New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

Except, they are Epic Weapons. They are probably what epic weapons should have been more like.

And so what if some aren't epic while others are. Some weapons are simple when others are exotic.

These aren't all even meant to be balanced with each other, some will be more powerful than others.

I say, keep the +6. It fits the flavour perfectly with some of them.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Moonshine on the Firewater

A weapon made, decanted and/or brewed by the ever drunk The Capone, Moonshine on the Firewater has been a blade he gifts to his champions from time to time, normally only if they can win the Taberna ludis ultimum ebrius militia. Or, the The tavern games of ultimate drunken warfare, a two part massive drinking contest and free for all barbrawl.

The blade has three known powers, and all are activated by drinking booze. The first power is the Drunkards Blade. Only requiring the wielder to drink 3 pints of booze in the last 30 minuites, foes struck with the blade must make a DC (10+1/2 Wilders HD+Number of times struck) or be treated as having failed a booze saving throw.

The second power is somewhat... odd. Requiring the wielder to drink 10 pints before it's use, they may use the BAR FIGHT!!!!! power. Everytrhing in 1 mile is affected by a song of discord, and must make a DC (20+1/2 HD+Cha mod) fort saving throw or be smashed. Instead of being knocked out, they fight. All damage delt is non-lethal.

The last power has only been invoked ONCE, but more then a few have tried. In order to activate Booze Tsunami the wielder must consume a massive 6,666,666 pints of ale in a one hour sitting. Makes sense that the last one to invoke it died of Liver and Kidney disenigration. It allows the wielder to use a modifed form of Verdigris Tsunami, where instead of plant growth, it is a tidal wave of pure booze.

Moonshine of the Firewater is considered a +2 dagger.

So, this one look good?
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Except, they are Epic Weapons. They are probably what epic weapons should have been more like.

And so what if some aren't epic while others are. Some weapons are simple when others are exotic.

These aren't all even meant to be balanced with each other, some will be more powerful than others.

I say, keep the +6. It fits the flavour perfectly with some of them.
    Because assuming you're playing and you get the +5 weapon worth 75,000 gp while your buddy gets the +6 worth 800,000 gp. It's a major jump in price. This is for balance. Either they are all +5 or they are all +6. I personally don't care, but legendary weapons should be balanced against one another for fairness. That doesn't mean they have to be the same but they should be in the same ballpark.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Because assuming you're playing and you get the +5 weapon worth 75,000 gp while your buddy gets the +6 worth 800,000 gp. It's a major jump in price. This is for balance. Either they are all +5 or they are all +6. I personally don't care, but legendary weapons should be balanced against one another for fairness. That doesn't mean they have to be the same but they should be in the same ballpark.

Debby
    By having them at different levels it gives a range of which levels you could obtain them without destroying the game. If every Legendary Weapon is the same, the levels you can obtain legendary weapons are amazingly slim.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Forgive me for being so bold, but where's Zulfiqar? It's not very known, but for any Muslim roleplayer it'd be extremely important.

That said: where's the other legendary weapons? There's a lot of swords, but what about spears? The Thunderbolt Javelin, Gungnir, Gae Bolga, the lance of Longinus (aka the Spear of Destiny)...considering the value of spears in many mythologies, it's a shame that they aren't represented here...
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

My favorite epic weapons actually come from 101 Legendary Weapons of Medieval Europe. Unfortunately Zulfiqar is not in it.

Alas, I'm not familiar enough with its history to do it justice.

Zulfiqar (from what little I've managed to glean) would probably be considered +3 holy vorpal giant bane bifurcated scimitar that does 1d6/18-20/x2 (it does 2d6 additional points of damage to Evil creatures and against Giants ts enhancement increases to +5 and it does an additional 2d6 points of damage).

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite epic weapons actually come from 101 Legendary Weapons of Medieval Europe. Unfortunately Zulfiqar is not in it.
    I tried Googling that and found this. Are you referring to that?

As for Zulfiqar, what legends is that one from, Oskar?

This list makes me want to do something similar for my campaign setting. Hrm.

Why did you end up putting Excalibur on the list, btw? On the first page you said Caledfwlch is another name for it, so you used that one in place of Excalibur, but now I see both names on the list.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll be adding all manner of legendary weapons now that I expanded from Legendary Swords to Legendary Arms.
    And indeed, Gungnir is probably the first non-sword legendary weapon I do (Well, from real myth anyway, 'cuz those four guns are the first XD)

I'm just too damn cold do do anything but read and try to type replies right now. -12°F/-24°C sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Why did you end up putting Excalibur on the list, btw? On the first page you said Caledfwlch is another name for it, so you used that one in place of Excalibur, but now I see both names on the list.

I believe it was requested and/or created by someone else maybe and I added it to the OP like a few other swords (three I think).
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2013-01-05 at 11:25 AM.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    As for Zulfiqar, what legends is that one from, Oskar?
    It's part of the Muslim belief. Zulfiqar is the sword of Ali, Mohammed's son in law and essentially his successor (though it's debated). It's as important to the Muslim as the Spear of Destiny to Christianity or Ama-no-Murakumo/Kusanagi to the Shinto. Without touching the religious tangent, Zulfiqar would be the sword of a mighty caliph (perhaps a god-like noble djinn), well suited for an Al Qadim campaign, and suitably more powerful than the legacy weapon Desert Wind.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Yes, Morph Bark, that's the right link for the product.

Oskar, was my interpretation of Zulfiqar at least in the ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    By having them at different levels it gives a range of which levels you could obtain them without destroying the game. If every Legendary Weapon is the same, the levels you can obtain legendary weapons are amazingly slim.
    Then put them at +6 to +8 rather than from +5 (non-epic) to +6. They scale much better upwards than downwards. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magic...eaponBasePrice

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-01-05 at 11:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Isn't Cortana a sister sword of Joyeuse and Durendal?
    Just checked online and it is allegedly also known as "Curtana" the sword of Mercy. Another name for it appears to be "Courtain" whichever people can decide on, it doesn't appear in your list.

Needs more Japan.
    Juuchi Yosamu (10000 Cold Nights), Muramasa's sword.
    Yawarakai-Te (Gentle Hands), Masamune's sword.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Isn't Cortana a sister sword of Joyeuse and Durendal?
    Just checked online and it is allegedly also known as "Curtana" the sword of Mercy. Another name for it appears to be "Courtain" whichever people can decide on, it doesn't appear in your list.

Needs more Japan.
    Juuchi Yosamu (10000 Cold Nights), Muramasa's sword.
    Yawarakai-Te (Gentle Hands), Masamune's sword.

I'm starting to warm up. Starting on those four blades. (Your three and Zulfiqar)

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey! Don't know if you've seen this. I might suggest the Sword of Attila ("sword of the war god"), Asi ("the creature assumed the form of a blazing, sharp-edged sword"), and Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar ("a charm against magic").
    Last edited by Frathe; 2013-01-05 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Revision/Removal

14. - Top - End - #74

{table=head]Weapon | Damage | Crit | Weight
    Asi | 4d8 | 17-20x6 | 0lbs**
    Attila | 2d4 | 19-20x4 | 4lbs.
    Curtana* | 1d6 | 20x2 | 6lbs
    Juuchi Yosamu | 4d4 | 17-20x4 | 5lbs
    Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar | 1d8 | 20x2 | 7lbs
    Yawarakai-Te | 4d4 | 19-20x3 | 6lbs
    Zulfigar | 2d6 | 17-20x2 | 5lbs
    [/table]
    *: 1d3 for evil characters. 3d6 for good characters. 18-20x3 for good characters. Weighs nothing for good characters.
    **: Asi weighs 10xHD of an evil creature that tries to wield it in addition to dealing 1d6 sacred damage to them.

Zulfiqar
    The Prophet's Blade
    Zulfigar is a moderately sized blade that gracefully curves to a split end, one end curves more subtly while the second is more pronounced. While it appears to be a masterwork, it is other wise normal in appearance. Graceful but humble in it's design.
    Zulfigar provides it's bearer with a deep insight, gaining a Legend bonus to wisdom equal to their HD, and twice that directly to any skill based off wisdom.
    Once per round, Zulfigar can reveal the first attack made against it's bearer, showing how to dodge it. Ignore the first attack made against the bearer per round, unless the bearer would be denied a dodge bonus to AC due to being being bound or helpless.
    Zulfigar is treated as a +4 Scimitar that grants an additional +6 to disarm attempts.

Curtana
    The Merciful Blade
    Curtana in the hands of an evil aligned creature appears to be a delicately worked copper grip and handguard with T shaped pommel. Where the blade would be is instead a jagged shard of metal barely useful for cutting string. In the hands of a Neutral character, the shard extends to form a full size longsword, blunted and with a jagged break where the last four inches of the blade would be. It is treated as a broken longsword, but deals only 1d3 bludgeoning damage.
    In the hands of a Neutral or Lawful Good character, the copper turns to gold and the metal of the blade appears silver rather than steel. The blade becomes three pieces that hover in place with space between, a midsection, tip, and a dagger sized shard from the grip. It is treated as a +6 longsword now.
    Any character that uses the full Curtana can use dominate person at will as an extraordinary ability, as the spell. They can effect up to the bearer's HD at once, and up to 100x that in total control. Any such control is permanent until dispelled or replaced by a different controlled creature.
    Towards evil creatures Curtana can deal an extra d8 damage per HD of the bearer, and deals no damage lethal or nonlethal to any innocent creature (As defined by the DM) in any attack that uses the blade. The blade and any attached effect (Such as a channeled spell or a maneuver) pass right through such creatures.
    Curtana is considered a +6 longsword.

Yawarakai-Te
    The Gentle Blade
    Yawarakai-Te is a long, subtly curved and refined blade stemming from a short and almost flower shaped hand guard before a hand guard wrapped in soft purple silk, crisscrossing down to a simple cap-like pommel. A gentle, smooth wave pattern lines the blade down the center of the blade all the way to the point, separating the lighter bladed portion from the darker blunt portion tinted blue.
    Yawarakai-Te effectively grant's it's bearer several stances. These stances are not for the bearer, but effect the blade itself (They do not count against the bearer's active stance, if any).
    Masamune's Careful Grace; Cut nothing. In this stance, Yawarakai-Te cannot cut anything, wind whistles as it changes it's course around the blade, leaves move around it, Water carefully avoids it. Yawarakai deals no damage, lethal or nonlethal, to anything it touches. Including effects used through the blade. They appear normal, however no damage occurs or special conditions that would be carried through the blade. Holding it defensively grants a deflection bonus to AC equal to the bearer's HD against attacks from the direction the bearer is facing, or what side of the body the blade is on.
    Masamune's Sliding Blade; Slip easy. Similar to grace, however it is refined and careful. Effects glide across the blade, allowing it to slip easily between armor and more easily cut. Yawarakai ignores armor bonuses by up to the bearer's HD, and deals 1 extra damage every two HD. Twice as much against constructs and objects.
    Masamune's Mending Glance; Repair damage. The sliding or careful grace of the blade is channeled more directly, focusing more on binding things back together including flesh and bone. When Yawarakai would deal damage, through it's own bonuses or effects attached to it, it instead heals or repairs that amount of damage.
    Masamune's Ageless Body; Increase longevity. Similar to mending, Yawarakai instead channels this grace within it's bearer's body, causing time to slip carefully by them. They do not age as long as this effect is in place, and twelve minutes thereafter. They take no penalties from aging, and do not die of old age.
    Yawarakai-Te is considered a +5 bastard sword(Katana).

Juuchi Yosamu
    The Relentless Blade
    Juuchi Yosamu is a long, subtly curved and refined blade stemming from a short and almost flower shaped hand guard before a hand guard wrapped in soft dark orange silk, crisscrossing down to a simple cap-like pommel. A jagged, sharp pattern runs down the center of the blade all the way to the point, separating the lighter bladed portion from the darker blunt portion tinted red.
    Juuchi Yosamu effectively grant's it's bearer several stances. These stances are not for the bearer, but effect the blade itself (They do not count against the bearer's active stance, if any).
    Muramasa's Sundering Glance; Sunder and ignore Hardless/Armor bonus. In this stance, Yosamu's energies are violent, and lash out at all beside the blade. It's relentless assault on the very bindings that make up the world allow it to cut with vicious ease. Yosamu ignores hardness, damage reduction, and armor bonuses to AC. Any object besides the weapon's sheath or the flesh of it's bearer that comes in contact with the blade are considered sundered. It deals 1d6 extra damage per HD against any creature or object, and deals this damage at merely a touch, without force behind it.
    Muramasa's Chilling Blade; Cold and necrotic drain. When Yosamu deals any amount of damage to a creature, they suffer the effects of cold weather at -5F degrees below zero. This lasts 1d3 days, any who touch the body feel this chill as well. In addition, they take 1d3 negative energy damage for 1d4 rounds after contact. This is an extraordinary effect and cannot be dispelled or "cured", but conditions that lessen the effects of cold weather apply normally.
    Muramasa's Threatening Grace; Intimidate as attack. Yosamu let's it's violence and thirst for blood leek out, detectable to those who see the blade and bearer. The bearer can make an intimidate check with a +5 legend bonus as part of any attack made with the blade. While active, it's bearer can make this same check against the DC of any fear effect instead of a normal will save, if they wish.
    Muramasa's Empty Grave; Shun death. Yosamu's relentless cutting ability is channeled inward, severing the bonds of mortality ceaselessly. While active the bearer of Yosamu cannot die of old age, but still takes the penalties of aging though retaining visual appearance. They also do not die until destroyed at -10 HP and cannot be rendered unconscious from physical damage. They are immune to nonlethal damage and gain fast healing 1/2HD that stacks with other forms of fast healing.
    Juuchi Yosamu is considered a +5 bastard sword(Katana).

Attila
    The Savage Blade
    Attila is a grey steel blade, short in length but fairly wide with a dark leather wrapped hilt.
    Attila may seem unremarkable, but it grant's it's bearer with increased fighting capability. Their BaB becomes full when in possession of Attila, and gain a legend bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to the bearer's charisma modifier. The bearer, in addition, has a legend bonus to AC equal to the attack roll of an assailant.
    It is a jealous and spiteful blade however. Any who touch the blade, save for if they were on the receiving end of an attack from it, but do not wield it take a luck penalty to all rolls that increases by the month. This luck penalty is extraordinary and cannot be dispelled except by a miracle spell. The penalty is at first only -1, but doubles each month. This penalty applies to the bearer of the blade if they ever lose or get rid of it. Penalties are removed if they possess the blade again at a later time.
    Attila is considered a +3 short sword.

Asi
    The Judgement Blade
    Asi is a larger blade, a greatsword, it's grip is sturdy with misty wrappings and a broad hand guard. It's pommel is shaped as a sun with a brilliant ruby the size of a baby's fist set within it. The blade itself is fairly wide at the base and curves inward and outward several times along it's length. Each oval section has inscribed within it the name of the three most prominent Lawful Good deities or celestial races of the realm it resides in. The blade always appears to be glowing red as though freshly pulled from a fire and is alight in golden flames.
    Asi has the ability to slay evil creatures and deliver it's judgement. Asi ignores any damage resistance, natural armor bonuses, and cancels regeneration and fast healing of any evil creature it attacks. Fast healing and regeneration remains canceled until recovered with a Wish spell, Miracle spells cannot restore it as the divine energy is blocked, or the creature becomes good aligned.
    When Asi slays a creature it can be subject to the atonement spell with an instant duration. If they accept, they do not die but remain at 1hp and have their alignment changed to any good. If they do not accept, they are slain and prevented from being raised as though a wish spell was cast. The body burns and becomes ash, or becomes solidified into statue form, and their spirit or life force is shattered, breaking apart and rejoining the cycle of creation to form new spiritual energies elsewhere. Should the wish barring the creature's resurrection be overcome, the creature's soul will still never rise again and a new spirit takes it's place.
    Asi is considered a +8 greatsword.

Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar
    The Emerald Blade
    Shamshir-e is a thin and ornate blade crafted from delicate silver and set with dozens of emeralds contrasted with a few small rubies. Gold trimmings highlight the blade's features. It is curved in a shallow S shape, it's sheath as ornate as the weapon itself. It's silvery blade similarly is embedded with emeralds down it's center.
    Shamshir-e is entirely functional for combat despite appearing entirely ceremonial in nature. Each emerald is charged with energies and intent, the blade grant's it's owner spell resistance of 16+ it's HD, and can be used to mark an area with antimagic fields. Cutting the four corners of a square room would render the room effected by an Antimagic field. Creating a line in the sand or dirt before you will effect a 5ft wide, 5ft high, 1inch thick area in front of you serving as an antimagic wall, blocking what Antimagic field would block that passes through it.
    Antimagic effects last as long as the mark lasts. A line in the sand could be broken by erasing the mark, or if left alone in 24 hours. Meanwhile a mark set in stone can last centuries.
    Shamshir-e has the ability to ignore any effect on a target's AC that stems from an effect Antimagic would block.
    Shamshir-e is considered a +6 longsword.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2013-01-06 at 04:31 PM.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #75

Fragarach and Dyrnwyn?

Sorry if I'm suggesting too much; I'm just trying to be helpful.

I think you typed Zulfigar instead of Zulfiqar a few times.
    Last edited by Frathe; 2013-01-05 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Addition

16. - Top - End - #76

Those are beautiful, I'll be sure to include at least one of them in the next campaign.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Frathe View Post
    Fragarach and Dyrnwyn?

Sorry if I'm suggesting too much; I'm just trying to be helpful.

I think you typed Zulfigar instead of Zulfiqar a few times.
    Both are already made. Fragarach is the reason this thread exists.

Did I? Maybe. I'll nip it.
    Those are beautiful, I'll be sure to include at least one of them in the next campaign.
    Yay~
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2013-01-05 at 09:16 PM.

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #78

Oh, sorry. I should've checked that. They were too good to not be taken.

These are very nice, by the way.

Are you gonna add the more recent suggestions to the OP?
    Last edited by Frathe; 2013-01-05 at 10:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Frathe View Post
    Are you gonna add the more recent suggestions to the OP?
    Nope. First post is full. New legendary swords go in that post, linked from the OP.

Legendary Arms would keep going to the second post as normal until they as well require an extension.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I find it a tad absurd that you have weapons that weigh nothing. What are they made from? If these were mithral the weight would be half normal.

Debby

21. - Top - End - #81

I find it a tad absurd that you have weapons that weigh nothing. What are they made from? If these were mithral the weight would be half normal.

Debby

They're legendary weapons, if one weighs nothing it's part of it's effect.

My Homebrew