New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's get a sneak peak into Tasha's

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    So anyone know how the expanded spell lists interact with other features? Is it a feature of a character that they can consider a spell to be part of a class list or is it natively added to the list?

So if I were to play a divine soul, would it access new cleric spells? Or is it a feature of the cleric that they can access a couple of spells not on their list. Or say grabbing both command and dissonant whispers with magic initiate from the bard list.
    I think the answer is 'yes' for both of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I don’t understand the question. Can you provide examples where this would be important?
    Ok, so if the expanded spell lists are part of an ACF for a class - effectively "if you play a bard you may select spells from the bard list and also command etc." then you can play the expanded spell list if you are a bard, but not if you have an ability that grants access to something on the bard spell list - like Magic Initiate.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Ok, so if the expanded spell lists are part of an ACF for a class - effectively "if you play a bard you may select spells from the bard list and also command etc." then you can play the expanded spell list if you are a bard, but not if you have an ability that grants access to something on the bard spell list - like Magic Initiate.
    Ah. It will depend on exactly how they're worded. Most such things tend to be worded as "these are [class] spells for you," though, so that's my expectation.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

So, do the new summoning spells still not use hit dice for hp locking Sheperd Druid's bonus hp feature out? Or was that changed from UA?
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-10-31 at 11:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am excited for many of the subclasses that were confirmed for this book. The only concerns I have is how Aberrant Mind will function (because I kind of liked both the original Aberrant Mind and the Psionic Soul, so I kind of hope they went with a happy medium and that it isn't just a renamed Psionic Soul) and the amount of spells we're getting (I had kind of hoped their would be more, maybe even a few more tentacle themed spells like Evard's Menacing Tentacles and Evard's All-Seeing Worm).

However, I am still excited for the Fathomless Warlock, Beast Barbarian, Genie Warlock and many of the others.

It feels like a Halloween Party in a DnD Book and I love it.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    So, do the new summoning spells still not use hit dice for hp locking Sheperd Druid's bonus hp feature out? Or was that changed from UA?
    I don't know for sure yet, but based on the UA Drake Ranger companion (which has a similar HP formula and also says it has hit dice), I am hopeful that they will have them as well.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    I don't know for sure yet, but based on the UA Drake Ranger companion (which has a similar HP formula and also says it has hit dice), I am hopeful that they will have them as well.
    Hopefully. I know that if I don't see hit dice on those stat blocks I'll develop an irrational hatred for those spells.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hopefully. I know that if I don't see hit dice on those stat blocks I'll develop an irrational hatred for those spells.
    It's probably a good example of why having a feature key off HD wasn't a good idea or CR for that matter.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Crawford talks about the Rune Knight:

Spoiler
    Show

Notable reveal: the Order of Scribe Wizard is actually a re-work of the Archivist Artificier.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-10-31 at 12:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Notable reveal: the Order of Scribe Wizard is actually a re-work of the Archivist Artificier.
    To be honest, I actually suspected as much. Nice to know my hunch proved right, for once.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-10-31 at 01:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    This was mentioned in the UA it was presented in.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Uh, now that you mention it...

13. - Top - End - #283

MindFlayer

To be honest though, I didn't like the Order of the Scribe's final ability (which I made clear in my survey), so I kind of hope they changed it up a bit.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Huh. Must've missed the UA.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I completely agree.

Anyone that knows me is well aware of my optimization side, and I’m usually always in favor of making the players more powerful.

But not at the cost of essentially invalidating others at the table.

And with this, between the EK and the BS.... Oof. Considering now that you can start as a Mountain Dwarf with Medium Armor and +2 to two stats with THIS Bladesinger, it’s tough to make the case for going EK.

I get they nerfed the number of uses of Bladesong. I get it.

But I also really dislike their push of making everything scale off Proficiency Bonus, that’s going to have MASSIVE multi class implications.
    The medium armor really doesn't matter much for the Mountain Dwarf Bladesinger since you can't use it with Bladesong. The Mountain Dwarf is still a really strong choice in Point Buy games because of +2 times 2 which really amounts to being able to get two 18s at level 4. It is also a really good choice for non-Bladesinger Wizards, Bards, or Sorcs because of the armor proficiency.

Goblin and Tortle are also really solid choices for Bladesinger.

Meanwhile Human variant is still probably the optimal choice.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stangler View Post
    The medium armor really doesn't matter much for the Mountain Dwarf Bladesinger since you can't use it with Bladesong. The Mountain Dwarf is still a really strong choice in Point Buy games because of +2 times 2 which really amounts to being able to get two 18s at level 4. It is also a really good choice for non-Bladesinger Wizards, Bards, or Sorcs because of the armor proficiency.

Goblin and Tortle are also really solid choices for Bladesinger.

Meanwhile Human variant is still probably the optimal choice.
    Custom race will probably be the most optimal as you can get darkvision along with the free feat. +2 to one stat is basically the same as + 1 to 2 stat.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Custom race will probably be the most optimal as you can get darkvision along with the free feat. +2 to one stat is basically the same as + 1 to 2 stat.
    It's not the same, great on SAD builds, but the difference is starting with a 17 in one stat and at best a 15 in the next or starting with two 16s.

One of the best cases for that though is taking the +2 in Dex then grabbing the newly unrestricted Elven Accuracy to start the game with an 18 in point buy and super advantage.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-11-01 at 01:40 PM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge
    It's not the same, great on SAD builds, but the difference is starting with a 17 in one stat and at best a 15 in the next or starting with two 16s.

One of the best cases for that though is taking the +2 in Dex then grabbing the newly unrestricted Elven Accuracy to start the game with an 18 in point buy and super advantage.
    I would honestly wager that there will be something in there that restricts taking a half feat that can bump your starting stat to 18. I won't guarantee that, but I'd say it's 50/50.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    I would honestly wager that there will be something in there that restricts taking a half feat that can bump your starting stat to 18. I won't guarantee that, but I'd say it's 50/50.
    Honestly with how it's looking so far I wouldn't hold out much hope for a semblance of balance from the rules in this book.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

20. - Top - End - #290

DruidGuy

Well they already have a precedence for a race with a possible starting 18.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. Not there.

However.....

Remember that only the new Custom Race is the only one that can start with a Feat that isn’t VHuman.

They get +2 to a stat, Darkvision or a Skill Proficiency, and a Feat. (And I think a language)

So with the half feats available, that’s the only way to start with an 18 in a stat besides being a Changeling, which only lets you start with 18 Charisma.

22. - Top - End - #292

BarbarianGuy

I actually wonder if they’ll be changing the name of elven accuracy
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rlc View Post
    I actually wonder if they’ll be changing the name of elven accuracy
    Why, though? Maybe your character just has traces of elven ancestry.

Weirder things have happened.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Why, though? Maybe your character just has traces of elven ancestry.

Weirder things have happened.
    Or you were heavily trained by Elves in their ways.

I see no reason to change the name.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The funny part for me will be seeing if the dragonborn-related feats will be changed- or if they won't bother making characters without breath weapons capable of using it.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

The funny part for me will be seeing if the dragonborn-related feats will be changed- or if they won't bother making characters without breath weapons capable of using it.
    A very good question. Something like Dragon Fear, which requires the ability to use a breath weapon.... What happens there?

27. - Top - End - #297

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    A very good question. Something like Dragon Fear, which requires the ability to use a breath weapon.... What happens there?
    Indeed: see also Orcish Fury.

Bountiful Luck is marginally better on non-Halflings, since they don't have a Lucky trait to disable? :)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Let's get a sneak peak into Tasha's

Dipping in to give my comments:

1) I like being able to change stats on the races. It's neat and ultimately won't do much harm in my opinion (regardless of how right or wrong that opinion is)

2) Spell customization is a neat idea, granted I've not read the specifics. The only thing I can think of every changing is the damage type of a cantrip here and there to be a little more thematic. If functionality was the same I probably wouldn't stop a player from making a change.

3) Man, I really hope they throw sorcerers a bone. If not now, some day.

4)Looking at the replacement for Favored enemy

"Lv1 Favored Foe replaces Favored Enemy feature and works with foe slayer, When you hit a creature with an attack roll you may mark it as your favored enemy for 1 min or until you lose concentration, first time you hit it each turn you do 1d4 damage, 1d6 at lv6 and 1d8 at lv14, you can use this PB time per LR"

While it's not the lord and savior we might have wanted I'd still happily take it over Favored enemy anyway. For the pure reason that I have NEVER used Favored enemy on my ranger in any way, shape or form. Is this my fault or the DM's fault? Perhaps, but that's still what transpired and I'd rather not put any pressure on my DM to put specific kinds of enemies or npcs into campaigns. I will always have it as an option in combat, and it will always give me a result which is just nice as a class feature. The bonuses I would lose for Favored Enemy could be scryed and found other ways, perhaps even using the new 3rd level ability extra spells to do it.

While it interferes with hunter's mark and other concentration spells like Swift Quiver or Guardian of Nature that are designed for prolonged focus fire fighting, it's at least something I can use as a hunter's mark replacement and focus on other spells for spells known and spells cast. It at least allows comboing with other concentration spells in it.

You could cast Hail of Thorns or Zephyr Strike for instance, get the aoe damage or the free movement and damage advantage as well as the single target damage, and then mark them as your favored foe to trigger the damage from there out. Or just mark someone and have an extra Cure Wounds to spare for later.

Though it would be nice to have a line to it that adds:
    •At lvl 6, you become more determined to slay your favored foe. Casting a concentration spell of lvl 1 or 2 does not interrupt Favor Foe's concentration as long as you have targeted your favored foe. At lvl 14, this effect extends to level 3 and 4 spells.

(So recasting hunters mark using your bonus action after your initial target dies, for instance, would still break Favored Foe and require you to remark. Casting Zephyr strike and NOT hitting your favored foe, would also break your favored foe.)

I feel that's a nice addition while not letting you run away with it. Can't be access by dips either.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    (A) Point of order!

Frost Giants are faster, therefore better at concentrating force. We all know that logistics wins wars. A small squad of Fire Giants would beat a similarly-sized squad of Frost Giants in a melee fight, but in a war the Frost Giants are going to win. The Fire Giants can concentrate all of their forces on a small strongpoint and hold that strongpoint against a concerted attack by all the Fire Giants, but the moment they try to hold territory outside that strongpoint (call it the Green Zone) they invite defeat in detail by the Frost Giants.

24 Frost Giants can annihilate 12 Fire Giants and then annihilate 12 more Fire Giants, just by getting there "the firstest with the mostest."

However, there's no particular reason to assume they'd ever go to war with each other in the first place, whether you're using WotC fluff or TSR fluff.
    Creature speed has no effect on overland travel, as per raw. Forced Marches could give advantage to the side of the higher con though.

P.S. The spell research topic is interesting, my take is that spell research doesn't necessarily mean making spells that are outside the phb (you could be the first caster of hypnotic pattern in X world). Second, homebrew can be difficult for some DM's to implement even if my personal thoughts are the existing spell list is not diverse enough. Third, research being unavailable could be in the same boat as magic item creation, incredibly difficult(at least by raw) and not very widespread.
    I personally like homebrew spells and similar type in game things and so I use them in my games. As for research, only wizards and so far handled with level up gains.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2020-11-09 at 02:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

Just heard that JC tweeted saying that Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade will still work with Warcaster's Reaction attack.