New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    You've probably thought of this already, but allow me to also recommend to get some backup storage. Cloud storage is one option. Depending on what microsoft/google/amazon/whatever subscriptions or accounts you have you may already access to some limited cloud storage. If you have an outlook account, for example, you might already have access to your own OneDrive cloud storage.

Alternatively, and perhaps even better, is to just buy an external hard disk. A 1 terabyte HDD shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm glad you were able to quickly recover a lot of the lost materials.
    I mean deleting my files wasn't even the main storage problem.

the main storage problem is all the videogames I have! they take up GIGABYTES of storage, and suddenly I was down to only MB's when last I checked I had about 55 GBs, but apparently some Skyrim mods take up more space than I thought. I had to uninstall civ 6 in the process of freeing up space. it figuring how to deal with all that is the real storage problem that led to this.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

the main storage problem is all the videogames I have! they take up GIGABYTES of storage, and suddenly I was down to only MB's when last I checked I had about 55 GBs, but apparently some Skyrim mods take up more space than I thought. I had to uninstall civ 6 in the process of freeing up space. it figuring how to deal with all that is the real storage problem that led to this.
    Even if you have lots of space available having backup storage is invaluable in case disaster strikes. If your computer's hard drive gets fried/corrupted/ransomwared you'll be very happy have that backup with your artwork!

Personally, I've made it a habit to uninstall my games once I know I'm done with them. In practice I'll always have about ~500GB free. I'll never be playing more than 2, maybe 3, games at any given time, so for me there's no reason to have them all at the ready. Even the bigger games download fairly quickly with a decent internet connection.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Even if you have lots of space available having backup storage is invaluable in case disaster strikes.
    The whole point is to have storage which is *only* used for backups. There's an old saying: if you only have one copy of a file, you don't care if you lose it. Use some sort of automated gizmo to copy important stuff from the internal storage to the backup drive and *don't* touch it except to confirm it's working or to copy it back when you lose the main file (I use the free Microsoft Synctoy for this).

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

This is the exact reason I run my games from an external HDD. Sure the loading times might be slower, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make .

But yeah, anything important to you should be a backed up anyway. Get an external hard drive or two (a 2TB one is £60, 1TB will be cheaper)

As a side note, I remember when 10GB meant a massive RPG with over a hundred hours of story, combat, and exploration. Now it seems to mean 'so sorry the majority of players will return it'. I'm somewhat disappointed, partially because that era has done of my favourite games, mostly because it means I need to update my storage solutions.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I've made it a habit to uninstall my games once I know I'm done with them. In practice I'll always have about ~500GB free. I'll never be playing more than 2, maybe 3, games at any given time, so for me there's no reason to have them all at the ready. Even the bigger games download fairly quickly with a decent internet connection.
    I'm envious that you have the focus for that. I'm all over the place, playing whatever I feel like at the time and wish I could focus more so I can actually complete something rather than flitting between one game or another.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Personally, I've made it a habit to uninstall my games once I know I'm done with them.
    I on the other hand, don't uninstall anything any more. Disks are getting better, but I remember them being small and unreliable, and every time you write to them, including deleting things, is another chance for something to go wrong. Disks are huge now, and cheap too.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-04 at 06:24 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Finally at Jo's least serial, and darn if she hasn't grown on me. She's pretty much the perfect companion for the Third Doctor, not a genius like Liz was but certainly brave and resourceful with all the adventuring skills the Doctor lacks. It makes me worried that Sarah Jane will just come off poorly compared to her. It's like the second coming of Jamie.

It's strange, this was the era I was least looking forward to (yes, even less than Six), and yet every element has charmed the socks off me. The only downside has been the one serial where the original version was not on BritBox,, but I understand that it was a car of uniquely poor social effects (even moreso than the Dalek hubcap starship).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Finally at Jo's least serial, and darn if she hasn't grown on me. She's pretty much the perfect companion for the Third Doctor, not a genius like Liz was but certainly brave and resourceful with all the adventuring skills the Doctor lacks. It makes me worried that Sarah Jane will just come off poorly compared to her. It's like the second coming of Jamie.
    I'm still not sure what to make of the fact that Jo gets together with basically a human version of the Third Doctor (closer in age to her at least).

It's strange, this was the era I was least looking forward to (yes, even less than Six), and yet every element has charmed the socks off me. The only downside has been the one serial where the original version was not on BritBox,, but I understand that it was a car of uniquely poor social effects (even moreso than the Dalek hubcap starship).
    Which one was it?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm still not sure what to make of the fact that Jo gets together with basically a human version of the Third Doctor (closer in age to her at least).
    To be fair, it's better than the Doctor/companion romances the new series insists on. My personal take is that the new series Doctor is only even interested in humans because of their value resemblance to Galifreyans (and but even all new series Doctors).

It's a shame though, I was a Jo/Captain Yates shipper early on.

Which one was it?
    Failure of the Daleks.

Okay, I can't remember the actual name. It's the one where they didn't have enough Dalek props to convincingly image a country estate.

Show

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Failure of the Daleks.

Okay, I can't remember the actual name. It's the one where they didn't have enough Dalek props to convincingly image a country estate.
    Ah yes, Day of the Daleks. Fear the might of the invincible Dalek army! All three of them!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah yes, Day of the Daleks. Fear the might of the invincible Dalek army! All three of them!
    Don't worry, the next Dalek story has another seven. They're definitely real, and not made out of balsa wood!

Show

12. - Top - End - #1032

Hypothetical question: A procedure by which someone could gain eternal perfect health—that is to say, total imperviousness to disease and the ability to swiftly make a 100% recovery from anything that doesn't kill you outright, almost guaranteeing a death of incredibly advanced age with no problems until you just shut down one night—is discovered, but the process results in a metamorphosis that leaves you looking, externally, like a child for the rest of your life and there's always hassle involving cards and documents to prove that you're your real age.

Do you seek out the procedure?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hypothetical question: A procedure by which someone could gain eternal perfect health—that is to say, total imperviousness to disease and the ability to swiftly make a 100% recovery from anything that doesn't kill you outright, almost guaranteeing a death of incredibly advanced age with no problems until you just shut down one night—is discovered, but the process results in a metamorphosis that leaves you looking, externally, like a child for the rest of your life and there's always hassle involving cards and documents to prove that you're your real age.

On the plus side eternal health, on the other side proving I can engage in certain activities is a massive hassle?

I'll probably wait for the next miraculous procedure, I'm sure this one's side effects are going to create a very big mess when certain parts of life get involved.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Firbolg in the Playground

Big nope. The thing with looking like a child wouldn't even factor into the decision.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Big nope. The thing with looking like a child wouldn't even factor into the decision.
    ...Okay, this answer confuses me.

If looking like a child doesn't factor...

Does that mean you have some objection to perfect health?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

The child part is an absolute dealbreaker for many reasons.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming that money is of no object, absolutely. Perfect health and eternal youth and free skincare? Sign me up.

Lots of adults are young-looking and look like kids already, so I'm not sure the procedure produces any novel problems, either.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Lots of adults are young-looking and look like kids already, so I'm not sure the procedure produces any novel problems, either.
    I just thought something like this.

If said child is roughly fourteen to seventeen turn I'd probably go for it. Sure it'll mean getting IDed a lot, but I think I could manage with the consequences at that age

Show

19. - Top - End - #1039

Assuming that money is of no object, absolutely. Perfect health and eternal youth and free skincare? Sign me up.

I didn't say eternal youth. You'd still be aging internally, you just wouldn't look it or feel it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1040

...Okay, this answer confuses me.

If looking like a child doesn't factor...

Does that mean you have some objection to perfect health?
    To an incredibly long life, in fact. 'Round here, people get to live long enough as is. Even longer than I'd like to.
    That said, I don't care about perfect health that much either. Imperfect health (and rest assured that mine's like that) is part of the deal as far as I'm concerned.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on how old you mean by "child", really, and what physiological/psychological effects are in play (especially puberty, but also other things like metabolism and various physical/mental things like neuroplasticity and alcohol/drug tolerances). How well-known the procedure and the side effects are might matter too (i.e. - how hard will it be to convince someone I've done this).

Answering the question as asked (i.e. - younger than 10): Definitely not. That'd probably spell the end of my independence, unless I could get extensive documentation proving I'm actually my real age. Additionally, a good deal of my self-image is tied up in what's become of my body in the past decade or so, and I think I'd have a hard time letting that go. It'd be almost impossible for me to maintain my employment, and my wife would also object. This is mostly downside, and I'd rather just take the next 40-60 years as they come.

Ages 10-13 are a "probably not". That's still young enough that I'd expect there to be issues, especially since it's (mostly) pre-puberty, but I could probably be taken seriously in public as a teenager (albeit young-looking) and not an outright child. I might have some issues maintaining employment, but it's at least plausible at these ages. My wife would also object. This is still mostly downside, but it's at least interesting as a hypothetical trade-off.

Ages 14-18 are a maybe. That's old enough that I'd basically look like a very young adult. Employment wouldn't really be an issue here - I look about the same now as I did then, plus some wrinkles and facial hair (I'd be disappointed to lose the mustache, but not needing to shave is a plus). It helps some that I was already losing hair as a teenager. It'd be fairly straightforward to keep my job looking these ages, though buying alcohol might be a hassle. My wife might object, but probably not. It's mostly upside at this point, but we're also getting away from the original question, I think.
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

I just thought something like this.

If said child is roughly fourteen to seventeen turn I'd probably go for it. Sure it'll mean getting IDed a lot, but I think I could manage with the consequences at that age
    I was gonna say that it'd be manageable even if you looked younger. But then I realized what the "messiness" people were referring to meant! (I guess that cements my sexuality.)

I didn't say eternal youth. You'd still be aging internally, you just wouldn't look it or feel it.
    Right! Sloppy language on my part: I mean youth for as long as I live.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Depends on how old you mean by "child", really, and what physiological/psychological effects are in play (especially puberty, but also other things like metabolism and various physical/mental things like neuroplasticity and alcohol/drug tolerances). How well-known the procedure and the side effects are might matter too (i.e. - how hard will it be to convince someone I've done this).
    Note the qualifier "external"
    but the process results in a metamorphosis that leaves you looking, externally, like a child for the rest of your life and there's always hassle involving cards and documents to prove that you're your real age.
    It's only skin deep.

Your organs would, perhaps other than size, be those of a healthy person of your real age. You'd think, feel, process thoughts and feeling as a person of your actual age, and drug tolerance is whatever someone of your age and weight would have.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

I was gonna say that it'd be manageable even if you looked younger. But then I realized what the "messiness" people were referring to meant! (I guess that cements my sexuality.)
    It's not all sex! I mean a lot of it is sex, at least in my case, but there are some considerations (including a lack of height and muscle mass potentially forcing people out of their jobs).

Show

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

I don't assume it would be free.

I also don't assume it would work only on a small percentage of people.

Living in a world full of kids? Potentially kids enslaved for few hundred years before they pay off the debt? Nah. Thanks. I'll flaunt my relatively fast demise in their teenage faces
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Potentially kids enslaved for few hundred years?
    No one would live that long.

We're not talking eternal youth, we're talking "you don't feel or show the effects of age at all up until you go to bed one night and don't get up in the morning."

The theoretical maximum human life span is about 125 years, so nobody is living much longer than that.

Regardless, I can't help but think it's interesting that your instinct is to assume it's a trap to force people into a lifetime of indentured servitude.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just waiting for the inevitable clarifications that make A) this deal a no brainer and B) me incredibly suspicious.

Not that I'm not already 'push the researcher into the machine first' suspicious.

Honestly, I'd give up the youth until death and other bits for a regeneration cycle. Even without the enhanced lifespan I'd likely get about 400 years of life, with a new face and some psychological changes to help live each life differently (plus it seems like regenerating into a child isn't a standard feature, I suspect the 30s-40s are the most likely age for each new body).
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-09-05 at 04:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

Note the qualifier "external"It's only skin deep.

Your organs would, perhaps other than size, be those of a healthy person of your real age. You'd think, feel, process thoughts and feeling as a person of your actual age, and drug tolerance is whatever someone of your age and weight would have.
    Are we counting vocal chords as "internal" or "external"? How about muscle and tendon strength? Do I get to keep my muscle memory? Does this procedure fix my hearing damage? How about my vision?

It's not all sex! I mean a lot of it is sex, at least in my case, but there are some considerations (including a lack of height and muscle mass potentially forcing people out of their jobs).
    Sex is a big one, for sure.

Tiny hands (and to a certain extent, the height and muscle mass) would make most of what I do professionally (and for hobbies) more difficult. I've got a decade or so of muscle memory in typing and playing string instruments, and reverting that would require a lot of effort on my part to restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    I don't assume it would be free.

I also don't assume it would work only on a small percentage of people.

Living in a world full of kids? Potentially kids enslaved for few hundred years before they pay off the debt? Nah. Thanks. I'll flaunt my relatively fast demise in their teenage faces
    Also this.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Honestly, I'd give up the youth until death and other bits for a regeneration cycle. Even without the enhanced lifespan I'd likely get about 400 years of life, with a new face and some psychological changes to help live each life differently (plus it seems like regenerating into a child isn't a standard feature, I suspect the 30s-40s are the most likely age for each new body).
    Where are you getting your model for a regeneration cycle, Doctor Who?

30. - Top - End - #1050

I'd likely get about 400 years of life
    Yuck. Why would you want to do that?