New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Simulation Sickness, anyone else?

I've not been able to stay current in the realm of video games.
    I can't play any first person games and some 3rd person games because it sets off brutal motion sickness.

Does anyone else suffer from this and know of any remedies?
    Am I forever doomed to be unable to play Skyrim or Halo or any of its clones?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Simulation Sickness, anyone else?

Only when I used to watch someone else play. Happened with Doom II and Half-Life e.g. Not so much lately , but it's ages since I watched someone play stuff like it. I do still get slight vertigo in certian games when jmpign off cliffs and such. It's quite intriguing. Talk about getting being imemrsed in the game. That's probably your problem too.

Motion sickness, as I understand, occurs because of a disconnect between what visual inputs tells you and what your motion sensing tells your brain. So at sea, you can't see the changes but your sense of balance does.

For video games the opposite would be true, your visual sensors are saying you are moving around, but the balance sense says nu-uh you big fat liar!

Presumably, one can alleviate both types the same way.

Mythbusters tested gingerroot as an "old housewives remedy", and it definitely seemed to help. Apparently there are gingerroot pills.

For actual motion sickness at sea I've personally found trying to visually follow the motion along a bit helps a great deal. This may not be as practical for gaming.

Lastly, can ofc try actual motion sickness cures. There are some low level ones, I think the patches e.g. that aren't as powerful as straigth up drugs.

I would definitely try the gingerroot first though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I would definitely try the gingerroot first though.
    I'll definitely try that.
    It's really bad for me.
    I can't get past the intro to Skyrim before my head is splitting and I want to die.
    I've got other games that I've manage to play through much of but then come to a part where the camera moves a certain way and I have to just stop playing.
    I never finished Arkham City, Infamous 1 & 2, or The 3rd Uncharted because of this. All incomplete and sitting on my shelf.

It's really one of the worst feelings headache/illness wise that I've ever felt and I've had migraines before, lol.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, I almost forgot. Apparently old age dulls the motion sensing ability too. Guess you could always wait...

And brain trauma. But that seems like a rather harsh step to take.

I think I actually puked watching my brother play Half-life. Or was close to at any rate.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-11-01 at 08:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkarts View Post
    I've not been able to stay current in the realm of video games.
    I can't play any first person games and some 3rd person games because it sets off brutal motion sickness.

Does anyone else suffer from this and know of any remedies?
    Am I forever doomed to be unable to play Skyrim or Halo or any of its clones?
    Field of View is my bane. I can't play any game with a low one. Luckily, I've yet to find a game where I can't change it to something acceptable, either through the options, or by editing an ini.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, I almost forgot. Apparently old age dulls the motion sensing ability too. Guess you could always wait...

And brain trauma. But that seems like a rather harsh step to take.

I think I actually puked watching my brother play Half-life. Or was close to at any rate.
    lol, then I'm just screwed, lol.
    I'm 43 and I have epilepsy due to a growth in my brain(Not strobe light sensitive, thankfully)
    If I still cant play then I probably never will, lol.
    Alas, my dreams of being an E-sports or DRL champion will never be.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Field of View is my bane. I can't play any game with a low one. Luckily, I've yet to find a game where I can't change it to something acceptable, either through the options, or by editing an ini.
    I wonder if that's my issue.
    It's worse in tunnels.
    Thats why I can't finish Arkham City, There is a portion of the game where you play as Catwoman. You have to navigate a series of air ducts, very narrow. I can't play through this portion of the game. I'm on the floor as soon as she starts crawling.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I definitely would look into FOV, because that's what's been the main cause for me. I rarely suffer from this kind of motion sickness, but there are some 3 games where that's happened, and changing FOV was the solution.

The surprise for me were the Half Life expansions. I played HL without any problem, years later I tried the expansions, and started feeling nauseous. I changed the FOV, which solved the problem, but it would reset after every game. Much to my surprise, after a few days, I forgot to change FOV because I had no problem any more.

The one game that made me feel sick immediately and consistently was Shadow Warrior. Between the FOV and the extremely fluid camera movement, I couldn't last longer than a few minutes. It wasn't the original version, but some revamp of the old game with the same graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I suffer from it too and I found that turning down the mouse sensitivity really helps.

I don't suffer from it as badly on consoles either, mostly for this reason (joypads don't let the camera swing around as fast as a mouse).

Aside from increasing FOV, headbob is another option that immediately gets turned off.

I've also heard tell that limiting the framerate can also help, but my computer is far from powerful enough to test this (I'm lucky to get more than 30fps, never mind need the suggested 60fps cap).

For actual motion sickness at sea I've personally found trying to visually follow the motion along a bit helps a great deal. This may not be as practical for gaming.
    Depends on what you're doing. I've found myself involuntarily leaning sideways and forwards while playing Warframe, a game known for its speed and mobility of its parkour, despite being a third person shooter.

I've also found myself instinctively ducking during Mount and Blade Warband when an arrow whistles too close to my character's head.

Personally, I think any real movement helps the body compensate when playing a game, but don't try to copy the full range of movement!
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-11-08 at 01:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I get some of these too. Tried playing one of the new Deus Ex games, kept getting headaches. I suppose i could try to adjust the FoV...but I've got so many other games demanding my attention.

it's weird because i never had this problem with say, Doom or Duke Nukem 3D.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

You're not alone, here's a good video on it with some ideas for dealing with it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The original Doom did this to me, a bit, but nothing else usually does, or if it does start it's usually so mild I can struggle through it, I think it's become less bad over the years.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

It only happened once: half-life 2, the riverboat section.

to the amusement of my flatmates, my motion sickness kicked in and I ended up running to the toilet and hurling.

much lighthearted ribbing ensued.

Never happened before or after but I'll always remember the day Gordon Freeman made me puke.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have to add a title I had forgotten about: Alan Wake. Alan Wake is a writer who looks to the right while running to the left. I have no idea why the developers thought that this was a good idea. See how it works: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLDfUvl1seM

The result is that I left the game, because it made me feel sick even after I stopped playing. Just running in a straight line is jarring, but turning around while noving is much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Increasing the field of view could also help: https://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why...n-do-about-it/

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkarts View Post
    I can't get past the intro to Skyrim before my head is splitting and I want to die.
    The intro to Skyrim is apparently terrible for this. Moving sideways outside your own control and with a restricted viewing angle. They even left it in for the VR version, which affected even people that don't normally have problems. I don't know if the rest of the game would be better, but it might improve once you can get the camera switched to third person. You could get someone else to save the game after the intro or install a mod to remove it. I also just found this mod that claims to help a bit.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-11-10 at 06:16 PM.