New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [FINALS]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and finishing up The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #501 - #600 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on October 25th, 4pm EST. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this Best of the Hundred final will go on to the Best of the Thousand tournament if and when we reach Comic Number 1000.

In the second semi-final, 568 - A Sign That You Have a Problem moved on to the finals as it was foretold by those who can foresee the future. Not to be outdone, the stirring oratory of 593 - Another Choice proved to be its equal in moving the judges' hearts. Thus both were deemed worthy to represent their comrades as winners of that semi-final.

Meanwhile, both 538 - Fiend or Foe? and 587 - What to Expect When You're Expecting Assassins threatened enough judges with death and discomfort that they too were allowed their place in the Best of the Hundred's Finals as the Wild Card representatives. Well, I mean, would you tell those strips they didn't have enough backers to move on? Good way to wind up with x's on one's eyes, I'd say!

One hundred more strips have been reviewed and proved worthy. But not quite worthy enough to send the victor on to the Best of the Thousand. For that we need one last set of judges to assemble for.....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (501-600)
    ...................(Finals)

Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-20 at 03:02 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [FINALS]

After voting for 587 in the semi-finals, I just need to show some love for 593 - Another Choice.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

538, my favorite Celia page.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A hard choice.
    I suppose I'll stick with 568, the beginning of Belkar's ordeal and of his subsequent character advancement.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    After voting for 587 in the semi-finals, I just need to show some love for 593 - Another Choice.
    My vote is like this, but it has my name on it. 593.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

No votes for 550 yet? Oh, alright.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Third time voting, third time voting for the same thing
    593 all the way.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

By far the best finals yet. So many good ones to choose from!
    As much as I love O-Chul, I'm going to have to go with 593
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-10-20 at 05:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

#568, with O-Chul as a close second.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #10

#550 - +1 BFF, though #587 comes pretty close for me.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueWizardGirl

I'm definitely voting for either 550 or 593, but I'll wait until later in the round so that I can pick the one that's closest to winning.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGirl

O-Chul! O-Chul! O-Chul!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Tough call. There are so many great comics in this run. But in the end, my decision isn't as hard as Elan's or Therkla's were. 593: Another Choice takes it for me.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2014-10-20 at 08:29 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

550 for me.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

#568 it is.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2014-10-21 at 01:26 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

593, sorry Belkar.
    Last edited by Meph; 2014-10-21 at 07:43 AM.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

538 because Belkar Rocks
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I vote for 568

19. - Top - End - #19

550. It's probably the most important for the plot (since chances are it influenced how MitD will react in the future, not to mention how it already got MitD to save the life of the Order sans V.), and it's also the most interesting and touching of the bunch. The others don't come close, in my opinion.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It seems my vote will only be "for the honor" but I can't let my vote anywhere exep to 587. It is actually about everything I love in OotS and more !

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

While both semifinals were tough, this is easier because the reasons I gave for and against each one still apply. So I'm going to go with 593, another choice.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

550, because I like sleeping in the rain too. Also, "your other friends likely have new and exciting atrocities to commit against me tomorrow" is very much O'Chul.

With 587 as a close second, because Kazumi is awesome whereas Therkla is merely a contrived plot device*.

*She's about the only character in the entire series to have broken my suspension of disbelief, and I hate her for it.

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

Not as hard a choice as I thought this might be. O'Chul/550 for the win!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

550 or 568, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous torture
    Or to take arms against a helpless seer
    And by opposing end him.

I used to support Belkar all the way, but somehow I cannot bypass O-Chul here. 550 for the win.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Running late, so I'll make this quick. If I had to break a tie between 550 and 593, I'd vote for 550 without a second thought. I get why other people like 593, but it really doesn't do that much for me. But since I don't have to break a tie, it comes down to 550 and 568. I honestly thought I might vote for 550 here, given my love for O-Chul and the sheer perfection of this scene. But upon thinking about it, the payoff in 568 is just too great for me to ignore. It may not be moving on to the Best of the Thousand, but it gets my vote nonetheless.

And with that....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

550 - +1 BFF is the winner of this Best of the Hundred tournament! It now moves on to the Best of the Thousand tournament.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (501-600 | Finals)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we we return to the regular rounds of the Stick Awards II where we cover strips #601-#610, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-25 at 04:47 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looking back on it, a lot of the strips in this section (except the O-Chul ones) just don't feel exceptional to me, at least not individually. I think the separated format mad it so that a lot of the strips were mainly build up, and so while this section as a whole is very strong, individually I don't think is quite as grand. Can't say I'm disappointed with the winner though; the main reason why I didn't vote for 550 is that I didn't think that was his best moment here.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the next round of 100, which have some of my favorite moments.

Peelee’s Lotsey

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Looking back on it, a lot of the strips in this section (except the O-Chul ones) just don't feel exceptional to me, at least not individually. I think the separated format mad it so that a lot of the strips were mainly build up, and so while this section as a whole is very strong, individually I don't think is quite as grand. Can't say I'm disappointed with the winner though; the main reason why I didn't vote for 550 is that I didn't think that was his best moment here.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the next round of 100, which have some of my favorite moments.
    Agreed. Although, many of the 600s strips are largely build up, a lot of them are individually good as well. There are going to be some really tough matchups, such as the Darth V, and the unspliced V vs Xykon sequence.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

593 was really, really close...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.