New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Who says there aren't? We have no idea what's going on out in the rest of the world away from the Court.
    From Annie's reactions in the early chapters, I got the impression that the GC world is effectively ours, outside of the weirdness in the Court and the Forest. It could be that all the powerful etheric beings are hidden away in forests like Coyote, but there are only so many places they could be, and it seems odd that the Court wouldn't know about them. At no point during any of the Coyote crises has somebody said "Maybe we should have our agents in Norway ask Thor to intercede", or whatever. Then again, the Greek minotaur exists, so maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Coyote's ego may be self-sustaining at this point. There's also all the various Forest creatures, who most certainly do believe in Coyote even if the broader human population is moving beyond them.
    I thought Coyote's theory was that it was exclusively humans who could affect the ether in this way?

Possibly Coyote has eaten all the beliefs and stories associated with his general archetype? Ie, he's not just Coyote, he's also feeding on the stories of Raven and B'rer Rabbit and Anansi and Loki and even more modernized trickster figures like Bugs Bunny and.. well, quite a few popular cartoon characters.
    Now there's an interesting possibility. Then again, Reynard still exists, so he'd have to be absorbing tricksters selectively.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    From Annie's reactions in the early chapters, I got the impression that the GC world is effectively ours, outside of the weirdness in the Court and the Forest. It could be that all the powerful etheric beings are hidden away in forests like Coyote, but there are only so many places they could be, and it seems odd that the Court wouldn't know about them. At no point during any of the Coyote crises has somebody said "Maybe we should have our agents in Norway ask Thor to intercede", or whatever. Then again, the Greek minotaur exists, so maybe I'm wrong.

I thought Coyote's theory was that it was exclusively humans who could affect the ether in this way?

Now there's an interesting possibility. Then again, Reynard still exists, so he'd have to be absorbing tricksters selectively.
    Perhaps that was the nature of the bargain for power is to allow Coyote to absorb the other entities over time. But with Ysgrin, it backfired and Ysgrin absorbed Coyote instead. However, due to Ysgrin being weakened and undermined by Coyote himself, Loup is a hybrid of the two egos, instead of being a heightened Ysgrin.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Troll in the Playground

Kat is well on her way to godhood, if not already there.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Who here is hoping for an abomination?

*Raises hand*
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Who here is hoping for an abomination?

*Raises hand*
    I'm expecting a lot of horrified screaming. There is too much happiness in this comic at the moment. (what does THAT say about current story arcs?)

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, the chapter 48 retrospective video is up. I liked that chapter, although I got the sense that a lot of fans didn't.

7. - Top - End - #1357

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Also, the chapter 48 retrospective video is up. I liked that chapter, although I got the sense that a lot of fans didn't.
    I liked it. It progressed the plot, showed us a side of the Forest we wouldn't normally see and made good use of the "wild rumours relating to a thing that the audience saw first-hand leading to amusing dramatic irony" trope.

8. - Top - End - #1358

The video pointed out something that I had never noticed before: namely, that when the Canvey monster imagines Annie, she has flippers just like he does.

9. - Top - End - #1359

The video pointed out something that I had never noticed before: namely, that when the Canvey monster imagines Annie, she has flippers just like he does.
    And gills on her ribcage...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Troll in the Playground

Things are not making a whole lot of sense right now...

11. - Top - End - #1361

My guess is Diego/the Court installed some etheric countermeasures to prevent anything like the whale-ship scenario happening in the court.

They presumably do not want robots making themselves into humans because that calls into question the way they have been treating robots.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This seems like an odd time for Tom to change topics, but ok.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2019-05-17 at 06:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh. I wonder if Kat's use of her computer for the ownership transfer back here https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1927 has anything to do with this?
    LGBTQIA+ITP

14. - Top - End - #1364

Reading back, I had not noticed the GIF in panel 5 https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1933
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-05-17 at 12:54 PM.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1365

This "arbiter" feels a lot like the RotD, in that they are another supposedly important authority that just came out of nowhere into the story.

16. - Top - End - #1366

This "arbiter" feels a lot like the RotD, in that they are another supposedly important authority that just came out of nowhere into the story.
    Royal of the Droids?

Who is the RotD?

17. - Top - End - #1367

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Royal of the Droids?

Who is the RotD?
    Realm of the Dead. They were important in their eponymous chapter and were revisited in See Ya, which is the one where Mort goes into the ether (I'm not spoiler-tagging that because it was over a year ago).

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Troll in the Playground

I think the arbiter is something different. The RotD was important for the Mort arc and was an actual authority. I suspect that, despite its name the arbiter is not an authority as far as the story is concerned, but a plot-device intended to result in exposition regarding Kat's nature, while also reminding the reader that it's not just the forest that has some weird stuff going on.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

19. - Top - End - #1369

The chapter 51 retrospective video is up. The videos seem to be getting longer. I definitely hadn't noticed Annie's "hidden motivation" for hiding why she was cheating from Kat.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The chapter 51 retrospective video is up. The videos seem to be getting longer. I definitely hadn't noticed Annie's "hidden motivation" for hiding why she was cheating from Kat.
    I think it works really well to have someone asking questions from the reader's perspective.

I think I had got the sense that Annie wasn't willing to put in the work to learn/ask for help. However I hadn't thought of her being intentionally manipulative towards Kat.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Barbarian in the Playground

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the "arbiter" and the translator turned out to just be a pair of supernatural scammers. They have been triggering my "bull****" alarms since the moment they started talking...
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the "arbiter" and the translator turned out to just be a pair of supernatural scammers. They have been triggering my "bull****" alarms since the moment they started talking...
    Fake Namekians! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fAQtmY2NUM

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I like how Kat is all "That's great!" because the arbiter/interpreter have basically confirmed that she was on track to the next step.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    I think the arbiter is something different. The RotD was important for the Mort arc and was an actual authority. I suspect that, despite its name the arbiter is not an authority as far as the story is concerned, but a plot-device intended to result in exposition regarding Kat's nature, while also reminding the reader that it's not just the forest that has some weird stuff going on.
    The guy is a figurative and a literal Deus Ex Machina.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

25. - Top - End - #1375

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    The guy is a figurative and a literal Deus Ex Machina.
    Since he's an obstacle appearing out of nowhere instead of a solution, I'd say he's the opposite of a deus ex machina. Daimonas ex machina?

26. - Top - End - #1376

Daimonas ex machina?
    If you're going Latin, daemon ex machina. Daimon would be Greek. Demonaz is the guy from Immortal.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Troll in the Playground

Since he's an obstacle appearing out of nowhere instead of a solution, I'd say he's the opposite of a deus ex machina. Daimonas ex machina?
    tvtropes calls it a Diabolus ex Macina.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

28. - Top - End - #1378

The new retrospective videos seem to be coming a lot faster. Maybe having his wife help make them has made it more interesting so he is more motivated to do them.

I liked chapter 52.

29. - Top - End - #1379

It's still a deus. That doesn't refer to the Abrahamic god, it's a Graeco-Roman god ;)

And I'd say it serves the same function as a classic "solution" deus ex machina: this figure pops up and it just takes the plot in the direction that the author wants. Be it positive or negative for the characters.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    It's still a deus. That doesn't refer to the Abrahamic god, it's a Graeco-Roman god ;)

And I'd say it serves the same function as a classic "solution" deus ex machina: this figure pops up and it just takes the plot in the direction that the author wants. Be it positive or negative for the characters.
    To be fair to Tom, re-reading this chapter with better context, I don't think this is truly ham fisted writing, so much as it's the outside forces taking interest in the actions of the characters.

Plus, it'll be interesting to see where this change will take Renard.