New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,495 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

I'd be okay with living in the back of a solar-powered self-driving van?

Just keep driving around the country only stopping when I want or need to.

That's obviously not viable in real life for a thousand and one reasons, but...

Honestly, that's a thing with me. I'd like to live forever, I'd like to be a dragon, and I'd like to have a place for my stuff and the ability to live a life without everyday stress.

Island, cottage, back of a van, ghost ship, magic tent that's bigger on the inside, and people don't notice it if I don't want them to, TARDIS...

...Serious question: Would immortality be more palatable if you had equally immortal friends/family and the means to travel to any point in time across infinite parallel realities? Never have to worry about being stranded in a void, never have to worry about running out of things to do.

...Wait, I think I've asked that before.

It's just... No worries, no responsibilities, no deadlines, no anxiety, and existential dread. You're working? You're doing things you want to do for your own fulfillment. Don't feel like doing anything today? That's fine. Wanna go on a long walk and then set up camp at wherever you happened to end up before walking back in the morning? Go for it. Wanna go back in time and watch the original Star Wars on opening night in the theatre?

I find that imagining a situaiton where stress is impossible to be relaxing.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-19 at 07:29 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Honestly, that's a thing with me. I'd like to live forever, I'd like to be a dragon, and I'd like to have a place for my stuff and the ability to live a life without everyday stress.

Island, cottage, back of a van, ghost ship, magic tent that's bigger on the inside, and people don't notice it if I don't want them to, TARDIS...

...Serious question: Would immortality be more palatable if you had equally immortal friends/family and the means to travel to any point in time across infinite parallel realities? Never have to worry about being stranded in a void, never have to worry about running out of things to do.

It's just... No worries, no responsibilities, no deadlines, no anxiety, and existential dread. You're working? You're doing things you want to do for your own fulfillment. Don't feel like doing anything today? That's fine. Wanna go on a long walk and then set up camp at wherever you happened to end up before walking back in the morning? Go for it. Wanna go back in time and watch the original Star Wars on opening night in the theatre?

Serious question: Why do you care how other people value immortality? It shouldn't affect how you value it at all, but you keep trying to rephrase and slightly change things to see if you can get others to agree or find it more palatable. But you don't really need to because it's irrelevant to how you value it.

You don't have to answer, btw, it's fine being rhetorical.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-19 at 07:32 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1473

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Serious question: Why do you care how other people value immortality?
    I believe I've previously stated that if I actually discovered a reliable means of literal immortality I'd be obligated to share it.

There's no point in sharing it if there's no situation where people would want it. You can't force that on people. It's like medicine, even if someone is objectively wrong for refusing treatment they still have the right to.

Beyond that, I in general just like to get a feeling for other people's perspectives on things.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-19 at 07:36 PM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1474

I believe I've previously stated that if I actually discovered a reliable means of literal immortality I'd be obligated to share it.

There's no point in sharing it if there's no situation where people would want it.
    Seven billion people in the world, man. You'd have plenty of takers.
    You can't force that on people. It's like medicine, even if someone is objectively wrong for refusing treatment they still have the right to.
    ....who said anything about forcing it on people? Sharing knowledge doesn't mean forcing people to accept the knowledge.

Also, you would probably be crushed under the weight of the gold from all the Nobel prizes you would get for completely disproving most, if not all, of science.

5. - Top - End - #1475

....who said anything about forcing it on people? Sharing knowledge doesn't mean forcing people to accept the knowledge.
    Ethically it would have to be an all-or-nothing thing: If only some people are immortal, and the existence of immortality is a known phenomenon, then either the immortals would become a ruling class, or they'd be a discriminated-against minority.

Or at least what's what all of human history has taught me. But I'm a cynical ******* so grain of salt.

Of course, I could keep it secret, only share it with my closest friends and then just spend an eternity hanging out with my immortal bros and bro-ettes... But then I'd be letting people die when it was within my power to save their lives and that would probably be the worst posisble thing I could do.

Granted, a form of immortality that isn't viable for mass production, such as an "only certain people can be immortal" or "only so many immortals can exist at once" situation hoarding it becomes less morally reprehensible, but I'm assuming it's not arbitrary for the sake of discussion.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

The amount of other things you'd have to add to make Immortality/invincibility/invulnerability ETC. with no ability for me to turn it off appealing make it such a different question there's no point in me answering.

So, no. I will not take Immortality with no off-switch, even if it means I can never be harmed again, never have to eat or drink again, could exist without issue in the vacuum of space, ETC.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I’d rather not get into another immortality argument, but regarding your first point about driving around the country in a truck, I get the appeal. I like thinking about what I’d do if it didn’t have to work.

Id probably summer in Hull MA and winter in Vermont near the mountains so I could snowboard 100 days a year and just do that until I died.

Hey Peelee how long is the training? If you’re in a hotel I’m assuming the family isn’t coming with, at least for the time being, that’s got to be a little challenging.
    Last edited by Beeftank; 2021-09-19 at 08:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Hey Peelee how long is the training? If you’re in a hotel I’m assuming the family isn’t coming with, at least for the time being, that’s got to be a little challenging.
    29 weeks total. I left yesterday, my toddler kept saying "daddy home?" every time he heard a noise outside the house, and when my wife snuck into his bedroom after he went to sleep to charge his tablet, he piped up and said "here daddy!"

My heart has broken every time she told me this. Thank the seven heavens for cellphone telephone video calls.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wow, that is kind of sad but also very adorable. I’m glad to hear [REDACTED] lets you call home now and then.

10. - Top - End - #1480

Wow, that is kind of sad but also very adorable. I’m glad to hear [REDACTED] lets you call home now and then.
    I think I'm funny. It's absolutely not restricted info. In general, I mean.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Peelee just doesnt want to frighten us all by admitting he now works for the literal alphabet, and will be assuming direct control of all our typos.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1482

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Peelee just doesnt want to frighten us all by admitting he now works for the literal alphabet, and will be assuming direct control of all our typos.
    I can say that I don't work for Google.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah I’m sure it’s not, the redacted thing was just me joking around. I totally respect the whole privacy on the internet thing.

14. - Top - End - #1484

Yeah I’m sure it’s not, the redacted thing was just me joking around. I totally respect the whole privacy on the internet thing.
    Fun fact! If you want to find out what I'll be/where I currently am, all you need to do is become a moderator here. They get all the juicy details.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-19 at 09:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not scared of the Unicode Consortium.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fun fact! If you want to find out what I'll be/where I currently am, all you need to do is become a moderator here. They get all the juicy details.
    Nah I’ll just randomly guess stuff and in 10 years when you let it slip and I’ll be all “ah yes, just as I suspected” even though nothing I guess was even in the ballpark.

Unless that was a serious offer, I’ll totally boss around the peasants moderate this community with my fair yet firm hand.
    Last edited by Beeftank; 2021-09-19 at 09:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with that is anyone with an ulterior motive like that would absolutely not be allowed to be in a position where they could get that resolved.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

18. - Top - End - #1488

Nah I’ll just randomly guess stuff and in 10 years when you let it slip and I’ll be all “ah yes, just as I suspected” even though nothing I guess was even in the ballpark.
    Maybe after I retire, so more like twenty years.
    Unless that was a serious offer, I’ll totally boss around the peasants moderate this community with my fair yet firm hand.
    The admins make the offers/put out the calls. As far as forum staff goes, I'm the low man on the totem pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    The problem with that is anyone with an ulterior motive like that would absolutely not be allowed to be in a position where they could get that resolved.
    It's a feature, not a bug.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-19 at 09:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Troll in the Playground

It's a feature, not a bug.
    Okay, fair, I misspoke when I phrased it as "problem".
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #1490

BlackDragon

My heart has broken every time she told me this. Thank the seven heavens for cellphone telephone video calls.
    Do you not get to go home weekends to visit, or is the travel a bit far even for an American?

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Do you not get to go home weekends to visit, or is the travel a bit far even for an American?
    Call it 1200 KM (which is a bit longer than the real trip, but much nicer for math) if im understanding his point of origin. Thats longer than the longest straight line possible in Great Britain.

In practical terms, this is maybe a 12 hour drive.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-19 at 11:06 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #1492

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Call it 1200 KM (which is a bit longer than the real trip, but much nicer for math) if im understanding his point of origin. Thats longer than the longest straight line possible in Great Britain.

In practical terms, this is maybe a 12 hour drive.
    Ayep.

Also, weekends and nights. The day ends at around 4ish, I hear.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

And that's another job that turns down my candidature for an apprenticeship. If I don't get one for next Thursday, the university won't take me in and it'll be another year without either a job or a university formation, and that I. do. not. want.

Anxiety is kind of eating me up now.

29 weeks total. I left yesterday, my toddler kept saying "daddy home?" every time he heard a noise outside the house, and when my wife snuck into his bedroom after he went to sleep to charge his tablet, he piped up and said "here daddy!"

Oof, that's harsh. How old is he?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Bugbear in the Playground

The page count at which to create a new thread is still 50, right? I've taken the liberty of applying the appropriate black magics to generate a new thread:

Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum-Form-smells-a-Random-Banter-235

25. - Top - End - #1495

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    The page count at which to create a new thread is still 50, right? I've taken the liberty of applying the appropriate black magics to generate a new thread:

Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum-Form-smells-a-Random-Banter-235
    Yep. It's not a deal if they a page or two over fifty, though 50 is still the magic number.