New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Pink and Blue Power Hour)

It's time to return to Dream Land!

Welcome to the new Zodi LP! We're going to be playing Kirby's Dream Land 3, a super adorable Kirby game! It's precious and good and cute and fills me with an incredible warmth that I cannot really overstate. More over, this is a multiplayer game! And who better to join me than Blue Ghost, one of my best friends ever. I'll be playing the adorable pink Kirby, and he'll be playing the cool and blue Gooie. There's not much to really talk about in this preamble, Kirby is Kirby and Kirby is fantastic and brilliant and good.

As with all my LPs, we'll be uploading Monday and Friday. There IS a chance we'll actually be missing next week since I am actually incredibly sick right now and we recorded the first two episodes basically an hour before it really hit! So that's cool! There's really no spoilers to worry about since this is Kirby, but that said don't talk about any of the surprises in it since Blue has never played this before, and other people may not have either. Just a general sort of rule; be polite! Be kind! Be good and sweet like Kirby.

So without further adieu, lets do this!

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [1] Flowers, Frogs, and Friends

26:11

Starting us off, a strange darkness has come from space and landed on Pop Star! That's not very good! So it's time for Kirby, and his new-found friend who just kinda showed up called Gooie, to go out into the land and... basically just explore and help out people. We've gotta fight back against the darkness and just help the denizens of his world. As far as story goes, that's it, but do note this IS a direct sequel to Dream Land 2... I wonder what it could all mean!

Well, that aside, let's talk mechanics a bit. Kirby is Kirby, as always. You can move, slide, jump, eat stuff (Gooie gets a tongue lash instead of a vacuum mouth) and get powers from enemies we eat. There's a lot of powers in this, though unlike modern stuff each power does it's one thing, but it does do it very well! What helps branch that out however is the animal companions. Koo, Rick, and Kine from Dream Land 2 are back (with some changes I'll point out as we go) while we also get three new ones; Pitch, Chu-chu, and Nago! Nago the cat is a very powerful friend who tends towards anti-air stuff, but is overall just a focus on power. Nago himself can also triple jump, a nice trade off to losing the ability to fly. Chu-Chu focuses on more defensive powers, with some additional Feature to each power she grants. She's a cute little slime girl who hangs out with Kirby and is really just the absolute cutest. Her special ability is that she can latch onto ceilings and move around on them, which is a really interesting thing to include in this game. Pitch meanwhile had very... weird powers, and all of his power-combos include Pitch being utilized in some way. Pitch himself lets you fly, but it's a slower, more precise flight than Koo, and is also way faster on the ground than every other animal companion.

Now then, I said Kirby and Gooie are trying to help out people in Pop Star. How do we actually do that? Well, each stage has a special quest in it. Sometimes it's something you need to do, sometimes it's something you DON'T want to do. Then at the end of the stage, you get a cool little star-heart thing. It's cute. It is also the inspiration for what will become the general Kirby formula for literally years. It's honestly fascinating, given so little about this game gets remembered, that it's main mechanic is so powerfully taken for every other Kirby.

But yeah, that'll be it for today. I hope you all enjoyed, WE will see you all next time!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-05-21 at 12:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Pink and Blue Power Hour)

Huh, well, that stage-gimmick thing is an interesting idea. Though, uh, I have no idea how you'd figure out the frog one, geez. That seems super obtuse.

Also, your new Zoditar is very unsettling.

Also, also, get well soon.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-05-20 at 10:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You two make a very cute couple.

Also, is anyone else going to be tracking enemy counts on this? I think I can find the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Also, is anyone else going to be tracking enemy counts on this? I think I can find the time.
    Zodi mentioned in Last Thread that there'd be no need for any tracking or anything. Hence why I'm sure nothing's been done. (And hence why I'm not tracking deaths. Not that those would ever occur. )

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

While Kirby is indeed adorable, i never really got into it. I'm not really sure why? It seems like fun and whatnot, just never really got my gears going. Still i'm enjoying watching!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #6

How about... some Kirby!

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream LAnd 3 [2] Buddies, Boyfriends, and Blocks

Video Length: 25:49

In this exciting episode, we finish off the second half of world one, including beating up the boss. As you'd expect, it's Wispy Woods! Though in this case, Wispy is a bit more mobile than he usually is. I'm glad to see he's over the cold he had last time we met him though, being sick sucks a big one (source: coughing so hard my bones hurt).

Another fun sort of thing in this stage is that we really show off the Clean ability, which is the only new ability in this game unless you count all the combos with the new animal companions. Clean is one of the most fan popular powers, and for a reason. It's base form may just be sweeping the floor, but it is a decidedly powerful ad unique ability when combined. Rick gets one of those long feather dusters, Koo becomes one of the big feather dusters, Kine delivers unto us the power of a plunger. We haven't seen what Pitch does yet, but Nago uses Kirby as a floor waxxer, and Chu-Chu BECOMES A WITCH, ABLE TO FLY AROUND ON A BROOM! It's really cool, and one of the reasons SO many people were happy to see that Clean came back in Star Allies.

Oh also, as a note; Cutter Kine is upgraded underwater. That's the difference between it and Burning Kine.

But yeah, hope you all enjoyed! We'll see you all next time. Assuming there is one, we're both of kind of sick.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's cool what they've done with the powers. Nothing really more to comment besides the fact that moving spider-Wispy is a lot scarier, though.

Also that your endslate's a little... off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Chu-Chu focuses on more defensive powers, with some additional Feature to each power she grants. She's a cute little slime girl who hangs out with Kirby and is really just the absolute cutest.
    nerd voice technically, I believe chu-chu is an octopus, not a slime.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yeah, it's cool what they've done with the powers. Nothing really more to comment besides the fact that moving spider-Wispy is a lot scarier, though.

Also that your endslate's a little... off.
    Yeah this and last episode were both recorded together, and it wouldn't be a Zodi LP without some technical difficulties.

I forgot that the Wii is super weird with how it does wide screen and stuff, so the game was recorded with two big black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, because that's just how the Wii would have presented it normally. I had to edit it A Little to make it look good. Future videos will look fine, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    nerd voice technically, I believe chu-chu is an octopus, not a slime.
    I am almost 100% sure she is a slime.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah this and last episode were both recorded together, and it wouldn't be a Zodi LP without some technical difficulties.
    Ain't that the truth.

Might as well get the issues out of the way now though, right? Isn't that right, Dream Land 3?

11. - Top - End - #11

Both me and Blue were feeling PRETTY GARBO, so today I'm flying solo with a bonus Kirby!

A Taste Of: Kirby's Pinball Land

Video Length: 25:34

Kirby's Pinball Land is not very good, but it has its moments. I like the music, and as far as time wasters go it's pretty solid. The only problems it really has are that some of its recovery mechanics are Bad and its controls are bass ackwards in a way that I truly could not believe when I first tried it out and that pinball games are inherently kinda dumb due to their uncontrollable nature.

I did enjoy playing this, and it was kinda fun save stating my way into a boss fight. I'll probably beat this on my own time due to just general boredom radiation.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I think the thing to do might be a bit more holding the ball with the paddle to wait for the right timing?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I find it extremely funny that you handle all these super hardcore games like furi and sekiro without too much trouble, but a humble pinball game has you on the ropes! I think, if I ever needed to play a video game competitively (like, in a duel with the devil to reclaim my soul), pokemon pinball or pokemon pinball ruby & sapphire would be among my best choices.

Have you played much real-life pinball? Because I think the 'd-pad-left & A' control scheme (which is also present in the pokemon games) is a fairly good facsimile of how you control a real pinball machine. The table bump mechanics are awesome once you really get a handle on them, too. You know how sometimes there's no saver ("dr. pepper bottle") in the outlane, so you're doomed to lose the ball? With enough skill it's possible to hold the flipper on that side up and use a table bump to knock the ball upwards onto the other flipper, rescuing it for free. Bumps can also be useful to change the way the ball ricochets when it hits something solid - can be useful when you're trying to hit a small target, or project the ball upward from surface that doesn't have a flipper on it.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I've never been a fan of pinball myself, but this was an interesting enough watch, at least as a one-off. Some of the game design choices do seem a little odd, but, I guess they're just trying to make sure it's enough to keep you at it for a good long time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Have you played much real-life pinball? Because I think the 'd-pad-left & A' control scheme (which is also present in the pokemon games) is a fairly good facsimile of how you control a real pinball machine. The table bump mechanics are awesome once you really get a handle on them, too. You know how sometimes there's no saver ("dr. pepper bottle") in the outlane, so you're doomed to lose the ball? With enough skill it's possible to hold the flipper on that side up and use a table bump to knock the ball upwards onto the other flipper, rescuing it for free. Bumps can also be useful to change the way the ball ricochets when it hits something solid - can be useful when you're trying to hit a small target, or project the ball upward from surface that doesn't have a flipper on it.
    Here's the thing about Kirby Pinball bumps: They don't alter Kirby's momentum in the slightest, all they do is momentarily adjust his position relative to the table. So the only thing you can really rely on is reading the table (by using a flipper hold) and getting the flipper physics down pat. Everything else is just prayers.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough; I've never played the Kirby pinball. The bumps are definitely good in other games.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Here's the thing about Kirby Pinball bumps: They don't alter Kirby's momentum in the slightest, all they do is momentarily adjust his position relative to the table. So the only thing you can really rely on is reading the table (by using a flipper hold) and getting the flipper physics down pat. Everything else is just prayers.
    Well, it'd still work for adjusting where you hit things, but yeah, that'd take kind of crazy timing on the bumps.

Also: Watercolor Kine!
    Spoiler: image
    Show

Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-05-27 at 04:41 PM.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18

I find it extremely funny that you handle all these super hardcore games like furi and sekiro without too much trouble, but a humble pinball game has you on the ropes! I think, if I ever needed to play a video game competitively (like, in a duel with the devil to reclaim my soul), pokemon pinball or pokemon pinball ruby & sapphire would be among my best choices.

I knew one of you would be a pinball wizard! I didn't expect it to be the actual wizard though.

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    That I also expected, sadly.

Well, it'd still work for adjusting where you hit things, but yeah, that'd take kind of crazy timing on the bumps.

Also: Watercolor Kine!
    Spoiler: image
    Show

Did you draw this?!?

That's super cool holy ****!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Did you draw this?!?

That's super cool holy ****!
    Yes, and thank you. And it's digital, realized I didn't say that.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

Yes, and thank you. And it's digital, realized I didn't say that.
    Extremely adding this to a fanart folder, if that's alright.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Extremely adding this to a fanart folder, if that's alright.
    Go for it.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22

Uh oh still sick x_x

A Taste Of: Kirby's Block Ball

Video Length: 10:16

In this exciting filler episode as me and Blue recover from being sick still, it's time to play Kirby's Block Ball... which is basically Kirby Break Out. It's interesting, and brings back nostalgic for the web-games of my youth and stuff. It's a pretty decent game all things considered, though some of it is a bit unclear (though I could have searched the manual to make sure like Pinball Land...).

Now, what really stands out however was the boss fight at the end. That was really fun, and while it doesn't LOOK it, was absolutely nerve wracking for me, Zodi, who is dumb and was not mentally prepared for three paddles, two of which are controlled by up and down while the other one is controlled by left and right. It's a fun boss, and has interesting mechanics (changing pattern at half health, the recover-blocks that turn into spikes) which makes me wonder how the later bosses go. I'll definitely be playing this on my own time as a result (though possibly with save states since I'm a coward).

Lotta parenthesis in this one today huh? I suppose that's what happens when playing a side game, you get a lot of asides. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you next time for your regularly scheduled Kirby, I swear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I forget how Kirby damage works but if I recall correctly it has to do with him being puffed up. Also note you can get POWERS in this game, so have fun controlling 4 paddles and choosing when to use powers. Plus the difficulty curve on the game is kinda mean towards the end.

24. - Top - End - #24

Four paddles and a power on Kirby seems like it would be chaos incarnate. How did we go from "basic ass Pinball that's pretty easy all things considered?" to "hell breakout"?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Imagine trying to get a Perfect on that boss level, like you did with the miniboss, by trying to collect all the star blocks.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Imagine trying to get a Perfect on that boss level, like you did with the miniboss, by trying to collect all the star blocks.
    This is cursed! A cursed thought!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

*30 hours of gameplay later*
    Zodi is disgusted by the thought of missing a single star block on a boss level. If it's not a perfect clear, it's a failure!

At least, that's probably how I'd be.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

28. - Top - End - #28

*30 hours of gameplay later*
    Zodi is disgusted by the thought of missing a single star block on a boss level. If it's not a perfect clear, it's a failure!

At least, that's probably how I'd be.
    Depending on the game I can really go one way or the other. I will get every single damn thing in Sly Cooper and spend like three hours playing and twenty minutes watching someone play one of the speed-run challenges just to see how it's done, and then some games I'll just kinda nudge with my foot and be like "i deed it, game beat"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I imagine it in part is how satisfying things are to beat. If it's "yes, this is proof that I've honed my skill, and it's still fun to attempt" is one thing, while "bleh... it's just collecting thirteen thousand little collectables, and has turned into a chore".

That's how I am for games in general, really. As soon as something's a chore, boot. It's why I'm still stuck on the last boss of Radiant Historia, because I can't be bothered to fight through the first half hour of the battle just to see if this new trick/party composition/level grinding to not be one-shot might work.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, I think that's the most interesting and nonstandard take on Breakout I've ever seen.
    My Homebrew