New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dragons from How to Train Your Dragon in Warhammer 40k scenario

So let's apply a metric ton of handwavium first (might need to be more than that) and say that somehow the dragons from How to Train Your Dragon 3 (link will contain spoilers as it is the wikipedia article) are not discovered somehow (spoiler from the end of HTTYD3 in spoiler). Maybe something chaos or something or something something dark side? Might need other assumptions (not tainted by chaos, survived somehow, etc.)

Spoiler: Spoiler for HTTYD3 ending
    Show

The dragons go to an underground place that no one is supposed to be able to reach or find until people are worthy.

Let's evaluate 2 different points in time:

1> The dragons are discovered during the Horus Heresy.

2> The dragons are discovered during the time about when Captain Titus is doing the stuff in the first Space Marine game.

Not sure about the first instance, but in the second instance let's say some low level maintenance workers or something appropriate discover them. What happens?

What happens if they just pop out of the ground 5 miles from the closest open ground near the place where the golden throne is? If that's possible, or something like that.

What happens if we apply a sufficient amount of handwavium such that the Imperium of Man decides to try to ... eh heh, heh, eh heh ... "train"* them?

Spoiler: Appropriate reaction
    Show

Spoiler: And another one just in case
    Show

Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-06-09 at 10:42 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragons from How to Train Your Dragon in Warhammer 40k scenario

Simple, in the second instance with titus:
    normal humans die in droves failing to train them, probably led by Rogue Traders

then Space Marines come along and succeed. bonus points if they form an ultramarines successor chapter around riding them.

if space marines don't work, they just classify the dragon world as a death world and either not go there or just exterminatus it if they feel its really necessary to do something about a threat that can't travel to other worlds.

now them popping up near the throne is very unlikely, because Terra is basically the Imperium's equivalent of Coruscant, there is like, not an inch that isn't turned into some apartment complex or other building, and it was a techno-barbarian wasteland before that that the Emperor conquered and built over. any capability of it sustaining a healthy ecosystem to support something as a big as a dragon even in hiding, died long before the horus heresy or when Emps conquered it. I'd be surprised if there if is any life on Terra other than humans, rats and roaches.

but they were still there on Terra and did pop up, they wouldn't bother trying to tame them. they'd just kill them with lots of guns, because no amount of dragon coolness overcomes a zealous desire instilled into them from birth to fight and die for their glorious golden overlord.

and during the horus heresy? eeeeh.....hm.....I'm pretty sure people have more important things to do during that time then deal with what is essentially a xenos beast to the Imperium. again, they'd probably just kill them with lots of guns and move on to more important things, like getting rid of said Horus dude betraying his father who can zip around in a spaceship and cause more damage than dragons who can't zip around in spaceships.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Simple, in the second instance with titus:
    normal humans die in droves failing to train them, probably led by Rogue Traders

then Space Marines come along and succeed. bonus points if they form an ultramarines successor chapter around riding them.

if space marines don't work, they just classify the dragon world as a death world and either not go there or just exterminatus it if they feel its really necessary to do something about a threat that can't travel to other worlds.

now them popping up near the throne is very unlikely, because Terra is basically the Imperium's equivalent of Coruscant, there is like, not an inch that isn't turned into some apartment complex or other building, and it was a techno-barbarian wasteland before that that the Emperor conquered and built over. any capability of it sustaining a healthy ecosystem to support something as a big as a dragon even in hiding, died long before the horus heresy or when Emps conquered it. I'd be surprised if there if is any life on Terra other than humans, rats and roaches.

but they were still there on Terra and did pop up, they wouldn't bother trying to tame them. they'd just kill them with lots of guns, because no amount of dragon coolness overcomes a zealous desire instilled into them from birth to fight and die for their glorious golden overlord.

and during the horus heresy? eeeeh.....hm.....I'm pretty sure people have more important things to do during that time then deal with what is essentially a xenos beast to the Imperium. again, they'd probably just kill them with lots of guns and move on to more important things, like getting rid of said Horus dude betraying his father who can zip around in a spaceship and cause more damage than dragons who can't zip around in spaceships.
    I don't know if a dragon (from httyd) could lift a space marine in power armor and fly. Or even lift a space marine in power armor at all...

I kinda had the feeling that the adeptus mechanicus might get involved in the "training" process?

Initially, I had wanted to ask the first two scenarios happening on terra as well, but yeah, while the handwavium applied might not equal... != ...enough dakka, it would be something.

Note: I did think that since they can reproduce at a semi-reasonable rate perhaps that the imperial guard would be more interested in them. I mean, the ogryns probably eat a lot so food might not be as much of a problem.

I can only imagine of course what would happen to them when some are inevitably exposed to chaos...
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-06-09 at 11:23 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The various factions of 40k fight weirder stuff and are horribly devoured by more dangerous stuff than dragons all the time. So at best, they join the long line of incredibly dangerous xenos monsters running around the galaxy that people shoot/get eaten by/try to tame - the whole universe is built on the fundamental assumption that if it could exist, it already does exist in some excessively over-the-top form and is probably evil.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-06-10 at 12:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The various factions of 40k fight weirder stuff and are horribly devoured by more dangerous stuff than dragons all the time. So at best, they join the long line of incredibly dangerous xenos monsters running around the galaxy that people shoot/get eaten by/try to tame - the whole universe is built on the fundamental assumption that if it could exist, it already does exist in some excessively over-the-top form and is probably evil.
    I still maintain Kerbals are Ork Spaceboys.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

I'd say if anyone forms a chapter around riding dragons, it's either Space Wolves or White Scars.

Edit: and if lifting power is at all a problem, well, if there's ever been a setting that would immediately jump to cyborg dragons with antigrav pods embedded in their wings, it's 40k.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-06-10 at 08:35 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    I still maintain Kerbals are Ork Spaceboys.
    No, sometimes Kerbals build things that work on purpose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    No, sometimes Kerbals build things that work on purpose.
    Out of stuff found on the side of the road?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe Kerbals are Krorks.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'd say if anyone forms a chapter around riding dragons, it's either Space Wolves or White Scars.

Edit: and if lifting power is at all a problem, well, if there's ever been a setting that would immediately jump to cyborg dragons with antigrav pods embedded in their wings, it's 40k.
    There's already cyborg* dragons in 40K.

We call them Heldrakes, eating spech merines for breakfast in the name of glorious chaos.

*but instead of starting with a fleshy being and adding metal bits, you start with a metal machine and then add demonic mutations that probably include fleshy bits.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-11 at 06:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Out of stuff found on the side of the road?
    No, they science the things they find at the side of the road and watch how the mystery goo responds to them, then they use that inspiration to build rocket engines.

Sometimes the rocket engines don't even explode.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I don't know if a dragon (from httyd) could lift a space marine in power armor and fly. Or even lift a space marine in power armor at all...
    Slap a grav chute on the space marine. Problem solved. Also provides for a safe landing for the marine in the event the dragon is killed while in flight.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season