New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

well yael here is my vestige build for you which focuses on sheik and zelda from legend of zelda series

Yael the ninjaprincess
    Manifestation exoticmelody heard by binder
    Sing triangle markappears in binders left hand

Granted abilities

• Dual identity yael teaches you to how to hide your identity as long as you bind yael the ninja princess you gain vigilantes dual identify feature
    • Mystic songs yael teaches you the mystical melodies you gain bardic music class feature of bard long as you bind yael the ninja princess
    • Throwing expertise while binding yael the ninja maid you are proficient with throwing weapons
    • Loftwing companion you gain dire eagle animal companion while you bind yael the ninja princess

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    okay this can help so you are basicly in the same camp with unseen mage (aka our warforged expert) do you have favorite race (warcraft,D&D or pathfinder or starwars(due starfinder)
    It kinda sortens in the Elven path. I do love WoW's Blood Elves, and in 3.5 Elves come in a variety of flavors, so I enjoy their versatility (though Snow Elves are my favorite variant). I don't do Pathfinder that much, but in Star Wars, the race I most like are the humans, because Mandalorians :).

If I had to pick, Elves as a whole.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    Granting permision so I finally get my own thingy on the playground (hadn't had any yet.)
    Yael, Apostle of the Ancient Ones (Yael)

An elf who offered his soul to the Ancient Ones becoming their emissary in life, and serving them now even in "death".
    Vestige Level: 6th.
    Binding DC: 26.

Legend: Yael was an elven enchanter in the age of the Elder Elves, who studied deep into the magic of the mind and mental contact. He schooled his mind to contact that of other beings, to peer into their minds and find all that he could within, and then to seize it, claiming their allegiance with his magic power. All might have gone well for Yael, had he not been assigned to first contact duty at Firestorm Peak. He was there when they opened the Vast Gate and when reality broached into the Far Realm and the Far Realm returned the love tap.

As the maddening energies flowed out, Yael did his job, he made contact mind to mind with the inhabitants of that place. It is due to this that Yael did not suffer the fate of his contemporaries, that the beings of that realm took a special interest in him. They claimed Yael, but he did not die. He reappeared on Flanness 243 years later, no longer Yael the Mindbender, but Yael the Prophet of the Faceless God. He spread the word and power of the Faceless God across the continent, his words and mental powers instilling devotion in those who listened, driving it into their minds as he bent them to his master’s will. However the people of Flanness arrived to drive him forth, and the dread prophet was forced back into that realm of madness he appeared from.

He appeared next on the country of Khorvaire, one among many as the forces of Xoriat pushed into that world. Yael, using his seeming elven nature, walked among the defenders and sought to undermine the Gatekeepers with words and mental power both, but again he was found out and when they cast out the forces of Xoriat Yael was among them.

Yael appeared next on Toril, the continent of Faerun. Yael, now called the Prophet of the Dweller in Darkness, attempted to seed the land with the cults of his god. Unfortunately Yael had arrived during the Time of Troubles, and a god made flesh took an interest in this new cult. They clashed, and the once-elf was overwhelmed. Cleaved in two by a deity’s blow, Yael was taken in by his master and the Crawling Chaos breathed life into him once more. It was not true life, not full life, but as his reward for loyal service Yael was cast into the Void of the Vestiges, to serve forevermore.

Manifestation: Yael appears as an elf man with a third eye wide on his forehead. He is dressed richly in black robes of the finest material. As you speak his body seems to occasionally spasm, fleshy tendrils seeming to lash out from his back before retreating beneath his cloak. His skin, initially the palest white, darkens as he speaks, his robes lightening as well, until their colors have reversed, skin black as fulagen, and robes whiter than the cleanest snow.

Sign: A third eye opens on your forehead.

Influence: While Yael is bound you become evangelic, feeling the need to preach and spread the good word of your god… or the Crawling Chaos if you lack one. This compulsion strikes you at dusk, dawn, and whenever the topic turns to deities.

Granted Powers:

Dominating Personality: While Yael is bound if you make a diplomacy check to influence a single creature you may choose to take a -5 on the check. If you do so and you make a DC high enough to bring them to Helpful (or 20 if they already are helpful) you may attempt to Dominate them as the spell Dominate Person. This effect lasts 1 hour per 2 binder levels, and only affects humanoids, giants, and aberrations. If your binder level is at least 14 it can affect dragons, monstrous humanoids, constructs, undead, and outsiders with the native subtype. If your binder level is at least 18 it can affects animals, vermin, fey, magical beasts, plants, and elementals. If your binder level is at least 20 it can affect outsiders without the native subtype. This ability does not allow you to circumvent type based immunity to mind-affecting effects, merely target such a creature if you can get around it somehow or they lack it (in the case of living constructs, druids wild shaped into plants, etc). A Will save is allowed to resist this effect. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Emissary of the Ancient Ones: You gain a +4 bonus to Charisma checks and Charisma based skill checks dealing with creatures native to the Far Realm or Xoriat.

Inured to Madness: You gain immunity to confusion effects, insanity, Wisdom damage and drain, and the effects of Depravity. In the case of Depravity additional points still accrue, but you suffer no ill-effects from Depravity (including pre-existing depravities) while this vestige is bound.

Mindsight: While Yael is bound you gain the ability to communicate telepathically with any creature with a language out to a range of 20 ft. In addition you gain the benefits of the Mindsight (LoM) feat.

Strip Name: Invoking the Crawling Chaos you can strip a creature of its true name. It cannot be targeted utterances or truename spells, and gains Spell Resistance 15 + binder level against targeted spells that do not require an attack roll. However it becomes unable to cast spells or use spell-like abilities unless it makes a caster level check (DC 12 + your binder level), and if used on an outsider the outsider loses the ability to use any greater teleport spell-like abilities they possess. A Will save is allowed to negate this effect, and it lasts 1 minute per binder level or until you use it again. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

For Contractors: Song of the Spheres.

Spoiler: Song of the Spheres
    Show
    Song of the Spheres
    Effective Level: 6th.
    School: Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting].
    Casting Time: Standard action.
    Range: Close.
    Target: 1 creature.
    Duration: Instantaneous.
    Saving Throw: Will halves.
    Spell Resistance: Yes.
    You sing the song of the dread lords. Only the merest echo heard on the physical plane, the majority of the song heard only within the mind of your foe resonating with their own intellect using it to drive them towards incoherent madness.
    The target takes 1d6 damage per point of their Intelligence score; a successful Will save halves this damage.

Vestige Mastery – Yael [General]
    While Yael is bound you gain greater use of Yael’s mental powers.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Yael), Servant of the Old Ones.
    Benefit: You no longer suffer a penalty to Diplomacy checks when you use Dominating Personality. The telepathy granted by Yael’s mindsight increases to 100 ft. In addition you may use Yael’s Mindsight ability to spend 1 full round action to attempt to read the surface thoughts of a creature within the range of its telepathy (as the 3rd round of concentration on Detect Thoughts) a creature is allowed a Will save to resist this effect.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-11 at 09:07 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Yael, Apostle of the Ancient Ones (Yael)

snip
    I love it. Oh my god, it just reminds me of the very best 3.5 game I've been in. Thank you so much

"**** if I know."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Glad you like it. And yeah Resonance steps on too many toes if I make it just two way Shield Other, currently the bigger effect is supposed to be the fact that it gives an ally +5 insight to attack rolls or DR 5/- or +5 insight to saves or ... Pact Augmentation is better than people give it credit for. Either way any changes will have to wait till I wake up.
    Ah. I had no idea what pact augmentation was. Yeah, that's significant, and rather fitting considering the origin of the song.

I still might simplify it so "If the ally or you would die, they don't, and instead get their HP set to -9 and are stable. You can't use Resonance until the next morning." or get rid of the save an ally from death part, instead. Just to cut down on the amount of text. It's a bit of a confusing description.

This message sat in an extra tab for a good 2 hours now, as I waited to decide if it sounded too ungrateful. I hope it doesn't come off that way. I merely wish to help where I can.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I love it. Oh my god, it just reminds me of the very best 3.5 game I've been in. Thank you so much
    I figured it would

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    Ah. I had no idea what pact augmentation was. Yeah, that's significant, and rather fitting considering the origin of the song.
    Pact Augmentation is actually a bigger part of binder than people realize, it's 5 little plus ones but you can put them all in the same thing for +5. Of course that's at level 20, at level 8 it's only +2, still significant but not nearly as strong (DR 2/-, +2 to hit, +2 to saves, 10 energy resistance of choice, +10 hp, +2 AC, +2 damage, or +4 initiative)... I feel a feat coming on.

I still might simplify it so "If the ally or you would die, they don't, and instead get their HP set to -9 and are stable. You can't use Resonance until the next morning." or get rid of the save an ally from death part, instead. Just to cut down on the amount of text. It's a bit of a confusing description.
    Went ahead and changed it to an at-will damage shift which ends the bonus from the song for 5 rounds. So it's costly to do but still doable.

Also added a manifestation.

This message sat in an extra tab for a good 2 hours now, as I waited to decide if it sounded too ungrateful. I hope it doesn't come off that way. I merely wish to help where I can.
    Critiques are good. They are useful. They help improve things in the future.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

-Stuff-
    All I know about you is that I'm not allowed to even look at your reflection. It makes it hard to get more information.
    True.... Information: I play lots of LE characters, like high levels, and typically play wannabe god mages but really like gishes. (but they are hard to play in my typically core only IRL games)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caledscratcher View Post
    I give permissions to be used at any given point in time for these threads.

Also, how about:

...as random loot tables?
    ...as critical hit cards?
    ...as plot twist cards?
    ...as style feats?
    ...as psionic powers?
    ...as skill tricks/skill unlocks?
    ...as mythic path abilities?

Just a few thoughts~

Wanna make a con-

I have just been informed I have apparently already surpassed my magical girl vestige quota. I was not previously informed this was a thing...

So have some fruit instead.

Caled, the Mask Warrior (caledscratcher)

Vestige Level: 2nd.
    Binding DC: 17.

Legend: Not much is known about the Masked Warrior. Only that when a race of strange creatures called the ‘kaijin’ attacked an island nation she appeared upon a strange, two-wheeled animate object and did battle with them in an alien pink suit of armor. When the ‘kaijin’ were vanquished she too fell, turning into ash which was blown away upon the wind.

Manifestation: Caled appears as a woman in strange pink [url=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S2RVOj2kat4/U1x5iDzIdRI/AAAAAAAAUgk/MB7Jj33E01A/s1600/Kamen+Rider+Gaim+Episode+17.jpg[/url] seeming to drive into the seal upon the back of a strange two-wheeled animate vehicle coming into it from a far distant place viewed through a portrait.

Sign: A strangely ornate and irremovable belt forms around your waist. If you’re wearing a belt it merges with it.

Influence: While Caled is bound you may not talk through misunderstandings, instead you must let them fester or resolve themselves with combat.

Granted Powers:

Henshin: As a swift action you can transform into an ‘armored’ form. If you are armored your armor extends and transforms, an almost skin-tight suit clinging to any place not already covered, if you are not armored such a suit forms over you, and any magical clothing you wear (non-magical clothing is shunted into a non-dimensional space). While in this armored form you gain a +4 armor bonus to AC (this does not stack with existing armor bonuses), and the Max Dex of any armor you wear is increased by 1. While in this armored form you gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution, this increases to +4 at 7th level, +6 at 14th level, and +8 at 21st level. In addition when you enter this armored form you gain temporary hit points equal to ½ your Charisma modifier times your Binder level (minimum your binder level). These temporary hit points last until lost or you exist this form (as a standard action). Once you exit this form you cannot re-enter it for 1 minute.

This armored suit is unique to the binder and is always the same, with minor changes due to armor worn beneath (full plate creates a heavier version with the same motif and general themes), and always includes a full helmet and full body coverage.

Finishing Kick: As a standard action you may jump towards an opponent and make a single unarmed attack at the end of the jump. Make a Jump check as if making a running jump (even if you are not) and you may jump up to twice that distance. At the end of that movement you make a single unarmed strike and add your Charisma modifier to hit. If the target has 75% or less of their maximum health this attack ignores DR. If the target has 50% or less of their maximum health it deals double damage, increasing to triple damage if your binder level is 14 or higher. If the target has 25% or less of their maximum health they must make a Fortitude save, or if they have Con – a Will save, or take damage equal to twice their maximum health. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Kamen Fighting: You gain the benefit of the Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike feats using your binder level in place of your character level (if your binder level is 3rd or less treat it as 3rd).

Smite Kaijin: You can attempt to smite an aberration, elemental, monstrous humanoid, plant (creature plants only, inanimate plants are not valid targets), or outsider with a single melee attack. You add your Charisma bonus (if any) to the attack roll and deal 1 extra point of damage per effective binder level. If you accidentally smite a creature that is not one of the allowed types, the attempt has no effect. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Unassuming Alter Ego: You gain a +4 competence bonus to Profession checks.

For Contractors: Leaps and Bounds.

Vestige Mastery – Caled [General]
    While Caled is bound you gain the ability to summon forth an intelligent cycle to ride into battle.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Caled), Ride 4 ranks.
    Benefit: While Caled is bound you gain the ability to summon forth a Rider Cycle. This “Rider Cycle” is a two-wheeled animate object of your natural size, with a hardness of your binder level (for the purposes of Caled) to a maximum of 15. You may ride it, and it functions as a war trained steed, and has double the normal carrying capacity for a quadruped of its size and strength. Unlike normal animate objects it is Intelligent and has Intelligence 4, but it does not gain feats, or skill ranks. This Rider Cycle has a +2 higher natural armor than normal for an animate object of its size, and the Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, and Share Saving Throws abilities as a paladin’s special mount. If your binder level (for Caled) is high enough this Rider Cycle gains additional benefits as shown on the table below.

Calling this “Rider Cycle” is a standard action and it appears in an empty space adjacent to you (this is a conjuration calling effect). Items carried by the Cycle are not carried with it, and you may dismiss it to a nondimensional space as a standard action. If the Cycle is destroyed you cannot summon it again for 8 hours, in addition if the cycle is stored in its nondimensional space for 8 hours it is fully repaired (even if it wasn’t destroyed before hand).

Binder Level Bonus Hit Dice Natural Armor Strength Adjustment Int Special
    8th-10th +2 +2 +1 6 -
    11th-14th +4 +4 +2 7 Improved Speed
    15th-20th +6 +6 +3 8 Spell Resistance
    21st +8 +8 +4 9 Missiles

Improved Speed: Its speed increases by 10 ft.

Spell Resistance: It gains Spell Resistance of your effective binder level +5.

Missiles: As a standard action the Rider Cycle may fire a missile which explodes in a 10 ft radius within 100 ft dealing 1d6 damage per 5 binder levels you possess, this damage is half force and half fire, and a Reflex save (as if it was an ability granted to you by Caled) halves this damage.

Current Projects:

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured it would
    By the way. Song of the Spheres works off Intelligence Modifier, right?

"**** if I know."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

By the way. Song of the Spheres works off Intelligence Modifier, right?
    Score. I think which is too high, though. Mod is much too low (mod is 0 to 4d8, occasionally 11d8 if you're fighting enemies likely immune to it, Will halves, and relatively easily resisted as a mind-affecting effect, it'd make Warlock without Eldritch Glaive, Hellfire, feats, or items look like a god of dpr). Score is too high (easily 20d8 at 11th level)...

5 minutes.

Edit: Gave it scaling from d4/point of Int score (ideal target, gelugon, takes 55 damage, high but not unreasonably so for 11th level single target, especially with save {27} which gets it within range of a good single attack (Holy +2 Greatsword with 22 Str deals 25 damage average, gets 3 attacks/full attack, or with a martial maneuver can add ~12d6) and that's comparing ideal situations.

And then got interrupted by RL.

Edit 2: More calculations (because I'm feeling ill, and basic math distracts my mind without requiring effort). So with 1d8 x Int at Lv 11 you'd be dealing 22d8 against a CR 13 Gelugon. It has a save DC of 16 + Stat, lets say +7 (18 + 4 Item + 2 Level). So DC 23. It also has SR which you need a 14 to penetrate. The Gelugon takes 99 damage, 54 on a successful save (needs an 8 to save). So Standard action deals .35*(.35*99+.65*54) or 24.4 damage (per round), though really it will be 0 (most likely), 54, or 99. If you take Spell Penetration (which you probably will have) it increases to a 45% chance of damage or 31.4 damage (per round). A fighter with level appropriate weapon (+2 Holy) deals 28 damage per swing (assuming Weapon Spec) and gets 3 swings. But that's a FULL ATTACK. Standard action they get 1 attack at +21 to hit (assuming WF, this is not an optimized fighter). Or 26 damage and 15-20/x2 Crit (Falchion). This gives them an accuracy of 50%, and damage of 16.9. A Full Attack's damage increases to ~25. Power Attack reduces your damage and will not be used here. If they pursued the rest of the WF line they have another +3 to hit and +2 damage as of PHBII and have actually now used fighter class features. Their damage is now increased to 23.66 for a single attack and significantly more for 3 (about 40 I messed up the 3rd attack because the crit threat reached to higher range than the to hit and I didn't modify the calculations for it). Now of course Gelugon was chosen for having some of the best Int of its CR and while having above average SR also has some of the best AC of its level. I.e. this is the best case vs worse case (also Warblade is a better balance point than fighter). So lets try the CR 10 Bebilith. It has 11 Int. This brings the damage to 54.5 or 27.25 on a successful save, the DC remains static (23) but its bonus is only +10, also it lacks SR. So damage is 54.5*.6+27.25*.4 or 43.6 dpr. The fighter still deals 28 damage per attack with 30% of them dealing x2 damage (if the fighter needs an 11 to hit, they have a 20% chance of hitting, 30% chance of crit-threat, and 50% chance that a crit threat will be a crit hit, this means that out of their 50% of attacks that hit 15% will be a crit or 30% of their damaging attacks, this holds true as long as they hit throughout their entire threat range), fighter has a +23 to hit still, demons AC is 22, optimal PA is... Well that's a pain to calculate so I'll go with PA 5. This gives them a 15% chance of 0 damage, 85% of hitting (with a 30% chance of if hitting dealing double damage) and 38 damage per hit. This gives 42.0 dpr with unoptimized fighter's standard action attack (full attack adds 46.9 for 88.9 dpr).

So actually thus far the 1d8 looks mathematically sound. Let's try some other enemies... Now the SRD doesn't have them by CR where I know of so I have to get out my old trusty MM and look up some CR 11s. Also will get out ToB to compare to another data point.

So first lets put a Warblade in the last two. If they can charge the Gelugon their DPR is 47.6 against the gelugon (no ubercharging, just their Charge Maneuver), or 23.9 with a flat +4d6 damage maneuver with a 35% chance of robbing the foe of their next action. So damage isn't too much beyond a 6th level maneuver. Let's look at those same maneuvers against the bebilith. Against the bebilith the charge hits 95% of the time (PA 1) for 61 damage (30% chance of crit) or 75.3 DPR, and PA 2 gives them 45 with the other attack (30% chance of action denial).

So I might should up it back to d8s, but lets see how it compares across some more CR 11s.

Retriever (Demon): Immune (Construct). Its AC is 1 lower than the bebilith so the fighter/warblade deal slightly more damage but it's not worth the calculations.
    Barbed Devil: Int 12 (54 damage average), SR 23 (55% chance of overcoming) +12 Will save (50% chance of save), 29 AC. Song of the Spheres: 22.3 dpr. Melee Weapon Mastery Fighter (+24 to hit, 28 damage/hit): 29.1 dpr (increased with Full Attack, optimal PA 1 increases dpr by 0.1), charge ~+4 damage (PA). Warblade (+21 to hit, 26 damage/hit): Charge (+23 to hit, 63 damage) 47.25; stand and smack 31.1 dpr and 40% chance of action loss. So Warblade, Fighter, Song of Spheres.
    Adult Black Dragon: Int 12, SR 18 (80% chance), +12 Will, 27 AC. Song of Spheres: 32.4. MWM Fighter (PA 2, I don't know if that's optimal): 33.3 (+~4 on a charge). Warblade: 69.9; stand and smack 35.85 and 35% chance of action loss. So again same order but Song of Spheres does better here.
    Young Adult Blue Dragon: Int 14, SR 19 (75% chance), +13 Will, 26 AC. Song of Spheres: 34.3. MWM Fighter (PA 2): 35.4. Warblade: More (35% chance of action loss). Even closer, too close for Ranged vs Melee, but this is the best case thus far for SoS.
    Young Adult Green Dragon: 1 less Will, 1 less AC. I'm not doing the math here. It leans a little better for MWM Fighter, but across the board damage increases by approximately +1 (SoS) or +2 (Fighter, non-Charge) or +4 (Warblade charge).
    Young Adult Copper: As Blue but 16 Int and 25 AC (this increases damage compared to Blue by a little less than 5 for SoS and ~2 for fighter. Song of Spheres is now better than being a fighter making a standard attack. Warblade gets 50% action loss chance and 40.6 damage (or CHARGE).
    Juvenile Gold Dragon: 18 Int, no SR, and +14 Will. 56.7 damage for SoS, Fighter/Warblade are left far behind here. This is the absolute best case in the MM; a Wizard with 22 Int and high AC would be the absolute best case (and you might one-shot) but that's dependent upon the DM building something for your ability to be good against.
    Elder Elementals: All Int 10, Will +10, no SR. SoS 36 damage. AC varies but DR 10/- means it has it, though. Fighter deals a bit more than 23.3, Warblade in the mid 20s for AC 27 (Air) and a bit more for AC 22 (Earth) but it still hurts and SoS wins. So would 1d8/level blasting (hellfire 2 glaivelock deals 10d6 with melee touch, and a second attack but again that's a full round action, or 10d6 and save or suck as a ranged touch so actually wins it most likely, Air and Fire do have good touch AC).
    Cloud Giant: Int 12, no SR, Will +10, AC 25. Again they come out ahead, mark of being a tad too much perhaps.
    Stone Golem: Immune.
    Half Celestial Paladin: Int 10, SR 19, Will +10, AC 24. Fighter and Warblade have this.
    Harpy Archer: 6 Int, +11 Will, AC 23. If Fighter/Warblade can engage they have this. Otherwise 18ish a round is better than 0. Warlock has this.
    Hydra: Might as well be immune.
    Devourer: Skipped it by mistake. Is Immune. AC 24, so Fighter/Paladin do good damage if they can hit (> 40).
    Golden Protector: 18 Int (same as gold), 15 SR (90% chance to overcome), +10 Will, 29 AC. We have a new winner as this is SoS's highest damage and Fighter/Warblade are at Barbed Devil levels (assuming they have Unholy Weapons and not Holy at that point).
    Hill Giant Dire Boar: 6 Int, +12 Will, AC 22 (giant form) 16 (hybrid). Fighter beats SoS even if they can't overcome DR.
    Troll Hunter: Int 10, AC 21, Will +8. Everyone hits this harder, a little more than 36 from SoS, and a little more than against Bebilith for Fig/Warblade meaning they still edge it out.
    Dire Wraith: Immune.
    Some Colossal Vermin: Immune.

I'm going to d6. While it does have some cases it's golden good for Evil characters, it's usually worse than swinging a sword, but it's about on par with single target blast spells sometimes much better (Half-Dragon Lammasu, Gold Dragon) and sometimes worse.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-11 at 09:06 PM.

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: I think he's thinking of "Al Hazard"
    Show

And I'm not sure if Haman knows what a communist is.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    I've lurked and read the GITP Regulars as (insert thing here) threads a couple times now, so...

I'll see what comes of this, but I guess I'll grant permission for use as The Adversary. Psionic blade, other abilities, the works.
    Maybe have him known as "The Adversary" to binders of Magidin, but a different name to those who bind him. "The Adversary" could similarly have an alternate name for Magidin. Also, for the record, my name is the Italian word for book, not the astrological sign Libra with the last vowel swapped.
    Libro, Thought Made Manifest (Libro)

Vestige Level:
    3rd
    Binding DC: 20
    Special Requirement: You can't be bound to Libro and Magidin at the same time.

Legend: In life, Libro was a powerful soulknife. However making his thoughts manifest wasn't enough for Libro, he wanted to shape reality itself. He sought to become a godmind, a deity made of thought and psionic energy (The Psion Incarnates from the Expanded Psionics Handbook are a lesser form of this power). In order to accomplish his goal, he undertook a ritual in a major metropolis on the winter solstice. Had it succeeded, it would have snuffed out the life force of everything in a two mile radius in order to elevate his own. Unfortunately, he was interrupted by a Dwarf that, until very recently, was only known as The Thoughtquencher. The Thoughtquencher fought Libro to stop the ritual, unleashing his chaotic powers. Had he arrived a few minutes earlier, the ritual could have been stopped, and if he was a few minutes late, it would have been complete, but as it stood, his interference brought the ritual down on them, making them both vestiges.

Manifestation: A purple flame burns in the center of the seal, which slowly forms into a skeleton. Sinew then forms around the bones, though the skull remains bare. Eventually, it finishes re-forming him, a lithe human male with his skull still surrounded by purple flame.

Sign: While bound to Libro, your eyes are replaced with purple flames. This doesn't effect your ability to see, but it is very noticeable unless you cover your eyes.

Influence: While bound to Libro, you are required to accept any challenge that would not go against your morals or subject you to immediate danger. In combat, you must attack a Dwarf in favor of other viable targets if able.

Granted Powers:
    Fickle Fortune: Whenever you or someone within 30 feet from you makes an attack roll, saving throw, skill check or other use of a d20, you may force them to re-roll and accept the new result. In addition, you may apply a +2 bonus or -2 penalty to that re-roll. When your binder level is 8 and every 3 binder levels thereafter, this bonus or penalty increases by one, to a maximum of +/-7 at 20th level. Once you use this ability, you may not use it for 5 turns.

Mental Cantrips: You may manifest conceal thoughts, detect psionics, empathy and my light as psi-like abilities at will. You must show Libro's sign to use this ability.

Psychic Agility: You get the benefits of the Speed of Thought and Up the Walls feats, even if you don't meet the prerequisites. You count as psionically focused for these feats, even if you otherwise aren't psionically focused.

Summon Mindblade: You may summon a mindblade as a soulknife (Ultimate Psionics by Dreamscarred Press for Pathfinder) and have the enhance mind blade class feature of a soulknife half your binder level. Initially this manifests as a short sword, but you may change it as a full-round action as though you had the Emulate Melee Weapon blade skill. If you meditate for 10 minutes, you may have your mind blade work as though it was modified by an archetype (mind bolt, empowered strikes, etc.) If you chose a mind bolt this way, you may spend a full-round action to modify it as though you had the Emulate Ranged Weapon blade skill.

If you can already summon a mind blade, instead your binder levels stack for advancing your enhance mind blade class feature.

Psionic Prowess: You may manifest powers as though you were a Gifted Blade (Ultimate Psionics by Dreamscarred Press for Pathfinder), using your binder level as your manifester level, though you only have the power points of a Psychic Warrior half your binder level (rounded down), though you gain bonus power points for a high Wisdom.

If you can already manifest powers, you gain those powers as bonus powers known and the power points as bonus power points, though without any extra due to a high Wisdom.

Libro may be bound via the Improved Bind Vestige feat, though they only get the Psychic Agility ability. Those with the Practiced Binder feat also gain the Mental Cantrips ability.

Sorry to dip into Pathfinder, but if you want a even halfway decent Soulknife, you've gotta use DSP. I gave him a luck based power because I got a weapon summoning power on my vestige, so there was clearly some exchange in the affair.

Also, I kinda cribbed from The Dresden Files when making the legend, but it's a cool enough origin that nobody cares.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-10-12 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Barbarian in the Playground

[CENTER]Libro, Thought Made Manifest (Libro)
    -snip-
    Very cool. Makes me want to look into a binder/soulknife, or at least a soulknife with the feats that allow binding. (I probably need to re-read Tome of Magic....)

The concept of an exchange gives me an idea. Maybe their fight made an entity out of psionics & chaotic magic. I'll see what can be created when I'm done with college classes today.

Sorry to dip into Pathfinder, but if you want a even halfway decent Soulknife, you've gotta use DSP. I gave him a luck based power because I got a weapon summoning power on my vestige, so there was clearly some exchange in the affair.
    3.5 soulknife really is bad. I'm playing a back-ported PF soulknife(soul bolt) in a play by post at the moment. Although he hasn't seen combat yet, stat-wise he already seems better than the 3.5 soulknife.

Reminds me I need to get working on making Starcraft-based psionic classes..... starting with Dark Templar
    Last edited by Grand Arbiter; 2016-10-12 at 08:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Ohh ohh. Can I be a vestige? Notes for Creators: Look at my avatar.
    Xavier, the Kinslayer (LordOfCain)

An ancient mageknight who slew his own corrupt family.
    Vestige Level: 1st.
    Binding DC: 15.

Legend: Xavier was a mage in ancient times, trained with spell and sword as all his family were. They ruled an empire with an iron fist, slowly expanding out from their homeland razing and pillaging as they went. They became known as the Bloody Lords, such was their penchant for murder, torture, and sadism, and such was their love of these things they did not reject the title but embraced it, making their sigil be a flayed man, bleeding across his whole body.

Xavier knew that to openly oppose these practices would be his death, yet the whole disgusted him. He went along with their evil out of fear, but the idea came to him that he could kill them. One by one he arranged their deaths: friendly fire on the battlefield, accidents, disease, poison, being delivered to rebels by someone. It was difficult work to keep his own role a secret, but Xavier persevered killing one after another. Death in cold blood. Murder of the unsuspecting. There was no honor, merely kin slaying, but one by one the extended family was whittled down, till only 5 of the Bloody Lords remained, Xavier, his parents, and two of his siblings.

Xavier personally ended the three, revealing it all to his father as his cold steel pierced through the wizard-king’s heart, condemning the man already near the end of his life to die knowing his son had ended his line. Even Xavier’s mother, already dying of age was not spared Xavier’s blade.

His family slain Xavier declared himself king, declared a new age, an age of peace and fairness where the common man would no longer be oppressed, where the lords would no longer be bloody. In his speech he spoke to his allies in the rebellion, telling them that they had won, that they’d be assured a high place in the new order. He spoke of the certainty of a new, fairer, nobler world. He was killed in his sleep by the same rebels he had allied himself with, by those he had trusted like family.

The gods of good rejected him as a kin slayer, banishing him to the Lower Planes. His soul was condemned to a hell of its own making, to eternal torture in Dis at the hands of the family he had himself slain, the lemures they had become, the imps and spinagons they ascended to. To be torn down and torn down until ready to become a lemure itself, until there was no trace of good left in him. Such woul have been the fate of Xavier’s soul had not a paladin on some noble quest which led him deep into the Lower Planes found Xavier. The paladin drove the devil’s away, for even an evil soul should not be condemned to such a horrible punishment, and he sundered the chains of green steel which bound Xavier’s soul releasing it from its imprisonment. Xavier fled, through some chance managing to escape Baator, but when it did it could find no rest elsewhere, for the Planes and gods still rejected him as a kin slayer. Unable to find rest the soul grew more and more detached from the Great Wheel until it had become just another vestige.

Manifestation: Xavier appears in the seal as a pale skinned, dark haired man dressed in black. Blood slowly drips from beneath his clothes as the pact is made.

Sign: Dark rings form under your eyes, your skin elsewhere growing paler.

Influence: While Xavier is bound you must not kill a living creature.

Granted Powers:

Parry Spell: As an immediate action you may replace your AC against a ray, or other ranged touch attack, with a melee attack roll. To use this ability you must be aware of the attack, and holding a melee weapon that you are proficient with which is not part of your body, or worn as armor (such as armor spikes, or a gauntlet), a shield may be used this way. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds to use it again.

Learn Death: By touching a corpse or part thereof you may, as a standard action, learn the circumstances of its death to the best of its knowledge as it died, as well as who killed it (if it knew). This only gives you information directly related to its final demise. For example if slavers threw them to dogs that ate them they would know they were eaten by dogs, and killed by dogs; the slavers would not be mentioned.

Sorcery and Sword in Accord: Whenever you cast a spell, use a spell-like ability, or use a supernatural ability as a standard action you gain a +1 bonus to melee attack and damage until the end of your next turn; this bonus increases to +2 at 5th level, and +3 at 12th level. This bonus does not apply to attacks made with touch spells (unless carried on an unarmed strike or natural weapon) or supernatural touch attacks.

Subduing Blows: While Xavier is bound whenever you deal damage you may choose to have it be nonlethal damage instead. If you deal damage to multiple creatures at once such as due to an attack which affects an area) you may choose which to deal lethal or nonlethal damage to individually.

Sword and Sorcery in Accord: Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature which poses you a clear and immediate danger (not a friendly sparring match) you gain a +1 to caster level on spells that include it in their area of effect or targets for 1 round, and a +1 to effective binder level for activated vestige abilities which target it or include it in their area of effect until the end of your next turn.

For Contractors: Soulreaving Aura.

With Bind Vestige: When bound through Bind Vestige Xavier grants Sorcery and Sword in Accord. If you also have Practiced Binder he grants Subduing Blows.

Vestige Mastery – Xavier [General]
    You are able to draw more talent of swordplay from your sorcery, and to not merely parry rays but to deflect them towards new targets entirely.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Xavier), Spellcraft 2 ranks.
    Benefit: While Xavier is bound you gain several advantages. When you use a spell trigger, spell completion, or command word magic item with a standard action activation time you gain the benefit for Sorcery and Sword in Accord. When you perform an action that does not require a standard action but if it required a standard action would trigger Sorcery and Sword in Accord you may (as a free action) have it trigger Sorcery and Sword in Accord; once you have done so you cannot cause a non-standard action to trigger it again for 5 rounds. Finally when you use Parry Spell you may choose a new target for the ray or effect within its range treating your square as its square of origin. You do not make an attack roll, instead using the original caster/attacker’s attack roll at -4. You may choose to have any damage dealt by the deflected ray be nonlethal.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #285

Xavier, the Kinslayer (LordOfCain)

Awesomeness
    Thanks! Really like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Permission, Pema
    School transmutation; Level schlep 1

CASTING
    Casting Time 1 minute
    Components E, T, F (a laptop with internet connection)

EFFECT
    Range Personal
    Target You
    Duration Instantaneous
    Saving Throw None (Harmless); Spell Resistance No

DESCRIPTION
    You weave a pointlessly overwrought joke, allowing any creature on the Giant in the Playground forums to write you into a feat, spell, template, weapon, deity, vestige, skill, midsize sedan, souffle recipe, etc. for the D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder game systems. If a creature does so, they must notify with a link to content.
    Nova, the Binder of Dragons (Novawurmson)

Nova was a binder who specialized in draconic vestiges, but was tricked into exchanging places with one.
    Vestige Level: 4th.
    Binding DC: 18.

Legend: Nova Wyrmson was a binder of draconic descent. Said to have been one of the earliest and greatest binders of his day, and perhaps a contemporary of Ipos or Dahvler-Nar. Nova was particularly known for binding those vestiges which had once been dragons in life, for the raw power he could draw from his binds which make some suspect he was not a binder at all but one of the first contractors or vestige priests. Whatever the truth, Nova’s mastery of pact magic was legendary, especially his ability with a dragon turned vestige whose name is now lost to history.

Nova’s ambition was as great as his talents however, and like many who deal with the beings of the Void he grew too hungry for power and he made a mistake. His patron vestige offered him a special pact, even greater power in exchange for a small exchange of their own vital essences. Nova agreed, and his power became truly great, but the pact would not end, and each day he could feel himself slipping further into the void, more of the dragon vestige entering where his soul was pushed out. He attempted all the techniques he knew to exorcise this spirit, turning even to the gods, but they were of no help, and bit by bit he lost his position, the dragon vestige finding new life in his body, and his own soul passing into the Void.

Manifestation: A draconic maw made of shadows rises up from the center of the seal, and as it pulls away Nova can be seen, a man with red tattoos across his face, and hints of draconic scales on his throat and wrists. “Welcome, pact maker,” He says as the process begins.

Sign:Red text appears across parts of your face and torso, the writing seemingly that of some contract or pact.

Influence: While under Nova’s influence you must stick to the letter of any pact or agreement you make.

Granted Powers:

Expel Possessor: As a standard action you may attempt to force a possessing spirit out of a creature with a melee touch. This ability can expel fiends of possessing, possessing spirits (using the ECS or FCI possession rules), the control by intelligent magic weapons, spirits possessing a creature through Magic Jar, Mind Switch, or True Mind Switch, as well as vestiges and similar entities. The possessing entity must make a Will save or be expelled, or in the case of a vestige (or similar entity) the binder must make a Will save. If an entity is possessed by multiple creatures at once each creature must make a saving throw separately (or the binder must make a separate Will save for each vestige). If an entity possessing a body through True Mind Switch is expelled in this way they die. If a vestige is expelled this way it still counts against the number bound, but the binder loses all abilities granted by it until 10 minutes pass and they go through the act of making a pact with it again at which time they regain all granted powers; if they had a poor pact before the vestige was expelled they maintain a poor pact afterwards, if they had a good pact they must make a new binding check and risk making a poor pact. Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Facilitate Pact: While Nova is bound you gain a +4 to your binding checks, as well as to ability or skill checks made to make pacts or deals of other sorts. This bonus increases to +6 for binding checks to make pacts with other draconic vestiges (Eligor, Ashardalon, Draconium, Zaydos, Pyrohignus, Jormund, Librannon, and Nykthog, as well as other dragon themed vestiges at the DM’s discretion; Nova would be included but only other draconic vestiges are affected).

Improved Draconic Pacts: When you bind a draconic vestige other than Nova (see Facilitate Pact for list) you gain a +2 to your effective binder level for the purposes of the powers granted by it while Nova is bound. In addition when you use a power granted by another draconic vestige which requires you to wait 5 rounds before using it again you may use it again 1 round sooner (this ability cannot reduce the wait to below 3 rounds even if combined with other abilities which reduce this wait).

Improved Pact Augmentation: While Nova is bound you may select 1 additional pact augmentation (as the binder class feature) over the number granted to you due to class levels (if you have none this allows you to select a single one). In addition you gain +2 damage to attacks for each time you have selected +1 damage as a pact augmentation (instead of +1), and if your effective binder level for Nova is greater than 10 you gain hit points equal to ½ your binder level (for Nova) instead of +5 for each time you choose to gain bonus hit points.

Tap Connection: You gain the ability to draw additional power from the mystic connection to your vestiges. As a swift action, choose one pact augmentation ability that you are currently benefiting from. You gain an increased benefit from that augmentation for one round. You must wait 5 rounds after the ability ends to use this ability again.

• Hit points - Gain temporary hit points equal to your binder level or your bonus hit points from pact augmentation, whichever is greater. These stack with temporary hit points from other sources, but never from additional uses of tap connection.
    • Energy Resistance - Increase the energy resistance to one form of energy from pact augmentation by half your binder level. If this brings your resistance from pact augmentation to 30 or more, you gain immunity to that energy type instead. You can choose to gain this energy resistance to an energy source you don't currently have resistance from, but the resistance overlaps (does not stack) with any source other than pact augmentation.
    • Saving Throws - Increase the Saving Throw bonus from pact augmentation by an amount equal to one quarter your binder level (min. 1).
    • Damage Reduction - Increase the damage reduction from pact augmentation by an amount equal to one quarter your binder level (minimum 1).
    • Armor Class - Increase the Armor Class bonus from pact augmentation by an amount equal to one quarter your binder level (min. 1).
    • Attack rolls - Increase your bonus to attack rolls from pact augmentation by an amount equal to one quarter your binder level (min. 1).
    • Damage rolls - Increase your bonus to damage rolls from pact augmentation by an amount equal to one half your binder level (min. 1).
    • Initiative checks - Roll your initiative twice and take either result. Using this ability is a free action instead of a swift action and can only be taken when you roll initiative. This still prevents you from using tap connection again for five rounds.

Stolen from here because it is a really neat and flavorful ability did change the saves to match attack/AC a bit more, and so that all abilities would work as a per encounter instead of daily limit (this included reducing duration to 1 round to make it a short term spike buff).

Wyrmson: You gain the dragonblood subtype and may speak Draconic.

For Contractors: Draconic Flight.

Vestige Mastery – Nova [General]
    You are better able to expel possessing spirits and to draw energy from your pacts while Nova is bound.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Nova), Knowledge (the Planes) 7 ranks.
    Benefit: While Nova is bound when you use his Expel Possessor ability you do not need to make a melee touch but may use it upon a creature within 30 ft. In addition when you use his Tap Connection ability it lasts or 2 rounds instead of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Thanks! Really like it!
    Glad to hear it.

Current Projects:

17. - Top - End - #287
    Colossus in the Playground

No one told me about this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Very cool. Makes me want to look into a binder/soulknife, or at least a soulknife with the feats that allow binding. (I probably need to re-read Tome of Magic....)
    You'd need Improved Bind Vestige, and (though I haven't written it down yet) you'd only get the Psychic Agility ability, or the Mental Cantrips one if you had the Practiced Binder feat.Though if you're allowed Pathfinder psionic feats, taking Fighter's Blade and becoming a Soulknife 3/Binder 6/Soulknife 11 is a viable possibility. If you can get psionic version of an Anima Mage (which was suggested in its Adaption segment) and get an alternate prerequisite (because you don't generally manifest in the classical sense), a build of Soulknife 3/Binder 3/Anima Mage 10/Soulknife 3/Binder 2 is a very interesting one, especially if you take the Fighter's Blade feat at 3rd level, letting you go 4 levels away from Soulknife, but still advancing your Enhanced Mind Blade (You can actually go for 5 levels, as you get the last advancement of that feature at 19th level).

There is a Pathfinder version of the Binder (that you can find here), but it'd require a bit of adaption.

The concept of an exchange gives me an idea. Maybe their fight made an entity out of psionics & chaotic magic. I'll see what can be created when I'm done with college classes today.
    Looking forward to whatever you build.

3.5 soulknife really is bad. I'm playing a back-ported PF soulknife(soul bolt) in a play by post at the moment. Although he hasn't seen combat yet, stat-wise he already seems better than the 3.5 soulknife.
    Bards, already Mimetic Losers, are better than the 3.5 Soulknife. Sure, they don't have the not-properly-scaling magic weapon, but they do get 6th casting to make up for that horrible, horrible loss.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-10-12 at 10:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Bards, already Mimetic Losers, are better than the 3.5 Soulknife. Sure, they don't have the not-properly-scaling magic weapon, but they do get 6th casting to make up for that horrible, horrible loss.
    This would mean more if outside of Core Bards weren't actually stronger than the majority of classes in the game (actually even in Core the 3.5 bard isn't that bad).

3.5 Soulknife is worse than Fighter, though, and quite possibly monk. And CWar Samurai. Oh and Truenamer. And...

Does 3.5 Soulknife actually keep up with a Warrior that has PC ability scores and gear?

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This would mean more if outside of Core Bards weren't actually stronger than the majority of classes in the game (actually even in Core the 3.5 bard isn't that bad).

3.5 Soulknife is worse than Fighter, though, and quite possibly monk. And CWar Samurai. Oh and Truenamer. And...

Does 3.5 Soulknife actually keep up with a Warrior that has PC ability scores and gear?
    Depends on what you mean by Warrior and gear. The Soulknife is losing 1/4 levels in BAB in exchange for more cash, if he can make that cash worth it he wins even without his other class abilities. NPC Warrior has literally no class abilities.

Not sure I'd say it's worse than Monk though, monks rely heavily on magic items and potentially obscure splatbook stuff, particularly for their attacks. Soulknives have a built in magic weapon and can just Power Attack, plus Psychic Strike for a tad more at the start of combat. I'd say Monk only wins if Stunning Fist is commonly useful, which I am skeptical of. Truenamer's a pretty bold claim too, I'll take sub-par bases and a discount weapon over class features that actively want to fail any day.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2016-10-13 at 04:00 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Figure I might as well toss myself in if I'm going to be making things of other folks
    Guigarci, Cleverer than Death (Guigarci)

A clever shadow genasi who outwitted Death himself.
    Vestige Level: 3rd.
    Binding DC: 20.

Legend: Now we’ve all heard about how you can play a game against Death for your life, yet you’d think if it was a test of logic and cold reasoning some great archmage would win and we wouldn’t have ‘em all turnin’ themselves into liches, and sacrificing the spice of life for the cold taste of ash, the vibrant colors for the dull shadows viewed by the undead. Yet they turn to it all the time. So why if they could live forever?

Well let me tell ya ‘bout a man who did just that, a man who beat Death ‘imself in a game of logic and cold reason, who took Death’s very king in a game of Chess. Guigarci was ‘is name, and tales say ‘e had the blood of the shadow jinn in his veins. Now this Guigarci was no tower dwellin’ archmage, in fact not but a dabbler in the sorcerer’s craft. Yet ‘is cunnin’ was brilliant they say, ‘is clever mind able to work in knots and loops that’d befuddle us common folks.

‘e was a layabout and a drifter, always goin’ from place to place and ‘opin’ to reach it before ‘is reputation did. ‘e lived a conman’s life at places, trickin’ folks to make ‘imself a fortune, but quick as ‘e made it, ‘e’d spend it too. ‘e was sharp, though, always able to find a way to make ‘imself a new fortune, and capable at whatever ‘e chose. If ‘e’d chosen an honest life ‘e might ‘ave become a magistrate or governor famous for ‘is laws, a lawyer to lick the Devil King Mephistopheles ‘imself, but ‘e didn’t want none of that. ‘E chose not to put down stakes, not to be pinned like that, but to travel on the wind itself.

Now I could tell ya a dozen stories about ‘ow ol’ Guigarci outwitted the cloud giant and stole its gold, or ‘ow ‘e stopped the rampage of the black unicorn with nothin’ more than the clothes on ‘is back, a sack of wheat, and an apple, or maybe ‘ow ‘e outwitted the mind flayers and why they stay away from the sun to this day, but that’s not the story for the evenin’ now is it. No, ya wante to know why wizards don’t just beat Death in his game.

Well one day ol’ Guigarci heard ‘bout the Witch Lady of Tarjun Bog, yes that Tarjun Bog, so listen up and maybe ya youngun’s can learn why ya are supposed to stay out of it. Now I could tell ya a few tales ‘bout the Witch Lady ‘erself, ‘ow the gods of tricks had a contest to see who could fool ‘er best, and ‘ow they each realized the Witch Lady had played ‘em and not ‘em played ‘er. And it’s that tale that ol’ Guigarci ‘eard, and ‘e thought to ‘imself well she might ‘ave licked ‘em gods, but she’s never seen the likes of Guigarci the Brilliant, for ‘e was a bit arrogant, ‘e was.

Well Guigarci tried ‘is trics on the Witch Lady and she saw through each and every one of ‘em, but Guigarci didn’t realize that at all till it was too late. The Witch Lady laid a seemin’ on her ‘ut and made it all look different so that the oven looked like the exit and the exit the oven, and when Guigarci went to flee carryin’ what ‘e believed was the Witch Lady’s secret treasure, ‘e was in oven ere ‘e knew it, and only realized what had ‘appened when the door slammed shut behind him and the heat came on.

Now Guigarci met a grissly fate, cooked and eatin’ by the ol’ Witch Lady, for she was a fearsome ogress and like most ogress ‘ags had a ‘ankerin’ for people flesh, ‘specially that of young children. ‘is story doesn’t end ‘ere though. After all, Guigarci did beat Death, I told ya that at the beginnin’. So Death came to take Guigarci away, still upset ‘bout that time ‘e was shoved into a sack but that’s another story, and ol’ Guigarci objected, sayin’ “now now, don’t I get a chance to beat ya and live, a game of chess, it’s tradition, ain’t it?”

Death scowled, but that was the rules, a game of chess to escape, and Death nodded to it. “YES SIR,” ‘e said in that voice of ‘is, “BEAT ME AND I CAN’T TAKE YOU.”

And Guigarci smiled and they played their game. In the end Guigarci won it too, and Death sighed. “I win I get to live,” Guigarci said, a grin on ‘is face, smug and confident as an elf.

Then it was Death’s turn to grin. “NOW, NOW, NO ONE SAID YOU’D LIVE, ONLY THAT I[size] COULDN’T TAKE YOU.[/size]”

“So what does that mean?” Guigarci asked, “I become a ghost?”

Death shook ‘is ‘ead, “YOU HAVEN’T GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO STAY A GHOST, I’D JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOU IN A FEW WEEKS. NOPE, I CAN’T TAKE YOU, BUT THAT JUST MEANS YOU GO THE ONE PLACE I CANNOT. TELL, SEGEV I’M WAITING IF HE EVER WANTS TO LEAVE.” And with that Guigarci felt ‘imself pulled out to that place Death cannot reach, but which no man really wants to go, save Segev that is. And that’s why wizards don’t play Chess with Death, cause to lose is better than to win.

A DC 25 Bardic Knowledge check.

Manifestation: Shadows cover the seal and begin to bubble up into a humanoid form. Slowly this humanoid mass of shadows takes on the appearance of a dark grey-skinned man, black tattoos across his bald head. A sly smile grows on his face as he begins to make the pact.

Sign: Your shadow grows overly large and dark, even in the brightest light, and even when light seems to come from all sides.

Influence: While Guigarci is bound you mustn’t pass up the chance to show you’re cleverer than another, or how you can trick someone.

Granted Powers:

Guigarci’s Knack: You are considered to have ranks in each skill equal to 1 plus ½ your binder level in each skill you have at least 1 skill rank in, or your real ranks in that skill whichever is higher.

Inspired Brilliance: Before making an attack roll, damage roll, saving throw, or making a Strength or Dexterity check or based skill check, you may use this ability to add your Intelligence as a competence bonus on the roll (min +1). Alternatively as a free action you may use this ability to gain a Dodge bonus equal to your Intelligence modifier to AC against 1 opponent for 1 round (min +1). Finally if you possess any abilities which use Inspiration Points you may use this ability in place of spending Inspiration points on that ability, if you do so you treat that ability as having the minimum number of inspiration points required spent upon it. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Shadow Cloak:While within 5 ft of shadowy illumination (as viewed by a creature that lacks low-light vision) you may hide without cover or concealment even while observed.

Sharper than a Knife: You gain a +4 bonus to Intelligence; this bonus to Intelligence does not affect the save DCs of spells based on Intelligence, nor does it grant bonus spells per day if you gain Intelligence based bonus spells, but it applies for all other purposes.

Trickster’s Luck: You may re-roll a skill check as a free action. If you do so you may take either result but suffer a -2 penalty to whichever you choose to use. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds to do so again.

For Contractors: Beguiling Influence.

With (Improved) Bind Vestige: When bound through Impoved Bind Vestige Guigarci grants Inspired Brilliance. If you also have Practiced Binder he grants Trickster’s Luck.

Vestige Mastery – Guigarci [General]
    You are able to draw inspiration from the rogue who beat death, mimicking his brilliance with your own.
    Prerequisites: Brains over Brawns, Favored Vestige (Guigarci), Intelligence 15+ without Guigarci.
    Benefits: While Guigarci is bound you gain Inspiration points equal to ½ your effective binder level (for Guigarci), and gain the Shadow Surge ability as an additional granted ability.

Shadow Surge: While within 5 ft of shadowy illumination (as viewed by a creature without low-light vision) you may use this ability as a free action to take an extra standard action during your turn. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds to do so again.

Current Projects:

22. - Top - End - #292
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looking forward to whatever you build.
    Hopefully either tomorrow or this weekend I can manage to put it together. Time has been too scarce.

Any ideas? All I have so far is maybe a sentient living spell or something like that.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Hopefully either tomorrow or this weekend I can manage to put it together. Time has been too scarce.

Any ideas? All I have so far is maybe a sentient living spell or something like that.
    Other than it should manifest as the medallion of my character made of the purple energy of your character, I have one thing: the "living spell" is the remnant of the divinity that Libro was trying to invoke.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-10-13 at 11:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

permission granted. I love binder
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

for amechra

Amechra the firstbattle sister
    Manifestation fully armored female lands in circle asking you to be ready
    Sign luminescent halo appears back of your head
    Granted abilities

• Bolter proficiency amechra teaches you to how to handle oversized hand crossbows as long as you bind amechra the first battle sister you gain weapon proficiency hand crossbow and you can full attack with them
    • Armor of faithful amechra shows you to how to summon her power armor as swift action on your turn you can summon medium bipedal mech armor and don it. This armor stays on you until either you release it as free action or your pact with amechra ends
    • Grace of sisters while you bind amechra the first battle sister you can add twice of your charisma bonus to any attack, skill or defense rolls
    • Judge the heathen amechra guides you to paths you never knew while you bind amechra the first battle sister you can use judgment ability of inquisitor. Your inquisitor level equal to your binder level
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2016-10-15 at 01:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

*BING*
    Spoiler: Probably.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

you know marlowe if you realy want you can make one hell of a deadpool comic or shadow warrior game you nailed the 4th wall breaking style of either of them perfectly

28. - Top - End - #298

It's been a while since I had Charlotte Hepner use the little yellow text boxes as stepping-stones.

I'm amused that people think it's odd that the characters break the fourth wall, considering that this whole thing started by having them directly address the reader.

Also; I cheated on that second to last one. That Chivvay-Kai bridge? It's actually a MUSAI bridge! HA! Murder, that is what I get away with.

And I'm sorry if anyone was bored (assuming anyone was reading) by the long Gundam battle sequence but I DID feel like I wimped out on the last space battle and wanted to do this one properly.

29. - Top - End - #299

BardGuy

Not at all, Marlowe. I am both amused and intrigued by the hopping back and forth. I want to know what happened to the other group, but I want to know what the new group is up to since I saw them last.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

well i prefer tiefling trio as focus they are somehow easier to understand yes even emogrenko and kgirl is easier to understand then whole gundam ship fest on other team but the funny thing is factotum one acknowledged that she and crew is in comic so what's next deadpool style panel assembly or straight up talking with marlowe/ reader

side note I realy want to see starfinder publish mech pilot class so marlowe can use starfinder material as gundam groups focus but with my rotten luck she will create third group focus on starfinder adventures maybe k girl and emogrenko transfer starfinder team with reinforce as their babysitter