New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Why I love the Conjurer Wizard...

D&D Adventurers League 4-13, The Horseman. Acrux is a Level 10 Master of Molecular Superposition (High Elf Conjurer), Sage background

Acrux and his surly companions roll up on a Galadriel-looking elf lady. She's encircled by an entourage of her finest rangers and they're all getting stomped on by a palisade of crazy, angry treants.

My wizard rolls low on initiative and the sorcerer in our group surrounds the elves with a wall of fire. "Treants don't like fire." The wall is opaque.

Acrux curses in Infernal from the back of his conjured earth elemental and then says something in elven to queen elf lady about, "never should have shared the charm of making with man."

And then I reminded the table why the conjurer rocks:
    • (Bonus) Acrux Misty Steps 30ft into the air, above the opaque rim of the Wall of Fire
    • (Action) He locks eyes with queen elf and activates Benign Transposition, swapping places with her
    • (Reaction) From the ground, Acrux casts Feather Fall with his reaction, slowing queen elf's descent
    • (Free Action) Queen elf lands safely upon the back of Acrux's earth elemental, who promptly whisks her out of range of the flames and treants

On the next round:
    • (Bonus) Acrux Misty Steps 30ft into the air again, recharging Benign Transposition
    • (Action) He simultaneously activates his Serpentine Owl who swoops in and catches him
    • The DM insists Acrux make a Dexterity saving throw to grab onto the giant owl
    • (Reaction) Acrux decreases the check with another Feather Fall

And the finale
    • Acrux activates Benign Transposition on the fighter, into the hands of the giant serpentine owl
    • The owl flies the fighter 120ft to the last treant, who is promptly slain with the aid of the earth elemental
    • Elf chick is super grateful and agrees to send a message back to Acrux via his owl familiar (that's right, there's 2 owls in this tale) when the time is right
    • Acrux, lookin' beefy, takes off on his giant serpentine owl. His earth elemental dances a jig.

There were certainly more efficient ways to contribute to the fight. Probably could have just used the giant owl on the ground and skipped the BT reset. Neither of us caught the "thrown at the ground" limitation on the wondrous owl item. In addition, I didn't use my owl familiar to offer aid and advantage to my allies.

Still, while the warrior types went to work rolling damage and chopping down trees, Acrux was busy scoring brownie points with queen elf lady. Prestige is worth any spell slot.

Some freebies: new DM's forget I can't drop conjure earth elemental from taking damage. By golly is it handy. Why bypass a trap when you can activate it with earth elemental? Totally could have burrowed under the Wall of Fire in that fight.
    Last edited by StarStuff; 2017-11-01 at 11:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Why I love the Conjurer Wizard...

Quote Originally Posted by StarStuff View Post
    D&D Adventurers League 4-13, The Horseman. Acrux is a Level 10 Master of Molecular Superposition (High Elf Conjurer), Sage background

Acrux and his homies roll up on some Galadriel-looking elf chick. She's encircled by an entourage of her finest rangers and they're all getting stomped on by a palisade of crazy, angry treants.

My wizard rolls low on initiative and the sorcerer in our group surrounds the elves with a wall of fire. "Treants don't like fire." The wall is opaque.

Acrux curses in Infernal from the back of his conjured earth elemental and then says something in elven to queen elf chick about, "never should have shared the charm of making with man."

And then I reminded the table why the conjurer rocks:
    • Acrux Misty Steps 30ft into the air, above the opaque rim of the Wall of Fire
    • He locks eyes with queen elf and activates Benign Transposition, swapping places with her
    • From the ground, Acrux casts Feather Fall with his reaction, slowing queen elf's descent
    • Queen elf lands safely upon the back of Acrux's earth elemental, who promptly whisks her out of range of the flames and treants

On the next round:
    • Acrux Misty Steps 30ft into the air again, recharging Benign Transposition
    • He simultaneously activates his Serpentine Owl who swoops in and catches him
    • The DM insists Acrux make a Dexterity saving throw to grab onto the giant owl
    • Acrux decreases the check with another Feather Fall

And the finale
    • Acrux activates Benign Transposition on the fighter, into the hands of the giant serpentine owl
    • The owl flies the fighter 120ft to the last treant, who is promptly slain with the aid of the earth elemental
    • Elf chick is super grateful and agrees to send a message back to Acrux via his owl familiar (that's right, there's 2 owls in this tale) when the time is right
    • Acrux, lookin' beefy, takes off on his new homie, a giant serpentine owl. His earth elemental dances a jig.

There were certainly more efficient ways to contribute to the fight. Probably could have just used the giant owl on the ground and skipped the BT reset. Neither of us caught the "thrown at the ground" limitation on the wondrous owl item. In addition, I didn't use my owl familiar to offer aid to my allies much in that fight.

Still, while the warrior types went to work rolling damage and chopping down trees, Acrux was busy scoring brownie points with ultra-hot, queen elf chick. Respect is worth any spell slot.

Some freebies: new DM's forget I can't drop conjure earth elemental from taking damage. By golly is it handy. Why bypass a trap when you can activate it with earth elemental? Totally could have burrowed under the Wall of Fire in that fight.
    What!? Just what!? Congrats Starstuff you have become one of the few people who have "won" d&d.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fun story. Every time I look at Benign Transposition I see a big ol' barrel of shenanigans, so it's nice to see that bears out in play.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been pulling misty step and dimension door shenanigans for a bit now, both with a bard and a sorcerer. Maybe it's time to play with the conjurer...

5. - Top - End - #5

Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Drackolus View Post
    I've been pulling misty step and dimension door shenanigans for a bit now, both with a bard and a sorcerer. Maybe it's time to play with the conjurer...
    That wouldn't work, though? Misty Step and Dimension Door are two full spells, one cast with Action, the other with a Bonus Action. If you cast a Bonus Action spell, you can only cast a cantrip with your Action.

StarStuff's stuff works because Feather Fall is a Reaction spell.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by rollingForInit View Post
    Well played!

That wouldn't work, though? Misty Step and Dimension Door are two full spells, one cast with Action, the other with a Bonus Action. If you cast a Bonus Action spell, you can only cast a cantrip with your Action.

StarStuff's stuff works because Feather Fall is a Reaction spell.
    Not in the same turn, though dimension door does reset benign transposition since it's a conjuration spell.
    Mix in some Sorcerer for quicken spell and/or Fighter for action surge, and that's a different story.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDancer View Post
    What!? Just what!? Congrats Starstuff you have become one of the few people who have "won" d&d.
    Do you mind if I quote this to my signature?