in the world, and while Choro went to open her bag, it started to lick her free hoof, as if it was trying to get any bit of melting snow off from it.

Choro looks up from her search to smile at Doc, "Yes, that's right. They weren't lords though, they were independent officials. Celestia sometimes heard cases but most of the time a very wise pony knowledgeable about the law oversaw the presentation of events to a jury: a group of mares and stallions of the public. The jury had the power to decide guilt or innocence, while the judge used past law and precedent to determine the sentence, if the pony accused was found guilty."
    Bertly, hovering nearby, appeared to be polishing a rather randomly placed plate that was lying about, quietly making a whistling noise as if he was in some kitchen somewhere.

"Hm, a shame. You'd hope that somepony would be looking into fixing that problem." Viridia said.
    Fan Knife shrugged. "It can't be solved, it's totally beyond what she can do. She can do everything except raising the dead, but once they're dead she pretty much has to rely on her anatomy knowledge and the fact that ghouls can stay alive along as they're structurally intact, pretty much. It's more of a problem of the soul than the body, really, but that's entirely out of her knowledge base. After a certain point, I'd say that ponies are not supposed to even live much longer then they normally do without having the right sort of body, and after a certain point their brains would just get so full of stuff they'd either go catatonic or just snap. I mean, except for me and my sister. I'd say she could live forever, if she really wanted. I don't think I will, but I'm mentally fit and my sister has kept my muscles from decaying as much as they should have. A ghoul like Tenaculum probably would've lived for as long as he wanted, but I'd give Strata a few decades before she goes nuts or starts chewing on pencils to pretend to not start craving pony flesh or something. I hate to say it, but ghoul bodies usually are a good indicator if they're all right in the head. There's something to the idea that the more that one looks like a pony, the more they feel like a pony where it counts and they don't start slipping."

14. - Top - End - #74

"Your home has no laws?" Mirror asked, sounding somewhat alarmed.
    "Nothing as organized as what your home has," Doc replies. He glances around. "The war destroyed just about every government office, so each settlement makes up their own laws. It would be nice if Abbas can pull off uniting everyone in this city under a common set of fair laws. How do the law speakers get their position? Are they appointed?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #75

Fan Knife shrugged. "It can't be solved, it's totally beyond what she can do. She can do everything except raising the dead, but once they're dead she pretty much has to rely on her anatomy knowledge and the fact that ghouls can stay alive along as they're structurally intact, pretty much. It's more of a problem of the soul than the body, really, but that's entirely out of her knowledge base. After a certain point, I'd say that ponies are not supposed to even live much longer then they normally do without having the right sort of body, and after a certain point their brains would just get so full of stuff they'd either go catatonic or just snap. I mean, except for me and my sister. I'd say she could live forever, if she really wanted. I don't think I will, but I'm mentally fit and my sister has kept my muscles from decaying as much as they should have. A ghoul like Tenaculum probably would've lived for as long as he wanted, but I'd give Strata a few decades before she goes nuts or starts chewing on pencils to pretend to not start craving pony flesh or something. I hate to say it, but ghoul bodies usually are a good indicator if they're all right in the head. There's something to the idea that the more that one looks like a pony, the more they feel like a pony where it counts and they don't start slipping."
    "Couldn't you just, like, take a Ghoul brain and put it in a robot body or something? Maybe grow some flesh to make it more real? I know there's flesh-making tech, since that crappy meat factory had something like that." Viridia asked. "Or would that be too disconnected, like you're a ghost in a shell?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing as organized as what your home has," Doc replies. He glances around. "The war destroyed just about every government office, so each settlement makes up their own laws. It would be nice if Abbas can pull off uniting everyone in this city under a common set of fair laws. How do the law speakers get their position? Are they appointed?"
    "They take apprentices, and if they have too many, they are sent to serve elsewhere." Mirror replied, sounding as if the concept of total anarchy deeply confused her.

"Couldn't you just, like, take a Ghoul brain and put it in a robot body or something? Maybe grow some flesh to make it more real? I know there's flesh-making tech, since that crappy meat factory had something like that." Viridia asked. "Or would that be too disconnected, like you're a ghost in a shell?"
    Fan Knife gave Viridia a look of mild confusion, and then shook her head.

"It's not that simple." Fan Knife said, after some time of deliberation, "The shock of putting a pony brain in a artificial body is almost as bad in the long term as a pony turning into a ghoul. My sister has made clones of herself before with her old genetic material, but trying to get unliving matter to interact properly with living matter is basically impossible. You could play around with clones and artificial bodies and other stuff, but in the end none of those actually solve anything. My sister's skin-suit is close, but that needs to be totally replaced every few weeks. She can't make a living clone body immune to radiation or necromantic energy, because a ghoul brain wouldn't be compatable with one, and ghouls and Equestrian technology don't interact well, you just need to head over to Canterlot for proof of that. There are some ghouls that used to be rich and weird Equestrians before the bombs who could probably convince her to start researching it again, but ..."

Pausing briefly, she looked down into the misty ground, and shook her head. She sounded hesitant to speak, but kept talking anyway.

"My sister wouldn't want me to tell you this, but she did try and do something like you're talking about, really early on. It's not in the hospital, but the Ministry of Peace hub in this city had a medical pod designed for extreme cases that could reverse things that the Equestrian government didn't even want to alert their citizens existed, like advanced cases of Poison Joke. So, my sister went down there and came out of it completely alive. And she was alive, there was no sign of radiation or necromantic energy anywhere, and she needed to eat and sleep like anyone else. The thing is, though, is that after a week or so, her organs started to fail, and in about a month she was functionally undead again, but she felt it that time instead of not realizing it when it happened before. At that point, she came to the conclusion that whatever turns ponies into ghouls is as much a disease of the soul as it is of the body. But she doesn't like to go around saying that, because there's some ghouls who haven't gone feral on the hope that there is some sort of cure, and she really doesn't think she actually cured anything doing what she did, she just stopped the symptoms for a few days." she finished, biting her lower lip nervously.
    Last edited by Dalinale; 2018-08-10 at 06:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

According to EFS, there wasn't even a radroach down here. In addition, the book cases themselves nearly reached the low roof, causing her immediate visibility of the area to be highly limited. Sickeningly, it appeared that the only real way to determine what was in front of her was to venture forward into the dark, ancient-seeming chamber.
    This seems familiar. Moonshadow thought, entering the magical darkness, as she recalled that whiny foal who wanted a book or something? Whatever, it likely wasn't important.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #78

"They start as apprentices. I think here they went to law school or something." Doc looks over to Choro. "Jury? I like that concept, C. I guess it would be fair if you're judged by a group of your peers."

Doc looked out the bus windows at the cold night. "Hope it's not going to be too much longer... guess while we're waiting is there anything left we need to do? Something to get, any goodbyes to say? Maybe to Tirkes and Amadi."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #79

she finished, biting her lower lip nervously.
    "Huh. You know what would probably work? If somepony turned the entire Mages Guild into Ghouls. Then, I bet the lot of them would work their butts off to cure it and probably do something. Magic's probably pretty good at fixing magic."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems familiar. Moonshadow thought, entering the magical darkness, as she recalled that whiny foal who wanted a book or something? Whatever, it likely wasn't important.
    Moonshadow found herself passing by rows and rows of ancient bookshelves sporting equally ancient, boring books. It smelled of mold, old stone, and wood. Navigating though it wasn't particularly bad; normally, this would be the place in the fantasy movie where one of the books would try and get bitey, but a quick glance at the shelves indicated that there wasn't much in the way of carnivorous catalogs, merely mundane ancient texts.

[Need a Perception test.]

This continued for a while until she came to a clearing; said clearing opened up to nothing less than a wall of black silk curtains, suspended from the ceiling. They were a shade of utter black that was only interrupted by the occasional splotch of blues purples and the faintest traces of pale other-colors. There wasn't much of a breeze, but Moonshadow could see the faintest traces of rippling on silken surface, as if her very breath disturbed the quiet, dark place.

[Need Perception, Luck, and Charisma rolls on passing though.]

"They start as apprentices. I think here they went to law school or something." Doc looks over to Choro. "Jury? I like that concept, C. I guess it would be fair if you're judged by a group of your peers."
    "In Sunnyside, Sari was the judge and the jury was also her." Mirror said, sounding as if she hoped that helped.

Doc looked out the bus windows at the cold night. "Hope it's not going to be too much longer... guess while we're waiting is there anything left we need to do? Something to get, any goodbyes to say? Maybe to Tirkes and Amadi."
    "I am satisfied with leaving here forever." Mirror said, sounding cheerful, "The ponies here are nice, but Snow was here, and this is a silly place."

"Huh. You know what would probably work? If somepony turned the entire Mages Guild into Ghouls. Then, I bet the lot of them would work their butts off to cure it and probably do something. Magic's probably pretty good at fixing magic."
    "Eh, half of them are already hopped up on a stupid unicorn drug." Fan Knife said, stopping briefly and taking a moment to adjust the weight she was carrying on her back now that she wasn't trying to not fall off a slippery crystal slope, sounding as if the thought amused her, "I don't think anyone would be out to get you except for them if you irradiated their water cooler or something like that. I think one of their founders was a ghoul, but I don't know their current policy on them. But knowing them, one of them would try and turn into some kind of wierd undead monster and try and conquer this stupid continent, and the half of them team up with them because they've been waiting for someone to try and become a evil undead alicorn or something dumb like that."
    Last edited by Dalinale; 2018-08-11 at 05:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

"In Sunnyside, Sari was the judge and the jury was also her." Mirror said, sounding as if she hoped that helped.

"I am satisfied with leaving here forever." Mirror said, sounding cheerful, "The ponies here are nice, but Snow was here, and this is a silly place."
    "I guess we'll find out if her brother is the same way. Well, this place did have nice ponies; Nightcore, Saltmarsh, Seaweed... oh. I noticed you figured out who her father is too." Doc smiled at Mirror's cleverness.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-08-11 at 11:54 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #82

"Eh, half of them are already hopped up on a stupid unicorn drug." Fan Knife said, stopping briefly and taking a moment to adjust the weight she was carrying on her back now that she wasn't trying to not fall off a slippery crystal slope, sounding as if the thought amused her, "I don't think anyone would be out to get you except for them if you irradiated their water cooler or something like that. I think one of their founders was a ghoul, but I don't know their current policy on them. But knowing them, one of them would try and turn into some kind of wierd undead monster and try and conquer this stupid continent, and the half of them team up with them because they've been waiting for someone to try and become a evil undead alicorn or something dumb like that."
    "Yeah...or they'd find a cure and instead distribute treatments that never fully work, at a premium, to keep ponies hooked. And then use the complete cure only to get significant ghouls on their side, or owing them a favor, or whatever."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Moonshadow looked around as she moved.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception (1d10)[9] vs 10

Perception again for the curtains (1d10)[2] vs 10
    Charisma (1d10)[1] vs 6
    Luck (1d10)[8] vs 4
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"I guess we'll find out if her brother is the same way. Well, this place did have nice ponies; Nightcore, Saltmarsh, Seaweed... oh. I noticed you figured out who her father is too." Doc smiled at Mirror's cleverness.
    Mirror's relative good cheer seemed to sour for some reason at the mention of the filly, but she shook her head and continued to smile.

"And it is Abbas's now." she said finally, "And that is good, and there will be no Livewires or Snows anymore."

"Yeah...or they'd find a cure and instead distribute treatments that never fully work, at a premium, to keep ponies hooked. And then use the complete cure only to get significant ghouls on their side, or owing them a favor, or whatever."
    Fan Knife, after a few moments of staring at Viridia in apparent mild shock, shook her head and started to move at a pace that could be considered to be about as fast as the filly could go while ascending up the path the crystal cave provided. Soon enough, the darkness of the stone began to give way to the eye-searing rainbow.

"First off, I wouldn't say anything like that to my sister, she spent a lot of money trying to get to a city where the Equestrian healthcare system didn't work like that." Fan Knife said dryly, "Also, you're giving them too much credit. They're leader might be strong, but she has a very loose hoof over their operations and I'm pretty sure whoever's heading their internal affairs council is incompetent or corrupt, or don't know half of what's going on. My sister once spoke to three different high-ranking members over the course of a month for three different projects, and none of them apparently knew that the others had gone to her even though they were all dealing with pretty serious issues. One had a pregnancy that looked like it was compromised by taint mutation, another had caught some sort of rare unicorn disease that was causing calcification crystals to grow in their nasal cavities and lungs, while the other got screwed up in some kind of abstract magical ritual or something. Anyway, the first one got saved, the foal came out with a little tendril instead of a horn and that got cured real fast, the crystal guy got his surgery, and the other dude got murdered after paying for the initial treatment and I'm pretty sure my sis just forgot about him. Those were the higher ups who had offices in their main headquarters, and I'm pretty sure that they all headed their own little unicorn circles."

Fan Knife continued to move briskly, and started to speak again when they were a little bit past the halfway point, very near to the entrance. Viridia did not feel the same sense of disorientation she had previously felt, possibly due to having something weighing her down to reality.

"I don't think there's any really important Equestrians who ended up becoming ghouls, actually."
    Fan Knife said suddenly, sounding rather cheerful at the topic of the devastation of the Equestrian ruling class in terms of their annihilation by the necromantic inferno, and giggled in a way that could only really be described as nasty, "My sister was once Hoity Toity's facelift doctor, and last time I checked he's in Hoofington trying to keep all the inbred great-grandkids of all his old celebrity friends from murdering each other, but that's it. The Equestrian royal family all died in Canterlot and the Stable for the rest of their high society was compromised; you sometimes get a pony who claims that they're descended from some prince or whatever, but that's just a Equestrian thing and you never really see any ghouls trying to pretend to be one, probably because they know how they acted. The only ghouls I know that managed to drag themselves off that mountain was that Guild founder, that guy was a piece of work. I only knew about him because he was a old stallion who got made irrelevant when that Sparkle ministry mare totally revolutionized what magic meant to Equestria, so he just became a anti-zebra reactionary who kept going to the only parts of Equestria with non-pony populations to stir up trouble. Something Neigh, or Night or something like that, Canterlot unicorns have weird names. Anyway, besides some ex-military propping up the Reavers and that General Winter who keeps yaks out from Stalliongrad, that's it. You could probably get all the important ghouls who are worth anything in a office meeting room."

Moonshadow looked around as she moved.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception [roll0] vs 10

Perception again for the curtains [roll1] vs 10
    Charisma [roll2] vs 6
    Luck [roll3] vs 4
    Moonshadow found herself standing on a vast white plain, pitted and pockmarked with craters. When she looked up, and she did need to do so, she found herself looking up at a field of stars; improbably, in the corner of her eye, she saw a hint of blue and green and brown, and the bright light of the sun. For a few moments, there was the sensation that the mere feeling of looking upwards would send her spirally into a truly eternal night, to be the guest of whatever existed in the yawning gulfs between the stars, or of the stars, but...

The more she looked, the stars formed no familiar, threatening shapes; a Ursa Major or some other horrid monstrosity from legend was not to detach itself from the cosmos, and Nightmare Moon did not drop down on some fancy chariot. Instead, it seemed that the longer she looked, the more it was clear that she had called a bluff.

And at that, Moonshadow found herself not to be standing on the moon, but on solid ground. The curtains were behind her, now still. She was standing in front of a rather old stone door that appeared to have been recently pried open. Behind it was a crystalline cavern.

Moonshadow heard movement, and the muttering of voices.

25. - Top - End - #85

Mirror's relative good cheer seemed to sour for some reason at the mention of the filly, but she shook her head and continued to smile.

"And it is Abbas's now." she said finally, "And that is good, and there will be no Livewires or Snows anymore."
    "Yeah, if I never meet another Snow, I'll be perfectly happy for the rest of my days. As for Livewire..." Doc pauses a moment. "Eh, she means well even if she has a really weird way of seeing things. Well, I'm pretty sure there's no other pony like her."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-08-12 at 08:06 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"It also paints a target on their back."

Choro finally looked up from playing with A Very Good Dog to address Mirror. Her statement had gotten a frown from the little wizard, but rather than getting more emotional she simply shrugs, "Just saying. I know you said they were attacked by pirates before. I know that anytown in the Wasteland is going to have to deal with raiders sooner or later, and the presence of those griffons would deter that. But now, anypony who dislikes Abaas has a reason to wish Oakville ill. And if he keeps trying to solidify control of Tauronto..."

She looks outside for a moment. The green glow of the Broadcast Tower is still visible in the sky. Humming to herself, Choro turns back to Mirror. "It's a trade. Safety from one threat to invite another. Border towns in the Unicornian era sometimes went through a similar dilemma: swearing fealty to the Bullion line would allow them some security against bandits, but less so from rival kingdoms or any independent pony with the will to give the king a bloody nuzzle. Safer for them than trying to attack the capitol."

"Yeah, if I never meet another Snow, I'll be perfectly happy for the rest of my days. As for Livewire..." Doc pauses a moment. "Eh, she means well even if she has a really weird way of seeing things. Well, I'm pretty sure there's no other pony like her."
    The little wizard nods, slowly considering Doc's analysis of Livewire against what she'd seen of the overenergized unicorn. "She seemed nice. Apart from being kinda crazy. I'd like to meet her again when she's not being affected by all those drugs."

27. - Top - End - #87

The little wizard nods, slowly considering Doc's analysis of Livewire against what she'd seen of the overenergized unicorn. "She seemed nice. Apart from being kinda crazy. I'd like to meet her again when she's not being affected by all those drugs."
    "I'm pretty sure Live will stick around Oakville, cause she sounded like she had big plans to help this town. Hopefully she stays off the drugs this time. She's lucky I happened by or she'd probably be dead by morning."

Doc glances outside to see what Choro was looking at. Ah, the tower. "I reckon if Abbas does unite all the little settlements together, they'd have a stronger defense against the new threats. United they'd be something far stronger than their parts, wouldn't they?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #88

"You could probably get all the important ghouls who are worth anything in a office meeting room."
    "Not if you find a way to turn ponies into ghouls." Viridia pointed out. "Then anyone is a potential lackey."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Moonshadow found herself standing on a vast white plain, pitted and pockmarked with craters. When she looked up, and she did need to do so, she found herself looking up at a field of stars; improbably, in the corner of her eye, she saw a hint of blue and green and brown, and the bright light of the sun. For a few moments, there was the sensation that the mere feeling of looking upwards would send her spirally into a truly eternal night, to be the guest of whatever existed in the yawning gulfs between the stars, or of the stars, but...

The more she looked, the stars formed no familiar, threatening shapes; a Ursa Major or some other horrid monstrosity from legend was not to detach itself from the cosmos, and Nightmare Moon did not drop down on some fancy chariot. Instead, it seemed that the longer she looked, the more it was clear that she had called a bluff.

And at that, Moonshadow found herself not to be standing on the moon, but on solid ground. The curtains were behind her, now still. She was standing in front of a rather old stone door that appeared to have been recently pried open. Behind it was a crystalline cavern.

Moonshadow heard movement, and the muttering of voices.
    Moonshadow checked her Pipbuck and tried to sneak up on the voices.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Sneak: (1d100)[72] vs 96
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"It also paints a target on their back."

Choro finally looked up from playing with A Very Good Dog to address Mirror. Her statement had gotten a frown from the little wizard, but rather than getting more emotional she simply shrugs, "Just saying. I know you said they were attacked by pirates before. I know that anytown in the Wasteland is going to have to deal with raiders sooner or later, and the presence of those griffons would deter that. But now, anypony who dislikes Abaas has a reason to wish Oakville ill. And if he keeps trying to solidify control of Tauronto..."

She looks outside for a moment. The green glow of the Broadcast Tower is still visible in the sky. Humming to herself, Choro turns back to Mirror. "It's a trade. Safety from one threat to invite another. Border towns in the Unicornian era sometimes went through a similar dilemma: swearing fealty to the Bullion line would allow them some security against bandits, but less so from rival kingdoms or any independent pony with the will to give the king a bloody nuzzle. Safer for them than trying to attack the capitol."
    "It is no trade. A village with no protection could be a target for any lord." Mirror said suddenly, sounding very slightly bitter, "Having no side means that you are your own side."

"She was the same, but she talked slower." Mirror offered, "I hope she is not a Svašilfari type, but she could be happy if she helped the town."

Doc glances outside to see what Choro was looking at. Ah, the tower. "I reckon if Abbas does unite all the little settlements together, they'd have a stronger defense against the new threats. United they'd be something far stronger than their parts, wouldn't they?"
    "Why yes, that is how it generally works." Bertly piped up, sounding amiable, as if he was holding a cup of tea or something, "But what threats are there to fair Tauronto? If this Abbas activist gets everything sorted out, he will likely have his riches but have more bodies backing his goals, and wealth and hooves are the two great assets in these sorts of matters. Given that it isn't likely that he won't be jailed, than perhaps it would be best to questions the horse's motivations and passions, and to get something on him."

"Not if you find a way to turn ponies into ghouls." Viridia pointed out. "Then anyone is a potential lackey."
    Fan Knife, silently ascending, stopped for a few moments. Viridia saw the filly's ears twitch slightly, and then she continued walking again.

"There's easier ways to do that, though. Some ghouls treat each other like they're the only ones that matter, while others just think that they have a skin condition with some side effects. There isn't much unity anywhere except when there was some before the war, like the Reavers."

Fan Knife tilted her head back towards Viridia without ceasing her pace; while drained of the cheery malice it had before, she was still smiling.

"If you want to have a contingency plan, you could go through some of the books in the library, there's probably something in there to pull off something like you're thinking about. Normally, I'd say that messing with the Guild when it comes to magic would be bad even if you were prepared, but making them scramble would be pretty funny. Also," she said, looking forward again, "Moonshadow's coming down here, her wings are the smallest of your group so the noise is different."

Moonshadow checked her Pipbuck and tried to sneak up on the voices.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Sneak: [roll0] vs 96
    After a few moments, two green dots appeared rather suddenly near her, less than fifty feet (curse Pipbuck's vertically-challenged sensory system!). Soon, in the dark, she found the source of the voices; within the depths of the rainbow-colored cave were Viridia and Fan Knife, the latter staring straight at her, the small ball of lightning Viridia was carrying apparently not even being a factor in her ability to see her creeping towards them. The ghoul had a little smirk on her face.