New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Gone, gone the form of 'Bluff! Rise once more, the form of Snuff...aluffagus

Hahaha kneel before my 1d8 trunk attack with 10 feet of reach!

What is a vestige? A vestige is a spirit bound from the outer realms... or something similarly vague. The Binder summons them.

Vestiges are divided into 8 levels. Each one has a binding DC, and a bunch of supernatural natural abilities. These abilities include a wide variety, such as special skill bonuses, movement options, and attacks.

They also have a rich bit of lore from where they might have come from, a sign that shows on you when you bind them, and an influence that changes your behavior a little.

Don't make an entry without first having permission. As such, please make sure to leave your permission as a post in this thread, or the permapermissions thread.

Requests

Dire_Stirge

Vestiges

Adamna, the First Homunculus (unseenmage)
    Draconium, Covetous Stretched too Far (Draconium)
    Al'Pala, Spirit of Loyalty (LoyalPaladin)
    Mahroni, the Violist (Mahroni Violist)
    Blackhawk the Slayer (Blackhawk748)
    Zaydos, the Peanut Dragon (Zaydos)
    Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo (MeepoFire)
    It that Forgot and was Forgotten (ryu)
    Red Fel, the Helpful Advisor (Red Fel)
    Xuldarinar, the Shadow that Warns (Xuldrinar)
    Cerefel, the Song of Battle (Cerefel)
    Waker of Souls (Waker)
    Socratov, the First Bartender (Socratov)
    NeoPhoenix, the Chaos Senshi (NeoPhoenix0)
    Frostscape of Absolute Zero (Snowbluff)
    Khadgar, Master of the House (khadgar567)
    Bifrons, Carrier of the Gray Death (GrayDeath)
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-10-02 at 09:46 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-09-29 at 10:24 AM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

well let the shenanigans begin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Giving permission here. I'll probably vestigize (it's a word now, shuddup) a few people myself.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    Indeed it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Giving permission here. I'll probably vestigize (it's a word now, shuddup) a few people myself.
    I'll have to consider it. I do think I have an idea.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

And so, the eternal cycle begins anew.

Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I need to do this, since people spent so many posts in the last thread explaining to me what a vestige is and how it works. Will probably peruse the permapermissions thread to find people I know well enough for now.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Cor, been a long time hasn't it? Last thread started end of 2014, sheesh.

Gonna take some effort to catch up the new folks, won't it? Hm.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamna, the First Homunculus (unseenmage)

Adamna gives his summoner powers like that of a golem's, transforming them into a terror in combat.

Vestige Level: 4th
    Binding DC: 22
    Special Requirement: Yes

Legend: While there are several conflicting accounts of the story of the First Homunculus, binder scholars have managed to uncover several truths behind this mysterious vestige. It is the story of one of mankind's first follies. An arrogant wizard believed himself equal to that of the gods, and to prove it, he set about creating a being, much as the gods had created man. However, the final product was now the beautiful creature he had imagines, but rather a misshapen horror of stone, iron, and flesh. This Homunculus, as it came to be known, was in truth a gentle soul, but the hatred and revilement he received at the hands of his creator and the rest of mankind drove him first to grief, then to anger, culminating in the death of the foolish, arrogant wizard at Adamna;s hands. The Homunculus then fled to the far corners of the world, never to be seen again. At some point, he passed on from the mortal plane, but he had nowhere to go - he lacked a true soul, and was spurned from the afterlife as a result, but his will was too strong to simply disappear. Instead, it would seem that he became a vestige, waiting endlessly for someone to draw upon his power.

Special Requirement: You must place a drop of your own blood upon the seal to complete Adamna's summoning. This deals 2 points of damage to you.

Manifestation: The ground beneath the seal seems to boil and writhe as the blood flows along the lines of the seal. Eventually the ground rises up before you, shaping itself into a figure that looks vaguely like a humanoid, but taller and misshapen, equal parts stone, iron, and flesh comprising his body. When Adamna speaks, his voice is incongruous with his appearance, sounding smooth and well-spoken, much like a higher-class gentleman.

Sign: Your body twists, appearing misshapen and deformed.

Influence: Despite the anger within him, Adamna is a gentle vestige, who does not wish to frighten or threaten anyone. You cannot use the Intimidate skill while influenced by Adamna.

Granted Abilities: The First Homunculus became an influence on all other constructs created after him. Adamna gives you many of the abilities that constructs possess.
    Damage Reduction: You gain Damage Reduction 10/Adamantine. You cannot benefit from this unless you show Adamna's sign.
    Homunculus' Fists: You gain two slam attacks, each dealing 1d10 + your Str modifier damage (assuming you are medium sized). These count as Adamantine for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.
    Lightning Rebirth: The Homunculus was born from lightning, and you may use it to your advantage. If you would be dealt electricity damage, you may choose to absorb the lighting and charge your body with it. Until the end of your next turn, you may act as though under the effects of the Haste spell, and your slam attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of electricity damage. Once you have absorbed the damage once, you must wait 1d4+1 rounds before you can absorb another attack.
    Mind of the Construct: You gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects. If your Binder level is 14 or higher, you are instead immune to Mind-Affecting.
    Body of the Construct: You have a 25% chance to negate critical hits, and a +4 bonus against poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects. If your Binder level is 14 or higher, you instead have a 75% chance to negate critical hits, and are immune the previous effects.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    So I need to do this, since people spent so many posts in the last thread explaining to me what a vestige is and how it works. Will probably peruse the permapermissions thread to find people I know well enough for now.
    Have you read ToM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Cor, been a long time hasn't it? Last thread started end of 2014, sheesh.

Gonna take some effort to catch up the new folks, won't it? Hm.
    Yeah, back in the day.

11. - Top - End - #11

Saved as a JPEG because nostalgia. And god that sounds sad.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I remember creating vestiges in the home brew vestige thread back on the WotC board back in the day. Made a bunch too including Star Scream, Yorinaga Kurita, SPINAL TAP, and others (I think Spinal Tap was my best one overall though).

SO while I don't think I am well known enough here (particularly on this board) I give permission to create one of me if you desire.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Permission granted.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The thread has existed for almost 12 hours and I hadn't even realized

Alright besides the fact that permission is (obviously granted), let's get this started in earnest.

Draconium, Covetous Stretched too Far

Draconium was a dragon of immense power whose greed grew too great. Betraying the All-Mother he was cursed to never rest and never more to truly exist in the world.
    Binding DC: 24.
    Special Requirement: You must scatter gold or platinum coins worth 200 GP across Draconium’s seal. In addition Draconium refuses to be bound at the same time as Tiamat’s more famous failed suiter Ashardalon.

Legend: Draconium was a red dragon of great power, one that vied for the envied, if short lived, position of Consort to the Queen. His power was great enough to be feared across his Prime home, his wings likened unto a hurricane, his breath to the flames of Hell itself. The dwarves feared him enough to flee their kingdoms to escape his terrible wrath.

There was only one thing Draconium was better known for on his world than his power, his great and unquenchable greed. It was his greed which drove him to steal the kingdoms from the dwarves, to cease their fortress city and lair within it upon his pile of stolen wealth. It was his greed which led him to press suit with the Queen of Dragonkind.

For Draconium did not hunger for the coveted position, no he hungered for the chance to do the unspeakable, the unthinkable, the absolutely blasphemous. Draconium attempted to steal the hoard of the Queen herself. As Draconium pressed his suit he brought his kobold servants to offer tribute and gift to the Mother of All Evil Dragons, but in truth they each carried with them a bag of holding and when they delivered their tribute and Draconium distracted the Queen they set about their theft, pilling as much as they could into their bags, and escaping through the final act of mockery and blasphemy, by shattering the urns and gifts they had brought the Dragon Queen, each one a powerful planar travel item.

Tiamat was enraged when she discovered Draconium’s deception and she tore into him with fang and talon and tore the red wyrm limb from limb and piece from piece until he was nothing more than a scattered corpse. Now the tales begin to differ here.

Tiamat is the Mother of All Evil Dragons, Draconium’s soul was indisputably hers. Some say she simply tore his soul to tatters, but that the dragon’s greed was too great and that even when he should have, by rights, been utterly destroyed it lingered there, unwilling to pass into nothing until he had at least gotten to savor his stolen hoard, to feel the sweet touch of that wealth beyond legend. Too tattered and torn to become a ghost, Draconium’s greed became a vestige.

Other tales tell that Tiamat in her fury cursed the blasphemous wyrm. She sentenced him to the world of the vestiges never to be allowed to pass into non-existence until every stolen coin had found its way back to her hoard.

Manifestation: Draconium manifests as a great and powerful red dragon head rising first from the seal and his full body following utterly intangible. Slowly the great dragon dissipates, one coin-like disc floating from his body before vanishing after another. When the deal is made what remains of Draconium scatters into nothing more than these phantasmal coins.

Sign: Your flesh begins to peel, pieces of skin sloughing away from time to time, as if your body has trouble holding itself together.

Influence: While under Draconium’s influence if you have the chance to take an object of value without immediate repercussion you must. In addition you will never willingly part with wealth without something of equal or greater value in exchange. The only exception to both is when you see a shrine of Tiamat where you must place a coin in honor of, or a plead of forgiveness to, the All-Mother.

Granted Powers: Draconium grants those who bind him the power to sense wealth, and to bring it into their hand, as well draw power from their coveted wealth, to burn like the fires of the slain dragon, and to escape the eye of his kin.

Distant Theft: As a standard action you may attempt a sleight of hand check at +4 with a range of 30 ft. You may not manipulate an object weighing more than 5 lbs with this action and the object is teleported into your hand on a success. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Escape Detection: While Draconium is bound you are able to escape the enhanced senses of dragon kind. Creatures with darkvision are unable to see you with that ability when you are in total darkness (a devil’s see in darkness ability is unaffected). Creatures with low-light vision, or superior low-light vision, treats you as being in an area of shadowy illumination if a creature without low-light vision would and in total darkness if you would be to a creature without low-light vision. You are also undetectable to blindsense (but not blindsight, or non-blindsense abilities which act like blindsense). Finally true dragons suffer a -1 penalty to Spot and Listen checks to detect you per 10 ft instead of per 20 ft.

He was Fire: While Draconium is bound you deal additional fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier with all melee attacks. You may suppress this ability or resume it as a move action.

Miser’s Smite: You may declare a melee attack you make as a Miser’s Smite. If you do so you gain a bonus to attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier and a bonus to damage equal to your effective binder level, however to gain either bonus you must carry 100 * bonus squared GP in wealth (objects with value simply for trade and not due to their function); if you carry insufficient wealth this bonus is reduced to match the amount of wealth you do carry. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again until 5 rounds have passed.

Sense Wealth: You are able to sense any accumulation of wealth (i.e. within the same 5 ft square or carried by the same creature) within 60-ft. You know the presence of any accumulation of wealth worth more than 100 GP within range; objects with value due to their function (armor, weapons, magic items) outside of to trade for other objects do not count as wealth for this ability. You do not know the individual value of accumulations of wealth sensed with this ability but you do know relative value (i.e. if there’s a secret chamber of 500 GP, a kobold guard with 120 GP, and a flawless diamond worth 10,000 GP within range you know the location of each to their 5 ft square, and know the diamond is worth more than the secret chamber which is worth more than the kobold guard). A layer of lead, 1 inch of adamantine, 1 ft of other metal, or 5 ft of stone block this ability, lesser barriers do nothing.

For Contractors: Enthralling Voice (DrM).

Al’Pala, Spirit of Loyalty (LoyalPaladin)

Al’Pala is in truth not a vestige but a celestial spirit of loyalty and justice, however it allows itself to be bound through pacts much like a vestige.
    Vestige Level: 6th.
    Binding DC: 27
    Special Rules: Al’Pala is not truly a vestige but a spirit of justice and loyalty. They may only be bound by Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, and Neutral Good characters; if they are bound by a character whose alignment changes permanently from these three alignments Al’Pala is immediately unbound, if the alignment change is temporary (Morality Undone for example) they are not unbound but become suppressed for the duration.
    Special Requirement: You must worship Torm (if Torm doesn’t exist replace with another LG Torm-esque god).

Legend: Legends tell of how Al’Pala became a vestige, of how the archon stood firm against Hellish armies that tried to sweep up from the Lower Planes and claim Mechanus for the Hells, dying torn apart by Baatorian legions… in a campaign and war which never happened. Others claim that Al’Pala was given contradictory orders by Torm and in attempting to obey both tore into nothing more than scattered essence.

In truth Al’Pala is merely a spirit of Loyalty. They are not a vestige in the strictest sense, but another variety of spirit altogether which allows themselves to be bound by mortal practitioners of pact magic so as to protect and preserve the world.

Manifestation: Al’Pala manifests as a two-handed sword which rises up from their seal, held in a single gauntlet-clad hand. From this sword a sense of well-being and protection seems to emanate, bringing peaceful calm to those near it. No words are spoken by the sword during the pact making process, nothing but those waves of protectiveness which seem to soothe the soul itself.

Sign: Gauntlet-like chitin seems to cover your hands, and a small pair of vestigial wings grow from your back.

Influence: While under Al’Pala’s influence you must abide by a Paladin’s Code of Conduct.

Granted Powers:

Aura of Soul’s Guardian: Allies within 20 ft of you gain a +4 bonus to saving throws against any effect which you are immune to thanks to the Soul Guardian special ability (see Binder). If you have Slippery Mind due to Soul Guardian allies other than yourself within range which fail a saving throw against an enchantment spell or effect are allowed a second saving throw 1 round later at -4.

Blade of Just Transference: As a standard action you may make a single attack. If it hits a Chaotic or Evil creature which poses a real and immediate threat to you or your allies you may heal a single ally within 20 ft 4d6 + effective binder level damage and deal an equal amount of additional damage to the target. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Heavenly Flirt: While Al’Pala is bound you gain a +6 sacred bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Perform checks involved in honest (on your part) flirting and courtship. These bonuses increase to +10 when dealing with barmaids, and disguised evil outsiders (if you are aware they are an evil outsider this increased bonus does not apply).

Holy Splendor: As a standard action you release a holy radiance from your entire body. When you use this ability you emit bright light out to 120 ft (shadowy illumination out to 240 ft), evil creatures within the radius of bright light must make a Will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. You continue to radiate bright light as a daylight spell for 1 minute after using this ability. This ability interacts with magical darkness as if it were a daylight spell. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds before using it again. Stand Against Evil: While Al’Pala is bound you gain a +3 sacred bonus to AC against attacks from Evil creature, and a +3 sacred bonus on opposed checks made to resist their actions, and spot, listen, and sense motive checks to oppose their hide, move silently, and bluff checks.

Innate Gauntlets: You are considered to have masterwork gauntlets worn. This ability is only in effect as long as

Unwavering Loyalty: While Al’Pala is bound you gain immunity to fear and a +4 bonus on all saves against mind-affecting effects.

For Contractors: Transform Magic (Complete Mage, Page 62, Enlightened Spirit ability which grants a unique 6th level Greater Invocation).

Mahroni, the Violist (MahroniViolinist)

Mahroni was a hero broken by the tragedies of life, or perhaps a creature of strife and darkness.

Vestige Level: 5th
    Binding DC: 23
    Special Requirement: You must have at least 1 rank in Perform (Stringed Instruments)

Legend: Legend says that Mahroni was a changeling (ECS). The daughter of a passer she was taught never to use her powers, to do whatever she could to be human for as a shapeshifter she was a being of evil, an abomination. The town’s response when a group of becomers who were passing through town slipped up and were accused of all crimes committed in the town within the last few years as they were lynched.
    Mahroni learned the viola as she grew working on and perfecting her art, skillfully playing the notes with ease and grace that would have served her well in times of peace, but peace was not to be and war burnt across the land. Mahroni joined the human armies out of some sense of loyalty and rightness of her kingdom’s cause.
    She rose through the ranks a respected commander. That was until one day she found her squad faced with a dilemma and captured. Mahroni could save them but to do so she would have to reveal her changeling nature. She did so in the end, but found even her men so loyal she had believed no longer wanted anything to do with her. Her commanders learning her nature had her seized as a potential spy, to be tortured and killed.
    Mahroni escaped, after hours of torture, traveling under a dozen guises moving from village to village as a violist, playing for her supper. As she traveled she saw horrors, evil acts perpetuated again and again, and she tried her best to put an end to them with all the means at her disposal. Yet again and again she was not hailed as a hero, but reviled as an interloper, a jinx who was somehow blamed for bringing the trouble, or worse her nature as a changeling revealed she was hated and reviled for it.
    Time and time again Mahroni encountered this until she had finally had enough. She snapped. Her deeds of heroism stopped, and instead she tried to live by one rule: look out for number one. She stole, she lied, but when she saw a child in danger she acted to save the child. It was a trap for the changeling ‘thief’, and Mahroni was captured and restrained.
    The tales claim she was tortured to the very edge of death and led out to be publicly executed, and with her last dying breaths she spat what curses she still could. How this figure became a vestige is lost in legend, though some claim it was simply the feelings of injustice her soul felt, but why she’d pass beyond the gods and not merely become a ghost in that case…

Others of course claim the whole tale is a lie made by none other than Mahroni to hide its true nature, a creature of strife and terror, born in darkness to spread darkness.

Manifestation: Mahroni appears rising from her seal in a red hooded cloak. Her features continuously shift, appearing as various loved ones of the would be binder, with eyes of pure black from which blood-like tears flow freely. A pair of simple dolls sit rise beside her their eyes human eyes, but glassy and dead. Mahroni does not speak but sings with a mouth lacking teeth and tongue, even as she plays her viola.

Sign: Viscous black fluid leaks from your eyes at all time, quickly evaporating once it has run down your cheeks like tears of black blood.

Influence: If not actively engaged in combat whenever you encounter music you must stop and listen as if fascinated for 1 minute or until it stops. You may act normally during this period but only at the cost of ignoring the vestige’s influence and the penalties therein.

Granted Powers:

Born to Strife: When in a strife-filled situation, such as active combat, or an otherwise chaotic and unpredictable situation in which taking 10 is (normally) impossible you may as a free action draw upon the strife to rise to the occasion heroically. You gain one of the following: a luck bonus to attack rolls equal to +1/4 effective binder levels; a luck bonus to AC equal to +1 +1/3 effective binder levels; a luck bonus to saving throws equal to +1 +1/3 effective binder levels; a luck bonus to ability checks equal to +2 +1/3 effective binder levels; or a luck bonus to skill checks equal to +2 + ½ effective binder levels. Whichever you choose the bonus lasts merely one round. After you use this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Chords of Terror and Splendor: As a standard action you may play a stringed instrument you hold. When you do so choose Terror or Splendor. If you choose Terror: enemies within 40 ft which can hear you play must make a Will save or be frightened as long as they can hear you play. At the end of each of their turns enemies affect by this ability may make another Will save, if they succeed they are no longer frightened and unaffected again by this use of this ability. If you choose Splendor: enemies within 40 ft which can hear you play must make a Will save or be fascinated as long as they can hear you play. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. This is a mind-affecting compulsion. Regardless of which you choose to perform continuing to play is a standard action each round and you must maintain concentration (if you take damage, ride a horse, or otherwise engage in activities which would force concentration checks to maintain concentration you must make them) and once you stop you must wait 5 rounds before using this ability again.

Elude Truth: While Mahroni is bound you gain the ability to elude attempts to discover your true nature, for allowing it to be revealed proved disastrous time and time for the violist. You gain a +10 competence bonus to Bluff checks made to lie, and if a divination spell would reveal information about you, or targets you, you must make a(n effective) binder level check against DC 10 + their caster level.

Master Violist: While Mahroni is bound you gain a competence bonus to Perform checks with stringed instruments equal to 4 plus ½ your effective binder level.

Morphic Features: While Mahroni is bound you may change your appearance at will, as if using the disguise self spell, but only to appear as a different member of your race. This affects your body but not your possessions. It is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of the your appearance, within the limits described for the spell.

For Contractors: Humanoid Shape (DrM).

Blackhawk was a mercenary of legendary prowess and puissance of arms, a prowess he lends those who bind him.

Binding DC: 24
    Special Requirement: You must have proficiency in at least one martial or exotic weapon.

Legend: Blackhawk was a mercenary of legendary skill and prowess. He led his band of Black Bear in battle after battle, war after war, caring not for the cosmic struggles, nor for greed, but simply for the love of the fight. He fought for the forces of Law and Good, for the forces of Chaos and Evil, and fought for each interchangeably.

His prowess on the battlefield was immense, his great, iron club smashing through any foe who chose to stand in the way of him and his men. Some claim he was the first to perfect the combat talents that became the foundation of the Stone Dragon, and thus the foundation of the Sublime Way in its entirety, long before Reshar’s temple. Others claim he was merely an early master of it, the one who taught Reshar its way and one who sided not with the Temple but with the masters of Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw when they betrayed it. Other stories place Blackhawk at a far later date, but most agree he was a master of the art of combat.

Blackhawk’s tendency to switch sides often enough to make a yugoloth blush caught up with him, though, and the Band of the Black Bear found themselves crushed between two armies, one of which they were currently employed by.

Blackhawk’s soul passed to Ysgard and its eternal battles and revels, but it was ill-suited for the plane. Certainly it was a soul of war and battle, but it was too ready to betray sides, lacked the moral rooting that even those who adhered to Chaos and Chaos alone must possess for the glorious battlefields, so Blackhawk found himself rejected by Ysgard and pushed into its opposite upon the wheel, the Eternal Battlefield of Acheron.

There Blackhawk’s soul fit better, but there was too much chaos in it, and his betrayals were not motivated by cowardice or greed, but simply through sheer love of the fight. He turned not to ingratiate himself with a side already winning, but to fall into the very bloodiest heart of battle. In the end there was no loyalty in his heart except to War.

Blackhawk fell on the battlefields of Acheron as he had in life, torn apart by friend and foe alike in the midst of bloody melee. They tore into him enough that even as a petitioner of a plane of War he would not reform, rending him absolutely till nothing remained except his love of War.

Manifestation: Blackhawk rises up from his seal in the form of a powerfully built male warrior drenched from head to toe in blood. As the pact is made the blood slowly drips from Blackhawk’s form, to reveal his face as the face of the first humanoid creature the binder ever killed (if they’ve never killed a humanoid creature the face is non-descript and indistinct), bloodless and dead, eyes staring and reproachful.

Sign: While showing Blackhawk’s sign you sweat, cry, and spit blood.

Influence: While under Blackhawk’s influence you are not allowed to disengage from combat, or deal with openly hostile creatures except through direct confrontation.

Granted Powers:

Bloodhawk’s Dive: While Blackhawk is bound as a standard action you may make a single melee attack. If it hits this attack deals +2d8 + 1d8 damage per 2 effective binder levels and ignores hardness and DR. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Combat Expertise: While Blackhawk is bound you gain the benefits of the Combat Expertise feat. If you already possess the Combat Expertise ability you apply its bonus to AC to Fort and Reflex saves as well as AC as long as you would not be denied your Dexterity bonus against the effect if it was an attack.

Giant’s Blow: While Blackhawk is bound as a standard action you may make a single melee attack. If it hits this attack deals +2d8 + 1d8 damage per 2 effective binder levels and the target must make a Reflex save or be knocked 10 ft + 5 ft per 5 effective binder levels away from you in a straight line (you may choose to knock the target less distance); a creature with four legs or stability gains a +2 bonus to their save, and a creature that is larger than you gains a +2 bonus per size category larger they are than you. However you add your Strength modifier to the save DC of this ability. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

March to Battle: While Blackhawk is bound you may lead yourself and up to one creature per effective binder level on a march to battle. To do so you lead them cross country and decide upon a location upon the Prime Material Plane, the Abyss, Acheron, Baator, Carceri, the Gray Wastes, Gehenna, or Ysgard. After 45 minutes you enter the Astral Plane in a personal Astral Pocket (similar to the space of a Bag of Holding or other such item) after another 45 minutes in this pocket you and the led creatures arrive at the site of the nearest ongoing large scale battle upon that plane to the designated location. If there are no large scale battles happening on the plane at the moment you end up on Acheron in one of its continuous large scale battles.

Reckless Attack: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from your AC and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on AC and bonus on damage apply until your next turn. You may combine this ability with Power Attack but the total penalty taken between the two abilities may not exceed your base attack bonus.

Terrible Slayer: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), enemies within 10 ft per effective binder level which can see you must make a Will save or be shaken for 1 round. The save DC against this ability is increased by 1 per 5 ranks in Intimidate you possess.

For Contractors: Path of the Blackened Blade (Doomsayer invocation).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-02 at 12:31 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hahaha kneel before my 1d8 trunk attack with 10 feet of reach!
    Oh my! Im quite intimidated by the size of your damage dice. Should I be prone for this? Can someons cast greasefirst? Its my first time in combat so please, use touch attacks.

Ive always wondered what Id be as a vestage. I give permission. Use me as you see fit, Playground.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Zaydos, I am disappointed that Draconium's vestige has no breath weapon.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't gotten involved in one of these for a while.

I give permission!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Al’Pala, Spirit of Loyalty (LoyalPaladin)

Al’Pala is in truth not a vestige but a celestial spirit of loyalty and justice, however it allows itself to be bound through pacts much like a vestige.
    Vestige Level: 6th.
    Binding DC: 27
    Special Rules: Al’Pala is not truly a vestige but a spirit of justice and loyalty. They may only be bound by Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, and Neutral Good characters; if they are bound by a character whose alignment changes permanently from these three alignments Al’Pala is immediately unbound, if the alignment change is temporary (Morality Undone for example) they are not unbound but become suppressed for the duration.
    Special Requirement: You must worship Torm (if Torm doesn’t exist replace with another LG Torm-esque god).

Legend: Legends tell of how Al’Pala became a vestige, of how the archon stood firm against Hellish armies that tried to sweep up from the Lower Planes and claim Mechanus for the Hells, dying torn apart by Baatorian legions… in a campaign and war which never happened. Others claim that Al’Pala was given contradictory orders by Torm and in attempting to obey both tore into nothing more than scattered essence.

In truth Al’Pala is merely a spirit of Loyalty. They are not a vestige in the strictest sense, but another variety of spirit altogether which allows themselves to be bound by mortal practitioners of pact magic so as to protect and preserve the world.

Manifestation: Al’Pala manifests as a two-handed sword which rises up from their seal, held in a single gauntlet-clad hand. From this sword a sense of well-being and protection seems to emanate, bringing peaceful calm to those near it. No words are spoken by the sword during the pact making process, nothing but those waves of protectiveness which seem to soothe the soul itself.

Sign: Gauntlet-like chitin seems to cover your hands, and a small pair of vestigial wings grow from your back.

Influence: While under Al’Pala’s influence you must abide by a Paladin’s Code of Conduct.

Granted Powers:

Aura of Soul’s Guardian: Allies within 20 ft of you gain a +4 bonus to saving throws against any effect which you are immune to thanks to the Soul Guardian special ability (see Binder). If you have Slippery Mind due to Soul Guardian allies other than yourself within range which fail a saving throw against an enchantment spell or effect are allowed a second saving throw 1 round later at -4.

Blade of Just Transference: As a standard action you may make a single attack. If it hits a Chaotic or Evil creature which poses a real and immediate threat to you or your allies you may heal a single ally within 20 ft 4d6 + effective binder level damage and deal an equal amount of additional damage to the target. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Heavenly Flirt: While Al’Pala is bound you gain a +6 sacred bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Perform checks involved in honest (on your part) flirting and courtship. These bonuses increase to +10 when dealing with barmaids, and disguised evil outsiders (if you are aware they are an evil outsider this increased bonus does not apply).

Holy Splendor: As a standard action you release a holy radiance from your entire body. When you use this ability you emit bright light out to 120 ft (shadowy illumination out to 240 ft), evil creatures within the radius of bright light must make a Will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. You continue to radiate bright light as a daylight spell for 1 minute after using this ability. This ability interacts with magical darkness as if it were a daylight spell. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds before using it again. Stand Against Evil: While Al’Pala is bound you gain a +3 sacred bonus to AC against attacks from Evil creature, and a +3 sacred bonus on opposed checks made to resist their actions, and spot, listen, and sense motive checks to oppose their hide, move silently, and bluff checks.

Innate Gauntlets: You are considered to have masterwork gauntlets worn. This ability is only in effect as long as

Unwavering Loyalty: While Al’Pala is bound you gain immunity to fear and a +4 bonus on all saves against mind-affecting effects.

For Contractors: Transform Magic (Complete Mage, Page 62, Enlightened Spirit ability which grants a unique 6th level Greater Invocation).
    This is great! Now I need to go read ToM again! Haha. I love this and it actually makes me want to play a binder.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd love to be envestiged. if you need a prompt, I'm a sucker for soulknives (The good DSP ones, not the horrid 3.5 ones).
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Hmmm...
    I'd love to be vestigized. if you need a prompt, I'm a sucker for soulknives (The good DSP ones, not the horrid 3.5 ones).
    FTFY

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

FTFY
    Potayto, potahto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Binding DC: 24
    Special Requirement: You must have proficiency in at least one martial or exotic weapon.

Legend: Blackhawk was a mercenary of legendary skill and prowess. He led his band of Black Bear in battle after battle, war after war, caring not for the cosmic struggles, nor for greed, but simply for the love of the fight. He fought for the forces of Law and Good, for the forces of Chaos and Evil, and fought for each interchangeably.

His prowess on the battlefield was immense, his great, iron club smashing through any foe who chose to stand in the way of him and his men. Some claim he was the first to perfect the combat talents that became the foundation of the Stone Dragon, and thus the foundation of the Sublime Way in its entirety, long before Reshar’s temple. Others claim he was merely an early master of it, the one who taught Reshar its way and one who sided not with the Temple but with the masters of Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw when they betrayed it. Other stories place Blackhawk at a far later date, but most agree he was a master of the art of combat.

Blackhawk’s tendency to switch sides often enough to make a yugoloth blush caught up with him, though, and the Band of the Black Bear found themselves crushed between two armies, one of which they were currently employed by.

Blackhawk’s soul passed to Ysgard and its eternal battles and revels, but it was ill-suited for the plane. Certainly it was a soul of war and battle, but it was too ready to betray sides, lacked the moral rooting that even those who adhered to Chaos and Chaos alone must possess for the glorious battlefields, so Blackhawk found himself rejected by Ysgard and pushed into its opposite upon the wheel, the Eternal Battlefield of Acheron.

There Blackhawk’s soul fit better, but there was too much chaos in it, and his betrayals were not motivated by cowardice or greed, but simply through sheer love of the fight. He turned not to ingratiate himself with a side already winning, but to fall into the very bloodiest heart of battle. In the end there was no loyalty in his heart except to War.

Blackhawk fell on the battlefields of Acheron as he had in life, torn apart by friend and foe alike in the midst of bloody melee. They tore into him enough that even as a petitioner of a plane of War he would not reform, rending him absolutely till nothing remained except his love of War.

Manifestation: Blackhawk rises up from his seal in the form of a powerfully built male warrior drenched from head to toe in blood. As the pact is made the blood slowly drips from Blackhawk’s form, to reveal his face as the face of the first humanoid creature the binder ever killed (if they’ve never killed a humanoid creature the face is non-descript and indistinct), bloodless and dead, eyes staring and reproachful.

Sign: While showing Blackhawk’s sign you sweat, cry, and spit blood.

Influence: While under Blackhawk’s influence you are not allowed to disengage from combat, or deal with openly hostile creatures except through direct confrontation.

Granted Powers:

Bloodhawk’s Dive: While Blackhawk is bound as a standard action you may make a single melee attack. If it hits this attack deals +2d8 + 1d8 damage per 2 effective binder levels and ignores hardness and DR. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Combat Expertise: While Blackhawk is bound you gain the benefits of the Combat Expertise feat. If you already possess the Combat Expertise ability you apply its bonus to AC to Fort and Reflex saves as well as AC as long as you would not be denied your Dexterity bonus against the effect if it was an attack.

Giant’s Blow: While Blackhawk is bound as a standard action you may make a single melee attack. If it hits this attack deals +2d8 + 1d8 damage per 2 effective binder levels and the target must make a Reflex save or be knocked 10 ft + 5 ft per 5 effective binder levels away from you in a straight line (you may choose to knock the target less distance); a creature with four legs or stability gains a +2 bonus to their save, and a creature that is larger than you gains a +2 bonus per size category larger they are than you. However you add your Strength modifier to the save DC of this ability. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

March to Battle: While Blackhawk is bound you may lead yourself and up to one creature per effective binder level on a march to battle. To do so you lead them cross country and decide upon a location upon the Prime Material Plane, the Abyss, Acheron, Baator, Carceri, the Gray Wastes, Gehenna, or Ysgard. After 45 minutes you enter the Astral Plane in a personal Astral Pocket (similar to the space of a Bag of Holding or other such item) after another 45 minutes in this pocket you and the led creatures arrive at the site of the nearest ongoing large scale battle upon that plane to the designated location. If there are no large scale battles happening on the plane at the moment you end up on Acheron in one of its continuous large scale battles.

Reckless Attack: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from your AC and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on AC and bonus on damage apply until your next turn. You may combine this ability with Power Attack but the total penalty taken between the two abilities may not exceed your base attack bonus.

Terrible Slayer: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), enemies within 10 ft per effective binder level which can see you must make a Will save or be shaken for 1 round. The save DC against this ability is increased by 1 per 5 ranks in Intimidate you possess.

For Contractors: Path of the Blackened Blade (Doomsayer invocation).
    Zaydos, you did it again. That right there is a wonderful piece of slaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would be interested in seeing someone try to make a vestige of "me," since if I'm not a Servant Soul then I must be a Dimensional Conduit. Which are both classes with a similar idea to the Binder of borrowing other people's power, except way better at it. So an individual vestige trying to ape classes bigger than the Binder, seems unfeasible.

One could instead make use of the pretentious title I've decided to give this character: based on my refusal to act in-character as "Fizban," I call this hypothetical Dimensional Conduit (Servant Soul/Legacy Gatekeeper/Base Chameleon/Avatar/Factotum/Wilder) the Thief of Names. Although that would imply a Vestige based on Truenaming, which I don't want to be anywhere near
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Draconium, Covetous Stretched too Far

Draconium was a dragon of immense power whose greed grew too great. Betraying the All-Mother he was cursed to never rest and never more to truly exist in the world.
    Binding DC: 24.
    Special Requirement: You must scatter gold or platinum coins worth 200 GP across Draconium’s seal. In addition Draconium refuses to be bound at the same time as Tiamat’s more famous failed suiter Ashardalon.

Legend: Draconium was a red dragon of great power, one that vied for the envied, if short lived, position of Consort to the Queen. His power was great enough to be feared across his Prime home, his wings likened unto a hurricane, his breath to the flames of Hell itself. The dwarves feared him enough to flee their kingdoms to escape his terrible wrath.

There was only one thing Draconium was better known for on his world than his power, his great and unquenchable greed. It was his greed which drove him to steal the kingdoms from the dwarves, to cease their fortress city and lair within it upon his pile of stolen wealth. It was his greed which led him to press suit with the Queen of Dragonkind.

For Draconium did not hunger for the coveted position, no he hungered for the chance to do the unspeakable, the unthinkable, the absolutely blasphemous. Draconium attempted to steal the hoard of the Queen herself. As Draconium pressed his suit he brought his kobold servants to offer tribute and gift to the Mother of All Evil Dragons, but in truth they each carried with them a bag of holding and when they delivered their tribute and Draconium distracted the Queen they set about their theft, pilling as much as they could into their bags, and escaping through the final act of mockery and blasphemy, by shattering the urns and gifts they had brought the Dragon Queen, each one a powerful planar travel item.

Tiamat was enraged when she discovered Draconium’s deception and she tore into him with fang and talon and tore the red wyrm limb from limb and piece from piece until he was nothing more than a scattered corpse. Now the tales begin to differ here.

Tiamat is the Mother of All Evil Dragons, Draconium’s soul was indisputably hers. Some say she simply tore his soul to tatters, but that the dragon’s greed was too great and that even when he should have, by rights, been utterly destroyed it lingered there, unwilling to pass into nothing until he had at least gotten to savor his stolen hoard, to feel the sweet touch of that wealth beyond legend. Too tattered and torn to become a ghost, Draconium’s greed became a vestige.

Other tales tell that Tiamat in her fury cursed the blasphemous wyrm. She sentenced him to the world of the vestiges never to be allowed to pass into non-existence until every stolen coin had found its way back to her hoard.

Manifestation: Draconium manifests as a great and powerful red dragon head rising first from the seal and his full body following utterly intangible. Slowly the great dragon dissipates, one coin-like disc floating from his body before vanishing after another. When the deal is made what remains of Draconium scatters into nothing more than these phantasmal coins.

Sign: Your flesh begins to peel, pieces of skin sloughing away from time to time, as if your body has trouble holding itself together.

Influence: While under Draconium’s influence if you have the chance to take an object of value without immediate repercussion you must. In addition you will never willingly part with wealth without something of equal or greater value in exchange. The only exception to both is when you see a shrine of Tiamat where you must place a coin in honor of, or a plead of forgiveness to, the All-Mother.

Granted Powers: Draconium grants those who bind him the power to sense wealth, and to bring it into their hand, as well draw power from their coveted wealth, to burn like the fires of the slain dragon, and to escape the eye of his kin.

Distant Theft: As a standard action you may attempt a sleight of hand check at +4 with a range of 30 ft. You may not manipulate an object weighing more than 5 lbs with this action and the object is teleported into your hand on a success. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Escape Detection: While Draconium is bound you are able to escape the enhanced senses of dragon kind. Creatures with darkvision are unable to see you with that ability when you are in total darkness (a devil’s see in darkness ability is unaffected). Creatures with low-light vision, or superior low-light vision, treats you as being in an area of shadowy illumination if a creature without low-light vision would and in total darkness if you would be to a creature without low-light vision. You are also undetectable to blindsense (but not blindsight, or non-blindsense abilities which act like blindsense). Finally true dragons suffer a -1 penalty to Spot and Listen checks to detect you per 10 ft instead of per 20 ft.

He was Fire: While Draconium is bound you deal additional fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier with all melee attacks. You may suppress this ability or resume it as a move action.

Miser’s Smite: You may declare a melee attack you make as a Miser’s Smite. If you do so you gain a bonus to attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier and a bonus to damage equal to your effective binder level, however to gain either bonus you must carry 100 * bonus squared GP in wealth (objects with value simply for trade and not due to their function); if you carry insufficient wealth this bonus is reduced to match the amount of wealth you do carry. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again until 5 rounds have passed.

Sense Wealth: You are able to sense any accumulation of wealth (i.e. within the same 5 ft square or carried by the same creature) within 60-ft. You know the presence of any accumulation of wealth worth more than 100 GP within range; objects with value due to their function (armor, weapons, magic items) outside of to trade for other objects do not count as wealth for this ability. You do not know the individual value of accumulations of wealth sensed with this ability but you do know relative value (i.e. if there’s a secret chamber of 500 GP, a kobold guard with 120 GP, and a flawless diamond worth 10,000 GP within range you know the location of each to their 5 ft square, and know the diamond is worth more than the secret chamber which is worth more than the kobold guard). A layer of lead, 1 inch of adamantine, 1 ft of other metal, or 5 ft of stone block this ability, lesser barriers do nothing.

For Contractors: Enthralling Voice (DrM).
    Oh, I like this. It almost makes me want to play a Binder just to use this. ... Almost. (I love the Binder's flavor, but for the life of me, I'm never able to enjoy actually playing the class.) Thank you for the wonderful present, Zaydos.

Extended Signature Link

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I keep trying to come up with ideas for a vestige based on Marlowe's Planetouched characters, but I can't pull anything coherent together...

Regardless, I'm here.

Zaydos, the Peanut Dragon

Vestige Level: 3rd

Legend: It's a peanut. It's a dragon. Do the math.

Manifestation: A number of small shoots and vines burst forth from the ground and twist into the shape of a small dragon. A pair of peanuts sprout from the vines in positions reminiscent of eyes, and the resulting effigy silently awaits your bargain.

Sign: Your skin is covered in rough scales, like the shell of a peanut, and the hair on top of your head turns green.

Influence: While under Zaydos's influence, you have difficulty resisting invitations to participate in creative or artistic activities. When presented with such an invitation, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + your Wisdom modifier) to turn down the invitation.

Granted Powers: Those who dare to bind Zaydos have at their disposal the massive untapped power of the peanut.

Quite a Mouthful: As a standard action, you can conjure a glob of hyper-allergenic peanuts and peanut butter and hurl it at a target within 60 feet, striking without need for an attack roll. The target is nauseated for 1d4 rounds unless they succeed on a Fortitude save, and a successful save instead renders them sickened for the same duration. Regardless of the result of the saving throw, the target also finds their mouth gummed up with peanut butter for 1d4+4 rounds, making speech very difficult. The first time each round the creature tries to speak, they must roll d%; on a result of 01-20 they are unable to speak that round, making communication difficult and verbal spell components or magical command words impossible. After using this ability you must wait 5 rounds to use it again.

Icky Sticky: You leave a trail of peanut butter wherever you walk, causing any surface you occupied or moved across to become difficult terrain for all creatures other than you. This difficult terrain persists for one minute, but dissipates if you move more than 60 feet away from it or if you take a swift, standard, or move action to dismiss the peanut butter.

Roots of the Earth: You get a +8 bonus on opposed checks to resist bull rush, overrun, and trip attempts, and a +4 bonus on saving throws against effects that would move you against your will.

Unyielding Shell: You gain a natural armor bonus equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum 1). If you have a natural armor bonus from another source, you use the higher of your Charisma bonus or your existing natural armor plus one-half your Charisma bonus. You must be showing Zaydos's sign to gain this benefit.

Photosynthesis: While exposed to direct natural sunlight, you gain fast healing 2. This improves to fast healing 3/4/5 at binder levels 9/13/17. You must be showing Zaydos's sign to gain this benefit.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-09-30 at 12:14 AM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    I remember creating vestiges in the home brew vestige thread back on the WotC board back in the day. Made a bunch too including Star Scream, Yorinaga Kurita, SPINAL TAP, and others (I think Spinal Tap was my best one overall though).

SO while I don't think I am well known enough here (particularly on this board) I give permission to create one of me if you desire.
    I know 2 things about you. 1) You make vestiges of cartoon characters and fictional metal bands. 2) You hate alignment as mechanic. As someone who makes vestiges of comic book characters, Star Fleet personnel, and the occasional vampire wizard spy Christopher Lee I can respect the former. Add in your name for some inspiration and...

Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo (MeeposFire)

Pyroignus was a devoted friend in life, and shares that devotion even now as a vestige.

Vestige Level: 3rd.
    Binding DC: 20.

Legend: Pyrohignus was a kobold and the closest friend to his fellow kobold the tribe’s dragon keeper. Following an event in which the tribe’s wyrmling dragon was stolen by goblins, Pyrohignus’s best friend was banished and Pyrohignus followed him into exile.

When werefleshrakers attacked and infected his friend, Pyrohignus stood beside him and suffered the same affliction. The kobolds were inseparable, Pyrohignus always following behind his more charismatic friend. That was until the dragon disciple and Pyrohignus encountered a ghost dragon. The two kobolds were hopelessly outmatched, but Pyrohignus plead to save his friend’s life, offering not just his own life, but his very soul in exchange. Of course the dragon ghost was a dragon ghost not a fiend, it couldn’t directly take his soul, but it possessed his body, letting his friend go and ‘living’ through Pyrohignus, letting the kobold’s own soul wither and fade.

Thus Pyrohignus died while he yet lived, his soul losing its anchor to his body, yet he could not rest easy while his friend still lived. Too little of Pyrohignus remained to return as a ghost, but it still clawed to return, and though his friend may have passed on Pyrohignus still watches for his one true comrade.

Manifestation: Pyrohignus rises from the seal in the form of a fleshraker. Slowly he reshapes into a form halfway between kobold and fleshraker, and then takes the form of a kobold which slowly fades throughout the binding process.

Sign: While showing Pyrohignus’s sign your toes curve up into wickedly twisting claws like those of a deinonychus.

Influence: While under Pyrohignus’s influence you may not betray a friend or deceive them, nor may you knowingly encourage another creature to do so.

Granted Powers:

Distracting Flanker: While Pyrohignus is bound if you flank a creature it suffers a penalty to attack rolls made against creatures other than you equal to the bonus you gain to attack rolls for flanking it. In addition it provokes an attack of opportunity from any creature (other than you) that is flanking it with you if it moves even if it takes a 5 ft step or withdraws; a tumble check can still be made to avoid this AoO but they suffer a penalty to do so equal to ½ your binder level.

Envenom: While Pyrohignus is bound as a swift action you may charge your next melee attack with a slashing or piercing weapon with poison. This poison has an initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Dexterity. If the charged attack misses this ability is wasted. If you do not make a melee attack with a slashing or piercing weapon before the end of your turn this ability is wasted. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds before using it again.

Friendly Fire: While Pyrohignus is bound you gain a fiery breath weapon which you can use as a standard action. This breath weapon is a cone of fire out to 10 ft per 3 binder levels (maximum 50 ft) which deals 1d6 fire damage per binder level within the area (Reflex halves). Allied creatures within the area take no damage, as Pyrohignus’s flames burn not his friends. Once you have used this ability you must wait 1d4+1 rounds before using it again (minimum 1 round).

Keeper of the Fire: While Pyrohignus is bound you gain fire resistance 10 and any flaming object you carry cannot be extinguished as long as you are carrying it (lifting it off the ground).

Rake: While Pyrohignus is bound when you charge you may make 2 rake attacks in addition to your normal attack(s) at the end of a charge. These rake attacks are made as primary natural weapons (even if you make other attacks) each dealing 1d6 + Strength damage. In addition if you successfully strike a creature with both rake attacks you may make a trip attempt against that creature with a +4 bonus added to your opposed check and without provoking any attacks of opportunity for the trip attempt, without needing a touch attack, and without allowing the enemy to respond to trip you back if you fail to trip them. You must show Pyrohignus’s sign to use this ability.

For Contractors: True Friend’s Shield (new invocation).

True Friend’s Shield
    Least, 2nd (Abjuration)
    With a touch you create a protective bond between you and another creature. As long as you are on the same plane the subject gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to your deflection bonus to AC and a resistance bonus to saves equal to your resistance bonus to saves, and takes only half damage from all wounds and attacks (including that dealt by special abilities) that deal hit point damage. The amount of damage not taken by the warded creature is taken by you. Forms of harm that do not involve hit points, such as charm effects, temporary ability damage, level draining, and death effects, are not affected. If the subject suffers a reduction of hit points from a lowered Constitution score, the reduction is not split with you because it is not hit point damage. When the spell ends, subsequent damage is no longer divided between the subject and you, but damage already split is not reassigned to the subject.

This invocation lasts 24 hours, though may be dismissed prematurely.

With (Improved) Bind Vestige: If you have the Improved Bind Vestige feat you gain Distracting Flanker. If you also have Practiced Binder you gain Envenom.

Zaydos, I am disappointed that Draconium's vestige has no breath weapon.
    But a red dragon who binds him already has fire breath, and now they get new extra abilities. More seriously Draconium is always getting given a breath weapon it feels cheep and uninspired to do it too often, got to be able to do red dragon without the crutch of 'fire breath' sometimes. There is more to a red dragon than its breath weapon. Besides there's already a vestige for breath weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    This is great! Now I need to go read ToM again! Haha. I love this and it actually makes me want to play a binder.
    There's a little sidebar on page 18 of Tome of Magic about making vestiges different and I always loved the idea of incorporating some of the ideas suggested with regular vestiges as well. I mean if Sorcery, Wizardry, Druidism, Theurgy Clerical Magic, and Psionics can all co-exist (with Truenaming and Shadowcasting) why can't 'I make pacts with entities outside of reality' and 'I make pacts with angelic entities' and 'I make pacts with Red Fel the Prince of Imps' also coexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Zaydos, you did it again. That right there is a wonderful piece of slaughter.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    Oh, I like this. It almost makes me want to play a Binder just to use this. ... Almost. (I love the Binder's flavor, but for the life of me, I'm never able to enjoy actually playing the class.) Thank you for the wonderful present, Zaydos.
    I need to look into the PF version (Radiance House's Occultist). I looked at it a little before and it looked like it fixed a lot of the problems I have with how vestiges were designed (the 8 level system and Improved Binding are horrible design decisions as the first just makes them scale awkwardly, and the latter makes it so everything ultimately has to be designed as 'functions 2 levels lower at the cost of a feat' which makes them scale even more awkwardly). Add in that you don't get your second vestige till 8th level

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    I keep trying to come up with ideas for a vestige based on Marlowe's Planetouched characters, but I can't pull anything coherent together...

Regardless, I'm here.

Zaydos, the Peanut Dragon

Vestige Level: 3rd

Legend: It's a peanut. It's a dragon. Do the math.
    I'm more than a peanut and a dragon. I'm also a lich... I mean a dracolich. I am not a dragon lich. I'm a dracolich... I mean there are other peanut dragons (in theory).

Manifestation: A number of small shoots and vines burst forth from the ground and twist into the shape of a small dragon. A pair of peanuts sprout from the vines in positions reminiscent of eyes, and the resulting effigy silently awaits your bargain.

Sign: Your skin is covered in rough scales, like the shell of a peanut, and the hair on top of your head turns green.

Influence: While under Zaydos's influence, you have difficulty resisting invitations to participate in creative or artistic activities. When presented with such an invitation, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + your Wisdom modifier) to turn down the invitation.
    Odd for an influence to force a save (normally it's 'do X or suffer a -1 stacking penalty on attacks, saves, and checks'). That said I like that influence, even if my artistic skills are less than 0.

Granted Powers: Those who dare to bind Zaydos have at their disposal the massive untapped power of the peanut.

-snippety for length-
    Is the peanut glob supposed to be 1/5 rounds? It's odd for a vestige not to have one, and with it at-will I'd say probably should be 4th or 5th level (Focalor {3rd} gives the penalties of sickened passively to creatures adjacent to you, but this is also save or lose 1d4 rounds, the fast healing is better than Buer's {4th} but limited to daylight which more than makes up for the difference. It gives a much better AC bonus than Dahvler-Nar {2nd} in that it stacks fully with enhancement bonuses and is twice as good if you lack actual natural armor already). With it 1/5 rounds it fits in pretty well with other 3rd level vestiges with a focus on passive defense (difficult terrain, AC, hard to move, fast healing) and a ranged offense which can shut down an enemy temporarily. Apparently I can't read.

Altogether it looks fun, though. To note Icky Sticky is my favorite ability it gets. And now I almost want to play a binder.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-02 at 12:32 AM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

But a red dragon who binds him already has fire breath, and now they get new extra abilities. More seriously Draconium is always getting given a breath weapon it feels cheep and uninspired to do it too often, got to be able to do red dragon without the crutch of 'fire breath' sometimes. There is more to a red dragon than its breath weapon. Besides there's already a vestige for breath weapon.
    1) Yes, so he can have 2 fire breaths and be cycling them.
    2) Most binders aren't dragons.
    3) At least 3 breath weapons, actually. That means it's almost unusual to not have a breath weapon.
    4) Could hurt, as long as you have many other interesting abilities, like the treasure sense (which I like a whole lot). I mean you did add a straight up "x stat to y" damage ability.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-30 at 12:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm more than a peanut and a dragon. I'm also a lich... I mean a dracolich. I am not a dragon lich. I'm a dracolich... I mean there are other peanut dragons (in theory).
    Well, those are peanut dragons, but you're the Peanut Dragon.

Odd for an influence to force a save (normally it's 'do X or suffer a -1 stacking penalty on attacks, saves, and checks'). That said I like that influence, even if my artistic skills are less than 0.
    I think the stacking -1 is a poorly designed mechanic, especially with how many directly conflicting influences there are in ToM. Vestige influences should IMO have a chance to compel you into certain actions with a poor pact, or provide bonuses for willingly taking certain actions with a good pact.

Is the peanut glob supposed to be 1/5 rounds? It's odd for a vestige not to have one, and with it at-will I'd say probably should be 4th or 5th level (Focalor {3rd} gives the penalties of sickened passively to creatures adjacent to you, but this is also save or lose 1d4 rounds, the fast healing is better than Buer's {4th} but limited to daylight which more than makes up for the difference. It gives a much better AC bonus than Dahvler-Nar {2nd} in that it stacks fully with enhancement bonuses and is twice as good if you lack actual natural armor already). With it 1/5 rounds it fits in pretty well with other 3rd level vestiges with a focus on passive defense (difficult terrain, AC, hard to move, fast healing) and a ranged offense which can shut down an enemy temporarily.
    Gyah! Thanks for catching that, Quite a Mouthful was indeed meant to be 1/5 rounds. Fixed.

Regarding the vestige level, I feel like it would either be a mediocre 4th or a strong 3rd. There's already ten 4th-level vestiges from WotC, so I decided to err on the side of slightly-overpowered.

Altogether it looks fun, though. To note Icky Sticky is my favorite ability it gets. And now I almost want to play a binder.
    Yus! I'm glad you like it. The Binder is... odd. I find both the 3.5 ToM and the PF Radiance House versions of pact magic kinda underwhelming - ToM because of the long wait for multiple vestiges, the 8-level weirdness, and the Improved Binding weirdness, Radiance House because constellation aspects are near-worthless and a lot of the spirits have abilities that seem pretty lackluster - but it's a system with a lot of potential and nigh-limitless room for homebrew, so it has a special place in my cold, blackened heart.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

1) Yes, so he can have 2 fire breaths and be cycling them.
    2) Most binders aren't dragons.
    3) At least 3 breath weapons, actually. That means it's almost unusual to not have a breath weapon.
    4) Could hurt, as long as you have many other interesting abilities, like the treasure sense (which I like a whole lot). I mean you did add a straight up "x stat to y" damage ability.
    Alright you've got me, I justed wanted to do something other than 'dragon slap breath weapon on it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Well, those are peanut dragons, but you're the Peanut Dragon.
    I still don't quite know how that happened.

I think the stacking -1 is a poorly designed mechanic, especially with how many directly conflicting influences there are in ToM. Vestige influences should IMO have a chance to compel you into certain actions with a poor pact, or provide bonuses for willingly taking certain actions with a good pact.
    Touche.

Gyah! Thanks for catching that, Quite a Mouthful was indeed meant to be 1/5 rounds. Fixed.
    Ok so I can read.

Regarding the vestige level, I feel like it would either be a mediocre 4th or a strong 3rd. There's already ten 4th-level vestiges from WotC, so I decided to err on the side of slightly-overpowered.
    Yeah it's definitely a strong lv 3, but it's still a debate compared to Focalor or Paimon, and like them I actually prefer it to most of the ToM 4th level vestiges (I'm not glancing through all the web enhancement vestiges making vestiges right now so I can't remember them well enough) but I don't like most of the 4th level vestiges.

Yus! I'm glad you like it. The Binder is... odd. I find both the 3.5 ToM and the PF Radiance House versions of pact magic kinda underwhelming - ToM because of the long wait for multiple vestiges, the 8-level weirdness, and the Improved Binding weirdness, Radiance House because constellation aspects are near-worthless and a lot of the spirits have abilities that seem pretty lackluster - but it's a system with a lot of potential and nigh-limitless room for homebrew, so it has a special place in my cold, blackened heart.
    The Radiance House still sounds easier to fix with homebrew, though I don't remember how the constellation aspects even worked so I might be wrong. That said I'd be lying if I didn't agree that pact magic has a lot of potential and nigh-limitless room for homebrew, giving it a special place in my rather warm... I mean cold, very cold, and shriveled heart. I do not keep my heart in a volcano.

Current Projects:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Permission granted.
    It that Forgot and was Forgotten (ryu)

The nature of It that Forgot and was Forgotten is difficult to ascertain for almost all traces of them even as a vestige are forgotten almost as soon as they pass by.

Vestige Level: 8th.
    Binding DC: 35
    Special: To know about It that Forgot and was Forgotten requires 18 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), Bardic Knowledge as a 15th level bard, or Lore as a 15th level cloistered cleric/loremaster/bard. This is not a requirement to bind ItFawF, but to remember it exists in the first place.

Legend: It that Forgot and was Forgotten is a being that has been all but entirely forgotten. What is known is that It forgot what it was, and whispered rumors that Vecna may have been involved.

Manifestation: It that Forgot and was Forgotten does not appear before the pact maker. There is just a mere sense of presence and then nothing as it withdraws back to observe the would be binder. If the pact is successfully made that presence returns flowing into the pact maker.

Sign: While showing It that Forgot and was Forgotten’s sign your face becomes frozen and unemotive.

Influence: While under It that Forgot and was Forgotten’s influence you may not reveal to other creatures any information about yourself. In addition ItFawF’s forgetting of themselves affects you as well, while under ItFawF’s influence you must not willingly remember your own personal information.

Granted Powers:

Constant Alertness: While ItFawF is bound you are never surprised or flat-footed as a sixth sense warns you of danger. In addition you gain a +6 insight bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Contingent Planning: While ItFawF is bound you can spend 10 minutes to create a contingency plan. This functions as the spell Contingency but instead of placing a spell upon yourself you place a course of action which must be able to be completed by you with a single attack action, move action, or a standard action to use a vestige’s granted ability (you must have the appropriate vestige bound). This action is immediately taken when the Contingency would be triggered, and once it is triggered it is lost until you make another contingency plan. You may only have one contingency plan at once.

Emotionless Visage: While ItFawF is bound and you show its sign Sense Motive checks made against you suffer a -8 penalty due to the total inscrutability of your face. However you suffer a -4 penalty to Charisma checks, and Charisma based skill checks to interact with other creatures.

Focused Forgetfulness: While ItFawF is bound as a standard action you may make a single creature within 20 ft per binder level forget you exist. The target must make a Will save or forget all it knows about you, and become unable to perceive you for 1 round per binder level. If you attack the target or touch the target they are able to perceive you once more but they still do not remember who you are. This is a mind-affecting effect. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Freed from Fate’s Weave: While ItFawF is bound to you, you gain immunity to divination spells cast against you, and divination spells not directly cast upon you do not give information about you; you still show up in Scrying spells that would show your area (though they must target someone near you and not you).

Inevitable Betrayal: While ItFawF is bound to you flat-footed creatures, creatures denied their Dexterity bonus against you due to being unable to see you, or creatures unaware of your presence suffer a -2 penalty on saving throws against your spells and abilities.

Paranoia Surge: While ItFawF is bound to you, you may take a 2nd immediate action within a round (the first one still uses your next round’s swift action, the 2nd does not). Once you do so you must wait 5 rounds before doing so again.

For Contractors: Pyre of Fantasy (homebrew invocation).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-02 at 12:33 AM.

Current Projects: