New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default [D&D 3.5 Race] Faery - Peach appreciated

Hello, today I present you my first serious attempt to create a playable race. I've decided to create a faery race,those little things that childrens usually calls elves or faeries, indistinctly. Obviously I've tried to made them so that a player could have fun while using them. Well, here they are:

Faeries

Spoiler
    Show

Credits to Patsy for the wonderful image!

Personality
    Faeries are first of all shy. Between them they are playful and joyful; they are also curious by nature and when they find a traveler passing by their woods they try to follow him, using their ability to alter their size into a diminutive one to not getting spotted; they never have bad intentions, they're just fascinated by other people.
    However, they can proove themselves to be bitter enemies to those who try to invade their woods with bad intentions. They rarely attack openly, preferring to disturb their enemies without signaling their presence but if things go worst they are ready to take up their bows and spears to defend the trees where they live, altering their size to small to deal deadliest damage.

Physical Description
    Faeries usually are 6 to 8 inches tall and are usually very thin. Their faces resemble those of the elves but their ears are proportionally longer. Their skin is usually very pale. Their hair colours are silver, black, red, light blue, dark brown or light brown; their hairstyle are somewhat unique: males comb their hairs upwards combed like a crescent moon, while females comb their hairs with a lot of small braids, often tied together. They usually have green or black eyes.
    All faeries have dragonfly or butterfly wings.

Relations
    Faeries rarely show themselves to other races. They find the "civilized" races to be strange, because a creature who choose to live in a building all made up with stone must be insane. They get along well with elves and gnomes however, because these races share their love for nature. Faeries even have good relationships with good and neutral druids, while they tend to avoid those evil. They are somewhat intimidated by dwarves because of their rough behaviour.

Alignment
    Faeries are gentle and kind but if they can they prefer to mind their own business. The average faery could be neutral or neutral good.

Lands
    Faeries inhabit woods and forest, but many also live among the rivers.

Society
    Faeries lives in tribal monarchies. A tribe is ruled by a king choosen by the elders' council and these sovereign rules with the aid of said elders.

Religion
    Faeries do not have an official religion. If they must worship something, they prefer to adore the sun or the moon. However some faeries, usually those who live near an elven community, worship Corellon Larethian.

Language
    Faeries speak Sylvan, but some could learn also Elven and Common.

Lifespan
    Faeries usually become adults at 40 years old and they usually die of old age when they are 300 years old.

Names
    Faeries are given names at the moment of their birth. They usually have two names: one given by parents and their clan's name.
    When they grow up, some faeries choose to adopt a third elven name.

Racial Traits

+4 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Cos. Faeries are swift and sociable (with those they approach) but they are weak and frail.

Fey type. Tiny size: +2 bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.

A faery's base land speed is 15 feet. Their fly speed is 60 feet (perfect maneuverability).

Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Low-light vision.

Weapon Proficiency: Faeries are automatically proficient with the Two-Bladed Sword, Spear, Short Bow, Composite Short Bow, Longbow and with the Composite Longbow.

+2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Hide checks.

Special Abilities: Faeries can change their size into Diminutive or Small size at will with a move action. They can use Speak with Animals as the spell at will, at a caster level equal to their HD.

Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Common. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Draconic, Elven, Gnome, Ignan, Terran.

Favored Class: Scout.

Level Adjustment: +2

Opinions? Comments?
    Last edited by CinuzIta; 2013-03-31 at 12:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 Race] Faery - Peach appreciated

With the size change, is it assumed that they alter their ability scores, AC, etc along with that? If so, it's a lot of bookkeeping for the player.

Maybe a single Alternate Form of small size that has a few simple changes?
    My Winter Warrior sweeps the awards at Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition X!
    Avatar by Mr. Saturn ** My Homebrew Signature[/SIZE]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

aye, changing size also alter all of the size related abilities..

Mmh, what do you mean by simple changes? Something like ability boost?

on a side note, I'd also appreciate grammar corrections if needed:p

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It's 6-8 inches tall and it is racially proficient with... 2h swords? I'd suggest making a note that these weapons should be adjusted to their size, otherwise they are too large for a faery to wield.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    It's 6-8 inches tall and it is racially proficient with... 2h swords? I'd suggest making a note that these weapons should be adjusted to their size, otherwise they are too large for a faery to wield.
    well, it's quite obvious that their weapons are proportionated to their size...I mean, I believe you would not create a sword you can't wield, and so would do the faeries' smiths :P

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    By default, creatures wield weapons that are suited to their sizes. So two-handed swords for a creature this small are just tiny two-handed swords.

While it may be proficient with larger two-handed swords, it isn't large enough to wield them, so...problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by CinuzIta View Post
    +4 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Cos. Faeries are swift and sociable (with those they approach) but they are weak and frail.
    Seems reasonable.

Fey type. Tiny size: +2 bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.

A faery's base land speed is 15 feet. Their fly speed is 60 feet (perfect maneuverability).
    I'm a bit worried about a 60ft perfect fly speed for LA +1. That's a bit absurd.

Special Abilities: Faeries can change their size into Diminutive or Small size at will with a move action. They can use Speak with Animals as the spell at will, at a caster level equal to their HD.
    This further makes it to good for LA +1. They can use Small size whenever being larger is advantageous, and yet they can get all the benefits and evasiveness of the smaller size as well. Combined with a fly speed, it makes them to strong for LA +1. It's probably a high +2, mainly because of the Fly speed. Probably low +3 if it gains strength and dexterity score modifications from size changing.

My rough estimate, anyway.

Also note that this is INSANE for a spellcaster: the Dex bonus, Charisma bonus, fly speed, the potential +4 size bonus to AC, and further potential Dex increases from size shrinking down to Diminutive make this INCREDIBLY strong for spellcasting classes for the price of just LA +1.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2013-01-24 at 04:55 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post

1. I'm a bit worried about a 60ft perfect fly speed for LA +1. That's a bit absurd.

2. This further makes it to good for LA +1. They can use Small size whenever being larger is advantageous, and yet they can get all the benefits and evasiveness of the smaller size as well. Combined with a fly speed, it makes them to strong for LA +1. It's probably a high +2, mainly because of the Fly speed. Probably low +3 if it gains strength and dexterity score modifications from size changing.
    My rough estimate, anyway.
    1. Eh, I knew that was maybe too much.

2. I was also worried about that. Point is, I've wanted to represent both their shy nature and their ""aggressive"" nature, making them able to hide or to fight when necessary.
    They do not get Str or other ability bonus when getting Small, just the size-related modificators [meaning +1 bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters. These would actually be penalties (with the exception of grapple checks), since they see their size modificators get halved: the only good part of this is being able of wielding bigger weapons]

What la would you reccomend for these class as it is right now? +2? Or +3?

And if it was to be ported to a +1 level adjustment, what would you change? Would giving them Fly speed 50 (Good) [or 60 (good)] be reasonable? And what about the size thing?
    (and if, say if, I also want to create a la+0 version? what should I change?)
    Last edited by CinuzIta; 2013-01-24 at 05:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

These seem an awful like Sprites in the SRD. LA +2 or higher.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    What is a Fairy's type and subtype? You left that off.

Debby
    I have, they are fey type. It's stated after their ability adjustments, in the same paragraph of the size:)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I saw that you actually had the Type there so I went back and deleted my first post (but I messed it up and ended up double posting by accident). I've now removed first post. Sorry about that.

I think that the LA is +2 though and not +1. +1 for flight and +1 to change size.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-01-25 at 09:33 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

i see, don't worry about that:)

Would changing the fly maneuverability to good reduce the la?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CinuzIta View Post
    i see, don't worry about that:)

Would changing the fly maneuverability to good reduce the la?
    Not one bit. Flight alone is usually worthy of at least +1 LA for any maneuverability, simply because it enables you to bypass a number of obstacles. I'd probably drop I down anyway though, as very few things that fly with wings have perfect maneuverability.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

okay, so I'll just label it as a la+2 race:)