New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1154 - The Discussion Thread

Ooh, the super cool weapon reveal. That's so nice, and Durkon really relishing holding that hammer is awesome.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but other dwarves must have already known of the existence of the secret conpartment via their Stonecunning ability. Wouldn't be surprising if other clerics of Thor already knew of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but other dwarves must have already known of the existence of the secret conpartment via their Stonecunning ability. Wouldn't be surprising if other clerics of Thor already knew of it.
    I think it only provides a bonus to the related checks, and the compartment could have a very high DC to find and/or be concealed with magic.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    It's specifically called out as something the dwarves forgot about a long time ago so....

But really, what does that matter?

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think it only provides a bonus to the related checks, and the compartment could have a very high DC to find and/or be concealed with magic.
    In addition to a (relatively small) bonus it also allows any dwarf that get within 10 ft to make a search check as through they were actively searching.
    However given how few skill points clerics get, and the fact that search is a cross class skill for them, it's pretty likely that none of them invested enough into it to discover the compartment if it is well made.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    In addition to a (relatively small) bonus it also allows any dwarf that get within 10 ft to make a search check as through they were actively searching.
    However given how few skill points clerics get, and the fact that search is a cross class skill for them, it's pretty likely that none of them invested enough into it to discover the compartment if it is well made.
    That too, plus the fact that hidden secrets tend to be really well hidden; it might even be magically concealed.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe the reason this particular artifact was forgotten is because the Belt of Giant Strength needed to wield it was lost? As Tarquin said, "Power I can't access is no Power at all."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Now Durkon's cooking with THUNDERBOLTS

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

i just pictured thor's entrance with the axe

10. - Top - End - #340

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Those guys are pretty good. I also like the guys who sing Durin's Hymn.
    I was thinking more of the Skyrim choir, but this works too.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    Clerics are really starved for skill points. I remember early Durkon complaining he barely had points to put into Knowledge:Religion. I'm pretty sure your average Thor cleric's Search score is barely enough to find his own behind.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground

Oooh, a shiny new hammer! And the code I can't even :D
    Is this the thing that Thor whispered to Durkon about in the 1146 strip, right?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Maybe the reason this particular artifact was forgotten is because the Belt of Giant Strength needed to wield it was lost? As Tarquin said, "Power I can't access is no Power at all."
    If so, this may that mean Durkon will be asking Roy to lend him the belt Roy's currently wearing.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #344

AssassinGuy

Forgive me if this has already been said, but I think the 5th panel has a nice touch with the perspective, showing the hammer of the statue in the foreground. I don't know if it was intentional, probably.

Rich has been playing with the perspective lately. It's quite a feat for a stick figure comic. Nice!

15. - Top - End - #345

Holy gear upgrade Batman!

16. - Top - End - #346

RedSorcererGirl

So... what the super hell is Belkar's deep V comment referencing? I tried googling deep V but it's some kind of shirt, so I wasn't sure if he was referring to something vaarsuvius did or wore that i forgot about or what. It can't be the Darth V outfit because that looked completely different.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Icewolf View Post
    So... what the super hell is Belkar's deep V comment referencing? I tried googling deep V but it's some kind of shirt, so I wasn't sure if he was referring to something vaarsuvius did or wore that i forgot about or what. It can't be the Darth V outfit because that looked completely different.
    The rip in the fabric of Durkon's robes ressemble that cut of clothes.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #348

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Icewolf View Post
    It's the cloth. Defector-Vampire Durkon tore his robe pretty much down to his waist to ensure a clean strike for Belkar. Hence, deep-V.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Very cool reveal. I'd guessed that the forgotten secret would be new magic gear for Durkon, but I figured it would be armor, since he so pointedly needed a replacement. Close, but no cigar.

Re: "ruminant boob drippings" (gross, Blackwing! ), I wonder what ruminants dwarves are actually able to keep, to get milk from? The answer might be "none, they trade for it", but it got me wondering whether any domesticated milkable animals could be kept underground.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Furious J View Post
    Very cool reveal. I'd guessed that the forgotten secret would be new magic gear for Durkon, but I figured it would be armor, since he so pointedly needed a replacement. Close, but no cigar.

Re: "ruminant boob drippings" (gross, Blackwing! ), I wonder what ruminants dwarves are actually able to keep, to get milk from? The answer might be "none, they trade for it", but it got me wondering whether any domesticated milkable animals could be kept underground.
    Well, these dwarves at least don't seem to spend 100% of their lives underground, for one. Also, I don't know if OotS uses them, but in the Underdark, there's a buffalo-like animal called a rothe or something like that, so that's an option too.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Furious J View Post

Mountain goats, I would guess.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This is D&D. It's a subterranean race, so they would clearly use Deep Cows. Also there's even odds the milk would be Evil.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #353
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Well, these dwarves at least don't seem to spend 100% of their lives underground, for one. Also, I don't know if OotS uses them, but in the Underdark, there's a buffalo-like animal called a rothe or something like that, so that's an option too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Both good explanations. Wondering: finished.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This is D&D. It's a subterranean race, so they would clearly use Deep Cows.
    **laughs** Favourite answer, and now I want to throw a herd of Deep Cows into the next subterranean dungeon my party runs through.
    Last edited by Furious J; 2019-02-01 at 08:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

This is D&D. It's a subterranean race, so they would clearly use Deep Cows. Also there's even odds the milk would be Evil.
    ...you're not talking about rothe, right?

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

...you're not talking about rothe, right?
    No, I'm mocking the Underdark. Deep Cows are like cows, except they have a greyish coloration, are Evil, have Darkvision, and can cast Detect Grass at will.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-01 at 11:40 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #356

While y'all are so focused on the hammer...

WHAT ABOUT THE GLOVES?

(honestly, didn't read up, so maybe you guys weren't so focused on the hammer ;) )
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    While y'all are so focused on the hammer...

WHAT ABOUT THE GLOVES?

(honestly, didn't read up, so maybe you guys weren't so focused on the hammer ;) )
    Gloves of Ogre Strength made of nonconductive silk, why?
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #358
    Colossus in the Playground

No, I'm mocking the Underdark. Deep Cows are like cows, except they have a greyish coloration, are Evil, have Darkviision, and can cast Detect Grass at will.
    The Dragon Magazine strips had a hilarious rant from V on the subject of the Underdark putting the "Deep" prefix on everything.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #359

Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
    It's a fairly small bonus. Passive search is nice, but a nat 20 on a skill check isn't an automatic success. Search is int based, and dwarves don't get a bonus to int, and their favored classes (cleric and fighter, apparently) aren't classes that are likely to dump a lot into int. We have seen very few int-class dwarves, if any.

A typical secret door has a DC of 20. I don't think this secret godly weapon has a mere " typical" secret door. If we look at the dungeon rules:

Secret Doors

Disguised as a bare patch of wall (or floor, or ceiling), a bookcase, a fireplace, or a fountain, a secret door leads to a secret passage or room. Someone examining the area finds a secret door, if one exists, on a successful Search check (DC 20 for a typical secret door to DC 30 for a well-hidden secret door). Elves have a chance to detect a secret door just by casually looking at an area.

Many secret doors require a special method of opening, such as a hidden button or pressure plate. Secret doors can open like normal doors, or they may pivot, slide, sink, rise, or even lower like a drawbridge to permit access. Builders might put a secret door down low near the floor or high up in a wall, making it difficult to find or reach. Wizards and sorcerers have a spell, phase door, that allows them to create a magic secret door that only they can use.
    A well-hidden secret door has a DC of 30. Even with the dwarf bonus, 5 ranks in search, synergy bonus from knowledge, a 10 int dwarf would be unable to detect that.

And I mean, technically, the search DC is up to the crafter. A godly relic might demand even better than "well-hidden". The DC could be 40 or higher. Dwarfs do also get a +2 to craft with stone. And there's synergy bonus possible there. Maybe they set the DC all the way to 50+?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

30. - Top - End - #360

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If so, this may that mean Durkon will be asking Roy to lend him the belt Roy's currently wearing.
    Yeah, that's what I am thinking.