New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Let's Play: Nethergate: Ressurection as the Celts

OK, maybe trying to do a let's play of a game I can't even screenshot wasn't a good idea. I feet like taking a break from SMT anyway. Cogwheel starting a Avernum LP Made me nostalgic for Spiderweb Software's games. So I'm starting a game I've been intending to play for a long time: Nethergate. In particular, I'm playing the slightly retooled version: Nethergate: Resurrection. According to the press release:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nethergate: Resurrection sends the player on an epic adventure in the lands of ancient Britain. Explore deadly dungeons, take on multitudes of quests, and try to rediscover and master the lost art of magic. Play as the powerful Romans or the cunning Celts and experience two entirely different adventures.

Britannia is a land ravaged by war. The natives of this land, the savage Celts, have long been subjugated by the Roman invaders. At last, they have risen up in bloody rebellion. Battles rage across the land. Cities are sacked, the inhabitants massacred. And, lost in the chaos, in the small, forgotten valley of Shadowvale, a plan is being formed.

Soon, a band of barbarians will rediscover the lost secrets of magic. They will find a way to rid their lands of the Romans forever. And you, as the Celtic warriors, will attempt to free your people.

Or you, as the Romans, will attempt to crush them. For the good of the Empire.

Nethergate looks and plays much like Avernum. Indeed, the Resurrection version uses the Blades of Avernum engine. It's a turn-based isometric RPG where you control a party of four Celtic Warriors or Roman Soldiers. Which brings us to a choice: which side to play?

Spoiler
    Show
    The Romans are the best soldiers in the world. They have cheaper access to the various combat skills and exclusive access to Roman Training, which boosts ability with all weapons and improves resistances, all pretty cheaply too. They also can use heavier armour than the Celts. Their chief weakness is limited access to magic. That and most of the people in the game hate them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Celts are much worse as soldiers than the Romans, lacking the Roman's excellent training and cheaper combat skills. They also cannot use rigid armours (a change from the original Nethergate where they couldn't use armour at all). They make up for it with superior access to magic.

So, I put it to you: which side would you rather see me play? (and if anyone wants to do the other side at the same time, that would be even better.)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Let's Play: Nethergate: Ressurection (yes, I do have screenshots this time)

Play Celts because they are far too unrepresented.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2010-04-15 at 08:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play: Nethergate: Ressurection (yes, I do have screenshots this time)

Hm.. Celts, I think. Blowing stuff up with magic, berserking and sidhe. What's not to like?

Note: Never played Nethergate past the demo.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Note: Never played Nethergate past the demo.
    I've never played much further.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Celts. Magic is cool.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Let's Play: Nethergate: Ressurection as the Celts

Celts it is. Based on my prior knowledge of Spiderweb games, I reckon one fighter should be enough, with the rest druids. Dungeons tend to have a lot one-space wide passages and doorways, and having a second fighter still isn't going to be enough meat-shield in open encounters.

Now, names! My party leader will, as always, be Myndes, but I need vaguely celtic-sounding names for the other three. Alternatively I could call them all Bruce, but that would probably get old before too long.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2010-04-16 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added the required link

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Celts it is. Based on my prior knowledge of Spiderweb games, I reckon one fighter should be enough, with the rest druids. Dungeons tend to have a lot one-space wide passages and doorways, and having a second fighter still isn't going to be enough meat-shield in open encounters.

Now, names! My party leader will, as always, be Myndes, but I need vaguely celtic-sounding names for the other three. Alternatively I could call them all Bruce, but that would probably get old before too long.
    Bruce Uno, Bruce Dos and Bruce Tres (I think I got that last one right, not sure).

Nothing is more Celtic than Spanish.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #8

Bruce Uno, Bruce Dos and Bruce Tres
    Now that's just silly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Now that's just silly.
    That's the idea.

Say, how does Nethergate handle classes, again? Was it just tank or druid? Or is there an avernum-esque skill system?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #10

Say, how does Nethergate handle classes, again? Was it just tank or druid? Or is there an avernum-esque skill system?
    It's basically the same system as Avernum.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Eoin, Owen, Oan, Colm, Alec, Lachlan, Malcolm, Ciaran, Cormac, Padraig, Patrick, Rory, Seamus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Eoin, Owen, Oan, Colm, Alec, Lachlan, Malcolm, Ciaran, Cormac, Padraig, Patrick, Rory, Seamus...
    One of these is my name.

It's not Lachlan.

Anyway, in that case, I suggest a bow/healer hybrid, a tool use/melee/whatever other fancy skills hybrid, a tank and a mage. Toss lore skills around as you see fit. I tend to ignore luck.

Yes, that's my standard Avernum party.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

One of these is my name.

It's not Lachlan.
    One of these names is my name.

It is not Lachlan.

However, amongst the other names are the names of two of my cousins. One of them is named, surprise surprise, Lachlan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

14. - Top - End - #14

Party Creation

Spoiler
    Show

I settled on the names Myndes, Bruce, Lachlan and Ciaran. Of the four, Bruce sounds most like a fighter to me so he gets to be the swordsman.

Now, in Avernum I use a fairly standard band of four: Fighter; Thief; Priest; Mage. This is kinda what I am doing here. Except Celts don't get the Tool Use skill, so they have to use magic to open locks. Also, there's no read distinction between mage and priest. So Myndes, Lachlan and Ciaran are all druids

Bruce, as the fighter, goes in slot one. I put almost all his skill points in the basic skills of Strength, Dexterity and Endurance. I give him the traits of Mighty Warrior (he's the only one I've got, so he better be good), and Strong Back ('cause he's the only one with more than 1 strength). Celt 1 comes with some Woodscraft that can't be removed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Myndes, my personal avatar, is the first druid. For some reason Celt 2 gets the most available skill points. Like all my druids, Myndes has 3 ranks of Druidism and all 5 circles, and 4 ranks of intelligence. Unlike the others he has 2 endurance. All my druids have Druid Mastery, Myndes also has Faerie Blood.
    Spoiler
    Show

Lachlan has the Limitless Energy trait, and comes with 2 ranks in barter,
    Spoiler
    Show

while Ciaran has small skill in Herbcraft and a Faerie Familiar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Introduction
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are a young group of warriors, proud members of the Brigantes tribe, in the middle of the isle of Britannia (as the Romans call it).

The Romans came to your isle a few decades earlier, and they never left. These savage conquerors handily defeated tribe after tribe, forcing them to bow to their far distant emperor. The nation of the Brigantes is at the farthest border of their possessions. They call you a client state, and your queen, Cartimandua, obeys them in all things.

Your chief, who has never given you special notice before, takes you to his hut where you meet four warriors you have never seen before. They greet you warmly.

Your chief says, "You are to go with these men. They will take you to the village of Nethergate." You've never heard of it. "Once there, obey their chief as if he were me."

"You have been summoned, young warrior. They asked for you specifically. I know not why. Know this, though. You have the chance to do great things for your people."

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it just me or does it look like I should swap Myndes' and Ciaran's sprites?
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2010-04-16 at 07:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Starting out
    Firstly, I swap Myndes' and Ciaran's sprites (Change Graphic is under the Use Ability menu). This serves the dual purpose of making the sprites better match the portraits and giving my personal avatar's sprite an awesome cloak.

Now, we'll take a look at what we start with. Bruce has an Iron Dagger, some Leather Armour, a Small Wooden Shield and a Healing Draught. Myndes, Lachlan and Ciaran all have an Iron Dagger, a Threadbare Robe, a Healing Draught and an Energy Draught.

Lachlan has the Restore Energy ability from his Limitless Energy trait, and Ciaran has Call Spirit from his Faerie Familiar trait, and also Make a Potion, from his one point in Herbcraft. Not enough to actually make a potion.

All my Druids have the same spells. A character starts with the first three spells in each circle at level one, but only if he can cast them. That's why all the druids have three ranks in each circle.

Health Circle
    • Mild Healing. Basic healing spell.
    • Purge Venom. Weakens poison and disease.
    • Alertness. Cures sleep and paralysis.

War Circle
    • Battle Rage. Makes a character stronger and more accurate.
    • Shielding. Makes a character tougher and more evasive.
    • Lance of Fire. Blasts a single foe with magic.

Beast Circle
    • Call Aid. Summons an animal to aid the party.
    • Serpent's Fang. Poisons 3 enemies.
    • Serpent's Coils. Slows three enemies.

Craft Circle
    • Create Light. Creates light.
    • Piercing Sight. Gives a vision of the area around you, even parts you can't see.
    • Pass Portal. Unlocks doors.

Spirit Circle
    • Disrupt Spirit. Big damage to undead.
    • Sever Seal. Breaks magic seals.
    • Spirit Ceremony. Out of combat healing and curing of the whole party.

With that, I see what I have in my room. A Bronze Helmet, a Wooden Large Shield, a Leather Sling, an Iron Spear, a Fine Small Shield, a Leather Helmet, a Wooden Shield and some Dried Meat. I give Bruce large shield, the metal helm and the sling, and pass around the rest of the shields and the leather helm to the druids.

So I need to find the druid Cormac. But first, I take a look around town

Next to my hut is the trainer's place. Bituitus is a Roman deserter who is willing to train me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Training's too expensive for now. But I'll definitely want to get everything I can from him in the future.

Wandering around town, I take everything that's not marked as owned. Plates, pots, clothes and food.

When I found the arms trader, he told me about some interesting scrolls in a box in his hut, and gave me permission to look at them. Unfortunately he wouldn't buy most of the random crap I'd been picking up. I sold the spear, at least.
    Spoiler
    Show

The bakery next door allows me to take as much bread as I want, and apparently new loaves will be added to the room over time. I help myself. A refuse pile behind the chief's building hides some coins. A storage room contains a Nice Fur and a hidden Energy Draught.

The scrolls mentioned above contain directions on making Healing Draughts from Healing Herbs. This most basic potion can even be made by Ciaran. Back at the blacksmith, I sell a few things I found, the fur, a bar of iron, an amphora of wine and some sacks of grain. He tells me that if I leave nethergate and take the road east I'll find some shops.

Finally, I approach the druid…

"I hope to die well"…
    Seems a little bitter, there. But now to talk to him properly.

Spoiler
    Show

"Tell me about my mission."

"What are these creatures?"

"I need to know more about this bronze token."

"Will I be fighting these goblins?"

So there it is. First quest assigned. This is a linear game, so no real choice about where to next.

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin Mine
    Before I leave Nethergate, I take a quick look around outside the walls, finding some coins, a suit of Poor Leather Armour and a Fine Leather Helm for my trouble.

I leave the town and get my first look at Shadowvale

East of Nethergate is a potion seller, and a vulnerable general store. Still wont buy my random crap. Even so, I don't attack. I dump my random stuff back at Nethergate.

Heading west, I'm ambushed by three goblins!
    Spoiler
    Show

A simple fight. Used Lance of Fire and Bruce's dagger. Bruce took a scratch, but everyone else is fine. A pair of sandals and a leather helm drop as loot.

further along the way I find a hermit's hut. He doesn't want to talk. The goblin mine is in the middle of a poison swamp, the only dry land access is, natrually, guarded. Not for long. I engage 4 goblins and a goblin warrior. Bruce takes a couple of solid hits from the warrior but easily remains standing to kill it, and the regulars get lance of fire'd to death. I get some poor gear, a few coins and a healing draught from the fight.

Spoiler
    Show

I soon reach the mine, and enter.

The main gates are shut. Surprise, surprise. I find a couple of other tunnels going in, and choose the rankest one, figuring the nice one is more likely a trap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avoiding the swamp spaces I go in. It's a trash pit. No goblins, but certainly rats. Giant rats. Bruce takes some nasty bites going through. Nothing a little magic can't fix. L give main healing duties to Lachlan, as he can refill his energy for free.
    Spoiler
    Show

A secret room scores me a sling, some javelin, some healing herbs and some food. Ciaran brews up a Healing Draught from the herbs.

Huh, looks like the goblins have been using the rats as target practice. Luckily they aren't right now. Even better, the gate that should've locked off the trash pits is broken.

Hiding from a goblin patrol, I overhear them talking about a fomorian. A fomorian with a 'pretty bronze thing'. Deciding to leave an assault on the goblin village for later, I head down some nearby stairs.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show

Under Goblin Pits is a darkened area. At least, much of it is. Magical light lasts a fair while, but I'll start with the lantern I collected upstairs
    Uh, ew? I take a south-going passage first and end up in a burial chamber. Confident in my Spirit Circle magic to deal with the inevitable undead, I explore on. One of the pots holds a silver ring. Unfortunately the way to the tomb proper needs a key.

Another corridor has a few locked doors. A casting of Pass Portal changes that. These contain other tombs.
    Damn it.

One of these tombs hides Vapor Rats, much more dangerous that regular giant rats. Fortunately I dispatch them before they use their cursing vapors. The sarcophagus has nothing, but a nearby corpse has some bits and pieces.

Continuing to explore I find a gladiatorial pit. The Celts don't aprove. I find some amphoras if wine in the back, though. Everyone soon gets a level up from fighting the goblins here. I have Myndes focus on the Beast Circle and it's prereq. War Circle. Lachlan is on Health and Craft Circles and Ciaran will raise them all to allow him to get as much as possibe in Spirit Circle, which has all the other circles as prereqs. Bruce hold on to his skill points for now.

I find a temple north of-- oh god it's casting spells. And has a ton of HP. I am, of course, talking about the temple's shaman. Oh, he has a name. Torbuld. I buff up Bruce and let him take up the one-square entrance and bash heads. The shaman occasionally throws some magic around, so I keep my druids out of his line of sight. A few regular goblins came 'round the sides to threaten the druids. Said goblins didn't even reach them before getting lanced. Torbuld took a few hits, but seemed to use up all his magic early on. Blessed and Shielded, Bruce beat him handily. Torbuld had a magic Ring of Health, which gives Acid and Illness resistance. Tempting fate, I steal a dagger from the altar… Three shades are summoned. Fast, strong and undead. Three shots of Disrupt Spirit doers the job. My prize? A powerful Blessed Dagger. Does 5-20 damage + 1-4 per level of skill. Compare with the Iron Dagger I had been using: 2-6 + 1-3 per level. If I hadn't 3 druid here I probably would've lost. With three, it was trivial.
    Spoiler
    Show

In the side rooms I find a tasty Ceremonial Dagger which would've been a lot more interesting if I didn't just receive the blessed dagger (no dual-wielding here). I find a regular shaman in the rooms around the temple, and more gobbos. And another needs-key lock.
    A magic Druid's Robe is in what looks like Torbuld's personal room. Even though It's the best body armour I've found so far, I give it to Lachlan. I find another one and pass it to Myndes. More loot: a valuable Silver Drinking Cup.
    Spoiler
    Show

A goblin library. Who'da thunk it? One of the scrolls teaches the recipe for Energy Draught.
    Spoiler
    Show

The next room has spiders. Giant ones. Past that, another 'hall of learning'. Spell energy doesn't regen in a dungeon, and I't starting to go dry. I'm gonna need those Energy Draughts before too long.

Second hall, I accidentally summon two ghouls. They damn near kill Bruce, but soon fall to Disrupt Spirit. The other bookshelf in the room teaches the first four Craft Circle spells, and as such adds Hovering Feet to my spell list. Still need Craft Circle 4 to cast it. The next doors are briefly found to be locked. Some more shades are behind them. Bruce tanks, one druid heals and the rest zap.

Third hall. Door's locked. Door's now unlocked. Two bookshelves again. Bookshelf one is the first four Beast spells, adding Charm Beast to my repertoire. The other...
    …looks like some foreshadowing.

Having finished with the hall of learning, I check out the fighting pit via the fighters entrance. The obvious happens. At least the spectators don't have slings. In the beastkeeper's area I find another 'needs key' door. In one of the locked (and empty) cells I find a secret room with a quality iron spear and some fine leather armour.
    Spoiler
    Show

While I was down there, the spectators came at me piecemeal. Bruce one shotted each of them in turn, along with the beasts and the beastmaster. Nice dagger, that. Moving on, I found another secret room. Just some food and some herbs here.
    Spoiler
    Show

I find a passage that the goblins don't seem to use much. This could be where the token is. Sure enough…
    Spoiler
    Show

I used the choke-point with buffed-up Bruce strategy again. Tooth, Claw and Blood, the enemy's pet wolves, go down first, and then I concentrate fire on Vazec the Fomorian.
    He drops a blessed small shield and a gold necklace. His chest contains wine, a large wood shield and a silver brooch. His other chest contains only bones… and an ornate bronze disk. Finally I find… another locked gate I can't open. Arrgh. I can see a magic ring in there!

A little further on I find a locked door protecting a chest… a chest containing a key! It unlocks the gate! The Ring of Skill give Bruce some more accuracy. I also get some poor chaimail, which I leave in the inventory as noone has the skill to use it without penalty.

I check around for secret passages and am rewarded.
    Spoiler
    Show

The chest contains 61 coins. Some stairs go deeper, but now I think it's time to head back. I'm running out of magic again. I check the other locks as I go, and the key also works in the arena. I get some woad, a scroll of Ice Darts and a Healing Draught. I leave the dungeon the way I came, and return to Nethergate to heal, sell and train. Then I'll head back to the goblin den, as I haven't seen all there is to see there yet.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2010-04-17 at 05:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Selling my excess gear got me to a healthy 981 gold. I bought some Barter training for everyone, and then some Hardiness and Defence for Bruce. Everyone had reached level 3 by now. I gave Bruce a rank in Dex. I raised Beast Circle and Druidism for Myndes. Craft Circle and Druidism for Lachlan and War Circle, Beast Circle and a rank of Herbcraft for Ciaran.

I have Ciaran brew up some healing and energy draughts. While I'm here, I turn in the Bronze Token quest:

I head back to the mine, this time feeling good and ready to tackle the goblin town. I find some metal bars in what I guess is their smithy. I find a large hall with what I guess is the chief, Drog Eyegouger, before long.
    Spoiler
    Show

Drog is another tough cookie, but nothing I can't handle.
    Oh! Nice. Drog also had a magic Shield Ring, which I give to Ciaran.

One of the buildings contains a few shamans, the don't get to cast any spells. The loot in here is good but… Urgh. Another locked gate I can't open. At least there was a bunch of nice furs in the box.
    Spoiler
    Show

Further on, passed a barred door (barred on the side I'm on, the inside. I think I was right about the nice passage) I find a gate I can open with a key. I get some armour and potions out of it.
    Spoiler
    Show

I run into some goblin slingers that would've probably killed me if I tried a direct assault. Highly damaging, but now all my team have slings.

Ooh, secret room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Some herbs, a scalpel a a first aid kit. Why was this hidden? Soon everyone gets to level 4. Myndes gets another rank in War Circle, Lachlan gets a point in Health Circle, Ciaran gets Craft Circle and Bruce hold on to his points for now.

I find the crank for the main gate, but can't turn it, Even Bruce just isn't strong enough. I check for secret passages and then leave to prepare to enter the lowest area. My trip to Nethergate and back was uneventful.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show

The gate near the temple unlocked with my new key

Everyone got some skill points from this. I gave Bruce another point in dex, Myndes a point in Beast Circle, Lachlan a point in Craft Circle and Ciaran still needs to wait before advancing Spirit Circle.

I had Lachlan maintain a Create Light spell. His superior Craft Circle should prolong the spells duration. I found the tomb also opened up.
    Spoiler
    Show

What kind of a question is that? Loot it!
    That it? Ha! Wait, is that a shade?
    Spoiler
    Show

As always, Shades and Disrupt Spirit don't mix. I give Bruce the Steel Chain Mail. I figure the hearty defence makes up for the encumbrance. A bunch more shades show up in the burial area, all die easily to my spells.

Deep Goblin Pits
    Spoiler
    Show

Rats and Goblin Warriors. Nothing to fear. A Goblin Gravekeeper proves a tougher foe, with HP, spells and a solid melee hit. Still, he falls quickly once isolated.
    Spoiler
    Show

This dining room houses some warriors and shamans. An initial burst of Lances of Fire forced me to heal. A locked door nearby protected a scroll of Lances of Ice.

The sign says "Trezer Room" and the door needs a key I haven't got. Figures. Some giant spiders guard some loot, including a third Druid's Robe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fire Lizards. OK, just one. Guarding a Ruby.

Spoiler
    Show

More fire lizards! 3 of 'em! Not easy at all. I use my Ice Darts scrolls and my Charm Beast spell to help. The loot is a Basic Charm, which gives acid resistance. To the north, a vapor rat. And another, this one on an inaccessible ledge. The slings come in handy here. Further on… Ohgodthreeofthem.
    Spoiler
    Show

Wait, two of those are 'mung rats'. I don't know if that's any better. A secret way south to the 'inaccessible ledge' scores me:

It unlocks the "Trezer Room"…
    Spoiler
    Show

Ghouls and Wights! This is why Disrupt Spirit rocks. The chests are (of course) trapped. Without Tool Use, I have to rely on Pass Portal, which has a small chance of disarming traps. Both disarm on the first shot. Score. Chest 1 has a haste potion and a silver ring. Chest 2 has a magic Resistance Ring, a couple of higher-level potions and a cursed "emptiness brew".

That seems like everything, but I'll check for…
    Spoiler
    Show

…secret doors. An Icy Ring is hidden here. Fire Resistance. Would've been useful 'gainst those fire lizards.
    Spoiler
    Show

More rats or various sorts. The 'Foul Rat' is especially tough. And venomous. This area leads to a hidden area in the floor above, Where magic barriers block access to powerful ghost. Not powerful enough, but the barriers are still there, and I can't dispel them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hang on, this is a damagebarrier… and I found a basilisk. Bruce resisted its gaze attack, and it went down fast. Some sweet loot here, most notably a Blessed Longsword! The other room has an impassable barrier, unfortunately. I'll have to come back later.

Jeff Vogel abhors so another secret room in the empty space in the NW came as no surprise. Looks like it's sealed with-- wait, the top one's a damage a barrier!
    Spoiler
    Show

Huh, a shallow chasm. I'll save and drop down...
    Spoiler
    Show

A portal? No way back up, so I guess I'm goin' in!

…it just threw me back into the middle. What? This looks like a job for: Piercing Sight!

A-ha, another secret passage! The portal ruse was a distraction.

Huh, a pool… lessee...

Still no way into the far NW corner. I can see something there, thanks to Piercing Sight, but no way to reach it. Maybe that sealed room has something to do with it. Either way, I'm done with this area for now. Time to go back to town, sell my loot and prepare for the next quest. Everyone has some skill points to burn: Bruce picked up a point in Endurance, Myndes and Lachlan both got a point in Druidism and Ciaran got a point in Spirt Circle and in Druidism. After selling my stuff I trained some Defence and Woodscraft.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Are you aiming for some sort of 24-hour update record?

Either way, pretty good so far. Informative, too, which is always nice for anyone who's new to these games. I like it so far
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #21

Are you aiming for some sort of 24-hour update record?
    Heh, I didn't have anything else to do on Saturday. I'll have to slow down by Monday, though.

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show

Looking back over my work, I just realised I forgot about a locked room in the goblin town. Sure enough I have the key now. The chests are trapped, but a shot of Pass Portal fixes that. A Wand of Ice and 2 Shards of Release (cures all negative effects) are the notable loot. There's also a Scroll of Withering, which is bad. I head back to Nethergate.

I enter the chief's compound, the large walled area in the SE. Wandering around, I find some trophies:
    I approach one of the smaller huts and…
    Finally, I head into the largest hut in the compound. Naturally, this is where the chief is.
    For the first time I remember to record something in my journal. Lachlan and Ciaran level up coming in here. I decide it's time to level up Luck, both get one rank of Luck, Lachlan has a saved point from earlier, so also gets a rank in Health Circle. I talk to the chief:
    Spoiler
    Show

"What Mission would you like me to perform?"

"I would like to know more about Nethergate"

"What events?"

"What's so special about Shadowvale?"

"Do you know much of the faerie folk?"

"That's all for now, thanks."

In the hut just to the south there's some stuff I can take. Nothing particularly notable. The NE hut has a couple of chests I cannot open.
    I sell my excess gear and check on my supplies. I'm short of Energy Draughts, so I head to the potion seller and use up the last of my gold.

Next, I'll head south, to Ruined Hall.

23. - Top - End - #23

Galag-Trav

Spoiler
    Show

On the way south, I run into some tall stones. I'm alerted to some movement among them. Some men are batting some goblins! I launch into the battle and soon the goblins are dispatched. We get a shield as our share of the loot, and Bruce and Myndes level up from the fight. I can't train on the overworld, so I briefly head back to town to advance my skills. Bruce gets a point in Luck, Myndes gets Luck and War Circle.

Further south…
    The goblins attack. Even supported by a Shaman they don't last long. After all, I can recover energy freely on the overworld. I get some coins and a couple of healing draughts from the watchtower. A little ways east of the watchtower I find an area signposted as Galag-Trav. Not where I'm headed, but I may as well take a look around. A couple of goblin bands patrolled the outside, but they were easily taken care of. I heal up and then go into what looks like a cave…

Sounds like it could well be a bum deal, but what the hey. He warns me that the NE caves contain fomorians.

I head down the south passage. It smells of goblins. However, the first door I open reveals shades. There's a secret passage in the back of the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Which leads to a ledge. A wight below is quite helpless. There's an iron axe up here. I may have to drop down that ledge later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Impassible magic barriers. Three of 'em, by the look. I hope that there's another way around.

There are more shades in another closed room, and then goblins. A pedestal in the goblin room has a button on it. I press it. Another room has more goblins and another button. One of the goblins dropped an Iron Bracers, which I equipped on Bruce.

Spoiler
    Show

Hrm. Another locked gate. Well, I guess I'll try that ledge. I jump down and heal up. The door's locked, so I magic it open.

More ghouls. I just have Bruce slice 'em up. I run into another locked door, and open it up. Wights. Lovely. At least they have some valuable loot. I get around behind the magic barriers. The gate's locked. I -hope- the control isn't in the area I can't get to now.

I find a monument of some sort with inscriptions I can't translate. One of 'em has a button I can push if I insert a weapon. I swap Bruce's Blessed Longsword for am Iron Dagger and give it a shot. It doesn't destroy the dagger and a gate moves somewhere. It opens up the gate behind the magic barrier. I find…
    It unlocks another gate deeper in.

I find some stairs down. I still have no other options, so I go down.
    Reach him? Lances ahoy!
    Spoiler
    Show

Here I start running into Goblin Guards. They are substantially tougher than the goblin warriors.

I find a secret passage in an empty-looking part of the map.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Lava? Oh, great. More fire lizards, right?

Right. I pull back into the corridor and let them come to me. After beating them I find some Fine Leather Armour and a Quality Iron Spear on a body.

Back up, past both a secret and a locked door, I find a strange room…
    Spoiler
    Show

A crypt, it seems. One of it's rooms has a magic barrier protecting a chest. And down another passage:
    In fact, there's nothing I can do in here 'til I can pierce magic barriers.

Spoiler
    Show

Through a secret way I find a way to the upper area of the map. A large group of fomorians block the way, forcing me to use some want charges. I finally finish them off, open the door and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goddammit!

Shielded up and with healing support, Bruce was an unmovable object. Turns out one of those Fomorians was the chief:

Exploring further got me some loot, but no alternate way up. And no girl.

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, there we go.

…and she goes and alerts a band of goblins near the stairs.

Upstairs and I find the hidden button opens the way out. A few more goblins and I'm out.
    My reward is an Intelligence Bracelet. Not bad. Everyone had levelled up from that adventure. Bruce picked up two levels of Armour Use, Myndes got a level of Beast Circle, Lachlan got Craft Circle and Ciaran got Health and War Circles. I also gave Ciaran teh Intelligence Bracelet, to make up for his lower Druidism skill compared to the other two.

I headed back to Nethergate. There's still some unexplored rooms in Galag-Trav, but I'm pretty much maxed out on loot now.

On the way back…
    …I lost 5 gold.

Back at Nethergate I sold my stuff and got some Hardiness and Defense for Bruce.

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler
    Show

You can harvest mistletoe from this glade to the SE of Nethergate.

Spoiler
    Show

Back in Galag-Trav, this storeroom contains some minor loot

Spoiler
    Show

The creatures it summons are a spectral warrior and a spectral wolf. Not undead, aparently. This could be a problem. I use the Call Spirit Scroll Ciaran has been carrying for a while now. It summons up a spectral warrior of my own that proceeds to tear the enemy warrior a new one. There's some druidic supplies in a secret room in the back, next to a pile of skulls.

Spoiler
    Show

A secret door, a damage floor and a trapped chest protect a Haste Draught, a steel cudgel and a magic Spearflinger's Ring, that raises the Spears and Javelins skills.

A key unlocks a gate to a small crypt. A Greater Shade greets me and goes down fast. Disrupt Spirit rocks. The north crypt only had the Shade. The south tempts me with a suit of chain… Bruce gets Blessed Chain Mail. Both stronger and less encumbering than the steel.

A room full of disease-causing Mung Rats contains a Superior Longsword and a bar of lead.

In the last room I find a band of goblins lead by one Turvald the Crusher. No problem.
    I also found a Steel Large Shield and a Lamp.

I final pass to check for hidden passages doesn't reveal anything, so I head on back to Nethergate. and sell my stuff. I have Cormac teach Myndes the next three War spells and Lachlan the next three Health spells.

War Circle
    • Quicksilver Feet. Hastes a character, doubling his Action Points.
    • Beast Ceremony. Blesses and Shields the entire party. Usable only out of combat and not on the overworld.
    • Darts of Ice. Blasts 3 enemies with ice.

Health Circle
    • Healing. It's healing.
    • Recovery. Cures poison, disease, sleep and paralysis out of combat (like most curing spells)
    • Unshackle Mind. Cures charm and fear, and works in battle!

Lachlan and Ciaran had levelled up. They both got a point in Druidism. Ciaran also got a point in Health Circle.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ruined Hall
    I reach the hill of the Ruined Hall without further interruptions. Time to go in and advance the plot.
    Oh come on! I head towards the bridge and:

I seem to be doing just fine without a hired sword (If I were playing Romans I understand that there is a Druid that can be hired), so I go on across the bridge.
    Or not. I try going further south first. I come to a bridge that is guarded by fomorians who demand a toll. They get it in steel.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice place, huh?

Crone Caverns
    Spoiler
    Show

WTF? Aww. All my sweet stuff.

Someone wants to talk with me:
    Spoiler
    Show

"What is this place?"

"What is Castle Aethdoc?"

"And the Spire of Ages?"

"That's all for now"

Well isn't this just peachy?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Not.. not good. Though I do like the fact that Nethergate uses a Fair Folk-ish interpretation of the Sidhe. Always nice to see. On the bright side, they can disarm you all they like and you can still shoot stuff with spells.

By the way, if the spell list resembles Avernum at all, you got some of the best spells. Quicksilver Feet, a multi-target attack and Unshackle Mind, among other things. Healing/curing is great, though I'm surprised you didn't have it from the start. Oh, and you know, Beast Ceremony.

I wish they never removed Beast Ceremony from the Avernum games. Or Divine Warrior. And they had to nerf haste too. And now, A6 butchers my spell list further by switching out all the nice spells A5 added. Bah.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #27

By the way, if the spell list resembles Avernum at all, you got some of the best spells. Quicksilver Feet, a multi-target attack and Unshackle Mind, among other things. Healing/curing is great, though I'm surprised you didn't have it from the start. Oh, and you know, Beast Ceremony.
    It's similar, but Nethergate's spell list isn't as streamlined as A1-3's So I started with Mild Healing and got Healing later on. Total Healing is even better.

I haven't looked at the new Avernum games yet. I have 1-3, and finished (sort of) 1.

28. - Top - End - #28

The other prisoners seem hopeless. Exploring around, I find a passage with giant rats. Bruce can punch them out easy enough. Except for the vapor rats, but I still have all my magic. There's a small amount of very basic gear on a corpse, and a energy draught just lying around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ledges make for a slightly painful one-way passage.
    Spoiler
    Show

More rats. Lovely Some bats show up behind me to add to the fun. Past the rats I find some better gear.
    I figure my best bet is to strip off what little armour I have and march onward. I still can't get past.
    Spoiler
    Show

Secret passage. Apparently I still have the keys I found earlier, and one of 'em opens the chest. The only significant Item is a Ravaging Baton that casts the spell Ravage Life that damages, weakens and curses living enemies. A nearby locked room contains nothing but a Energy Draught.
    Yay! My stuff!
    Ah, the portcullis control…
    That deals with that.
    There's a locked storeroom. Food, thread, a few saleables and herbs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Secret room. Minor loot.

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like a maze. A sign tells me to keep out. Further in…
    For once I feel like leaving well enough alone. Deeper in, I find the 'blessing pool'. It doesn't do anything for me.
    What are the chances that this area doesn't have a basilisk?

I find a wolf chained to a rock. It doesn't seem threatening, and the crones left a sign telling prisoners to keep out. The lock is tiny, but trying to smash it only hurts the party.
    OK, backing off.

I find another wolf that I can free. It attacks.

The room marked 'pets' had nothing but mung rats in it. A room markes "rewards chamber" was left well alone.

Spoiler
    Show

Secret room. Contains a wight. Minor loot. I head for the exit.

Now seems like a good time to head back to town.

Along the way:
    I throw the beggar a few coins. He wishes me luck.

When I get back to town, I sell my stuff and get Ciaran all the spells I can. Myndes has some skill points, so I give him a rank of Druidism.

Next time, Ruined Hall?

29. - Top - End - #29

Ruined Hall
    Spoiler
    Show

I reach Ruined Hall again without new incident. Before heading in I walk around the outside of the wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

I run into some Giant Lizards and find some healing herbs in their nest. Further along, I find some rats, vapor and mung. They guard a Nice Fur. Time to go in.
    Begin Chapter 2: The Contract.
    Eh-heh. Sorry about that. I was held up.
    Been here before…
    Um, hello?
    Huh. I assumed that I wouldn't get the message so easily...

There we go!

Looking around the passages, I find a giant spiders. Even covered with several layers of web, Bruce can easily dispatch them.
    Maybe my lack of Faerie Lore is starting to hurt. But it's expensive in terms of skill points, and I can buy training in it later on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty obvious secret passage. Contains spiders and nothing el-- hang on:
    Spoiler
    Show

Another hidden room, of the one I was in hides a suit of Iron Chain Mail.
    Spoiler
    Show

The layout seems largely symmetrical. So naturally there's another secret room on the other side. This one contains "Warrior Bones", undead, but not strong enough to warrant magic. There's some magic Drakeskin Sandals in a box here. The sandals aren't very impressive, offering less protection than regular boots. There isn't a secret secret room off of this one.

Bah, can't be that bad!
    Spoiler
    Show

See, just some skeletons!

Spoiler
    Show

…and some shades…

Spoiler
    Show

and a secret room with a trapped chest containing some minor loot.

Spoiler
    Show

Another secret passage. Nothing in it. It's mate on the other side has an acid spitting giant slug and a small amount of treasure.

A locked room with four chests contains a useful scroll and potion, and two harmful potions.

Before heading downstairs I rest outside to replenish my magic.

Next up: Under Ruined Hall.

30. - Top - End - #30

Under Ruined Hall
    I fired up a lamp I had lying around upon descending. No sense in hoarding the things.
    I explore the various rooms, fighting more giant spiders, and I eventually come to a storeroom.

Oh! Lots of spiders! At least enought that I can be bothered going into combat mode (note: in Nethergate and Avernum, when in "Town Mode" you move at one space per turn and your lead character only can take swings at enemies).
    A gaping empty space in the SE of the map looked too strange, so I cast Piercing Sight…
    Spoiler
    Show

..It really is empty. That is strange.
    I believe that this is an allusion to the Roman party that one could choose to play as.
    Further on, I fight surprisingly tough Cave Bats and some more Mung and Vapor Rats.
    Spoiler
    Show

There's some stuff up there. I wonder how to get it

Everyone has some skill points to spend at this point. Bruce gets a point in Strength, Myndes War Circle, Lachlan Health Circle and Ciaran also gets. War Circle. I consider going back to town to get Ciaran Darts of Ice, but decide against for now.

Spoiler
    Show

Way up is blocked here, too.

Spoiler
    Show

I feel like the Romans probably can't go through this way. A bit further on, I'm fired upon by some goblin warriors on a ledge. They fall to spells and slings soon enough. There's a fairly worthless secret passage connecting two otherwise accessible rooms.

Giant lizards weren't much of a threat when I first encountered them in the goblins' arena. They certainly don't phase me now. Their lair has a Healing Elixir which is three times more effective than a draught.

Spoiler
    Show

More goblins were up on that ledge. Still haven't found a way up myself

Spoiler
    Show

Now this looks like an altar I shouldn't desecrate…
    Not bad at all. Lachlan can even cast it already.
    • Total Healing. Powerful healing. Cures Poison and Disease, too. Can't be cast in combat, and costs as much as Spirit Ceremony, which effects the whole team and cures all negative effects. Maybe not so useful.

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm, I wonder...
    Spoiler
    Show

Huh. Looks like opening doors doesn't check for collision. Still can't get through.

Spoiler
    Show

Jumping down there seems like a bad idea… *saves* *jumps*
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello, what's this?

Spoiler
    Show

It took me up to that ledge with the stuff! Some minor loot, A room with cobwebs… and that's it? Apparent suicide and a teleport for a couple of above average items, a minor scroll and a potion? Lame.

Spoiler
    Show

Three pools I can drink from. I guess I have to see what happens… *saves*

Rightmost pool:

Center Pool:

Leftmost Pool:
    I shot of Spirit Ceremony fixes that up. I soon find another connective secret passage, this time leading to the altar room.

Spoiler
    Show

Lava. Good thing Lachlan knows Hovering Feet. The corpse past just has basic gear. Nothing else there. Way to get my hopes up, game!

The two Uneasy Spirits summoned fall easy enough to application of Disrupt Spirit. Next room, more spiders.

Spoiler
    Show

Bookshelves! What will I find this time… The recipe for Strength Elixir. Needs more Herbcraft than Ciaran has, unfortunately and unsurprisingly.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, a secret library! Teaches the Hasting Draught recipe. Which Ciaran also can't make.

Son of a-- Once the sprite goes down, I come to a large gate...
    Wonderful. Finally, I get access to the ledges the goblins were shooting from. Only interesting thing is 6 blessed javelin.

Spoiler
    Show

Intelligent Giant Spiders? This can't be good. What the hell is an Aranea doing here anyway? I defeat the spiders (ice darts worked very well here) and returned to Dolojan.

you had another one all along?

Bloody fae.