New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Promised Neverland: Promises kept and broken (to be edited)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I kinda wish I did, honestly. That'd be rad, as much as I do love writing my books (and I intend to publish next year!) I'd of loved for them to be comics like I originally envisioned many moons ago.

Yeah, it seems a little faster paced than normal.
    Ah, I think you mentioned that before. Good luck on the publishing. But yeah, I guess making comics requires two very different skill sets, or a partner with the complementary skills.

Right now I'm also not sure what the narrative point of the side quest is, but I guess we'll see. But if there's no sense to it.....
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter today!

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Dr Faust for saving the day. I have little else to say.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter today!

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Dr Faust for saving the day. I have little else to say.
    Dr Faust?

I... feel like in MHA the perfect, second precision of this grinds on me... And if that's it I don't see the point of the sidequest still. Maybe I'm just grumpy, but apart from some curiosity who / what he is, I'd rather have cut two chapters and be with Minerva already.
    "What's done is done."

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Dr Faust?

I... feel like in MHA the perfect, second precision of this grinds on me... And if that's it I don't see the point of the sidequest still. Maybe I'm just grumpy, but apart from some curiosity who / what he is, I'd rather have cut two chapters and be with Minerva already.
    A good friend who is not evil at all. From Guilty Gear.

5. - Top - End - #155

New chapter, to celebrate the new year!

Spoiler
    Show
    It's Norman! This isn't a big surprise but still.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter, to celebrate the new year!

Spoiler
    Show
    It's Norman! This isn't a big surprise but still.
    Yeah, about as surprising as me probably not being satisfied with whatever explanation they'll come up with for him to have escaped. But maybe I'll be surprised and I will be happy.
    As things stand, I'm shocked the demons managed to keep this up for ten years, let alone centuries, considering their apparent ineptitude.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #157

Yeah, about as surprising as me probably not being satisfied with whatever explanation they'll come up with for him to have escaped. But maybe I'll be surprised and I will be happy.
    As things stand, I'm shocked the demons managed to keep this up for ten years, let alone centuries, considering their apparent ineptitude.
    I mean it's not like he needs to have escaped. They wanted him to join the Ratri clan, he did so. All he has to do from there is create a secondary life as a mystery badass.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

I mean it's not like he needs to have escaped. They wanted him to join the Ratri clan, he did so. All he has to do from there is create a secondary life as a mystery badass.
    Huh? Did they say that? All I can remember is him being in that secret facility.
    But even then... Him being able to do that still makes a whole race of demons and their human allies look pretty stupid. Or I'm still just salty.
    "What's done is done."

9. - Top - End - #159

Huh? Did they say that? All I can remember is him being in that secret facility.
    But even then... Him being able to do that still makes a whole race of demons and their human allies look pretty stupid. Or I'm still just salty.
    I'm pretty sure that was said...coulda swore it, anyway.

Eeeh, I feel much the same as well.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Putting together hints and implications throughout the series, I heavily suspect the demons are neurovores of sort. This also means they can absorb memories, personality, intelligence, or if you want to be short, the spirit of a person who's brain they eat. Related, I heavily suspect the existence of the more human-like, civilized demons is somehow reliant on them eating human brains, with some subspecies of demons having regressed to a bestial state due to being deprived of this vital dietary supplement.
    I'm fairly confident that next chapter, we'll learn if my guess holds up.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

They started breeding humans for brains, and eventually got them too smart - this might not have been a big problem in the past.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    They started breeding humans for brains, and eventually got them too smart - this might not have been a big problem in the past.
    I'm not sure if that's a serious remark or...
    If the demons really are after brains, which yes, some things suggest, they'd put a little effort into their big meat farms because I'm sure there's no reasonable amount of brain to harvest from those guys.

Spoiler
    Show

I hope we get some better insight into how Norman escaped because this short explanation was aggravatingly unsatisfactory. Also, between "all the supporters were killed" and "he passed his contacts to me" there seems a translation issue... but maybe the proper translation will be better.
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

All the supporters within the Ratri clan were purged. That still leaves escaped cattle children, like Emma's group, as potential contacts.

14. - Top - End - #164

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

I'll be honest Norman's adventures sound really exciting and I with we got to see them.

I guess next week we learn the dark truth of the world, and we leran that even if Norman is back, he's changed a lot.

@Kato: the official translation is "I inherited all his knowledge and network". So yeah, all the supporters are dead, but he got all of Smee's knowledge and secrets.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-20 at 05:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Meh.. I guess the distinction between rebels in the clan and "other people" is okay, though I'm still not sure who exactly it applies to, because humans not associated with Ratri in the world seems weird and it they also make it sound like Norman freed all the kids around there, not someone else. Or if so it's weird they haven't been hunted down. Or how Norman got all this knowledge from a dying man.
    Sorry, I'm probably too not picky about the phrasing. As long as we get more than 'I escaped' as an explanation I'm fine.

Am I too cynical if part of me wishes Norman was actually playing them because he realized that meat farms are critical for the demon civilization and he's actually working for them? I mean, it's not going to happen but I kind of wish it did.

Edit: not that I'm against the brain eater theory but before I forget again.. What's with our two demon outcasts? (I feel like we had this talk before but I forgot)
    Last edited by Kato; 2019-01-20 at 06:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Meh.. I guess the distinction between rebels in the clan and "other people" is okay, though I'm still not sure who exactly it applies to, because humans not associated with Ratri in the world seems weird and it they also make it sound like Norman freed all the kids around there, not someone else. Or if so it's weird they haven't been hunted down. Or how Norman got all this knowledge from a dying man.
    Sorry, I'm probably too not picky about the phrasing. As long as we get more than 'I escaped' as an explanation I'm fine.

Am I too cynical if part of me wishes Norman was actually playing them because he realized that meat farms are critical for the demon civilization and he's actually working for them? I mean, it's not going to happen but I kind of wish it did.

Edit: not that I'm against the brain eater theory but before I forget again.. What's with our two demon outcasts? (I feel like we had this talk before but I forgot)
    Those two demons that helped Emma's group are old-religion people. They hate modern society with it's mass produced meat.

In other words they're a combination of ye olde rednecks going out to shoot a deer and eat it and people wishing to preserve the well honoured tradition of The Hunt.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Those two demons that helped Emma's group are old-religion people. They hate modern society with it's mass produced meat.

In other words they're a combination of ye olde rednecks going out to shoot a deer and eat it and people wishing to preserve the well honoured tradition of The Hunt.
    Yeah, but the idea is that demons need human brains to stay smart / sentient if I understand it right. They don't eat humans /meat(?) so if demons need it, how do they manage to stay smart? I don't think they have nutritional supplements. And I don't think there are wild humans to hunt around.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #168

Yeah, but the idea is that demons need human brains to stay smart / sentient if I understand it right. They don't eat humans /meat(?) so if demons need it, how do they manage to stay smart? I don't think they have nutritional supplements. And I don't think there are wild humans to hunt around.
    It could be that there are humans out there that are having natural born children they hunt. Also consider they are only two cultists...it's entirely possible they're the only ones left, given how insular demon culture seems to be from the surface levels we've seen of it.

It may also be that they eat demons. We saw that one of the twins eating his sister/lover gave him her knowledge, that might be a thing all demons can do.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground

Welcome to Warhammer 40000

We're being eaten by the kroot.

20. - Top - End - #170

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    I really like the line "the low quality meat and the degradation of lower class demons is a big social issue" because it harkins back to the best part of this series, where it resembles the real world and how the poor are basically encouraged to eat garbage because it's cheap and effective.

But yeah, we learn the origin of the demons. They eat humans because they become what they eat, so eating smart people makes them smarter and so on and so forth. It's what one expected. Also expected, Norman's plan to slaughter everyone involves using those enhanced meats to kill the **** out of every demon, primarily by destroying all the farms so the demons will become mindless beasts, easy to slaughter.

So yeah. Good chapter I think!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So... I guess our fasting demons are of a higher class, so they can go without brains for longer? I guess I'll buy it.
    And I guess... dumb brains are better than no brains but... jeez, I'll assume they are really pushing a message here, but if I was the demons and needed decent brains, I'd at least give the kids some education. The line between premium and mass meat isn't that thin, you should be able to make... free range kids affordable.
    But I shouldn't pick the world building apart.

Instead I'm really hooked because of Emma's face at the end. I don't think she welcomes the genocide idea.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #172

Spoiler
    Show

So... I guess our fasting demons are of a higher class, so they can go without brains for longer? I guess I'll buy it.
    And I guess... dumb brains are better than no brains but... jeez, I'll assume they are really pushing a message here, but if I was the demons and needed decent brains, I'd at least give the kids some education. The line between premium and mass meat isn't that thin, you should be able to make... free range kids affordable.
    But I shouldn't pick the world building apart.

Instead I'm really hooked because of Emma's face at the end. I don't think she welcomes the genocide idea.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a lot harder than you think to raise a kid, especially enough kids to satisfy the number of demons that need to eat three squarer children a day. That's probably why Grace Field has the age limit. It's not a freshness limit, it's a "okay we need to ship this out NOW" thing. Also also, what yo just said is probably the stance of those in the demon world who abject to the factory farms as well.

Also yeah Emma is SUPER not into the genocide plot and I love it. That's what I expected as well, but it super makes sense and is cool as hell.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well the plan has a major flaw. It only works because the demon world is a closed system, destroy the farms and the demons starve. But I’m willing to bet that this plan will be considered breaking the promise, which means demons can hunt in the real world. No longer a closed system, so the plan fails. It’s sort of a catch 22.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

I see Leader Norman has come up with a final solution to the demon problem.

Also, my guess wasn't too far off the mark.

25. - Top - End - #175

New Chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

E...eeeh? Nothing bad happens at all?

There's clearly a hint something bad is about to happen but it...I mean, Norma succeeds at making Emma okay with the slaughter.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this chapter felt hugely pointless... I guess it's meant to be a breather, but I don't think we needed that.
    But I'm also sure Emma will not give in this easily when the plot moves again.
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #177

New chapter, released now officially due to the upcoming holiday in Japan!
    Spoiler
    Show

After some cold natured planning from Norman, we see Ray confront Emma over her supposed enjoyment of the murder all demons plan. And we see that...no, Emma doesn't want to. Some demons are nice and her friends, and they're just people like us.

But their inherent nature means that they cannot live. They CANNOT live, without eating humans. Ergo she is lost. Everything in her says she cannot kill them...but the reality of the scenario is that there simply is no other way. It's an important lesson, to realize that sometimes you have to kill your enemy.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Or you can just accept that demons snacking on humans is a thing that happens and make a new promise with slightly less awfull living conditions for the humans being eaten.

But yeah, shame on Emma for getting cold feet now. Woman up and go kill some Hollows... errr, I mean ghouls... no, yomas... okay, okay, so it's demons.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2019-02-09 at 04:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The final arc has come fairly quick honestly. The time skip was a shame and it just feels like they're rushing to the end. Unless the last arc is particularly long I don't really feel we're going to get anything of any particular value at the end. Which is a shame, the series started strong.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know where this will go...
    I feel like maybe the timeskip was supposed to tell us more stories about living among demons and how they are very human but it got cut. Because as things are it's a little hard to emphasize with them. I mean, I do, because their obviously very smart creatures, but I feel like many might not care as much as Emma.
    I think my final feelings on the story will hinge very much upon how they resolve it. And I sure hope, it's not going to be genocide.
    (Also, what did they eat to develop magic powers?)
    "What's done is done."