New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Knives Out

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Knives Out

Early this morning I went to see the movie Knives Out and I'm going to tell you my thoughts on the movie.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Knives Out
    Show
    Knives Out is a mystery/comedy movie. It's about an elderly man who was murdered and his whole family is a suspect. The Private Investigator was trying to solve the elderly man murder by asking the question everyone in his family. The funny part when he asked a home caretaker about her whereabouts she vomits when she lies about it. It's a good movie overall. Jamie Les Curtis and Chris Evans did a good job actor. It's a good movie but not Oscar-worthy in my opinion. I'll give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Knives Out

It was a good film, but it was super predictable, and I guess what happened halfway through.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's no way they would show us how the murder happened halfway through the film. When the nurse was looking for the medication to counteract the morphine overdose, I knew something was up. It was pretty clear that someone removed it, and expected the old guy to die from a morphine overdose which means they switched the labels.

And of course the person who did this was the biggest jerk in the film who walked out of the party early.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2019-12-07 at 07:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    It was a good film, but it was super predictable, and I guess what happened halfway through.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's no way they would show us how the murder happened halfway through the film. When the nurse was looking for the medication to counteract the morphine overdose, I knew something was up. It was pretty clear that someone removed it, and expected the old guy to die from a morphine overdose which means they switched the labels.

And of course, the person who did this was the biggest jerk in the film who walked out of the party early.
    It was a surprise to me. I do find most mystery movies a bit complex. But that's just me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post

Spoiler
    Show

And of course the person who did this was the biggest jerk in the film who walked out of the party early.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was also really obvious that he knew everyone s cut out of the will whet he went to the reading and all but gloated that he wasn't getting anything.

Still loved it though, super fun watch.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was also really obvious that he knew everyone s cut out of the will whet he went to the reading and all but gloated that he wasn't getting anything.

Still loved it though, super fun watch.
    Yeah it was somewhat expected.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I greatly enjoyed myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Being a mystery buff made it easy to see the twists coming (particularly when certain details of the "go over the events of the night" didn't come up again...until like the last 5 minutes, and indicated the person responsible was exactly who I thought it was).

If there's one thing I really wanna praise about this movie, though, it's that the writing was tight. There's no wasted time in this movie, everything you ever see always always comes up again. There's so many little moments in this movie that come up again and it shows some good thought went into this:

The aging author baiting his son-in-law with a supposedly-blank letter. No doubt, if he'd still been alive, attempting to rifle through the desk would've just gotten him caught anyway. And later, when his daughter is grieving alone, she's looking over letters from her father - all with lots of writing on them, and all with the same stamp in the corner. It's not the focus of the scene, really, but it establishes in the audiences mind that the blank letter might not be blank after all...and that she has a way of seeing what's written. Sure enough...

idk how subtle this was because I noticed it but the three people I saw it with didn't, but...during the two flashbacks we see of the actual birthday party, with him blowing out the candles, it's different people who are standing next to him depending on who's telling the story. This is, AFAICT, the only example of the flashbacks being unreliable narration, but it's in a way that's consistent with the way our own memories are just inherently kinda unreliable narrators.

Probably my favorite "comes up again" bit is, during one of the family's flashbacks, we see them beckoning Marta over to a table with family surrounding - all grinning, all happy to see her, and the voiceover is talking about how they think of her as part of the family. Later, we see that same exact shot, same angle...but this time, it's Marta's flashback, and we get to see the thirty seconds prior where it was a conversation about illegal immigration, and she was only being beckoned over to stand as an example of one of the "good ones".

Also, this isn't really spoiling anything exactly, but Daniel Craig must've enjoyed getting to play this weirdo southern detective genius.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I greatly enjoyed myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Being a mystery buff made it easy to see the twists coming (particularly when certain details of the "go over the events of the night" didn't come up again...until like the last 5 minutes, and indicated the person responsible was exactly who I thought it was).

If there's one thing I really wanna praise about this movie, though, it's that the writing was tight. There's no wasted time in this movie, everything you ever see always always comes up again. There's so many little moments in this movie that come up again and it shows some good thought went into this:

The aging author baiting his son-in-law with a supposedly-blank letter. No doubt, if he'd still been alive, attempting to rifle through the desk would've just gotten him caught anyway. And later, when his daughter is grieving alone, she's looking over letters from her father - all with lots of writing on them, and all with the same stamp in the corner. It's not the focus of the scene, really, but it establishes in the audiences mind that the blank letter might not be blank after all...and that she has a way of seeing what's written. Sure enough...

idk how subtle this was because I noticed it but the three people I saw it with didn't, but...during the two flashbacks we see of the actual birthday party, with him blowing out the candles, it's different people who are standing next to him depending on who's telling the story. This is, AFAICT, the only example of the flashbacks being unreliable narration, but it's in a way that's consistent with the way our own memories are just inherently kinda unreliable narrators.

Probably my favorite "comes up again" bit is, during one of the family's flashbacks, we see them beckoning Marta over to a table with family surrounding - all grinning, all happy to see her, and the voiceover is talking about how they think of her as part of the family. Later, we see that same exact shot, same angle...but this time, it's Marta's flashback, and we get to see the thirty seconds prior where it was a conversation about illegal immigration, and she was only being beckoned over to stand as an example of one of the "good ones".

Also, this isn't really spoiling anything exactly, but Daniel Craig must've enjoyed getting to play this weirdo southern detective genius.
    Daniel Craig did a splendid job with his Southern accent.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

a great play for a theatrical production
    and good movie of course :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just came back, and I have to say I had a blast. Some elements I saw coming, others took me completely off guard.

Can't wait to watch it again

10. - Top - End - #10

I think we can all agree that the hole in the doughnut hole which itself was supposed to plug the hole in the doughnut itself was not expected.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Just came back, and I have to say I had a blast. Some elements I saw coming, others took me completely off guard.

Can't wait to watch it again
    Cool. You must really enjoy it huh?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Cool. You must really enjoy it huh?
    There's so many elements that have inkling of truths, and yet deceptions, that I think it will make it worth the rewatch.

Also, I could only see it in French dub, and I can't wait to hear Craig's southern accent.

13. - Top - End - #13

Also, I could only see it in French dub, and I can't wait to hear Craig's southern accent.
    It is delightfully ridiculous.

Also, did the Foghorn Leghorn quip get translated straight? Do y'all have a heavily accented Foghorn Leghorn in France?

14. - Top - End - #14

Also, did the Foghorn Leghorn quip get translated straight? Do y'all have a heavily accented Foghorn Leghorn in France?
    I don't know who that is. Is that a looney tunes?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't know who that is. Is that a looney tunes?
    Yes. Foghorn Leghorn is a looney tunes character.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It's not even just the accent, it's what he's saying. He never uses a ten dollar word when a twenty dollar word will do...and he just...keeps...going. You don't even know until the end of the movie whether his reputation is even deserved or not. It's amazing and he sells it so well.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17

It's not even just the accent, it's what he's saying. He never uses a ten dollar word when a twenty dollar word will do...and he just...keeps...going. You don't even know until the end of the movie whether his reputation is even deserved or not. It's amazing and he sells it so well.
    He's a modern Columbo.

The huge cigar at the start is clearly a reference

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

He's a modern Columbo.

The huge cigar at the start is clearly a reference
    I think he was a composite character; if absolutely nothing else, he's also just a walking Hercule Poirot reference.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19

I think he was a composite character; if absolutely nothing else, he's also just a walking Hercule Poirot reference.
    Indeed. There's very little Columbo-like about him.

20. - Top - End - #20

Indeed. There's very little Columbo-like about him.
    Obfusciating stupidity, large cigars, gets the murderer to stick around with him most of the time.

21. - Top - End - #21

Obfusciating stupidity, large cigars, gets the murderer to stick around with him most of the time.
    Columbo doesn't obfuscate or feign stupidity (well, he rarely does the latter). He talks directly to the murderer, who he usually suspects early on, and keeps needling at them and specifically at them. He lets them know a large amount of his progress (though not all), relying on them to try to further incriminate themselves by covering up sloppily or inadvertently confess and/or give contradictory statements, or confirm his suspicions by refuting anything that might point in their direction, no matter how reasonable. He does feign an unkempt, slovenly, and unprepared demeanor, and is as known for his coat, car, and later dig as he is for his cigars.

Benoit has a cigar.

I say again, there is very little Columbo-like about him.

22. - Top - End - #22

Columbo doesn't obfuscate or feign stupidity (well, he rarely does the latter). He talks directly to the murderer, who he usually suspects early on, and keeps needling at them and specifically at them. He lets them know a large amount of his progress (though not all), relying on them to try to further incriminate themselves by covering up sloppily or inadvertently confess and/or give contradictory statements, or confirm his suspicions by refuting anything that might point in their direction, no matter how reasonable. He does feign an unkempt, slovenly, and unprepared demeanor, and is as known for his coat, car, and later dig as he is for his cigars.

Benoit has a cigar.

Also the framing of the story is in part similar to Columbo.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

okay, so important question from some who is interested in the movie, but hasn't seen it yet.

How does it compare to Clue? Because that is my gold standard for mystery comedy movies.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Benoit has a cigar.

I mean...

Spoiler
    Show
    He talks directly to the murderer, who he usually suspects early on
    He lets them know a large amount of his progress (though not all), relying on them to try to further incriminate themselves by covering up sloppily
    Benoit Blanc does kinda do both these things with Marta, the difference ends up being the twist that she isn't actually the murderer, she just thinks she is an is acting accordingly. He cottons onto the blood spot on her shoe and knows she was present for the suicide, and by the end of the movie it's clearly that he definitely knew she was trying to covertly cover up her involvement, even if in the moment he didn't comment on it. That seems fitting with what you've described here.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

Also the framing of the story is in part similar to Columbo.
    Columbia's framing is nearly always the audience knowing who the murderer is to begin with, and the trick being how the detective figures it out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ransom doesn't even show up for quite some time and has, IIRC, less screen time than most of the rest of the family as well

I mean...

Spoiler
    Show

Benoit Blanc does kinda do both these things with Marta, the difference ends up being the twist that she isn't actually the murderer, she just thinks she is an is acting accordingly. He cottons onto the blood spot on her shoe and knows she was present for the suicide, and by the end of the movie it's clearly that he definitely knew she was trying to covertly cover up her involvement, even if in the moment he didn't comment on it. That seems fitting with what you've described here.
    Now that is a good point! Still fairly weak for a straight Columbo comparison, IMO, and rather just a "great detective" trait.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And, being the nature of blood, unless those were brand new shoes (possible, I don't remember), they cannot date the blood drop in any event; it could have gotten there at any point in time since she began employment for him, for any innocuous reason, especially since she regularly gave him injections. It's remarkably weak evidence. Again, assuming they didn't date the shoes in the movie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Good film.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll admit my working theory was that Harlan accidentally killed himself by mistaking a real knife for a trick one, but it was clear enough Marta hadn't done it.

Kinda of an odd triumphant moment 'Yay, Fran's dead, so you're guilty of murder.' Attempted murder and arson of a crime lab, obstruction etc would have been enough, and it would have been nice to have a murder mystery with no murder. Oh well.

Daniel Craig has a great stare, I'd like to see more of Blanc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Good film.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll admit my working theory was that Harlan accidentally killed himself by mistaking a real knife for a trick one, but it was clear enough Marta hadn't done it.

Kinda of an odd triumphant moment 'Yay, Fran's dead, so you're guilty of murder.' Attempted murder and arson of a crime lab, obstruction etc would have been enough, and it would have been nice to have a murder mystery with no murder. Oh well.

Daniel Craig has a great stare, I'd like to see more of Blanc.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    My theory, after learning that the dead old guy made his millions writing mystery novels, was that Harlan had learned of his own death-by-illness within the next year or so, and decided to "play a game" like what his daughter talked about - setting up his own suspicious suicide, cutting all the toxic people out of his will secretly, and then getting into huge arguments about money with all of them so they'd all have motive to off him. Then he offs himself as one last prank on all his silly family members. The scene we see of the actual 'murder', where he's not taking it very seriously at all gave me the impression that he wasn't surprised by "oh no wrong meds, I'm gonna die" and had already come to terms with it.

Of course, in the end, it turned out the only person Harlan was playing was himself; if he'd just let her call the ambulance, they would've found out he was perfectly fine, and the next day somebody would've gotten in serious trouble for messing with the medicine - almost certainly Ransom.

...also, just as a side note, I thought the movie's tagline was kinda cheeky: "A whodunnit like noone's ever dunnit". Cheeky little nod to how they're putting these giant twists centered around the mystery trope "It's Never A Suicide".

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    okay, so important question from some who is interested in the movie, but hasn't seen it yet.

How does it compare to Clue? Because that is my gold standard for mystery comedy movies.
    I loved both. Knives Out isn't as bananas as Clue, it's much more grounded.

What I like is that Knives Out plays fair. Yes, you could figure out stuff early, but that's because the film puts the clues and references on the board. Lots of Fridge Brilliance. And it's such an enjoyable ride, I really had fun watching it. Daniel Craig was especially delightful.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post

I enjoyed Clue, and have watched it repeatedly. Knives Out is better. It is possibly the best murder mystery movie I have ever seen. I went back to watch it a second time, and I caught all kinds of wonderful foreshadowing and lovely notes that I didn't get the first time through.

I will say, that I know some people who despise any film depicting or referencing vomit, and this film does. Not without meaning, but it's a fair caution if that bothers you.

Spoilers Below:
    Spoiler
    Show

I particularly enjoyed bits like Harlan bashing Ransom early on for "not knowing a real knife from a trick one."

The coffee mug is shown early on as Harlans, and while it is shown before the final reveal, the lettering is always obscured between the first shot and the last. Well done.

I *love* all of the moments showing the "caring" family being ridiculously unsympathetic to Marta. Yeah, some is obvious. The number of people who said "I wanted you at the funeral, but I was outvoted" is of course suspicious, but there are more subtle bits, like everyone saying her family is from a different country.

I suspect Captain America enjoyed the heck out of this role.

The one plot hole. Kind of. Look, I look for holes, and even this is a stretch. The length of time it takes for the second morphine death is 2 hours, whereas the first is ten minutes. There isn't really any reason why a two hour death would be aimed for. It could be pure sloppiness, I suppose. That's...literally it. Everything else is neatly explained, everything follows logically from one thing to the next. It's delightful.