New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Unsounded II: Two Wrights Can Mend A Wrong

Unsounded
    ʌnˈsaʊndɪd/

• not uttered, pronounced, or made to sound.
    • unfathomed or unexplored.

In this case it's a comic by Ashley Cope. There is also a Wiki and Tumblr.

This is the second installment of adventures of our infamous duo:
    • Sette - a girl with tail and some unique abilities, main of them ability to nick things and smell magic (although she wish she couldn't smell it, since according to her it smells like rotten farts)
    • Duane (aka Dwayne) - an attack zombie galit undead spellcaster with unique ability to cast spells without having to vocalize them, who serves as Sette bodyguard and moral guardian

This duo has been through a lot and has accumulated a bunch of interesting characters, some friendly, some not friendly at all:
    • Matthis Quigley (aka Quigley) - A spellwright Plat, of dubious moral characters that will do nearly anything for a coin. He may look young, but he's got ten years tops.
    • Mathew Quigley - Mathis son, a blind boy that uses his Chitz doll to see.
    • Jivi - A Crescian boy of indeterminate origin, he was once a slave to the Red Berry Boys, a group of villains kidnapping children for a really vile experiment.
    • Elka - Crescian soldier that along with Toma went on a hunt for Red Berry Boys. Currently a fugitive from the law.
    • Toma- Crescian soldier that went on a hunt for Red Berry Boys. Currently incapacitated, but a fugitive from the law.
    • Rahm - Crescian Blacktongue spellwright, with dreams of Pymary for independent flight. He has invisible legs.
    • Deliceu - A Blacktongue that hired Red Berry Boys, for the purpose of creating a really vile First Silver weapon/monster, that feeds on pain.
    • Winalils - Aldish Black tongue that wants to HEAL THE WORLD! He pursues those goal by subcontracting as an assassin.
    • Hetr - Crescian soldier that works for Bell. He's a real hater. Has pretty cool mustache though.
    • Bell - Crescian General Bell. A really creepy general.

Terms:
    • Galit - The damned, the cursed. Usually refers to undead slaves as they are cursed to walk the earth after their death. Duane considers himself galit.
    • Spellwright - Essentially a mage.
    • Plat - Caste in Alderode. Known for their short lifespans (30years) and high magic potential. They are essentially, reverse elfs. Beautiful, magic powered, but have 30 years tops.
    • Blacktongue - A mage that doesn't believe in rules. They get a tattoo on the tongue and their balls chopped off, when they join. They are related to lady titty bird.
    • Pymary - Magic, usually refers to magic that resides inside artifacts. Pymaric artifacts are made using memories and feelings and burning them into First Materials, where Khert can't garbage collect them.
    • First _____ (e.g. First Silver) - one of the First material. The First materials are special. First Materials belong to a corresponding Senet Beasts (e.g. First Silk is made from First Spiders). First materials are used for pymaric proof weapons, since you can't steal their aspects, or alternatively for burning magic into them, where it is safe.
    • Crescian - State of Gefendur faith, that believes in EXTREME equality. It eschews money and even using too many letters in names. All Crescian names have four letters.
    • Gefendur - A religion that believes in four gods that created the world. They practice canibalism of twin children.
    • Alderode - State that has dual Gefendur/Ssaelit faith. They frown on cannibalism but have a caste system based on the color of your hair and skin. Also women can only choose a couple of professions.
    • Ssaelit - A belief in singular mortal man Ssael that ascended, killed the Gods and became a God in their stead.
    • Khert - Essentially, the rules that govern laws of realities. Also processes your memory and feelings when you die. It also attempts to catch any errant ghost.
    • Senet Beast - Bunch of monster hipsters. They had their Khert, before it was cool, which stops some regular Khert functions like rotting or general degradation. They are effectively immortals, unless killed. Parts of their bodies are what people call First materials.
    • Ghost - Basically lost memories of dead people. When you die, Khert tries to free your soul and garbage collect your thoughts/emotions/memories. In Khert same kind of memories merge into entities e.g. Smoke Eels (painful memories) and Squishes (happy memories). These memories can escape from Khert in real world. However, Khert collects them after a while. First Materials due to their "Hipster Khert" can provide safe haven for Ghosts. Artificiers can extract memories of the dead for specific commands and turn your memories into tiny slaves and burn them into the First material. So your childhood memories of pushing a lever can be used FOREVER.

Unsounded, quite possibly the (2nd) best webcomic I have seen.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-08-11 at 05:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unsounded II: Two Wrights Can Mend A Wrong

Replying from last thread.

A witch?
    Nono.. or well.. you also burn those.. but i meant a ******.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Replying from last thread.

Nono.. or well.. you also burn those.. but i meant a ******.
    You mean smoke, right? A *** is a slang for cigarette.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-07-22 at 10:55 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Regarding the previous page:
    Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I agree with Ashley, I like the way the group dynamic is forming. It's not what I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    Quigley and Sette are gonna be best friends!
    The first panel today suggests that there is still a ways to go. (Look back to see what Quigley means.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

@eschmenk: They remind me of Avengers squabbling. Although with more insulting undertones
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-07-22 at 12:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You mean smoke, right? A *** is a slang for cigarette.
    Yeah.. and it has also at one point meant a bundle of wood for the fireplace.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just what is Iori planning to do with the pymaric hover-board?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Just what is Iori planning to do with the pymaric hover-board?
    Fly through the water? I assume Uaid just walks through the barrier, so maybe she expects to fly through it? It definitely looks like she is getting on it.

I'm also wondering what Rahm was doing. Was he hoping to lure Quigley away from his home so Quigley could be captured away from Duane? Maybe he was trying to keep the cops from realizing that he had been sheltering Quigley all along? Unfortunately, I doubt that he was honest with Mattey.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-25 at 12:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a nitpick, I don't think that the description of First Materials in the OP is entirely accurate, since it implies that they are un-pymarible, which isn't true because enchanting First Materials is a major (really, the most important part) of crafting pymarics.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Just a nitpick, I don't think that the description of First Materials in the OP is entirely accurate, since it implies that they are un-pymarible, which isn't true because enchanting First Materials is a major (really, the most important part) of crafting pymarics.
    It does have anti magic property, as it disrupts regular khert. Thing is, spirits or aspects can be isolated in it and be safe from regular khert recollection methods.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It does have anti magic property, as it disrupts regular khert. Thing is, spirits or aspects can be isolated in it and be safe from regular khert recollection methods.
    Yes, but I had the same sort of reaction when I read it. I would suggest adding something about pymarics being made from First materials. Maybe something like, "However, with the right equipment, pymary can be burned into first materials."
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-25 at 06:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Jivi really is one of the most decent and noble people in this comic, along with Iori.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Jivi really is one of the most decent and noble people in this comic, along with Iori.
    Ay. Too bad I am getting death flags from Iori.

Duane is also ok, but more bigoted.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rahm!!! >:(
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone else think Murkoph is Ssael? He has facial scars that are identical to the face paint of Ssaelit priests which I assume they wear in imitation of Ssael who was killed by lions. Those long marks on his chest might also be claw marks. He lives in the khert but is not eaten by it (just like Ssael). On the other hand he does not sound very aldish, though his looks could pass for aldish.
    Last edited by 1dominator; 2016-08-04 at 12:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a common theory. His facial scars clearly have some significance.

However, he referred to Ssael as another person when mocking Duane at one point, so if he's Ssael, something weird is going on. (eg. the legends of Ssael could be based on him without his knowledge.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think he is Ssael, but the similarity of his facial scars to those Ssael is depicted with means they're connected somehow. Hard to speculate how, at this point.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Did they think I'd sleep 'till God got home?!" That makes it sound as if the god Ssael might have been created by removing and purifying his essence, and Murkoph is everything that was left behind.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought I had seen an actual picture of Ssael himself with the face markings: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsound.../ch10_160.html
    Conservation of detail implies that they correspond to Ssaels death wounds (at least according to the Ssaelit canon).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1dominator View Post
    I thought I had seen an actual picture of Ssael himself with the face markings: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsound.../ch10_160.html
    Conservation of detail implies that they correspond to Ssaels death wounds (at least according to the Ssaelit canon).
    Ssael was marked by someone. Lions don't leave orderly patterns on someone. I suspect Murkoph is maybe Ssael's contemporary to same extent Jesus and Gesmus were.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ssael was marked by someone. Lions don't leave orderly patterns on someone. I suspect Murkoph is maybe Ssael's contemporary to same extent Jesus and Gesmus were.
    Claw marks can definitely produce shapes made of overlapping parallel lines just like Ssael's facial markings. One horizontal swipe, one vertical swipe could produce that kind of cross hatching pattern. By the general principles of conservation of detail and occam's razor I would think it is most reasonable to assume that they are meant to represent the scars he received during his execution. Similarly to how images of Christian martyrs are often drawn in the process of, or with the wounds/injuries received during their martyring. Since their suffering and by extension their wounds are part of their holiness.

Or it could just be some random markings which are there for some yet to be revealed reason, who knows.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The lines Duane glamoured onto his face, and those on the image of Ssael we saw while he was telling Sette about him, look stylized to me. But that wouldn't explain why those on Murkoph's face look the same. Unless he was purposefully scarred in a way that resembled Ssael.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

But that wouldn't explain why those on Murkoph's face look the same. Unless he was purposefully scarred in a way that resembled Ssael.
    Unless those were marks given to people before sacrificial ritual. Murk is from Sharteshane, but Ssael is Tainish. Given those limits, I doubt they are the same person. Twins or expunged evil part - yes. Same person - no.

Ashley said we will learn more about Murkoph.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Like, "where are his pants?"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be very surprised if we got to the end of the story without learning anything about him. I don't think he's the same person either. And what I meant was that the scars don't look "real". They look like an artistic representation of scars. So Murkoph's scars might have been purposefully made to resemble Ssaelit iconography.
    Last edited by Morty; 2016-08-07 at 05:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Like, "where are his pants?"
    On his legs. Well, they weren't his, but he's wearing them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Patron spoiler
    Show
    Duane's new design is literally jaw dropping.

New comic. (Am I the only one checking this comic )

Spoiler
    Show
    Duane san must stay on target. Also, sure thing Quigs, let's not save or help people involved with Red Berry boyz.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic. (Am I the only one checking this comic )

Spoiler
    Show
    Duane san must stay on target. Also, sure thing Quigs, let's not save or help people involved with Red Berry boyz.
    Well, you can't blame him for having a grudge.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Well, you can't blame him for having a grudge.
    Oh, please that's ancient history by now It was like three days ago in comic time.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh, please that's ancient history by now It was like three days ago in comic time.
    ...and they still didn't pay him, either.