New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I am amused that my half-assed rewording of the rules to fit my half-assed « friendly » theme made it to two new threads.
    A friendly smile goes a long way indeed.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    A friendly smile goes a long way indeed.
    The more you know.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So a group of people who I hung out in pre-Covid times didn't listen to the lockdown when we had it...they threw parties on the regular spent unemployment on recreating our favorite bar in someone's backyard and the like....so some people, like myself, made sure to go "electronic acquaintance only" with this crowd for a time....so right now this crew is making up a fair chunk of the active COVID cases in my area (we have been pretty okay in this part of the county)...which really shocks nobody but them.

That they now have the gall to ask me for help with stuff because they sick is actually annoying. I figure the conflict between a)I'm not close to these people anyway b)they were being irresponsible idiots and c)if someone responsible doesn't they are liable to go out for food runs etc potentially exposing others because "they feel fine" is what I think is really irking me. Because there is an implied threat of C and they know I am responsible. Hopefully someone who is actually emotionally bonded to them steps up.

EDIT 1: I just needed to vent that. And honestly got to send that "I-told-you-so" energy somewhere and GiantITP-RB seemed a fair a place as any, hopefully get a few exasperated laughs at human folly.
    EDIT 2: so just double checked local case numbers...728 total in my part of the world...and this lovely bunch of coconuts accounts for 15-20 ppl.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-07-15 at 12:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    So a group of people who I hung out in pre-Covid times didn't listen to the lockdown when we had it...they threw parties on the regular spent unemployment on recreating our favorite bar in someone's backyard and the like....so some people, like myself, made sure to go "electronic acquaintance only" with this crowd for a time....so right now this crew is making up a fair chunk of the active COVID cases in my area (we have been pretty okay in this part of the county)...which really shocks nobody but them.

That they now have the gall to ask me for help with stuff because they sick is actually annoying. I figure the conflict between a)I'm not close to these people anyway b)they were being irresponsible idiots and c)if someone responsible doesn't they are liable to go out for food runs etc potentially exposing others because "they feel fine" is what I think is really irking me. Because there is an implied threat of C and they know I am responsible. Hopefully someone who is actually emotionally bonded to them steps up.
    Good grief!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh, new thread!

I've been messing around with amounts and alternatives for a minestrone recipe and one of the aspects of that is seeing if I can use alternative forms of pasta instead of just macaroni. Because most pastas we use here are nothing fancy, just roughly the same mixture in different shapes, I've been bashing up penne pasta with a meat mallet to break it down to more convenient soup-sized lumps. Great for dealing with run-off anxiety.

Managed to squeeze out the first two chapters of the story I'll be working while the other is resting over the last three days. Both are fun to write - it's two separate, alternating perspectives, from two different characters as they slowly trundle towards each other - but the first problem is chronologically, which one comes first? Neither has specific reasons for coming first, and info-dumps are hopefully being spread between both of them equally. I shouldn't be worrying about it this early into the first draft, but it's been annoying me all morning.

God, that sucks. I'm sorry you've been put in a situation like that, and just how selfish these people seem to be - not just about their own health, but other, more vulnerable people too. We're seeing a lot of that with the lockdown, but you gotta look after yourself first.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    Ooh, new thread!

I've been messing around with amounts and alternatives for a minestrone recipe and one of the aspects of that is seeing if I can use alternative forms of pasta instead of just macaroni. Because most pastas we use here are nothing fancy, just roughly the same mixture in different shapes, I've been bashing up penne pasta with a meat mallet to break it down to more convenient soup-sized lumps. Great for dealing with run-off anxiety.

Managed to squeeze out the first two chapters of the story I'll be working while the other is resting over the last three days. Both are fun to write - it's two separate, alternating perspectives, from two different characters as they slowly trundle towards each other - but the first problem is chronologically, which one comes first? Neither has specific reasons for coming first, and info-dumps are hopefully being spread between both of them equally. I shouldn't be worrying about it this early into the first draft, but it's been annoying me all morning.

God, that sucks. I'm sorry you've been put in a situation like that, and just how selfish these people seem to be - not just about their own health, but other, more vulnerable people too. We're seeing a lot of that with the lockdown, but you gotta look after yourself first.
    I've always kinda figured that alternating perspectives/viewpoints are either concurrent (the one you see first happens first, then the next one, and so on) or happened at the exact same time if they are spatially separated. That's usually how I do it anyway.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i just needed to vent that. And honestly got to send that "I-told-you-so" energy somewhere and GiantITP-RB seemed a fair a place as any, hopefully get a few exasperated laughs at human folly.
    Probobaly the best thing is to take care of them until they get better then "unfriend" them
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've always kinda figured that alternating perspectives/viewpoints are either concurrent (the one you see first happens first, then the next one, and so on) or happened at the exact same time if they are spatially separated. That's usually how I do it anyway.
    That's how I usually do it too, and what is currently the second one does actually happen a couple of hours before, but the reason I've got it as the latter one is because it explains what happens in the first. So the Big Nasty Inciting incident happens timeline-wise second, but chronologically first, and then the explanation / development of the exposition behind it happens timeline-wise for the characters first, but chronologically second. Infodumps in the first chapter have always been a pet peeve of mine, so I like to keep the first 3000 words or so sleek. Or as sleek as I can get it, anyhow.

I think my best bet is continuing on with layout up in the air and then when I get a second and third pair of eyes on it get their opinions on it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Probobaly the best thing is to take care of them until they get better then "unfriend" them
    I'll point out. These are already not my friends but acquaintances, we have mutual friends, share the same local, and the like but that is all....and that is part of the issue. An actual friend asking for help is somewhat more palatable. Counter to that is the fact that most of the people they would normally ask are also effected with COVID...thus the frustration.

And if you are thinking FB and the like... I've never had any social media so that's not an option (maybe ICQ counts, had that) I could "loose their number" somehow but that would be petty.

10. - Top - End - #40

GreenSorcererElf

Oh, didn't realize they weren't your friends maybe direct them to those mutual friends

Proudly Chaotic

11. - Top - End - #41

That's how I usually do it too, and what is currently the second one does actually happen a couple of hours before, but the reason I've got it as the latter one is because it explains what happens in the first. So the Big Nasty Inciting incident happens timeline-wise second, but chronologically first, and then the explanation / development of the exposition behind it happens timeline-wise for the characters first, but chronologically second. Infodumps in the first chapter have always been a pet peeve of mine, so I like to keep the first 3000 words or so sleek. Or as sleek as I can get it, anyhow.

I think my best bet is continuing on with layout up in the air and then when I get a second and third pair of eyes on it get their opinions on it.
    Sounds reasonable an idea, I like it!

I don't mind a little bit of exposition at the start, so long as they hook us into caring about the characters first.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-07-15 at 02:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sounds reasonable an idea, I like it!

I don't mind a little bit of exposition at the start, so long as they hook us into caring about the characters first.
    I’ve been writing a multiple perspective fantasy novel as well, it’s been an enjoyable experience now that I’ve worked out some details on the characters and setting and am finally figuring out a smooth interconnected plot.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, didn't realize they weren't your friends maybe direct them to those mutual friends
    I consider you my friend.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solamnicknight View Post
    I’ve been writing a multiple perspective fantasy novel as well, it’s been an enjoyable experience now that I’ve worked out some details on the characters and setting and am finally figuring out a smooth interconnected plot.
    While I took a break from writing more perspectives to work on my character voices for a while, with this new project I am firmly back on my bull**** with them. I just love, love writing them. They're a fantastic way to build up a world in more than one dimension because every character has to have some new experience or opinion, otherwise they're just cardboard cut-outs. You get the added benefit of extra characterisation if you have your POV characters being seen by other POV characters, and you even have a quick and in-canon way for you to easily swap between tension and action - because you're literally dragging the reader away from one point of view to another. So, so, good.

I'm glad the fantasy genre has taken a swing back towards them recently. Or, at least, there's been one in YA.

15. - Top - End - #45

While I took a break from writing more perspectives to work on my character voices for a while, with this new project I am firmly back on my bull**** with them. I just love, love writing them. They're a fantastic way to build up a world in more than one dimension because every character has to have some new experience or opinion, otherwise they're just cardboard cut-outs. You get the added benefit of extra characterisation if you have your POV characters being seen by other POV characters, and you even have a quick and in-canon way for you to easily swap between tension and action - because you're literally dragging the reader away from one point of view to another. So, so, good.

I'm glad the fantasy genre has taken a swing back towards them recently. Or, at least, there's been one in YA.
    God, I super agree on that. What's fun with doing different POVs is also how it changes the narration and stuff, even if you're doing third person. The narration is altered because you're with a different character with different priorities and thoughts.

My favorite trick is making use of a characters known languages to play around with this sort of thing. Like of one character who doesn't know french hears the word merde, it'll be shown as "*french word for *****" in italics to denote it is a foreign language. A character who knows french would hear it as "****" but in italics to denote it was SAID in a foreign language.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-07-15 at 04:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. My usual approach is to have the very first scene set up the stage, so to speak: Pick a viewpoint other than one of the main characters, start the scene off like it's a normal day, end with side effects of the story trigger disrupting the normal day, and don't explain anything...sometimes to the point of not giving anything or anyone a name.

So basically, establishing the setting purely through action; simultaneously avoiding exposition, serving as a hook for readers to want to fill in the blanks, and building enough of a mental framework that it's easy for readers to fit the main characters into the world when they show up. And, as a bonus, since it's dealing with propagation of effects, the next scene can be concurrent or prior to the story trigger without the sense of disruption that an early timeline jump can cause. (Also, it pretty much forces me to ignore the inclination to shove in the tons of worldbuilding details that no one else is going to care about in the beginning)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Finally managed to make some progress on this game.

Yeah, writing what's essentially a rules medium game might not seem hard, but between work (and the associated travel), keeping a house clean, maintaining a garden, and dividing the flirts so nobody feels left out I just find myself without a lot of time to devote to writing.

And then I go and make things harder for myself by adding in a skill system, because darn it spells were already becoming skills, and now I've got to come through the rules to see what I need to change to using skills and update the Advancement mechanics. Guess I can now add Skill Prerequisites to Talents, but I'm not sure I want Skill Taxes. And we're now up to twice my original target page count and I haven't even written skill descriptions or linking text. Guess I might as well add in another magic discipline or two so I can actually have those classic Shapechanging abilities in this fantasy game (but I have finally finished Pyromancy*, at least in a basic rulebook form).

* Which reminds me, there's no rules for fires spreading or causing damage, better add them in.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm having a blast with my solo D&D 3.5 game. It is just all too easy for me. I don't know why everyone says it impossible to do it. I find it very easy to do and the game turned out great.

19. - Top - End - #49

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm having a blast with my solo D&D 3.5 game. It is just all too easy for me. I don't know why everyone says it impossible to do it. I find it very easy to do and the game turned out great.
    maybe they're just overthinking it
    I consider you my friend.
    And I you

Proudly Chaotic

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I used to happen a few friends that I was very close to, 8bitninja and Prince Zahn. Boy, I missed them so much.

21. - Top - End - #51

GreenSorcererElf

they left?

Proudly Chaotic

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

they left?
    Yes, they left.

23. - Top - End - #53

GreenSorcererElf

Oh, that's horrible
    Last edited by el minster; 2020-07-15 at 09:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, that's horrible
    I wouldn't say horrible per say. It just that they lost interest in this forum. Sad but true.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I wouldn't say horrible per say. It just that they lost interest in this forum. Sad but true.
    I’m trying to be active on this forum, it’s just difficult especially with my online classes sometimes. Always looking for new and interesting friends to talk to though! Don’t be afraid to ask me stuff, I’m not a bridge troll that’s going to eat you if you ask the wrong question lol.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I’m trying to be active on this forum, it’s just difficult especially with my online classes sometimes. Always looking for new and interesting friends to talk to though! Don’t be afraid to ask me stuff, I’m not a bridge troll that’s going to eat you if you ask the wrong question lol.
    Ok. I'll talk to you some time. Wow, that was.....random?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok. I'll talk to you some time. Wow, that was.....random?
    Not trying to scare you sorry! Was just trying to be friendly. Not sure how good I am at that sometimes, I have autism and am socially awkward.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Not trying to scare you sorry! Was just trying to be friendly. Not sure how good I am at that sometimes, I have autism and am socially awkward.
    Join the club. I also got autism and socially awkward.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Join the club. I also got autism and socially awkward.
    That’s funny! I’ve noticed quite a few people on here are openly autistic. Also I’m tired tonight. I was playing a Savage Worlds game on Roll 20 that an old friend invited me to a few weeks ago. It’s been interesting, a sci-fi mystery/investigation game.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I used to happen a few friends that I was very close to, 8bitninja and Prince Zahn. Boy, I missed them so much.
    they left?
    Yes, they left.
    Oh, that's horrible
    Guys, please remember some of the Random Banter thread guidelines:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    10. Every post should contain two visible, legible complete sentences with Subject and Predicate. But don't stress too much over grammar, as long as you try to be understandable I am sure your old English teacher would be proud.

11. Remember, Random Banter is not your IM client. If you want to have a nice back and forth with one friend (and who wouldn't?), you can find the necessary IM details in their contact information.
    There have now been several conversations consisting of incredibly short posts just between you two. There is nothing wrong with wanting to talk to a specific person, but please consider whether these conversation may be better suited to PMs.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2