New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default [PF] Conjuration Sub-School: Demonologist

Hello all,

So a bit ago I tried making a warcraft-inspired warlock. That mutated into a "Voidlock", a Void-based class. The problem is, as someone pointed out, that I was "too creative for my own good" and tried to put too much in there and the whole thing eventually collapsed upon its own weight.

Thus, revitalized, I'm trying something on a smaller scale.

I still love the idea of an infernal-based dark wizard who uses their own body as a conduit for their fel-based magics while enslaving demons/devils to take hits for them in combat, so that's the theme I'm sticking with.

So, let's see how this goes!

The Demonologist

The demonologist has studied not only the demonic denizens of the infernal planes, but the essence which constitutes their existence. The demonologist has tethered their very physicality to the fel planes and uses their bodies as conduits for the motes of power that they have siphoned from its limitless depths. Thus, they have forever entwined their physical prowess with their control over the hellish.

Associated School: Conjuration.

Suggested Opposition Schools: Enchantment, illusion, or necromancy.

Alignment: Any non-good.

Infernal Conduit (Ex):
    A demonologist uses their Constitution instead of Intelligence when determining their highest level of spells they can cast, their save DCs, number of spells known at 1st level, bonus spells per day and any other effects usually associated with their Intelligence.

This ability replaces Summoners Charm.

Fire and Blood (Ex):
    At 1st level, a demonologist can alter spells that deal energy damage to instead deal hellfire damage. She can do this as a free action a number of times per day equal to her Constitution modifier (minimum 1). Spells altered to use hellfire gain the lawful and evil descriptors.

Hellfire is treated as normal fire, but deals half fire damage and half damage from unholy energy. Damage dealt by hellfire is known as hellfire damage. Evil-aligned creatures and creatures with the evil subtype take no damage from the unholy energy, but good-aligned beings and those with the good subtype take double the normal damage from it.

This ability replaces Acid Darts.

Slavery (Su):
    Starting at 5th level, the demonologist may nominate a creature within their service either via a Summon or Calling spell. Whenever the demonologist takes damage, half of that damage is instead taken by the nominated creature. If your hit points are reduced by a lowered Constitution score, that reduction is not shared with the subject because it is not a form of hit point damage. When this power ends, subsequent damage is no longer divided between the subject and you, but damage already shared is not reassigned. This effect can be activated as a swift action and lasts for 1 minute per class level, in 1 minute increments that do not need to be consecutive. The demonologist may only benefit from one instance of this ability at any one time and may choose which creature is the recipient of this ability.

This ability replaces Dimensional Steps.

Imp Familiar (Ex):
    At 7th level, the demonologist gains Improved Familiar as a bonus feat, and must take an imp as a familiar. The imp is loyal to the demonologist (though ultimately loyal to Hell).

This ability replaces Arcane Bond.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2016-01-20 at 08:37 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Conjuration Sub-School: Demologist

Who dares disturb my slumber?

You summoned the Abyssal King of Nitpicking (yep, that's me). You shall likely regret it!

Seriously - I appreciate that you asked for my opinion specifically, but I'm afraid that you might not like it very much

Anyway, here goes.

First off: You might want to specify, right off the bat, that this is PF-based. Just to avoid confusion.

It's probably a good idea to try and start with a less ambitious project than a full class. However, a sub-school is really a small, small sandbox to play in. Just 3 powers that you can replace; I see that you extended that a bit, there are a couple of Pathfinder sub-schools that take that path, but even these are rather limited in customization scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Infernal Conduit (Ex):
    A demonologist uses their Constitution instead of Intelligence when determining their highest level of spells they can cast, their save DCs, number of spells known at 1st level, bonus spells per day and any other effects usually associated with their Intelligence.

This ability replaces Summoners Charm and Acid Dart
    This is a little strange for a subschool. This provides a mechanical benefit in that it reduces the character's MAD. It more than balances the loss of two fairly modest 1st-level powers.

Fire and Blood (Ex):
    At 2nd level, a demonologist can alter spells that deal energy damage to instead deal hellfire damage. She can do this as a free action a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Constitution modifier (minimum 1). Spells altered to use hellfire gain the lawful and evil descriptors.

Slavery (Su):
    Starting at 5th level, any creature allied with the demonologist via a Summon or Calling spell is automatically under the effect of the Share Pain spell with the demonologist for as long as it remains in their service. The demonologist may only benefit from one instance of this ability at any one time and may choose which creature is the recipient of this ability.

This ability replaces Dimensional Steps.
    You're adding powers at levels 2 and 5, something sub-schools normally don't do. These are rather beefy powers, too. They replace one pretty strong power, Dimensional Steps. Overall you're coming clearly ahead, out of that deal.

I also see that you are introducing a new energy type. Again. I think you already know pretty much everything I have to say about that, from our discussion of the warlock last year. I tend to be very consistent in my objections, so everything I wrote against this idea in the past remains completely applicable here.

... Unless by hellfire you mean something that's pure fluff, so that hellfire damage is actually fire in every respect but the name - specifically, normal fire resistance and immunity still work against it. Somehow, I don't feel like this is your intent here

Arcane Bond:
    Demonologists do not gain an arcane bond at 1st level.

Imp Familiar (Ex):
    At 7th level, the demonologist gains Improved Familiar as a bonus feat, and must take an imp as a familiar. The imp is ultimately loyal to the demonologist.
    Interesting. You remove the familiar option at level 1, and it comes back at level 7 as an imp. Why not. I guess, from a pure power perspective, it qualifies as a wash. The language "the imp is ultimately loyal to the demonologist" contradicts the fundamental nature of imps... I recognize your well-established tendency to eliminate anything that looks like a possible caveat or limitation on your path to power. Not the first time I see you do this, and, being as consistent as ever... I disagree with this approach

My view, from a power perspective: There's one power too many for this to be balanced. I'd remove Fire and Blood entirely, replace it with... nothing. Also remove the thing about the loyal imp, it's not just broken, it's an oxymoron. Then you'll have something that's roughly balanced against other subschool options.

Alternative suggestion: Why not go for an archetype rather than a subschool? An archetype is more flexible in terms of what you can replace. You can even replace the whole arcane school class feature, if you feel like it. So, more freedom to add stuff.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Who dares disturb my slumber?

You summoned the Abyssal King of Nitpicking (yep, that's me). You shall likely regret it!

Seriously - I appreciate that you asked for my opinion specifically, but I'm afraid that you might not like it very much
    You've graced me with your presence - I regret nothing .

Anyway, here goes.

First off: You might want to specify, right off the bat, that this is PF-based. Just to avoid confusion.

Oh? I put [PF] in the title description.

It's probably a good idea to try and start with a less ambitious project than a full class. However, a sub-school is really a small, small sandbox to play in. Just 3 powers that you can replace; I see that you extended that a bit, there are a couple of Pathfinder sub-schools that take that path, but even these are rather limited in customization scope.

This is a little strange for a subschool. This provides a mechanical benefit in that it reduces the character's MAD. It more than balances the loss of two fairly modest 1st-level powers.
    More on this later.

Aye, but I do really like the idea of a "tough" spell-caster - someone who uses their physical body as a channel for their arcane power.

They would, however, still be required to sink points into Intelligence for their Skills and Knowledges, without which they'd be pretty poor wizards. So I'd still see Intelligence requiring at least a 14 or so. As funny as the idea is of a demonologist hitting the gym and doing cardio training to further expand their knowledge of engineering, there is only so far I can stretch it .

You're adding powers at levels 2 and 5, something sub-schools normally don't do. These are rather beefy powers, too. They replace one pretty strong power, Dimensional Steps. Overall you're coming clearly ahead, out of that deal.

I also see that you are introducing a new energy type. Again. I think you already know pretty much everything I have to say about that, from our discussion of the warlock last year. I tend to be very consistent in my objections, so everything I wrote against this idea in the past remains completely applicable here.

... Unless by hellfire you mean something that's pure fluff, so that hellfire damage is actually fire in every respect but the name - specifically, normal fire resistance and immunity still work against it. Somehow, I don't feel like this is your intent here

Ahh! I finally have something about the system that I know and that you do not, friend .

For you see Hellfire damage already exists in the game. That particular ability, Fire and Blood, is taken from the Diabolists ability to do the exact same thing, it's just "Diabolist" has been replaced with "Demonologist".

Hellfire damage itself is best explained here and here. Of the top of my head, this makes a demonologist with a Rod of Empower + Hellfire Fireball a nasty surprise in waiting for any good-aligned clerics .

I was actually thinking if Slavery should get a slight buff and be the ability that keeps the player loyal to the class and not stray into some seductive prestige class. Something like at 5th level (the level they get the ability) if they have a minion under the effect of Slavery, the demonologist also gets a +2 insight bonus to their saving throws, which grows by +1 for every 4 class levels thereafter. That gives them more incentive to stay in the Wizard class.

Thoughts?

Interesting. You remove the familiar option at level 1, and it comes back at level 7 as an imp. Why not. I guess, from a pure power perspective, it qualifies as a wash. The language "the imp is ultimately loyal to the demonologist" contradicts the fundamental nature of imps... I recognize your well-established tendency to eliminate anything that looks like a possible caveat or limitation on your path to power. Not the first time I see you do this, and, being as consistent as ever... I disagree with this approach
    But the imp is supposed to be your best friend . What good is there having a buddy that's not ultimately loyal to you?

I did originally have that Demonologist got an arcane bond as usual, but they had to ritualistically sacrifice it to the infernal/abyssal planes by locking it inside a bronze urn and chanting while cooking it over a hot fire for an hour. In return, they received an extremely loyal Imp. What do you think about that arrangement?

My view, from a power perspective: There's one power too many for this to be balanced. I'd remove Fire and Blood entirely, replace it with... nothing. Also remove the thing about the loyal imp, it's not just broken, it's an oxymoron. Then you'll have something that's roughly balanced against other subschool options.

Alternative suggestion: Why not go for an archetype rather than a subschool? An archetype is more flexible in terms of what you can replace. You can even replace the whole arcane school class feature, if you feel like it. So, more freedom to add stuff.
    Fire and Blood is indeed the most apparent candidate for the cut if this were to remain a sub-school. However your suggestion on the archetype is really interesting - I had not thought of it earlier.

If the above were presented as an Archetype instead, would you see it being more suitable? Even throwing in a small sweetener like "Planar Knowledge +3 to Knowledge (The Planes)"?
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2016-01-19 at 01:35 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #4

Aye, but I do really like the idea of a "tough" spell-caster - someone who uses their physical body as a channel for their arcane power.
    Using the physical body to power arcane abilities makes sense but it shouldn't extend to learning those same abilities - that's just weird. I'm saying this from a flavor perspective, not a balance perspective (balance-wise, this isn't crazy, you can compensate with other things).

Maybe it's OK to give bonus spells based on Constitution, but learning new spells should be Intelligence-based, I think. Not sure what mechanism would work for that.

For you see Hellfire damage already exists in the game. That particular ability, Fire and Blood, is taken from the Diabolists ability to do the exact same thing, it's just "Diabolist" has been replaced with "Demonologist".

Hellfire damage itself is best explained here and here. Of the top of my head, this makes a demonologist with a Rod of Empower + Hellfire Fireball a nasty surprise in waiting for any good-aligned clerics .
    I see. It's a stretch, however, because this thing isn't well integrated in the system. For one thing, there are two versions: One as part of the Sorcerer's Infernal bloodline, and another one in the Book of the Damned. There's also a third one which you linked to, and it's different from the other two, but I'm going to discount it as a reference, because it's 3rd party stuff.

So you need to choose which version to use. I suspect the BotD's is the one you want. It's very powerful: "Hellfire is treated as normal fire, but deals half fire damage and half damage from unholy energy. Damage dealt by hellfire is known as hellfire damage. Evil-aligned creatures and creatures with the evil subtype take no damage from the unholy energy, but good-aligned beings and those with the good subtype take double the normal damage from it." This isn't in the PFSRD so you may want to write it explicitly in your description (I'm not saying that makes it balanced, though...)

it's just "Diabolist" has been replaced with "Demonologist".
    Except you haven't. The Diabolist has this ability a number of times per day equal to her spellcasting ability modifier (minimum 1), while you have it 3 + her Constitution modifier (minimum 1). See, by now I know all your little tricks, that kind of shenanigan won't escape my watchful eye

(Seriously, increasing the number of uses by 3 is a big deal for such a strong power; in practice you're making next to unlimited, until the very high levels).

I was actually thinking if Slavery should get a slight buff and be the ability that keeps the player loyal to the class and not stray into some seductive prestige class. Something like at 5th level (the level they get the ability) if they have a minion under the effect of Slavery, the demonologist also gets a +2 insight bonus to their saving throws, which grows by +1 for every 4 class levels thereafter. That gives them more incentive to stay in the Wizard class.

Thoughts?
    C'mon, this is not a "slight buff". It's a huge bonus to all saves, scaling up to +7. Way over the top. Flavor-wise, why an insight bonus? The minion isn't a divination device. But balance is the real problem here.

But the imp is supposed to be your best friend . What good is there having a buddy that's not ultimately loyal to you?
    It is, most emphatically, NOT supposed to be your friend. It's an imp, for Hell's sake! It's got no friends by definition - only masters, servants, and temporary allies.

I did originally have that Demonologist got an arcane bond as usual, but they had to ritualistically sacrifice it to the infernal/abyssal planes by locking it inside a bronze urn and chanting while cooking it over a hot fire for an hour. In return, they received an extremely loyal Imp. What do you think about that arrangement?
    You're turning the whole concept of the Abyss on its head: You offer us a small gift, and get a big gift in return. Totally backwards! And I know what I'm talking about: I'm from there, remember?

Seriously: I see no reason not to use the exact same definition as the Diabolist's, "The imp is loyal to the diabolist (though ultimately loyal to Hell)."

If the above were presented as an Archetype instead, would you see it being more suitable? Even throwing in a small sweetener like "Planar Knowledge +3 to Knowledge (The Planes)"?
    Glad you like the idea. From a balance perspective, this will all depend on what powers you're replacing. Are you prepared to sacrifice the arcane school? That means the bonus spells, so it's a real cost. I suggest you look at existing archetypes that do remove the school (arcane bomber, exploiter wizard, spirit whisperer, spell sage). This may give you a sense of the type of power that's considered a fair exchange for arcane school. I don't know if these archetypes are any good, though (arcane bomber looks utterly lame to me, I didn't have time to really look at the others).

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Re: [PF] Conjuration Sub-School: Demonologist

About Hellfire as defined in BotD... On second thought, I think while very powerful, you have a real problem here: It's over-specialized vs Good enemies, and leaves you with a weakness against Evil enemies. That's appropriate for a class that's mostly used for NPCs, but I recommend you think about it a bit more, before you decide you want this as a PC.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

On my phone at the moment so won't go in depth.

- Hellfire; Aye, the BotD is the desired version. It can get written into its descriptor, and its uses capped at constitution modifier (so drop the +3), and move it to a lvl 1 ability. My little tricks, he says .

You're right about it being potentially very good if up against the right enemy (someone good), or ignored if not (someone evil). I personally as a player don't have a problem with that, as the sub-school offers a few other goodies even if i don't get to hellzap that many enemies.

- Saving throw buff: yeah you're probably right. A +5 to saves across the board by level 17 might be a bit much. Best to cut it.

- Imp loyalty: bah, fine . I'll take that part out and just leave it under normal rules.

So, Hellfire type settled (BotD) and it's strength is circumstantially very good or useless, imp has same loyalty as diabolist (so ultimately to hell), and share pain stays same (no save boost).

Now as to whether it stays a subschool or archetype...I really don't see the 4 abilities it has as being worth a subschool of abilities + bonus spells per day theyd normally get. If it were a subschool, hellfire would be the sacrifice to make it 3 anilities. But, given how circumstantial it is, combined with missing out on an arcane bond for seven levels and getting one that isnt 100% loyal to you once you do, can you see the argument for it staying?

7. - Top - End - #7

Now as to whether it stays a subschool or archetype...I really don't see the 4 abilities it has as being worth a subschool of abilities + bonus spells per day theyd normally get. If it were a subschool, hellfire would be the sacrifice to make it 3 anilities. But, given how circumstantial it is, combined with missing out on an arcane bond for seven levels and getting one that isnt 100% loyal to you once you do, can you see the argument for it staying?
    I tend to agree, a whole arcane school lost to this is a bit much.

Re. imp: I guess it's a fair deal. It's the exact same deal you get with Improved Familiar, except you don't have a normal familiar at low levels. So you're getting the equivalent of a feat from level 7, at the cost of arcane bond at low levels. Not a big deal overall.

Re. Hellfire: Well, if you like it this much... With a reasonable number of uses per day, I guess it's not a big problem.

Re. Slavery: It's fine but I suggest you write the effect down explicitly. I realized that Share Pain is 3rd party (and not a spell btw), it would be better to avoid an external reference. That's a nitpick, yes.

Re. Life Conduit: It's good, not crazy good. I just am not comfortable with the flavor.

Overall: 4 abilities rather than 3 but then you ditch arcane bond. It's not perfectly balanced, because of the oddities mentioned earlier, but there's nothing crazy there. Way easier to swallow than the warlock/voidlock, who always had a crazy piece or two, or was it ten... So I suppose it's all right.

I'm not enthusiastic about it, though, and here's why: I don't find it very attractive flavor-wise. The added value, relative to the Diabolist, isn't really there. Sure, Diabolist is a whole PrC. This guy here feels like Diabolist-lite - lighter on the stomach, but a bit on the bland side in comparison.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I guess that goes with the territory of being a sub-school - it won't be as "fleshed out", so to speak, flavor wise as something like a full-blown PcR. All I get is a sentence or two of fluff description at the front and a few abilities, so I guess flavor is supposed to be lite. The rest is up to the player.

But...if I now edit those changes in...dare this be the creation of a class we both agree on? Could it have finally happened?
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2016-01-19 at 11:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And I've edited.

10. - Top - End - #10

Minor nitpick 1: "This spell lasts for as long as the creature remains in service to the demonologist." This isn't a spell, so I would use the words "this effect lasts..."

Minor nitpick 2: I'd say that Slavery replaces Dimensional Steps, Fire and Blood replaces Acid Darts, Life Conduit replaces Summoner's Charm, and Imp Familiar replaces Arcane Bond. This is just to make the description flow more nicely.

Bigger nitpick: Slavery effectively doubles your hit points as long as you have a summoned creature. Through a number of methods, this could well mean, at all times. That's a bit much. I recommend a limitation of 1 minute per level per day, taken in 1-minute minimum increments, and a swift action to activate or dismiss. This will cover most of your active combat situations, without getting over the top.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2016-01-20 at 08:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And edited.

12. - Top - End - #12

So, I can't say I love it, but I guess I would accept it in a game, assuming I were to allow homebrew in the first place.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I Dear Gwyn, have we finally...agreed on something?

I think snowflakes in hell have a pretty good chance right about now!

14. - Top - End - #14

I Dear Gwyn, have we finally...agreed on something?

I think snowflakes in hell have a pretty good chance right about now!
    My friend, I can proudly announce that yes, we have an agreement. But that is a tiny, isolated snowflake. You aren't going to ski on that anytime soon. Still, it's a step.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Making a note here: huge success.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe a silly question, but why does a demonologist gain an imp as a familiar and channel hellfire? Imps are devils, and hell is the abode of devils. This doesn't have a lot to do with demons, who are as close to the antithesis of devils as you can come within the evil outsider spectrum. I would suggest reframing the subschool into something to do with fiends in general, or change the name into something devil-related.

Just a quick observation.

17. - Top - End - #17

This is actually a good point. I focused on the mechanics, but I should have noticed that issue.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Gears View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why does a demonologist gain an imp as a familiar and channel hellfire? Imps are devils, and hell is the abode of devils. This doesn't have a lot to do with demons, who are as close to the antithesis of devils as you can come within the evil outsider spectrum. I would suggest reframing the subschool into something to do with fiends in general, or change the name into something devil-related.

OR give a quasit familiar and change hellfire into some form of abyssal -energy type here-
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Gears View Post

Mostly because "demonologist" rolls off the tongue easier and sounds cooler than "devilologist" lol.