New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 1-3

Spoiler
    Show
    After careful deliberation, I've decided on the cute little puppeteer with the book to add to my team. I immediately set out to capture one, and did not come away empty-handed.

Well now, that was easy. The 5th Rozen Maiden doll will make a fine addition to my team. Incidentally, we're not getting a 3rd season of it, are we? Bummer, I could have used more Desu.

Remembering the fancy new device that Professor Oak just gave me, I whipped it out and saw what it had to say about my newest partner.

Feeling energized by my latest accomplishment, I decided to grab a few more Touhoumon in the area for my collection. You know, just in case there are random people that require me to have reached a certain quota in order to give me something. Random, I know, but stranger things have happened.

Afterwards, I let Shinku out to play for a few rounds, to get her up to speed with where I want my team to be.

Shinku learned a new technique, using thread to manipulate and confuse her opponents. Satisfied with her progress, I headed out to a new area, given that I don't really know where I'm suppose to go anyway. I mean, Professor Oak couldn't have given any vaguer instructions than "Hey, go fill up this notebook!"

Lo and behold, Renko was waiting for me on Route 22. She helpfully explained that this path lead to the Indigo Plateau, but entrance is denied to anyone who does not possess 8 gym leader badges. So...why do I want to defeat them again? Oh well, I guess it's a fun challenge that'll make this vacation memorable.

Renko seemed eager to see how much stronger my Touhoumon have become since we parted ways all of fifteen minutes ago, so I gladly agreed to her duel.

Renko lead off with a new Touhoumon that I don't think I've seen before, although it does look kind of familiar. I responded in kind with the newcomer to my team, Shinku.

Renko's chibi Aya was fast, and started things off with an annoying cloud of sand. Shinku countered with her doll strings, tangling the speedy opponent and made little imaginary birds fly around the bird's head...whatever that means. Despite the confusion setting in, the chibi Aya kept speeding up more and more. This isn't going to end like one of those Roadrunner cartoons, is it?

Apparently, the feathered roadkill doesn't always get the last laugh. Unable to fight off the confusion and only succeeding in landing a single blow, Renko's chibi Aya stumbled too much from its disorientation. Shinku delivered the coup de grace shortly afterwards.

Shinku earned lots of experience points for her effort, but it wasn't time to celebrate just yet. Renko's old starter showed up to rain on our parade.

Employing the same tactics as before, Shinku managed to weaken Renko's chibi Sakuya quite a bit. While hovering precariously over the precipice of defeat, the fortuitous confusion of our opponent gave Shinku just the opportunity to finish this battle for good! Now all we have to do is-

What? Ah right, yes, the sand-attack from earlier...I hate being shot by Chekhov's Gun. Breaking free from the confusion spell, the chibi Sakuya wasted no time with her swift retaliation.

Of course, our revenge was just as swift and brutal. Magical Mary had no problems mopping up this contest.

And to the victor go the spoils. Renko bid me farewell as she set off to go challenge the gym leaders of this region, and encouraged me to do the same. I guess that's something to stave off boredom. It's probably more exciting than helping a creepy old man complete his encyclopedia collection.

After the fight, I noticed that Magical Mary picked up an item. I wonder where she gets them from? Ah well, nothing wrong with a little looting here and there.

Seeing that I could proceed no further along Route 22, I instead turned north towards Viridian Forest in the distance. However, before I could leave the city I was stopped by another creepy old man.

Apparently, this old man's hearing aid was out of batteries, as he just couldn't hear me at all no matter how many times I told him I already knew how to catch Touhoumon, and in fact have caught a few already. Actually, maybe he did hear me, and is still insisting on showing me something anyway. Ew...that's kind of disturbing. Help! Someone! There's a molester on the loose here!

Absolutely not. All you did was throw your balls at a little girl. Which makes me think you're a molester all the more. I'm going to run away now, and if you follow, Magical Mary will shock you to kingdom come.

Needing to soak my mind in some brain bleach after meeting the old man, I turned to a completely unrelated task: sampling the local wildlife. Here are a few of the new Touhoumon I've found near Viridian City.

Before I venture into the Viridian Forest, perhaps I ought to bolster my team a bit? Or I could continue as I am right now, since I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves later down the line. Ah well, time to let someone else make that decision!

Here's the next vote! To help things out a bit, I'm going to give a brief description of the character as well. Remember, tiebreakers are decided by which nickname I like the best.

A. Sanae Kotiya (Grass/Water, tank-ish stats, Serene Grace hax)
    B. Medicine Melancholy (Grass/Poison, annoyer/Toxic tank)
    C. Momiji Inubashiri (Normal, physical sweeper)
    D. Ran Yakumo (Ground > Ground/Psychic, mixed sweeper)
    E. Yukari Yakumo (Psychic, dedicated tank)
    F. None of the above

Technically, Ran is on Route 2 on the road to Viridian Forest, not Route 22, but I included her here since the next batch will be bigger anyway. Also, I'll probably go with B(each) Alice because 1) Doll Master is terrible as an ability, but BAlice replaces it with Water Absorb when it evolves; 2) I've never used BAlice before, but I have used both EX Alice and Final Alice; and 3) This will ensure I'll have someone to use Surf on my main team.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

On one hand, Sanae would be an excellent way to deal with ground-types.

On the other hand, Yukari is, I believe, supposed to be absurdly powerful fluff-wise. Plus, you can probably use a tank.

In conclusion, I vote for Suwako
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Go for Yukari. You haven't messed around with complex scientific or philosophical topics enough, so someone who can control any and all boundaries should remedy this. Also Yukari is neat in general.

Alternatively go for Ran, i just like multitailed foxes for some reason. Also being the caretaker of the probably most powerful being in Gensokyo doesn't seem like good training for being an effective touhoumon.

And really the whole thing about capturing little girls, really does give a creepy rapist vibe when you think about it. Like think more about it than just accepting it as Pokemon with Touhou characters.

Finally, Chibi Aya is soooooo cute. *squees*

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

I vote for Medicine, Alice needs a doll. As for nickname, I recommend Toxic Barb.

...what? Lethally Toxic Barbie doesn't fit, and besides, you wanna get sued by Mattel?
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Tengu bondage? Kinky. And it's so fitting that Marisa has the Thief ability.

I vote for Yukari.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for Sanae or Medicine because you might want a water or grass type to take down the masochist.

As for nicknames:

Sanae: Mir hax
    Medicine: Bradbury, after the author of Medicine for Melancholy

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

I have nothing but rage and hate for Sanae. Why?

I don't think of her as a character. Only as the rampaging dispenser of death that is the level 5 boss. Those stars.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #68

But Sanae is the easiest stage 5 boss.

Well, maybe she's tied with Reisen for that. But she's still extremely easy.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMandriller View Post
    But Sanae is the easiest stage 5 boss.

Well, maybe she's tied with Reisen for that. But she's still extremely easy.
    Is she? Some of the spell cards seemed horribly evil, but maybe that's just an extension of that entire game having some... less than ideal mechanics.

And yes, Reisen is a joke. Not sure who the worst stage 5 boss would be. Toss-up between Youmu and Shou, for me. Oh, and Rin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

I vote for Yukari, merely because I hope you'll have as much trouble catching her as I've had. Suffering makes for a good LP.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll vote for Ran or Yukari, because we would like to have a psychic type, I'm guessing.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Is she? Some of the spell cards seemed horribly evil, but maybe that's just an extension of that entire game having some... less than ideal mechanics.
    Well, I dunno. Mountain of Faith sucks so I've never really gotten around to playing it on lunatic. But on hard? Sucks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Non card 1, just sit still shooting her, then around a little then shoot her some more. Maybe if you take a while she'll shoot some easy to dodge little balls at you, oh no.
    Card 1, dodge though the gaps between the incredibly slowly moving bullets. This is kind of a pain, admittedly, because it's fiddly as hell, but it's not really hard. Maybe fake hard.
    Non card 2, okay, yeah, this is annoying, but only because you can get yourself walled real easy. But who cares, it's MoF, you can just bomb anyway! It's a non card, so you'll get rewarded for bombing, because MoF is terrible! Woo!
    Card 2. See where lasers are going to go. Sit still. Dodge a little to avoid ball. See where next set of lasers are going to go. Sit still. THIS CARD IS TERRIBLE.
    Non card 3. Dodge left. Dodge right. Maybe you can go up and down while you do! Wooooo!
    Card 3. Dodge left and right under her. Most of her shots are aimed right at you, so they'll just fly right past. If you see ones that are wide enough to still hit you, stand still instead. so they fly right past. And, y'know, don't hang out on the far left/right side of the screen! Like, uh, you never do, because there's no point. BUT DON'T START NOW
    Non card 4. It's like non card 3, except easier! :/
    Card 4. Oh look, it's card 1 again. More fiddly dodging through tiny gaps! Screw involving strategy or thought or y'know anything, let's just make things fiddly! Everyone enjoys that, just like everyone enjoys threading needles. I guess this one is probably her hardest attack, but it still sucks.
    Card 5. Move left. Move right. Move left again. Move right again. Wonder why I'm not playing a good game. Quit and then whine on the internet.

So yeah Sanae sucks. She doesn't even have a proper ridiculously frilly outfit/hat like a proper Touhou should. I guess Deathsmiles came out that year too, maybe Windia hijacked the shipment of dresses or something.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

If I'm counting characters correctly, I say you should go with Ran. And nickname her "Believe it!"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Oh, god, yes. Most obnoxious Ran ever. You have to go with that.

15. - Top - End - #75

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I fully support this kitsune-based lunacy! Ran for the win!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My vote is Sanae, because screw you Brock.

17. - Top - End - #77

Thanks for the ideas, folks. One in particular sounded quite interesting to me, and I'd definitely try to explore it to make this Let's Play more interesting. Just allow me to take some liberties with the game's story.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 1-4

Spoiler
    Show
    After some thought, I decided on going for the kitsune for my team, as I was struck by the rod of inspiration for choosing its nickname. After all, wouldn't it be funny to start every battle with "Go! Believe it!"?

Afterwards, I replenished my supply of Toho Orbs before looking for a few more additions for my Ayanote.

While doing this, though, something was bugging me. I think it may have been my conscience, or maybe it was just a lingering sense of being creeped out by that old man earlier. It really made me stop and take a look at what I was doing: capturing little girls and training them to fight. Yes, I realize they're technically magical puppets (or something along those lines), but a part of my mind was still nagging me. I did my best to surpress it for now, as I wanted to let Believe it! catch up to the rest of my team. (I'm compulsive like that.)

Once I felt ready, it was time to enter the Viridian Forest.

According to the locals, fairies were a common sight in this forest. Actually, from what I've heard fairies were a common sight everywhere in Gensokyo, but I guess times have changed when Touhoumon began supplanting the local wildlife. Still fascinating, though.

While examining the new Touhoumon in the area and finding all sorts of useful loot just lying around for no reason, I kept getting approached by little boys with insect nets. Honestly, do people in this world have no concept of personal space?

Just as I expected, it was amazingly fun starting the battle off with "Believe it!"

Believe it! did a good job fighting off the boy's collection of fairies, but it did kind of disturb me to see him treat his Touhoumon so callously against an obviously superior opponent. Are they really no more than pets?

This forest was apparently crawling with just as many boys with no sense of personal space as it was with fairies. There was something about a bunch of little boys playing with fairies that seemed rather unsettling. Trying to shake off the feeling, I had Shinku waste his complete set of mischievous fairies quickly.

This next young lad gave me more trouble, though. While his chibi Sunny Milk and chibi Star Sapphire succumbed quickly to Magical Mary's thundershock, his electric-type chibi Luna Child was a tougher customer. The match devolved into a slugfest of weak physical strikes, with Magical Mary emerging victorious but injured. I knew I was near the next town, so I made a beeline for the exit, knowing that Magical Mary needed to be healed ASAP. However, these fairy catching boys just wouldn't leave me alone. You'd think that in a world populated with Touhoumon, they'd have been used to seeing girls by now.

Angered by this interruption, I made sure to show him no mercy. After a brief and victorious battle, I was free to be on my way. I was very much aware that my Touhoumon needed some medical assistance, but before I could leave something remarkable happened to me.

Once again, I was stopped by someone, but I could tell that he was no random fairy catcher. He was a young man with spiky red hair and a cape, who asked me to show him my Touhoumon. Guaging him to not be a threat, I obeyed. Reaching down, he touched each of them and closed his eyes. To my astonishment, my Touhoumon were all healed by his touch, their injuries from those prior battles disappearing before my eyes. Naturally, I just had to ask how he was doing this.

"Do you know much about the Viridian Forest?" he said. "Viridian means an emerald hue, deep and rich. It's a vast and lush forest with a mystical power to it. It is said that once every few years, a child here is born possessing the mysterious powers of the forest. And indeed...I am one who possesses those powers."

He explained to me that the power of the Viridian Forest allowed him to both heal Touhoumon on contact with his own energy and to telepathically understand these creatures. Fascinated by his abilities, I asked him to tell me more. However, I was not prepared for what he told me next.

"When I was a small child, I remember finding an injured Touhoumon in the wild. She was dying from the waste being spewed as a result of Gensokyo's industrial revolution. As I held her in my arms, I felt the pain and anger she felt because of humanity. Treated as mere pets, slaves, or worse, these creatures have been oppressed for far too long. Every two-bit hack who calls himself a trainer can just capture them in droves and mistreat them with no repercussions. Ask yourself, would YOU like to be a pet kept locked up by a thoughtless trainer?"

"Aren't you a trainer, too?" I asked. "Are you saying we should just stop?"

"No, that's not it," he responded. "Touhoumon can grow and reach potentials never attainable in the wild when paired with strong and trustworthy humans. However, such humans number to a precious few. All other people are just trash. What about you?"

I didn't know what to say to his question, but he continued speaking all the same.

"My allies and I long for a Gensokyo cleansed of humanity's arrogance, where all Touhoumon can live in freedom. If you wish to join us, come to the Indigo Plateau. To gain admittance, though, you'll need to collect all 8 badges from the gym leaders in the land. Think of it as a test."

With that, he turned to leave, never so much as giving me his name. While walking away, he left me with a final warning.

"Be kind to your Touhoumon. We'll be watching you."

Stunned by this unexpected conversation, I slowly continued to the next town, my mind trying to process what I had just heard.

Not thinking about where I was going, I tried to pass through the city and continue on the road, but a random person just grabbed me and dragged me to the town gym. Hey, didn't that Viridian Forest man tell me to challenge the gyms as a test? Looks like I ought to stick around in town for this first. But a gym battle would surely be a whole different world compared to the amateur fairy catchers I've faced thus far. I'll need some serious preparation before I'm ready.

Looking around town, I saw the Pewter City Museum and tucked it away in my mind for future viewing. In a stroke of good fortune, I also met an old woman who had sympathy for my journey and offered to give me a Touhoumon that I've never even seen before. Looks like I'll have plenty of things on my plate for tomorrow. But for now, it's time for me to call it a day, and what a day it's been.

All right...yet another vote!

A. Sunny Milk (Fire, balanced tank/annoyer)
    B. Luna Child (Electric, special sweeper)
    C. Star Sapphire (Water, special sponge)
    D. Wriggle Nightbug (Bug, cleric)
    E. Nitori Kawashiro (Water > Water/Electric, Thunderdance special sweeper)
    F. Hatate Himekaidou (Flying > Flying/Psychic, special sweeper)
    G. (None of the above)

BTW, great call on Ran's nickname, as I'm laughing every time it pops up on-screen with an exclaimation mark. I think I'll make Ran a dedicated physical sweeper (the adamant nature wasn't enough of a clue?) since we're lacking in the physical department right now, and Ran doesn't really get any other good special attacks besides Psychic.

I wonder how many people will get the big honking reference I inserted into the story. Should be good fun to see how this plays out (I haven't even planned everything out yet).
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I'd love to be filled in on the characters, but i don't have the motor skills to play Touhou games. So i will not go ahead and play the game.
    Hey, I was born with like 6 dexterity and I manage . But okay, if you don't like the games, I'll make sure to write up a bit on the characters soon as I get back from this afternoon's game to fill you in - if your only contact with the characters are doujins, yeah, you'll probably not know all that much about them, since they don't lend themselves to the standard doujin fare unless brutally derailed, and so there's not that many things of them. And I'm not sure why, but lately the Touhou fandom seems to be less enthused about creating new Alice Cases . Which in this case makes me happy, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    All right...yet another vote!

A. Sunny Milk (Fire, balanced tank/annoyer)
    B. Luna Child (Electric, special sweeper)
    C. Star Sapphire (Water, special sponge)
    D. Wriggle Nightbug (Bug, cleric)
    E. Nitori Kawashiro (Water > Water/Electric, Thunderdance special sweeper)
    F. Hatate Himekaidou (Flying > Flying/Psychic, special sweeper)
    G. (None of the above)

BTW, great call on Ran's nickname, as I'm laughing every time it pops up on-screen with an exclaimation mark. I think I'll make Ran a dedicated physical sweeper (the adamant nature wasn't enough of a clue?) since we're lacking in the physical department right now, and Ran doesn't really get any other good special attacks besides Psychic.

I wonder how many people will get the big honking reference I inserted into the story. Should be good fun to see how this plays out (I haven't even planned everything out yet).
    I could have sworn there were wild CYamames in that forest as well in the patch version I played, and that was what I intended to vote. Yamame is, after all, awesome. Of the above... go with Sunny Milk. I love the Three Fairies, and you already will have BAlice for surfing so Star isn't all that needed.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-08 at 06:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

This thing already has Hatate?

Get.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think there's chibimarisa in the viridian forest as well.

Quite rare, though...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't recognize the fairies at all, and Hatate is necessarily inferior to Aya (because AYA IS SUPERIOR), so I'll say Nitori. Simply because Magical Mary needs to continue befriending her canonical harem.

Bear in mind that this suggestion is made in total ignorance of either Pokemon or Touhoumon mechanics. Hatate may well be the superior choice as we already have Water types (don't we?) but no fliers that I recall.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

I am amazed that Cirno wasn't available in the faerie forest. Now, I have a question. What do you mean by "cleric"? Is Wriggle a healer? Because if that's the case, healers are few and far between in Pokemon, and thus incredibly valuable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I don't recognize the fairies at all, and Hatate is necessarily inferior to Aya (because AYA IS SUPERIOR), so I'll say Nitori. Simply because Magical Mary needs to continue befriending her canonical harem.
    The fact that so few people have read the Three Fairies' comics always makes me sad. They're actually funny, and they're written by ZUN and everything, so they're actually canon too. I always wonder why .

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

What is Lance from Pokemon Special doing in Gensokyo?

I vote for Wriggle with the nickname of Souseiseki if female or Ackbar if it turns out to be male.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

I am going to go with Drascin's recommendation since i don't really know any of these ones very well. I'll go with Sunny Milk as well. And Drascin if you can point me in the right direction, i'd love to read those comics.

And i think you underestimate my clumsiness. I managed to fail PE and after two months in China, i still regularly drop food when trying to eat it with a chopstick. And just as importantly, i just don't have the patience to develop the kind of skill needed to complete a Touhou game. I like the characters, but the gameplay is not much to my taste.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

I am amazed that Cirno wasn't available in the faerie forest. Now, I have a question. What do you mean by "cleric"? Is Wriggle a healer? Because if that's the case, healers are few and far between in Pokemon, and thus incredibly valuable.
    Chansey/Blissey is hax (highest possible hp + Softboiled = never need a Pokémon Centre again). If Wriggle's the Touhoumon version of Chansey, get it.

Also.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-05-08 at 07:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Pokemon Special? In my our Let's Play?

I vote for Wriggle.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Aldgar View Post
    I think there's chibimarisa in the viridian forest as well.

Quite rare, though...
    Chibi Marisa is indeed available in the forest. However, since we've already voted on it, and since I already have one on my team, I chose to omit it.

Now, I have a question. What do you mean by "cleric"? Is Wriggle a healer? Because if that's the case, healers are few and far between in Pokemon, and thus incredibly valuable.
    "Cleric" usually referes to a Heal Bell/Aromatherapy user, which are typically very rare. Wriggle and Mystia are the only two Touhoumon that learn Heal Bell as far as I know, although I haven't checked every moveset yet.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

A vote for Wriggle, then. Or, failing that, Nitori. For more dakka, not to mention getting past the gym of cruel and unusual first boss fights (yes, Brock has been immortalized as a particularly angry childhood memory, along with that bug gym leader in gold/silver and his mantis RAEGE).

Sorry, where were we?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I anger more easily at Roark. Brock went down pretty easily to my Bulbasaur, but that Cranidos...

Highest attack power of any unevolved Pokémon, no secondary type (so no 4x weaknesses), high Speed and Headbutt.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-05-08 at 01:45 PM.