New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Meditation/Levitation [Class Ability]

Okay, this is a Meditation (with Levitation) ability for a homebrewed Mystic class that I'm writing up. I'm posting this separate from the rest of the class just because I have so much to say about it. I tried to say everything that could be said, to avoid creative interpretations and misuse. I'll post the full class in a day or two probably, after I see what kind of response this gets.

What you should know before you read this: This is a class ability for mystics only. No one else can Meditate or Levitate. Mystics are support/healing/utility/defensive buff characters, kind of like a very conservatively played cleric (ie not tanking). They're basically my "uncivilized" cleric, they get healing and a bunch of cool abilities but no offensive spells or offensive buff spells, and they have 1/2 BAB and only simple proficiencies. Levitation is intended to be a utility-type ability, not something to help in combat, although it could help a little bit.

Also, if it seems like I'm posting a lot lately, it's not that I've been very creative, just that I've been sitting on things and just now posting them here. I've had this worked out for a couple months just tweaking it before it's presented for review.

Once again, please comment and tell me what you think, be descriptive or critical if you can or want to, but just saying "nice work" would be appreciated also.

Meditation: A mystic may enter a meditative state with a Concentration check DC 10. If the mystic fails the check he may retry at no penalty (except during combat, see below). For mystics, all Concentration checks use the Intelligence modifier instead of Constitution. While meditating, a mystic gains Fast Healing equal to his Wisdom modifier (if positive); this quality comes into effect on the start of the mystic's next turn after entering meditation. Additionally, because their minds are not focused on the Material Plane, a mystic gains a +10 bonus on saves against mind-affecting spells or spell-like abilities while meditating. A mystic needs to succeed on a DC 15 Concentration check every round in order to continue meditation; a mystic may take 10 on this check when not in combat or otherwise stressed.

Starting to meditate is a move action for a mystic, and it provokes an attack of opportunity from any opponent who threatens the mystic. If the attack of opportunity succeeds, the DC for the mystic to enter meditation is increased by the amount of damage dealt. Failing to enter meditation during combat still uses the move action. If a mystic is attacked while meditating, they must succeed on a Concentration check in the same way (DC = 15+ damage dealt) in order to remain meditating. Ending meditation is a free action for the mystic that provokes no attacks of opportunity.

While meditating, a mystic does not threaten any squares and therefore cannot take attacks of opportunity and cannot provide flanking for another character. A meditating mystic is not aware of their surroundings; they automatically fail any Spot or Listen checks, and count as flat-footed (but not helpless) against attacks. A mystic may choose to be aware while meditating, but they must add 5 to the DC of any Concentration check related to their meditation. A meditating mystic who is aware is not considered flat-footed, and may make Listen and Spot checks at a -5 penalty, but cannot attack or take any other action. They may still apply their Wisdom modifier to their AC if attacked while meditating. A mystic may not move while meditating unless he uses the special levitation ability.

A meditating mystic has the extraordinary ability to levitate. At any time while meditating, a mystic may make a DC 15 concentrate check to begin levitating. During levitation, the mystic's body is 6 inches above the ground. Mystics can levitate over any solid or liquid surface, provided that they stood or sat on it when the levitation started, or if they moved there. Beginning to levitate is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, however a mystic may not begin levitating on their first turn of meditation. Maintaining levitation requires a Concentration check at DC 15 + 1 per round the mystic has been levitating. This check replaces the standard check to remain in meditation. While levitating, a mystic may move 5 feet per round if they make their Concentration check to stay levitating. However, for each consecutive round the mystic moves while levitating, the DC of the Concentration check increases by 2. A mystic can move without being aware, but he risks running into enemies (and walls!). A mystic cannot take the "5 foot step" action while levitating.

Mystics may move vertically while levitating, but at a penalty. Upward movement is at a speed of up to 5ft per round, downward at a speed of up to 10ft per round. The Concentration check to remain levitating if the mystic has moved upwards has a DC = 15 + (1/round levitating) + (height in feet above starting height of levitation). If the mystic moves over a pit or overhang while levitating and is greater than 6 inches above the ground, he descends automatically at 10ft/round until he has reached his previous levitating height.

At 13th level a mystic gains Improved levitation, making the DC increase by only 1 per 5 feet of movement, and letting him move up to 10 feet horizontally or upwards in a single turn (although then the DC does increase by 2). Downward speed is increased to 20ft/round.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Meditation/Levitation [Class Ability]

Seems a bit potent. Overall, not too great, until you read the Fast Healing = to Wis Modifier. That means, after any combat, the Mystic is healed, fully. The DCs are low, and any Mystic will alwyas make the DC 10 (by taking 10), or easily 15 (by 4 ranks), even at first level.

The fast healing gets me though. Really quite potent for a first level character to get.

I assume you'll gain other things to do during a Meditation, through the class?
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I don't like the fast healing either.
    It might work as something the character aquires at a higher level. And it should be a full-round action, while meditating.

I very much like the idea, though.

Will the mystic be able to cast spells while meditating?

4. - Top - End - #4

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Seems a bit potent. Overall, not too great, until you read the Fast Healing = to Wis Modifier. That means, after any combat, the Mystic is healed, fully. The DCs are low, and any Mystic will alwyas make the DC 10 (by taking 10), or easily 15 (by 4 ranks), even at first level.

The fast healing gets me though. Really quite potent for a first level character to get.

I assume you'll gain other things to do during a Meditation, through the class?
    Hm, I think I'll change Fast Healing as something gained a few levels up, or as just half Wis modifier.

This is pretty much it for the Meditation/Levitation class ability, I don't have any other uses for it written up, but if you can think of something please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Abjurer View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the fast healing either.
    It might work as something the character aquires at a higher level. And it should be a full-round action, while meditating.

I very much like the idea, though.

Will the mystic be able to cast spells while meditating?
    No spellcasting, as I said they may not attack or take any other action. All you can do while meditating is have fast healing and levitate (if you choose to).

Also, keep in mind that levitation has DC increased by 5 if the mystic wants to be able to look where he's going.

5. - Top - End - #5

I have a couple questions/comments:

1. You say that when a Mystic begins levitating the check to remain meditating is replaced by the check to remain levitating. If that check were to be failed the Mystic would stp levitating; that much is clear. However, it is unclear if the Mystic remains meditating even after that check is failed or if the meditation is also stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Maintaining levitation requires a Concentration check at DC 15 + 1 per round the mystic has been levitating... for each consecutive round the mystic moves while levitating, the DC of the Concentration check increases by 2.
    2. When moving while levitating is the DC 15 + 1/round of levitation without movement + 2/round of levitation with movement or 15 + 1/round of levitation without movement + 3/round of levitation with movement?

3. Finally I'd just like to say that personally I'd make all the checks to maintain meditation and levitation not Concentration Check based on Int, but a Mystic Cless Level Check that also adds Int.

There's my 2 cp.

P.S. Yes the Fast Healing is way too strong. I'd say make it 1/5 Class level or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

6. - Top - End - #6

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanomicon View Post
    I have a couple questions/comments:

1. You say that when a Mystic begins levitating the check to remain meditating is replaced by the check to remain levitating. If that check were to be failed the Mystic would stp levitating; that much is clear. However, it is unclear if the Mystic remains meditating even after that check is failed or if the meditation is also stopped.

2. When moving while levitating is the DC 15 + 1/round of levitation without movement + 2/round of levitation with movement or 15 + 1/round of levitation without movement + 3/round of levitation with movement?

3. Finally I'd just like to say that personally I'd make all the checks to maintain meditation and levitation not Concentration Check based on Int, but a Mystic Cless Level Check that also adds Int.

There's my 2 cp.

P.S. Yes the Fast Healing is way too strong. I'd say make it 1/5 Class level or something like that.
    Alright, good concerns, and I'll answer them:

1) I intended it to be as such: if you fail the levitation check, your meditation and levitation end, and you become aware. You fall at normal speed towards the ground.

2) When not levitating, it's 15 + 1/round.
    When levitating, its 15 + (1/ round) + (1/ 5ft of movement)

3) That would be an option, but I like them as concentration checks. Also, there are items that give + to concentration checks that I'm okay with affecting this.

re: fast healing- Duly noted. Not 100% sure what to do with that, but I'm thinking it'll be Fast Healing = half Wis modifier, starting at level 10 or so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmm.. The fast healing would indeed mean a Mystic is always at full health, except during combat. So I'd say: consider hit dice, class abilities and multiclass-possibilities. One level mystic, rest monk = ouch.

By the way; concentration requires... Concentration. Intelligence simply takes away concentration more than it adds. So I think concentration should have wisdom as the key ability; not intelligence. Wisdom is considering things; wisdom is overview, and generally being wise. Wisdom is the constitution score of the mental stats. Intelligence more equals dexterity. How versatile are you, mentally? Charisma is sheer impact force; it's the mental Strength-stat.
    So I'd say: Make concentration work with wisdom.

The levitate ability isn't all bad; I'd keep it. It doesn't get you anywhere high, and the DC gets higher as you are trying to get farther. Now; set a rather low speed to it, and voilá. I'd say: move at half speed, since you're nearly blind while meditating. You can see where you're going, by making a conc-check, but that's about it.

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    Hmm.. The fast healing would indeed mean a Mystic is always at full health, except during combat. So I'd say: consider hit dice, class abilities and multiclass-possibilities. One level mystic, rest monk = ouch.
    True, and that's one reason it's a good idea for me to make Fast Healing only available at higher levels.

By the way; concentration requires... Concentration. Intelligence simply takes away concentration more than it adds. So I think concentration should have wisdom as the key ability; not intelligence. Wisdom is considering things; wisdom is overview, and generally being wise. Wisdom is the constitution score of the mental stats. Intelligence more equals dexterity. How versatile are you, mentally? Charisma is sheer impact force; it's the mental Strength-stat.
    So I'd say: Make concentration work with wisdom.

I initially was going to make it Wisdom, but the class was getting to be very, very "SAD" (single ability dependent) on Wisdom, so making that Int was to try and balance a little. I'll think about changing it though if I can balance that some other way.

The levitate ability isn't all bad; I'd keep it. It doesn't get you anywhere high, and the DC gets higher as you are trying to get farther. Now; set a rather low speed to it, and voilá. I'd say: move at half speed, since you're nearly blind while meditating. You can see where you're going, by making a conc-check, but that's about it.
    Hm... I know that when you're Blinded you can only move at half-speed, but meditating isn't exactly the same as just being blind, you're also not actively focused on the Material Plane. Your rate of movement while levitating is a mental exercise, and I don't think it would make sense to relate that in any way to how fast you can move by pumping your legs.

That having been said, I only decided to write the in-depth levitation rules for movement so that the ability couldn't be abused. Especially since the Mystic is a spellcaster with access to spells such as Wind Walk, the levitation ability isn't intended to be used for very much movement, only occasionally to bypass an obstacle, pit, or some such thing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

You might not be focussed on the material plane when levitating, but that's still the place where you have to move. If that's not the case, a teleport ability is, albeit more powerful, more fluff-related than levitation.
    And strictly thinking in terms of energy, pumping your legs is a lot more efficient than a constant stream of energy creating enough friction for a person to flow on. So technically, pumping your legs would get you there faster. It's more energy-efficient.

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

You might not be focussed on the material plane when levitating, but that's still the place where you have to move. If that's not the case, a teleport ability is, albeit more powerful, more fluff-related than levitation.
    And strictly thinking in terms of energy, pumping your legs is a lot more efficient than a constant stream of energy creating enough friction for a person to flow on. So technically, pumping your legs would get you there faster. It's more energy-efficient.
    That's what I'm saying, pumping your legs should be a lot faster. When I say that your mind isn't concentrated on the Material Plane, all that I mean is that your attention is elsewhere, so you can't even use a whole lot of mental energy on movement. Thus, you move very slowly, and your movement speed is more dependent on your experience as a Mystic (ie class level) than your physical body in any way. In my mind as I was writing this, I imagined a yogi sitting in a Lotus position and slowly lifting off the ground.

Does that make any more sense now?