New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Relic Cohort (feat and intelligent magic item class)

Relic Cohort [General] (PC feat)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You ally with an intelligent magic item you have crafted, looted, inherited, or otherwise discovered on your adventures.

Prerequisites
    Alignment within one step of the selected relic, Cha 12.

Benefits
    You gain the services of a relic - an intelligent magic item with levels in the relic class. The relic is usually a weapon of your choice but can be virtually any kind of item (e.g. a mirror, grimoire, carpet, broom, etc).

The relic's character level is always equal to your own, and it may only take levels in the relic class. You allocate the relic's feats, skill points, ability points, and all other options from levelling-up as you see fit.

Damaged (but not destroyed) relics can be repaired as though they were standard magic items. If a relic is destroyed but the pieces are at hand, it can be reforged in a 24-hour ritual requiring limited wish and the appropriate item creation feat. Otherwise, it cannot be restored by any means short of wish or miracle. You do not gain a new relic to replace one you have lost.

Special
    If your alignment diverges from the relic's by more than one step (e.g. two steps on one axis or at least one step on both axes), you may trigger personality conflicts with the item. Even if you regularly win these conflicts, the item may eventually attempt to desert or even kill you.

You can take this feat more than once, at the DM's discretion. However, this always results in personality conflicts with each relic (even relics of identical alignment believe in doing things one particular way and become jealous of their master's attention).

Relic (cohort race)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma. Relics are ambitious and driven. Relics have Constitution scores.

Size: Relics are the size of a nonmagical item of their type.

Type: Relics are constructs with the magic item subtype, and any alignment subtypes matching their alignment (chaotic, evil, good, lawful).

Spoiler: Construct/Magic Item Benefits
    Show

Construct Vision (Ex): A relic has darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.

Construct Immunities (Ex): Constructs are immune to critical hits, death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), necromancy effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, stun, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless). Constructs are not subject to nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. Constructs are not at risk of death from massive damage.

Magic Item (Ex): A construct with this subtype gains the benefits of being a magic item, amongst others. It always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to it, even if it is inanimate. A magic item construct has Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves. Finally, it regains hit points naturally each day as though it were a living creature.

Speed (Su): Relics have a fly speed of 30 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Ego (Ex): A relic has an ego score. Unlike standard ego scores, this ego score is simply equal to 10 + 1/2 the relic's level + the relic's Charisma modifier.

Hardness (Ex): A relic has hardness equal to 10 + its character level.

Inanimate (Ex): A relic cannot move or make physical attacks under its own power. It cannot use its fly speed and its Strength and Dexterity scores are treated as nonabilities. Many actions (including most Strength- or Dexterity-based skill checks) are impossible for an inanimate relic.

Light (Su): A relic can shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius, caster level = character level) at will.

Masterwork (Ex): A relic is always a masterwork item of the appropriate type.

Personality (Ex): A relic receives Alertness, Deceitful, Diligent, Investigator, Iron Will, Magical Aptitude, Negotiator, Persuasive, or Skill Focus as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Relics begin play speaking Common. Relics with high Intelligence scores can learn any other language, except secret or physical languages such as druidic or drow sign language.

Favoured Class: Relic.

Level Adjustment: +0

Relic Class
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race
    Relic.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
    The relic's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (act, comedy, dance, oratory, sing) (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier

Relic
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
    1st
    +1
    +2
    +2
    +2
    Enhancement Bonus (+0), Wielded
    2nd
    +2
    +3
    +3
    +3
    Powers (1st)
    3rd
    +3
    +3
    +3
    +3
    4th
    +4
    +4
    +4
    +4
    Enhancement Bonus (+1), Powers (2nd)
    5th
    +5
    +4
    +4
    +4
    Special Abilities (+1)
    6th
    +6
    +5
    +5
    +5
    Powers (3rd)
    7th
    +7
    +5
    +5
    +5
    8th
    +8
    +6
    +6
    +6
    Enhancement Bonus (+2), Powers (4th), Power Mastery
    9th
    +9
    +6
    +6
    +6
    10th
    +10
    +7
    +7
    +7
    Powers (5th), Special Abilities (+2),
    11th
    +11
    +7
    +7
    +7
    Animate
    12th
    +12
    +8
    +8
    +8
    Enhancement Bonus (+3), Powers (6th)
    13th
    +13
    +8
    +8
    +8
    14th
    +14
    +9
    +9
    +9
    Improved Power Mastery, Powers (7th)
    15th
    +15
    +9
    +9
    +9
    Special Abilities (+3)
    16th
    +16
    +10
    +10
    +10
    Enhancement Bonus (+4), Powers (8th)
    17th
    +17
    +10
    +10
    +10
    18th
    +18
    +11
    +11
    +11
    Powers (9th)
    19th
    +19
    +11
    +11
    +11
    20th
    +20
    +12
    +12
    +12
    Enhancement Bonus (+5), Special Abilities (+4), True Power Mastery

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the draconian.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies
    Weapon and shield relics are proficient with themselves (when attacking under their own power) but with no other weapons or armour.

Armour and clothing relics are proficient with themselves (for the purpose of armour check penalties when animate) but with no other weapons or armour.

All other relics are not proficient with themselves (i.e. they treat themselves as improvised weapons and take a -4 penalty on attack rolls) unless they select the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, nor are they proficient with any weapons or armour.

Enhancement Bonus (Su)
    At first level, a relic gains an enhancement bonus of +0 (which does not stack with its masterwork bonus). This enhancement bonus applies to attacks and damage rolls made with the relic, as well as to its armour class (and therefore its wielder's Armour Class, if the relic is a suit of clothing or armour). The relic is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, as well as a weapon of whatever alignment matches its alignment subtypes.

At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, the enhancement bonus of the relic increases by +1.

Wielded (Su)
    A relic is an inanimate object most of the time (see the Inanimate special quality). However, when wielded by its master (or any creature it chooses to aid), it may substitute its Dexterity score, Strength score, and base attack bonus for its wielder's for a total of one round per relic level per day. These rounds need not be consecutive. This ability may grant its wielder multiple attacks. The wielder does not gain the relic's proficiencies, however.

Powers (Sp/Psi)
    Beginning at 2nd level, a relic has the power to use certain spell-like or psi-like abilities (save DC = 10 + spell/psionic power level + relic's Charisma modifier, caster/manifester level = relic's character level). A relic cannot use abilities duplicating spells or psionic powers with XP costs or expensive material components, but it may substitute itself as a focus component of any cost.

To use a power, a relic must be in physical contact with its wielder, and the wielder must spend a full-round action (in addition to the relic's standard action).

At first level, a relic chooses one of the following archetypes to determine the type of powers it can use. If a spell appears on multiple lists, treat it as the sorcerer/wizard, cleric, druid, bard, paladin, or ranger version, in that order. If a power appears on multiple lists, treat it as the psion, psionic discipline, or psychic warrior version, in that order.

Arcane: The relic can use spell-like abilities mimicking spells from the bard and sorcerer/wizard spell lists.

Divine: The relic can learn spell-like abilities mimicking spells from the cleric spell list and the domains (e.g. Evil, Good, etc.) best matching its alignment, if any. The relic can also learn spell-like abilities mimicking spells from the "crusader" (e.g. paladin, blackguard, paladin of freedom, etc.) spell list best matching its alignment, if any.

Nature: The relic can learn spell-like abilities mimicking spells from the druid and ranger spell lists. A relic with this archetype automatically learns Druidic but obeys druid restrictions on using and teaching the language.

Psionic: The relic can learn psi-like abilities from the psion/wilder and psychic warrior lists, and from any psionic discipline. A relic with this archetype gains the psionic subtype.

At 2nd level, a relic may use a 1st-level ability once per day. At 4th level and every even-numbered level thereafter, it gains an ability of the next-highest level useable once per day (e.g. a 2nd-level ability at 4th level, a 3rd-level ability at 6th level, etc.) and may reallocate all prior abilities.

Special Abilities (Su)
    Beginning at 5th level, a relic gains special abilities as a magic weapon or magic suit of armour (e.g. the flaming or blinding special abilities). The relic may gain any special ability worth a +1 enhancement bonus. At 10th level and every 5 levels thereafter, the relic may reassign its special abilities and increases the total bonuses' worth of special abilities it may have by +1.

For the purpose of this ability, certain armour special abilites are worth an enhancement bonus, as given below:

Bonus Property
    +1 glamered, light fortification, slick, shadow, silent moves
    +2 improved slick, improved shadow, improved silent moves, acid/cold/electricity/fire/sonic resistance
    +3 greater slick, greater shadow, greater silent moves, improved acid/cold/electricity/fire/sonic resistance
    +4 etherealness, undead controlling
    +5 greater acid/cold/electricity/fire/sonic resistance

A relic with the dancing special ability does not dance normally. Instead, it suppresses its Inanimate special quality for the duration of the dance, and while dancing may use its powers without needing to be in contact with its master (or for its master to spend a full-round action).

Power Mastery (Ex)
    At 8th level, a relic may use it's 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level powers three times per day.

Animate (Su)
    At 11th level, a relic may suppress its Inanimate special quality for a total of one round per level per day. These rounds need not be consecutive.

Improved Power Mastery (Ex)
    At 14th level, a relic may use it's 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level powers at will, and may use it's 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-level powers three times per day.

Greater Power Mastery (Ex)
    At 20th level, a relic may use it's 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-level powers at will, and may use its 7th-, 8th-, and 9th-level powers three times per day.

Relic Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Empathic Relic
    You can communicate your desires and thoughts to creatures that touch you.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 1st.

Benefits
    You gain the empathic link special quality with your master, as between a wizard and her familiar. You may also communicate telepathically with any creature that touches you.

Telepathic Relic
    You can communicate with subtlety.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 6th.

Benefits
    You gain the telepathy special quality, out to a range of 10 feet per relic level.

Extended Animation
    You can maintain animation for longer.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 1st.

Benefits
    You may use your Wielded and Animate ability for 2 rounds per relic level per day each. If you have the dancing special ability, your dance lasts for 8 rounds instead of 4 (though it may still only be used once every 4 rounds).

Greater Extended Animation
    You are truly independent, at long last.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 18th, Extended Animation.

Benefits
    You may use your Animate ability at will and without limit.

Extra Special Abilities
    Your enchantments are growing with experience.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 6th.

Benefit
    The total value of your Special Abilities bonus increases by +1. Reallocate your special abilities when you take this feat.

Special
    You may select this feat more than once. Its effects stack.

Rapid Powers
    Your wielder can call upon your powers more easily.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 3rd.

Benefit
    When using one of your powers, your wielder need only spend a standard action.

Reforged
    You have been remade from a new material.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 3rd.

Benefit
    Choose a special material (adamantine, alchemical silver, cold iron, darkwood, dragonhide, or mithral). You are now made from that material (even if you are not the appropriate item type, e.g. a quarterstaff made from adamantine).

Special
    You may select this feat more than once, choosing a different special material each time. You count as being made from all chosen special materials (or whichever material is most beneficial at the time).

Wondrous Relic
    You are a magic carpet, crystal ball, or some other relic that disdains combat.

Prerequisites
    Relic level 5th, non-weapon, non-armour relic.

Benefits
    You do not gain magic weapon or magic armour abilities from your Special Abilities class feature. Instead, you may duplicate the properties of any rings, rods, and/or wondrous items with total cost up to your character level squared x 500 gp (e.g. 50,000 gp for a 10th-level relic). You may never use this feat to duplicate the properties of a charged or consumable magic item, though you may duplicate the powers of a magic item with limited uses per day.

Other Recommended Feats
    Boost Construct -for psionic relics with the astral construct power.

Empower Spell-Like Ability, Maximise Spell-Like Ability, etc.

Improved Unarmed Strike - nonweapon relics don't treat themselves as improvised weapons any more

Improved Natural Attack - relic increases its damage die one step (only when wielding itself)

Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, etc. for itself

To Do
    Vulnerability to dispel magic, antimagic field, etc.?

Item can be enhanced as normal via item creation feats?

Powers are too strong -shift them into being a feat chain?

Revamp languages/empathy/telepathy into feat chain or class features, same for senses?

Relic doesn't roll for ability scores, instead gets set progression as a familiar/animal companion/etc?

elite companion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Relic Cohort (feat and intelligent magic item class)

So... what exactly does this give that other feats don't? Not to be offensive but it seems (from a high level viewpoint) to be a complex version of the Item Familiar (UA), with a smattering of Ancestral Relic (BoED)...

EditL It has some nice things in it, but once again I feel the above feats do most of the work... although combining them all may be very interesting...
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-13 at 08:06 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    So... what exactly does this give that other feats don't? Not to be offensive but it seems (from a high level viewpoint) to be a complex version of the Item Familiar (UA), with a smattering of Ancestral Relic (BoED)...

EditL It has some nice things in it, but once again I feel the above feats do most of the work... although combining them all may be very interesting...
    I was inspired by your recent comment about Ancestral Relic, actually - and I admit I forgot about Item Familiars entirely! It's intended as a limited replacement of Leadership, specifically a cohort. Plus it can make an evil artifact as the main villain of a campaign too - e.g. the One Ring, a Dragon Orb, a Magic Mirror, etc. :D

It's probably too powerful though. Even with the Wielded limitations, and even if I make the SLA's into a feat chain, you're still getting a bunch of skill ranks for just one feat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    I was inspired by your recent comment about Ancestral Relic, actually - and I admit I forgot about Item Familiars entirely! It's intended as a limited replacement of Leadership, specifically a cohort. Plus it can make an evil artifact as the main villain of a campaign too - e.g. the One Ring, a Dragon Orb, a Magic Mirror, etc. :D

It's probably too powerful though. Even with the Wielded limitations, and even if I make the SLA's into a feat chain, you're still getting a bunch of skill ranks for just one feat.
    My earlier comment was kind of disparaging, which I did not mean in the least, it is still wonderful in my opinion, and you can get skill points with intelligent items... And I'm glad to inspire something, even if I don;t remember the comment

I'm worried about wielded for caster types since you get to substitute its BAB... basically gives you full BAB with your chosen weapon.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    My earlier comment was kind of disparaging, which I did not mean in the least, it is still wonderful in my opinion, and you can get skill points with intelligent items... And I'm glad to inspire something, even if I don;t remember the comment

I'm worried about wielded for caster types since you get to substitute its BAB... basically gives you full BAB with your chosen weapon.
    Hey no worries, I didn't think it was disparaging in the least! :)

Yeah, hence the limit on rounds/level. Eventually it lasts long enough that you could use it for a full encounter, but you still need to invest in being able to survive melee as a squishy wizard... however, I'm thinking of shifting Wielded and Animate into a feat chain as well so you don't automatically get them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hey no worries, I didn't think it was disparaging in the least! :)
    alright, just thought it was sorta offish
    Yeah, hence the limit on rounds/level. Eventually it lasts long enough that you could use it for a full encounter, but you still need to invest in being able to survive melee as a squishy wizard... however, I'm thinking of shifting Wielded and Animate into a feat chain as well so you don't automatically get them.
    Hmm, that may be well, although rogues and 3/4 classes get shafted in the process... Stupid casters... Maybe jey it off of character level as well as BAB? Maybe the BAB bonus is capped at 5 more then your own? Never comes up for full, boosts 3/4 to full, and boosts 1/2 to 3/4... or something like those.

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I like the wielder's BAB +5 cap, makes sense. I'll digest a bit more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I like the wielder's BAB +5 cap, makes sense. I'll digest a bit more.
    Meh, clerics still get the benefits of them, but whenever I finish my Lord Smith rework (turning it into a full class with 7th level casting... hardest part is composing spell list honestly... why my PrC's always advance instead of gaining spells ) I'll be hitting them with the nerfbat ... Hmm... Maybe something keying off their combat feats such as weapon specialization eta eta as well as their BAB... they are weak feats, worst I can see is war domain clerics... and if anything else wants to sink feats to get the full benefits it means they are losing some feats they could use for casting...

Extended Signature