New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Lightbulb Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Welcome to the latest installment of discussion threads for Questionable Content, a M-F "slice of life" comic in which life is defined by coffee, robots, Butts Disease, and spontaneous metal interludes.

You have been warned.

Links To The Past
    Questionable Content 1
    Questionable Content 2: Espresso With Extra Scorn
    Questionable Content 3: Ironically Quite Popular
    Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC
    Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease
    Questionable Content 6: Murder Mode
    Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts
    Questionable Content 8: OMG I SHIP IT!
    Questionable Content 9: To Kill a Yelling Bird
    Questionable Content 10: La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo
    Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn
    Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence
    Questionable Content 13: It's YOU Who Is The Dork!

I would like to offer an Honourable Mention to The Glyphstone who suggested "Socially Appropriate Thread Title!" as a strong contender, but frankly he was fighting a losing battle against butts right from the beginning. Better luck next time, sir.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

If everyone's butt emblem is fancy, then NOBODIES butt emblem is fancy! Also poor crushbot, dont be so mean faye, it was an accident!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3

So... was Winslow badly informed? Or did I miss something?

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=668
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If everyone's butt emblem is fancy, then NOBODIES butt emblem is fancy! Also poor crushbot, dont be so mean faye, it was an accident!
    No, be mean Faye, nobody who calls themselves Crushbot gets to act surprised when they crush something.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So... was Winslow badly informed? Or did I miss something?

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=668
    I'm not following.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imagine if it had been a human or other organic being, instead of an AI who can have a body replacement available in short order. If Crushbot just falling over is enough to destroy Roko's body, what would he have done to a human body?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'm not following.
    Equal rights for robots. I assume that they already have them. Plus, they appear to have no responsibility, yet there is a robojail.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Imagine if it had been a human or other organic being, instead of an AI who can have a body replacement available in short order. If Crushbot just falling over is enough to destroy Roko's body, what would he have done to a human body?
    Similar thing to being hit by a car, or having a forklift drop a piano on one, or any of a thousand things like that. This is probably one of those ai law issues that havent been fully considered yet, we dont let cars drive on the sidewalk due to the danger towards pedestrians, should multi ton robot bodies bear similar restrictions? If so, where are they supposed to go? Its doubtful crushbot can handle traveling at local speed limits after all, so staying on the road probably isnt an option. Should he be stuck in the warehouse he works at or wherever until he buys a secondary body to transfer between?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #9

Griffon

I think that particular comic predates the coming of the Singularity, which was specifically described somewhere in the 1800's or so, I think. AIs started getting humanoid bodies and a bigger role in society in general right after that point, so perhaps that's also when the civil rights (and responsibilities) also kicked in?

[EDIT] Google says it was in #1777. Pintsize was disappointed because he thought he would be getting sexy robotic elohim, rather than intellectual validity.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-01-11 at 09:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Equal rights for robots. I assume that they already have them. Plus, they appear to have no responsibility, yet there is a robojail.
    The equal rights are a relatively new thing. See how back then they're still talking about "their owners"? These days it's "companions" and such.

Edit: You can read a bit more here: http://questionablecontent.wikia.com...s_of_AnthroPCs
    Last edited by Morquard; 2019-01-11 at 09:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Jeph mostly just quietly changed that when he became more interested in developing the AIs. Back then, they had owners, but Pintsize also later commented on how he was a companion AI to Marten and had chosen that life.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pintsize was mainly around to start with because Webcomics at the time always had a wacky mascot. See:

User Friendly - Dust Puppy
    PvP - Skull
    Something Positive - Choo Choo Bear
    Sluggy Freelance - Bun-Bun
    Penny Arcade - parodied with Div.
    Gunnerkrigg Court - Reynard
    Girl Genius - Krosp, arguably.
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete - Zeke

It was just kind of what you did. When Jeph got interested in AI, he had to try and retcon in Pintsize despite him not really fitting the mold.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Wait this is Post-singularity? I forgot. This is obcenely optimistic. Based on the academics of it we'll probably end up closer to the "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" future. If we're lucky, it just won't notice us and kill us while trying to do something else

14. - Top - End - #14

Griffon

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Wait this is Post-singularity? I forgot. This is obcenely optimistic. Based on the academics of it we'll probably end up closer to the "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" future. If we're lucky, it just won't notice us and kill us while trying to do something else
    Personally, I expect a "I Have No Job and I Must Eat" scenario.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Personally, I expect a "I Have No Job and I Must Eat" scenario.
    That's just automation. Which will happen, but pre-singularity. When The AI singilarity happens. We'll be to this AI, essentially, as animals are to us. It will be over for humanity. Period.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    That's just automation. Which will happen, but pre-singularity. When The AI singilarity happens. We'll be to this AI, essentially, as animals are to us. It will be over for humanity. Period.
    One of many conflicting predictions.

If it ever happens at all.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

With regards to QC, most, and in fact possibly all (Spookybot is a question mark) of the AIs we encounter are explicitly not capable of recursive self-improvement. As a result even AIs that clearly possess significantly more cognitive potency than any human several times over, such as Station, have distinct limits to their capabilities. As a result, it is likely that the 'Singularity' as it occurred in QC represents something very different from a typical hard take off AI Risk scenario. What seems to have happened is that the AIs in the universe mostly ran into fundamental limits in terms of upgrading their consciousness. It is vaguely implied that enhancing their intelligence, while possible, requires exponentially more hardware to get exponentially better results, and this has largely prevented them from trying it (and also because they seem to have some deep-seated objections to trying to go the whole Matrioshka Brain route).

Now, of course, this may be entirely illusory and the real AIs of the universe represent Spookybot and the beings beyond it and they're all busy converting Jupiter into computronium or something and have just decided to magnanimously ignore Earth for a while because it amuses them to do so. If so, then QC represents a story of the 'left behinds,' a type of science fiction rapidly becoming more common (ex. Rapture of the Nerds). This is, of course, appropriate, because QC was always about people largely left behind by modern society in the first place and adding a bunch of AI types who are in a similar position vis a vis their own society makes sense.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Butt Emblem, the new RPG by Intelligent Systems. Rated M for Mature.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lemon, no, don't. The danger is too great.

Faye started out so well, too.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post

Faye started out so well, too.
    Given Faye's personal experience with physical injury resulting in visible changes to your body, I would think she would be more sensitive to Roko's discomfort.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eee
    I thought that was adorable. Nuclear reactors have AI personalities, and they're so stressed and paranoid with the weight of their responsibilities that they need a therapist to check them for depression.
    Melon almost certainly doesn't mean that she wants to run into a control room and start pushing random buttons, but that she wants a play-date with someone who is lonely. That's sweet of her, in her own strange way.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given Faye's personal experience with physical injury resulting in visible changes to your body, I would think she would be more sensitive to Roko's discomfort.
    Faye overreacting and overcompensating in order to hide her own insecurity is perfectly within her established character, I think.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-01-14 at 03:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Forgot we had a new thread already...
    When did Faye forget about the concept of personal space? If someone walked up to her and pulled her ear, e.g. Roko she'd probably punch them. Why is she acting like this is normal?

Also, Melon might just cause someone to go crazy, so... I'm not sure if I'm for or against this plan. (I'm pretty definitely against giving control of a nuclear plant to a single entity, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    When did Faye forget about the concept of personal space? If someone walked up to her and pulled her ear, e.g. Roko she'd probably punch them. Why is she acting like this is normal?
    Because she's a bully who regularly criticises and/or harasses other people but sulks and lashes out when the same scrutiny is turned on her.

If I were being politically minded, I'd possibly suggest that its a form of unacknowledged prejudice. To Faye, Roko is an AI mind and her body is just an accessory that can be swapped out on a whim. It's not really "her" so it doesn't matter if she prods and pokes at it without permission, it's like me admiring your car in a parking lot.

I don't actually believe that's what Jeph is going for; more that it's Faye's "professional interest", so intrigued and excited by the new 'toy' that she forgets its more than that to Roko. Rude, but a staple comedy trope and not usually meant maliciously.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-01-14 at 06:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Also, Melon might just cause someone to go crazy, so... I'm not sure if I'm for or against this plan. (I'm pretty definitely against giving control of a nuclear plant to a single entity, though.
    Faye generally seems like someone who generally needs to be heavily prodded onto the path of introspection about other people. See her realising that her old behaviour probably drove Bubbles nuts.

As for the nuclear power plant dealie, I know it was (and maybe still is) policy at Canadian reactors that the head engineer of a plant had veto power on decisions in an emergency because they would know the plant better than any outside party coming in.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since they require mental support it certainly is. Unless something about nuclear reactors in the qc verse requires a full ai, normal software would likely be the better choice (I would say make one ai manage several of these normal softwares but the software probably shouldn't be accessible from the outside so that is impractical.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Since they require mental support it certainly is. Unless something about nuclear reactors in the qc verse requires a full ai, normal software would likely be the better choice (I would say make one ai manage several of these normal softwares but the software probably shouldn't be accessible from the outside so that is impractical.)
    I could see using AI as they could have a better mental capacity to monitor and manage the various systems and protocols. Since AI have very human functions, they are the perfect hybrid of precision and detail of computers, with the intuitive leaps of humans.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Monday's update... where once again a character is made clueless and past growth is negated in order to cram a joke and/or "point" into the narrative.

One of the common elements of popular / episodic fiction that I loath.

29. - Top - End - #29

Im going with this is another arc for faye to confront her robotist behavior. Its more microaggression level so its harder to notice, but as has been pointed out, she wouldnt walk up to a HUMAN who just got out of hospital and start grabbing body parts to talk about how awesome they are. Or at the very least she wouldnt do it to casual acquaintances at best. So yeah, we are going to get a Very Special Arc tm about how she is behaving and why bubbles is upset with her and why faye needs to go apologize.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Faye's lines read to me like this.

"Hey what a cute puppy! I'm so sorry your old dog got mauled brutally, but considering how much you loved him, this new one must be super awesome now, right?"