New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    So hey, If someone has played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons 3.x, but absolutely no 5e, what are some good 5e books, sets, or kits to get (beyond the core rulebooks)?

Starter kits, splatbooks, campaign settings, adventures, you name it. What are the best books to get started with in each category, and what are the best books that you wouldn't necessarily recommend starting with but would recommend looking forward to extending the experience?
    Oops, forgot to subscribe to the thread, so I didn't know anyone had replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    snip
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    snip
    Thanks!

No love for Eberron in 5e?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

I've just had the realization that all of my power fantasies have a logical end result of "can bend reality" or "at best only superficially resembles a human but honestly can't be categorized taxonomically or cladistically and probably gives you a headache if you think about it too hard."

Often both.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!

Well if you want official one, you get Eberron Rising from the Last war.

But if you also want the 5e book written by Keith Baker himself and is honestly the best Eberron thing I've ever read? then get Exploring Eberron. its third party though, and kind of assumes you have Rising From The last War
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2020-12-21 at 03:36 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well if you want official one, you get Eberron Rising from the Last war.

But if you also want the 5e book written by Keith Baker himself and is honestly the best Eberron thing I've ever read? then get Exploring Eberron. its third party though, and kind of assumes you have Rising From The last War
    This is the same impression I'm getting. Eberron: Rising from the Last War is the campaign setting, for which Keith Baker was one of the lead designers. Exploring Eberron is an unofficial extension to that campaign setting (though written by the setting creator and one of the lead designers), and requires the base official book. It looks pretty good, though!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #35

The Way of the Living Weapon Monk from Exploring Ebberon is probably my favorite subclass.

A level 20 monk being able to, for example, punch a creature that resists non-piercing, non-Adamantine weapon damage and not only deal 1d12+1d6+dex damage, have that punch do piercing damage, have that punch count as adamantine, and then have the creature have to make a saving throw were at bare minimum they're taking another 1d6 of that damage and on a fail that takes 2d6 and flies back 15 feet seems to be the most "Monk" thing to me.

If I ever get to use my "Conan or Sonja style Pulp fantasy hero*" concept I'm probably going with Way of the Living Weapon Monk to represent their almost inhuman strength.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Back the truck up Anonymouswizard - girlfriend as in sweetheart?

Oh please dish, tales of young love are irresistible, first: How serious is it?
    Really quite serious,as far as 'less than a year' goes.

I had it on good authority (in 1980) "If you want to get the girls you have to feather your hair" - totally worked!

Spiky medium length hair (on a boy or girl) gets you older men taking public transportation "hitting on you" instead as you and a girl who has almost the same hair ride the bus or wait for the train.
    Sadly the shoulder length curls put a difficulty in either of these being a thing.

except that (IIRC) you (me back then) won't feel as intensely "in-love" with your second girlfriend as you did with your first
    Nah, my advice is that you start dating three people. Lots of love there, and even more cuddles!

Although we haven't managed to all get together for one group snuggle yet.

Thanks!

Ity's the one setting book I own. And an unofficial expansion by the dude in charge sounds amazing!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #37

I'd also recommend Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, which is just an excellent guide in general but also has Many Good Ideas in it, as well as more fun subclasses.

Honestly, as someone who has been DMing and playing in 5e for a couple months, I can say straight up that honestly, every book is actually pretty good.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'd also recommend Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, which is just an excellent guide in general but also has Many Good Ideas in it, as well as more fun subclasses.

Honestly, as someone who has been DMing and playing in 5e for a couple of months, I can say straight up that honestly, every book is actually pretty good.
    I like Tasha's solely becuase the "customize your racial bonus" rules make it much easier to do my "Conan or Sonia" concept.

I like using female characters, children, or both when I roleplay.

Recreating Bobby from the 80s Cartoon isn't gonna fly at most tables, so...

But a grown woman who walks around in a revealing outfit becuase she has no need for armor and wants to show off her muscles as a visual shorthand for being a larger than life pulp-fantasy hero type thus requires careful justification less you be accused of needlessly sexualizing the character.

I mean, I'm sure that everyone here is familiar with the stereotype of the creepy who insists on playing lesbian stripper elves.

With the race customization rules, I can just take say, a sea elf who grew up fully amphibious around a tropical island, and then shunt her con bonus into wisdom if I need to. It's a lot easier to justify a character whose default outfit is essentially "bikini+modestry skirt" if that... Actually makes sense from the kind of culture they'd be from, and Tasha's just lets me find a race likely to have that kind of culture and change things around as needed to make it play with the class.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-12-21 at 10:36 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39

The best min-maxing is when you do it for entirely flavour reasons.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, as someone who has been DMing and playing in 5e for a couple months, I can say straight up that honestly, every book is actually pretty good.
    I love Tasha's, except for about the first two pages. To be fair my main concern is that they basically ignore the very really balance concerns for about a page's worth of material and I'd really wish they'd devoted a bit of discussion to it, but that one section still annoys me.

It does, however, have worthwile psionic options, including three subclasses and two feats, two cool new warlock patrons, and lots of cool musings. I think my main problem with it is that nothing is developed quite as much as it should be, it feels like they had to cut out an extra half a book. It makes me wish for a book delving into the psionic, eldritch, and gribbly aspects of 5e, whether that's character options, a new setting, or even an adventure module (Against the Aboleths).

My next character is totally a human Psi Warrior with two dao (scimitars) and the Telekinetic, Telepathic, and Alert (ESP) feats by level 6. My 18 INT Fighter will psychic the **** out of whatever setting they end up in. Probably grab that Feat that gives Expertise in a skill as well, just so if the game gets far enough I can start backflipping over enemies.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #41

Thanks again everyone! Some really useful information in there.

Really good to know. There were some absolute doozies in 3.x.

I love Tasha's, except for about the first two pages. To be fair my main concern is that they basically ignore the very really balance concerns for about a page's worth of material and I'd really wish they'd devoted a bit of discussion to it, but that one section still annoys me.
    Do you remember the name of the section? Or can you explain what it's about (without copying more than a small segment verbatim at most)?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Do you remember the name of the section? Or can you explain what it's about (without copying more than a small segment verbatim at most)?
    Customising your origin. My issue is that the designers had a clear goal with this, but it's the laziest way they could have done it.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Thank you!

Also, I forgot to include this in my last post.

Ity's the one setting book I own. And an unofficial expansion by the dude in charge sounds amazing!
    Exploring Eberron is only available from DMs Guild, though you can get it in both physical and digital (PDF). Pro-tip: If you're getting the physical, you should absolutely get the digital (PDF) version thrown in for just $5 more. It's searchable, sometimes more handy/portable, and you can start reading right away.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I meant I never saw Die Hard before. Sorry my mistake on my error. But I've heard of it before. Yes, Die Hard is a very unconventional Christmas movie even though it's a summer blockbuster.
    Die Hard takes place during Christmas, so I think it qualifies. Plus it includes running around thwarting Alan Rickman while wearing no shoes, and isn't that what the Christmas season is all about?

Anyway, watch Die Hard. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

15. - Top - End - #45

You should watch Die Hard immediately after watching Love Actually, make it a movie marathon. This way you can watch Alan Rickman get punished for the way he treated Emma Thompson.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Die Hard takes place during Christmas, so I think it qualifies. Plus it includes running around thwarting Alan Rickman while wearing no shoes, and isn't that what the Christmas season is all about?

Anyway, watch Die Hard. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    I thought Christmas was about learning the drums to impress your crush at the school nativity play.

Annoyingly I never got to be first lobster.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought Christmas was about learning the drums to impress your crush at the school nativity play.

Annoyingly I never got to be first lobster.
    Oh, it's about that too. Though if you play drums without shoes, you can sort of do both. Assuming you have a crush on Alan Rickman and he showed up to your nativity play.

18. - Top - End - #48

The best min-maxing is when you do it for entirely flavour reasons.
    Also narrative and aesthetics.

the mental image of a thing-bu muscular girl muda-muda-mudaing the everloving crap out of an armored brute twice her size and defeating him without breaking sweat appeals to me for aesthetic reasons.

Semi-related: If the resulting dysphoria wasn't an issue, I'd have "turn into a little girl while keeping the physical attributes of my adult male body" as one of my superpowers partially for identity reasons* and partially becuase the idea of a little girl kicking the crap out of a hardened criminal amuses me.

*It's the ultimate secret identity: Nobody is going to look for a grown man when trying to track down the little girl who showed up out of nowhere to foil their evil schemes.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Also narrative and aesthetics.

the mental image of a thing-bu muscular girl muda-muda-mudaing the everloving crap out of an armored brute twice her size and defeating him without breaking sweat appeals to me for aesthetic reasons.

Semi-related: If the resulting dysphoria wasn't an issue, I'd have "turn into a little girl while keeping the physical attributes of my adult male body" as one of my superpowers partially for identity reasons* and partially becuase the idea of a little girl kicking the crap out of a hardened criminal amuses me.

*It's the ultimate secret identity: Nobody is going to look for a grown man when trying to track down the little girl who showed up out of nowhere to foil their evil schemes.
    Flavor covers all of that, but yeah absolutely that rules.

I try not to diagnose people because obviously I'm not a doctor, but Rater you are more and more striking me as someone who might be nonbinary. This is a good thing, as an aside.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Non binary is great! Which reminds me, I need to get myself some tartan blouses and a few skirts.

Show

21. - Top - End - #51

I try not to diagnose people because obviously I'm not a doctor, but Rater you are more and more striking me as someone who might be nonbinary. This is a good thing, as an aside.
    I will consider this word but I don't think so: The masculine gender identity doesn't feel "wrong" per se even if I occasionally wonder what a female body would feel like or consider "removal of concrete biological sex" as a step towards apotheosis into a superior being.

I think thoughts like "what would it be like to be a girl, or intersex, or have no biological sex at all" the same way "if i had my appendix out, would I notice a difference once I finished healing and the pain was gone. What about a kidney?"

Likewise, the idea of being able to change my body into whatever I want without experiencing dysphoria or dysmorphia appeals to me... But my current body doesn't feel wrong, except in that parts of it hurt or are difficult to manage due to a combination of genetic predisposition and bad choices when I was younger.

Like, I can understand why you might see that in my words but I don't really see it that way.

Of course, I'm also really not much into labels for that kind of thing and I think a lot of the labels that exist are too specific and/or too easy to read as ascribing traits that aren't universal within the group it's described, so that's also part of it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I've never foiled any evil schemes. The closest I've gotten was foiling doctors appointments.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #53

I will consider this word but I don't think so: The masculine gender identity doesn't feel "wrong" per se even if I occasionally wonder what a female body would feel like or consider "removal of concrete biological sex" as a step towards apotheosis into a superior being.

I think thoughts like "what would it be like to be a girl, or intersex, or have no biological sex at all" the same way "if i had my appendix out, would I notice a difference once I finished healing and the pain was gone. What about a kidney?"

Likewise, the idea of being able to change my body into whatever I want without experiencing dysphoria or dysmorphia appeals to me... But my current body doesn't feel wrong, except in that parts of it hurt or are difficult to manage due to a combination of genetic predisposition and bad choices when I was younger.

Like, I can understand why you might see that in my words but I don't really see it that way.

Of course, I'm also really not much into labels for that kind of thing and I think a lot of the labels that exist are too specific and/or too easy to read as ascribing traits that aren't universal within the group it's described, so that's also part of it.
    Totally fair and reasonable. Like I said I'm not one to diagnose things, and everyone should come to their own understanding of themselves where they are happy and content with who they are. Sometimes it helps to just air thoughts though.

24. - Top - End - #54

I will say that I'm probably aromantic.

The effort needed to have and maintain a healthy romantic relationship sounds exhausting but not making the effort is either opening yourself up to abuse or exploitation or(in my opinion, much worse,) exploiting or abusing someone else.

Where I'm sitting, it seems that you can get similar emotional fulfillment from close platonic friendships for much less hassle. Romance only seems to have inherent value in that it's a tool for creating familial units but the familial unit likewise only has value in that it creates a support network and there are other ways of creating those.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand I'm very much, uh, romantic? I enjoy the effort that goes into maintaining romantic relationships and the flitting back and forth between close friendship and actual romantic and flirting stuff.

What is flirting? No clue, but I enjoy it.

Although I do understand that me getting more things out of it (which are cuddles or [removed for good taste]) doesn't mean that everybody does. It can be exhausting, but I do find that to me I get things that are worth that.

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

The effort needed to have and maintain a healthy romantic relationship sounds exhausting but not making the effort is either opening yourself up to abuse or exploitation or(in my opinion, much worse,) exploiting or abusing someone else.

Where I'm sitting, it seems that you can get similar emotional fulfillment from close platonic friendships for much less hassle. Romance only seems to have inherent value in that it's a tool for creating familial units but the familial unit likewise only has value in that it creates a support network and there are other ways of creating those.
    Maybe. Though I'm struggling a lot with my platonic relationships too. My point is that close platonic bonds can be a bit of a minefield too.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I hear you. I wouldn't say I'm a-romantic, but my time frame for developing romantic feelings is so glacially slow that it is nearly impossible to find someone willing to wait 6 months before I decide if I want to start something.

Which is quite reasonable on their part, but anything less then that and I'm lying to them. I recently had this come up where a woman spent quite a lot of energy making sure I was safe and wouldn't be physical with her, and then was put out by me not wanting to be physical early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Non binary is great! Which reminds me, I need to get myself some tartan blouses and a few skirts.
    You shouldn't have to be Non-Binary to enjoy that. Grumble grumble something something unisex skirts. I want to see more men in skirts, too, dang it! ...maybe I just like skirts too much, and want to let everyone be able to enjoy them.

...also, I guess, maybe I'd hate the tyranny of pants less if clothing designers decided that men weren't the only ones that got pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Maybe. Though I'm struggling a lot with my platonic relationships too. My point is that close platonic bonds can be a bit of a minefield too.
    Yeah, that's a mood. Doesn't help that I'm constantly worrying that I'm bothering them, or that what I know are my weaknesses are annoying them and they're just humouring me, and... yeah, it spirals. I'm really just an inoffensive side friend. So I get clingy. >.>;
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-12-21 at 02:53 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You shouldn't have to be Non-Binary to enjoy that. Grumble grumble something something unisex skirts. I want to see more men in skirts, too, dang it! ...maybe I just like skirts too much, and want to let everyone be able to enjoy them.

...also, I guess, maybe I'd hate the tyranny of pants less if clothing designers decided that men weren't the only ones that got pockets.
    Oh, true. The only downside that I have with skirts is that they turn knickers from optional to required. Otherwise they're great, I just don't clothing shop enough in general to have got around to picking them up.

But women's trousers should definitely be a bit looser if it means functional pockets. I swear the lack of them is half the reason why one of my partners wears men's trousers. The other half seems to be a ixture of cut and tightness.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-12-21 at 02:52 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post

Yeah, that's a mood. Doesn't help that I'm constantly worrying that I'm bothering them, or that what I know are my weaknesses are annoying them and they're just humouring me, and... yeah, it spirals. I'm really just an inoffensive side friend. So I get clingy. >.>;
    Kilts at least have been popular here at some points, but here being Portland it doesn't necessarily apply anywhere else.

Oh, true. The only downside that I have with skirts is that they turn knickers from optional to required. Otherwise they're great, I just don't clothing shop enough in general to have got around to picking them up.

But women's trousers should definitely be a bit looser if it means functional pockets. I swear the lack of them is half the reason why one of my partners wears men's trousers. The other half seems to be a ixture of cut and tightness.
    The irony of wanting options for less pockets and tighter pants is palpable. Also women's pants are thinner and stretchy, which is nice. The dressier the slacks I wear the more they look like parachutes :/
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-12-21 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".